Speaker 1: Well, this is our final episode of The Nutrition Couch for twenty twenty three, and we thought perhaps just to mix it up a little bit, we might take some of your questions because literally every week we have many many questions come through that we don't always get you on the podcast. So today for our final episode, is all about you and your questions as we wrap up a very big year. Hi, I'm Susie Burrow and Emily and Wad and each week we bring you The Nutrition Couch, the bi weekly podcast that keeps you up to date on everything you need to know in the world of nutrition. So Leanne, it's been a big year. We have been working on a number of projects for both the podcast and for expanding I guess some of the work we do in writing and presenting, and we're planning some events for early twenty twenty four. We'll be off to share with you in the new year. And we've been writing a lot because we've perhaps have a little book coming out again later in four so we thought it was a nice opportunity to have just a little bit of a chat. I think we also wanted to say a very big thank you to our very loyal audience, to have an opportunity and work to affect people's lives so positively is very I guess moving, you know, it certainly has a lot of meaning. And we get so many case studies of clients who are not even clients but listeners who have taken advice that we have shared over the last two and a half for almost three years and literally change their lives. You know, I hear twenty thirty fifty kilo weight losses just off the back of the podcast, and that is really powerful stuff. So we just want to thank you because your incredibly loyal audience. You know, you follow everything we do whenever we produce products. You're very supportive of that, and you know, we really love what we do. We love engaging with you guys. We learn so much from you and we feel that that informs our practice. And yeah, it's just that time of the year where we sort of reflecting and think we've done really some hard work. But we're also very great to our audience and we don't want to ever take that for granted. So it was a big also thank you, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Absolutely And we love but also not love whenever we shout out some products on the podcast. They sent tend to sell out on the supermarkets. Whenever Susan and I go to buy them, they're all sold out. But thank you for your support.
Speaker 1: Guy, which is the case with my DIP the other day in Coles. I was like, I've got to be right.
Speaker 2: I've got so many dms about people saying that it's sold out, and I was like, I blame Susie for telling people about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so go to Audi and get their one dollar fifty version cheaper. But yeah, so I think we also should have a big shout out to the team who helps us as well, because there are people behind the scenes. Of course, Leann's husband, David does all of our shit, I can say it, so he's sort of the third member of the podcast who cleans up all of our mistakes. And he's our tech guy, all our tech and all our legal anything we need. So we love him and we'll definitely get him some Christmas presents. We should shout out to Bronti, who is nutritionist who works with me, who does all about social media, any of our ebooks she puts together. She works really hard. We're always amazing headline. We're asking her to do things at ridiculous hours, So a big thank you to Brontie. We should also think Dan who does all our photography work and for our upcoming book. He's also a legend. He helps me with my website as well, so he's another legend. And who else to podcast our podcast?
Speaker 2: He's all over. We sent him episodes at the last minut because SUSI we always laying fat and forget to record and we're always late, and he covers our butts pretty much every time. And also my sister Nicky as well does who does.
Speaker 1: All our proofreading all our stuff is great. There's always lots of various so yeah, there are a big team in growing who really help us, and we wanted to say big thank you to them as well, because yeah, it takes a lot of people to bring all this stuff together for you guys. But that's enough emotional stuff obviously had and I aren't overly emotional, but we're going to answer your questions. So I had a lot come through this time. I just popped it up on Instagram the other day, so we're gonna churn through them before we wrap it up, and we'll be back in that first week of January. The first Sunday with a bumper episode. I've already got the lineup, so let's just take turns. I'm going to send one to you first. Yann, is lunch meat like chicken and turkey unhealthy?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a good eat to start us off. I'll definitely say things like ham are something that you should be limiting in your diet because of the research around the processed types of red meat and increasing the risk of certain types of cancers. But when it comes to chicken and turkey, it depends on the type. Like if I go into my deli it say, my local supermarket, I can get that really good quality, Like it's literally the roast chicken then pulled like off a barbecue chick, or they call it roast chicken, but you can clearly see it's a very processed type of chicken. So I think when it's not clearly chicken and turkey, it's more of that overly processed stuff I think we should be minimizing in our diet because it is a more processed type of protein. There's added salt into it as well, and there's sometimes a few other kind of added nutrients in there as well. So I don't love it. I think it's a quick and easy option, but I would say kind of be limiting that way possible, and if you can, you know, batch cook some chicken breast itself or some turkey breast itself on the weekend and then kind of freeze it into you know, small amounts or you know, separate portions of that way you can use that during the week. I always think fresh is best, and when it comes to things like lunch meats and deli meats, there is a more processed element to it than if you were to cook your own from scratch in terms of just like a chicken breast fill it. So it's not certainly a lot better than other things like you know, stopping past KFC for lunch, for example, But I don't think we want too much of that in our diets, particularly for small children, because the sodium content can be quite high. What are your thoughts.
