Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: I just did a massive breath out and you went, what's she doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Gearing up? How is your breathing? Yeah, it's getting better. That's good.
Speaker 3: I had a bit of a long covid vibe. Is that ski, No, life's too short to worry about that. Worry about what having long covid?
Speaker 2: Okay, I get you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, today we're gonna be talking about Karen esque behavior. Don't make me say the tenth time, but I'm a Karen.
Speaker 2: Nobody's made you disclose. This fully came from you out of nowhere. There is a bit of a rumor starting in the comments that somehow I was one who called you a Karen and therefore yourself identifying this did not come from me. I know it sounds like it would have.
Speaker 3: I didn't you talking about comments all the time. I haven't seen these comments.
Speaker 2: You gotta go on our TikTok and our my TikTok and my reels because people are always doing discourse there. TikTok is long taking them taking stuff too seriously.
Speaker 3: I come to I'm like, gosh, oh yeah, I posted the other day that clip of me laughing about the aliens and I got all these comments with Denise hit this ain't it? I really usually like your content. I'm like, do you really, because if you did, you would know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Denise Stoner, for those of you who didn't see it a couple of weeks ago, now through me, was trying to disprove the disproved that aliens exist, and so naturally she brought in some evidence, which is really awesome. I was open to hearing it. It's good to maintain an open mind. It was a first person recount of Denise Stoner's encounter with what she says were aliens, but she was also two years old when it happened. But basically the one and a half minute clip consisted of about fifty five seconds of Rooms laughing and about twenty eight seconds of me looking confused. And the comments on Frooms's page were, you know, usually I like your content, but it's really mean to be laughing about about people's beliefs like this is really offensive. Good on flex taking it on the gym? Were need alien discrimination acts? Yeah? For real? I don't know how we got to that point, but anyway, we're going to be discussing thummy's self, dignifying self diagnosed Karen behavior, which I want to get into in more detail because being a twenty seven year old Karen's pretty rare.
Speaker 3: You know what it's because I'm starting it, so the evolution. By the time I am of Karen age, I'm sick of being a Karen on.
Speaker 2: Your phase back out nice.
Speaker 3: Life is a cycle, and it's a circle. And stick around because.
Speaker 2: Here we go. Life is a cycle, and it's a circle. That's really lovely.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 2: It's been a minute since I've asked you a moral dilemma, because usually it's incriminating you for my every time and trying to figure out the middle grounds. And I don't want that to be the case. So I'm coming to you with a light one because I'm actually intrigued to see what you would do. So the question is, what will you do in the first twenty four hours of winning fifty million dollars? It's in your account, it's there ready for you to spend. You've woken up, it's nine am on the dot. What are you doing? Okay?
Speaker 3: I am going to McDonald's because McDonald's is my death row meal. So it's also kind of like the meal when I celebrate things when it's my birthday.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that, humble queen.
Speaker 3: So go to McDonald's, get anything that I want. Probably, I still want to live within my means because I know the more money you have, the easier it is to dispense it through different There's fifty million.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't tack me every day, every meal and not even make a dent in it.
Speaker 3: I've probably gone to real estate dot com and like, have a look at what I could buy, start planning. I go visit my parents, maybe take them out for a beautiful dinner, go for a go to a car out of my dad, give him a car, that kind of fun stuff. Make said of my parents, you never have to work again from this day forward. Drop it on a few quotables that way, an't that?
Speaker 2: Do you do? I will? The tricky thing is I had seen a TikTok that ID posed this question and somebody responding to it. So I think it skewed my idea of what I would or wouldn't do. But I can tell you what is best practice. So immediately you should be going to see a lawyer. Oh yeah, to safeguard you, to make sure that you're protected with this extra income and wealth. Apparently it's actually quite dangerous to have it be known that you've won any kind of money that's like, you know, a lumpsum. So you should go to a lawyer allegedly. Then from there that lawyer should put you in touch with a financial planner of some sort and then almost like protect you from your wealth in some senses. So give yourself an allowance, maybe get a million dollars a year. Maybe you're allowed to make a few key purchases and the rest gets put away. Not what it might be, but I feel like after you do that first big batch of spending, like you get the iPad, you know, no Apple iPad, You get the McLaren, you get the Lambeau, you buy a house, Maybe you invest in a few businesses, become a little angel.
Speaker 3: Investor great time to be investing. Stock market half crash? Yes, great time. You might go through ten mil and be like not what to do? Great stop, and then from there play it cool.
Speaker 2: You got to do that Zuckerberg thing where you just wear the same T shirt and jeans every day so everyone thinks you're a simple person, but realistically the T shirt is five hundred dollars and the jeans are a thousand dollars and you're a robot? What car would you get? A hummer? What? You don't like that? This is giving or you don't like me? This just reminds me. We were talking earlier outside the studio about the era where you had a cube. Yeah, what's like it's the ugliest scar on. Honest, if they did luxury cubes, I would go back. I'm a push to start heated seat, ceramic coating, panoramic summary of tapping girl. We do love a panoramic sun ray. We love a cube, suits me. Why don't you say that anyway? So that's I think. How happy when you let go of the cube. I thought you were going to come rolling in in one of those Chrislers. I would. The point is, I think that for all the talk we do, for all the conversations we have about being millionaires, we're not setting ourselves up for success. The first thing to do when you win fifty mil isn't going to a fast food vendor. I'm giving out Kasha Bondo beachmackers. Yeah, okay, good to know.
Speaker 3: Because we are manifesting more money this, it's probably good to know what happens when we get it.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: I talk a lot about my Karen like tendencies. I would say my natural form absolutely a Karen. Surprised my name wasn't Karen. My middle name Lucinda Karen Price.
Speaker 2: You kind of do have a Karen vibe about you, but I don't think that the average person interacting with you would even feel like you have any semblance of Karen in you, because you do, like have. I would say your disposition, your general vibe is agreeable, charming, polite, all the good things.
Speaker 3: They're always the ones hiding something.
Speaker 2: Because I'm the opposent. You're Karen presenting, Karen presenting. I'm not about that lie.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm very surprised when you do extreme acts of kindness, which shouldn't surprise me. You're very like generous with money literally stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Maryone's like she's a gremlin, goblin hater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and sometimes I'm nice anyway, So I'm trying to reign in my Karen. You say, as you gain a bit more of a profile, you need to be careful with how you act in public.
Speaker 2: Only when you gain a profile, for the rest of you who don't have aspirations to be a public figure. Don't worry about your attitude irrelevant. I was on a plane and I was sitting in the middle seat, and as everybody who flies knows, if you're in the middle seat, you get both the armrests. We have had a discussion about this before. I firmly believe that if you're flying budget, you don't have any say on who gets armrests, when and wear. It's this gentle dance you play with your seat companions. That's very elitist. It's very elitist.
Speaker 3: It's not I had my Kurren moment this weekend. I was at a cafe with my mother, and my arm and cappuccino came out.
Speaker 2: Asked for extra chocolate, No extra chocolate. I don't know what an arm and cappuccino is. Cappuccino is like, usually come with chocolate. Yes, it comes with a light dusting of chocolate. I said, I would like an almond cappuccino with extra chocolate, which is very.
Speaker 3: To ask for as a twenty seven year old Karen, but I did it. Anyway, comes out no extra chocolate.
Speaker 2: That's fine. I can live with that.
Speaker 3: However, upon inspecting the rim, I noticed there is something black, curly.
Speaker 2: And of a pube variety.
Speaker 3: There was a pube dangling off my coffee as if hair.
Speaker 2: No, this was giving pube.
Speaker 3: I know, saxture sick okay, with the perfect amount of curl girth.
Speaker 2: Oh, I took it too far hair girl for girthy pube.
Speaker 3: And I did consider not being a karenathone, just like take it off. But my mother actually brought out her Karen and said.
Speaker 2: The original Karen. Two generations in Karen will come together, tag team. So I brought it over and got into context. You have said your mum Heather is a gentle kind woman, but you said those are the ones to watch out. She Karen's.
Speaker 3: She Karen's at the correct time, so FLEXI as a self confessed Karen. I'm basically saying that so that in the future, when I do something Karen esque, whether it's purposefully or by accident, no one can turn around and say, hey, that through me. She acts all nice online, but really she's a Karen. I'm putting it out in the universe.
Speaker 2: So it's a quickly double check. Do you think when people are perceiving you to be nice, kind, gentle bit of a hapless damsel. Do you think they're just reading you a bit wrong and then holding you to their perception of you? No, I am how I present.
Speaker 3: However, I'm concerned about when I'm concerned about being misconstrued and like misunderstood, and I believe people are always going to misunderstand you. So I'm quite I know what I want, and when I'm out in public, I'm walking with purpose. I'm asking for things that I'm entitled to. Whether in Titlanent's probably a whole nother conversation. But you know, I'm not like a wallflower. I'm not going to bend to things.
Speaker 2: So if we were to quiz your audience right now on Instagram and ask them, is it clear to them that you are and have always been a Karen? The majority would say.
Speaker 3: Yes, they can't be trusted. Whatever I say, they're going to the contrary. I can never get a clear answer.
Speaker 2: Nobody knows. Nobody knows if it's a joke. Everybody thinks it's a joke. Ah, You're like the The Boy who Cried Wolf, but the comedy version facts. Everyone thinks it's a bit when in fact you're being really serious.
Speaker 3: It's like when comedians I know put up something really earnest, and I'm like, are you taking the pits out of this thing?
Speaker 2: Your people to really vote? Like do you want people to recycle? Kind of weird, But I was actually googling what Karen means. We all know what I was doing that too, or really, that's really awesome. I like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I went on the Wikipedia to you in the Wikimediaay.
Speaker 2: I've got it right, We're in sync.
Speaker 3: It's got the haircut in the Wikipedia, it's got how to pronounce Karen phonetically. But what I thought was really interesting is the origins of Karen.
Speaker 2: This is a bit that stood out to me.
Speaker 3: In African American culture, there is a history of calling difficult white women or those who weaponize their position by a generic prerogative nameative.
Speaker 2: What pejorative? Pejorative? What does that mean? We're not prerogative thinking of derogatory.
Speaker 3: In the Antebellum era, which was an actual era eighteen fifteen to eighteen sixty one, miss ann was used. In the early nineteen nineties, Becky was used, and as of twenty eighteen, the use of Karen caught on. Alternate names matching particular instance were used, such as barbecue, Becky, cornerstone, Caroline, and permit Patty. Karen is the stereotype to an older soccomum, which makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anything else you wanted to add to that? Na, thank you for sharing. The thing about karening is I think I'm a lot more aware of optics than you are, because I'm always judged far more harshly, just naturally. But also I think it's really interesting because I don't Karen in the way that you Karen. In public spaces, I definitely have to rain in my entitlement because in my head it's off the charts and like it should be done all my time, blah blah blah, bah blah blah. And we all see my external struggle with that. I'm like, got about my tongue, but I don't want it.
Speaker 3: But I got it, but I don't want to do you because we always have this conversation. You say that I should be able to say what I think online, but you're saying that you don't.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not talking about online, I'm talking but I was saying that we carry in a different ways. See online, I feel quite comfortable to do what I want and say what I want, because I have actually built an ecosystem where that is where my internal understanding of the world takes precedent over the world. Right. But as soon as I get into shared spaces, I am mindful of not wanting to take up space in spite of people, even if I feel entitled to it, which is why I feel some kind of way about, for example, the middle seat thing, because that just reminds me of like stereotypically entitled people who would do that, and then I'd be on the receiving end of it, like some random old man in the middle seat being like those are my seats, Like, well, it's none of our seats. Like we've all paid to be on this flight. We can do a polite dance between each other and decide who gets to have those armorus, but it's not yours. Similarly, if I'm in a restaurant or whatever and I'm like something's gone wrong, I'm like, I'm not gonna Karen, but I'm not here doing volunteer work. If I paid for something, I'm gonna want to get it. I think the difference between being a Karen and being confrontational is that confrontational is just generally uncomfortable for people. But karening is making other people responsible for your individual comforts. Yes, and it's like the two. Sometimes there's a correlation, but often it's like that's not my business, Like if you want the middle seat, if you don't, if you feel like Uber shouldn't talk to you or they should, these are all like your internal expectations that have now like left your internal like ecosystem, and now you're allowing others or expecting others to get on board, which I think is nice if you're in like an environment with context and the base side is like i'll do something for me, you do something, do use something for you, le Blin. But generally I'm like, it's too much.
Speaker 3: Your example with the old guy in the middle seat, isn't it hard then to rain in your inner car? And when it's like you've experienced that so many times from that type of person, like it's very hard to not see them in a stereotypical way, especially if they're seeing you in a stereotypical way. For example, I'm sitting in the middle seat and there's two old guys next to me, business men. We're on Quantis, which no shade quantas, but it's very much that clientele.
Speaker 2: Yeah, corporate baddies.
Speaker 3: Corporate baddies, corporate daddy's nice kind of like granddaddy's. Anyway, they're both taking my arm rests like I.
Speaker 2: Know that the language, they're taking my eyes. I think that like in the eye of the Karen and this goes. This reminds me the fact that everybody is like while the Internet was getting upset at white men, like it was like white women that voted for Trump. This is the thing, Karens don't realize that when you're Karening, you are the bad guy. Karen's always feel like victims when they're doing bad guy things. Yes, I agree, that's me and that is the issue with Karening as a whole. It's like they're looking outwards and being like, no one could ever see me as somebody who is in the wrong here, because at least I'm not that guy. It's like, no, you are that guy, just like in a different haircut, but like same same people, both short, short in the back shot back inside. That's a great point, FLEXI We'll get reckoning because I feel like there's something to say about being a twenty seven year old Karen that we haven't gotten to the crux of because you're not alone. People feel really it felt really empowered when you said you were a Karen.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, yeah, I like when people are honest. It's hard to say that you're a Karen, especially in this context.
Speaker 2: You know this is the real discrimination. Thank you.
Speaker 3: He's waiting for somebody to say it. Flex, So glad you're standing up for my people. Until next time. Oh, every week, I'll try and bring you a little part of Karen that I'm trying to I'm trying to like dissemble it so we can.
Speaker 2: Write a proper character profile, one that's like not one that makes sense for now twenty twenty two. Love it.
Speaker 1: This is Flex and Frooms on kDa.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you something? Did you know that we can't drink sea water? Why? Oh? Can I guess? Yeah, because there's pooh in it. No, that's not it. And I don't know if this is common knowledge. But for all the talk I do with the apocalypse, I honestly thought going down to the beach and speaking up on water would have been a viable thing to do. It's not. We can't drink sea water because human kidneys can only make pea that is less salty than salt water. Therefore, to get rid of all the excess salt taken into you when you drink sea water, you have to urinate more water than you drink, which is not possible. So eventually you die of dehydration as you become more thirsty. Huh right, And finally I understand because you know, I love Vikings the TV series. I don't know. Yeah, So every time they got their going little boat expeditions to like pillage and do wars, I was like, why you always so thirsty? You're literally in the water for months. Turns out not drinkable.
Speaker 3: I wonder because they obviously purify water. Do we get water from the ocean ever to drink? That's yeah, springing water. But also I'm sure you can purify water. That's what they do in countries that.
Speaker 2: I think that's how you make salt. Do you extract the water from the salt.
Speaker 3: Well, then it's like a two in one, so okay, wait, when you eat salty food.
Speaker 2: I don't have any more answer. That's all I had. That is all The screenshot that I stole from the internet gave me how many sources to side.
Speaker 1: This is Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: About two weeks.
Speaker 3: Ago, a package arrived for us at Cada Sure did. It was two little packages with a book inside, and it came with a bath bomb, kind of like a cute little pr gifting. And I personally love it when a book is sent my way because it reminds me that I'm cerebral, that other people consider me to be smart and somebody that reads books. Yeah, and as someone who never grew up reading books, I really like this arc that I've created. Anyway, The book in question was a book called something. Did you end up reading it?
Speaker 2: Not yet? You know, I don't read paperbacks and apprecia they get sent I do a little Hey everybody read this, But if I'm going to read it, I download it on Kindle. Are you going to download this one? Yeah? Do you know much about it? Can I give you? Please? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I haven't finished it full like full even better? Yeah, even better. So I'm about like three fourths of the way in, so I'm like very much involved with the characters, et cetera. It is a book written by a woman called Alex Sarkis. She is from the West western Sydney and it's basically about a woman called Nicole Nijam and she works at her dad's car dealership.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm reading it. I'm reading the first is she also selling window tints.
Speaker 3: She's taking photos of the cars to put them up on carsiles.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 3: She hates it though, her dad just like sits in the office all day watching movies.
Speaker 2: Again, very safey to be the boss.
Speaker 3: It does, and she it's like going through relationship and her love of the area. And it was so nice because here on Cada there's a show called the Area.
Speaker 2: Clearly I didn't know what that was because I'm from Melbourne. We didn't know. I had no idea. So I'm just hearing the area. What's what area? It's the area, And I've learned all about it through this book.
Speaker 3: Well, I've learned like a kind of like from her eyes. I love reading about things from an author that is speaking about where they grew up. And she does it so well. And in the book she talks about like going all around Sydney, not just West like. She describes what people from Bondai are like very much seen. She says they're like younger versions of people from like the North. They're like the North Shore people. But more creative, which I guess I agree with that. Anyway, they go to like restaurants in Bondai. They go to all these different places, and I love it because she doesn't name check them, but she gives enough detail so you know exactly what she's talking about.
Speaker 2: No free press, exactly exactly. She's one of us. So what is the book about?
Speaker 3: The book is about she's been broken up with and she's like grappling with what it's like to be a twenty six year old. I'm pretty sure she's Lebanese, Lebanese woman in this community where like everyone that age is having weddings and the lavish weddings. Some people have said the book similar to Looking for Ala Brandy, which I definitely got that, and I absolutely loved it because in it there's lots of dialogue and text between her and these different guys, and they speak the way that we speak. And I think it's really unusual to find a book of that quality and that colorba that also speaks in a way that we speak. Like this is going to be a runaway hit. So what would you rate it? I would like for what I what kind of person would you recommend it to?
Speaker 2: It's an easy read.
Speaker 3: I think it would be appreciated by avid readers as well as like beachside readers.
Speaker 2: Is that a word like holiday reads?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get you. It's pretty easy read. It's a romance but it's not wet. But it's also like sentimental not wet. You know, things are wet.
Speaker 2: You're doing it again? What your synaesthesia thing? Oh no, no, no, that's that's like a proper expression, like things are wet. Oh it's a bit wet. Have you heard that? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like when it's too suppy, like, oh, so so suppy.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. It's a good one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would recommend it to people who are looking for a bit of like romance. I think it's also a really good book for just Australia and just seeing someone like talk about the area in a way that's so clearly loves it and so also cognizant of how everybody else perceives it. She talks about like her cousins and these like guys that are drug dealers and stuff like that, but in a way that's not stereotypical.
Speaker 2: I love that. Ten out of ten you've got to go read. Okay, now you lost me. Now you've lost me because even my favorite books, there was a moment in time where I used to read a book and then review it on Instagram stories, and even my most favorite books I made sure when I was writing reviews they had to have cons because I don't trust people who throw out ten ten out of tens and no cons. What is this you put me off?
Speaker 3: I don't read enough books to be able to rate them, Like, I don't understand you can definitely rate them. I just say I would rate it. You should read it, you should buy it. It's a young Australian author and she's following the footsteps of another woman that was published by the same publisher called Diana Reid, who did a book called Love and Virtue. I'd put them in the same book.
Speaker 2: I remember that. Well. Thank you for those recommendations. I really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Firms on CADA.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you about this thing I've been doing, which involves not listening to anything the first hour of the day, because it ties into why this happened. Basically, I was driving to Cada and I was looking at this white, average soccer mumish car. I'm sure you'd know the name of it. I don't know car names, but she's a Sorrento perhaps, you know. In the lane next to me, Toyota arras maybe bigger than an arras, looks like a Hende cap tiva holding cap tiva, that kind of vibe, I digress, don't maybe stop it. So myself and this car we were driving at the exact same speed, which meant that we were, you know, neck and neck for too long, to the point where I was like, do you want to tell me something? Because why are you in my business? Like that? Then I had an intrusive thought, what if there was someone in the car trying to get my attention? What if they were trying to drive nearby so I would look over and see something that somebody wanted me to see. So then I had this vision, this visual that I would turn over and that there'd be someone holding an a four piece of paper to the window saying help me, and what would I do? And that definitely that thought took me to I think there was like a fifteen minute drive worth of thoughts about this very specific scenario that isn't impossible, But I just don't know why it would be happening. So I say that again. If you were driving next to a car you turn to look at their back window and you saw somebody holding up a white a four piece of paper that said help me, what would you do? What would be your initial reaction? I need to know the age of this person. I can't see them, the windows are tinted. I just kind of see the sign, and I know that someone's holding it because their arms are moving around, and then they took it away really quickly. I gotta follow the car. Really, yeah, I'm following the car.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna call my dad and say, hey, I just saw this thing. What do you think? And then hiss what it's called loose detective. He's like spider sense raigey vibes. Oh would say, nah, you go follow them? Oh, very serious, and then he'd be coaching me and saying, now you got to follow them, this is very serious. I'd follow them in a snoopy way, just hanging behind them, and then see where they park and then call the police.
Speaker 2: How far would you follow them? Because in this instance where I saw this car, not that this was a real scenario. The car that I used to beef up my imagination, my fantasy. We were on a motorway going one hundred ks. We weren't getting off anytime soon. Just follow on, Wow, what would you do? It took me a minute, And I definitely think that there's a reoccurring theme in situations like this, Like, for example, when I have nightmares and I don't know what to do, I always phone a friend, which is very odd for me because I was for the longest time felt like a lone wolf, like I'll just figure out by myself. I'll do it by myself. I don't need any help now. I'm always leaning on people. So I would definitely call Sully and I'd be like, hey, can you just take this number plate down. I'm explained to her what's happening, and then say I'm either gonna make a little status about it and let other people figure out what's the appropriate thing to do, and based on what they say should be done, I'll do because I'm not a very I'm not the kind of person who's gonna call the police for anything at the first drop of what could be something that's not very me. And I definitely think there's value in citizens vigilanteism, where as a community we figure out what is the appropriate thing to do, because I don't want to just like waste resources on some little kid playing games in the backseat and incriminating their parents. But I also feel like I'm not following because if you're in danger, I'm in danger. Okay, we both can't be in danger. It's above instincts.
Speaker 3: People need to know you call your local police station. So if you see something a little bit dodgy, don't call Triple zero. Have a little Google find your local police station. Call that number. They always pick up.
Speaker 2: A Karen would know that. Yep, literally, this is Karen one O one. I never heard of this.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms catch up podcasts. For more, tune Indicata on DAB or check it out right here on iHeartRadio.