Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: So what amazing story yesterday this time yesterday morning at the Barton Milk Bar in Hawthorne, Michael Voss and James Laski, who are about to speak to the cafe owner, chased two offenders after a car flipped over on the street. It looks like it's been dropped by crane. This car, it's on its side. Chase the two offenders, Michael vossit com coach and James the cafe, both chumping over bins on roots such dusky hudg den downa back anyway to an outside laundry with a clothes line. This is like every eighties movie. The first defender climbed over the fence, but Voss dragged the second one back down and held him.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: This is incredible. When Voss finally returned to the Barton Milkbar to reorder, I love this. They're probably called I've been chasing down pups. Reorder, reorder two large lates, one sugar each. He sculls one, then SIPs on the second. Most morning there sound Walsh and four other Carton players, all eating breast breakfast, unaware what it just happens. It's incredible. He's an instant hero. Now to the change room. I wonder if it boosts morele ahead of the finals games. Who know, if they win is because of voss Man. Let's go now to James Laski suddenly the only and most famous cafe in Melbourne. Good morning James, Good morning God.
Speaker 1: It's an absolutely crazy story, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what take us to it?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 2: So what time yesterday morning did it all happen? What did you first see James?
Speaker 1: It was just a little bit later than this yesterday morning, just before school drop off, which is the scary part because it's a really busy corner on the opposite corner to the cafe with everyone, you know, all the parents getting their kids to school. And so just before nine o'clock that's when BOSSI had ordered his coffee. I was just had to make them. And then yeah, next minute, this car flies through the roundabout and and lands on its side on the footpath. So do you see it or do you hear it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was a big noise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was. I was. I should have been maybe making busses coffee, but I was. I was daydreaming and looking up the street and I see the I see the vehicle take the intersection and land on its side. And the initial thought was, hey, you know this is this is bad. Someone's in there and maybe someone's injured or maybe the car has hit someone, and so we need to get get out there as quickly as possible. And then yet probably four or five of us walked like, you know, straight over to the car. And then all of a sudden, because the car is still on so it was quite noisy, and we were trying to assess the situation. And then all of a sudden the door opens, you know, what is out of the roof of the car. And two it was just amazing scenes like two kids jump out and Voss's boss's filming, and then they just start running, and then Boss starts running, and then I start running.
Speaker 2: So you and you're running together. Is obviously because he's still in Great Shab ahead of you. What's the sort situation.
Speaker 1: He's ahead of see, he's he's still got it, bossy.
Speaker 2: Bar owner, Michael, you haven't paid for your copies yet?
Speaker 1: Exactly, mate, he was. He's very quick. I had actually I just had my breakfast, so I was a bit pluggage, but and then it's you know, we probably were probably running for one hundred meters and then it started to get a little bit sketchy when they were running down behind the apartment block and we had to jump over a few fences and like you know, a bin storage area. And then Vossy had the guy. One of the guys was trying to climb the fence and he just you know, he gave him a bear hug. And if if foss he's giving me a bear hug, it's all over.
Speaker 2: I got this incredible scenes.
Speaker 1: I felt like I was yeah.
Speaker 2: And so way and then did you call the police? Or how long was the wait before sort of backup? How for you both?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So I called the police straight away. We had we had both of their phones. I called the police and the police were in. We're there on the scene within maybe five minutes.
Speaker 2: And five minutes is a long time. There must have been a lot of adrenaline and has VOSSI he still got this this dude in a bear hug.
Speaker 1: He still had the guy in kind of you know, he was just holding him.
Speaker 2: Is he talking to him? Is there any small talk? Or yeah, he asked you if he's a blues.
Speaker 1: Fan or nah. There was surprisingly not much small talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah in that moment, is there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was thinking, you know, I could start talking about the there or something. Yeah, yeah, yeah, what's on for the rest of the day. No, No, Look, I the phone because we had bother their phones, and then one of the phones rang and it was the second offender, because he was saying did you get away?
Speaker 2: He's a real master kriminal, isn't he. Many movies don't break.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well I answered the answered the call and he was saying, did you get away? Whatever? And I said, look, mate, we've got your mate. Come back to the car like it's all over. And then he hung up. So so yeah, he's I think he's hopefully they catch him and.
Speaker 2: So tell me this then, James. So the police turn up and then obviously the later part this because obviously a lot of people listen to this right now, it's incredibly it's a very noble thing he birth did, but it's also can be a very interesting At least we find out that actually one of them. One thing, the guy that that Vossi had actually had had a weapon on him as well. So did you know that at the time. Could you could you see that? Or did the police search the guy when they turned up?
Speaker 1: You know what, like, never once did I think about the kid having a weapon. And it wasn't until the police put him in handcuffs and then they asked him do you have a weapon, and he said, yeah, I do, It's in my back pocket. And then they pulled out this giant sort of kitchen knife, serrated thing, and Voss and I just looked at each other and you know, like, you know, we didn't We just looked at each other. I think we've you know, we're really lucky to come out of that unscathed. And you know, I think we've avoided a tragedy in the car flipping, and then also a tragedy with I not be able to use the knife. So so yeah, it was the heart was racing.
Speaker 2: Bet for both of you, actually, but you kept thinking about throughout the day. Actually, he must have got a crazy day afterwards, the sort of replaying it James.
Speaker 1: Crazy day, crazy day. But I was We're just so happy that that no one was injured or killed, and it could have been, you know, we could have been on the news this morning for for something a lot worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I'm glad. Everyone's okay. Everyone, Now tell me this this one last question I've got for you is the two coffees? Is that when it is regular order, he has two coffees vossy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's it's unbelievable. He's just an absolute weapon. He he actually had he had five of these large coffees the other day, not for himself, for himself, and no one is going.
Speaker 2: To be able to chase after. He could have caught you Bold could.
Speaker 1: Have a little bit. He's an absolute weapon. He's a weapon. But he know his normal order is too large. Last is one sugar and h and it just crushes them.
Speaker 2: You need to have some sort of you need to cash on this. I'm guessing you've got a few more extra customers, I hope. But go into the Barton Milt Bar on thirty nine Barton Street today in Hawthorne. You need to have a Fosse special. You know, listen, you know you're viral right now, my friend, so cash get your SPI.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, James, I'm glad. Everyone's okay, and thank you for fraying up a bit of time and good on you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for chatting to us.
Speaker 2: I hope you're okay.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, yeah, appreciate it. Thanks for having me on. This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast