Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 3: I thought I was eating a bit on the dance floor. They're doing the nut bush.
Speaker 4: It looks like a plastic toy that came out of a happy meal.
Speaker 5: We've got a listener called paul His wife is called Pauline.
Speaker 6: My loan.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell Show Gold one oh four point three.
Speaker 5: Hey, good Barny. I'm going to call this Friday.
Speaker 4: Fine, sure, yeah show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm going to call it Friday. Just own that end of the week VI because it's not listeners it's Thursday, but feels like a Friday. Today, feels like the weekend starts now Grand Final Weekend. I've actually woken up. You know, sometimes you have a dream and part of the emotional sand of is this a sad dream is still with you even though you're not in the dream. Definitely, in my dream, I'm suddenly at a hotel that in Perth, where all the desas step the way, the data stay right, and Petraka and Tom ok Donald walk by and see mean some bathing buy one of the pools there. I'm just in it. There's no explanation as to why I'm how much to wheedle my way out there? Buite. I'm out their hotel. Tom McDonald and Petrarca. Okay. They said to me, hey, we're just going for a swimming a bit muck around. Do you want to come along? And I go, ah, I don't worry about it, guys, but they go no, please, So I go, this is great.
Speaker 4: What's a muck around mean? Like splashing yea each other?
Speaker 5: It's a dream. They're saying that it's a dream. Okay, So I go, okay. When I get the goodies there right and he goes, oh, we're going to do some swimming sort of races now, and I'm like, I don't worry about it. He goes, a would Christian should get in? Get in anyway? I obviously lose, but it's so bad the diesel laughing at me. Now I don't feel quite.
Speaker 4: The same way, which would probably happen.
Speaker 5: It would happen, of course it would happen. I'm not going to beat young prime athletes, am I I'm forty eight. I've been like to impress Strokes rights Cloyde in this pool. Anyone else, get your thow throatitch I hate ten minutes ago you should never eat guys for the hour, wrote me, the keyboarder storry guys, and they're all laughing at me, and I felt so humiliated I went, I got a stitch of it. I've got to go and make some business calls now. And they all knew I was getting out the pool. That's the end of the dream, and the alarm went off to come and do the show.
Speaker 7: Well, hopefully it wears off by Saturday or else you'll be watching the game and you'll feel.
Speaker 5: I feel differently now your enemy like that. They laughed at me.
Speaker 4: They're your bullies.
Speaker 5: You need to puddy by my own team. Have you ever had a dream about the bombers?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, James heard flushed my head down the toilet.
Speaker 5: It's a common, well known thing. Do you know what I think it was? The earthquake, the tremors. So yeah, extraordinary scenes yesterday at about what nine twenty is? When? So is it is that right now? It's that official abouts here? A magnitude six.
Speaker 3: Five point nine I believe just a fraction of six. Yeah, you could round it up.
Speaker 4: The seismologist should have just rounded up because.
Speaker 5: In fact, if arms and I'd say almost seven, you know, once you get a by the five, you don't really worry about it's not on radio. Figures come out and your number one. But you know there's a little site fudge of it where they just claim it. Anyway, So apparently where was the ePIE Center, because they're saying that there was it Mansfield.
Speaker 3: Mansfield, which is northeast of Melbourne, about what is it three and a half hours four hours away?
Speaker 4: That's your old stop.
Speaker 3: It's not far. Yeah, relatives felt the ground move yesterday.
Speaker 5: I think everyone felt something yesterday. Tom you know his girlfriend works in surgery. She's a doctor. Yep, she was in surgery. Obviously, people because if you think about what anyone is doing in a big city like Melbourne at exactly that moment in the morning, they're doing stuff and we're in lockdown, but there's still a central service has been carried out. People are performing procedures.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 5: There was an open heart surgery going on, and you can imagine the shake. Jack and I were in this studio just having a meeting. It was swaying, puts it mildly.
Speaker 4: It made the building feel flimsy, and that's what many people said. The same thing. Bianca said house.
Speaker 5: This building is flimsy. That's what I like, because I remember just thinking, so is this it? I'll die because this building won't survive much more of this. I mean there's barely a day goes by and there's not a horrible smell of crap out there with the sewer problems. Remember like once a week the male toilets are just bunned up where they're out of order, and just walking into a sception there's often a horrible smell of an open tree. If they can't even get the toilets working, it ain't gonna survive five point nine on the Richt.
Speaker 7: This does have a feeling of like one of the first buildings in Melbourne.
Speaker 5: Yeah it would be. Now it's actually Betty Burgers. But if that's shaking a corrit out any longer and we're on the second floor here, I did actually think so, wait, is this it? We die? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And we didn't move a muscle.
Speaker 5: No, we're in an.
Speaker 3: Emergent sitting there with your feet up now.
Speaker 5: Jack and I were stood up. I remember one point grabbing hold of the studious like that's going to save me. This will My biceps are pretty strong and probably stronger than be stronger than magnitude six.
Speaker 4: I thought you were going to secure the radio equipment.
Speaker 5: I have secured the station. Captain goes down with the station and I'm just dinning that trailer. This radio station is thirty years old.
Speaker 4: Tom is not true?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just yeah, I just read that.
Speaker 5: I didn't know anyone told any of us. Yeah, I hear they're having a party on it that we're I invianted to. This is like my d'stream. I'm being rejected everywhere, eive of my own radio station. Also, this radio station would be thirties, heading into Middle Ages.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: Yesterday, I had to go and find a cash machine. They're getting rarer and rarer, and one where it used to be has been shut down. Now I'm as to find one. How are they still open in this lockdown world? How is every cash machine right fingers over not a tiar one site. Also, I would think of years and years, decades use those cash machines, right, How do we not spread more diseases through them? As I was queuing up to use the cash machine, right, there was as an old lady. It was the old folk I think are still keeping the old cash machines going and they get the receipt as well for their records. I know that machine taking or saying it gave me money. I didn't file that away. When I get back my boxley rats file who goes print receipt? What are you doing with that? Where's it going? Anyway? As it's my turn to use the old magic box in the wall, and I thought, hang on it. And I've got to be careful, you know in these COVID age. So I I extended my T shirt and put my finger this one minimeter cotton rubbit made in Venezuela. What protects me from any diseases on here? But you got to remember your pin code? Is there many different pin codes now as well? So yeah, we had to get I had to get some money yesterday because we owed a team member some money. I also producer Tom because I got into get abound fifty dollars worth of bets on the brown out the weekend and obviously if I'm giving the money, none of it paid out, all right? So you heard the Neil Mitchell thing yesterday. This is how radio reacted yesterday to what we were all experiencing. There's been a lot of that last eighteen months going through another moment in history together and this time so I just presumed afterwards there must be a history of earthquakes that I just hadn't experience in three years of living here.
