Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order KERNI Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast Millennials who Want Financial Freedom. My friends, this is an extra exciting episode because I am joined by our very first and a very special co host, and I have been so so excited to bring her on for you guys.
Speaker 2: Vivian two is.
Speaker 3: A Wall Street girlie who is now known as.
Speaker 2: Your rich BFF.
Speaker 3: Vivian learned the finance basics from her old work on Wall Street, but didn't like how finance content was dry, boring and targeted to old rich men relatable. She began creating her own content to create fun and easy to understand resources. Vivian is now get this, the CEO and founder of Your Rich BFF which no biggie but like You were named as Forbes thirty Under thirty in twenty twenty three, and also named in twenty twenty two as one of Forbes's Top Creators. If that wasn't enough to keep you busy, You've gone ahead and written a whole damn book, my friends. Your book reach AF the Winning Money Mindset that will Change Your Life, is hitting stores officially on the twenty sixth of December. I don't even think we need to do a whole podcast. I'm just like ridiculously impressed from that. But welcome to She's on the Money, my friends.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. That was such like a generous introduction. I feel like I'm just.
Speaker 3: So excited to share with my community. I just I know how much they love the content that you create, and I think that they're just going to be so excited when this drops that I just I genuinely am like, this is a sleigh.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to chat with them.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I want to know Vivian. I'm so excited, but tell me a little bit more about you and your story. Obviously you're rich, bff, what a great tagline.
Speaker 2: But who are you? What do you do?
Speaker 3: How do you do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I am very much a happy accident. I would say I was the only daughter to Chinese immigrant parents.
Speaker 3: They must be so proud.
Speaker 2: I didn't even tell them about your rich BFF until I was eight months in and starting to monetize, because I was like, they're not gonna be cool with this.
Speaker 3: Like, so there's a founder in Australia, Jane two. Do you know Jane? She yes, Oh my gosh, yes, she is a sligh as well. But she hid it from her parents. She used to pretend to go to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was working on her startup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you two two peas in a pot. You know.
Speaker 2: I just think there's like a little bit of like a cultural expectation that you do well in school, you become a lawyer, doctor, engineer. It's like kind of like a you pick one of the three and that's your life. But I was a big troublemaker growing up. I was a little bit of a chatterbox. Could never really fit into that square, but I was a really good student. I ended up going to the University of Chicago, very much known to be a feeder school for Wall Street. Got the internship, got the job, and I thought I'd made it. I was like, I was kind of just like, fuck it, we're here. But I thought I had made it. I was like, as long as I can stay at this job and do well, like, I'm gonna be rich, I'm going to have the life I wanted. Go me slave until I got there, and I was so lucky. My very first manager was a woman. She was the only other woman. She was the only other Asian person. And everybody else we worked with was like white guys, old white guys. Mediaora, middle aged white guys is what I liked. Yes, correct so much audacity. Hey, nobody is more confident. Where do they get it from? We say?
Speaker 3: They say my team all the time when we're like a little bit flat with like channel, you're in a mediorca, middle aged white man and if he would do it, you can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally exactly. And for the first year and a half it was great. I was learning so much. I was, you know, making more money than I'd ever made in my entire life and then came to the beginning of the end. The head of our desk actually got let go. And how it works generally on Wall Street is when the head of the desk gets let go, all of the people that they hired or they were close with, the new guy will at them too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, it's the same same on the Australian stock ites change like your desk is going, Your desk is going, and they want their own tame, right, They just want a clean house and they want all of the people that they trust to witch. In theory, you go, that makes sense, but in your shoes that would be terriblying terrible exactly.
Speaker 2: So this team that like hired me, nurtured me, liked me, treated me well. Suddenly fifty percent of the team was different and it's a bunch of new people that I'm like, damn, now I got to like earn my stripes. I've impressed people all over again. And my new head of the desk found out that I had a little bit more excel knowledge because I had spent a summer in commercial banking before going to trading. He was like, hey, like, do you want to come work for my bff? He's starting, he's going to be, you know, doing some really cool stuff, cool projects. I ended up going to work for this guy, leaving my manager, my mentor the only person who I was like, Mama, like take care of me.
Speaker 3: Your safety knit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was like a baby bird. I was like, just teach me everything, like feed me. And this new guy sucked. He was such a d bag and he would say things like you're too girly to work here or sorry, what right? As if like that's something that I could change about myself or is it even a negative? Is that an insult? Like girly? Like of course, I've been a woman in my entire life, Like, you know, this is how I identify, this is how I speak. You know, if I get my nails done, they're gonna click clack on the keyboard. There's nothing and about that makes me less qualified.
Speaker 3: But even like qualification aside, like I'm a confident person.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm here, right exactly. But it really came to a head when one day I came into the office and I was wearing a lock Hart again, and he looked at me and he touched his hands together and he bowed and he goes Ooh is that a kimono? Oh?
Speaker 3: See you later? Yeah, racist prick? Yeah, so I was are you joking?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Do you think that in that moment he knew what he was doing or he actually thought he was funny?
Speaker 2: I genuinely think he thought he was funny.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Like I have like secondhand embarrassment for him, like I would. Oh, I would have been sick in that moment.
Speaker 2: And I was like, you know that sensation where like your face just starts to get hot. That was me for good reason. And so I go and I tell my initial mentor I'm like, I'm quitting today. Good And she goes, don't be an idiot. You don't have another job lined up.
Speaker 3: I don't have a good one because I don't need this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she goes, you know you're gonna have a gap on your resume. It's gonna be hard to get a job. Just like whatever happened. We'll talk about it after work, but like, just tough it out today and we'll talk. And so I tell her what happens. She's like, okay, I'll help you look for something different. And I'm like, great, Okay, at least I have this woman on my side, like I can handle this. Yes, So I'm sitting it out, gritting my teeth through the rest of this job. But I end up interviewing with my first manager's best friend and lo and behold through an interview process, her best friend becomes my first manager at my second job. Oh my god. This stars have a lot. The stars really did a line and I ended up going to BuzzFeed and it was a huge, huge cool not.
Speaker 3: Cool, no, but like the idea that you got to work at BuzzFeed sound like you I'm from Australia, my friend like I am small fry, like I might have a big podcast, but like I have a small brain.
Speaker 2: Like everybody thought it was so cool, except it wasn't cool for the people that matter. Yeah, my cool. My parents were so disappointed. They were like, you know, you go to this type of school to get this type of job. We've spent so much money and now what are you gonna do. I'm gonna go like rate quizzes for a living and I'm like, that's not even the team that I'm working on. But okay, even if I was like, don't you want me to be happy? And I think that was a really painful experience because.
Speaker 3: You don't want to let the people around you down, but you also want to follow what you know. You've obviously had these beautiful experiences with these people, and you're like, I can see a future here.
Speaker 2: It might all know.
Speaker 3: Exactly what it is, but like I can see the opportunity, like, and I want you to see that for me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they didn't.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry that was the case. That honestly, that sucks. I want to be like, guys, come on, I know.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't until I want to say, I was like two years in at BuzzFeed when I started making way more money than I did. Ever, how do you like me now Wall Street? Suddenly my mom was like, Wow, this job's really wonderful. That you get to wear RiPP jeans to work, and like you work in nine to five and then like come home and like you have time to hang out with your fiance or like my now fiance at the time boyfriend.
Speaker 3: But like she was like, congrats, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: But I have this happy work life balance. And while I'm at BuzzFeed, I make all these new friends, right, I feel very lucky. I end up really loving a lot of my colleagues. We become friends outside of work and they're like, hey, you worked on Wall Street? What am I buying in my four winking? Which health insurance am my picking?
Speaker 3: That would have been my favorite conversation ever. It's like, is it not the most exciting when somebody who's like, you know, excited to be around you, excited to have these conversations and you know how much impact you can have and how much you can change their life by sharing that.
Speaker 2: Yes and no, Because I got so many questions. It was like a line forming at my dusk to the point where like I couldn't even get my day job done. So I was like, you know what, I'm going to put this on the internet, and you guys can refer to you know, video seven for this, video, four for this, video, ten for that, and.
Speaker 3: You're a queen and you did all of that for them.
Speaker 2: I did it for my friends. I did not make your rich BFF because I wanted to be an influencer or creator. I made this for my four idiot friends at work who wouldn't stop harassing me. And I was like, Haha, they'll love this. I love it so much.
Speaker 3: That's literally why I created cheese on the money. It's because my girlfriend's got sick of hearing me brag on about retirement saving zip brunch. And I was a financial advisor and I didn't have time for it. But I was also really bored being a financial advisor because making rich people richer was not my vibe. But that was like the area that I worked in, like the ultra high NetWorld space, Like yeah, as you can imagine, like it's just not sound sexy, it's really shiny, and I got to wear elite suits, but and great dinners, great dinners, great shoes, Like yeah, the bdms just want to take you out everywhere I was willing to go. But you don't really get a lot of I guess joy out of that. After yeah, you're like, oh, I may say I totally resonated.
Speaker 2: I made someone who had, you know, two hundred and fifty million dollars now they have five hundred million dollars. Ooh, like yeah, sick good one. Whereas when I put my very first video up, it ended up going viral for good reason, and by the end of the week, I had one hundred thousand followers, and I was like, oh, end of the week, you had a thousand following.
Speaker 3: I have been Slavy Go Way for a hundred thousand followers. I was like, oh shit, what do I do exactly what you did before? Because it works?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I just started creating content, content that I thought my friends would watch, content that I thought people needed, based off of a lot of the questions I was getting, and it's been history ever since. Are you really proud of yourself? I am. I think one thing that I'm working on this year is taking a second to smell the roses. When you're in this business, and I'm sure you probably feel this way a little bit too, it can feel like every opportunity is the last and you need to strike while the iron's hot and it's go, go, go, go go, because you only get five good years of this. But I'm trying to take a second to be like, you've already come so far. It's okay to take a beat and enjoy the success, and then you can always keep going tomorrow. But absolutely you can. You don't have to earn rest. And for a while I was like, I need to earn rest. I need to ID eight seven videos so I can take a break, or I need to film, you know, three YouTube, so I can take a break and now it's like I can take a break for a break's sake, exactly.
Speaker 3: And that's actually one of the reasons why when I'm interviewing someone or mating them for the first time and I genuinely think that they're really impressive or they've got a really great journey or story to share, I always ask like, are you proud of yourself? And I feel like it does catch people a little bit unaware, because you know you're saying, oh, your parents must be so proud. You're like, yeah, yeah, cool, go cool. But I'm like you, and I think it's that moment of reflection where you're like, actually, I'm really cool, Like I did this and I created this, and you know, you can create something and somebody could have you know, served those hundred thousand people to you on a platter, and you could have been like, that's way too overwhelming.
Speaker 2: I didn't do it.
Speaker 3: But you've grown it and you've nurtured it and you've like taken it with both hands and be like, no, this is me. This is how it's gonna work. And now you're a full blown author. Like I just get so excited talking to I guess other money people, but people I can also learn from. I want to know. You know, at the end of the day, you are teaching people how to money. How to money. It is a language that not of a lot of us are actually fluent in. How do we money? Vivian like, you know, I am, let's pretend in a nine to five job, and I might not have the grace of, you know, having a scalable job where you know, in your situation you pump out some more content, you might get some more revenue. Not everybody is there, what can we do to maximize our nine to five salary? And you know, how do we do that?
Speaker 2: So people ask me, how do I, you know, be smart with my money? How do I make good decisions? And I'm like, you should strip? And everyone's like, what did you just say?
Speaker 3: Are you going to pay me for that? Right?
Speaker 2: Because like, if you are, how do you We'll get some cash out of the ATM and we'll start throwing money.
Speaker 3: But striding pregnant, this is not going to be a good experience for either of us.
Speaker 2: But strip is actually an acronym, okay, And I think it's.
