Speaker 1: The Flex and Frooms Daily Podcast, brought to you.
Speaker 2: By Hello sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, nondescript people.
Speaker 3: You're taking it a fet further. How so it's very family references you're making. Oh yeah, were you are the corporation?
Speaker 2: You hate my people, my brethren. Today we're talking about deep conversations. I was on TikTok as I always am, and I came across the TikTok, which helps you facilitate deeper questions, and I thought to myself, that is one way to.
Speaker 4: Connect with my girl Flex.
Speaker 2: She loves to have deep conversations, and so I brought some to the table.
Speaker 4: And I hope you like it. Yeah, we're so excited.
Speaker 1: Such a vibe Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 4: I was sick as in DOWG last week. What kind of sick were you? Hell? But not COVID? Do you get flues often?
Speaker 2: It was a flu kind of girly growing up sick girl. Yeah, I can't relate. God, bless many blessings, many blessings. I was staying at my sister's house while I was sick because she has a really nice, big double king bed.
Speaker 4: She was looking after you.
Speaker 2: Nah, we're just like sitting staying in bed. She was working on what's a topple king? Like a big big bed, just a king like a bed that is bigger in the width than is from the length.
Speaker 4: Oh, super king, yes, big wit.
Speaker 2: Which my new thing in life is one day I need to have a super king bed for myself.
Speaker 4: I do own one. You do have one? Do you know why I bought it? Though?
Speaker 3: I would have been fine with the king and me being the philanthropist, the virtuous girl that I am. When you date someone who's six foot four, you make accommodations.
Speaker 4: That was sweet of me. They don't want to see him be sweet. They don't want to see it. Anyway.
Speaker 2: We came across this show on Binge otherwise known as HBO, and the show is called The Baby. The premise is that it is a horror comedy. It's British, so you know it's gonna be good. You know it's gonna be real dark.
Speaker 3: See people say that, and I don't think I would anticipate watching a British show and thinking it's gonna be good.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna be gray, green and gloomy. Yes see, I think that's good.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I think it lends for good acting, huh.
Speaker 4: And so this one is a horror comedy.
Speaker 2: It stars a woman called Michelle di Swart or Swalte, and she's this thirty something year old woman and basically like all of her friends are having babies and she's just not there yet. And then one day late, yeah, one day a baby falls off a cliff into her hands, and now she has said take care of the baby, obsessed. And then as she's going around people around, the baby keep dying. Ooh, turns out the baby is evil. Yeah, this baby's evil and it's following this woman around and she can't do anything.
Speaker 4: She has to take care of it or it will kill her. Oh, it chose her. And it was just a really good show. It was very very dark, more horror than comedy.
Speaker 3: Like is the the horror aspect just the fact that this baby is evil and the rest is like quite humorous.
Speaker 2: The horror aspect is like it's quite graphic, like a horror movie, right, you know, It's got graphic scenes and it deals with very dark themes. Essentially, I believe it's a parable for child wearing and women and the like effort that's required and how a lot of people, a lot of women like take all the responsibility for themselves. Like, the really interesting thing in the show is there's no men really in the show, Like, there's no there's no romantic interest.
Speaker 4: She doesn't have any interest tests, that's for sure. Oh, full on, full on.
Speaker 2: So Bechdel, besch deel, what is wrong with me? Bechdel Bechelle. Anyway, whatever test it is, it is passing it. It's really it's a really interesting, thought provoking thing while also being stylish like the chicken. It. I really like the main chick. She's really funny and has cool style. And so what do you think the moral of the story is in that show? For the people who have children, people who don't have children, what is the show telling us?
Speaker 4: In summary?
Speaker 2: In summary, it's saying that children want want want, want.
Speaker 4: Want, get a job. Kids.
Speaker 3: Literally, you're that crying. You want us to stay in life. Do what the rest of us do? Add value apecially.
Speaker 2: So I think the whole thing is there is at a point where you need to stop giving it so much. And that doesn't mean that you don't love it. Oh fact, I'm gonna read it that one.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure that's fascinating. I feel like I might watch it. I don't know. I'll report back. I think you'd like it.