Speaker 7: Now, the one we remembered trying to remember from ten or fifteen years ago was like a magnitude two. So nothing compared to.
Speaker 5: What we found. Yeah, in London years ago, about twelve years ago, there was a magnitude two point two and I remember at the time I actually thought that, you know something to speak a crown too many clothes into the washing machine. I went to look at it, because it's often me scram points going that's a matt However, yesterday been on a second Flova builder that actually was rocking from side to side. Jack was actually concerned the protester to come here and was shaking the radio stage. They're in there, I know it's there, shake them out. So Neil Mitchell off on a day this week, right, a.
Speaker 4: Lot of radio shows are off on this week.
Speaker 5: In fact, we're the only ones here. Neil Mitchell, this must have been hurting him this week because this week is like peak news pawn, so much going on protesters the roadmap on Sunday, and then there's it was the earthquake that made him So has he got the capability from home to overtake his radio station?
Speaker 7: What I understand he's been broadcasting at home this whole time. So Tony Jones, who's filling.
Speaker 5: In, she thinks he's in some bunker, isn't he?
Speaker 4: He hasn't seen the light of day into.
Speaker 5: Two miles underground. He will when there is a nuclear war like World War three. The only thing that will survive is cockcroaches and Neil Mitchell and his bunker.
Speaker 7: So Tony Jones is filling in from him at the station and then Neil just materializes on three W from his.
Speaker 5: Home hologram Neil And so this is the audio.
Speaker 4: I think this is it, Rick.
Speaker 9: We've got Neil Mitchell on the line.
Speaker 10: He's keeping the tabs on the situation from the home front on holiday?
Speaker 11: Did scare you at the time?
Speaker 8: Which we're talking that Neil?
Speaker 5: So he just jumps in chat to that corner.
Speaker 7: That's right, No, that's that's a police senior police officer doing an interview with Tony John.
Speaker 4: So Neil Mitchell comes in interview.
Speaker 5: He just joins He doesn't even say I've got this now, Tony. Wow, what a power move. I'm now nervous that Neil could take her for any show he wants to, any moment. He can take over this frequency.
Speaker 9: Rick, We've got Neil Mitchell on the line.
Speaker 10: He's keeping sister tabs on the situation from the home front, Neil.
Speaker 11: Rick NuGen did scare you at the time?
Speaker 5: So Neil did he go high, I'm off on holiday. It's Neil Mitchell. He just joins in seamlessly.
Speaker 7: It's like Tony's driving the car and he's like, oh, Neil Mitchell's in the back of the car.
Speaker 4: Just a second. Then Neil Mitchell climbs into and pushes Tony out the door.
Speaker 9: This Rick, We've got Neil Mitchell on the line.
Speaker 10: He's keeping sister tabs on the situation from the home front.
Speaker 11: Neil Rick NuGen did scare you at the time?
Speaker 8: Which are we talking about?
Speaker 12: Neil?
Speaker 8: So sitting there on the on that high rise building when it hit, when the earthquake hit, did it skip?
Speaker 5: And this is the end of it, so awkward sort of wrap up between them.
Speaker 11: Thanks, thank you, Ricky, job, I've got a few things more. I'll talk to you after the break if you like Tony.
Speaker 9: Yeah for sure, all right, so Egal phone lines ficture.
Speaker 11: You don't want me anymore, doy.
Speaker 9: Well, that wouldn't be a good career.
Speaker 5: Move new ordered.
Speaker 11: Okay, we will talk to you on six nine thirty two. Back in a moment.
Speaker 5: That is that weird?
Speaker 4: Two people doing the radio.
Speaker 5: Show once, two outphas, it's just two outpas. Meanwhile, Boris Johnson was a guy that started discussing it at a press conference with Scomo.
Speaker 13: I was very thorring that you had an earthquake, just yeah in the mansfield that's.
Speaker 5: Right in Victoria, which I know, well, right, we need to contact number ten down in street. How does Boris Johnson, even if he's aware of the state of Victoria, great, how does he know about Mansfield? Boris Johnson? Has he ever been to Mansfield? Has he got Are there any relatives of here? We to undercover this, what is going on?
Speaker 13: I was very sorry that you had an earthquake, just yeah in the man's field that's right in Victoria, which I know, well, not.
Speaker 4: Even I've been there, Like I passed her on my way to the Skifield.
Speaker 5: I know, well, yeah, not that I know of I know, well, how justify that?
Speaker 1: Boris Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: I got an email here from Adam this simpler show right now. Hello Adam Christian, listen to you play in excess from the Grand Final. I was there. I've been to four Grand Finals as a Saints fan. Always a hugely disappointing day and it says played and they were great. And as we were trudging back Laca after yet another disappointing Grand Final, I was still in my St Kilda kit. We looked over and I saw Kirk Pengilly from an excess walking as well. He looked over, saw me and my family. Our eyes met. I could see nothing but a sympathy in his eyes and he sort of had been one of those that like that was ugly. That's from Adam, just to clarify some of them. We just played this out earlier for Boris Johnson and Scomo talking about the quake.
Speaker 13: I was very sorry you had an earthquake just yet in the Mansfield. That's right in Victoria, which I.