Speaker 1: I think that we have to acknowledge that there is an association between meats that contain nitrate, which is any cured and processed meat, so that things like tritzso precudo salami, and this growing range of kids snack food which we are also going to cover in the New Year, which is full of processed meat, Like what about all these Twigi sticks and like process meat and crackers marketed to kids the Going gangluses in the supermarket, So you know, they are associated with damage to the digestive track, which is associated with an increased risk of gut cancer. So I think at most you wouldn't want to include process meat of any form in your diet more than once or twice a week, particularly if you've got a family the history of Bower cancer. So I think, I you know, and this just shows the difference between ideal and reality. Certainly, I use ham on my kids sandwiches sometimes. Now they're offered at the wament they haven't had it, but there was a period I was putting it on. But you know, we have to acknowledge the research that, particularly for those with a family history of bowercans, you do need to be careful. And that's a good reminder coming into the festive season. Just go easy on things like the salami. It really is not great for us. And fresh like you describe roasted meat, seafood, etc. I'm much much better, and we are going to cover that as a podcast because I have a real concern with you know, snack packs of chicken crimpies which have added MSG and then some processed meat to go along with it. How that has slipped into supermarkets without anyone kicking up a farce, I'm not quite sure, but that's certainly not what I'd be putting in my kids launch boxes as a snack. All right. The best way to control weight if you're having surgery and can't exercise, and certainly I've had clients this year with that who have had ankle reconstructions and they can't move. Now it's a bit of a conundrum in isn't it land, because you don't want to staff when they're healing. You know, surgery is still significant. They still need certain amounts of protein. So some guidelines that I give are clients in that support is drop the stacks, you know, stick to meals and perhaps just make them a lot smaller so you're not moving. You are losing probably a few hundred calories of movement. But you want to tick the box on protein. So I might say to my clients, instead of having two eggs and two toes for breakfast, still have two eggs, which just have one toes, So just drop the color hydrate down a little bit. I also encourage them to have one, so they might have a soup and a piece of chicken breast, so they're still getting a lot of low calorie bulk and the protein, but getting rid of all the little extras. So I think there's also a psychological component that you're lying in a bed, you're going out of your mind, so you might need a little chocolate to get you through. But I think in general, if you cut the snacks out and just concentrate on very fresh, whole food, it will naturally drop the calories and you certainly won't need to snack. So put your meal times back. You might not need breakfast to eight or nine, then lunch at one, so you shorten the day. You're not having something to eat at six, and then trying to fill all those hours is another trick as well.
Speaker 2: I was going to say same thing, just in terms of reducing the snacks, Like for a lot of people we add the snacks on when the exercise goes up or where we are moving a lot more if you're not only not exercising, but you're also not really walking, like if you're lying in a better a couch for six weeks trying to recover, you actually need significantly less than if you are exercising, plus doing that day to day kind of general movement that you're doing as well. So I think for most people who are basically not moving, sitting on a couch or lying in a bed recovering, basically three solid, you know, well balanced meals each day should be enough on most days, and just really listen to your hunger. Like Susie said, there's absolutely what I call a head component to it. Most of us are lying, they're feeling sorry for ourselves, thinking we deserve a treat because we're recovering and wanting to eat and snack and have extra chocolates and that sort of thing. And that's all well and good. But the more that you have, the more your weight will go up. And that's the hardest thing we see with clients Susie that say, you know, I rolled my ankle and I couldn't exercise for eight weeks, and my weight, you know, I went up five ten kilos, or I had a knee reconstruction, and my weight went up because I kept eating the same amount. If you're doing less activity or less exercise, less movement, you certainly need to eat less because your body doesn't actually require the additional fuel because you're moving left. So the best way to control your weight is just to reduce the snacks or remove them entirely if you really, you know, lying in a bed and you're really not doing much movement at all.
Speaker 1: Alrightly, And what's your favorite new product of twenty twenty three, Well, you.
Speaker 2: Know mine already. It's the Coal's Mini minsticks. Boody obsessed with them. They're so good that all the perform soups, which should developed by a sports digition. I will say I've eaten a lot of those performed soups this year because they're good protein, good five but there's a good amount of veggie. There's some legoons in them. Like through that postpartum period when I had Tilly, like that was through winter, I would eat I reckon four or five of them a week, no joke. We just didn't have time to meal prep two little kids under two. I was back into full time work at you know, four or five weeks, like it was. It was a crazy time. I look back, I'm like, how was that only four months ago? How did I do that? But I relied heavily on coals perform soups and coals minip midsticks.
Speaker 1: Well that's production because they sort of had not enough for ages and then they've got them back in there. I noticed the other day they have put the price up as well. I noticed another dollar. Thanks for that. But last year they had like coal's. We talked about Christmas foods a couple of weeks ago. I've been looking for them because I'm waiting for them to come back, but I don't think they are. There was like mini ice creams of like a Santa and like a penguin. That was so I know, and they were last year and they haven't brought them back. A bit sad about that because they were quite locale too, and they had that Bubbalo Bill consistency of that ice cream. Because ice creams are either made like a like an icy ice block like a paddle pop, or a creamy one like a Bubblo Bill, and they were the creamy type.
Speaker 2: Which is the best type.
Speaker 1: So I was a bit sad about that. Yeah, my favorite product is the Yumi's Mediterranean Vegetable Dip. I just can't get enough of that, and I love us snack plate and dips are so difficult because really like playing beech with at tazeki is just not the same. But at this I've been just eating bucketloads of it. I love it. So that's my favorite product. I think I haven't thought too deeply, but that's on my mind at the moment. So that's a good one, all right. So what's next? Oh? What inspired us to be a dietitian? I actually don't know this. I know my answer, but I don't know yours. Why did you become a dietician? Because it was your mother? It was a sophie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was always healthy. She was always into nutrition and cooking. But for me, it was always something to do with health and helping people, like my three picks. You know, all through high school, I either wanted to be a doctor, a physio, or a dietitian. And I landed with dietetics because I did my work experience. You know in year eleven year, go away for a week and you go to you know a place and you do work experience. I did it with a physio and my hands were just destroyed in my back, like leaning over a bed all day, like just massaging people. I was like I can't do this. I was like, nah, I can't, can't do physio, and then medicine. I was like, oh I didn't. I didn't quite get the marks like I think pretty much you needed like the op one, and I didn't quite get that, so I always had to do it further additional study, and I was like, no, I just want to go do something straight away. So dietetics it was. And I've always loved food, always wanted to help people, so it was an easy kind of an easy pathway for me. Anyway, what about you, Well, I've.
Speaker 1: Never seen your touch David and him a massage, so I can't be very hands on with the feet anyway.
Speaker 2: I don't do feat well.
