Speaker 1: If you've ever fallen down a Google rabbit hole trying to prepare for a workshop, or write a strategy paper, or just get your head around a new topic, you are going to love this episode. Today, Neo Applan, Inventium's Jenai Guru, is back to explain one of Jenai's most powerful hidden tools, deep research. It's like outsourcing four hours of online digging in five minutes. Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits, rituals, and strategies for optimizing your day. I'm your host, Doctor Amantha Imber. Before we get into today's episode, I have been geeking out over the research on AI adoption in the workplace, and the data is really clear. The people who master Jenai now aren't just getting ahead, they are creating entirely new level of productivity that seemed impossible just like a year ago. Because in a nutshell, there are two types of professionals, those who are fluent in AI and those left scrambling to catch up. Inventium's Genai Productivity Upgrade is how you can make sure that you are in that first group. It is a twelve week course designed to move you from dabbler to productivity machine. No fluff, just practical strategies that will pay off from week one, saving you at least ten hours every single week. You'll learn how to make AI sound exactly like you use AI as your second brain to excel at your job and use it to become a much more effective leader, and so much more. Whether you're a complete beginner or already dabbling, we've got you covered, starting with prompting fundamentals and going all the way through to advanced automations and digentic AI week kickoff on July fourteen, and spots are limited. Visit inventi do au forward slash Jenai hyphen cohort to secure your place now and there's a link to that in the show notes. You've got nothing to lose because there's a seven day money back guarantee, so head to the show notes click on the link to read more about the program today. Okay, neo, what exactly is deep research and what problem is it solving? Oh?
Speaker 2: You know how when you've got to do a lot of research and you think I'm going to have to spend a couple of hours working with Google to learn about this thing, to research about this thing, so it might be a lot of manual research that you need to do instead of doing that manually, which can take many hours, so you can learn the topic and know that you're getting the right information. You can automate that with using Jenai tools and the deep research function. So it's great if you want to do things like market trends, best practices, science updates and all those kind of things. Effectively, you're getting the ai to be your research assistant and it goes away. It plans what the research is going to be, and it goes and searches so many websites for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So which genai tools actually offer deep research and how do they differ?
Speaker 2: The main functions are pretty much the same between the different ais. So chatchpt does it on the paid and the free version. You get five deep researchers a month on the free and thirty a month on the paid. Perplexity has it, as well as Gemini, which is Google's Genai tool. And yeah, they're all very good. They're slightly different in the way that they approach the results. However, I'd say play with one many of them. They're awesome at what they do.
Speaker 1: Do you have a personal.
Speaker 2: Favorite At the moment, I'm enjoying Gemini, and the reason for that is that I can use it as much as I want to. It's free at the moment. So I do many deep researchers, but look, all of them are excellently in the way that they operate.
Speaker 1: And I think what's useful with Gemini If you are on the Google ecosystem, it exports the deep research report to Google Docs and then chat, GPT and Perplexity export to word and PDF, so that is useful as well. Now I want to know what is actually happening in the background when AI is doing its deep research.
Speaker 2: It's a true agentic flow and I'm doing like air quotes here agentic, so gentic is where the AI is going off and doing things on its own. So it's great where the interface actually shows you what the AI is thinking about in order to do that deep research. So it will say these are the sources that they need to look at. Then I need to look at this, Then I need to research this particular thing, and it will then plan how it's going to approach this problem and all the different types of pages it's going to search. So behind the scenes, it's doing the plan first. Now before you get it to do the work. You can agree with that plan or not, and you could say I need to do more of this than that. So work with it first the plan, and then when you hear the go button on the deep research button, then it does exactly what it planned to. So it'll go and research many different websites. So I've had ones where it's like one hundred and fifty websites kind of common. I've had some up to four hundred and ninety different websites that it's looking at in order for it to go through the plan. So it gives you so much information from those sites. And then what it does is it builds you a report. And the report is very detailed. We're talking on it five ten pages worth of information. Plus it also sites where it got the information for so you can click on the links and learn more and just make sure that it's got it right. So in summary, it plans the search, work with it on the plan. It then does the search, and it produces you an excellent report, so you've got an outcome.
Speaker 1: Okay, So something I have wondered about is how exactly should I best write the prompt to get the best result from deep research? Because I know that in the past I've sometimes been quite lazy. I've just written a quick one sentence prompt. I mean, the results have been pretty good, But ideally, what should I be doing with the prompt?
Speaker 2: Same as any other prompt, If it knows what you're trying to achieve, and it knows what the goals are and the context and things like that, you will get a much better result. So instead of saying what's the modern strategy for banking or something like that, very generic, you need to say what specific strategy you're looking at. So this is the actual area I'm looking at, and these are the types of things I'm trying to solve. So work with the AI on this. You can even do what they call meta prompting, which is working with the AI giving it all the context and what you're trying to achieve and then get it to produce you a prompt, which is a nice little cheats way. But the prompt is not the most important part. It is equally as important as working with AI on that search strategy, So making sure it's going to search the right kind of pages and trying to get the right kind of outcomes in the two of them together equally is important for a great result.
Speaker 1: And what's your advice on working with the AI to design a good approach to doing the deep research?
Speaker 2: Saying my goals are and here's the context, like it's the business, here's what I'm trying to achieve. These are the two main things that it really needs to know to be able to nail a great deep research prompt or a deep research process. So once you've got those things absolutely agreed with the AI, then you'll find you're going to get a much better result. So better background and better context you can give the better the results.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, a question that I'm sure a lot of listeners are asking in their brains is can we trust the results? I mean, we all know about hallucinations, where the AI just makes stuff up, it creates sources out of nothing. Is deep research different in that sense?
Speaker 2: It isn't in that you can get hallucinations. However, I found that there are few hallucinations, and the reason for that is it's effectively summarizing web pages that it has already just read. It's not hallucinating out of its own knowledge. And if there's a knowledge gap, there's a problem. And so out of the box you will find that there are fewer hallucinations. The worst that I've found is it's interpreted a page slightly differently than I would have interpreted it. And the page may have been for a tangentially related problem or industry, and I can see how it's got the things kind of together, but in reality, I would have said, yeah, probably that page wouldn't have been something that I would have included on my search. So it's very accurate. It's more of an interpretation issue that I have found, and even then it's really rare for it of me to have found it after all the deep researches that I've done, so it is a very thorough search. It is really good at summarizing the pages that it has read, and even if it has read fo one hundred and eighty pages do notes, so just because it's done a deep research that it isn't the world's expert on those things. So it's just summarized the four hundred odd pages that it's read, and it's done an awesome job at the summarization. However, you might need to still do some more research on top of it so know that it could potentially hallucinate. It also might not have searched a really important page that's out there, just as you and I when we do a Google search, we may not have searched every paper out there. So the probably the biggest risk, biggest takeaway is review everything. Click on it, and if you're wanting to know more about it, click on those links so you can be sure that everything in there is correct.
Speaker 1: Neo, thank you so much for taking us through deep research. It is hopefully a function in people's GENAI that they are going to now use a lot more frequently. If you like today's jow, make sure you follow on your podcast app to be alerted when new episodes drop. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Warrangery People, part of the Cool and Nake. A big thank you to Martin Imma for doing the sound mix.