Speaker 3: A little bit disappointing. I'm hoping that this picks up from me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're so funny. STRIP is just an acronym, and I think it's like a cute little acronym that everyone can use to remember that this is what you should do if you have no idea where to start. So S stands for savings when you have a good job where your needs are met. I think one thing that a lot of us struggle with is that lifestyle inflation. We start making more money and we start spending more money, and then you're like, oh shit, why don't I have any money?
Speaker 3: I creep because exactly, it's really rude.
Speaker 2: It is incredibly rude. But for savings, the first thing I say everybody should do is set aside an emergency fund. And if you are a young singleton, you rent your house, you you know, are just taking care of yourself. Three to six months is totally fine. If you are a parent, you own a home, you got kids, like you know, you got a pet, you got kids, you got a car payment, you got all that stuff. I would say, try to get closer to six to twelve months.
Speaker 3: Okay, So pressure is on for me, precious on for me.
Speaker 2: I don't want us to feel like pressure. I wanted to feel like today you taking care of future you.
Speaker 3: And future you is going to be so grateful, right grateful. Like how many times do you do small things and you're like, damn, I'm so smart for already doing.
Speaker 2: It, even just like laying out your outfit for the next that is the example.
Speaker 3: Like how many times do you get up and you'll immediately like last night May was a genius.
Speaker 2: Genius.
Speaker 3: Now think about that when you're rich af Yeah, exactly, even better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you got to take care of future you. Then we go to T, which stands for total debt. I think this is true in the US, this is true in Australia, this is true pretty much all of the world these days. But like there's a debt crisis, and when it comes to having a lot of debt, the first thing people do is they look at the big number and they're like, oh shit, and they get so overwhelmed. They stick their head in the sand and they're like, I'll deal with this next weekend. And then next weekend comes and they're like I'll deal with this next weekend, and then it's next weekend, next weekend, next weekend, until you're six months down the line, and your debt has only compounded because you haven't made a plan to start paying it down, and.
Speaker 3: Now it's this paralysis is going to kill you.
Speaker 2: So with t total debt, I say use the avalanche method, rank your debt from highest to lowest interest rate, because if you make the minimum payment across everything, but then any additional funds towards the highest interest rate debt, you're gonna be able to pay that debt down as fast as humanly possible while also paying the least an interest. And who wants to pay interest? Literally nobody? Zero out of ten I do not.
Speaker 3: I don't know about you, but I've literally never met one person that goes, I got a credit card so I can start paying interest, like I.
Speaker 2: Want to pay more forbody. Nobody said that. Nobody says that, So pay it down that way and at least have a plan. I don't care if you're chipping away at this thing so slow. But if you don't have a plan and you're just running around like a chicken with its head cut off, like you're going to be in a worse position than if you have a slow and steady plan. Exactly.
Speaker 3: We say this in my community, all the time. But we always say from little things, big things grow, and that has really, I guess, compounded in our community. And it's like, you know, the rabbit in the turtle, Like the turtle's going to win because the rabbit he ran out of steam. And so I think that a lot of the time in our community, and I see it in yours as well. It's just like celebrating the small steps, because the small steps, when you look back, are actually the big steps, but at the time they don't feel that way, right, Like when you first hear in debt, you're like, I really don't want to have to do this, Like this makes no sense. It's five dollars. Why does it matter? Or it matters.
Speaker 2: When you run a marathon, you still have to take those first steps. You have to run that first mile to get to the second mile, to get to the third mile, to finally getting to twenty six point two miles. You don't just run the marathon starting from the back like a mile twenty six. No, a couple first steps are going to get you there.
Speaker 3: Love love all right, tell me about.
Speaker 2: Our stands for retirement. So speaking of today, you taking care of future? You very sexy. I am very much of the camp. But I want to be that crazy retiree drinking pina coladas on the beach.
Speaker 3: I Alrea, do you want to be that person?
Speaker 2: They Vivian, Oh, the same.
Speaker 3: I mean, so like we're not going to do the fire method where we're like just loading it all up. I think you and I are in the same pace.
Speaker 2: So I think retirement is really important because of two reasons. One, it's important to take care of you yourself because you can't work forever. There is going to be a point where your mind and your body start to decay. And I hate to say that, but it's life until we find some sort of everlasting fountain of youth. Nobody gets out of this life alone. Nobody. Nobody gets out of this life alive. And it's important to start considering things like, you know, in Australia you're super thinking about your four oh one k at your employer. If you're in the US thinking about a roth ira, if you you know, just don't get an employer sponsored plan. These are all different strategies that not only can you receive tax benefits.
Speaker 3: For which uh like, honestly sligh, everybody loves a tax benny. I want a million tax Why wouldn't I want to pay fewer taxes legally, I don't know exactly.
Speaker 2: But also again, you're taking care of you in the future, and there's nobody who's going to be better to you than you can be. So with the eye and strip, it's important to remember you can't just put the money in, you actually have to invest it. What I know, everybody, this is my analogy. Imagine you know, close r eyes. You drive to the grocery store. Okay, you got your purse slung over your shoulder. You walk into the grocery store, you take a good old lap, you leave, You get back in your car, and you go home. Then you open up your fridge and you're like, why didn't I have Why don't I have groceries? It's like you didn't buy any You literally just walked around the store.
Speaker 3: And I think when people open you have lists now because you spent money.
Speaker 2: On the gas, yes, exactly, and you put my ledge on that car. But it's important that when you are opening up these retirement accounts, you actually buy investments. And there are super easy ways to do this, whether that be investing in a target date retirement fund or just index funds that track the broader market, or even just getting a Roebo advisor to do it for you. Paying a small management fee is not the worst thing in the world if it means you can get started soon rather than later. The love and I also like to say that there's also a secret eye in there.
Speaker 3: There's a secret eye.
Speaker 2: There's a secret I must there's to eye. But there's a secret eye. The secret eye is income. You can only save as much as you earn, but you can always earn more money. And it is so critically important to not just talk about cutting out the latte, which, by the way, cheers cheers to the starbus. It's not enough just to cut back the lattes and the avocado toast. I'm sorry. I want to live a happy life. I want to enjoy myself. It's also important to make more money because do you know how easy it is to ask for a five thousand dollar raise? Super easy? A five thousand dollar raise is not unheard of at all.
