Speaker 1: Have you had low iron before? Have you taken your iron supplements? Then notice that your iron levels never actually improved. On today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we deep dive iron supplementation and discuss the factors that impact how well your iron is absorbed in the body.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Leanne.
Speaker 3: Ward and I'm Sissy Burrow, and together we bring.
Speaker 2: You The Nutrition Couch, the weekly.
Speaker 1: Podcast that keeps you up to date with everything that you need to know in the world of nutrition as well as all things iron absorption. We also talk the trend of fibermaxing. We have a brand new Woolli's meal on the go to review, and our listener question is all about the evidence and truth behind collagen supplementation. But to kick us up today, Susie, we are chatting fibermaxing and it is quite the trend. I've seen it all over social media, all over TikTok, all over Instagram, and I don't mind it. And you will rarely ever hear me saying that I don't mind a social media nutrition trend, But this is one of those ones that I actually quite like because basically, what the fibermaxing trend is is it's deliberately trying to encourage people to actually increase their fiber intake by adding more things like legumes, whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds to their meals and to their day. So you know, this is actually a very real problem when we look at the nutrition landscape, Ninety something plus percent of people in Australia are not eating enough vegetables and they're very likely not eating enough fiber either, so we know that fiber intake needs improving. The fibermaxing trenders I think basically talking about how to increase your fiber intake as much as you possibly can, But there are some little nuances to that that I just wanted to talk about on the podcast because I do think that people need to deliberately increase the amount of vegetables they eat, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds. So I think most dieticians actually agree with this trend because we do fall well short of our recommended fiber intakes, and we know that fiber is really important from a gut health perspective. It helps to manage cholesterol, blood sugar control, and theres actually a lot of research in terms of people who have adequate the whole food. Fiber intakes can help prevent some long term chronic diseases as well, but more fiber isn't always better, particularly for those people with quite sensitive tumbies. And I believe that the average Australian gets in around sort of fifteen grams of fiber. So if you're trying to go from fifteen grams of fiber to like fifty grams of fiber overnight, that is not.
Speaker 2: Going to end well.
Speaker 1: I can promise you that you were going to be very bloated, very uncomfortable, probably quite gassy, and not wanting to be in a contained room with other people. So you've got to go low, and you've got to go slow. You've got to start with your fiber and gradually increase it slowly, and then you need to add enough water in because if you're adding a ton of fiber and you're not adding enough water in, you are going to be very, very uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: You're probably just going to make things worse.
Speaker 1: So that is the first point I really really want to drive home for our nutrition catch listeners that yes, fiber is super important, but do not increase it too quickly. Do not go from you know, ten, twelve, fifteen grams of fiber up to fifty overnight, it will end badly. I promise you that, and make sure that you have enough fluids. Now, the type of fiber also matters, because I believe Susie was it. A few episodes ago we reviewed one of the fiber wraps and it had like sixteen grams of fiber in a tiny, small, mini white wrap. Like not a great idea. So really make sure that that fiber is coming from whole food sources as much as possible. Yes, you can use things like celium hust meta musle to get that fiber intake up, but I certainly would not be getting in you know, thirty grams of celium husts and then you know increasing, you know, a tin of beans and legumes, a couple of slices of grainy bread, you know, four queue fruits.
Speaker 2: All in one day. Because you're not it's just it's gonna bad leave.
Speaker 4: I think what I say with fiber is people have incredibly low amounts one day and then super lowd the next. So forgetting that, it's about consistency with digestive healths. So a classic example is when you go traveling and all of a sudden, you get terribly constipated because you've gone from eating your regular diet with fresh food and fresh fruits, and you're on a flight for twenty four hours and eating plain food which was notoriously low in dietary fiber. It's stop people using the bathrooms too much, so you've got lots of white rice and playing chicken kind of meals. And then the snacks are things like potato chips and biscuits and ice cream, so you're not getting that fresh food bulk, and then you become dehydrated and of course not moving. And that's the tree ad for terrible gut health. And what I see with busy people is similar. You know, they're good on the days they're at home and having vegetables, and then suddenly they're at an event and they're all at a conference or traveling or at an early morning flight, and they skip their regular whole grain bread and cereal for something like a protein shake or just coffee. They're having catered lunches, which is sort of notorious for low fiber options like sushi or white bread and white wraps on cakes and biscuits as the snacks, not a lot of fresh food or at the Quantus club with the cheese and crackers, and then you know the dinners are eating out, and when you go to a restaurant or even catered food cannot past the mostly low in fiber. So all of a sudden, your poor gut goes from having a certain amount to very low, and we wonder why everything slows down. And on top of that, we drink alcohol because we're socializing or traveling, not drinking enough fluid, and we're not doing our regular exercise. And again, these are the three things, and what I often see with my clients is that they're all of a sudden stressed because they're not going to the bathroom as frequently. They're bloated, and then then they super load the fiber as you describe, so they're having four Kiwi fruit and then they're having a bowl of bran and a bowl of vegetable soup and all these beans, and it just compacts in and nothing's working. So you're much better to do it consistently. And one thing I've always done when I travel, funnily enough, is that I'll always have brand when I go away, Like I'll just start with the cereal when I get there to stop getting clogged up. I try not to eat a whole lot on planes because I find it makes it worse. I always have a soup before I go. So there's certainly some strategies that you can implement when you are traveling, but just being mindful that it's those three things you require. It's not about more and more and more. It's about getting the right types of fiber. Keeping in mind there's different types of fiber in cooked vegetables versus raw vegetables. Making sure you're getting the high fiber fruits, making sure you're getting a lot of fluid, and some good quality type of brand or whole grain bread cereals, not just loading up on beans for example, a whole mix of options. But you need to have plenty of fluid, and sometimes the best thing is going to the gym or going for a run to get everything moving. So it's the three tiered approach rather than just I've got clients who definitely just super loads. So yeah, I think it's a really interesting trend, but I would prefer people to just be consistent with it and be mindful that when you're going to a cafe, you're not getting much fiber from a sour dough bread. When you're picking up food on the run and you're having fish bowl which is incredibly popular at the moment, or you're having wraps or you're having salads away from the home, you're often not getting that great quality fiber. So if you haven't had a fiber rich meal at lunchtime, making a concerted effort to add a soup in or have cooked vegetables at night are just things we automatically should be doing, because I would much rather somebody have twenty five grams of fiber every day than fifty one day and twenty your ten the next. And that's what I notice tend to happen, particularly over the weekends when people are having the bunting sausages or the cannapas, the pizza. The fiber intake goes from good to really low really quickly, and that will absolutely have an impact on your digestive health and regularity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and people notice it on Monday, you know, we always get comments from clients saying, my bowels are all over the place, what's happening? And it is just that consistency with weekend eating. So as dietitians, we are certainly very supportive. We want all the strains to eat more fibers and all of our listeners to eat more fiber. But rather than fiber maxing, we want to call it being fiber smart, don't we being fiber consistent. We want you to focus on more plants, more legumes, more nuts and seeds, more variety, more water, more whole foods, and build it up gradually and do it consistently and your gut will thank you rather than hating you from going from ten grams to fifty grams back down to ten grams a day.
Speaker 4: And we've forgot the most important thing that we talk about all the time. The fiber in formulated food is not the same. So when you see these mega rab with this process fiber or even snack bars packed full of chickory root and what are the others that they stick in there?
Speaker 1: Inulin and the tapiocre starch, And yes it has some benefit, but really, when you look at the research around the health benefits and the reduction in chronic disease and the support that you get from a gut microbio perspective, it's really it's the whole foods. It's the legumes and nuts of seeds like actually add some beans into your dinner. If you're making a spaghetti, put a tin of lentils in. If you're making Mexican, add some black beans. That is the type of fiber that you want. We don't want twelve grams of fiber coming from a protein bar or fifteen grams of fiber from your breakfast granola. It's probably going to do your gut, you know, worse than could because you're going to be so bloated and gassy for so many people. So focus on real food when it comes to increasing your fiber and you will be a lot happier for it.
Speaker 4: And if you're seeing these products like the wraps we talked about that have got you know, ten, twelve, fifteen grams, it's too much in one sitting and straight away we know that's process fiber and not as good for you. So just stick to the natural sources all right ly. And we're excited, aren't we? Has dieticians. We don't get that excited very often. It's actually in my career, because I've worked a long time now, it's very.
Speaker 3: Rare that I see something that excites me. It's very rare.
Speaker 4: I see research and I'm like, oh, yeah, that's new and this I had actually not seen this before, which is I probably should have but super interesting. But I came up on Instagram because at the moment, my feeds filled with all things iron deficiency, and it was actually something I hadn't seen before. I thought it was fascinating, as did you when I sent it to you. So we desperately wanted to talk about it on the Nutrition Couch because we've spoken a few weeks ago about iron and low ferritin and this is a fascinating study that will make things a little bit clearer why perhaps you have supplemented with iron before and perhaps not had the best results. So it's a study published in a very reputable journal, the Lancet Hematology, way back in twenty seventeen, so this certainly isn't new. And the title, I'm going to read it because it's a very strong study, and it's called iron absorption from oral iron supplements given on consecutive versus alternate days and as a single morning dose versus twice daily split dosing in iron depleted women to open label randomized control trials. So this is a very very well designed study and to put it into Layman's terms. It's basically comparing the effect of iron uptaking the body of a group of women who had low, extremely low ferretin levels.
Speaker 3: So we spoke about this the other day.
Speaker 4: So their ferretin I think was under twenty five and I think the ranges like fifty to two hundred, So they were way way low in ferretin. And that's my concern when I see women who are particularly low in ferretin. And basically what they were looking at was the effective absorption. So given quite high amounts of iron sixty milligrams at a set time each day on consecutive days for fourteen days, and the other group was given the same dose but on alternate days for double the amount of time, and it was randomly controlled. So it was all a very very well designed study. Now, what the study is looking at and what I actually want to talk about, we'll talk about the results in a second. Basically, Physiologically, what happens when the body is trying to absorb iron, A lot of it comes down to the role of a peptide hormone called hepsidon hepsidon hahgp hepsidon hgpc id I in hepsidon. I call it Leam would say hepsidon. She is from Queensland. They pronounce things slightly differently, but it's the same thing. And it's basically produced by the liver and it acts as the master regulator of iron homeostasis, so it's basically managing our iron levels. And interestingly and people with hemochromatosis they don't have that, and hence they're more likely to iron overload, which is fascinating physiologically they're missing it. So basically it's telling the liver how much to.
Speaker 3: Absorb or not.
Speaker 4: But it's got a couple of mechanisms that can impact the way that we absorb iron, so basically all different things. If you've got infection, for example, it can block it to allow the cells to be without ion so that it replicates too quickly. But in the case of supplementing, so when you've got a female who has very very low ferrihin levels and she suddenly takes a really high elemental dose as you would see in pherograd ce or in multipher they are the supplements we use here in Australia. When you take a very very high amount, basically this peptide hepsidem. It triggers a temporary spike in that that lasts for about twenty four hours and acts as a block to subsequent doses, and it's like a protective mechanism to prevent iron overload.
Speaker 3: So suddenly the body is like not like, oh we're low, I need more and more.
Speaker 4: The basic physiology is, oh, you've got a huge amount come in. Sixty million romes is huge, and I think multiphas even more. I think multiphus like isn't ferrograd c like one hundred one hundred ye, so super high amounts. Keep in mind our idea is like fifteen eighteen or something. So you're having amounts three, four or five times that coming in. The body goes or hang on. I need to be careful with this because I don't want to have too much because that's also damaging to the body cell. So it basically blocks it for twenty four hours. And hence the recommendation from a number of GPS and rightly so that if you are supplementing with iron and you're very low, you need to only take it on alternate days to avoid this reaction where you're taking it but it's not being absorbed and actually being blocked. So back to the results of the study, which were so interesting, so interestingly land and not surprising given now we know how that peptide.
Speaker 3: Is it a peptide? What did I say it was? It was a it's a hormone.
Speaker 2: It's a hormone now.
Speaker 4: So basically the differences in the alternate day group was the total iron absorption was seventy one point four compared to one hundred and ten, So basically, as we would expect, it was significantly better in the group who had alternate day supplementation. So I thought, it's not groundbreaking in the sense it makes sense, but it also is a reminder as why if you've been taking iron supplements too frequently when your levels of ferretin are low, that you might not have had the response that you were looking for. And certainly it's better to split to have the dose on alternate days for maximum absorption.
Speaker 3: And I think, did it say it's better to split it as well?
Speaker 2: No, it's just alternate day, it's.
Speaker 4: All turnate days. So yeah, so that's basically why. Because of that, So if you're on social media, you would have seen a lot of people writing about absorption. So the question I have leanne Are you still then better to orally supplement versus getting in fusion? And that's I think a question because I think if iron supplements don't agree with you, you know, you get an upset stomach from them, you find that it's really harsh on the gut, You're probably better to get an infusion. But for whatever reason you have difficulty getting it, you don't want to pay because it can be an elective choice. The doctors recommending against it. Certainly the best advice has been to supplement and scientifically on alternate days at a reasonably high dose. I prefer multi for myself, Like if I was recommending a supplement for clients, I would go that over fair grad Sea, but I've had some people who use ferro grad CEA. I think that it's more important to do it occasionally, like every second day, at a good dose, to bring the levels up, and then you ultimately want to be checking to make sure that it's been uptaken by the body because for a range of different reasons, sometimes iron won't be well absorbed. You might have an infection, you might have some other things going on. You might consume a lot of tea or coffee, that you hadn't thought about. All those factors do have impacted the way you're consuming it because it can block it. And I had a listener question come up about timing of oxalates as well, which we're going to cover in a future episode. So yeah, I think it's just most important that you're doing that follow up a month or two later to make sure that your stores have been brought up back to regular levels and then make a decision rather than assuming that it's okay, because I do notice a lot of people will come in on iron, they'll start some supplements, they feel a bit better, and then they let it go. But you forget, you've got to build the stores right up again back to normal and make sure that you maintain them with it an adequate oral intake or if you know your ideal is to take a low dose supplement long term whatever, you've got to have a plan for it. Basically, you don't want to just hope it's up there because you feel a bit better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's super super interesting, and you know, as dieticians, and you know, many gps have always recommended every second day, you know, for iron supplementation, but it's good to actually have the research to come back to you. Like you said, it's not new. The study has been around for a long time. It wasn't a huge, huge, huge study.
Speaker 2: It was a great.
Speaker 1: Design study, but there was only nineteen women, so it wasn't huge, So it is worth a good discussion with huge GP. But certainly, many of the gas show introlgists I've worked within the past have always recommended second day aren't absorption. So basically the practical implication that the study was recommending was they're sort of saying, instead of taking a hundred milligrams of iron every day, it may actually be better to take two hundred milligrams of iron every second day. That's a whopping dose as well, because they're saying that the alternate day dosing improved iron absorption by around forty to fifty percent, and that is absolutely massive. But the big question I had when I read this, SUSI was well, what are the GI side effects, because surely two hundred milligrams of like elemental iron is a huge amount every second day. But interestingly, there were no like hugely significant differences in the GI side effects between both groups. So the most common side effects from a gashuintestinal perspective was nausea and epigastric pain for both doses, So in both groups there were a few women who both experienced a bit of nausea and a bit of pain, but it was no worse in the two hundred milligram dosing versus one hundred milligram dosing, so quite similar. And I think one of the ladies had a case of some vomiting as well, So basically the difference between the amounts were similar from a side effect perspective, which would for me as a dietician, if the GP was on board and happy, I'd probably be recommending the high dose every second day. But then we also know that iron can be quite constipating for some people as well, so that there brings the fiber fluid physical activity thing back into play as well. So a few things to manage, I think, but certainly worth a trial, I think if you're someone who's consistently had low iron or you know it takes a really really really long time for that eriton to come up on the blood test as well, But just really really fascinating.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I will say the single dosing, not splitting the dose is important too, because that impacts the peptide that's impacting it all. So yes, single dosing, even if it's every second day, don't split it all right, Lenn, Well, these have got a new ready made range of meals and I did have you noticed this?
Speaker 1: I have noticed them. I haven't tried them, but I have noticed them. I had a client try them.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I have to be honest, so I've been talking about this for a while now. I have loved what Coals are doing in this space for a while. Unfortunately we're not paid by either Coals or Willies. We are open to it, but I have preferred what Coals have been doing in a ready meal sort of pre made option for quite some time. I think some of their coal's finest is really good. And I had noticed Woolies were lagging behind a bit, but they've come to the party with a whole new range of ready to go meals in the fresh food section. I don't love the packaging, I'll be honest. I think that it's not overly attractive. If they've got that real like the salad, sort of that glossy plastic film with the black riding, I just don't think it is overly appealing looking. But let's not take away from the nutritionals. So we're going to look at one of the products there at the moment, and certainly, like many food suppliers, they are targeting a higher protein approach.
Speaker 3: So there's the ones we're going to look at today. The bowls.
Speaker 4: There's a whole range of bowls there that are heavily marketed as high protein with thirty five grams and I just randomly chose the Woolworths Tariachy chicken bowl. Now, as I said, I don't love the packaging. It's not visually appealing to me. It retails for twelve dollars, so that's twelve dollars for the meals. Not insignificant, not overly high, but it's up there for Health Star rating. As we know, there's issues with the Health Star ratings, so it doesn't always give us a lot of information. If I look at the ingredient list, which is generally what we go to first cook brown rice thirty percent, followed by RSPCA preof chicken twenty five. So that is a high amount water at amame beans nine percent, and a lot of food companies will use edto marmae to bump up the protein a little bit. I will say that edom marmee look discolored in the packet, which is not overly appealing. Ede mama's got to be bright green, doesn't it? Otherwise it does look like a real mushy color. Broccoli florets, carrot, cook kinoa, three point five percent soy sauce, mirran, brown sugar, corn starch, cheriaki seasoning, vegetable gum, acidity regulator, crushed ginger, garlic, dextros, salt, canola oil, sesame seeds, tapioca starch, black pepper, citrus, citrus, citrus fiber, and a natural preservative. So safe to say that those things are in there, and relatively small amounts, even though there is quite a few ingredients and additives listed. So nutritionally perserve at three hundred and fifty grams, which is about the size of a small frozen meal. Weight wise, comes in at just shy of four fifty calories per serve, so a decent load for a meal. Thirty five grams of protein, which is a nice amount for that calorie load. It's low fat seven grams of fat definitely less than one percent saturated, fifty six grams of carbohydrate, twelve grams of sugars less than five percent sugar overall, though coming from those sources, Tiaki sauce is notorious for having a bit of sugar five point two grams of dietary fiber, which is not overly high for that calorie load. You'd really want eight to ten for a meal. Seven fourteen milligrams of sodium. Not high, not overly low. Ah, what do we think?
Speaker 2: Leanne?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have bought this one because I didn't think it looks very nice. It looks a bit mushy to me. The protein is high. I think for.
