Speaker 1: Come on, everyone, we are what was the anxious? Hello?
Speaker 2: Oh everybody, I'm very nervous. I don't feel well, and all I'm doing is refreshing Google over and over and over to see what's happening with these results.
Speaker 1: In the US election.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Is there anyone in Australia right now who doesn't know what we're talking You might have.
Speaker 4: Been refreshing your high results.
Speaker 2: We don't know. I haven't a tested for those ages. I hope that my husband's faithful enough that I don't.
Speaker 1: Have to Guys, do you think he's going to win again? Trump? What do you think?
Speaker 4: It's hard to know at this point. I want to put it out to the universe.
Speaker 5: No, I want to say that Kamla's got it in the bag, but I don't even want to say it out loud.
Speaker 4: I think there's a high chance he.
Speaker 1: Had a strong start.
Speaker 6: Right now, all the all the western states are now being counted, so that she might get up there.
Speaker 1: We just don't know.
Speaker 2: Do they call it the blue wave? You were speaking about it before, Like all of her states will soon be counted, and that's kind of like when things might even out of it more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all the left leading states are on the West coast, like California and Nevada, blah blah blah. So yeah, and they're four out three hours behind New York, so they get counted three hours later, so it might still swing her way. However you stand on the election, it is stressful. We can distract you today, so my numbing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we do have pick up put down, and Mitch is going to bring all the most important news articles. And let me tell you, it won't be this because the things he brings are never as important as this.
Speaker 6: Hard to think that there's other news in the world that isn't the election. But there is a famous pygmy hippo that has been canceled overnight, and I need to tell you about it.
Speaker 4: I hate cancel culture.
Speaker 3: I can't go on without knowing.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you. And Trump is involved. Trump and a hippo. He in issues with a hippo. What I don't understand that. I'm stressed. It's a pickup. Welcome to the show. You want to smell good? Got a chemist ware house?
Speaker 6: I always said that spoil yourself to you love ones this Christmas with big.
Speaker 1: Brand fragrances at the lowest prices. You like Izymaki, britt don't you I do.
Speaker 4: I'm a big Zimki fan. Not personally.
Speaker 1: I don't know h but I love it's him and his past away is he isn't him?
Speaker 3: Is he him?
Speaker 4: I told you didn't know him?
Speaker 1: Right there?
Speaker 2: You can't.
Speaker 1: It's too pick up down all the big stories of the week that I bring to you, Brittla, Are you decide we pick it up we keep talking about it, or we put it down, we stop talking about it. Kind of in the middle of the US elections, I want.
Speaker 2: To say, are we only talking about the election? Are we going to stick clear entirely?
Speaker 1: You know what it's It's on every news channel around the world right now. This is an election free space as we speak.
Speaker 2: It's literally on in in the studio scary scary stuff.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, we're talking. This is scary to say. But news topics bigger than the election.
Speaker 2: I don't believe for one second. I know the type of topics that you bring to the segment, Mitch. They're questionable.
Speaker 1: Pick up, put down, MoU dang, the pygmy hippo getting canceled.
Speaker 4: Is food, don't canceled?
Speaker 3: Put it down?
Speaker 4: Is nothing safe?
Speaker 3: Put it down like Nola.
Speaker 2: He deserves to.
Speaker 1: Live, does she she?
Speaker 4: I'm really not going my pronouns today. Don't mix all my pronounce don't put it.
Speaker 3: Down, Moodang down.
Speaker 2: But I think surely, surely some people, or some things or some animals, she'd be free from cancelation.
Speaker 5: Is nothing safe here is what happened. She spems to be free from cages. But that's another mood.
Speaker 6: Well, she's got a very big enclosure, to be honest, she does quite well. She's famous, the small little pigmyhpow. She's always wet and run around with her mum in that zoo. She's virally famous. However, yesterday she was given two watermelons, one with Kamala Harris's face on it and one with Trump's face on it. She was then told Moodang pick the election who will win? And she ate the Trump watermelon?
Speaker 2: No, no, but she ate it, so she so then technically Kamala one because Kamala is still there, so she consumed Trump, she eliminated him, or.
Speaker 4: Maybe she's becoming one with Trump.
Speaker 2: I know, I think people just read this wrong. I think Mudang had it. The one that won is the one that still is surviving.
Speaker 5: Remember the famous octopus that you used to be able to pick every single game. People were paying it really big money, and it was an octopus and it was it was always picking, like he was going to win different games and stuff.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, don't you remember that?
