Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 2: Premiering tonight at seven point thirty on Channel nine, a very special premiere of the Block. They are celebrating their twentieth season. It's crazy, I did say. They're doing it on an island, Block Island and Phillip Island down to Victoria. The host has been doing it for eighteen of those twenty years, joins us. Now it is Scott cam Welcome to the pickup Scottie.
Speaker 3: Oh good guys, here you go.
Speaker 4: I love Scott debunk this for me. You have been hosting for eighteen seasons. And we heard this rumor that you were originally discovered drinking a beer in a pub just like regular bloke when a producers like stumbled in and said, hey, we need a new host.
Speaker 1: Is there any truth to that?
Speaker 3: Well, it's close to that, it's not quite true because actually it was twenty five years ago and there was a producer in the pub looking for a carpenter for a TV show to screen test. He was screen testing three or four or five carpenters, and he saw that I was chatting away and and I was a carpenter, and I had the ut out the front with a sign riding and all that sort of Thing and the Dog, and he wanted He asked me to do a screencip for a TV show called Backyard Blitz. Oh yeah, So I said no, that wasn't my go you know, I didn't know anything about television. So he rang me the next day off my ute sign riding, got my number, rang me the next day and he came to my building. So I did a screen test and I got the job on Backyard Blitz.
Speaker 4: That's insane.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: The right place, right time, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Twenty or eighteen?
Speaker 3: Twenty five years later? I've been doing the Block for eight aen seasons because I've done about ten or so or more shows for Channel nine, Building related, most of them but some not. And the Block I started probably sixteen years ago.
Speaker 1: But so much has changed on the Block over the last twenty seasons. And I think we've seen this across all reality TV shows that over the years they've kind of lent a little bit more into drama. And it was something I noticed on the last season of the Block that there was there was just a bit more friction and fighting between the contestants. Do you think that that drama is like it's something that's being manufactured at all, or do you think it's genuinely that the contestants are having such a tricky time dealing with each other.
Speaker 3: Well, look, you know what, I just want to clarify that we don't manufacture drama on our show. Some shows do that, Yeah, and that's fine. We do not manufacture drama on the show. It's organic. It happens. And I think also it's just the style of person that goes on the Telly because back in the day, it was the first reality shows like The Block that were on air, so people didn't know what the outcome was, what to expect, And now people are there watching this style of television for twenty years. So the people that come on they want to maybe be famous, they maybe want to be influencers, you know, and so they're fighting for position, jocking for position.
Speaker 4: Scott, have you ever clashed with one of the contestants on or off screen? But like, there's got to be over eighteen seasons, there's got to be someone that you just didn't get along with.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, And it's not off the camera. It's always on camera. I don't you know, I certainly don't take anything home with me, but I'll let him know how I feel on camera, and I'm sure the folks at home understand how I feel because I wear my heart on the sleeve. I work hard. I've been doing it for a long time, and so I you know, one thing I am, you know, really hard against is laziness on the show. Thousands and thousands of people come on the show want to get on the show. And if you've got the opportunity to be on the show, so you've got to work hard and make every post a winner. And if you're not working hard and you're lazy, that really irks me because there's so many people that want to be and so I really call that out all the time.
Speaker 2: Scott, I want to ask, what's your take on the logis this year? It's this week this Sunday, Actually Gold LOGI everyone's talking about because you know, little Robert Irwin's nominated and there's controversy if he won it. Do you think if he win wins it, do you think as a gold LOGI win yourself well deserved or should it go to someone who's been in the industry for decades?
Speaker 3: Oh? I don't think you have to be in the industry for decades. I think it's based on your past year's work. You know, Robert's deserving. Everybody's deserving there, and it's a public boat, and you know, good on him. I can tay that because I've got one, so it doesn't matter. Yeah, where is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've checked out.
Speaker 2: Where do we keep it? Actually, where's the gold?
Speaker 1: LOGI?
Speaker 3: It's in my dining room, next to the silver and the twelve.
Speaker 2: And they'll get another line of this season, the twentieth season of the Blog a Phillip Island. It's going to be a good one tonight, premiering seven thirty on Channel nine and nine. Now, Scott, thanks for joining the pickup.
Speaker 3: Hey, good on your guys.
Speaker 2: S thank you all right back after this on the Pickup