Speaker 1: What time do you usually eat dinner?
Speaker 2: Maybe six pm every night, or does it creep back towards seven, maybe even eight pm? Or maybe dinner's not you'll sing at all and maybe you just like to grab more snacks throughout the day and night. On today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we chat all things dinner time and how to get the timing right for you.
Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Leanne.
Speaker 2: Wood and I'm Sissy Burrow, and together we bring you The Nutrition Couch, the weekly podcast that keeps you up to date on everything that you need to know in the world of nutrition. As well as our dinner chat. Today we talk about foods that we would never feed our kids. We have a new lighter, higher protein cheese option for you to share from the supermarkets. And our listener question is something that you're going to love. It is all about hypo g lycemia, so low blood sugar levels and the signs that you may have it.
Speaker 1: But to kick us up today, Susie, you had something that you wanted to chitchat about.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's a useful nutrition topic because Leanne, you've just come back from a kolonoscopy.
Speaker 1: Not the words we really want to hear on a Saturday morning.
Speaker 3: Even I was a little surprised because you're pretty young. I was like, wow, that's young. Tabacolonoscopy and then I said to you, oh, well, did you have any polyps? And you said, well, I had only one this time, but you had three last time. And I thought, do you feel like a nutritional failure as a dietician still coming up with polyps?
Speaker 2: No, because the gashoentroologist said to me, it's so normal and pretty much every person will have polyps, so you don't sort of discover them.
Speaker 1: Unless you go.
Speaker 2: So the backstory to this is back when I was quite young, like early twenties, I want to say, the very early twenties, when I had a lot of issues with my gut. I had, you know, but really bad bali belly, and when I was eighteen and my gut was just kind of never the same, I had got diagnosed with IBS. But this was sort of spurred my interest in the whole gut health field and why I've sort of ended up specializing in gut health because I'm so interested in it.
Speaker 1: But post that kind.
Speaker 2: Of nearly you know, five to ten years of really bad gut symptoms. I went down the path of you know, basically having all the blood tests and wanting to see the doctor and went into the gashoentrologist and I had to have an endoscopy and a colonosquy back there, and to rule out things such as seliac disease, inflammatu, tobower disease, and anything you know, a lot nasty, even things like bowcats they want to screen for. So I had quite a lot of symptoms back then. My gut is pretty much all good now. But post that initial one about ten years ago, they found a couple of polyps. I think they found three or four in the initial one, and then they said, right, we're just going to put you on the screening list for another five years time.
Speaker 1: There's nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: We just you know, once we find a couple of polyps, what they do is they take it out. At the time they I think they can kind of like burn them off, or they extract them somehow, they get rid of them, because the risks of polyps are that this is and I'm certainly no doctor, and I'm certainly no medical expert, but the way that the gashoentrologists explained it to me was sort of like, we remove the polyps because if they stay there, they have the potential to grow larger and potentially turn into cancer later on. Basically, so if they find them, they want to remove them. So he said, there's no big risks because we've taken them out. We didn't see anything else, so I didn't end up being diagnosed with celiac disease or inflammatory bow disease. I essentially got left with a diagnose of IBS or irritable bow syndrome after that, which is a good thing. It just meant that I had a bit of a hypersensitive got put it that way. And I think, you know, twenty to thirty percent of the population suffer from sort of gut health symptoms as well, so I'm certainly not alone. But from that, I then went on to have to have another colonoscopy five years later and five years after that, and I think they found about two or three polyps on my last one. Again they removed them and they were like, that's all fine, And then this time they only found one, which is a good thing, and the gash Giondorela just said that everything else looks really good, but again just because they had found that one. He said, we'll put you on again on a screening list for in another year's time. And a backstrough to that, one of my uncles did pass away from bow cancer as well, so there is a small link in the family, which I know that. I think you have a link in your family with bow cancer as well, don't you sue this? So I am quite young, but that's how all of this has come about. Normally, if you're, you know, in your thirties, you wouldn't routinely go and have a colonoscopy unless you do have, you know, signed symptoms or a family history potentially of some of these diseases.
