Speaker 1: I Heeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app. Got anything, gig.
Speaker 3: Hey, This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the weekend. Happy Friday, everybody, Good morning, Rio, Happy Friday, Morni, Alex Monie, Happy Friday, Patsy Monie.
Speaker 1: Now it's the team.
Speaker 2: Let's get thready into this week's edition.
Speaker 1: Of Double thumbs Up. This is where we go around the team.
Speaker 2: We talk about the shows that we're into, books, TV shows, apps, whatever. You might find your next favorite TV schoedule in the next twenty minutes. Patsy, what are you giving a double thumbs up too?
Speaker 4: I did want to pay homage to Diane Keaton, who we sadly lost this week, far too young at seventy nine. And I was thinking some of my favorite movies, and there's so many. I watched Father of the Bride last Saturday night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we watched it Monday night with the girls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but there was one because I said so, which was a two thousand and seven flicking, you know, just a romantic, sort of funny story of an overbearing mum with three grown up daughters and trying to get them set for life and essentially and this is something that I'm grappling with right now with Audrey. You have done so with your two girls, that whole thing of letting go as a parent. And so Diane's character she there's this beautiful monologue in one of the scenes where she says, you know, how do I let go and let essentially let you fly, Bertie Fly.
Speaker 5: It's just gorgeous.
Speaker 2: She could do incredible drama like movies, not the Godfather, than the comedies, romantic comedies. I've never seen Dane Keen in a bad movie. No, I don't think she made any bad movies. Now incredible ones. If you really are looking for something a movie to watch every weekend, you can't go past any of the light forty odd movies I think I saw at the other day. She made incredible range. All right, what else? Patsy gets your daughter?
Speaker 4: The other thing last night we watched I Like Me, which is the John Candy documentary.
Speaker 1: Oh I've seen this idea.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, is it joyous.
Speaker 1: That's what a funny, funny guy.
Speaker 4: Absolutely and what a talent. And it's directed by Colin Hanks, which is Tom.
Speaker 1: Hanks's son, gifty comedian himself.
Speaker 4: Awayane Reddold's as well, And it's really got a hues who of Hollywood has not paying homage to John Candy and just how realistic and authentic he was on the screen, and how he brought his total self to the screen and grappling with several things like imposter syndrome later in his career, also the loss of his father at just five, and how he brought that desire for connection and family to the screen. And you know, there's that scene in Planes, Trains and Automobiles with Steve Martin where Steve Martin has a go at him in the hotel room, you know, saying how useless he was, and he says, I like me.
Speaker 5: And it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's a really moving comedy. Planes Trains and Utobiles. I love Steve By and it's one of my comic heroes. But I'm telling you now, Planes Trains and Automobiles is John Candy's movie. Yes, it's not the same movie without John Candy. He provides all the heart in it as well, and proper old school screen presence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seemed like cool runnings.
Speaker 2: There should just be a twenty four hour movie channel that just shows John Candy movies. This relentlessly funny. It's one of those guys. Is built for comedy as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And that scene in the train station where Steve Martin cost and he's just sitting there and he's told him that he's on his way home to his wife, but of course his wife has died like eight years before.
Speaker 5: There is no wife.
Speaker 4: Steve Martin said, they actually when they went to final cut, they cut a heap out of it, and he said, I wish they hadn't because it was just the most extraordinary.
Speaker 2: You can see the foreman scene online. Oh oh my god, it's really missing. And watch this beautiful Yeah, it is great. All right, lovely stuff pants. We take a break. We'll come back here on Gold with double thumbs up and you can share our shoes as well. What are you enjoying at the moment? Text me oh four seven five three one oh four three.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell Show Every Friday. We got around the team first half hour the show. We call it double thumbs up the things that we're enjoying at the moment. Two TV shows for me. One's a big new show on Netflix called Boots. Set in the nineties, bully teenager joins his best friend. They decided to impulsively go and join the US Marines. It's about boot camp. It's about identity, coming of age, camaraderie. It is so joyous and really funny. I absolutely loving it. Cannot recommend it enough. Really really really great show as well. It's very very good set in the nineties. That's Boots on Netflix. And if you like a TV show that is grim, will.
Speaker 1: Break your heart. I've got the show for you.
Speaker 2: My wife refused to watch it and keep saying to me afterwards when I just come out, I'm quiet about five or tens. You've got to put yourself back together. It's the same writer and showrunn a guy called Brad Inglesby who did Mayor of East Town, Right.
Speaker 1: I wish it were a.
Speaker 2: Great couple of seasons of a really great crime drama. This is called Task. It's the best thing I've ever seen Mark Ruffalo do. Oh my god, this is blown me away. It's week by week and normally get quite irritated with that because these days with selfish, I.
Speaker 1: Want I watch it. Oh now.
Speaker 2: I want to watch it now, ain't myself time? Give it to me now? But it's on once a week. It's worth it. If you really do like TV shows that are layered and it's complex. It blurs the line completely between good and bad. It's basically the TV show Remember the movie Heat. Well, you've got cops and robbers, but they kind of a grudge and respect between each other.
Speaker 1: It's like a TV modern day version of that.
Speaker 2: Oh you would bloody love? Oh my god, I do. This show actually made me cry this week. It's a beautiful show, but it is not. If you're looking for a feel good show, stick to Boots. If you wanted a bit grim If the National made the TV detective show, they would make Tasks. I have loved it Rio.
Speaker 1: What's it for you? Mate? What do you can? Double thumbs up?
Speaker 6: If you do want something a bit lighter you just watched ask. I would highly recommend on Stand. It just came out on Sunday. It's called One More Shot. I actually saw it at the Melbourne Film Festival. It got a big standing ovation. It's awesome. It is an ausy comedy set at the turn of the millennium, so a y two k house party with a time traveling.
Speaker 5: Bottle of tequila. It is so much fun.
Speaker 6: It's very aussy, very ousy humor, but like really really well.
Speaker 1: Done, brilliant.
Speaker 5: It actually starts.
Speaker 1: I wanted to get behind this.
Speaker 5: It's really good.
Speaker 6: And do you remember we a few years ago we did Grouse the musical, which was we did our own Aussie version of Greece for grown ups. Yes, it was written by Fiona Harris, your friend and Mike.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's great. So got a show connection.
Speaker 6: It's so much fun, a great like a Sunday night watch, perfect like perfect to one one shot, one more shot, one more shot.
Speaker 1: And it's on Stan.
Speaker 5: It's on Stan. It's brilliant.
Speaker 3: Okay, the Christian O'Connell show podcast on.
Speaker 2: The show right now, we're doing double thumbs up. You tell us about the things you're into at the moment that you would recommend. It might be a TV show, book, whatever it is. Oh four seventy five three one O four three, Alex will short, double thumbs up, mate, what are you enjoying staying.
Speaker 7: With Diane Kayden who passed away in the week at age seventy nine. And I guess this is such a great film for her range the Godfather trilogy.
Speaker 1: She was in Godfather one.
Speaker 7: And two, and apparently the director Francis Ford Coppola, he saw her in Lovers and Other Strangers and cast her for the role of Kay Adams in The Godfather, which was Michael Corleoni's wife who was not in the mafia, had nothing to do with the mafia.
Speaker 1: At Kay.
Speaker 7: She's this white Anglo Saxon Protestant American and she provides that kind.
Speaker 1: Of that good that good versus evil.
Speaker 7: She always wants Michael Corleoni sort of to legitimize the business and tries to protect her children from that awful, awful crime family, I suppose, and she was family.
Speaker 5: Well, you know that's the.
Speaker 1: Lucy Goosey.
Speaker 2: It's not all at sea, far from it.
Speaker 1: That's not quite the American gene lads, and you know it come on.
Speaker 7: Anyways, she didn't want to be in Godfather too, but she read the script and let's do it.
Speaker 1: And yes, it was so so good in it. And massive respect to her.
Speaker 2: If you're a Godfather fan, right, I cannot recommend enough a book I read last year, Take the Canoi. It's about the making of the Godfather. Every chapter is a badly believable story, almost a story of the making of the Godfather is almost just as dramatic and entertaining as the actual movie itself. Highest dressing film ever made, Such a great movie, incredible.
Speaker 7: I've got one more off. Oh yeah, I'm just can I just talk about the croissants at BP. Like the croissants at BP I get. I often stop in there on my way into work. Triple thumbs up for these things. Triple they are. They're so good, they cost only cost four dollars. There's so crisp loan. What's loon learn shmoon? I say, compared to.
Speaker 1: These Chris.
Speaker 7: Smooth, they are out of the box, these things. I highly recommend them. Croissanted BP getting you'll love it. Love and they really are they really buttery.
Speaker 1: They're so buttery.
Speaker 2: They're so crunchy cross right now in trouble is very messy.
Speaker 1: Aren't they?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: Very hard to eat with any dignity.
Speaker 2: You're a mess after brushing for the next hour.
Speaker 6: Maybe we should get a French person to try the bpequas on and get a real French review to see if this up to stand it.
Speaker 1: I'm not remotely interested in doing that.
Speaker 7: Put them out of blindfold and we'll give them like different croissants.
Speaker 2: And is matched to get get out of the whole One year Old Lady Interview this week, all right, don't put my head back on the chopping block. Okay, with a croissant review from Claws. It's Friday, guys, the shows off the tracks. I'll tell you what. I've got no time for that bloody Corleone family Up to again Shenanigans.
Speaker 3: The Christian O'Connell Show Podcast