Speaker 3: Twelve dollars, is it high?
Speaker 4: Well, you can get a can of tuna for what twenty grams of protein for four bucks, so it's not overly cheap for that level of protein. I give it a I don't know, eight out of ten. I guess if it tastes good. We have not tried it. What are you think?
Speaker 1: I fight a client who tried it, and she has a very particular palette, and she was not impressed.
Speaker 2: She just said it was a bit mushy.
Speaker 1: And it looks to me like it looks like it's been overcooked a little bit like it doesn't look very like the photo on the front looks better than the bowl itself. It does look a bit mushy, like it's sort of been oversteamed a little bit. She wasn't that impressed, She said she wouldn't buy it again. She did try a few of the others in the range. She said they were a little bit better, but I think in her opinion, the calls one sort of come out on top. But all of these pre made meals, they're never going to be as good as making it fresh from home. So this is they're targeting a certain busy person who doesn't have the time or I guess they want to cook for themselves. So there's a little bit of you know, sacrifice that comes with that. I guess you're not going to get chef style quality meals from the supermarket. Would I buy it myself, No, Would I recommend it to clients, yes, but again a certain type of client.
Speaker 4: A certain type of client, but someone who doesn't mind mushy foot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and who doesn't want to cook and you know, just wants to reheat something I guess is fine, and who's not you know that particular about food and taste, and you know, some people are really like it has to taste amazing.
Speaker 2: Other people are like, well.
Speaker 3: Someone with really low standard's nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's fine, but I wouldn't be rushing out to buy it myself.
Speaker 2: I think nutritionally it's all right.
Speaker 4: What I would say is this is where frozen is better than fresh, because the thing about a lot of the frozen meals is that they're snap frozen, so they retain a lot of quality. So there at a marmade doesn't look so brown and mushy. It's often looking a lot cleaner, like a lot brighter. It actually retains a lot more if you don't overcook it. And people always think fresh is better. Well, fresh is better if you're doing it at home, but not if it's sat in the supermarket production line for a week before you get it. So I'm a bit like, actually, if you're got to have these meals, I think in a lot of instances you better to have the frozen ones.
Speaker 3: I actually quite like the Woolies fresh one.
Speaker 4: There's a preciudo chicken, there's a salmon, there's a steak I've recommended and use, so it's for quite some time. They're not discimil price points and they've got cook veggies in them, so yeah, I think there's better options, and I don't think you should assume that frozen is inferior nutritionally than fresh, because in that instance, you would argue that the frozen would be better and higher in nutrients because it's been snap frozen, whereas I guarantee you if something's discolored, it's losing some of the nutrition. So yeah, I think it's interesting and it will be interesting to see what survives in supermarket because I think generally skews are given three months and if they're not doing well, they'll be out. So yeah, I think watch this space. Will is obviously trying to come to the party with better options, and certainly they need to because if you've got overseas and spent time in whole foods in the States or Marks and Spencer, their quality of pre made food is beyond what we have here at the moment, and I think we will only improve because people are looking for more quick and easy options, particularly with the cost of food, because for twelve dollars for thirty five grams of protein, it is probably cheaper than buying the chicken breast the different vegetables. That's probably going to cost you close to twenty but they've got to taste good for people to invest that kind of money. Given that originally frozen meals were five bucks, now they're sort of eight to ten, and it's getting into that ten plus dollar people do expect a certain level of standard and quality with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'd rather go to a sandwich shop and get a beautiful fresh sandwich with all of the salads and some lean chicken breast and a bit of avocado, And it's certainly going to be It's pretty high protein. Maybe not thirty five grams, but it's a lot fresheran to me, a lot more appealing, and not really twelve dollars either.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, depending on where you go.
Speaker 4: I thought it was the price was quite high for it. I thought it was probably more an eight dollar product, So they're certainly trading on the protein aspect. Thirty five grams. It is good, But yeah, I think that it's not visually so appealing right now.
Speaker 5: They've got to do a bit of work on it. I don't think a lot of people will be jumping for it reaching for it. Yeah, true, true, true. Speaking of jumping and reaching, well, what do we need to do that. Lean college keeps our joints.
Speaker 4: That's beautiful and iluds wrong and fluid flex or the.
Speaker 1: Listener question of the week, what is the evidence behind collagen supplementation? Now, I think I've taken collagen for a long time, probably a lot longer than you. I've always been a bit of a fan of it and you look twenty five. So it's working well done, and a filter too. But I will say collagen isn't magic, right, Collagen is not botox, no matter how much we want it to be, it is not magic. However, there is a reasonable amount of evidence behind specific hydrolyzed collagen peptides and certain strains of them, certain brands of them, and when taken consistently, not sporadically randomly, when you remember twice a week, consistently by that I mean daily, the research has shown that it can actually modestly improve important things like skin elasticity, hydration, and wrinkled depth. That's where the bulk of the strongest research lies. But you need to take it daily for about eight to twelve weeks. That's what the research shows. So for skin health, yes, not for fat loss, not for hormos, not for repairing your gut, it's not bowtop, but for skin and joint heals. Yes, there is some good research now. The most studied collagen peptides are called verasol. Now In some of the research, Charles found that about two point five grams of verasol collagen a day for eight weeks reduced irinkle volume and increased different markers of dermal matrix synthesis, including procollagen type one and elastin now it Also there was another study that find that verasol bovine collagen in women between the ages of thirty five and fifty five found that two and a half grams of collagen daily improved wrinkle volume, skin elasticity, and hydration after eight weeks. So there are some systematic reviews that generally show that cardrolized collagen and the bulk of the research has been done on austrand called verasol. Veerisol, like I said, helps with skin hydration, elasticity, and some fine lines and wrinkles, but the effect is modest and some of the studies are on smaller site. That is important to know. So do I like collagen overall? Yes, it adds protein into the diet. If you're looking at it from a joint health perspective, you need more so for from that skin elasticity perspective, you're looking at two and a half to five grams a day. From a joint health perspective, you're looking at ten to fifteen grams a day. Now, there's been some chatter online that like a marine collagen is superior. The research does not show that I personally prefer bovine collagen. But if you're not someone who you know eats meat or something, then marine collagen might be a better option for you.
Speaker 2: But it is not any better.
Speaker 1: It's just like people say that, you know, vegan protein is better than way, it's actually not. The research shows that the opposite way protein is actually better than vegan protein. So if you were going to do it, I would say you need to do it daily. You need to take it for eight to twelve weeks, take some photo see if it makes a difference. Try to find a brand that uses verasol, because that is the most research collagen peptide out there. A lot of brands talk a big game, They charge a hell of a lot of money, They have beautiful models modeling for them, but really we're looking at the evidence and where the science actually lies. And as I said, if you're going to take it when you remember sporadically, when you feel life, get half a dose here, half a dose there, You're probably not going to get the best results. Because the research really does show two point five to five grams a day for eight to twelve weeks using if you can, vasol, which is a trademarked collagen peptide.
Speaker 2: So that is exactly what we did when we.