Speaker 5: Know well, so a lot of you have found out. I've told us then. The reason why Boris Johnson really does know Mansfield well Is apparently quite a few of you texting in. Boris was apparently a teacher at timber Top. Oh really imagine having him as a teacher. It would be an amazing chaos but incredible. Every lesson would be amazing with Boris. So yesterday, when with the big earthquake shook Melbourne, Jack and I were in the studio. The show had just finished at nine o'clock, I think it was around twenty past nine, nine to twenty five, and it went on for we now know went on for ten seconds. We're on the second floor. The building was really shaking, and then when it all calmed down, no one really knew what was going on. We just thought it was some building work. This building weren't going on in here. And it was only then when we realized when we were told that it had been an earthquake, and it was possibly a five point eight five point nine. But the incredible thing was of you were calling in. There was this instinctive need for all of us to talk about what we've just been through and compare notes. You want to talk to somebody, and so me, Jack and Pats jumped into the studio and recorded a load of calls with you guys. I'm really glad we did because so this was live yesterday. I reckon what minutes after the earthquake magnitude six. Here were some of the calls, Ratts. So did you fill that quake?
Speaker 14: Yeah, dann in point cook mate.
Speaker 12: Everything in the shed was moving around, and me mate across the road, daddy's pearl water was moving about a foot over east side.
Speaker 8: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 5: You were okay? Were you frightened?
Speaker 6: It did shiver me a little bit.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've never felt an earthquake before.
Speaker 5: Stay safe, Brett. Thanks for colling, buddy. Karen.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 15: It was horrible. I work in the general store and post office at Panton Hill. The whole place started shaking. I thought a truck had hit the shot. The doors on the storage cabinet fell down, and it was just yeah.
Speaker 5: We're scared.
Speaker 15: At first, I thought what was that? Then it just kept rumbling and rumbling, and I thought, oh my god. And I ran outside and I couldn't see anything, and then I realized I think we had an earthquake.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you're okay, Karen. Thanks for carding. Take care look after yourself.
Speaker 16: Thank you.
Speaker 5: By John. Did the earth move for you.
Speaker 8: In a big way?
Speaker 5: Mate?
Speaker 8: We were sitting at Middonald's just waiting for our order to come through, and the car started shaking. We thought they were tricking us, just walking up and shaken the.
Speaker 5: Bad cat really trying to get those shakes really shaky. It's a new promotion, the Shaky Shakes in town and the red Froffee enough.
Speaker 8: So they were trying to cross another bit.
Speaker 5: More John, take care, Thanks Mick.
Speaker 8: I was inside the Fat Tree and I was just making out some paint because I'm doing a bit of painting there.
Speaker 16: And then I've told like a little.
Speaker 8: Tremor and I looked up on the roof because they've got cross bars across.
Speaker 16: The roof, and they sounded shaking like man, I thought, whoa.
Speaker 8: Here we go.
Speaker 5: Were you scared?
Speaker 8: No, not really, I was just don't paying at while I shake them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jack and I did nothing. We just stood there talking. When a nana come in and carry me out? Where's Kevin coss Up?
Speaker 1: Christian know Connell's show.
Speaker 5: Podcast tomorrow thirty years old. I cannot believe never mind second of our album is thirty years old tomorrow. I still remember going to my local town vinyl shop. It only had one vinyl shot Venus Records, and buying it, being so excited because you had delayed gratification to get on the bus go all the way home. I was just looking at it, reading a little line of notes. But all the engineers were and the names of all the people involved in making the album, and you've got no idea what it was going to be like. You hadn't really been able to hear samples that get now leaked on the internet, and then getting home and listening to it and it just being I guess now when you go back and listen to it, right, it's actually quite a basic kind of production to it. You don't get all the kind of stuff you can get now when you're making modern records. But for such a basic album, it still sounds huge. It's an amazing album. So I think I was. I must have been a team when it came out. Go on to press, Patsy and I held you.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess it would have been three.
Speaker 5: It is you on the front cover? Is it? That is young joke? Post?
Speaker 16: All right?
Speaker 5: God one a four point three time for the one second winner. We do this with the eighties of the eighties. We're a player a one second clip of a song from the eighties to do this week's letter which is the letter S? So artist or title? To do with the letter s or from the eighties? Are you ready? Team playing?
Speaker 3: Ready?
Speaker 5: Oh dear, forgot about this. Patsy is on a trillion and a half. Jack is on one trillion, ten million and one. We keep type records here on this show. All right? Who is.
Speaker 3: Oh SI studio feel colins?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well done, Patsy? All right? Who is to do with a letter? San?
Speaker 6: What a song?
Speaker 5: Our school disco in the eighties didn't end with this? True? Spand out by day by dam Patsy, Wake up, Jackie boy? Who is this?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, last day?
Speaker 3: Or should I go?
Speaker 4: That's what I was going to say, running away with it?
Speaker 5: Patsy, No, you do, you do celebrate the small rooms, Jack about the small rooms.
Speaker 4: I'll get this one.
Speaker 5: Actually you will. You will.
Speaker 3: Stop stop giving him You've got to stop there.
Speaker 5: Actually that was whatsoever?
Speaker 3: Oh push it someting Pepper. We did play that yesterday, Yes, we did. During the eighties of the eighties.
Speaker 5: Diase, all right, you shared with the news of this week and what you've been up to you will get this.
Speaker 3: A sexual healing Marvin Gay.
Speaker 5: What is it? Nineteen eighty two sexual he of Marvin Gay, first time ever. She hears smash show. No. Graciously for that horribleness, you get reset to one. Patsy gets all your points. He's now on two trillion.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: Fan the Stand, the Grand Final. We've got our three contenders. They've got to put their words. They're reach given a power ballad Aerosmith. I don't want to miss a thing. Bonnie Tyler, Tourtal Clips the Heart Born Joe Living on Apparent. They've got to put their own words to it. Begging for this thanks to Harvey Norman, Mega TV, seventy five inch Sony x R four k U h D, Flora n D l c D, Google TV, Jackie Boy, the soundbar.
Speaker 7: From Memory, the three two point one Dolby at Moss Sony soundbar with Bluetooth get in.
Speaker 5: They win all of that. Last year we did this and we gave them classic TV theme tunes and they had to put their own lyrics to win the TV last year. Here's how they got on and I think justin Wilso win it. We'll go to his one's last was this guy Chris. We gave him the Friends theme tune. It's begging for his big TV.
