Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by Quantas, the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantas is proud to be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. This is The Unplayable Podcast. Big Day of Ashes Cricket to kick off the new summer, and wow, what a way to bring it in. Nineteen wickets. We're here at First Stadium and there was no shortage of action. My name is Joshunafinger. Louie Cameron, you were sitting next to me all day and there was plenty of action to take in.
Speaker 2: So where do we begin rewriting? Furiously all day I think was the flavor of things. I think everyone's head spinning really like Ben Stokes took five wickets in thirty balls at the end of the day. That feels like maybe the third or fourth mostly interesting thing that happened today was mcgawaja was a really puzzling you know, had a really puzzling impact on the game by not being able to open the batting with Jake weather Ord. Australia had two debutants and that's probably not even in the in the podium of talking points, so I don't know where do you want to start, Josh.
Speaker 3: Well, let's run through the scores.
Speaker 1: Because England won the tossachos to bat, which is an unusual thing for them, though especially under Ben Stokes's tenure. They preferred the ball first, but England got one hundred and seventy two. They were all that after thirty three overs. Stark took your career best seven for fifty eight. He was outstanding with both the new ball and then cleaning up the tail, and Brenda Doggert got a couple of wickets in there as well. Then Australia had a chance to bat and things were tough because England turned up the heath. They had Archer and Would both buying. Both had deliveries over one fifty. Atkinson and Cass were in the high one forties, so there's no relenting from the English side of things, and Australia finished the day on nine for one hundred and twenty three, still forty nine runs behind and with a bit of a work to do.
Speaker 2: I think the big story of the day is England's bowling attack, and these guys were much vaunted coming into this years we heard a lot about how you bas ball is about you know, hitting sixes, scoring quickly, but also about bowling fast and McCullum and Stokes from a long way out, probably when Stokes took over his captain in twenty twenty two, this is what they wanted. They wanted guys, you know, four or five six guys who could bowl over one hundred and forty k an hour. They played four guys who bowled over one hundred and forty two of them hit one fifty. I mean, we were watching Mitchell Stark today and just the way he was able to hit, you know, constantly bit one forties and maintain his pace through it. We were sitting up there going, gee, this is how good is this from a thirty five year old guy. He's now taken his best test figures three times in his last eleven tests. So that as that was the first part of the day. But then you know, England had two guys who bowled much faster. There Archer, we haven't seen him since the twenty nineteen ashes.
Speaker 4: He was fantastic.
Speaker 2: He just bowled so beautifully and to watch him bowl was a privilege because he just ambles into decrease, beautiful action and it's just effortless, and he made the Australians look silly in some regards. Castpot really well, but Wood was the other one who really cranked it up. And not only did they decimate the Australians and have them nine down with you still thirty forty odd behind, but they roughed them up. Smith got hit on the point of the elbow twice, he got hit on the fingers. We had the medicos running in and out. Yeah, almost you know, every over. It seemed they sent a message to Australia. They made a real statement today, Yeah they did.
Speaker 1: Archer at one point had seven overs two for seven. He was not only was he accurate with his short balls, but when he pitched up the players were playing and missing as well. Australia i think after twenty overs had nineteen players and misses, so they were averaging one per over. That sort of shows how difficult batting was, and I think Trent Copland, also in Channel seven, did a really good analysis of Archer showing how he was firing in that short ball and really upsetting the footwork of the Aussie batters. Smith and Marnus, who have faced a lot of high quality bowling in their time, both really labored and their strike rates.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think you've got it there in front of you.
Speaker 1: But Manus was seven off about fifty balls and Smith not much better.