Speaker 3: I think it's really good to be to talking about it more openly, particularly when we see the news reports that the increase in bow cancer and advance bow cancer and young people is increasing exponentially. We'll hope next time you go land there'll be zero polyps. I think that's a sign of nutritional success. I'm due to go. Both of my parents have had bow cancer, so it was a good reminder to me to go. But for all our listeners out there, if there's any family history or any unexplained gut disturbance. It's a good reminder that the best thing to do is have a kolonoscopy and check the health of your gut. And hopefully if you are at risk and have any publish for example, you're onto it nice and early. So thanks for that, Leanne. We'll look forward to a zero polyp update in a year's time.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, talking about today, what am I doing? Due? Well, yes, we found quite a click baby headline for you all today.
Speaker 1: It says five foods you should never feed.
Speaker 2: Your kids, and Susan and I don't love these clickbaity headlines, like there's nothing you should never I mean besides alcohol, right, probably feed your kids.
Speaker 1: But it's all things in moderation.
Speaker 2: But there are hard non softrict there are some things that we definitely want to as a whole steer largely clear away from. And these are things that you would routinely be giving your children quite often. And this article it's you know, I tend to agree with most of it in the article. So the five foods, and we'll talk through the min a second. I basically coconut oil, almond milk, butter, low fat yogurt, and white bread.
Speaker 1: So the reason that this article.
Speaker 2: Was written and I think it was was it a dietician who they interviewed for the article, And of course it's a clickab headline, a research, a research, and basically the coconut oil is is you know, it's a huge marketing thing. A lot of people will say, you know, taut a whole heap of you know, nutritional claims about it, but at the end of the day, it is still a very high saturated fat. Is it as quote unquote bad as the saturated fat that you're getting on you know, meats and salamis and potentially not. I think the science of how the saturated fat in coconut behaves is a little bit different. But it's something that I wouldn't be feeding my kid coconut oil over something like extra and olive oil. Absolutely not, or it wouldn't be using it as a base of, you know, the fat in my child's diet because it doesn't really provide any positive nutrition sources. Now, almond milk was the second one, and I tend to agree here and Susie and I have talked. I would say extensively about almond milk on the podcast. It is not an appropriate milk substitution for a baby or a toddler or a small child. If it's an older child and their preference is almond milk, fine cool, that's cool, but not for small children because almond milk is essentially made from grinding up almonds and mixing.
Speaker 1: It with water.
Speaker 2: If you read the label of almond milk, it's essentially like ninety to ninety five percent water and about three four five percent almonds.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much it.
Speaker 2: Brands are getting a little bit smarter these days, and a lot of them have put in things like added calcium, which is great for an adult, but for a child, particularly a really young child, a large part of their nutritional makeup for the day. I know my Mea is still she's two and a half and she still has a couple of bottles of milk each day. Tillie still has breast milk because she's only to months, but a large part of their diet is made up from the fat and the other nutrients that whole milk provides, So almond milk is not a nutritional substitute for whole cow's milk. If you didn't want to feed your child cow's milk, you should absolutely go for a soy milk is probably the next best nutritionally balanced option because almond milk is just too low calorie and a lot of the formulas or brands on the market also sweetened, so they put added sugar in there as well, and we just don't want to be giving our children added sugar and really low calorie, low nutrient types of milk. So that's the reason that we don't recommend almond milk for infants, children, babies, small children. And then it would be a case by case basis. I think if you had sort of like an older child, but nutritionally is just not a complete source of nutrition like whole milk or like full cream milk is. Now the next one list is butter, and again butter, like Cisci and I both give our kids butter, Like MEA loves butter on toast like sometimes you literally David was making butter on toast. But at the same time we give her that really nice, dense, whole green toast and it is what it is, like a little bit of butter in your diet is absolutely fine. Are there better spreads to use? Absolutely like avocado's great, so much better. MEA will often have avocado on toast as well. Sometimes you'll have cottage cheese, sometimes you'll have a bit of cream cheese. I just see it very clear from the things like their jams and then Netala's because I just don't want to be adding again, added sugars into a very small child's diet. And Mia has quite a few nut allergies, so we can't use things like peanut butter or almond butter. But some of the nutspreads if your kids don't have allergies, are perfectly good and wonderfully balanced and honestly far better than butter. But again, a small amount of butter in your kid's diet is okay. So I'm not a huge yes, we'll no with that one. I kind of see it as a bit of middle ground. Like you can put a bit of butter on your toast. I don't see an issue with that. But if that's the spread that you're giving your child, and it's butter on white bread with like jam or honey, then that's where I would probably have a little bit more of an issue with it, if that's creeping into your kid's diet quite regularly. Second last one, I should say number four and LISUSI is low fat yogurt, and again there's nothing wrong with yogurt, but for small children, fat makes up a huge component of their diet. They really need a lot of fat in their diet. Their requirements a huge like Tilly from like a birth to baby. Basically, a year old has doubled her birth weight and they need so much fat in order to help them grow and thrive. So giving your child low fat yogurt, and again Susie and I have talked about this on the Poddy before. High protein based yogurt just isn't appropriate.
Speaker 1: It's not needed.
Speaker 2: They just need full whole cream yogurt basically, and a lot of the children's yogurts on the market, Susie, they add cream in them, which is unusual. I'm not really sure why. Maybe it's a tasting, maybe it's a calorie calorie load thing like I don't really think we need to add added cream into children's yogurt, but it is what it is. And even that their full cream yogurts with the added cream is a better option nutritionally than low fat yogurt for small children. And then the last one is white bread, So it's just heavily, heavily refined. I know that a lot of children just don't like, you know, grainy, dense bread, but it really does start from as little as you can, just giving them, introducing that dense, grainy bread from as early as possible into their diets so that they just see that as something that's familiar to them.
Speaker 1: Like me, it doesn't eat.
Speaker 2: Sometimes if she doesn't like the lunch at daycare, they'll offer her like a white bread, like ham and cheese sandwich, and I'm always like ough. And then teachers will say, she didn't eat anything because you wouldn't eat the sandwich and she just doesn't like white bread. And I find that quite amusing that they're so concerned she won't eat like the white bread and ham sandwich.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I don't give a ham, and I.
Speaker 2: Don't give a white bread, and she's just not familiar with that because all she's ever had since she was like six months old is that really dense, grainy type bread. So I heavily agree with that one. We don't love white bread. It's very very refined, but it is what it is. If you have super fossy children, then you might be looking to maximize the toppings that you put on that bread to make it that little bit more nutritionally dense. But we do love seeing those visible whole grains in the bread. A from a fiber perspective, but also be from a more whole food and nutrient dense perspective as well. What do you think about this list? Are you in greens with these five foods?
Speaker 3: I am, but I think it's a random mix. Like I just think coconut oil is on the way out, Like I just don't see it brought up very often, Like I just don't think that's an oil that's really slipping into the diets of children. I think the standout food that's missing for me is soft drink and even fruit juice, Like why would you pick coconut oil over fruit juice and soft drink Like they're concentrated sources of sugar. We spoke about fruit juice a couple of weeks ago. But soft drink is toxic for adults and children. And if you don't give them soft drink when they're small, even if it is diet or you know, sprite zero or whatever, they won't crave that intense flavor and they won't actually like it. My kids don't like it because they've never really had it, so they prefer sparkling or soda water. So I feel really strongly that soft drink is the one thing diet all regular should not be in the diets of children at all, particularly nowlyan you can get those flavored waters that if you do want a bubbly drink, you can get like a Mount Franklin sparkling, and there's a whole range of them, which means you don't get any of that sodium benzoate preserve and then the artificial sweetness which are still rife in soft drink, and the color is goodness. But the other thing I'll say is with white bread. Now absolutely as a dietitian whole grain, whole meal all the way, but in the case of kids who will only have that, at least you can get high fiber white that is preferable. Then there's a growing range of those. But I also think keep in mind that wraps for kids aren't necessarily better. I think that we interpret white wraps or wraps as healthier and they're not. We've spoken before their ultra process as well. You certainly better with a high fiber white than you are a rap, so just be mindful of that. And I think one of the biggest issues with white bread is as soon as you're buying food away from the home, like you go to the Bunning Sausage diesil every week or the school barbecue after sport, it's always white bread. And I just think, really, can we not just swap to a cheeky whole meal or even a high fiber white because that's where you get a lot of it, Even if it's not at home. When you're buying it away from the house, like you said, at the canteen at school, it's always white bread. So I would love to see that kind of change. Wasn't the default for all of these food service provisions, but yeah, in general, I agree with those foods, and also, as we discussed a few weeks ago, process meat snacks or something that I wouldn't be encouraging for kids in general. So it was an interesting list and you're right clickbaity, but I as we always like a little tweak on it as a credit to practicing dietitians and also mothers of children who are packing that school lunch box. I think it's always important to talk to people who actually do it rather than are talking in theory. But let's move on to adults