Speaker 1: Fist the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: To my six year old daughter, very excited due to COVID all the stuff about getting her learners and going out and doing miles in the car as I was moved back for months last year. She hit sixteen in July and now she can finally do it. So I've got her three driving lessons booked in February. She's really excited. But we all can remember when we first started to have our driving lessons and driving tests.
Speaker 3: In the UK.
Speaker 2: The driving test is very different to here. So in our driving test, right, you've got to do a thing which was terrifying called the emergency stop. So the instructor would say, whenever I bang my clipboard on the dashboard, join this next twenty minutes test. You have to slam on the brakes immediately. It was like a child. It was just stepped in front of the car. So the whole test, right, you can't You're nervous anyway, aren't you. Because you're in the car with this strange guy with his clipboard. You know he's analyzing you, mirror signal maneuver, all of that. You're checking everything. One false move you're going to fail to go at lessons. Any moment he's going to smash the dashboard.
Speaker 3: You go go like this, do they still do that or yeah? And the other thing was we had to do a three point turn? Do you have to do the three point turn?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I always think of that. What's the one in Austin powers you know? Nine hundred moves?
Speaker 2: It's like an uber driver, you know some when they're doing that thing? What's he doing a nine hundred point turns?
Speaker 3: Bring me my dando.
Speaker 2: And the other thing was I failed my first test. There a thing called reversing round a corner where you punk up someone quiet and you'd have to reverse the car round a corner every day. No, I've never done it since, but I failed it first time, which is why I failed my test.
Speaker 3: So what happened with your test? It's different.
Speaker 4: I failed my first test as well. I had a driving instructor who gave you five lessons and then on the day he came with you in the car.
Speaker 3: So you can't have a mate. Where was he a mate? He was just sit in there right and do the thing for you.
Speaker 4: So the guy running the test is seeing in the passenger seat. But my instructor who'd done the five lessons with. He was in the back seat.
Speaker 3: We kind of like a cheat's moral support.
Speaker 5: I did as well.
Speaker 4: Jane, No, but I actually blame it on him as why I failed my.
Speaker 2: First She's doing it wasn't like in the rear view mirror sort of you know, holding up signs, going on your tanking.
Speaker 4: This he was worse. He knew the driving, he knew the test taker, I guess because they've taken a lot of tests together, so they were like blabbing on about their holidays. They hadn't seen each other for a while, definitely quiet, so they were doing a catch up and I was driving. I actually got the feeling that they weren't paying attention to me, so I went through a yellow light, which is technically legal, but they is frowned upon on the test and he told me to frown upon.
Speaker 2: And that's the emoji they use, crowned upon. I think it's a golden no no.
Speaker 4: It was a golden no because I didn't even get to finish the test, forget it. They asked me to pull over and then the test taker jumps in the driver come back.
Speaker 2: It went so bad, he went, we don't even trust you to get back to the I have a friend of mine right who was so nervous about his tests. He got this thing is called beta blockers. You can have these things to calm your nerves, right, They called beta blockers right right, and they really leve him out. You only meant to take one or two, all right, because they're very very strong. He took the whole blister packet of eight. He was so leveled out right.
Speaker 3: They some traffic bights.
Speaker 2: He was just out of it. I didn't know where he was, right. They strit to get going. Are you okay?
Speaker 3: So it's just like you know anyway, he was so relaxed. The car pulled up.
Speaker 2: At these nights, my mate just turn the engine off, got out of the car, just walking off.
Speaker 3: He felt the test.
Speaker 4: Because it's never happened before. It's probably unprecedented. So I was like, I guess you failed. We haven't written down that done anything wrong.
Speaker 3: He just went home. He's got a it's bored. Perhaps he did you pass first time?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I failed the first time and had it a bit of a big night before and got into a bit of trouble from my mum because I was running late and I failed anyway, so I had to reset it a second time.
Speaker 3: What the actual test, because there's two parts to it.
Speaker 5: Here, so the l plates it was for the theory test.
Speaker 3: Technically impossible.
Speaker 4: That's the one where you're not in the carb a laptop.
Speaker 5: You got to like the no, not in those days it was pen and paper. Just went into the vic Rhodes office. Failed, miserably, left in tears, and my mother was very angry with me.
Speaker 4: I thought that was the one where they tried to encourage you, like you can't fail. It's like, all right, no, you chose that, but for next time, John.
Speaker 2: And pats could fail. And you've never seen her drive and she should have stayed felt all right? What happened during your driving lessons or when you took your test?