Speaker 17: My TV's old and is sitting in the lounge. They guess three channels only with no bloody sounds. It's been sad way for over a year when there's not a single show.
Speaker 9: You know you sat ripping your rats.
Speaker 5: I will beg for you. This was great.
Speaker 17: Jaack and Pats will sing for you like a bunch of angry cats. Five windys praz It'll be forty beers fry.
Speaker 5: All right. Then there was clip very different. What is the word quality?
Speaker 6: Christ everybody need to go to.
Speaker 18: I can my husband outside, especially if the.
Speaker 6: Type something.
Speaker 5: That was Clase. We don't need another fifteen seconds of her today.
Speaker 4: That was meant to be neighbors. I believe anyone could understand what the original was.
Speaker 5: Then this was the winner. This was a great one from justin his begging lyrics to play school TV thing tune.
Speaker 1: Croon there q let as well.
Speaker 4: It's an awesome TV and what a proof.
Speaker 2: As had sixty five inches wide, it would look great outside on my deck.
Speaker 1: Locked Christian, I'm making plays.
Speaker 5: Brace brilliant. He was a deserved winner. All been to about the producers. We haven't heard the entries this year. Is that overall not quite as good as last year? Anyway, that's coming up in an hour's time. We can't wait.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Christian O Carl Show podcast oftener.
Speaker 5: You ever like this. If you go into a store and you hear them playing a radio station, right, you always go why they've gone for that radio station? Yes, I was in a Grosses and they're playing a smooth okay, and I get why they were too smooth, smoothest the people. I've given up online.
Speaker 4: It's not offensive to anybody.
Speaker 5: People are. I don't want to hear anyone talking. I just want to hear songs played continuously. They're all a certain bpm. Nothing spikes, not too much excitement for me, just vanilla vanilla fam is smooth. However, ad break kicks in, that's noisy, because that breaks are you only really asks how noisy samad breaks are? Not here on gold obviously we respectful. Never however, on smooth them a noisy compared to the it's smooth coming up next line. L Richie in a classic of his from nineteen eighty three and then it went this weekend, place your bets UFC two sixty six, Volkanovski takes on Brian Ortager, who the hangman is bad? I thinking, what smooth listeners? What brilliant sales boats are on Smooth's God? Oh their listeners to Smooth love line or Richie. They love a show tune and they love men and women locked in a octogon.
Speaker 4: What's the ven diagram?
Speaker 5: Smooth lists don't go to gold with a guy loves UFC work for your scene. No, No, Smooth is where you put your UFC money. Imagine they might they must. How is anyone listening to Smooth? Who is into the UFC? All right, then we're heading into long weekend and all this week we've been getting your amazing MCG stories, So you cancord in now last chance this week then to celebrate the MCG. It's going to be empty this Saturday. We want to give the MCG some love. You've got so many great moments. You would have been there, not just a Grand Finals and the games, but working there or w you mint his sporting shows there nine four one one O four to three. This week also we've been getting messages and stories from friends of the show as well. Huggy called here in Alistair Lynch, who's got a story about the MCG. This is Alistair Lynch.
Speaker 19: Gooday everyone, Alisdal Lynch here. The MCG brings back so many great memories and obviously the standout he's been a part of the Brisbane Lines three pet winning the premierships in one, two and three. To suggest that was a dream come true would be an overstatement. After I don't think my dreams were ever that optimistic. But the moment that really stands out for me at the MCG was the two thousand and one final sign I was fortunate enough to have the ball in my hand, and not that it was about me or but it was about that moment and almost that image signaled the finish line for so many people, you know, the team, the coaches, the members and sponsors that had been involved with the footy club had experienced the ups and downs and had dreamt of actually getting to that moment when the siren goes and your team's in front. I mean, that was a magical moment. You just gotta love the MCG.
Speaker 5: Thanks for sharing that one.
Speaker 4: They beat the bombers that day, so I'm not actually impressed with that.
Speaker 5: Alis still I think that's why we put that on.
Speaker 7: Also, was he on a ham radio in Antarctica's community radio.
Speaker 5: This is from I'm a good friend of ours and Brant Neugen aka Hollywood. When we're the beginning of the year, when we did one last game, when we put together a team of you guys who used to love playing the game, when we're pretty decently put you up against a team of fox footy. Hollywood was the guy where we had far too much about his damaged toe, do you remember, became the biggest talking point. Before there was Bontampelly's knee, there was Hollywood's toe. Anyway, MCG very different kind of story for this guy.
Speaker 20: Hello Christian Hollywood here, I see you've been talking about memories you've had at the MCG. Well, I have a very unique and memorable experience, one that I will never forget. Setting the scene, it was a Friday night in one of the corporate boxes. Chandala and I had been eating and drinking plenty as you do. At halftime, I decided we put it to a vote and said a three quarter time we should sneak off to the toilet and get it on. To my surprise, she said, Okay, So while the others were eating the scones and cave, we ducked off, and let's just say the rest is history A very memorable night.
Speaker 4: Indeed, we've been to those corporate boxes.
Speaker 5: They're not as walls flemsy walls.
Speaker 7: They're small, and when somebody goes into the only toilet in there, you are aware that they're in there.
Speaker 5: I know this says a lot about me being English, but I thought of a nice jam and cream scone. Right that isn't in you from mimism. By the way, I really just love that, Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Really the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: We're talking about your mcg stories. I'm still reeling that one of our listeners has.
Speaker 4: I thought you were going to say the guy whod climbed up the lightower. No, it's not that unbelievable.
Speaker 5: We worked there, No our listener, Hollywood, who did this?
Speaker 20: So while the others were eating the scones and cake, we ducked off, and let's just say the rest is history A very memorable night.
Speaker 5: Indeed, the rest is history. She produced like one hundred kids nine months later. I don't think that is history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a little plaque for him at that corporate clo.
Speaker 5: Hey, miss Blake has a story as well. He's getting involved about.