Speaker 2: It was a bizarre batting innings for Australia for starting with the second part of that's still back to France. Yeah, well, I mean that was probably the most interesting stuff. So we saw England come out and back the way England bat and Australia came out and battered the way Australia bat it. But after so weather it comes in somehow Archer swings Wong Band back down the line to the left hander, which I haven't really seen him do before. I'm not sure if I haven't been watching close enough, but he's always been for me. A guy goes away from left handed batters. That's how he normally gets the lefty as he has a fantastic record against them. But you know whether, I'm sure all his preparation was thinking about not edging that ball that goes away from him. The whole one spears back into his pads and face plants on the wicket like that. That really took him by surprise, but Marnas and Steve Smith were then able to rebuild for a little bit.
Speaker 4: They went scoring very quickly. I think that won.
Speaker 2: Fifteen after ten overs at ONMP there were yeah, but they were having to do this because it was mcquijor was off the field, so we I know that there was some back troubles for Kawajo. He had back stiffness through the day. He had a back spasm the second time he left the field and he was on and off the ground a bit. He's doing a lot of stretching apparently to overcome the spasm, and it really just screwed over Australia because they took England's last five wickets fell in the space of three overs I think it was, and Smith at one point was hurribly gesturing to Kuwada to get back on the ground.
Speaker 4: They couldn't get him.
Speaker 2: He did get back on at the fall of the eighth ticket, but they didn't get him on with enough time for them then him be able to open the batting. So all of a sudden you got weather or gone on debut, you got your best batter. Steve Smith coming to the crease in the first over the game, third ball of the game, third ball of the inning, sorry, which is probably the nightmare scenario really for Australia definitely.
Speaker 1: I think you even dug up a stat that Jake Weatherwold rarely faced the first ball in first class crecket for Tasmania, So to ask him to do that on Test debut against one of the quickest bowlers in the world, that's.
Speaker 3: A huge if you ask.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it must have been unsettling for him because he's He's spent a lot of time.
Speaker 2: You know, There's been some good banter between him and in Quadra about you know, Quadra not knowing whether it's name, and they probably had made some early decisions about who's going to face sales ball, what are we going to do calling between the wicket. All of a sudden he's walking out with Marnus Laboshane, who is even more unfamiliar with So that must have been unsettling, But I don't think any of that would have really made a difference to the to the.
Speaker 4: Ball he got.
Speaker 2: So those two, you know, Smith and Marnas don't advance a scoreboard and when they both go in pretty quick succession. I think that was the first collapse of three for three for the day for the innings.
Speaker 4: Remarkably, you know, it's all all hell breaks loose.
Speaker 2: Quadra can finally come out to bat at number four, broaden cast gets one to lift off a length. You know, that was a very very good ball and he did well to nicket and all of a sudden, the Australia's innings is going exactly the same way as England's. Only England scored a lot more boundaries kind of along the way, so you kind of go, I mean, when England were getting caught on the vents and you know we're kind of.
Speaker 4: Questioning, is this, you know, just reckless batting. In hindsight, it might have been good badding. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe Harry Brook read the conditions really well and he played some outrageous shots.
Speaker 3: He was coming down the wicket to Mitchell Stark.
Speaker 1: He was giving himself room outside leg and hitting over cover, yeah, and just doing some things that had everybody in the press box and probably in the crowd just baffled. But in hindsight he got fifty at almost the run of ball, and that's valuable runs because that's the difference between the two sides.
Speaker 3: And yeah, he was great to watch.
Speaker 2: The only part to that that doesn't work is the fact Ben Stokes won the toss and bad it this morning so last year. I mean, everyone's comparing rightly, comparing this first day to last season's first Test of the at at per Stadium, very similar. Seventeen wickets fell on that day. Australia won the toss, inserted, India bowled him out cheaply, and then Boomer took a bunch of wickets against Astralia at the end of the day as well.
Speaker 4: India ended up winning that Test.
Speaker 2: But the fact that you know, the curator has said that he didn't want this wicket to be his juicy on day one as what it was last year.
Speaker 4: I think it succeeded.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was a nineteen wicket Day one kind kind of pitch. Yeah, there was scene movement, but it did get easier as that ball softened. I mean the other factor here is the outfield was incredibly slow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really slow.