because a lot of our listeners in general are adults. Leanne and I wanted to talk about dinner timing because I'd had several feedback points to my clients this week about dinners and have done, you know, quite a lot of work. We've spoken in the part about chronological nutrition, which is about linking our dietary intake to time of day eating. And certainly I don't have many clients eating dinner at six or early. Most of my clients are eating dinner at seven and beyond, you know, getting up to eight and eight thirty. And I'm supposed to talk a little bit about that. Why is a problem because I'm aware that lifestyle isn't always conducing to eating earlier. But what happens is nutritionally, we're programmed according to circadian rhythm, and so as it gets later into the evening, our hormones shift and we're more likely to store at night time. It also means you don't tend to have that ten twelve, fourteen hours overnight without food, which is considered important for digestive health and the regeneration of the gut microbiome, so you sort of want to aim for a minimum twelve hours if you can. So if you're eating at eight eight thirty, it's a bit tricky you kind of miss it in the morning. But another golden rule of thumb and a few tricks if you do routinely find it's almost impossible to not eat until that time, is that the meal needs to be lighter. So I've had several situations where clients will send their food diaries and they're having a shitzel or they're having battered fish, and then they're having potato as well, and then they're also having their sort of soul food, they're having some treat or dessert. It's just too many calories at night, you know, six seven hundred calories after eight o'clock at night is way too many. So I think if that is routinely you, I would be making a concerted effort to have a larger lunch and a more significant aftern noon top up, even at four or five, even if it is soup, then some tuna on crackers with some cut up veggies, because if you're getting to eight nine o'clock at night, I would certainly not want six seven hundred calories going in. I'd want an upper limit of about four hundred, and that is quite a small meal. That is sort of one hundred one hundred and fifty grams of protein and veggies. You don't then get the crumbing on the chicken or the fish. You then don't get the potato and the extra carbs, especially if you're also going to have a glass of wine. So certainly you've got to buffer a little bit the later it gets. But the keita that leanne is of course eating more in the day and making sure that lunch is a bigger meal and you do have that substantial afternoon snack. Otherwise you will constantly have that sort of uncomfortable feeling going to bed. You won't clear out the food from your digestive system in the morning, so you're delaying that kind of hunger through the day. So just be mindful of the calorie load at night if you do find that dinner tends to be later on in the evening. Now, of course, occasionally you go for dinner for a special occasion or you're out in the weekend. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the Sunday to Thursday the Monday to Thursday day dinners where you do have control when it comes to weight control, appetite control, hormone control, and digestive health. The later you have that meal, the lighter it needs to be. And though it's a myriad of metabolic benefits that come from lightning that dinner up. And you can certainly do it smart, like you can do plenty of greens, you can do pumpkin instead of a more starchy vegetable. You can do a lighter form of protein. Things like shellfish or whitefish are much lower in calories. There's ways to get around it, but certainly sitting down and having a big chicken, stenseal, potato and dessert is way too heavy at eight o'clock at night.
Speaker 2: I mean, and this is mostly for people who are wanting weight control, who have issues with metabolic conditions, who have issues with blood sugar regulation control. If you are perfectly fine and healthy, then I don't really see much wrong with having a bit of a heavier dinner at nighttime. The only thing I will say is that it can impact the quality of your sleep. So if you're having a heavy meal at say eight thirty nine o'clock, then you're heading to bed at nine thirty ten o'clock, You've still got a lot of food sitting in your stomach. It can take quite a while to digest that. And it's not ideal from a you know, maximizing sleep perspective, to have a really heavy meal before bed. Ideally, we want a good two to three hours to digest to full dinner before we go to bed. So ideally I like my clients eating around kind of six thirty seven pm if they're going to go to bed at about nine thirty ten o'clock. The one I guess issue. I will say that I've had it with some of my clients. Susie is some of my ladies play, you know, like social netball or social hockey, and sometimes those games they're just not great.
Speaker 1: Like the game might be it say.
Speaker 2: Seven point thirty or seven forty five, and what tends to happen. I've got one of my clients and she used to play what is it, like goal of tackle center, like that position where they just do a ton of running, and she's like, I can't eat within two hours of the game. She's like, I honestly feel sick because I have to run so much. Like she was running for a good hour straight, barely getting a break, and she was exhausted afterwards, so we needed to fuel her really well. Plus she had a goal of fat loss. And then also she was waking up quite early in the morning the next morning to go to work, so we actually had to lit her dinner up and give her you know, a substantial almost like an afternoon tea snack.
Speaker 1: At four thirty.
Speaker 2: We had to give her like half to sixty to seventy percent of her dinner, and then she'd go and she played the netball game between seven to eight pm. But the time she'd finish the game, showered, you know, talk to her teammates, driven home, got home, and you know, got ready to have the rest of her dinner. It was sort of like eight thirty nine o'clock or sometimes even a little bit later. But then we'd still want to give her a little bit of protein and top her up with a bit of carps to kind of refuel and replenish after that game as well. So sometimes splitting a larger meal can be quite helpful, but leaving the lighter part of it for after dinner, and other times we would give her more of like we'd give her lunch around sort of middaysh and then we'd give her dinner essentially around four PM, where she would have a substantial meal. It might be some shepherd's pie or a stir fry with noodles and chicken or something like that, and then she'd go and she'd play the game, and then post the game, she'd would do like a smoothie, so it almost like a breakfast option when we'd use protein powder, bit of milk, a bit of fruit, and maybe throw in some like nut butter or cheer seas for a bit of health fat because smoothies tend to be digested a bit quicker. And then she wasn't going to bed with quite a heavy tummy, but we were still able to get in a lot of those great nutrients to help her refuel after a really big game, and particularly in the summer months, like she would just be dripping in sweat because she'd be playing centre or goal attack and she'd be running around that entire time for an hour, so we really wanted to get in some fluid and hydration and then you know, things like berries for antioxidants and a bit of protein powder at the top up her protein stores and some healthy vats as well to help you know, with satiation, hormone control, that sort of thing. So I think there's some smart things you can do, particularly if you are exercising later at night, but definitely you want to fuel well before that game, but also refuel well after that game. So that's where if you're having problems with I guess the timing of your nutrients for dinner, booking an appointment with a dietisian can be super helpful. And if you are, you know, exercising or doing some movement around that time, potentially even booking in with more of like a sports related dietitian can be quite helpful as well.
Speaker 3: Right, well, Leanne, you've found a super.
Speaker 2: Cheese I have, and it's from the UK. It's from Britain. But I was like looking at it and I was like, how do.
Speaker 1: They get it? So lean?
Speaker 3: Oh, have you eaten it?
Speaker 2: No? Have it?
Speaker 1: I haven't tried it.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make any sense to me how those nutritionils can hold true.
Speaker 2: So I had to google it and I had to go to the website. So the cheese is called Eat Lean Shredded Cheese, so good marketing.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, I'm interested. I picked it up immediately. It is quite as we know for.
Speaker 2: A lot of these modified products, they are going to be expensive. Right, So it's seven dollars for a two hundred gram bag, which is it's not cheap put it that way.
Speaker 3: But that's all cheese though, But cheese is expensive anyway.
Speaker 1: But two hundred grams is quite small.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's still like that's still five dollars. They're only four fifty five, so they're not that cheap anyway, Like it's more, but it's yeah, like cheese is expensive, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's expensive, but this is you know, next level expensive.
Speaker 2: But if you are somebody with very tight nutritionals or the goal is fat loss, or you're just trying to really maximize every mouthful, potentially could be a good option. So it does come from the UK. It's called Eat Lean Shredded Cheese. Two hundred gram bag retails at wool West four seven dollars and the ingredients are cheese.
Speaker 1: That's it, one ingredient.
Speaker 2: Cheese made up of milk, salt, starter culture and non animal enzymes. So how does cheese become lower in calorie, higher in protein and so low in fat and saturated fat, so per serving it is one hundred and seventy seven killer duels, so it's about forty two calories per serve, only nine point two grams of protein, and teas typically does have a good amount of protein in there.
Speaker 3: About five grams per serve normally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about five, so it's almost nearly double the protein compared to just normal normal cheddar cheese. Zero points seven grams of fat, incredibly low, like cheese is predominantly fat, with only point three of that being saturated fat, like almost unheard of.