Speaker 21: The MS Cheers Hamish here. So I'm just thinking favorite MCG memory. I mean there are a lot. I saw Australia played the West Dindy's there. That was my first international One Day game that I went to. I taught my son to ride his bike around the MCG. We used to live near the MCG in Richmond for you know, for five or six years. But probably I think my favorite memory would be the first d AFL game I took my little boy to saw the Demons. I think we're playing Hawthorne and Tom McDonald was injured and we were sitting near Tommy in the stands or next to Tommy, and I think it was about twenty seventeen, and Tom was really great with Sonny, you know, explained the game to him, talked to him about it. And now then every time we'd watch the D's on TV afterwards and Tom mkicker goal, Sonny would go, that's my friend Tom McDonald.
Speaker 1: He plays for the Demons.
Speaker 5: So that was the place where the friendship started connected DZ. Yeah, Tommy shat near Tommy, You're not in the top tier, right, You're not in the nose beach. Tom mcdonald'sn't up there, all right, So we're looking for your stories. Now, let's got a ray, Good morning, Ray morning.
Speaker 12: Yes, I actually bought two truckloads of the old hollow turf and transplanted in the yard.
Speaker 5: This is incredible, right, how do you mean you you actually bought some How did you manage to own some of the MCG turf?
Speaker 16: Well, it goes back in the late nineties. We actually worked there and the company I was hired with, Yeah, they we were contracted out there, so meld Bass he bought so many tons of it, So we ended up dispersing it and I ended up with two truckloads and and yes I worked there for how much Eminy that doesn't don't.
Speaker 5: Worry about the old CV. Let's say that for another show.
Speaker 16: Yeah, yeah, but I actually worked at the at the MCJ when they resurfaced it too.
Speaker 5: So wow, incredible. And the turf that you got, you took it to your backyard, did it take Yes?
Speaker 16: I didn't have to see that, it just it just grew. I thought I thought I was going to poison it because I thought it was all weighted, But yes, it all come up.
Speaker 5: So you've got your own mini mcg at home in the backyard.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but now the dog's all trampled over it and get a mess out of it.
Speaker 16: And when we were I remember towards the end, when we're finishing off the turf, we actually come across the old running Olympic running running track.
Speaker 5: You had some of that, Ah, No, A couple of other bat to say, who is the old master puppeteer in the background? Is that your wife? Yes? My wife? Does that any phone call? Have you told him about it? I love the double act again here Ray and missus Ray, what is your what is your lovely wife's name?
Speaker 16: Berni?
Speaker 5: Bernie's good morning in the background.
Speaker 15: Money, Christian, You've got to thank my husband for putting me onto your program after Eddy Less triple him.
Speaker 5: We're not steady, but we gained you.
Speaker 22: Bernie's indeed, and I don't miss your morning shows now.
Speaker 5: Ah lovely Bernie's lovely to have you on board your very high profile transfer to the show. Lovely stuff. Nothing all right, well, listen Bernie some Ray gone back to triple Bernie some ray Thank you very much for give us a call. Please call the show anytime. What a great double act. I actually think the phone line has collapsed again. Our phones have been broken seriously for the last hour and twenty minutes. We've got so many things lined up today for this grand final, spa Jack. If that's the only college day today, tough talk.
Speaker 4: There was probably time for ready to share with others.
Speaker 5: But I think the phone lines Rayon Burnie so powerful they may just have melted the phones. And let's try how we got here, Cheri.
Speaker 22: Hi, Christian, how are you describe?
Speaker 5: We can talk to people, CHERI? What's your mcg stories?
Speaker 22: Okay, so my MCJ stories. So, I'm a mad Demons fan, have been since today I was born. Thanks mom, can't.
Speaker 5: Wait for this weekend, can you, sue?
Speaker 22: I'm pretty excited, pretty excited seeing we can't go. But anyway, it is what it is. But so my MCJ story is I've been going to the footy for thirty five consecutive years as a member, so I'm proud of that.
Speaker 5: Awesome.
Speaker 22: I'll be forty in November. Anyway, My story is we used to wait out the front of the clubroom to see the players after every single game we lose or drawer get their autographs. The boys could go in after footing and listen to the plate, players and the coaches talk after the game. Us, the little girls were never allowed. At about ten, me and my friend Christy, we had this idea. Would put our long blonde hair up in our hats, put our scarves around our necks. We got We got past the old man standing at the rooms making.
Speaker 5: Sure is non existent.
Speaker 22: Yes, anyway, and behold we get into the rooms. Two little girls, so excited to see our favorite players. Walk straight in. First player, I saw Brian Wilson naked, my bursting, the tears, ran out of there so fast, straight into the arms of my mum.
Speaker 5: The horror sh lovely Schari, thank you very much. She cool. Welcome, Thank you and listen. God's enjoy the Grand Final this weekend.
Speaker 22: Jo dates Thanks Risian, Annie.
Speaker 5: Hi Annie, what's your MCG story for us? Mate?
Speaker 23: Okay, summer nineteen eighty six, very hot, I'm very pregnant in the members stand watching the cricket. I leave the stand and I walked to the concrete steps and walkways out the back looking for a breeze, sat on the steps. A man walks past me, says, you look hot and offered me a bottle of water. Sat on the steps with me. We had to chat about the joy of children and he gets up, off he goes. I get up, go back to the stand. Later that night, turn on the TV, say to my husband, that's the man I was talking to today. How some turns around and says to me, that's the Richards.
Speaker 5: Wow elegend.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 23: Yeah, he just sat with me and we enjoyed the breeze and it.
Speaker 5: Was lovely, lovely Annie. Thank you very much. You cool, Take care and enjoy the long weekend.
Speaker 23: Thank you bye.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell show podcast kidd as mister Bry's side, would you say that's one of the best Grand Final performance?
Speaker 7: Says I went watching trying to watch along with the YouTube clip of Jack Raywold singing that what.
Speaker 4: A moment it was. Yeah, it's kind of incredible.
Speaker 5: And the kidders didn't really know because AFL is massive sport here, but you know, globally it's barely know and they didn't really know who he was other than he's won the players and he wants to sing along, think of like.
Speaker 7: Are there any better days that a humans had than that? He wins his first ever Grand Fight, has the Grand Final metal hanging around your neck, and then sings with the Killers.