Speaker 4: It's eight tentacles was like picking, which.
Speaker 3: Remember the start of the Sting Ray.
Speaker 2: They got pregnant with that, having a male mate, and Britt was really obsessed with it.
Speaker 1: I'm happy for that to be put to sleep. Well, what our day is it today?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Not our day? All right? I pick up? Put down.
Speaker 6: Taking your shoes off in the office.
Speaker 1: Pick it up.
Speaker 3: My shoes are off, pick it up.
Speaker 4: I'm here for it. Hip jewels off.
Speaker 2: I love it though, Like, yeah, I think you should be allowed to be shoeless in the office. I don't think that you can walk around shoeless. But if you're at your desk, take shoes off, live free.
Speaker 3: Let's wid you.
Speaker 1: Two just high five with the soles of your feet.
Speaker 4: I don't think you walk around with it like Laura.
Speaker 5: But every time I sit, I always take my shoes off and then my legs are up and I'll yeah, I'll never sit normally.
Speaker 6: It's a weird ozzy thing, isn't it you know where I think it's okay to have your shoes off.
Speaker 1: Is it a Coles or a Woolies that's near the beat? No, If it's you're like a kilometer.
Speaker 5: From the beach, go for god, no shopping centers, nothing, You always have to put you there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I disagree with you.
Speaker 2: I also just think that there's a there is a limit for everything when it comes to the beach, as in, like you can walk around without a shirt on and just your bikini top on, or like no shirt if you're a guy that as soon as you're one block from the beach put a shirt on, You're not to the beach anymore.
Speaker 3: There's rules the end, pick.
Speaker 1: Up, put down.
Speaker 6: Naming your baby and name you were planning on naming a future dog an anonymous couple of shit, Like, can you explain that you need the fact that they are they're pregnant with their third child and they're kind of added names and they said, well, we wanted to get a dog, but we felt pregnant first, and we have a great name planned for the dog, but we don't know if we're going to end up getting that dog now, So why don't we just give out baby that dog's name?
Speaker 3: What do we fine?
Speaker 2: I also think it's fine to name your kid after an animal that you love, heaps whatever, just don't tell the kid what you don't have to tell the child. Hey, we named you after Fido, Like you can just name the kid Fido. Also, like, my mum told me what I was named after, and I wish she never had. She named me Laura, or she thought she didn't. Actually she she named me Laura am Berne. But I was supposed to be Laura Ashley. And they were the sheets that I was conceived on. Yeah, but as that because my dad stopped, she got stopped and rightly so I know, thank god someone pulled her into line.
Speaker 1: If you were named kitchen tabletop teefo.
Speaker 4: I've had enough for this segment.
Speaker 5: Hey, we want to know next, how do you test for red flags on a first tape?
Speaker 4: Like what is your what is your first date? Question?
Speaker 5: Where you're like, I need to weed out if this is a goody or a baddie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're doing public service with this one.
Speaker 4: Basically God's work.
Speaker 5: After the break, I love talking about dating red flags. All the people in my past that have just been like truly horrific. The red flags I wish I saw at the time, but I wasn't educated enough to know about.
Speaker 3: But you had little blinkers on you thought they were party streamers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, Olivia Rodrigo has come out and she's she's helping educate the world on her red flag.
Speaker 4: When she goes on a date.
Speaker 5: What is the number one thing that she will ask someone that will turn her off them.
Speaker 4: Listen to what she had to say the.
Speaker 1: Vegas red vig.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is a very oddly specific.
Speaker 1: Question that I ask guys on first dates.
Speaker 3: I always ask them.
Speaker 5: If they think that they would want to go to space, and if they say yes.
Speaker 1: I don't date. I just think if you want to go to space, you're a little too full of yourself. I think it's just.
Speaker 4: Where that's so dull.
Speaker 2: Imagine being like a huge celebrity, a huge celebrity, and then saying I'm not going to date a guy who wants to go to space because like their ambitions are too high, they're a bit full of themselves.
Speaker 1: Now I'm with her, I completely agree.
Speaker 6: It just screams that you are your ego is so large that you think you a simple man, a very boring, probably mediocre looking man, thinks that you deserve to go to space. No, you deserve to work. You casual shifted Bunnings.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Why if it just screams that he has a sense of adventure.
Speaker 2: I would rather someone say that they want to go to out of space than write that they're adventurous on their dating.