Speaker 3: Oh no, but like you can only do that once. You can't do that all the time. You can do that well every year, oh one hundred percent, you can, But like you can go earn another five grand on top of that five thousand dollar rais and it's so much easier, Like, guys, it's twenty twenty three. Yeah, we're not living in the nineteen fifties. Like you can earn five grand and not even leave your house.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, But do you know how heart it is to cut out five thousand dollars worth to do that? Like you don't have Netflix anymore, You don't get to drink your coffee, you don't get to go out to brunch, you don't get to get your manny petties. Not like cutting five thousand dollars out of your budget is brutal. Getting an extra five thousand dollars of cash coming in the doors not that hard. It is hard for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: I reckon in both of our communities because we're women. And remember how like we don't have the audacity of media commitdle aged white men. And the stats way too that men they're going to put themselves forward for a raise or like a promotion when they don't even meet the criteria. But we seem to think we need to meet one hundred percent of the criteria. We don't do exactly the same thing. You don't like, ask yourself what would a medio commddle aged white men do? And then do that?
Speaker 2: Babe, Yeah, exactly do that and then pee. Everybody's favorite part of strip is plan. Everybody who's listening, just like, take a second. If you're driving, don't do this closure out.
Speaker 3: Maybe just think about doing this thing.
Speaker 2: Think about doing this later, but just close your eyes for a second and think about your happily ever after? What does that look like? Do you live in Naples, Florida or Naples, Italy? Do you own two homes? Or would you rather retire at thirty and live in an RV? There is no right answer. The right answer is the one that puts a smile on your face. Do you want to have, you know, an entire crew of Golden Retriever dogs? Do you want to have two kids? Do you want to have jobs? Do you want whatever you want?
Speaker 3: I want all of that that I want so much fun. Do you say I can have a FuMB of Golden Retriever is exactly but like, but we need to get rich to do that.
Speaker 2: And the peace stands for plan. You got to make a plan to hit your happily ever after and knowing what that Happily ever after looks like helps you back into a lot of those other numbers that you're going to need to hit to get there and get there as soon as possible. So I just think this fantasizing is so healthy. And I do this with my fiance all the time. And I say, don't you think it'll be amazing when we have so much money and we're able to take you know, your parents and my parents and your siblings and their kids on vacation. And his retort is always, ew, I don't want to take all of them on vacation with us. That doesn't sound fun at all.
Speaker 3: Okay, but we can send them on vacation while we go somewhere else completely separate, and we can pay for the lifestyle you deserve.
Speaker 2: But those conversations are one so fun to have with a significant other if you're just looking to have like a fun, little cheeky conversation like on a Thursday. Dan dates so many different lives, so many different lives. It's also really healthy to have with yourself because it gives you a visual of what you're working so hard for. And I think that's great.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's anything too big about that either. I think sometimes, especially as women, we end up with a cap and we're like, oh, that's probably a bit much. I'm a bit much, and it's it's not like.
Speaker 2: You're not too much. Find someone who needs less, No.
Speaker 3: You don't find someone to find someone who needs, someone who doesn't need, someone who doesn't need less exactly. Oh my gosh, I am obsessed with that. I saw it on something like that on TikTok the other day and they're like breaking up with their boyfriend. They're like, go find someone who wants less than go exactly. Like, I'm not mad about that. And I think that that.
Speaker 2: You're allowed to have high standards. You're allowed to want this happily ever after. You are allowed to want those things, and if you make a plan you can hit them. I agree. I love this strip.
Speaker 3: I thought you were going to disappoint me because you really started by tell really you were gonna throw money at me, and I was one thousand percent across it. And then we got a bit disappointed. You were like, it's not real strip, and I was like, okay, but this is a plan that makes so much sense. And the thing that I love about this plan is your energy throughout. This is so much like the from little things, big things grow, Like these are easy steps to take, Like we're doing some savings, we're doing you know, total debt, which can be really overwhelming. But if you pull your head out of the sand, like you're going to be in a better position. We're going to do retirement. Then we're going to do our you know, we're going to do our income.
Speaker 2: You don't do this all in once. You don't do this all in one weekend. You do this little by little, You chip away at it until you go from to st to you have the forward strip. Yeah strip, I love it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. All right, Well, obviously earning money, yeah, as we said before comes with managing money. And we said before, from little things, big things grow, and it's all about the small things. You were talking about lifestyle creep, which I'm so on board with. But what's the best way that we can make sure that we are managing money properly because obviously, if we can't manage tendallers, we're not going to be able to manage ten thousand. But how many times do you hear people saying I'll do it when I earn more Vivian, I'll do it when I you know amount of debt, I'll do it when I.
Speaker 2: How do we start, like? Why today? Because the best day to get good with money was yesterday and the second best day is today. And when we talk about getting rich and having money, we have to remember that it's not about timing the market. It's not about picking the perfect investment. It's not about suddenly having a million dollars fall from the sky because you won the lottery. It's about time, commitment, consistency, and time in the market beats timing the market. So time in tim E space I N beats timing T I M I N G.
Speaker 3: You've won the spelling base, Dude, I not a good spelling No, well, you've proven everybody wrong.
Speaker 2: It beats it every time. Because you don't need to be the smartest, fastest, strongest person. You need to be the person who has a plan, who starts as early as possible and just sits and waits. And that is how we get to the final goal. And I think it's really important to call out that investing and having this life is not only for smart people or people who come from generational wealth, or it's for everybody. And the reason why there's such a vast divide between people who have money and who don't is education. And I think it's a damn sure. I don't know if this is the case in Australia, but like in the US, we don't teach this stuff in school. Oh no, we don't teach it in school.