Speaker 4: On stage after the final siren.
Speaker 5: It's just amazing, all right. So before we go into the headlines, we've got one more. We've enjoyed so many great MCG stories this week. Here's one from Jackie.
Speaker 24: Felgate High Christian Jackie Falgate from seven years My favorite memory of the MCG was in two thousand and seven Grand Final. Me and a friend got these press passes and snuck down into the rooms after the game, where I walked straight up to Stevie Johnson and said any chance I could get a picture with you, and he put the norm Smith around my next and I only wasn't supposed to be in the rooms, but I was walking around for about half an hour wearing his norm Smith. Went out to dinner with some friends after the game, and I met my husband that night, So that was my favorite memory.
Speaker 5: Well, Christian Connell's show podcast, whilst we were taking them about five minutes ago, we had a legend of the game. D's legend David Neat scored in with his MCG memories and stories. He's on the line now, David, welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Christian. But it's fantastic to be here. And I have heard some of the FAHA stories and they are they fantastic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're amazing. So how do you feel, just quickly, how do you feel then two days before the d's in the Grand Final? What does that start up for you?
Speaker 8: Before? Before I jumped into that, I'll quickly really I've got an FAJA story of my eyes. I'm just really just to get him with the same this morning. But I was very fortunate. Obviously, they play lots of games on the MCG, and my story, I guess is that, you know, everyone wants to be a bit of a hero at the MCG. I was very lucky to get out there and play games and do things like that, got big crowds, big moments and all those things. But at the end of my career I was I was lucky enough to have a bar and a terrace named after me at the G, which was just an awesome honor. You know, I've got the games record holder and the goal kicking record at the MCG, but having that having the bar at the MCG is one of the main things for me. But I had an amazing experience of being a hero outside of the ground, unrelated to football, but it was. We had the Boxing Day tests. Obviously a huge crowd at the Boxing Day tests and I rarely go, usually on holidays with the family. For one particular year, we had our Christmas plans were thrown out. I had a friend that always goes to the MCG a Boxing Day test, and so I thought i'd meet him there. So I went. I went along to the game and I said, okay, well what are we going to do? Where we're going to meet? And he said, just just get there. Just get there and I'll let you know what we're doing. So I arrived at the gate at the MCG. I'm a little bit late. There's a rain delay and he said. I said, well, where are you mate, And he said, well, you wouldn't believe it, but we're at the David Mats Bar. So I thought, I was here we go. I'm in a bit of trouble here. So I'm a few hours late. The boys have already had a couple of beers and anyway, I go up to the third level of the MCG up to the terrace, and sure enough my mates organized about twenty people. As soon as I've walked in, They've just had a huge ten of met up and the whole bar has just gone a light because of the breaking. Just about everyone of the MCD packed into these and then and then the next thing. And you know, I've got some Scottish backgrounds, you know, my mother's side of the family, and the whole bar started changing. Your shout neither.
Speaker 7: But I feel like you shouldn't have to pay for a drink in the David dats busy.
Speaker 8: Well, well, I immediately got extremely nervous at that point in time.
Speaker 5: That's the Scottish blood in you as well. Very the Scottish.
Speaker 8: Bud was concerned. So anyway, I've nervously and shapelessly walked across the bar and thankfully the bar and just started pouring out beers, giving him to me and said, just I'll keep pouring beers and you start handing them out, and I'll tell you what I think. I've never been a bigger hero at them that day, the applause and the eruption of joy was immense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do you know what next? Time I'm at that bar, and I'll just say David said, I could out myself. You know he's got Scottish heritage, said close to me, and needs are that's amazing, and add the barther Does it serve your beer? Because I know you've got the for Neil Danator's charity, you've got the Rhumanity your beer that you brought out, does it serve that?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I do have a beer company these days. But no, no it doesn't. Unfortunately doesn't. That's been locked away through contract. Blow so you. But yeah, we have got a great little beer company. We've got a new beer out actually at the moment it's called the Mouth of the South, which is available I g A and celebrations and all good independent bottle shops. So and he listens out there. Probably not this time in the morning, but as you're preparing for your Grand Finals, you want to get a prova.
Speaker 5: Thanks to reminding him, David, because some of them do need reminding it quarters eight might be too early to get on the pop.
Speaker 8: A little bit.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yeah, at least wait till eight. Correct And so are you excited this weekend? You know seeing the D's in a Grand final? What is it? What does it fell like?
Speaker 8: Look, I am it's it's unbeloved. We know, fifty seven years, twenty one years since we were lasting the Grand finally in two thousand and you know, I think the excitement now as we get closer and closer, is really starting to build. You see the colors all around Melbourne. People are patting their fences, streamers everywhere. It's really exciting, you know, even though the game is a long way away over in person, we're all but rather to be at the MCG. But look we're there and we're a big chance to take it out. So I'm super excited about it.
Speaker 5: And what do you like to watch a game with? Yeah? Are you? Are you up on your feet screaming, shouting like physically like you're almost willing the players to move one way or kick it?
Speaker 8: Well by seven year old daughter and all of a sudden, you have dad, You'll get really loud, that really loud. So I I've been up and about and screaming at the TV, young at the apar, doing all the crazy things that normal supporter would do.
Speaker 5: Absolutely well. I went for the D's when I moved it three years ago. So I'll be watching I'll be tuning on and I hope the DS do it.
Speaker 8: How you feel your better? I know you're you're a d span and an exciting feeling, isn't that.
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean I've only been a fan for three years and I feel for so many of my listeners who've been supporting them and going for decades and decades and decades. But it is really exciting. I hope it's another great Grand Final, the two best teams doing it. It's the Grand Final we deserve. But yeah, i'd love to see it, of course, it'd be incredible, and they played really well this year. I feel sorry for Nathan Jones, took my players who had over three hundred games, like you, sat on his count somewhere cheering them on with mixed feelings. So but yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 8: Yeah, look at Nathan. What an ornament to the game as we have clubs and he's just been unbelievable. His legacy will live on and that his unfortunately caps be there. But as you say, I think it'll be a cracker of the game. Two midfields with you know Bott and Pelly Bot, Pelly Liberatore and Barry Smith for the Bulldogs and Oliver Petraka gone for them.