Speaker 1: Productiles, can I let me give you a Let me give you a list of men that want to go to space, and you just tell me how hot you are under the collar, Laura, you think he's hot? No, I don't want to go to Bezos.
Speaker 6: Yeah, gorgeous William Shatner, his name has Shatner.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
Speaker 2: The question might be a dumb question, but I do think we could also do God's work here, because dating is hard, and you were in the trenches, and when you're on a first date sometimes you just want it to work so well and so much that you will overlook the things that could be obvious red flags. And I definitely think that there are questions that you can ask on a first date which would at least help you to sift through the absolute scum that is, you know, dating at the moment.
Speaker 4: I've got one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would very casually over my brusquetta say hey, what do you think of Andrew Tate? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 6: That's what I would say, very like straight to the point, like there's no subtle there, like what do you.
Speaker 1: Think of Trump?
Speaker 6: Who?
Speaker 4: Well, Olivia's asking, hey, do you want to go to space?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: My hot tip is if you're on a first date and you want to get to know whether the person is good or not, is ask them if they have like how do they what's their relationship like with their ex'es? Are they friends with any of their ex'es? Or they on amicable terms with their exes? Because if you're dating someone and they're like, oh, all my x'es are crazy, I'm like, actually, the common denominator in that it's probably you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I've got something to say about that, Laura. I'm going to reverse who know you? He will also or that other person will also be like, wow, she's crazy.
Speaker 4: First date and all she wants to talk about is my ex.
Speaker 5: You can't go in hot on a first date and ask about an ex.
Speaker 4: No one wants to talk about x's or hear about x's on a first.
Speaker 6: Give give us a call if you've got like a red flag question that you ask when you date. But mine is haws the relationship with your mom?
Speaker 1: Are you close with you?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: That always always tells you everything you need to know.
Speaker 2: You want them to be close, but you don't want them to be too close.
Speaker 1: Ashes called us high. What's your red flag question?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Mine is do you put the trolley away after shopping?
Speaker 1: That's good?
Speaker 4: That's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he tells me. How consider it they are of other people, the world around them.
Speaker 5: I'm going to add to that people that park in disabled spots. I detest that.
Speaker 6: That's disgusting. Yeah, you should never be doing that. But mums and bubs, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do that.
Speaker 5: Oh last one, what age did your mum stop making your lunch? Mit?
Speaker 4: Your mum still makes your lunch?
Speaker 2: A ship?
Speaker 1: No, she doesn't.
Speaker 3: When did she stop?
Speaker 1: She never stops? She never did. But she does make my dinners.
Speaker 3: And she does make your bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I actually would really like to go to the Stratisfy I knew it. I think it'd be really fun.
Speaker 3: Dad These days, guys.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, the coming up, I want to talk about something which I think is utterly fascinating.
Speaker 3: We're all obsessed with true crime, right.
Speaker 6: Oh, we literally the whole country.
Speaker 4: True crime guilty.
Speaker 2: But the real question is when we are watching true crime for entertainment, who should be making money off that is the person who who the story is about, or is it the producers.
Speaker 4: And the actors themselves?
Speaker 2: A big question, an ethical question, a conundrum, one might say. Next on the pickup, have you guys seen that new movie on Netflix which is called Woman of the Hour with Anna Kendrick in it?
Speaker 4: I have. I've also listened to the Real podcast on it.
Speaker 2: Oh, if you guys haven't seen it, it's a it's a movie, but it's based on a true story and it's about a serial killer.
Speaker 3: In the States.
Speaker 2: Now it's I mean, it's one of those movies that when you watch it, it just stays with you and then you're laying in bed at night thinking, oh God. But we were having a bit of a conversation around the ethics of true crime and how it's become such a hugely popular entertainment medium, and the reason for that is because when you think about it, there's so much money that's being made off the back of these real stories, like people's real trauma, people who have experienced horrific things, and then it's being repurposed and turned in to entertainment. So now Anna Kendrick, who's one of the lead stars in this movie, but she's also one of the directors of the movie as well, she came out recently, just on Monday, and she was talking about how she has made absolutely no money off the back of it because it felt really lucky to her to keep any of the profits, and she's donated all of it to the National Center for Victims of Crime. And I guess it kind of like really raises this question of like should people be profiting from other people's very real, lived trauma.
Speaker 5: It's hard because people want to see these films and people want these stories to be told.