Speaker 1: Flex and frooms FLEXI.
Speaker 2: I was up till two a and the other night on the talk getting to my little TikTok.
Speaker 4: Zones school night. Ah yeah wow, Thursday night.
Speaker 2: No rules here in firms world, And I came across this guy's TikTok who puts up conversation starters. Basically, he's like a philosophy kind of bro. Doesn't look very like insufferable, which we love. And he shared this little video of some conversation starters amazing, and I wanted to ask you them.
Speaker 4: You're gonna answer them too, Yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: This guy's account is at for your eyes, that's with the four underscore. So if you want to like share this with your friends, do a little conversation time. That's where you find them.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Number one, if there was no afterlife, how would you change how you live.
Speaker 4: If there's no afterlife?
Speaker 3: Well, it is really important to know that if there was a heaven, I'd be going not because of merit, but I think that I could like network or something up there, and I could add a lot of value to the environment.
Speaker 4: Multi talented.
Speaker 3: If there's not, I mean, the afterlife is after living, right, So what am I going to do differently now?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess this is probably more pertinent if you're religious. What would you do eat McDonald's every meal?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: What emotion are you the most comfortable experiencing?
Speaker 3: Kind of like a feral amount of joy that's really like like it's not not that deep seated, like I'm happy in my core, but like something silly made me laugh, or like I want to tell you this thing that doesn't really matter, but it makes me really excited.
Speaker 4: That is yeat zone. Yeah, yeat zone me too. That's good. That's an easy one.
Speaker 3: But I also think you have to like train your environment to humor you, because when I was younger, it used to make me so insecure.
Speaker 4: Everyone's like why is she still talking? No, Like it's like a really cool thing and like this is a tangent like like no, stop. Good to know some weaknesses in your prior life.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: The last one that I'll do is what's a physical feature about yourself that you really like?
Speaker 4: Got plenty?
Speaker 3: My ankles are so good, Like if you see me stand up in just like a regular it's a great ankle, and it's something about like the way the bones look something.
Speaker 4: They're really good.
Speaker 3: I have really good hands, like beautiful in all ways. And also alien hands. I can't explain it to you know why they're alien hands because you have to see them to know they have four lines and the flanges. I like my teeth, I like my cheeks. I like my wrists a lot. That's a big one.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's just like a body love exercise that I've done before.
Speaker 3: You You know how sometimes you know, you look at certain parts of your body like, oh, that's gross, but then some of the parts I'll just look during the day like that's a good there's a good mailbirds, bab.
Speaker 2: I've done a lot of body mod so it's hard for me to tell mod modifications.
Speaker 4: What do you mean my favorite parts is no, no, no no no no no no no. I've done a lot of body modu.
Speaker 2: Like, for example, I like the bit of my lip here, but I've had my lips done in the past, so they obviously claim that claim it say what's your favorite because a trying maker don't say what's your favorite from the womb body part?
Speaker 4: True?
Speaker 2: Okay, in that instance, I like this bit of my cheeks, and I like, what's this bit the top it.
Speaker 4: Near your eyes?
Speaker 2: I think I can have a nice bone structure in my face. Yeah, and that you can't necessarily, Oh you can fix it, fix it, you know, you can mod modify, get a chinam plant fillers haven't.
Speaker 4: Done under those. But yeah, it's my favorite bit. Shave of my head. Yay, the shape of your head? Yeah, in what way? Oh that's good one. Yeah. When I shave my head, the back of my head's you've got a really nice shave. Would you ever do it again? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Everyone should shave their head once. Just see what you're working with at the back there. You can always wear a hat.
Speaker 3: How comfortable would you be to ask just regular people these questions someone you didn't know that well, your colleague, your best friends, your parents.
Speaker 2: It's like people you see on TikTok that go up to people and ask like these questions.
Speaker 4: On the street. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I've cultivated quite like an open relationship with most of the people that I'm close to, so they know everything about me. Essentially, I don't keep many secrets, so I could ask them these things.
Speaker 4: What about you? Yeah? I can too.