Speaker 3: It's why I'm a psycho when it comes to our content and why I just get so frustrated because yeah, and I'm sure you're exactly the same as me. The more you learn about it, the more you're just motivated to share it because you're like everybody deserves this, Like it makes no sense that we learn trigonometry and we're talking about algebra when my school and the schooling system in Australia it doesn't. So in Australia, you can start working it fourteen years and nine months. You can go get your fast okay, sligh, But they don't tell you that you need to be retirement saving. They don't tell you anything about how taxes work, but they do expect you to come and still do a you know, a whole thing on trigonomics. When am I going to use that in.
Speaker 2: The future, Like when have I ever used sign and co sign? Literally never?
Speaker 3: And I do you know what my favorite thing is? When I was at school, This is showing my age now and that I am most definitely in my thirties. They used to say you won't always have a calculator in your pocket. Literally I always have a calculator now, So like, talk to me about taxes. I love to say media committle aged white man, and I feel like you're resonating with that. So amazing, But historically I wish we could say that. You know, it's twenty twenty three. Vivian and I.
Speaker 2: We've invented investing. We are so smart.
Speaker 3: But I don't know if you've read my favorite book, The Richest Man in Babylon, And I say that's not my favorite only just giving me your book so it might overtake it, like rich Af coming to your stawny you. But my favorite book is The Richest Man in Babylon. It's the driest book ever. Like reading it, it is mind numbing.
Speaker 2: Mine donkeys instead of Coachala tickets. But you know what, it's exactly okay.
Speaker 3: It is my favorite book because it's like, no, this stuff has existed forever However, the medioca middle aged white men have gate kept that from us for a very long time. And I mean, you worked on Wall Street, so I feel like you, of anybody else in the entire world, is going to know how well those medioca middle aged white men like gatekeeping that content. But why do you think historically this content has been gate kept and it has been inaccessible for us? And I guess a little bit boring when I.
Speaker 2: Don't know about you.
Speaker 3: But the more and more I learn about wealth creation and getting rich, af the more excited I am about it. Why has it been boring? And why is it so important to change this moving forward?
Speaker 2: If I am super rich and I'm part of the status quo, what incentivizes me to make this easier for you. I still need a minimum wage worker to flip my burger, I need someone to pump my gas, and I need someone to come clean my house. I am not incentivized to make this easier for you. And I hate to sound like an absolutely tinfoil hat like conspiracy theorists.
Speaker 3: We're wearing Matchington foil.
Speaker 2: Maxington foil hats. But like, if you know this information and you're like, wow, this is amazing, I got rich using this information. I'm going to pass this information down to my son. I'm gonna take him to the country club. We're gonna go tea off, And as we're teeing off, I'm gonna explain to my son the rules of the world. Right because I'm a to quote another book, I'm a rich dad. Yes, and my rich son will know all of this information too.
Speaker 3: Of course, but not you're rich, tolda because that would be ridiculous.
Speaker 2: You know, because because my rich daughter doesn't have anything to work about, because she married she's rich. She's gonna marry a rich man. Because we grew up in the society and in the game, in the gated community, somebody else's rich son is going to take care of her, and so proof, foolproof plan. But it perpetuates and perpetuates, and then these same communities just literally recycle money throughout them because they know the secret. Somebody way way way up the family tree, so far up that you you don't even know what their name is. They managed to figure it out. Good for them, But that information has now been held in those family lines in those communities for so so long. And if you grow up to a single mother who is working hard to put food on the table, who is constantly stressed about making rent, who barely has any time to come to your soccer practice, if you can even afford the soccer program to come pick you up after school whatever. Her biggest concern is not taking you to the golf course. Oh absolutely, her biggest concern is feeding you and clothing you and taking care of you and being a good parent. And it's not necessarily like a shame on you for not teaching your kid that. It's like mom probably didn't know this information either.
Speaker 3: No, that's because it wasn't afforded to her because unfortunately she wasn't born into the right family. But do you know what frustrates me the most about that that mom worked harder than anybody else in that way. Her family didn't she, And she, like Li, truly sacrificed her entire life, her friends, her family, like the lifestyle goals she had for herself to put that in front of you. And I think that that's the most heartbreaking part about it, because if we can teach those moms, we can teach those kids that advice, they can start filtering it down to their families and their kids and motivate them in a way that they've never known how before.
Speaker 2: I've i mentioned this in the book that you know my BFFs, I've lovingly dubbed them the leftovers. So it's a lot of women, it's a lot of people of color, it's members of the LGBTQ community. It's people who grew up low income, people who are in any way part of a marginalized community, immigrants, what have you. And you know what happens when we give those communities more money.
Speaker 3: They get power, and then they get powerful and they can change their entire lives.
Speaker 2: But also they put that money back into those communities. It gets recycled into those community I want to know.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're the ones that we want to be BFFs with because they're the good eggs.
Speaker 2: These good eggs then filter that information, both money and information back into their communities and it helps to uplift entire neighborhoods, entire segments of the population. And when they do better, we all do better.
Speaker 3: Do you know what my favorite coid is and it is literally about that. It's a rising tide lifts bullships. And I say it so often that my team is so over me they're like, Victoria, give it up. We've heard it a million times. I'm like, and I will say it a million more, Yeah, because it's just it's so true. Put that in their pens of the people that need it the most, and they're going to be the most powerful with it because they want everybody else to rise. Put it in the hands of the medio and middle aged white men who want to gate keep it and they'll give it to their son on a golf course.
Speaker 2: It's not even like the necessarily just middle aged, mediocre white men, like they think about it to bring down one but like corporations right, like we talk about, oh, if we pass certain legislation so that corporations can save money, they're going to pass that savings on to the consumer, when in reality, have we ever seen that happen? Literally never, Like you know what corporations do. They had their margins, they make more money, and then they give their CEOs bigger bonuses.
Speaker 3: It breaks my heart. I was talking to my production team here at iHeart earlier today because obviously I'm from Australia and everything is so different like here in America, Like we tip like I have never done that before.
Speaker 2: All the prices.