Speaker 4: And I understand why.
Speaker 5: If you go and look at any podcast lists around the world, true crime is always number one. If you look at the number one Netflix hits and streaming hits, it's always like true crime based. People want to consume it, and ethics aren't black and white. But I think we need to find the happy medium of not purely profiting off somebody else's horrific story. But we also can't be doing what Anna has done this time, which is donate one hundred percent of the profits, because it takes a lot of people to make a film, like you're still employing peace people, But we need to find out what that happy medium is. I think there needs to be some consultation for the people involved and the victims involved or the victims families, and then there needs to be some remuneration for these people or these organizations.
Speaker 4: But I don't know what that's going.
Speaker 1: To look like.
Speaker 6: She did so I read into this, so she actually got consent obviously. In this movie, The Woman of the Hour, it's based around one woman in particular who's living in la wants to be an actress, and she's a real woman who escaped the hands of a serial killer.
Speaker 1: She exists.
Speaker 6: She asked if she could use her story in her name. She said yes, but she changed the spelling of her name.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But the thing is it's so fascinating about this is it's not just her story, Like the woman who actually brought him to justice was a different person. Like there was so many people who were affected, and I guess like, that's the big question, right is who owns the story? Who owns the story, and who should be profiting from that story? And we saw it with I mean, you guys might know Jeffrey Dahmer came out a couple of years ago. The Menendez Brothers is really big at the moment, monsters, and you know, you had these people who some of them have done horrific things, but the victims who have experienced it, I'm making no money from these stories. And I guess like as our appetite is growing for true crime, so is the amount of money that can be made. And I kind of think it's almost like a bit of Chicken before the egg situation where the legislation hasn't changed and there has to be some more rules that are brought in around who monetizes what stories.
Speaker 1: It's ethics, isn't it. I mean, that's about it.
Speaker 6: If you had something that was horrific that happened in your life, the loss of a loved one, right, let's just say it's murder, and then you had to relive that on a podcast, or you knew that people millions of people were watching or viewing it, would it would really drive you insane and stop crushing.
Speaker 2: Also knowing that sometimes these movies and these podcasts come out without the person being consulted.
Speaker 6: And they sensationalized too. Because they need to get views right, they sometimes ham it up. They add a bit of extra drama. They get Kim Kardashi in playing a role, you know, so that would be sold on the wound.
Speaker 4: Hollywoodized it.
Speaker 5: That's the term I think people using, like it's overly glamorized, but it's working, so no one is ever going to stop doing this.
Speaker 6: I think what Anna's doing is the right thing because then the argument is, well, it's also bringing expo, it's helping people realize what happens if they're in this situation. I know it's ridiculous, the serial killer, but you know, if you don't know, you don't know.
Speaker 2: Well. I think it sets a precedent for directors. I don't think it should be up to the actors to have to give up their entire salaries, but I do think that as a director or as the person who's putting together that production, that if you're making money off the back of somebody else's trauma, that there should be some sort of incentive or some sort of expectation that you're also giving back to the facilities and the programs that are helping to protect victims.
Speaker 5: But then you can't stop there and just say the actor is not up to the actors to do it. It's up to the director. The actor is also making money off telling that story.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe it's like a tax like if you're going to be in a Yeah, if you're going to be in a true crime story, then you get taxed on it and it goes back to the people.
Speaker 6: I think Lauria're onto something. There should be legislation that is, if you are using the true story of someone's life, they get a cut of profits, or they get they get a certain amount up.
Speaker 5: Front, a relative percentage of profits that's standardized across the board for anything true crime that goes back to the family, the victims, or an organization.
Speaker 6: I agree that hundred years it goes into the public domain like Mickey Mouse, and we can all talk about it. You know.
Speaker 2: I think it's fascinating anyway, guys, I gotta.
Speaker 6: Thanks for listening. Will and Woody are up next to drive you home. They're on Shark Tank tonight with their survey Eat Girls, their invention.
Speaker 4: What's a pretty brilliant idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does it just taste like whatever it is that you've wiped off your face?
Speaker 6: No, I think it's a neutral flavor, Serveyett that you just eat after you die.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 5: Think of how little waste.
Speaker 1: We've got then, Yeah, but think of the bockage and the bowels. Well, not if it's edible, Well they have to tell us all about it.
Speaker 3: I can't waste.
Speaker 6: Plus for all your live election updates obviously Carmela v. Trump or that's still a couble see tomorrow