Speaker 2: So England's one seven two, maybe that's worth more like to twenty. They hit a lot of twos and threes. I'm not sure what's going on with the outfield, Like we can see over the I think that's the western side of the ground. A lot of the turf has kind of been dug up, and there was a Metallica concert here which might have affected things. We saw a couple of the Aussies trying to dive and just like their knees just didn't go anywhere on the surface. So I'd be surprised if we saw anyone diving for the rest of the Test.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting because Bradon car said at his pressure conference that he thought here a bit under par with this score, and some of the commentators were saying that as well. So it's funny that we get to this stage and there's been nineteen wickets on the first day in England, have a sizeable lead relatively and they're still saying, oh, we should have got more runs. So probably bats up your point that maybe the batting wasn't the best bit of pressure. Maybe getting to the batters and good plans as well, because Cars, you asked me about that wicked of Steve Smith and the press conference he went wider of the crease.
Speaker 3: He said, yes, that was a plan.
Speaker 1: Ben Stokes later in the Inning's got Cameron Green out with a plan as well. He was pointing to David Saca on the sideline saying that was the one outside off attempted him into that sneaking court behind. So England's plans came together. I'm sure Australia had similar plans that worked for them as well. With Mitchell Stark a lot of his wicket to a high quality at the top of the innings. So maybe we just have to give more credit to the bowlers and less on Ernest on the pitch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that was what Mitchell Stark was saying at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Look is that a bit of a cop out. I think both teams batted poorly today. I think England bowled much better. I really do you know, with the exception of Mitchell Stark was fantastic and he really carried the Australian attack. This could have been all out under an undred if comings the Stark were playing in this game. Scott Boland was uncharacteristically a full today. You've got driven a lot back down the ground. His rhythm didn't quite look there. Brenda Doggett started beautifully like he should have almost had a wicket first ball with a one that jagged back against Olipope, but then he was a little bit two sides of the wicked at times. I think he's got better stuff in him at the best level, and I think he's going to be a really good bowler.
Speaker 4: And you know, look, no one else really bold frustrated, but like.
Speaker 2: It's hard to overstay just how good and how electric England's fast bowlers were today.
Speaker 1: They were relentless, so no issues about their selection. Well, leaving at Shelby, she wasn't in a mistake.
Speaker 2: No, Well, like I'm fully prepared to admit, I thought at the toss when they named the team, and I think we all thought that were going to go five right arm quicks. I just thought the fact that they are all right arm made me think that. I thought at the outset, I thought that she should have played Overcas just because Stokes he's bong so well.
Speaker 4: I mean he came on and nibbled it around.
Speaker 2: He's an excellent bowler, took five for twenty three and absolutely no time.
Speaker 4: I kind of thought, well he's the fourth, right quick? Do you need a fifth?
Speaker 2: Do you need a fifth one in in cast when you've got Archer, Atkinson and Wood. Well turns out you do because maybe I underestimate him, but he was fantastic. He came on bold second change. But and he came on to bowl when Manus and Steve had just kind of overcome that initial thing and bowl just as good as stuff as as the opening bowlers.
Speaker 4: So fully prepared to admit I was wrong on that one.
Speaker 1: Maybe just a quick word on Ben Stokes and as we touched on five for twenty three, maybe got a little lucky with the wickets of Travis Head and even Mitchell Stark. They both chipped the ball a very short mid on because there was no one else on that leg side.
Speaker 3: But otherwise, I mean, he puts the ball in the right spot.
Speaker 1: And I think we both said in that preview podcast that he is probably still their best bowler at his best, and he showed it to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Archer is their best bowler. I think I think Woods a better bowler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think at their best, but maybe maybe consistency wise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean just when he comes on to like he just changes games all the time and he's just got another gear in him. Stokes, he's in a incredible cricketer. Yeah, you got lucky, But like I look at all the overs. You know, Bob thirty nine overs. How he drives in Australia, you get you know, Cameron Green got a couple off, he got one off Atkinson, you got another one later on at Carton Berville.