Speaker 3: Include the you know, the service fee, the service charge plus tip, And I'm like, how do you then add taxes? Like I'm not good at this, Like I have never felt worse at money, Vivia, and it is the worst. But I learned about your minimum wages and I just.
Speaker 2: Was sure, shut up.
Speaker 3: I was so angry, like I was frustrated and disappointed, and I completely understand how that works in the culture of it all that like these people aren't even earning living wages to put food on their tables, and then they're seeing content that gets rolled out about investing and they're like, that's not for me. But then they see you and they're like, she is for me, Like she is my rich bff and she wants to lift me. And I just I get so excited about it because obviously, in internationally there are such differences in our economies and what my economy looks like versus yours. But at the end of the day, the money rules. And you know you were talking earlier about this concept of strip that's international, Like it doesn't matter where you live or what you do, they're the basics, and if you're given the foundations, you can actually thrive and I just I get so excited about it.
Speaker 2: And I also think that this fear, this stress, this just you know, concern around money. It spans countries, any sort of borders, and even languages. I think there are people in every single country who worry about money, and it's most people. Frankly, it's most people.
Speaker 3: And unrelatable problem to not worry about, right.
Speaker 2: I think a big part of addressing that concern and addressing how to make things better is talking about the actual amount we make, how much we spend, what we see, what we invest, and making it really trans parent for people. Because until people see the numbers, they're not going to get it. And we can do what we can. But I want everybody listening call your best friend, call them and have a money date. Talk about money, talk about what you make. Tell them that because when we talk about money, we make it less taboo. And when we all know what each other are earning, we all know what we're spending on rent, we all know how we can save and budget and use credit card points or do better, or buy a car for less and get more out of our lives. We do better in corporations do worse, and that's good. That is a very good outcome. All right, let's go to a really quick break.
Speaker 3: I love talking about this, but we are going to flip to my favorite topic and testing. So guys do not go anywhere, including you. Vivian. All right, Vivian way back, and I have loved out chat. Like, I am so upset that I haven't read your book already because it hasn't come out yet and I've literally just.
Speaker 2: Became just gifted her.
Speaker 3: I'm corrected for the limited distribution, so like I've got it on pre order. It's not because I was lazy and didn't read the book of the person I was interviewing, I promise, because usually I'm psycho about that. But in your book, you obviously talk a lot about investing, and as you said before, if you're not investing, it's like going to the grocery store and they're not taking home anything and wondering why your fridge is empty. So in your experience, what do you think the biggest barrier is that people face when they think about I guess taking that first leap into investing, because it can be so overwhelming.
Speaker 2: It's so overwhelming, it's so jargon heavy, and I think there's a little bit of a myth that only people who are rich can invest, because you hear people talk about like how your worth individuals, like the people you used to work with.
Speaker 3: Like they're just not my people, Vivian, Yeah, and they're not yours either.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: But you know what, people think that those are the only people who can invest. That's not true. That's how they became high networth individuals is by investing.
Speaker 3: Everyone started somewhere, correct.
Speaker 2: And what I like to say is investing is the only way that you, as a single human being, can have a two income household without anybody else. And why have one income when you can have two? Sligh Yep. We have to think about ourselves as humans, right, how many hours a day do you think you could feasibly work before you're like, I hate my life and I'm burned out.
Speaker 3: Me personally, Well, it depends what I'm working on, babe, Like four hours maybe four.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to go a little higher than that, But that's true.
Speaker 3: I'm joking. I'm joking. I am somebody who has burnt themselves. Yeah, Like as a financial advisor, like, I look back on it, and I used to have this perception that you had to be that get up at five am goalie, Like I would go to the gym before getting my bullet coffee and going to the office, like I wanted to be the first person in the office. And this is very like investing money finance world, like if you're there before, like your contract might say eight thirty am for a start, oh no, no, no, like if you're not there at seven, like what are you doing with your life?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And so I used to think that was an indicator of success. And I was doing like sixty seventy eighty hours a week like quite often because I thought that was what is expected of me. And it's not like it's gonna burn you out.
Speaker 2: That's unsustainable, it's super unsustainable. But if we think about how much the average human being con fusibly work a day, you end up with like a rough max of like sixteen hours. That's like when like my fiance was in the trenches of investment banking, living like the worst life possible. Many people work about eight hours.
Speaker 3: A day, which is very reasonable, very.
Speaker 2: Reasonable, But you really can't work more than that because you still need to sleep, you still need to eat, you still need to take a bathroom break, you need to shower occasionally and like live your life.
Speaker 3: Only occasionally, only occasionally occasionally good same page.
Speaker 2: Your money can work for you twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: Your money doesn't need a shower occasion.
Speaker 2: Your money does not need a shower Your money does not need a lunch break. They don't need a bathroom break, they don't need anything. They can work for you twenty four to seven as they should. As it should because you deserve it. And what's so amazing is that at the beginning of your career it's really important to work hard for your money. And as you start to earn that money, if you are able to be really mindful and start investing it, as time passes on, you will do less and less of working hard for your money and more and more of your money working hard for you.
Speaker 3: The magic of the very sexy compound interests correct, which makes me so excited, But like that's overwhelming, Like where do I start? If I am a gualie who you know, I'm listening to this and I'm like, you guys are so fun Like Vivian sounds like she's written the best book in the end, I would and I am a thousand percent going to go rate it. What do I need to do as the very first step? Do I need five dollars? Do I need fifty thousand dollars?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: I feel like there's this misconception if you don't have a minimum of like you know, a couple of thousand to start, why boda? Is that the truth?
Speaker 2: Not even a little bit? So we are not living in our parents' generation. Now you can start investing with literally a dollar because of something called fractional shares. This is so exciting, so much fun. Essentially, I like to say, think about this again. Back in the grocery store metaphor, what you need to do is pick a purse. Okay, just a bag. Some people want to take their whole foods tope bag, some people take their work purse. Some people just take a random plastic bag that they have.
Speaker 3: Just it's me, Yeah, that's me, random plastic bag. Let's go, how are we investing?
