Speaker 1: On Flex and Frooms Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. Welcome back to the Flex and Prooms podcast.
Speaker 2: Flex is wearing my pointy demon shoes.
Speaker 1: I've got crops.
Speaker 2: I am trying to find a new alternative to the crocs. I meant to find something.
Speaker 3: You definitely had an in between, Like I think that crocs serve a purpose, but we might have over resourced where they're appropriate.
Speaker 1: You need some options, not you people I do.
Speaker 2: I haven't worn a sneaker and I'm not exaggerating in six months.
Speaker 1: Oh, I wouldn't go that far. We don't need sinkers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but like I haven't want a sneaky to go exercising in six months.
Speaker 1: What does move?
Speaker 3: I would say, what the girlies need to introduce, and by girlies me in flex and rooms.
Speaker 1: I've done my bit.
Speaker 3: But just a casual, a casual shoe that elevates the look. That's not a burkle sock or a croc. Just something like a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 2: Thinking like those cameltoe flats. Yeah, but that's not really mean. It's a bit too melbourne peeled. I would love a little kitten here, like a Milano Blanc. Yeah, there's a really good shop in Paddington, something New Vauxe and it's like a secondhand store. It's got really amazing shoes type in Paddington second hand store. It's on the same road as a place called Salon X so type in Salon x and then it's two doors up free Press. It's a good store, okay, and you will not regret going there. It's giving Sarah jisca pucker carry Let's go Keeter.
Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: Flexi has a habit here on the Flex and Froom Show of trying to convince me that I am, in fact a witch. Now I know what you think, because I think the same thing when you hear which you think of Hermione. It's giving Harry Potter, we're thinking Charmed, one of my favorite movies from the sorry, one of my favorite shows from the early two thousands. All very witchy, the color purple cauldrons, wearing a pointy hat. But in Flex's law, being a witch is a little bit more suburban.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit more stylish, a little bit more pleasant viel.
Speaker 2: In fact, Flex is currently wearing pointy little kitten heels that look a bit witchy, looks like snow white.
Speaker 1: I'm always trying to communicate the correct vibes.
Speaker 2: She's wearing a long maxi skirt with a frilled hem and a black T shirt.
Speaker 3: It's very much witch doctor. It's witch coded for sure. I call for me a witch because I like the word. I don't think we get to use it enough, considering that you know, usually witchery is considered law and fantasy. So yeah, I definitely am witch coded. But I call for me a witch because I like the phrase. I think we don't get to use it enough. But I just think there's a real power in being an intuitive person, a person who is like spiritually aligned, a person who is spiritually aware, but for me in particular, is really in denial about using intuition. Yet we'll just drop random things in, like a family does seances to speak to dead people. And I'm thinking, Okay, if there was anyone who's a witchy, would be you currently practicing it's in your lineage. And also, I just feel like a lot of us would benefit from some kind of spirituality in our lives. Too much of you guys are seeking out critical thinking and doing a poor job at that. So it's a good time to pivot and rely on maybe not your own senses, but from a spiritual power.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm just throwing things out there. Hope faith, I don't know. Huh.
Speaker 2: So, Yes, my family definitely indulges in the dark arts, but it's always from a very amateur perspective, the dark arts. There's no religion in my family, so I guess this is as you say. I think we need more spirituality and not have to be tethered to a union that is part of a church.
Speaker 1: What's it called secular religion? Not all religion associated churches, babe. That's why I said secular religion.
Speaker 3: Anyway, everyone was always talking about church when we say religion. Okay, we have temples, mosques, we have.
Speaker 2: Other I will say, but I do feel like the church is in each easy target.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is I have to stop. I agree. Don't like easy targets. I agree, I agree. Really, I won't go into it and go into it.
Speaker 2: Did you see the other day on the project there was a joke about I won't repeat it, but like it was like a joke about Jesus, and it caused this massive uproar from the community that believe in God. And up until that point, I was flippant with this stuff, like, I you don't think that people are actually religious, Like I don't have.
Speaker 1: That many religious people in my life.
Speaker 2: So I think there's this fallacy that you think, Oh, everyone thinks religion is like, particularly Christianity and Catholicism, seems to be something that people are happy to joke about, whereas we people don't necessarily do it.
Speaker 1: About other religions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why church as opposed to like mosques or other This is a worship I think like joked about on things like South Park.
Speaker 3: Literally, this is totally why I talk about being religious now, because I'm like, you guys have never met a religious person who just like exists and like has also like a flawed belief system that is not just one dimensional. And also I feel as though, like when I used to like do a lot of critical thinking on the internet and like it's fun because I have like belief systems that contradict and yet I have to reconcile what that means for me. And so remember we're having this conversation where I was like, my deal breaker is like I wouldn't date like a really like stringent atheist, Like I can't do it because like it's not even like them, it's me. It's like I can't explain to you that I believe in faith, Like I don't know. I don't know what the equivalent is if you don't have that concept. I'm so sorry. When I get scared, I call my mom and she's like, let me pray for you, and I'm like, this is sick, thank you. I feel better already. I don't know what the equivalent is, what the equivalent is people who don't believe in it. But I will say that there is like so much room in just like general society for like this counter conversation about like how we exist and what we believe in. And so when I use these terms like FRUMI is a witch, I mean like forumy is a very intuitively led person who suppresses it because she doesn't want to have to explain to anyone that she felt something or saw something or said something, because it's like you don't have the words you have to explain yourself.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, let's normalize that. I don't need you to be like I believe in ghosts.
Speaker 3: But I also think there's merit in being like, oh, I experienced something that I can't explain.
Speaker 2: It's like when I said that I googled myself and then I had to give a caveat of why yes, because I don't want to live in my drip. No, but I said a disorder saying. My mum calls me Poppet.
Speaker 1: She Hi, Poppett, are you okay?
Speaker 2: Poppett always on WhatsApp and she says it po pp It.
Speaker 3: Not the best speller, but who cares. The message gets across the.
Speaker 2: Message, you know what I love as well, Like my mum sends me messages and you can hear them in her tone, even though she kind of like I reckon ten years ago, like took a long time to text obviously, and now she's like got it down evolving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I see it in real time.
Speaker 2: It's so it's so sweet, like she's down with the emo, like she understands the emotion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my mom loves a she's in that bebo.
Speaker 2: Last, my mom does like a line on WhatsApp and then enters and does another line. It's quite poetic actually, anyway, she calls me pop up and then the other day, I was like, oh, I'm going to google what does pop it actually mean? Just out of curiosity. The first thing is it's like a British term which means small person, usually a small girl who's really cute, the terms of endearment. What was the second result, which which you can denote a small creature or figure associated with sorcery and witchcraft?
Speaker 1: And I said, Mama knows, Mama knows.
Speaker 3: I just know that for the kind of woman I am, I would have been burnt at the stage couple of years A great you know what I'm saying, because I'm just like, hold on a second part on a second. I believe in the Big Dog. I really really do. But I also know the teachings of the Big Dog were stories and interpretations of the experiences people had with the Big Dog. Now what I know about people flawed, People lie, they make up things, and also how I view something. We could experience the same exact thing and be completely wrong. And what I do think is what we could all benefit from is like a more revised way to view the world. I think it's not helpful that you know, like, let's say I'll speak to like my brother when I'm big brother, And there was this chick I forgot her name, but she had this hang up about how like she was from the farm and I was from the city, so I wouldn't get home, she wouldn't get me. And I'm like, but like, you don't think that outside of your geographical location there are experiences that we could share with one another that would help inform our understanding.
Speaker 1: And she was like, just like no, because you come from the city, therefore you do this.
Speaker 3: Therefore, And I'm like, there is room for the contradictory in a way that I don't think we can appreciate that you can like be really logical, Like I love science, babe.
Speaker 1: I really do. I love Taro.
Speaker 3: Tarot is so connected with the union and philosophy incredible, Like you know, like it can all be connected and it can all exist in the same ecosism because.
Speaker 1: It currently does. It currently does. You don't have to like go too.
Speaker 3: Far outside of your belief syst to be like, wait a second, this could exist, This could be real. So I call you which because it's like the most like aggressively salacious way to thrust you into the possibility. I mean, interesting, Tara, you know what I'm gonna say you can be like, huh, I'm not a witch obviously, but wait a second, Like I trusted my guy yesterday, I'm intuitive well.
Speaker 1: Very quickly.
Speaker 2: For my birthday, I've asked my parents to get me a session with a psyching.
Speaker 1: There it is, and it's a friend of ours.
Speaker 2: FLEXI recommended her to me a while ago, and she only does phone readings.
Speaker 1: Though, Is that sus I even like that? You don't I like that? Okay, I'm gonna go with her.
Speaker 3: Because there's something about like being in person that fakes intimacy and I hate that.
Speaker 2: And you think she'll still be able to catch a vibe just from my voice?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because I think sometimes in person they start putting things together by the way you look, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, she said she could do this week, so get into it. Maybe on maybe tomorrow. I'll bring it in if.
Speaker 1: You want to. Yeah, true, might be really hectic. Yeah.
Speaker 2: One more funny thing, h Brookie said, no psychic said that my friend's gonna break her arm, and then she did.
Speaker 1: So none of.
Speaker 3: This is why I believe in the power of the tongue. You can't just go saying shit, I'm always like, don't say that, Wait, say that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that. A baby's crossing people. This is Flex and Rooms on Kata today.
Speaker 3: We're going to discuss whether or not we are shills for Zuckerberg by discussing targeted ads. And I know they happen on all platforms, but in particular Instagram. You know, there was a second there when the Internet was like, we hate targeted ads. We don't want to see these things were meant to buy. And personally I have thoughts, as I always do, but we have a listener that has even more thoughts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, got a flickx Frooms and Bricky. I wanted to see your thoughts, hear your thoughts about targeted ads and should we stop bagging them?
Speaker 1: And now they really lack a bad thing.
Speaker 4: For instance, I've kind of used them to my advantage and moving over here to Australia, I needed some sheets, so I'm on target myers it is if that's how you say it, bed bath and beyond looking at all the sheets so that they can target my Instagram ads and my email with discounts.
Speaker 1: I'm getting the discounts.
Speaker 2: I'm not a.
Speaker 4: Chump walking into the first store I see buying the first set of sheets, and I got a good bargain. Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you so much. Massive fan.
Speaker 1: Obsessed with that.
Speaker 2: And look Haggard's yacksay and it was kind of like middle of the road between New Zealand and Australia. She has some Australian twangs, but she was clearly from New Zealand.
Speaker 1: So targeted ads.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, there was a point in time everyone's like, this is so terrible. I just like this a lot. And the reason why I get frustrated with that kind of rhetoric is that the Internet didn't come with any rules. How it's devolved is partly due to how we use it right.
Speaker 2: It also didn't come like we need to remember that there's a reason why we don't pay for certain aps, as you would.
Speaker 3: Say, yeah, what's the reason for me? Because we are the product one hundred percent. And also you got to like get out of you You gotta like take a step out of your naive brain. People aren't investing millions or tillions of dollars into social media apps so you can have everything you want. There needs to be a return on their investment, and a lot of cases, that's your data, and in exchange for your data, you get someone telling you giving you options for this thing that you already thought you needed.
Speaker 2: Literally, I mean, there's some target ads that I don't want, like what I'm start get in the ele of it ads?
Speaker 1: What's ell of it? That pregnancy tablet makes your baby strong? What's your issue with that?
Speaker 3: Legedly because one would say on this podcast alone, you've mentioned I would say ten times when I turn thirty, I become a mom. When I turn thirty and become a mom, and what are you creeping at?
Speaker 1: I've never said that. I've never you have.
Speaker 3: I'm going to become a mom. So I'm going to do this. I'm going to move to Melbourne. I'm gonna buy a house, become a mom. You've been putting it out there. The data doesn't come from anywhere. It came from you.
Speaker 2: And look if it doesn't happen, just know it's because I decided I didn't want it for no other reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very like two thousand.
Speaker 2: And thirteen thing to say that you hate targeted ads.
Speaker 1: It's definitely creepy.
Speaker 2: Like before, I think still social media platforms aren't honest about how they gather our data.
Speaker 1: You know, we had to have movies Like I.
Speaker 3: Mean, do you read your privacy policy? Do you read your terms and conditions?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: But that's not what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But like that it's but like it's there, you know, like every time you don't use that, it's there in legalies.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like I need I need a oh itchy leg I need a really beginner's guy, dummy thing of how it's going to use our data. Like what was that The Social Problem, the Social Experient?
Speaker 1: What was that movie the Social Network? The Social No?
Speaker 2: No, no, it was that movie about the dangers of social media. What was it the Social Nah? Anyway, someone who's listening will know exactly what I'm talking about. We needed something like that to know what they're doing without data, even with TikTok. Don't want to be alarmist, but when I was signing up, did I know that they're going to be watching my literal face?
Speaker 1: But now you have that information and then what oh yeah, I'm still going on.
Speaker 3: But I think also that's the issue, Like I feel like people are really in denial about what they do with the information they have access to.
Speaker 1: You know, like there takes.
Speaker 3: I feel like the reason why we get into these spaces we're like we hate these things that we're gonna revolt is that we are very like naive about just the way that industries and corporations work. Right, Like what motivation does some random guy have to build an app?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, well, Instagram started because this guy wanted a way to visually represent locations he had been to. So he's like wanted to go to a cool restaurant show like show himself or other people that he had this really great VOGARRIGATONI Facebook, Instagram. Oh okay, yeah, and that's how it evolves. Now, why would an app that starts this way turn into an app that gives you the option to shop and message and whatever. You know, it's like, we don't want to do any of the high level thinking when it comes to our interacting. Yet suddenly the big brains come out when you're like, wait a second, how did they know?
Speaker 1: How did they know this?
Speaker 3: It's just funny how And it's like every day you get on this app and you give this these people unsolicited information with no consideration about where it's gone. You're not private you're like, hey, I'm tagging my location, I'm going here, I'm with these people at this time. It's like, even if it wasn't, even if they weren't using our metadata and our clicks and all these things that determine who we were and what ads we were being served. We give so much information anyway without consideration that I think, like that could be that could be a bigger topic of discussion as well.