Speaker 4: For a few and star between the exactly right.
Speaker 2: Green Green looked amazing by the way, and it took some really good bowling from him from Stokes to get him out. But I just think back to the Australian innings. You know, Bowland gave him quite a lot of drives. You know, maybe Dog at the odd one as well. That was a real difference that you know, the England were unrelenting with their length.
Speaker 1: So on a day where nineteen wickets fell, first time that that's happened on the first day of an Australian Test match since nineteen fifty two. So Australia ashes Test that was kept in Australia. So that was Australia's West Indies in Sydney in fifty two. So yeah, seventy years in the making this day and who knows, I mean tomorrow could even be more crazy because we did say two days Tests a couple of years ago in pert in Bricebane, are we going to see a repeat here?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean the fact that I think this is a better pitch than last year. I still think that I'm interested, So like I could be completely wrong.
Speaker 4: I've already been wrong a.
Speaker 2: Few times today, as I'm sure all of us you know, suppose they're experts, but I think, you know, if it follows last year script it flattens out, becomes a better batting wicked and you know, we see some second innings runs, like you know, Australia are going to do well on.
Speaker 4: Line and dog It.
Speaker 2: That was a really big wicket of Kerry late in the day as well, thought he was doing pretty well and then a bit of a limp dismissal off Stokes. Australia's still fifty runs behind. That's, as we said, with the outfield, maybe that's worth seventy eighty runs that deficit, and it's hard to see how Line and dog It get a whole lot closer to England. So they're going to have to do their damage chasing in the final innings and you know, maybe that might be a good time to bat because they're probably gonna be batting tomorrow on day two or Day three, So you know, Day three wicket is often best on the bat, So we're just having to reframe everything we think about Test cricket because the way it's not just England with their bass ball stuff. I think every Test team is now rapidly reconsidering how they play cricket and when they need to press and attack and change their tactics, and they're much quicker to just go, well, we need to.
Speaker 4: Hit out or get out here because the conditions are against us. Whereas you know.
Speaker 2: Ten years time, ten years ago, you know, I don't think pitchers were doing as much and I don't think the tactics were as advanced as they are now. So we're going to we might be in for a fascinating but short actual series, Josh, if this is anything to go by, all right, before I finish, Lou, let's just finish with the two debutites for Australia, earning Baker Green number four seven two and four seven three. Brendan Dogget and Jake weather Old both have amazing stories and we've both covered them comprehensively on Cricket dot Com Dot at you this week, but great to see them get their caps out there in the middle of today and mixed results on day one. But you know Test cricket, it's a long match, so plenty of time to still influence it.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to duck in his first innings, Jake Weather or he'll will want to improve on but he gets another go.
Speaker 4: You definitely get another go, whether it's day two or day three. Yeah, nice moment.
Speaker 2: Dave Warner is a great choice as another you know, maybe outspoken, aggressive, left left handed opening better and then Brenda Dogget as well. He's got a you know, we spoke on the podcast earlier this week about his great story from being a carpenter when he was in his early twenties to now being a Test cricketer. Both were guys who were bit off the pathway, you know, they didn't come through the traditional kind of kind of route. Jake from Darwin, which is in a typical breeding ground for elite Australian cricketers, moved to South Australia and had to really work at it in his late teens early twenties to get a South Australia contract.
Speaker 4: And then had to move to Tasmania and he was out of the team.
Speaker 2: You know, forty eight twenty four, forty eight months ago, so you know, really great stories and probably worth acknowledging, given a hell of a lot has happened since they got their caps this morning definitely.
Speaker 1: Well that's our app on day one here at Perth Stadium. Spend the Unplayable Podcast, brought to you by Quantus. Tune in tomorrow where we recap Day two and hopefully not quite as many wickets