Speaker 2: Pick a bag, and this bag represents the type of account you're opening. Some of these accounts are cooler than others. Some of these bags are cooler than others. Maybe they have tax benefits for retirement. Maybe they're just a standard regular plastic bag, which is more of an individual brokerage account something like that. But it doesn't super matter. There are some bags that are better than others. But just use an account, pick an account.
Speaker 3: You just need a bag, and you just need need to make sure it doesn't have holes in it.
Speaker 2: Correct. Then what you do is you take your money and you put it in the bag. So you take cash out of a checking or savings account wherever you bank, and you put it into this special bag. Then you go to the store, the store being a brokerage. A brokerage is anywhere that you are able to purchase securities. These are a lot of the online platforms you probably are really familiar with. And once you get there, this is the part that everybody seems to faff. You can't just again walk around the grocery store and leave. You actually need to buy apples, tent don't. That was not an investment advice to buy apple. Do not just oh, put all your money into one center.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I thought you genuinely meant the fruit, and that was a good analogy of having really solid things that you meant to have in your fridge.
Speaker 2: But what I like to say is like you have to buy your fruits. You have to buy your veggies. You have to buy your grains or your carbs. You gotta get your meats, a little bit of cheese, a couple of beverages.
Speaker 3: We have some chocolate, and yeah, only after we've done the basics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit chocolate just in case, and maybe a one little tray of grocery store sushi because I'm disgusting.
Speaker 3: No, that's not disgusting. That is that is an elite form erect of dining.
Speaker 2: Correct, And that is equivalent to you purchasing investments. And again, like I mentioned, target day funds are great index funds that track broader intoices. You can utilize these through the form of ETFs, which are exchange traded funds. They're essentially like baskets of stocks or mutual funds, which are again more baskets of investments, but they're more typically managed by a human being city behind a desk, or again just pick a robo advisor. It's kind of like a what do you guys have in Australia.
Speaker 3: We have robo advisors in no, no, no, I'm.
Speaker 2: Trying to think what's the equivalent. So like we have like go puff here or like oh keep hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, we have like stock Spot and stuff like that, but we also have you were talking about fractional shares before, and this isn't something that we've been able to access for ages, because America is so ahead of us, and I'm so annoyed. But we have a platform called Shares's, which we champion in our community because you can buy fractional shares, so like, just like you were saying, you can invest for as little as a dollar. To us, that's quite new and it is so sexy and I'm so excited about it because it just brings so much more opportunity. Like some shares are hundreds of dollars per share or per stock, and you can buy a dollar worth of it if you still want exposure to that asset. And I just think it's so exciting when you can start. You become a big dog immediately you do.
Speaker 2: And it's think about like buying one grape out of a bushel of grapes or I guess whatever that might be all you need.
Speaker 3: I have no idea a bushel of grapes of yours, right, yeah, a cluster. We are good at money, not fruit fruits.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you can basically buy one chip out of the bag, one grape out of the bunch, one slice of turkey out of there.
Speaker 3: So it might be all you need.
Speaker 2: That might be all you need, but it's great to start with that. And so you can start with as little as a dollar. It's so easy and truly don't overthink it, like I feel like the longer you wait, the worse off you'll likely be. Whereas even just starting with a couple dollars, Like, what's losing three dollars to you? It's probably not a huge deal. Let's start with three dollars, see what happens, and once you get really really comfortable, move on now.
Speaker 3: Yes, one day and you're going to be rich. Yeah right, that's right, ah sligh. All right, let's take it a back a step. We're talking about the golf course and how all the little boys get to go to golf course and learn really early about money. We have in the shes on the Money community member, so many members who ask me about investing fear kids and what that looks like. What do you think the most effective way to invest for kids is and what that looks like in ways that we can I guess build wealth for families through investing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm not sure if there's necessarily an equivalent account in Australia. However, in the US you can open up something called a custodial roth i array, which is so wonderful. It essentially is the similar retirement account except for your kid, and before they become a legal age, you are able to start putting their earned income into these accounts. So say your kid mo'slams or babysits, or you are an influencer and have a wonderful podcast and your kid is in part of the marketing materials or some of the photos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like we're commercializing this baby.
Speaker 2: Yes, like the baby gone to work. This baby does not get to live in the house.
Speaker 1: Run.
Speaker 3: You are not gonna be nepo baby. I'm telling you that right now.
Speaker 2: Yea are going to know you're worth Yes. So if they have earned income, the parent can then help put that money into that account for that kid. That money can start growing right off of the bat, start immediately compounding. And what's so amazing is that you know, again, this custodial roth iray has a lot of the benefits that a normal roth IArray would have, meaning you can take any of the contributions out at any time, penalty free. You just can't withdraw the earnings. But that money can be used to help fund their future retirement or potentially a big house purchase down the line, or if they need money for anything else like that money can be utilized for a lot of things. And if you don't touch it, they're gonna be totally set and they're gonna be a millionaire, almost guaranteed if you're putting a couple hundred dollars in each month by the time they retire. And that is comfort and financial freedom that like, frankly I didn't have growing up, Like I did not have, you know, any sort of like trust fund set up or anything like that. But like, I'd love to do that for my kids.
Speaker 3: I'm still waiting for my parents to turn around one day and be like, Victoria, we have just been trying to teach you to be huh, we actually have a trust fund for you, but we wanted you to work it out on your own. They haven't done that yet. I'm in my thirties. Maybe it all happened in my forties.
Speaker 2: Actually, Uh, Victoria, we need to tell you a big secret of the family. You are the princess of Genovia.
Speaker 3: Yes see, I would be living my best life. The custodial roth Ira sadly isn't available in Australia, but we have something relatively similar called an investment bond that you can use for children in Australia. I would love it if there was an ability to open a sernuation fund for kids because in Australia the tax system honestly on kids. It makes sense because it's meant to stop the rich getting richer and distributing their income to their children. So kids actually in Australia have a tax rate of about sixty five percent. Oh wow, So they're like, oh, that's a bad idea. Obviously, if you're really rich, you're not going to choose to distribute income from your family trust to your children in that case, but it shoots people who are in our communities who want to start early get their kids ahead. So a investment bond could be something that might work for you. So have a look into that. Because obviously a customer of your roth Ira is very sexy. I love sexy. I'm very jealous, but I can't have one, so I love it. Let's wrap up investing because obviously in finance. We cover a lot of I would say burning topics. But what is one question that you wish people would ask you when they interview, Like you get to tell me what to ask you. What's the most powerful question I could ask you in this moment?
Speaker 2: Probably what money topics you need to talk about with a partner? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, by see tell me what money topics do I need to ask my partner about? What a good idea? I came up with it myself.
Speaker 2: I am very much of the camp that you need to be asking your partner about any death they have, about how much they have in savings, what they make every year, what they're happily ever after, looks like if they plan on helping support their parents, how many kids they want to have, where they want to live, what are their views on splitting expenses, what type of wedding they're looking forward to, basically everything. And that's the problem, right because I don't know if the divorce rate is as high as it is in the US. Yeah, it's like fifty percent here, And that's troublesome because sex and money rank as numbers one and two on topics as reasons why couples fight, and can you imagine if you were just able to never fight about money ever again, that would be the best thing in the entire world. You would be saving on so much heartache, so many fights, so many arguments. And the reason why people fight about money is because one secrets are revealed late in the game, or there's a disagreement about your fundamental views on what a dollar is worth. And these are conversations.
Speaker 3: You need to be having when you decide to marry them, before you.
Speaker 2: Decide to get the government involved. Please, And so it's so important to have these conversations right because I truly think who you choose as a partner is one of the most important decisions you will ever make in your entire lifetime, if not the most important.
Speaker 3: I could not agree more.
Speaker 2: Because if your partner is a sparkling baby angel, amazing, you are going to have like unfiltered support. You're gonna have a conscientious partner. You're gonna have someone who lifts you up, someone who supports you, someone who's great. But if you have like a demon hater at home, imagine having a hater at home.
Speaker 3: Like one out of ten, Like that does not sounds like a good time.
Speaker 2: No, like you are going home to try and have that be your safe space. And then you have someone who's like, I don't think you should take that job off, or that's not a good idea, or like I don't think you should start the side hustle that you want to do, or your passionate proudding like you're such a.
Speaker 3: Ready flag, like red flag, get out of my house.
Speaker 2: Yes, Like you want to have a partner who believes in you when you don't believe in you, and you want to have that person not necessarily be rich, but they better be financially stable, and they better have a plan. It's okay for them to have debt. It's okay for them to not have a ton of money, it's okay for them to not make a ton of money, But what's their plan to make enough money paid on that debt and have enough savings to do all the things they want to do in their life. Because if they don't have a plan, you're not going anywhere fast.
Speaker 3: And if your partner doesn't want to do that, maybe have a little bit of a think about it. But Vivian's partner, I can almost guarantee, is going to listen to this episode and be.
Speaker 2: Like that's me, guys.
Speaker 3: She yeah talking about me?
Speaker 2: Can I tell you? I talked about him on another podcast and I caught him listening to it and I was like, wait, are you like listening to this in secret? We were on vacation and I caught him listening to it with his headphones in, and I was like.
Speaker 3: I love him. He's your biggest family, He's my biggest thing.
Speaker 2: But I was like, were you checking to see if I said anything bad? And he was like, no, I don't think he would say anything bad because I don't do anything bad. And I was like, fair fah feah.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's like my husband who I am obsessed with, and he's exactly the same. And like way when it comes to money, like when we got together, I was in debt, Like we went through that journey together. It's not as though I, you know, came into this and was like, hey, money's really easy. It was hard, but the whole time we had these conversations and now it's so easy because we respect each other.
Speaker 2: My fiance and I can I say like, first off, we rarely fight because I feel like we have one brain that we share same.
Speaker 3: People are like, why don't you fight. I'm like, because I've never had an original thought.
Speaker 2: Literally, but we've never ever thought about money because we've made it such a priority to talk about it every single month, every single week, and frankly all the time, so that we're always on the same page. How much we want to spend on xyz for our wedding, how much do we want to be gifting our parents in laws whatever for the holidays, what do we want to be spending on vacations on It.
Speaker 3: Makes me so everything like that is so sex And.
Speaker 2: He's the one who pushed me to take your bff full time, Like this would not exist without this man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you don't have the biggest supporter at home, you're not going to be able to create the life that you deserve. Correct one out of ten. So the advice here from this podcast is by Vivian's book, And marry or intend to marry an investment banker is no, no, no. I mean that's what I'm getting from this because he seems really switched on and wants to talk about exactly you know.
Speaker 2: I think for me, dating someone in finance was really nice because I had crazy hours. I had to cancel last minute on dates sometimes.
Speaker 3: I got it and he was on your page. So that's why because we worked, I didn't make an investment banker because they're rich. I mean, that's another perk. But also I think.
Speaker 2: It's he understood what I was going through and so we had so much to you know, share. But I think just marrying and dating someone who values a dollar the same way you do, and values you and believes in you even more than you believe in yourself, I think that's the key.
Speaker 3: That's so beautiful. I feel like that's a really good place to leave it. So, Vivian, I want to know where can I find you? Where can I order your book? Where can I consume more of you? Because you are such joy Like I'm so excited to have met you. I just feel like our community is going to embrace this wholeheartedly.
Speaker 2: But like I need more.
Speaker 3: I need to have strip in literally written form, and I'm assuming it's in your book.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for sharing me with that. She's on the money community. You can purchase my book at richaf dot me. Yes, the url is a manifestation lay time Absan. We love it so rich af dot me for the book, order url and then you can find me across social media as your rich BFF. And I also have a podcast called net Worth and Chill.
Speaker 3: I love it. I am going to be listening to every single episode. I cannot wait to run into you again because we have so much to talk about, but you guys, unfortunately, that is all we have time for today. So Vivian, thank you for being so generous with yours.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: The ad by shared on She's on the Money is generally nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money SHERPA pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine