Speaker 1: Laura and come on in. Hello everyone, Hi, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Happy Friday.
Speaker 3: Do you guys think that I look more glowy or my skin is tort or I look healthier?
Speaker 2: No? Nope, No, you.
Speaker 4: Want us to say yes, Brick a trick question, Brick, what have you done?
Speaker 3: I've been on my sauna ice bath little, I'm in that era. I'm on my ice bath journey to see like how long I can get to.
Speaker 4: Me how you've been doing it for? Because I don't think it's instantaneous. What's three weeks? Four times a week? Because it opened across the road from my house. So I decide to go and I'm there in two minutes. It's becomes such a fad, hey, like everyone doing their ice bath and doing their infra red sauna.
Speaker 1: People post it and I go, I don't want to watch you in a normal because there's nothing special about it. It's you getting into it. But people just look like.
Speaker 3: Everyone's doing getting into the saunas, and it's predominantly men.
Speaker 5: It's not a single sauna.
Speaker 3: You go into the sauna and it's like ten people can fit in there anyway.
Speaker 1: In one sauna.
Speaker 2: In there and being a guy and in walks Britney Hackley.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm going to come every single day, well the other day.
Speaker 5: With me and a multitude of men.
Speaker 3: But the men come and go right because they come as they do my whole lives.
Speaker 2: They do get my own tyler.
Speaker 3: But they come in for a couple of minutes and they go into their ice bad and so many men come through, and I was like, I'm going to get I just sat in the corner and was quiet. I'm gonna get such an insight into like what men talk about, like with the boys looker room shirt. Anyway, I cannot tell you every It was the most boring thing I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Every single man that came in.
Speaker 3: The new person came in, sat down, looked at the other person that was already in there, and goes, what do you do?
Speaker 5: And a guy goes ten and two? And I was like, what are they talking about?
Speaker 2: Oh, they're talking about the amount of time in the ice bar. Yes, of course they were. They're so competitive. But that's it. Every that is the only thing.
Speaker 3: Six seven different men came in, looked at each other, looked at them sweating, like how many today?
Speaker 5: Well comparing sizes yep, twelve and three.
Speaker 3: That's what it was twelve and three that they did not talk about one other thing except and I was like, this is.
Speaker 1: How do you even enjoy that?
Speaker 4: Because they're so cold they can't their brain cun't. Yeah, they can't take it, like me right now, their brain can't tick over anything else.
Speaker 5: I was like, ten too, I do twenty five and eighteen?
Speaker 1: Do you start making up numbers.
Speaker 5: Yewel that I don't need to fit in? I was like, yeah, ninety four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, four and a half a cup is what I do. God, will you look Gillot, that's all the matters today on the show. Speaking of hot that's a problematic segue. But we're talking playboy, the playboy mansion, Hugh Hefner.
Speaker 4: I mean, we have Crystal Hefner joining us on the show today. And if you don't remember who Crystal Hefner is, she was twenty six years old when she married Hugh Hefner, who at the time was eighty six years old. He's a playboy king, he is He's the absolute playboy tycoon. And this made I mean, it was headline news all across the world. But the reason why we're getting Crystal on is because she's just released a book talking about all of her regrets from that time in the Playboy Mansion and incredibly eye opening.
Speaker 1: All Right, Crystal Heffner joins us here at the pick up around Australia to end the week.
Speaker 5: Hey, I want to talk to you guys about the Playboy Mansion.
Speaker 3: I know that seems a little bit left field, but bear with me. Hugh Hefner, Like, when you think about Hugh Hefner, Mitch, what do you think what comes to your mind?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm as a token Aussie bloke, you know, I love nothing more than a little soft bunny girl. Know they wear the little tails, the cotton butt tail. I know what you mean.
Speaker 4: And you're a bit younger, Mitch, so like I would say, you would have been quite young when it was really really prolific, like when the Playboy Mansion, and like the TV show there was a reality TV show around Playboy when it was like really in the media, it was probably a little bit before your time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I missed the hype. But my thought on the Playboy Mansion is it's always been betrayed to me as cool party epic, Like there's never any.
Speaker 2: Mega celebrities were going to it totally.
Speaker 1: I mean I used to wear Playboy deodorant. I had the Playboy after shave, I had a Playboy Bunny it on a shirt and I had it on socks. I bought into the hype of it.
Speaker 5: Did you ever buy the Playboy magazine?
Speaker 1: Wasn't much there for me. It wasn't really going off for me now.
Speaker 3: I mean I remember, I feel like I was a teenager when it really blew up.
Speaker 2: Right, But you looked at it.
Speaker 3: I don't want to say aspirational in terms of you didn't want to be a Playboy Bunny, but it was aspirational because the parties that they threw were so elaborate, and Hugh would walk in. Hugh was on the front cover of every magazine he created, the Brain, Yeah, he's the owner of Playboy, of the calendars, the TV show, the Mansion, literally everything, and every Hollywood star would go to these parties. You remember seeing Hugh with all these beautiful, keyword, very young women on his arm and one No one ever thought that was strange. Everyone was just like, wow, look at Hugh Hefner's new girlfriend that's sixty years his junior.
Speaker 4: Well at the time, I mean, he was celebrated for it, and I think people more so judged the girl than they ever judged him for it. And it's actually, I think now if you look back on it and you look at it with the twenty twenty four lens, and I think that there's been a lot of media that's come out over the years that makes us scrutinize these periods a little bit better. And so, you know, when when he was in his eighties he had two nineteen year old twins as girlfriends.
Speaker 2: Imagine that happening.
Speaker 4: They were sisters, They were sisters twins, and they were his like number one and two girlfriends for a little while there. And then when Crystal Hefner, who were going to have on the show shortly when she joined the Playboy mansioned she was only twenty years old. It's he really found the broken young birds, like the really young girls who had broken homes, who had issues happening in their lives, and he brought them into this world that seemed like fairy tale. Mate.
Speaker 1: Believe you're right, aren't either? You think in those days we glorified it. But if that happened, why would if there was a reality TV show now where that was happening, It wouldn't make it to edge treads.
Speaker 2: Do you know what we found out?
Speaker 3: So Laura and I spoke with Crystal Hefner, who is Hugh Hefner's widow.
Speaker 2: So they end up getting married.
Speaker 1: And he's died. I forget that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he died.
Speaker 3: And it's very interesting. We're going to find out a little bit about where he's buried and why. It's very, very fascinating. But we spoke with his widow, Crystal Heffner, who was a playboy bunny. She did become the main girlfriend and the wife. She lived with him. It completely changes your perception on everything that you thought about that mansion, about Hugh and about the situation. She was truly fascinating. Yeah, I mean she was sixty years younger than him.
Speaker 1: Yes, so quickly. She was married to him when he passed.
Speaker 2: She was married to him when he passed.
Speaker 1: So she loves the man. Is it a fond we know?
Speaker 4: Talk about that and also I think some of the really sad things she talks about, the regrets that she has and how she views that time now. She talks about it being humiliating, but also something else is and what has not been reported on because she's written an incredible book around it. She talks about the financial abuse that she received, and you know, everyone said she's a gold digger, she's doing it for money, but really she was getting a pittance from him and it wasn't enough to leave, and she was being exploited in these reality TV shows.
Speaker 2: It's shocking when you hear the real story.
Speaker 3: And she did tell us something absolutely fascinating that has to.
Speaker 5: Do with Marilyn Munroe and how Marilyn Munroe.
Speaker 3: Was literally linked to the beginning of Playboy Mansion and how she was abused, and we're going to play that for you next.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: Crystal Hefner joins us on the pickuff after this, Dann Bay.
Speaker 4: We've been talking about the incredible story of Krystal Hefner. So, Crystal Hefner, she was Hugh Hefner's wife, sixty years younger than her. And you're not the play Yeah, if you're not familiar with who Hugh Hefner is, he was the Playboy tycoon. He started and he organized and he ran everything to do with the Playboy.
Speaker 1: The cigar. He had those silk gowns and the sailor's hat. Your captain's hat and all.
Speaker 2: The little bunny is and the little bunny tail.
Speaker 5: It grosses me out now that I think about it, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: I mean, we had the most incredible chat this week on my fun Cut podcast with Crystal Hefner, who is Hugh's widow, and she really lifted the curtain behind some of the I mean, I don't even know how you just like the trauma, the atrocities, like some of the things that she experienced while she was married to him and part of the Playboy Mansion. But one thing that she shared with us I think was so interesting and so many people would not know this about how Hugh Hefner, how he actually got into and how he became famous, how Playboy Mansion started, and it has to do with Marilyn Monroe. So have a listen to this.
Speaker 3: Speaking of financial abuse, talk to us about what hef did to Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 6: Oh, that is hard for me because his whole empire was started with calendar photos of Marilyn Monroe. He bought calendar photos that people heard of but they had never seen of Marilyn Monroe. She was nude, she had no say, she made no money and that created HEF's entire empire, and he paid her nothing. When he was getting old and he was not far from the end of his life, he said, I don't care about my funeral. You know where I want to be buried, And where he wanted to be buried was Westwood Memorial, right next to Marilyn Monroe. He bought the plot in the nineties and Mike, this woman that he exploited, created this whole empire off of this woman, and now she has absolutely no say and whose bones will be lying next to her?
Speaker 3: So he literally just bought photos of her off the internet just that already existed rights.
Speaker 2: The rights to them will not even.
Speaker 5: Right, So I don't think it was rights.
Speaker 3: Back then you could just purchase a photo, so anyone could have used it. But he turned that into nude calendar then made his empire, and she couldn't approve it, couldn't find it, and be didn't get a cent.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he collected enough money from wherever to buy her photos from a calendar company. I think he bought them for seven hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: I mean, no things are changing in this world. But if anyone's familiar with em Rata's story around the photographer who released nude photos of her. It's really farrowing for a lot of young models who do nude photos as part of their you know, when they're getting their books together or they're trying they just want to get seen and noticed in the industry, and so they do what they might think are artistic photos, but they're probably more new than what.
Speaker 2: They thought they were going to be.
Speaker 4: And then the person who owns the royalties to those photos, the rights to those photos, is the photographer.
Speaker 2: It's never the model.
Speaker 4: They sign release forms that sign those things away, and that's what's happened in this instance with Marilyn Monroe. She has no rights to the images, even though the images are of her. The person who took those images has full rights and you can purchase the licensing to distribute it as you would, which just sounds crazy, but it's something that still happens to models today, and it's only if they're educated enough to know otherwise that they can protect themselves.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I just I think of Marilyn Monroe. She, you know, pinup was really big then, and she probably just went and did the shoot for this pin up company and then maybe the photographer convinced her to like take off a little bit. You know, that's happened to me before, where the photographers are like, oh, he moved the strap down a little bit. And you know, I've called all them out since because I'm like, you guys are disgusting. But yeah, her shoe probably went a little bit further than she wanted to. Or you know, she was obviously from a broken home and she was you know, in an orphanage, and she like had to get married out of it to get out of it. And you know, this is obviously a girl who was vulnerable and people took advantage of that.
Speaker 2: And it's sad.
Speaker 1: God, that's wild.
Speaker 3: Isn't it insane that you can completely like take someone's photo, build an empire, basically steal their life, make so much money, not give them a cent, and then demand to be buried next to them.
Speaker 1: Was the product of the times, right, you can't get away with that now. That just it's such a shame that we let that happen. In front of it we all celebrated him. Meanwhile he was abusing all these women.
Speaker 2: Profited off them.
Speaker 4: You know, it's interesting, you guys, remember em Rada a similar thing happened to her with her nud the model stim Radkowski. So she had a photographer taken nude photos of her when she was really young, only like eighteen years old, seventeen years old, first getting into modeling, and then when she became famous, he sold those nude photos and they were only meant to be test shots and she had no right to them. She had no ownership over her digital image. And it's crazy that these things you can be separated from your own photo when you're in it.
Speaker 2: It's just crazy.
Speaker 3: You know what's sad is when you think about Playboy, you associated with Marilyn Monroe, but you had no idea that she didn't choose that, and she was used. Growing up, you always thought that she was a part of it, and you must have assumed that was by choice, rightly, so.
Speaker 1: You'd think she had new photos there. Of course she approved this.
Speaker 3: And to learn that that was completely out of anything that she ever agreed to or had any capacity to do anything about, is absolutely deserted.
Speaker 1: And what a slipe in the face to go. You know what, put me where she's buried, Yeah, put me on top of it.
Speaker 2: Shows what a narcissity is.
Speaker 3: Hey, if you want to hear more to that chat, it's so interesting and Crystal lifts the veil on a lot of different things that happened in that mansion. You can head over to Life Uncut Podcasts and you can just search for Playboy Mansion or Crystal Heffner and the whole chat is there all right.
Speaker 1: Next the show, it is Friday. We do it every week. We want you to share your little win of the week. We're talking like when you go through drive through at Macs and they give you ten nuggets instead of six. That's a little win.
Speaker 2: Oh, it could be a bit bigger than that. That feels like a really little week.
Speaker 5: That was actually my win.
Speaker 2: Was really imagine getting an extra nuggy.
Speaker 1: An extra four.
Speaker 2: Imagine it happened.
Speaker 1: We need your little wins. Thirteen one, I six y five. How is this week being great? We'll give you five hundred bucks at Chemist Square House up for grabs at the pick up call us. Now we are just after your little wins. So we do this every week. It's kind of like a nice way to end the show, isn't it on a Friday?
Speaker 4: Such a feel good way And often, you know, when we think about like the wins. You think about the big things that happen in your life, but this is just nice to kind of focus on those smaller moments.
Speaker 2: Let me give you an example.
Speaker 5: I went to the dog park yesterday.
Speaker 2: Now, any dog.
Speaker 3: Owners will know that there are some very particular bouncy balls that dogs have that are quite expensive, like twenty five dollars.
Speaker 2: They're like this orange ball.
Speaker 3: And there were no dogs at the dog park and someone who obviously lost their ball, so I took it on another man's trash.
Speaker 2: Is someone else's treasure my treasure.
Speaker 1: I was cleaning out my car. I found a scratchy in the side of the bin. Scratched it opened two dollars win on my.
Speaker 2: Way and un scratchy? Who scratchy was it?
Speaker 1: That's it must have been mine?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Was that? Did you buy scratches my car? I can't imagine someone getting in my car with a scratchy falling out of their pocket unless it was from Santilas.
Speaker 2: That well.
Speaker 4: Look, my little win for the week is that my my kids and my husband went away on a cruise. I had my first night sleep through without being woken up by kids, even though I love them so much.
Speaker 2: I'll wait for them till.
Speaker 1: We've got Amelia. On thirteen on I sixty five, hit us with your little windmills.
Speaker 7: I'm celebrating my completion of the dual certificate in Animal Studies that's taken me three years to complete. I'll achieved this despite COVID lockdowns which resulted in no placements, having heard Crovid twice and also having one to do fealty.
Speaker 4: Oh, Amelia, meanly, that's a human massive win.
Speaker 1: That's not a little win, Amelia. So so what is the degree again? One more time? Animal studies?
Speaker 7: You say animal studies. I'm training to manage behaviors in animals, so like being an animal trainer, so helping like the dogs that have behavior.
Speaker 4: As I said, there my bark, Amelia, we need to get you in for Brits Doglight.
Speaker 2: We'll be hiring your first job.
Speaker 1: To me for a second. And Amelia, that is such a little win. Stay there, Patrick, hollo mate, are you you're celebrating a little win? Patty?
Speaker 7: Two little wins for me. First one was on Sunday, celebrated six years with my beautiful partner Monisa. Congratulation, thank you, thank you, appreciate it. And then on Monday, we got the news that our first home purchase has been approve.
Speaker 3: Is so exciting, there's no better feeling like it's so exciting.
Speaker 1: I hope your partner doesn't hear that you're branding it as a little win. I mean, that's a pretty pretty mental it's pretty big.
Speaker 4: That's so exciting. Congratulations.
Speaker 1: It's got the hard hard going to be hard to pick a winner today. They're pretty beautiful. You guys could say yes to that, maybe, yeah, are what's your little win? High?
Speaker 7: But I feel like I've I've lost a bit of a friend this week.
Speaker 6: But I'm also very proud of myself.
Speaker 7: I have dropped off a bag of donations two Vinnis that I've had shing a boot four weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that truly is a little win.
Speaker 4: Everyone knows that feeling of putting a bag of Salvo's clothes into your car and then driving around with them for six months.
Speaker 5: Okay, I have had no joke.
Speaker 3: You've just reminded me because I don't go to the in my car Ever's just have a bag in my car that I have had in there probably for eight months, and I have a bag under my bed ready to go as well. You have just reminded me that I need is dropping in. That's a great one, and I know who I think.
Speaker 1: Let's saying on three one, two three? Are you getting five hundred bucks at chemist home?
Speaker 7: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I'm really atulation.
Speaker 3: I hope that you have a very long and wonderful career with the animals.
Speaker 7: Oh well, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And congrats and all your study. That's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Three years COVID twice, I mean, what a crap. It's tough.
Speaker 2: Studying is tough. Let alone be in COVID.
Speaker 1: We will be back on their Monday. And we got Julia Morrison Robert Irwin in because I'm a celebstard in a week and.
Speaker 5: Oh that's so exciting. I'm so excited to talk to Robert Irwin.
Speaker 2: That's a great night, guys.
Speaker 1: No it's only four pm, but sure.
Speaker 2: I mean we're straight into the weekend. Have a great Saturday, everyone,