Speaker 1: And like ads, no ads, it is what it is.
Speaker 2: I think I've said this before how someone one said to me my old job. Facebook is like the biggest world survey ever created and we don't know we're a part of it.
Speaker 1: Survey like a census.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's like every day we're doing a survey for these brands, these things. Yeah, I think we're just having fun. No, you're filling out a survey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're creating these really intricate character profiles of who we are at any given point. And being like this is so crazy how they know us. And it's like, well, you've been dedicated to like filling in again this survey for the last ten, fifteen year of your life.
Speaker 1: Of course they know you.
Speaker 3: A Oh, anyway, I have no hate towards target it ads.
Speaker 1: I would say I would like them to be a bit more varied.
Speaker 3: You know, I would like to you to dig deeper into my data and get me things that I don't know I'm seeking as well.
Speaker 1: And then also I think like.
Speaker 3: TikTok in particular has this habit of like showing me things they know I will like, show me things you're not sure I'll like so I can get like some new data. I'm seeing the same stuff every day. I type in one video about through me Satin return My whole feet is about Saturn return it. Yeah, but anyway, more rants coming up.
Speaker 1: Flex and rooms on kata back with.
Speaker 3: A highly requested moral dilemma. These ones come straight from my brain. The frontal lobe, prefrontal, both of them are developed. I'm telling you the cranium that's what it needs to do, and.
Speaker 2: Very quickly, because I know this is being recorded on a video device. You just did your chapstick and you've put it above your lip line. Yeah, is this a way to bring the cupids bow out? No?
Speaker 1: I just need it all moisturized.
Speaker 3: You don't get like all of that, like it's like a multizing the skin, like all of it not just a lip I need to feel hydrated.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: Imagine you or your friends are away for like a staycation, right, you pay for it, and if you book it, you pay for everyone like gives you the money, and you also decide, like on the first night, you're like, I actually want to cook for everyone as well. It'd be like a really nice thing homemaker vibe. Now, what happens is that for some reason everyone gets food poisoning. You don't know what it could have been, but like, people are vomiting, shitting, they've got gas stro it's game over. What also happens because of that is that people start vomiting, like on the couches, on the floor, it's next level. By the end of the trip, you clean what you can, but obviously damage has been done. You get a message from the homeowner who's like, hey, you need to pay like a seven hundred oar cleaning fee to get out these stains. The question is who pays that seven hundred Is it you the person who booked the airbnb and cooked, Like, is it your fault or do you split that or everyone who is involved all the vomitors, Like do you have to shoulder that?
Speaker 1: If you Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my spidery sensors say that they definitely gave them food poisoning.
Speaker 3: But accidentally, like it could have been one of those things where it's like, oh my god, let's make a chicken schnitzel. But then like you know, the chicken was in the coal's bag all day. Oh, they didn't go into the fruit, and you're like, ah, it's fine, Like it's kind of cool in the house, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You know, it's so unfortunate, but I think you can vomit on places that aren't couches. So I would say that just to kind of like alleviate any kind of suffering from any party. Everybody puts in the same amount of money.
Speaker 1: Heck, what do you reckon? I can't even imagine it happening. Can you imagine?
Speaker 3: Be like someone's cooked for you, giving your food poisoning, and then they're.
Speaker 1: Coming for a check outwards?
Speaker 3: Like, hey, if you could just transit one n ninety two, that's just what it's come to, where you're like, you tried to kill me. I just think if you cooked the food, I think you would know if it was like a minor oversight or if it's just like I don't know what happened. Like you guys are sensitive stomachs, because if you if you know in your heart of heart and it's your fault, like there was an oversight that could have been avoided, you gotta cop it and just like make it runs life easier because who goes on a staycation expects to get gas stro the whole time?
Speaker 1: It was avoidable.
Speaker 3: But depending like you said on what, like where you vomited, if it was also avoidable, like if you projectiled onto the fabric couch when you could have done it on the tile floor.
Speaker 1: I feel like you can cover a little bit of my jack.
Speaker 2: Personally, I believe in vomiting in sinks and not toilets.
Speaker 3: No, now you have done that before. We do have the photo evidence, but it's got to do a toy. I don't vomit to terrible every morning when I'm brushing my tongue, I'm like, every morning, never vomited.
Speaker 1: No, I don't vomit, but I suffer. Have you ever vomited?
Speaker 3: I have a vivid memory of being in primary school and eating tinned pineapple and sausage roll on a hot day and then coming home projectile vomiting like.
Speaker 1: I've never protected though. She said, poor baby. I said, mummy homes. She said, what did you eat? I don know the evidence? Was there a chunks this sausage come literally a good one? What the more dilemma? That actually was good? That was that was our layed. If you will, thank you you've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast. For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.