Speaker 1: Formulated out designed by Dietitian renew collagen. We used five grams in a serve of verasol collagen. We manufacture it in Australia. We're bound by very tight TDA regulations. It doesn't come out of China like a lot of different supplement brands do. And we use that viasol collagen as well. So if you want to try it, there is some research behind collagen and it also adds to your overall protein intake for the day, So scoop of our designed by Dietitian renew collagen actually adds about five grams of protein to your day as well, so numerous benefits. Whether or not you want to try it is entirely up to you. But if you are looking at it from a joint health perspective, I double the dose and do ten grams a day.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 4: I think that definitely when you're getting into your forties and fifties and you start to notice that knee pain, it's worth a try because that can be debilitating and there is evidence for it. But it's like anything, it's about the consistency and doing it in the right way. And my collagen users love it, you know, they're deeply committed to it. So yeah, it's like all supplementation, it's a personal choice, but we can relate the science. And I also think it's important. I've noticed on social media a few doctors hopping on a bandwagon about collagen supplementation, and I think you've also got to keep in mind where you're getting your positioning from, because it's like with HRT. If you see a doctor who's deeply against HRT or supplements, that's the message they send, and that's also a personal position as opposed to reporting the science. And that's what we will do here at the Nutrition Couch. They're not saying that that super letting collagens like botoxs are going to make you look twenty years younger, which I think some brands do allude to in their marketing, and they're off their brands by people you don't. They're faceless brands who's making them? So I think with supplements, you want to make sure you're getting it from someone qualified to be formulating, which is why we create a design by dietitians. But I think just be wary when you get haters, you know, doctors saying no evidence, shouldn't be having it. And I look at some of the doctors and I think, you don't even wear makeup, so you're not using or promoting supplements ever, and as such, you're putting your personal opinion on things. And my position always on supplements, it's a personal choice. I can tell you what I think has evidence behind it. I'll tell you what I take and why, but then I let my clients go and make an informed decision themselves. Whereas I think when you get experts or professionals telling people what they think they should and shouldn't do, I'm always a bit wary because it's like, you know, what political party do you go for? You're bringing your personal opinion on it versus actually just reporting the science and letting people make an informed choice. So yeah, if you're watching a doctor who clearly isn't about anti aging in her presentation, she's probably not the person to be giving commentary about college and supplementation for whatever purpose. Because you're right, particularly when it comes to joint health, there is evidence for it and has been for many, many years, and as such, we have used it with athletes, et cetera for a long time in their joint rehab and recovery. In a different context, And can I also say that just because a brand charges a heck of a lot of money, like I've seen College in eighteen ninety dollars, it doesn't mean it's better. As I said, if you actually look at the clinical research, verasol is the best most research studies strain of collagen, and a lot of these brands aren't even using that and they're charging ninety dollars that designed by dieticians. We want the best quality research and we want fair prices all year round. We don't inflate our prices to constantly go on thirty or forty percent off.
Speaker 2: That's just not what we do. I like to think we have integrity, Suzi, like some of the brands.
Speaker 3: Well, we don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't overcharge for similar you know, we charge what we need to charge as a business, but we don't double it just to make extra profit, which is what you see all the time with creation and with pollogen, which makes us very angry. And the hot chocolates I've spoken about the eighty dollars hot chocolate. That's abominable. You know, if ex influencers and models are selling double the active ingredient, it's dodgy as and I think it is good to be aware of that because if you want it's like when you go to the chemist and you're looking at the active molecule in the allergy med you know, don't pay more for a brand name if it's the same active ingredient. And that's the same thing with supplements. Just buy beware because you can waste a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And if we're using the best quality available strains of collagen and packing and you know, actually manufacturing it in Australia is most brands are manufacturing straight out of China, and we can do our collagen for thirty seven dollars a bag. You don't need to be paying ninety dollars when some of these celebrity brands are charging, you're not getting anything better.
Speaker 3: I was looking at creating in.
Speaker 4: I had to do a review article for Good Food and I had to do Creatin in the supermarket, so I actually went online to look at all the different brands because I wanted to report. So seek German Creating for the pure option, and none of the mainstream brands in supermarket. We're marketing on German source Creatin, which means it's all Chinese. So that's also what's going on in the background.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well, little supplement chitchat for our listeners. But that brings us to the end of another episode of the Nutrition Catch And like we said, if you know that your diet needs a little bit of extra protein or creatine, or you'd like to trial some collagen, go and check out our scientifically formulated range of supplements at designed Bydietitians dot com. Thank you for listening, and we will catch you in next week's podcast.
Speaker 3: You will have a great week.