Speaker 1: Sousio's like, is this a typo?
Speaker 2: Carbohydrate is zero point one so minimal carbohydrate as we would expect in cheese. Zero point one grams of sugar expected, zerograms of fiber expected. There's not going to be any fiber or carbohydrates in something like cheese, so zerograms of dietary fiber, which is expected. We wouldn't really expect sugar or fiber in cheese. And then one hundred and ninety eight milligrams of sodiums about two hundred milligrams of sodium, which again is expected. You know, we do find salt in cheeses. So I've gone to the eat lean website and it says that the eat lean cheese is created by three generations of cheesemakers basically somewhere in Britain. So how do they do it, Susie, I was like, tell me more, So they said, eat lean cheese is made of two simple ingredients, British cow's milk and a pinch of salt. The magic comes simply from our manufacturing process which reduces the fat content in the cheese and enables the protein to naturally build.
Speaker 1: And that is all they've given us.
Speaker 2: So obviously they're keeping their secrets very close to their chest, but they've somehow figured out a manufacturing process to essentially remove the bulk of the fat from it and boost the protein. So almost like how they do the high protein yogurts. They triple strain them, which takes the majority of the fat content out and leaves the protein there. So I think that they've sort of done this in a similar way to how they make higher protein yogurs. So yeah, I just thought it was a really great interesting product for those I wouldn't say that I wouldn't give this to the majority of my clients only if they had really tight nutritionals, if they love cheese, and they were using it quite regularly and obviously if they had the budget to sort of pay for a more expensive product. But they do also do a lactose free variety as well. I think this one is low lactose anyway, because it is sort of so strained and there is a very minimal carbohydrate in their hard cheese is typically very low lactose regardless anyway, So I just thought it was a very interesting product and I was quite surprised, and I was like, I need to learn more, because I was like, how do they get it that lead? How do they get it so high in protein and so low in fat?
Speaker 3: Being a cheese, Well, I don't understand how it's going to melt because cheese requires fat for that consistency. Like to me, it would be a very hard kind of product, similar to pure protein in a way. That's I can't see how it would melt on food. So it's interesting. I'm not saying it's not right. I'm sure it is, but it doesn't make a lot of sense nutritionally for me. Because you remember back when they had ninety seven percent that free cheese slices, what they were like, they were very plastic y. They didn't have that malleability, that texture, So let us know if you've tried it. It's certainly interesting. It's certainly low fat, which it's very hard to find a low fat cheese apart from cottage cheese, and I just am interested whether it actually functionally would work in terms of melting and things that we often need cheese for. So yeah, just interesting you would have seen it, but yeah, let us know your thoughts if you try it. Will be very interested to hear. And that brings us to our listener question, which is actually more of a case study of mine of a client, a couple of clients actually recently, because back in the day when I saw clients for a lot of different conditions. Now I just tend to focus on longer term weight loss with those with hormonal conditions, which I enjoy working with people over a longer period. But I used to have quite a few people referred to me from a doctor for hyper glycemia. Now, hyperglycemia is a situation in which your glucose in sometimes insulin regulation is not working optimally. Now it can be linked to insulin resistance, but it can also just be there on its own. In isolation, so you may have no weight issues but also be prone to hyperglycemia, which is where after you eat, all of a sudden, you get the shakes and your blood glucose levels drops and you really feel quite unwell. I've had two situations with two different clients in the last few weeks. One client is on a weight loss journey and is prone to hyperglycemia's secondary to insulin resistance, and the reason that I picked up that was happening for her is that she would super protein load her meal. So, for example, rather than having a regular whole grain wrap and say a protein yogurt as a filling snack, she would have a high protein wrap and the high protein yogurt. So the carbohydrate was so low when her body processed that about an half an hour an hour after eating, her sugar would drop and she'd feel quite unwell and then need to eat again. So we were easily able to correct that because I just reminded her that whilst we were reducing her carbohydrate intake, she still needed even amounts of twenty to thirty grams per melance snack to avoid going low. But then my other client, who is losing sort of less weight, sort of focused on a five to ten kilo loss. She absolutely suffers from hyperglycemia, and I really need to feed her quite regularly. If she goes for longer than about three hours, she really gets shaky and it's a very