Speaker 3: I think I used to be way more interested in asking, like everybody these questions strangers or whatever. But I don't think I was prepared for when the answers weren't interesting, or like, not only interesting, but I feel like I wasn't ever considerate that deep conversations could have deep answers that couldn't be moved on from.
Speaker 4: I remember when.
Speaker 3: I made my conversation card game Reflex, I was asked to do some vox pops at a festival. So go to a festival, ask some strangers some questions, and they're like, just pick some like light, easy going ons.
Speaker 4: It was like, get sick, you know.
Speaker 3: So I pulled out the five that I had in the deck and one of them was like, na, three things you like about yourself? And every time it got the worst reception I have ever experienced in my life. People grimacing, One girl cried, one guy got really really upset.
Speaker 4: Why would you ask that? I just couldn't fathom.
Speaker 3: I was like, of all the questions I could have asked, I was like, this is the bottom of the barrel, this is chill. So for me, I've recognized a lot of responsibility with not like forcing people into any kind of self reflection they don't want to have unless it's an environment where I can share first and make it like comfortable and safe. But I was just wreaking havoc and I was like, damn, three things you like about yourself and I've ruined your day at the Fezzy.
Speaker 4: Thrown him into another dimensionlessly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think it's the hardest thing when it's boring, isn't it?
Speaker 3: With that in mind, let me when you traumatize someone inadvertently, is there someone that.
Speaker 4: Who in this world do you think you've hurt the most? Whoa who in this world have I hurt the most?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Probably your ex boyfriends, right, I reckon, because that's like active hurt. I feel as though I don't think I would have hurt my friends that much in terms of.
Speaker 4: Like active like.
Speaker 3: Maybe in like a passive way, but like I think a breakup is a very hurtful thing to go through.
Speaker 4: And I'm a breakup rower.
Speaker 2: You're a breakup Erah yeah, every time that's a you need to see a therapist.
Speaker 4: I did, Well, we know why. Okay, that's why I don't date anxious avoidant.
Speaker 3: No avoidant avoidant, And also my task, not my task. The thing to focus on is I have control issues, So I just need to leave people alone.
Speaker 2: They're fixing to fix fix, ne're fixing, editing.
Speaker 3: But I also think that people need to leave me alone as well. In the same way, Like I'm constantly trying to not do things. I'm like, I don't feel comfortable doing that. That's my vibe, Like I just know how I am so like it goes both ways, like I need to not fix people and people need to respect me when I say no, not like, but you'd be so good at that, Like we'd be so good together. I'm like no, Like I'm telling you.
Speaker 4: I'm telling.
Speaker 2: You never have foresight, quite strong foresight on yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Who have I hurt the most? You almost seem happy?
Speaker 2: Brook?
Speaker 4: Can you edit this out?
Speaker 2: Probably the same probably ex boyfriends. You hurt me a little bit, I'm gonna hurt you back ten times more. I'm a vengeful princess when it comes to relationships.
Speaker 4: How do you do it? Though?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: How does that work?
Speaker 2: My classic trick? Break up with me? I go silent forever? Oh you Like so I'm you you let me go, but I'm still gonna be the one that got away Eliah bait and switch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how else does that manifest? Give me another example, what about when you're in a relationship and someone's hurt your feelings? How would you get back at them in your like ten times worse kind of way.
Speaker 2: It's very hard because my last relationship was like a year ago and that's probably my most adult one's.
Speaker 4: Saying you didn't do that, then do what that's called? Don't know? So no, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Probably like when I was younger, like go hang out with my friends and not invite them, like I think I would have hurt people's feelings not inviting them into my life, like I was very much one of those pieces. Yeah, yeah, I would very much integrate into their life, but I wouldn't invite them into my spaces. It's a power move that, yeah, can hurt someone's feelings. I think that's bold. Thanks for sharing.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I've been on the front lines my whole life. Uh okay, Now, I was just thinking about, like I've been reflect on being a teenager because I've forgotten most of it. But I do think I spent a lot of time trying to defend habits that I created out of nowhere, not because I felt like I couldn't change, but I just didn't like the criticism. So the picky eatering pickie eating was a habit. But now I'm reforming, And for a little while there I was trying to reform with being a night out. The average night for me, I'm sleeping at four am, and now that I have a real job, gonna be up at nine am yea, which is like late, you know, and then on the weekend I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: Try and sleep for twelve hours.
Speaker 2: So it's like going to bed at four am waking up at four pm.
Speaker 4: What do you mean you have a real job.
Speaker 3: A real job is in I have like responsibilities that like I can't keep bludging that affects other people. Yeah, so like while I could sleep till mid day, it's like, well, you've got four employees base, so what are they doing while you're sleeping. It's unfortunate, but you know, blessings nonetheless, But yeah, the thing about the sleeping thing, I won't get over. Like I could change, but I don't want to because I'm so sick of the anti night out propaganda.
Speaker 4: Here's my thing.
Speaker 3: People say you get up at five am, and you get so much done in a day. But it's like, no, you don't because you're tied by eight pm, so you've had fifteen hours awake. I'm doing the same thing. I'll get up at nine, go to bed at three am. It's the same day. We're having the same day. And my thing is I'm setting up my lifestyle in a way that that's fine. Like I think that the five Am Warriors, you know, it's like it suits your lifestyle.
Speaker 4: You gotta be in an office.
Speaker 3: At nine am, and you gotta get things done beforehand because you can't get them done afterwards. But I thought, like, in the way that some people are mourning people, where is the morning person slander?
Speaker 4: Nobody thinks mourning people are bumps? Right? You think it's easy to stay up late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's easy to watch things when there's no sunlight streaming outside.
Speaker 4: I have to put the lamp on so my eyes don't get funny.
Speaker 3: But anyway, I have some research to justify my habits, which is also nice. I don't think that's the way you're meant to do it, But here we go.
Speaker 4: The night. Our syndrome.
Speaker 2: Is a sleep phase disorder. It is a genetic mutation.
Speaker 4: I can't help it.
Speaker 3: I would if I could, and I've tried, because people would ask me, what did you do when you work in an office? I suffered, Yeah, I suffered. I slept at four am, work up at seven and suffered. Anyway, people with this condition can't fall asleep until late at night, often after two am, and then struggle it up in the morning. You know how much effort it takes me not to be the annoying person to travel with getting up early when everything within my body is like please let me, let me, let us stay here. And then after finding out this fact, it took me to this other fact called bedtime procrastination. This is the psychological phenomenon when a person stays up too late in order to feel like they have some time to themselves.
Speaker 4: I always say this, I need to unwind.
Speaker 3: If that takes eight hours, I need to TikTok for three four hours. I need to read for four hours. I need to read it the book I was reading, just to make sure we're on the same page. And then if you're reading fantasy, I have to look at the glossary. I don't know what these words mean. So I say this all to say the shame needs to stop.
Speaker 4: I agree, shamy needs to stop. Thank you.
Speaker 2: When I was young, you try to stay up as lady as you can to watch Rove live. That would be considered procrusty bludging. I also think there's too much slander on junk food. Yeah, I do believe we are turning the page though, I'm becoming more accepting. I think we're starting to see holes in the healthies, wealth mindsets that dominated the twenty fifty twenty twenty era. H So, yeah, I look forward to our night all night ours that are subsisting on junk food having a revolution.
Speaker 4: My community mine too. Like I said, I've been on the front line to my whole life.
Speaker 2: I'm new to the game, but I'm willing to fight with you.
Speaker 4: Flex.
Speaker 1: This is Flex and Froomes on cat.
Speaker 2: FLEXI I came across this article, which I think you're gonna like. The title is the future is now one hundred year old predictions about twenty two. Yeah, it's so u so. Essentially, there was this English author called W. L. George and he was born in eighteen eighty two. He died in nineteen twenty six.
Speaker 4: Damn short life.
Speaker 2: So yeah, about a hundred years ago, and he was a visionary and he did this a prediction about twenty twenty two. Essentially, it was a full page article in the New York Herald. And here are some of his predictions. I suspect that commercial flying will have become entirely commonplace. The passenger steamer will survive on the coasts. What's that, Oh, passenger steam a boat on the coast, but it will have disappeared from the main routes. And there should be a distance of twelve hours between London and New York. Is there is there? Probably less? I'd say there's probably more like six.
Speaker 4: So King, he's on a roll, get it, King, He said, people of the.
Speaker 2: Year twenty twenty two will probably never see a wire outlined against the sky. It's bactically certain that the wireless telegraphy and wireless telephones will have crushed the cable system.
Speaker 3: So I need that, babe, cell phones. Oh, I thought he might like, I thought, I mean like telephone wires. Yeah, but get rid of those.
Speaker 2: I think I think telephone liars had other uses that we don't use them for anymore. So it's eight hours from New York to London. So man was close.
Speaker 4: I'm giving him.
Speaker 3: Fifty to fifty so far because I don't understand how far he's saying, so I can't confirm.
Speaker 2: He said, movies will have been will have become more attractive, and they will use natural colors and speak with ordinary voices. So obviously, back in nineteen twenty two it was like black and white, yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Maybe dubbed well Charlie Chaplin. There was like silent films. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: He said, many buildings will now stand as preserved, such as the Capitol at Washington. We're going to reserve preserved buildings.
Speaker 4: And then there are a few other ones that weren't quite right, so he act we should have led with those. We're giving you too much credit.
Speaker 2: So apparently he reckons that walls, furniture and hangings will we made more and more of paper mache bound with brass or taping along the edges, and when they get dirty, they'll peel them back, so instead of cleaning, you just peel the peel it off. It is conceivable, though not certain, that in twenty twenty two a complete meal maybe taken in the shape of four pills.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we would like that wouldn't.
Speaker 2: See what we wouldn't. I don't think that was ever gonna happen because eating is so young.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but where look at what the consequence of eating is.
Speaker 3: We eat cows, cows and the methane, the methane into the galaxy and then global warming.
Speaker 4: True. True.
Speaker 2: He also said divorce will become more commonplace. Women will work, and if he got that, yeah, come.
Speaker 4: On now through the little will work for me. I've never seen normal work in my Nobody wants to work anymore.
Speaker 2: He knew, he knew, Kim, So I thought that was pretty amazing. He did also think there's going to be like like bridges between skyscrapers in the sky, which wasn't quite right, but pretty incredible.
Speaker 3: Because I was thinking that he was predicting things that did not exist. But these were just expansions on existing ideas.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But to me, it's like if if we did so, for example, in our lifetime, when I was a kid, I couldn't have conceived there being an iPad or like a touchscreen phone. Yeah, so true, even in two thousand and five. What is this and it's got the Internet on it? Yeah, I'm saying, so I think it's pretty incredible to be able to conceive what's going to happen in thirty years time?
Speaker 4: And what was his name?
Speaker 2: mL Washington Sligh.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and frooms on Kita.
Speaker 4: Do we go to therapy? Yes? Not anymore?
Speaker 3: Oh, story for another day. Okay, I think I've taught it before, but we don't get into it.
Speaker 4: You haven't, but I think I have. What was it? I was beyond repair.
Speaker 3: I know that people say that you shouldn't like internalize therapy advice that you get on the internet that's made for ad audience, because therapy is for the individual experience, And the same way that people who like astrology say that horoscopes aren't helpful because they made for a broad audience, and you are so unique that it's not helpful to have this information.
Speaker 4: I don't care. I don't care. I'm still interested. I want to know.
Speaker 3: So there's this trend currently on TikTok that goes a little something like this things I will no longer do after becoming a insert professional here, after becoming an obg wayn after becoming a doctor, after becoming a lash technician. So this one was five things I would no longer do after becoming a psychologist. Juicy, Yes, okay, listen to this.
Speaker 5: Here are things that I wouldn't do since becoming a psychologist. Number One, any sarcastic joke made at my expense I no longer ignore, since I know that this is actually indication that this person has a problem with me but hasn't dealt with it. Maybe they're not aware of it, could be unconscious, but there's still something between the two of us that's problematic. I would never ignore my guts instinct if something doesn't feel quite right. I know now that there are more serotonin receptors in the gut system that there are in the brain. That's why the gut system is called the second brain. If I met someone with a history of aggression, I would not minimize the potential risk to me. The best predictor of dangerousness is a past history of violence. I would not give anyone under the age of high school a cell phone. The first exposure to pornography is at nine, and protophiles and predators use social media accounts of minors as a way to target and groom them. Yes, children need access to the Internet, but you can supervise a home computer. Not so much a cell phone hectic, there's a lot.
Speaker 3: I thought it was gonna be lat like I would never judge a book base cover.
Speaker 4: I said, bybe, we need a video per suggestion. I don't know what you're saying. That first one spun me for a loop.
Speaker 3: This psychologist on TikTok said that based on her practice, she would no longer accept people making sarcastic jokes about her because she feels like that illuminates that there's some kind of like deep rooted issue that needs to be discussed.
Speaker 4: And my thing is with that one.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, but like could that encourage someone to internalize everything that somebody says, like to over personalize it. So, for example, I'm being at dinner the other day and like the maitre d was reading out the specials and like for me, I'm new to like dining out and not being picky eater, So I don't know what these things are. I just go with the flow. Somebody was like, did you get that? Like did you get that? As in like you're a pickI eater? Do you know what she means when she says braise whatever, whatever whatever? And somebody else at the table got offended. On my behalf. They're like, she's trying, like, give her a second. I was like, it's not that deep, Like I can, I can understand where you're coming from. But if I'm gonna get offended every time somebody makes like a little quip, I'm gonna stay mad all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And sometimes there is nothing to resolve, Like maybe the thing they're being psychastic about is something about you that you can't change. You might not want to change it. And it doesn't mean that they're beefing you. They're just pointing out the office seekers.
Speaker 4: Um, that one's sounded personal.
Speaker 2: I want to know my brain's doing that thing again, little where I'm picturing this place in Chadstone when I'm talking.
Speaker 4: It's really annoying me. Wait, we've got to explain the thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I have a thing called synesthesia. Well that's self diagnosed quite like our psychologists. Yeah, where you're talking about one thing, or like you see one person and you see a color, you see something that's not logically correlated to that person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you interpret words in your brain as places, colors, sounds that are not obviously connected to that place. So I'm talking about this picky eater experience and Frooms in her head for no foreseeable reason. Is picturing a place.
Speaker 2: Yes and before In one of our episodes last week, I was picturing the Glen the whole time, which is a shopping center in Australia.
Speaker 4: When I say I'm talking to Frooms, I see your eyes glaze over. Because she's picturing places. I might help her interpret the message in a different dimension. I'm not there.
Speaker 2: No, I can't think of any things like I said that someone said to me recently. But I think you shouldn't take that on board. I think what was her last point.
Speaker 3: She said that she doesn't think that people below high school age should have access to phones because based on the study that nine year olds have like nine years is like the median age when people first access pornography, and that they are child predators and it's just an unsafe place and it's better as a parent that you can monitor them on like a home computer.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is a contentious point. Let it out.
Speaker 2: So if you don't give your kid a phone, they're most likely not going to be like in the little group chats, little snapchat chats with their friends, like they're not cultivating a friendship group to take them from primary school to high school, which is a tumultuous period.
Speaker 4: They could be very traumatic, so it's worth the potential. Yes, yep.
Speaker 2: However, I have been watching other tiktoks that are about child grooming and other things, and it's like, very much if I was an adult with a child, I might be doing the home computer run.
Speaker 4: Oh so you're agreeing with her? Well I don't. I'm not sure. I see both sides. Yeah.
Speaker 2: True, it's like, do you want your child to be in danger or do you want your child to have a loser?
Speaker 3: You can only have one big questions, you know. We asked the big questions. Look, I'm still processing. I will say that was overall good advice where we apply them, I'm not sure. Yeah, I think it's a good conversational photo at the very least.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Rooms Daily podcast. For more, tune Indicata on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.