Speaker 1: Picture this.
Speaker 2: You just win yourself big cash on a scratchy on the lotto, you win big, you go to celebrate with your partner and they say to you, hey, we're splitting this, right. That's a tricky conversation, I think a conversation that I think people think about when they go and buy that a lot of ticket. Do you get to keep all the money or do you share it with your partner?
Speaker 1: Well, it depends on how long you've been with your partner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. Have you been with them a hot second? Are you married, live with them kids?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Have listened to this. So this is a situation that's currently unfolding on Facebook.
Speaker 2: It's going super viral at the moment. A young mum has won the lotto. She won, we don't know exactly how much, but she says it was half her yearly salary, So we can assume, you know, maybe thirty forty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they're still a lot of money. But it's not like twelve million dollar win, is it. No one's quitting their day job.
Speaker 2: So listen, we know for a fact they were together for four years. They've been together four years. She says she won the lot of ticket that she bought on a whim. By the way, she just went walked in, grabbed a lot of ticket and won the money. She turned to the boyfriend and she said, you know, I'm going to put the money towards my kids. They're college, maybe do some upgrades to the house. He turns to her and says, what about my half? What about my heart? This is going super viral. She's come out and said, look, if I'd won six million, I'd have no problem giving him half because it would be so easy to live off three million. But a quarter of one new salary won't help me.
Speaker 1: Much, is what she said. If she splits it with him. So the internet's now saying, no, here's your partner, split it with him.
Speaker 3: I actually reading some of the comments now, I'm actually suok.
Speaker 1: Someone's like, is.
Speaker 3: Half the plot worth more than your relationship? If it is, then you shouldn't be in the relationship. I call him BS on this. I think if she's one, if we're going with like thirty to forty thousand dollars, if she has won that and she wants to put that towards her kids, they don't live together.
Speaker 1: They're not married. She bought the ticket. I'm sorry. She can do with the what she wants.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I think it's very I mean it's very dependent though, brit I also think if you're living together, then you're de facto if you were to separate, he probably could get some of it anyway. Like I think that there's many factors that kind of change it. But if you're not living together, it's just your boyfriend. You've been together for four years and you have kids yourself that you have to take care of.
Speaker 1: Hi you're responsible for. I think it's kind of rich of him to ask for you to also think of it this way.
Speaker 2: Imagine if she had got that thirty thousand dollars from anything other than a lot of win I mean a work bonus.
Speaker 1: No one's getting thirty k work bonuses, but a work bonus or a big tax return. Right. You don't split that money with your partner, do you.
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, because it's a it's money out of noble we think split it.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day, she's a young mum with kids like that is her money to do with what she will and if she wants to put it. Also, if she wants to put it towards the house. Chances are in a way that's going towards him anyway, right, like if you're going to end up sharing a house and getting married and whatever else. But like these people that are making her feel bad, telling us she's selfish, etcetera, etcetera. I think reconsider your life choices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of wins, though, are so divisive in families and amongst people. Though, Like in my own family, my grandparents, there was a big division between my dad's family and my mum's family because of a lot of win A winning lot of tickets happened to you. Yeah, yeah, and it was Look, it did not go down well for the burn Philippi household.
Speaker 1: Back in the day, did your mom have Facebook?
Speaker 4: She was a young single mom. But no, this happened many many years ago. Look, I mean both sides have passed away now, so I can probably tell the story, but I think I might save that for another day this week.