Speaker 1: I because I wanted to be a sports dititian. I like the rugby league. It was the Brisbane Broncos actually they like Well, there was an article in I think like New Idea when magazines were massive about Holly Frail, who's still a dietitian. Now she was the Brisbane Broncos dietician. I'm talking like this reveals how old I am. I'm talking like nineteen was in year ten, must have been like nineteen ninety three, And I just thought oh, how fab Like what a great joe she was Hailey Lewis's dietician two And I liked the swimming, and I thought, can I say, Hailey Lewis's on Instagram? She looks amazing? People amazing? And I thought, what a great job, Like you got to talk to people a dakes, some very nosy and everyone eats, and you could do this the athletes, Like I just thought that was the best job. And then I always wanted to do sports dutition and I did. And yeah, the boys were great when I was younger, but the novelty certainly wore off. And I sort of, as I've evolved, become much more interested in women's health, and I think going through those phases yourself. But yeah, I always wanted to be a dietician from when I was fifteen, never wavered, and now I should have been I did well in economics, I should have done that. I would have made heapes more money. But I always wanted to be a dietician. So it's been in me since I was fifteen, which is many years. I work reveal how many, but a lot all rush. What's the next one? We've got there? A bit more foody is it okay to have hydrolyte every day to help with migraines? And I had a question about this actually just today, not even this one. So this is pertinent at this time of year when it's very hot.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not even going to answer that question to start with, but I would say, why are you having migraines every day? I think that you need to go and get that investigated. Like having migraines every single day isn't normal. So I would say go to a professional, a doctor as a starting point, and had that investigated. It could potentially be a food chemical reaction within your diet. Some people are very sensitive to certain types of food chemicals which can promote migraines. Might be perimenopause, a lot of migraines, could be an underlying health condition, could be excessive amounts of stress, Like there's got to be a trigger for the migrams. You need to figure that out. But I don't really see too much wrong with having a hydrolt But it's really to support the electrolyte imbalance is in you. And I don't really think migraines are for the most part from an electrolyte and balance. Unless you're like a roufo, you're in the hot sun constantly, you're just sweating it out. I don't really think that an electrolyte drink would be not that it's going to do you any real harm, but I don't really think it's a it's a solution. You kind of whacking a band aid on something that really needs a proper investigation as to why.
Speaker 1: True. Absolutely, you know, we would certainly encourage someone to get the medical aspects sorted. I think I didn't have an issue with hydralte. Generally, it's pretty low load. I think if you're someone who's a salty sweater, I'm living in really hot conditions exercising, you know, don't have much sugar. So I don't have a problem with it as a product. But yeah, I definitely we certainly want you to make sure the migraines are being managed properly. All Right, The best way to make New Year's resolutions that stick?
Speaker 2: This is a really good question. That's a great question. I personally you need to coach, Like this year, I had big goals my businesses. I'm about to launch a business together Susie and I and I've got three others so I have four businesses by twenty twenty four. I have a coach. I think we all need a coach. I think the best way to make a resolution stick is to actually stay accountable and hire a coach, whether that's a nutrition coach, your business coacher, a wellness coach, whatever it might be. I really do think we're better with accountability. And second to that, I think that your goals actually need to be realistic. I mean realistically. If your goal is to lose thirty kilos and you put on thirty kilos, say over ten years, don't give yourself eight weeks to get off thirty kilos because it's not going to happen. So actually be realistic with the goals that you're setting because if they're unrealistic, you're not actually going to achieve them, which is going to drop your motivation. You're going to fall off the wagon. So need to be realistic, and you need to have some form of accountability in order to make those goals stick, because, let's be real, life is busy, it's challenging, there are crappy days, there are good days. In order to get you on track and keep you moving towards those goals, you often need somebody who is outside of your immediate circle to keep you accountable to those goals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing better than having that level of support. One hundred percent. I couldn't agree more. I think at a lower level, if you are self managing for whatever reason, I think you've got to set goals that you actually like. So one of the things I see all the time is people going to the gym and they hate it, or expecting themselves to eating certain foods they don't even like, following meal plans that don't have any of their foods that they enjoy. You have to create a lifestyle balance of exercise, diet that you actually enjoy and then it doesn't feel restrictive and it's sustainable. So I think really question going into the new year, what you know you need to move more, How are you going to do it in a way that you enjoy? Is it making a weekly walking date or a daily walking date with a neighbor or a friend. Is it that you need to pay for a personal trainer because you hate the gym and you won't do it without like, be honest with yourself and create a regime and a diet that you actually like doing and then it's easy. It's when we try and make ourselves do stuff we don't like because there's a belief that that's how you should do it, that it's never sustainable. Another one for you, my calorie deficit queen, how do you include olive oil but keep your calories in deficit?
Speaker 2: Ooh, that one's tough. Yeah, I really think you have to be smart with your fat choices, Like I think it has to kind of be the only, if not one of two fat choices in the meal. So if you're going to have, you know, nuts and avocado and olive oil in the meal, you're gonna have a really hard time sticking to a deficit. You might need to pull back slightly on the carbohydrate load in the meal in order to have a bit more of a fat buffer. But it's something that I would probably say for most of my clients. I'm not using it in every single recipe absolutely, because it is just really really tricky to get in a deficit. It's much better to really focus on having good quality anti inflammatory facts regularly. Once you're back at maintenance calories. It is pretty tight for a lot of people to do in a deficit. But you're just gonna have to look at your balance of good fats and bad fats. And to be honest, too many of us in a deficit are letting the extra chocolates and sol foods and you know, additional things slip in which has got the opposite of those good quality anti inflammatory facts. We need to just kind of try to replace some of the extra snack foods with a little bit of extra you know, olive oil in addressing your to cook our protein and that sort of thing. But it's a tough one. It can be done, but you have to look at the overall quality of your diet and I'd say it's probably really tricky to included in every meal, but I would say at least a couple of times a week. Make that your goal. When you're in a calorie deficit, and when you're out of a deficit, eating back at maintenance calories, I'd aim to include at least a portion of it every day because we have so much good quality research to show us how powerful it is in terms of anti inflammatory you know, of food in terms.
Speaker 1: Of our diet. Yeah, it's interesting because I never have trouble with clients having too much extravagionarly oil. But I have way trouble with clients having too much mayonnaise, too much butter on their toes too. So I think we choose the fats we want and we forget. So I generally, if the other fats are under control, I don't generally count the oil in cooking if it's in a moderate amerk. So like if I'm just doing, say something's a bit of veggies in the pan. So say I'm doing veggies for the whole family in the pan, and I pour a bit of oil, I'm not looking at that. It's not excessive. But I do think you have to be careful with your poor because people will pour too much. So if you do, you're in trouble. Yeah, so I think you know, sort of once today within reason, but certainly I'm not then drizzling it on my salad as well, So I think, you know, just be mindful. In my experience, it's the other fats that are much more of the issue than the oil, and people then having avocado as well. So I personally tend to just use oil as my main fat. I don't tend to add anything else. But if you add, you then you're gonna have to be a bit more mindful of the portions. Okay, what's another one we've got here? Oh, this is interesting, A chance of capsicums, okay, because the fresh are so expensive, and I don't disagree. So those capsicums, now, I bought four in Coals, the five dollars ninety pack, and one was rotten, which is just so upsetting because they are so expensive now here in Sydney. At the moment, they're between six and eight dollars a kilo. The red capsicums, which are the sort of most powerful. Actually, then the orange capsicums are the best in terms of antioxidants, particularly for the eye, and then the red and the yellow are after that. So you don't see orange very often. But I would say even when I go to the markets, like because I go to the markets when I can in Sydney, even then, some the capskins are still five dollars a kilo, So they're just one of those foods that just must be short supplied. I think they're hard to keep fresh. They go off quickly. But you know what, I've been using the minis. Have you seen in coals they've got the minis? Yeah, I love them.
Speaker 2: They're good, and they're.
Speaker 1: Actually much more cost effective and already have them too, I think, and they look really pretty on platters, so I use those. But in answer the question, yeah, got jars of any kind of vegetables. They might have a little bit of salt, but in general they're fine, so go for it.
Speaker 2: Tapscuins tend to be in quite a lot of oil as well, so if you are watching the weight, I just tend to kind of dry it off a ring stuff a little bit as well.
Speaker 1: And that's the same with olives too, like just strain. You've got to get rid of that extra off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally okay, Yeah, yeah, definitely from a budget perspective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a question about protein water, and I had a question about this again. I think just today even a client saying to me is that okay if she drinks it in the hot weather.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Protein waters have got about thirty grams of protein per how many meals? Is that?
Speaker 2: Likeway?
Speaker 1: So I have only really used them with bariatric patients who were really struggling to get their protein intake up. I would generally not prescribe them for anyone unless they were insufficient in protein because they're I tea. What I don't like, and you might disagree with me, a lot of the functioning of the nutrients in protein, calcium, magnesium. It's the synergistic effect of all those nutrients coming together for absorption. So as soon as you're just isolated in water, I worry about absorption levels. So it's not my go to. I think if you were sort of had a limited food choice, so say you're you can't get vegan protein water anyway, But just say you were strict vegetarian, you didn't have a lot of food choice and you needed more protein. Sure, but it's certainly not something I generally prescribe for clients.
Speaker 2: No. One of the questions is protein water good if you're a vegetarian? So I mean, I think yes, if you're a limited vegetarian, right, if you don't like Tofuo tempe, you're not a big bean person.
Speaker 1: You don't need eggs.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you need to find your protein some way, so yes, but look, have you tried them. I've tried the other brands, and just you don't have to post about it. Just tried it. I was like, God, I wouldn't post about that even if you paid me, Like it's awful.
Speaker 1: We're not getting a protein water endorsement.
Speaker 2: Bolly Butcher that on for us. But they're so sweet. But they are based on wpis so they're not a lot of clients who my clients are dairy free, they say, oh, can I have this to get my protein up? And I say, well, if you want to have dairy shore because it's actually based on dairy. So if you're vegan on plant based, they're not going to be an option for you because they are based on way based protein isolate powder. But yeah, they can be an option, but they're overly sweet, and I would say it's a last resort kind of option. It's definitely not what we will consider. I mean, it's not like it's a processed food, but it's also not like a whole food either. You're far better to get your protein if you're vegetarian, for some good quality Greek yo get eggs tofu beans. But you know, it can be used as a as an additional boost if you need to. But I think for most of us rather far too little protein or we're just having far too much, Like it's protein, protein, protein everything. I went to a conference last week Susie and we were sitting there having morning tea and there was a coffee card and they were all the pastries out, and this lady on my table is saying, oh, no, I'm watching my weight. I want to die. I can't have all that. So I just went and got a coffee and came back and I took my arms from my bag and she did the same thing. She got a green tea, came back and pulled out these protein chips from her bag and I was like, oh, that's interesting. And she's like, oh, yeah, I know the Pindus and started ranching on about how Heal's coach had recommended them, and I just was like, oh good God, Like they probably gost her eight dollars a thing. But I just think in the day and age we live in, protein can sometimes just be too much, like protein chips, like just too much.
Speaker 1: Honestly.
Speaker 2: So if you need it, yes, but I think for most of us we're trying to overdo the protein. It's just not necessary for a.
Speaker 1: Lot of us. There is a whole new range of protein snack chips in the aisles at Bullies. I saw, and we'll look at some of those in the new year, because some of them had some quite serious additives to them, So I was like, God, they're so misleading in terms of the quality of the product. All Rightlyn, this is another really good word. How do you beat and take control of constant sugar cravings?
Speaker 2: I think it really comes down to the balance of your meal. If you're eating high cars, if you're eating sweets all day long, if you're starting your day with a really sweet breakfast. And this is where we're actually going to talk about some research in this in the New year, SUSI, I think it comes down to the balance of your meal. If you're not eating enough protein, and more is not better, but you need to be getting for most people twenty to thirty grams per meal. You need a good balance of protein, a good balance of higher fiber carbohydrates. So you know, a roasted jacket potato, or some brown rice or kinmera or you might do you know, a couple slices of whole grain bread. You want a good portion of higher fiber carbohydrate. You want a good portion of healthy vats, whether that's avocado, olive oil, awesome olives, maybe a bit of cheese or something as well. And then of course we want two to three cups per meal at lunch and then again at dinner of vegetables and salad. And if you're not balancing your meals at properly, absolutely you're going to have way more sugar craves than you ideally should. And then the second part of that ZUZI what I just call head hunger. Where what are the sweet cravings? What are they being driven from?
Speaker 1: Is it stress?
Speaker 2: Is it you're wanting to reward yourself. Is it more like habit based because after dinner every night you immediately crave something sweet when you sit down in front of the TV. Actually ask yourself, like, are the sweet cravings at the same time each day? Is it triggered by something in my environment like turning on the TV or relaxing on the couch after work. Actually ask yourself some questions around these sweet cravings, because if that's head based hunger a lot of the time, if you're not balancing your meals, it's driving those cravings. But then the head hunger that I call it, the emotion behind it, is then further driving it even stronger and making it really really hard to resist. So actually ask yourself some questions about that craving. Where are they coming from what's my environment, like what's my day being? Like what are the things or the thoughts that I'm telling myself And I might give you a better indication of I guess what's making these cravings harder to handle?
Speaker 1: And I had a client message to me, I've got terrible sugar cravings. I was like, eat something wholesome and nourishing. Don't give in, because as soon as you give in, it just drives it. It lights the brain up. So you're right, it's getting the baseline diet sorted and making sure this adequate carb, protein and bulk. But my rule across the board for myself everyone, no sweet food in the day for women in particular, hormonially driven programming, insulent issues, whatever it is, as soon as you break the seal, it's like when you got to the toilet after twenty five beers. Like, as soon as you start the sweet food, it will continue all day. So it's you know, if you're someone who likes sweets and you know you have something after dinner shore but you've got a hold tight because I guarantee you if you crack open the pastry in the morning or the chocolate in the afternoon, you will just keep munching all day. So that is a very strong rule that might take a couple of times to break the habit. But you've got to get off the sweet stuff because it just makes you want more of it. And then our final question for the Helien, is there anything that you wish you knew when you were studying nutrition?
Speaker 2: Honestly, no, Like I think the whole point about nutrition science is that it constantly changes and evolved. So am I a completely dietician to what I was eleven twelve years ago when I graduated. Absolutely, because I know so much more now. Some of it is experienced and others is just you know, trialing things with clients, and others is just because the nutrition science has actually changed in the last ten years. So I don't think I wish that there was anything new that I learned. Like I think the things I know now how I help my clients now, the science wasn't available back then, you know. So I can't think of anything that comes to mind that I wish that I knew when I was in your graduate What about you?
Speaker 1: Oh, I wish I knew to take good food photos early. It was late to the party of that, But no, not really, like I think in terms of career, because I think this is coming from a student studying nutrition. I think my advice as a career is to take every opportunity really early, because I think sometimes we're programmed to wait until you sort of finish a degree and then start. But a lot of the opportunities I had came because I did a lot of work experience when I was studying. So if nutrition is your thing, you want to start doing the stuff now, you know, volunteer for work experience, look for opportunities like I worked at Ant's Biscuits, but I was still a student. So I think that you can see and we see this even when we call for volunteers. You know, people who are ready to get right in and get stuck into it, even as students are the ones that go above and beyond. So I think, just look for opportunities early, and you know, get your social media going, and you know, get immersed in the products at the supermarket, and you know, I find that, you know, in general, people trying to cut corners. So if you like to start writing now, like there's nothing holding you back, particularly in this day and age, you know, you can get stuff on YouTube, you can write straight away, you can do recipes, So if that's your interest and goal, don't wait to get started. And also, I think in this day and age, it's about having a niche as well. You know, like there's so many dieticians nutrition us online. I just see, you know, hundreds and hundreds of people selling the same message. Well, you've got to differentiate. So you've really got to get a niche and something that you communicate or talk about differently. So I think you know, whatever that is, you want to develop a different niche and model because there's a million dieticians nutritions out there and you've got to be differentiated in the market, all right. Lean Well, that brings us to the end of our final episode for twenty twenty three. We can't thank you enough for your support. We hope you have a restual and relaxing holiday. We hope that you prioritize your movement and don't let your diet just go just give up on it, you know, keep the consistency there. And it's a really nice chance for all of us to reset and get on track for a very healthy twenty twenty four and we will be back in the first week of January to motivate and excite you about a big new year. So Merry Christmas and thank you.
Speaker 2: We'll be back on January the seventh. Sunday, January the seventh, so listen out for us and we can't thank you enough for all of your love and support this year. We couldn't have done it without you, guys. Continue listening, continue sharing the podcast, and have a very RESTful and enjoyable Christmas. A year