Speaker 5: Great players on both teams.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean if those two midfields in particular plays their best footy, we are going to have a cracker.
Speaker 16: Of a game.
Speaker 5: Great. Thank you very much for the kind of preview we've got for me as well. Needs thank you so much for giving us a cool day. It's lovely to talk to you and get you on the show. Enjoy the game this weekend. God's Joe Domons.
Speaker 8: Thanks Christian.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: All right, let's give away a great price now one of our three contenders this week and found the stand thanks to Harvey Norman. When there's four thousand on entertainment package, seventy five inch Mega TV delivered and installed for Saturday's game, Let's do it?
Speaker 11: What game's up there? Make you look all right?
Speaker 5: So at the end of the yesterday's show, we told all the three winners have only won two hundred and fifty bucks to spend at Harvey Norman. They were given a power ballad that they would spend yesterday and amongst an earthquake, putting their lyrics begging for the big TV. Ben was given this by Bonnie Tyler. Corey de Garbo was given this moment, a moment Laura was given this. Let's say, let's say good luck now to all three of them.
Speaker 8: Corey, good luck, Yeah, thanks, Matt, Happy GFS day.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Cory, Ben, good luck, thanks having media and Gus and Laura.
Speaker 8: Yes, good luck, Christians, good luck?
Speaker 5: All right, good luck the three of you. Let's play back their entries. First up. Then let's go to Corey begging for his TV, doing his version of total clips in the heart.
Speaker 6: I don't know what to do.
Speaker 11: My TV is just no good.
Speaker 6: The picture's gone off, blurting.
Speaker 5: It sounds not.
Speaker 25: How it should.
Speaker 6: We need a new one right now. Please go on. I gotta see the first bed.
Speaker 22: The kids are gonna tear up the.
Speaker 18: Help about the time when I'm down on my knees begging for that Sony TV and the accus weren't paid to say please help?
Speaker 5: Wow? Why are you grimacing that?
Speaker 7: I didn't I was trying. I was straining to hear what the kids say. So what was the one the kids sung?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 8: Corey, Corey, Christian help out? That out?
Speaker 4: Christian help out?
Speaker 5: Well? That was great there, So Corey, joined by your wife Autumn and Lincoln and Hazel their kids. Well done, Corey. Let's now try Ben, who was given Arrowsmith's I don't want to miss a thing.
Speaker 25: Christian?
Speaker 1: Would you please pick me for the new teaving?
Speaker 5: Is he kidding?
Speaker 4: It's just the first You can't interrupt him, but I can.
Speaker 5: It's four thousand dollars Bryce?
Speaker 1: What Christian?
Speaker 10: Would you please pick me for the new teaving?
Speaker 5: And I can't see sco Won't you help me?
Speaker 12: Please?
Speaker 6: Because I really need a new teavent.
Speaker 7: The dogs chewed up my remote and now.
Speaker 12: I can hear the crowd.
Speaker 5: What am I gonna do?
Speaker 1: Won't you're pretty pretty?
Speaker 6: Please pick me?
Speaker 5: Good? Good Andy? Wow don I'm joy that there were some good lines in there as well. Well done Ben. All right. Finally, then let's go to yesterday's winner. It was Laura. We gave Laura Bonchovi living on a Prayer and see how Laura gone.
Speaker 25: Thank you having Norm and we love you a.
Speaker 5: Lot, straight in with the client credit. She knows the game, Thank.
Speaker 25: You having Norm and we love you a lot.
Speaker 14: Watching Google TV, Christian seeds beat the dogs and with the Sony sandbar.
Speaker 25: That's a lot to love.
Speaker 6: This prize is so hot.
Speaker 25: We wanted so bad?
Speaker 26: Lo one O four answer our prayer like our song and we will do any day.
Speaker 6: God one O four please answer our prayer.
Speaker 5: We will fill that. Oh loa join my husband Bill. What's the opposite of harmonies? Can we hear it again?
Speaker 25: Wow? Thank you having Norman. We love you a lot watching Google.
Speaker 14: TV, Christians, Deeas beat the Dogs and with the Sony Sandbath.
Speaker 25: That's a lot to love.
Speaker 6: Come a surprise is so hot? We want it so bad?
Speaker 26: One O four Answer our prayer like our song, and we will do any day.
Speaker 6: God one O four please answer our prayer.
Speaker 5: Come on, give it up for Laura and I'll be any boy. Powerful stuff there three strong contenders. Okay, you're listening.
Speaker 1: To the Christian o'crls show podcast.
Speaker 5: Controversial. Okay, all right on this Grand Final spectacular.
Speaker 7: The thing is, are we judging these songs on performance and how good a singer they are, or are they judging on how much joy they brought into their joy?
Speaker 5: Joy? Joy? Yeah, joy? All right? Then if we go for joy and loss, Laura, I guess so, I mean, against insurmounts of odds, you somehow won a four thousand dollars but yes, Laura World.
Speaker 12: Law and Bill.
Speaker 7: Usually Laura, this would be the part where we play back your winning song, but do we really deserve a playing it?
Speaker 5: I stand by Laura. I stand by Laura. Amazing scenes, what a voice, what oh my gosh, well do you know what? Well done, Laura. You really made us and every one listening laugh. A lot of it was said Laura. It really made them laught. So Laura, thank you. You cheered us up this morning.
Speaker 23: Oh, thank you so much. I do apologize, No, no, no, you.
Speaker 5: Just won a four thousand dollars prize to apologize. No, it was it was very very very funny. Well done, mate, So thank you. Get what of that that TV you've got at the moment. It'll be installed for the weekend before the Grand Final, Laura for you and Bill.
Speaker 8: Awesome.
Speaker 23: And then we watched the Deans leave the Doggies.
Speaker 5: Yeah hopefully hopefully yep, fingers clashed. So Laura, well done. I'm going to play out your song one more time. You won the four thousand dollars home Entertainment System. Oh that's a Harvey Norman. Harvy Norman Footy Finals. Don't miss a minute of the action. Laura. Thank you very much. The show Melbourne the World. Thanks you. We're going to play your song now. So did Bill do those sort of harmonies? But whatever you did, was that been in the background.