uncomfortable feeling where you suddenly need to sort of eat a lot of quick acting carbohydrate to feel well again. So we just really need to be on her planning. So she's got balanced meals with her, because again she's feeling a bit shaky after breakfast and grabs a protein bar that's not going to give her enough carbohydrates. We have to be quite specific on the amounts, so it is real issue. Now, there's some theory around low chromium intake can exacerbate hyperglycemia in those who are susceptible. So chromium can be found in foods like nuts and cocoa powder, so that can be quite a good way, even milo as a way to tick the box on that key nutrient. Chocolate is another one, but yeah, I just thought it relevant. If you do notice that you get shaky in between meals and you don't have a weight issue, you've really got to pay attention to eating balance amount of good quality carbohydrate and protein regularly every three probably three hours to make sure that you don't potentially go low. And if you have too much protein and enough carbohydrate. So for example, you grab a protein yogurt and berries, there's not very much carbohydrate in that, so you probably better to have a banana. So just be really mindful of your macro ratios if you're someone prone to hyperglycemia, because you end up overeating all the time when really it's easily able to be balanced with the right diet. Now for that a person who is listening who has that situation and who is overweight, I would encourage you strongly to go to the GP and ask for a gludcose tolerance test with insulin, because you've probably got severe insulin resistance and it needs to be medically managed to help even out those gludcose levels, because until you get the underlying insulin action improved, you'll continue to be prone to hyperglycemia and then overeating. So that's another sign you might need a glucose tolerance test to actually see what's going on. And sometimes you see really quirky things where people are peaking at one hour and then go really low on too, So that is a clinical situation that you want managed with the right mix of diet and medication for those who maybe are overweight and noticing that experience more frequently.
Speaker 2: And there's also another condition, rebound hypoglycemia, which I've actually had a couple of clients have in the past over the years that i've been, you know, as a dietitian, and I don't know specialize in this area at all, but it's just come hand in hand with the clients I've been working with them.
Speaker 1: For other issues.
Speaker 2: So rebound hypoglycemia is where you have this massive blood sugar drop quite a few hours after a meal, like generally about three to four hours after eating a meal, and the large symptom of that is that you just feel super shaky and you just feel really quite weak and lightheaded. So it essentially is your body makes too much insulin and if you have a large carb heavy meal. So this is the opposite spectrum to what Susie's saying, where instead of having too low carbohydrate, you have too much carbohydrate in a meal and then your body produces a lot of insulin and it sort of uptakes that and then.
Speaker 1: Your blood sugar levels drop really rapidly.
Speaker 2: It doesn't happen straight away, so it's not like you have this huge meal of pasta and immediately you feel sick and shaky. It often happens hours later, which is why it's quite hard to diagnose and a lot of people aren't quite sure what's happening there.
Speaker 1: So you can definitely.
Speaker 2: Get some blood tests to make sure of this and that you know, the doctor will monitor your blood sugar levels. But it is something that if you do feel like every time you eat out and you have quite a large, carb heavy meal, whether it's a lot of pasta, garlic bread, pizza, even just a couple of slices of toast or a big, you know, sugary breakfast cereal with milk and fruit in the morning, and then a few hours later you feel quite weak and shaky. That's definitely something to be following up with your doctor about and they're not exactly sure why this happens, but yeah, there are quite a few things you can do to manage that from a nutrition and a lifestyle perspective as well, So definitely something you'd want to follow up with your GP about, all right, Susie brings us to the end of another episode of The Nutrition Couch And if you know that your diet needs a little bit more protein, going check out our scientifically formulated range of protein powders at design Yadietitians dot com. Susie and I are super, super proud of our range and we will be bringing our very fast, healthy formulated.
Speaker 1: Hot chocolates to market in just a few weeks.
Speaker 2: We are going to do a very exciting pre launch of that, so keep an eye on our social media pages and you Suki Couches at the Nutrition Couch podcast with some underscores in between on Instagram, and Susie's Susie Burrow Dietitian and I am at the Fitness Dietitian on Instagram. If you keep an eye on our social pages, we will be posting all about our new hot chocolates. We've got a functional sleep blend and a functional beauty blend of hot chocolate's coming to market very soon. So thank you for your support and we'll catch you in next week's episode.
Speaker 3: Have a great week,