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: What happened during your driving lessons or on your driving test?
Speaker 3: Know this every time you tuned in to the show.
Speaker 2: Me, Jack and Patsy are all people that failed our tests the first time. I remember my instrict because I was so upset when I failed it because all my mates had parted.
Speaker 3: You just want to you just want to be on.
Speaker 2: The roads, don't It represents freedom? In the car, and I remember the instructor trying to make it better for me, going all all the best drivers fell first time and started naming some Formula one drivers, right.
Speaker 3: That failed first time. It's only actually, as I was thinking about some of that, how did he know what form Little one drivers? And also they dive dangerously for a living. Yeah, drivers, the most dangerous drivers in the world.
Speaker 2: I can't take solace that Lewis Hamilton might have failed it first time.
Speaker 3: All right, then let's go to lines.
Speaker 6: Joel, Good morning, Good morning, Hey going, guys, I'm good.
Speaker 3: So what happened in the car on the driving test or lesson?
Speaker 6: So I actually failed my els three times?
Speaker 3: You mean that the theory one?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just to sit down at the computer and yeah, failed at three times. It was the sixteenth birthday present from my parents that kept going.
Speaker 1: Seventeen and eighteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, Joel, Joel.
Speaker 4: After the first one or even the second one, didn't you think maybe i'll study this time?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 6: I thought I was, but I'm not that smart obviously, but I passed.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've seen most of the people on the roads, I wouldn't say most of them.
Speaker 3: My joby of people, aren't that smart?
Speaker 6: Very true. I'm one of those people.
Speaker 4: I remember it being so easy though. It was like a simulation of like sand on the road up ahead. It's like, should you drive through the dangerous set.
Speaker 3: It's a red light after you stop, or.
Speaker 6: Go right through it through?
Speaker 3: No Joel? So, Joel, did you finally pass it on the fourth attempt?
Speaker 6: I finally passed on the fourth attempt I got you could only get four questions wrong, and I got four questions wrong and I passed.
Speaker 2: With vic roses fed up seeing it, I was, Joel, just bloody give it to him.
Speaker 6: Joe.
Speaker 2: All right, Joel, that's a great one. We'll give you a prize. Okay, thanks for colling you with that.
Speaker 6: Thanks guy, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Have a good day, Eliza. Good morning, Oh, good morning, good morning, Eliza.
Speaker 3: Off you go. What happened?
Speaker 7: I had my instructor in the car who gave me a secret code to pass my test.
Speaker 3: So what was the pre arranged code?
Speaker 7: He had a dot in the door and that was a turn to the left, and then when he touched his forehead as a turn to the right, and that was my reverse park or sort of tore me.
Speaker 4: He actually sounds more difficult.
Speaker 2: Reverse parking is hard without some guy doing seophore or sign language on the back seat going what was it?
Speaker 3: Is it your left or my left door? It's harder.
Speaker 2: On the door.
Speaker 7: We had practiced it before the test, so we knew what we were doing.
Speaker 3: Do you think, Eliza, this out in any way?
Speaker 4: Why didn't youse path?
Speaker 7: Yes, it really stucked me out for years after that. But after the test, I did it for the past first time, just did my reverse parts.
Speaker 2: They need to drive round in the car for years afterwards because you had learned it.
Speaker 7: Sometimes to give it over to friends to reverse pass for me.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Eliza, that's a great call.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Have a good day you too. By Tracy, good morning.
Speaker 8: Good morning. I failed my test the first time because I had someone running to me while I was doing my test.
Speaker 3: Crashed that their currents yours yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 8: I was totally innocent because the law says that you are actually partly guilty because she's there at the.
Speaker 2: Times, almost like a metaphysical sort of conundrum.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was in the left hand lane. A guy went past me. It was a two lane road. He's gone past me on the right hand side and gone a left hand and at the next street, and it was almost the end of my test, and the instructors, every examiner just said to me, turn around and go back if aished, Oh.
Speaker 2: That's right, there was, Yeah, I bet, And so did I give.
Speaker 3: You the next one free?
Speaker 8: No, my driving instructor did he because he argued the point, said it wasn't her fault and everything like that, and gave me the next lesson because you have a lesson with it. And he gave that to me free that and he paid the booking and everything out of his own pocket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome. We give you pat tickets go to Village Gold class. We'll give you a double passer.
Speaker 8: K oh, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: That's right. Chase and enjoying a thanks you.
Speaker 1: Coming in by The Christian O'Connell Show podcast