Speaker 23: Yeah, yeah, he was too scared.
Speaker 5: The scene awesome, powerful, powerful stuff today, Laura, we're going to play it now. Enjoy the long weekend. Well done.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you guys and go dee God.
Speaker 25: Thank you having on them and we love you a lot.
Speaker 14: Watching Google TV Christian Steeds beat the dogs and with the Sony sandbar.
Speaker 25: That's a lot to love.
Speaker 6: This prize is so hot.
Speaker 25: We wanted so bad.
Speaker 26: Or answer our prayer like our song and we will do any day.
Speaker 6: God one O four, please answer our prayer.
Speaker 5: We did, baby, Well done, Laura Bell.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 5: This is this is something else. This annoyed me reading this. In a new survey of over one thousand millionaires, they're their own kind of millionaire servers that they do laughing, that's all. Seventy six percent say their biggest worry. This is one thousand millionaires. Seventy six percent. So the biggest worry is leaving too much money to their kids.
Speaker 7: Oh I think I would be one of that seventy six percent. Really, yeah, because you want them to work hard and make it for themselves.
Speaker 4: I don't want to just ride off daddy's coattails.
Speaker 5: Yeah millions, And this is a guy who's only found out this week is becoming a dad. Shout out to is your unborn child. Don't expect a single bean of the jack Post estate money from all those influencer posts.
Speaker 4: You will get nothing from me.
Speaker 5: One nice to meet you, and you son, you will have nothing in this life. I think I've done, I've done off Instagram millionaires express concern about having their children blowing the money on themselves and charitable causes. Come on, Oh, heaven't for been the very thought of charity? Oh to be in the one percent? All right? So today the time waste is rich movies. Rich movies. You say pretty in mink? Oh lovely these underpants they're all minky silper plus Warren war excuse me one more time, Firs, I'm lucky, Warren Buffett, the Vampire Slayer, Silver Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stock Portfolio. Bronze golf fiction. Do you know what they call a cheeseburger in frost? For to the reenactment of Gold Fiction Gold for the little pantomime. Thank you, Fairest Bearder's day offshore accounting. They won't find my money, gold, dude, where's my Cavia silper plus? And what is the rich version of that lovely Matten movie? We bought a zoo, We brought all the zoo's, We own them all.
Speaker 11: Gold, that's where the.
Speaker 5: Money is buying up. Imagine one person got hold of all those power unleash the apes. They say to us, I need to get out of but I think I've lost the plot. Guys, go to give him all. Yes, that's right, Yes, that's what we say.
Speaker 4: Rich movies broke back mentioned all they moved out.
Speaker 5: Of the tents and the lovely place together in bayside.
Speaker 4: You me and jet Ski.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because millionaires have jet skis, I guess. Oh oh yeah cost a bit, don't they. Yes, Bronze.
Speaker 7: Is it Big Mamma's house. No, that's Big Mumma's investment property.
Speaker 5: Oh no, that's God. That's smart.
Speaker 4: And the Lion, the Witch and the walk in Wardrobe.
Speaker 5: That's very good. Double Gold's there, well done.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 5: To the Work Time Wister, which today is Rich movies movie Rich al right, rich movies, Mercedes benz It like Beckham, very clever, Pete Christian Weekend at Bernie said they were so rich they could spend a whole week at Bernie's. He's got one of your long winded preambles there, Silver Weight on Sizzle, Bruce Wayne's World, Gold, don't know what and Sharpy Landlord of the Rings Gold that's smart? What on Stephen Eaton Musketeers, Silver plus, don't throw Mama from the train, buyo one, buy.
Speaker 4: A train whole.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I ain't got the money. Silver Portfolios of the Caribbean Bronze, Edward Diamond, Ring Hands Bronze Weekend at Branson's. Gold, that's the smartest one, wild Eye is that Johnny compound interest hidden bank account? No no Casha Blanca Silver Forrest Trump Gold you me and Andy Lee not a common man? All that cute money and the one hundreds in coats with a zoom. You know gold, I heard it first time? Are you ealing gold at me? Gold das bitcoin instead of dust boot Bronze? Yeah, tough luck, Candy. All right, So we are obviously going in for a long weekend, and then we are taking a break next week. No idea what we're going to be doing with the break? Uh probably ever, think about today showed a couple of things that didn't quite back to radio school for the three of us. I think, however, All I want to say is I hope it is a great Grand Final. It deserves to be. I do hope the d swim, but I hope it is a really great Grand Final. After everything we've been going through, we deserve a great game this weekend. It is a shame it's not the MCG. However, it is stood a Grand final. I'm in my my d's jumper. What is that? You don't even support them? Why would you do that? I asked you earlier. Will you be barracking for the D's you'll team the bombers on there? Why are you put it on the bulldogs of the help? Do someone buy that for you?
Speaker 22: No?
Speaker 4: I will be going for the d tomorrow.
Speaker 8: This.
Speaker 4: I don't own a d's jumper. I only own a dog's jumper.
Speaker 5: How come you've got that?
Speaker 7: I got swept up in the fairy Tale of the twenty sixteen season.
Speaker 5: You can't do that.
Speaker 12: Hey.
Speaker 4: Amak's Sports were having a sale on the morning.
Speaker 5: It's all too much for him.
Speaker 7: Fifty Doggies jumpers. So I rode my bike into the city to go and get one. They're all sold out by the time I got there, and so I went to Rebel Sport and paid full price.
Speaker 5: Is that only the second time it's been worn? This is the second time me D's fans Somewhere I can balance it all out. It's a thank you very much. Are your calls this week? Thank you very much. We had seventy brilliant calls. Thank you very much for tuning into the Grand Final. Spectacular Tacular, brand vital, spectacular Ish Gods go Doggies, enjoy the Grand Final. We will speak to you, which just over all week's time. Sinata Jack Sinner to Patsy Luck when you see me again. Will be winners of one godes give them hell.
Speaker 2: This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast