Speaker 1: High Heart podcasts, hear more Kiss Podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Good Pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 3: Bady your work, our windows down, that's my world, reason the dust only good tabs all down. I've done much now, but yeah, I know I'll big get and what I want.
Speaker 2: It don't matter where. This is the pickup.
Speaker 1: Hi, guys, you're listening to the Pickup with Britt Hockey and Laura Burn. Happy Monday, Happy Monday? Is everyone still in school holidays?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't have kids. I don't know what ways up now?
Speaker 1: Some states have finished. I think it's Yeah, it's all different across Australia.
Speaker 4: So just to be clear, you ask the question and then answer the question.
Speaker 2: I think I forgot anyway.
Speaker 1: Look, hey, actually I did read something before we get into all of the really important things that are happening on this show. You know how people say that money doesn't buy happiness. Yeah, apparently that's a croc and a of bs and the reason for that. No, there was a psychology study that came out of more than five thousand millionaires and it found that people with more wealth are indeed happier in life. And also they found that people who hurt their money rather than inherited it are also more happy.
Speaker 4: That doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 2: Well, it makes life easy, I think why I.
Speaker 5: Think they're saying should be money doesn't guarantee happiness. Not it doesn't bring happiness, because we know it definitely can't.
Speaker 4: But it doesn't guarantee it.
Speaker 1: But don't they say you'd be rather be sad on a yacht than Yeah?
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the quotes is.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I need to talk to you about something that has been plaguing my relationship.
Speaker 5: Well, lucky we are together now on a radio show then.
Speaker 4: We talked, oh my god, what are you doing about?
Speaker 1: So we've all heard of like the man look cute. We all make jokes about it, men who can't find things in the house.
Speaker 4: Like you've had a man's look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've had a man's look.
Speaker 1: You know, you tell someone exactly where it is and then they can't find it. And it's the quote is it's a man's look. This has become a real point of contention in my relationship with Matt, and I don't know whether it's getting progressively worse, whether he's I don't know, maybe the testosterone is increasing in him and therefore he just can't find things anymore. But it is something that we deal with frequently, to the point where I feel as though I could not be more specific about where I tell him something is, and he will walk downstairs, wander around looking at the ceiling, and then say, oh, I can't find it, can't find it.
Speaker 5: It must be bad too, because you're bad. So if he's, if he's worse than you like, because in our relationship, you're like, have you seen my such and such? And if you're guiding him, then, like the both of you, it's there's problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where are our kids?
Speaker 4: Has anyone seen how many kids we have?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 2: That's why we're having another one. Just replace him because you've lost the other one. She'll show up.
Speaker 1: She's under lowed, no speaking, Okay, so we're putting us puting lot. The girls to bed the other night, and Lola specifically has a drink bottle, you know that she has in bed with her when she goes to sleep. They both do, but they're usually always in their beds. Anyway, I'd brought them downstairs and I had washed them, and so i'd put them away instead of taking them back upstairs and just putting them next to their bed. I called out to Matt and I was like, babe, can you get Lola's drink bottle.
Speaker 2: He's like I can't find it. And I was like, okay, wells as.
Speaker 1: He sits on the lounge literally literally, and I was like, it's in the cupboard where the drink bottles are.
Speaker 2: We have this one cupboard in our house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, because we have so many drink bottles. He's got a million drink bottles for his body, protein shakes or everything.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's just full of drink bottles, nothing else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everyone has that cupboard.
Speaker 1: And I was like, it's in the drink bottle cupboard. I hear nothing for a second, can't find it. And I was like, okay, well, why don't you just grab one of the other drinks it is in there, grab one of the other drink bottles. I know that there's five kid appropriate drink bottles in there. No, there's no drink bottles in here. And I was like, I'm sorry, are you telling me that there is not a single drink bottle.
Speaker 4: In the drink bottle in a.
Speaker 1: Drink bottle cupboard, which I just restocked, and he was like, yeah, can't find it.
Speaker 2: Okay. I was like, and this is just what you do, right, you go?
Speaker 5: If I walk downstairs, you know it's bad, child, But you know it's bad if you start with.
Speaker 1: May so I do. I walk downstairs, open the drink bottle cupboard full to the brim of drink bottles, right in front of five kids drink bottles. My husband turns around and says to me, oh, I didn't know they were in that cupboard. Sorry, you've lived in the house for two years. We mutually live in this house. This is the cupboard that has always held all of that. And now I realize the reason why he keeps buying more friggin drink bottles is because he didn't know that. He thought he was losing them, and he didn't realize they were just going into a cupboard.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. You don't live in the Royal Palace. The kitchen's not that big.
Speaker 2: He could have figured it out.
Speaker 4: I know I'm calling it. I'm going to use the term weaponized in competence.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I mean, let's not let's not sorry big terms around that some people might not know the meaning to.
Speaker 4: You can tell what I've learned something new, I will drop it.
Speaker 1: Matt said, You know, I might have had a man's look. He's like, but I really try this time. I thought I was looking in the right cupboard.
Speaker 2: Rubbish. And I think that.
Speaker 1: There has to be more to this, because it can't just be weaponized in competence.
Speaker 2: Men out there.
Speaker 1: Surely they're just as capable at looking for things as their female counterpart.
Speaker 4: Oh, they're lazy and they're not as smart.
Speaker 1: It's all the men in the car turning over to listen to.
Speaker 2: I don't know who else is on the afternoons.
Speaker 1: No, okay, look, there's minimal research on this topic, which might come as a surprise, But there is a theory. It's called the hunter gatherer hypothesis. So this is what it says. Some researchers suggest that men inherently struggle to find things more than women. However, some researchers suggest that men's brains might be more adept at identifying distant, rapidly moving objects like prey, while women's brains are better at recognizing nearby static objects like berries and household items.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 5: Because we have lost me at prey, do you murner out?
Speaker 1: They're catching balls and women are catching drink bottles.
Speaker 5: I mean that's literally what my husband does is gold key by catches balls.
Speaker 4: Okay, here's my first thought.
Speaker 5: Why the hell are we doing research studies on why men can't find stuff when we haven't done them on endometriosis, we haven't done them on menopause, we haven't done them most I'm all for this.
Speaker 2: I think the studies need to be done. Come back to me, come back to me.
Speaker 5: We've done research on metapause that we could talk about why men can't find stuff.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've made this very heterosexual. But what about if you're in a same sex What if it's two men they never find anything but grace. You're in a same sex relationship, surely there's someone in your household who just can't find anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I suck at looking for things, and my partner's like, if I find it in three seconds, I'll be so mad.
Speaker 5: That's an empty threat, because you know you are mad. Nah, but you win them over, and I know you would to you about your eyelids.
Speaker 1: I'm very lovable, self proclaimed anyway, all.
Speaker 5: Right, what I'm about to tell you all is going to make you feel gross, Your skin is going to crawl, you are going to maybe want to burn your house down.
Speaker 2: Don't do that.
Speaker 4: There is a doctor that has come out and revealed.
Speaker 5: The everyday household items that are dirtier than your toilet seat. And now this article is being red and shared so many times, but I'm pretty sure it's because of how hot the doctor is, which has nothing to do with it. But I'm going to get a bit sciensy here for a minute. He talks abut about these things in units of c f us, which is colony forming units. Now, that is how they see how dirty something is. It's bacteria per square inch. Before we get into a list though, and rattle that off.
Speaker 1: The only thing that I have been told that's more dirty than a toilet is money. That's like have you heard that old wives tail? That's money that ever lives tale Every single dollar coin or like coins or notes or whatever have actual poop particles on them.
Speaker 5: Well, I've also heard, if I've got a few other ones, the door handle of the toilet is the worst than the truth.
Speaker 2: You don't wash your hands, what touches the toilet seat? Guy?
Speaker 4: Maybe okay, don't answer that. My brain was going on.
Speaker 1: Und depends on if a man is sat down to do a pooh, because then it's more things to touch on the toilet seat.
Speaker 2: Usually.
Speaker 4: I've also heard a rumor that toilet.
Speaker 1: Yes, you've got to tuck it in my Okay, my husband talking into this show, he'll be thrilled.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's get back and try so to give you context, because we want to base it off this. A toilet seat has fifty cfuskenty forming units. That's the bacteria. So we're going with fifty bits of bacteria. Now, listen to this. A TV remote you sit down at night, one hand in the popcorn, then you touch the TV remote that has five thousand CFUs, So that's one hundred times dirtier than your toilet seat.
Speaker 2: And it's discussing.
Speaker 4: Okay, you think that's bad.
Speaker 5: No, strap in cutting board can have up to ten thousand CFUs. That makes it two hundred times dirty.
Speaker 2: I can believe this one though.
Speaker 1: And I also wonder, is like plastic chopping boards or wooden chopping boards worse, because wouldn't it can't be good?
Speaker 4: Wooden harbor is more bacteria.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's soaksen and then just sits in there, and then every so often you give it a bit of a wash, and there's your chicken for three days.
Speaker 4: This one I feel like we know, but this is discussing.
Speaker 5: It makes me want to go get some bacterial wipes and wipe it down now. But your mobile phone twenty five thousand cf.
Speaker 1: You poos surely, surely though, your mobile phone is only dirtier if you're someone who doesn't wash your hands, because if you're the only person handling your phone, it's because it's everywhere other people put their hand on a surface, the phone goes on the surface, then it goes onto your hand. It's like it transfers off every But then your hands would have more dirt on them than a toilet seat because they're touching.
Speaker 2: It's your hands they do.
Speaker 5: I don't have the Poohs stats on that one, But then your hands, God forbid.
Speaker 2: Let's stick around. That's going to be our next week's show.
Speaker 4: But do you want to know what the two highest ones were?
Speaker 5: A pillowcase If you're not washing your pillowcase weekly, which I reckon most people listening, I don't think people are doing it weekly, maybe bi weekly.
Speaker 2: Like bi weekly is twice.
Speaker 4: I mean fortunately, yeah, thank you for that.
Speaker 5: Bi weekly you're killing it. Bi weekly, You're good. But a pillow case if left unwashed for one week, three million poos and then if we move on to the killer, the number one. So you need to go home and throw these out. Single use your kitchen sponge. What you think you were wiping bacteria with to clean it is actually spreading it.
Speaker 4: Ten millions sea if you poos?
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 1: Though, I listened to this and yeah, look horror terrorizing.
Speaker 2: I'm so scattered the germs. I'm not a very germy.
Speaker 1: Person, as in, like, I don't care about germs as much as we do.
Speaker 2: You sick every week, but I'm not sick. That's my point.
Speaker 1: My point is is that I think you need germs to be able to have some sort of immunity. I have been ten thousand poop particles. No, but I think we worry a bit too much about germs. Like I'm the mom that when I drop back in the day, my kids are not with dummies anymore, but dummy drops.
Speaker 2: On the ground, Pick up the dummy, wipe it on.
Speaker 1: Your shirt, shove it back, and the kid she's fine.
Speaker 4: I look I eat off the floor all the time. It's fine.
Speaker 5: I'm not a germy person. I worked in a hospital for thirteen years. I have picked up everything, and I have a really great immunity. But there's something about knowing that you are spreading ten thousand poops seaf yous across your bench when you're wiping it.
Speaker 4: That's just not cool.
Speaker 1: I think there's some things we need to learn from it. I think, no, throw it out. I agree. And just because it's soap doesn't mean it's clean.
Speaker 2: I will never.
Speaker 4: Forget just because it's cold. I mean, raining doesn't mean no.
Speaker 2: I will never.
Speaker 1: Forget being in a public toilet once I was like maybe thirteen years old. It's a memory that stuck with me forever. And I went to wash my hand. There was a bar It was a bar soap that was sitting in this public toilet. You know when the bar soap's like old and dried, and it's got like the crack in it, and it's it's just got the cracks in it because it's so dry, and the cracks are kind of like black in between the cracks. The soap was there. This old lady was in the in the bathroom she was washing her hands as well, and she was just with water. And she turned around to me as I went to reach it, and she goes, Darling.
Speaker 2: Just because it's soap doesn't make it clean.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 1: And I looked at that soap and I was like, I'm gonna that's a wise, wise woman right there.
Speaker 2: And I've kept that lesson my whole life.
Speaker 4: But say, and I kept that soap, I've still got it.
Speaker 5: There's a woman named Frankie. She's a TikToker, thirty five thousand followers. She posts a lot, but she's heavily pregnant, and she's posted a video that's gone bonkers started a pretty heated debate online. She recently was on a train that was absolutely packed to the brim, like people sitting everywhere, people standing in the middle of the train, and she herself was standing. In this video, she's sort of filmed herself standing up, heavily pregnant, filmed around, shown everyone sitting down, and she just said chivalry for pregnant women doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 4: I still can't believe not one person.
Speaker 5: Even offered, as in even offered to stand up so she could sit down, which the.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous thing about this is like usually on trains there's usually a separate part of seats which are for people who are have you no poor mobility or needs assistance or whatever, like, there's seats there that people know to get up from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think about when I.
Speaker 5: Grew up, it was always taught if I was ever in a position like that, that you would always stand up and offer your seat to elderly, somebody disadvantaged or pregnant women like that was just what I learned as a child, and I thought that was a really standard thing. But some of the comments in this TikTok are so disgusting. I want to read you a few Why is your pregnancy anyone else's issue? Why is your pregnancy my problem? I hate this societal expectation. I mean, it was your choice to get pregnant, not theirs. Hey, you wanted a quality, you got equality, y'all.
Speaker 4: They're American. I'm sorry I really went.
Speaker 2: Into that, y'all.
Speaker 5: What is with that I'm a mother, I'm more important than you bowed down to me? Attitude and things like I don't care that you're pregnant. I care that I've had a long day, my back end feet hurt, blah blah blah, like this is just the theme that was on this TikTok, and I was actually disgusting, you know what.
Speaker 1: Look I mean, I had something happened to me when I had Lola. She was only little and she was in the car. It was Christmas time. We were going into the shopping center. And you know how like in Big West Fields they always have like the pram sections.
Speaker 4: So but that's not even Big Westfields.
Speaker 5: Every shopping center now, even the little ones have like parking with prams.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it's parking prams.
Speaker 1: It's just an area where you can, you know, easy duck in if you're a mom. Anyway, it was Christmas time, it was hell busy, and I had already had my indicator, and I was waiting to go into this parking spot which was right in the prams. And as I was waiting to go into the parking spot, someone else had pulled up, so they kind of blocked me from going in, which meant that this woman took advantage of it, and she's snuck in and took my space. Didn't have a kid, took my space, and I wound down my window and I was like, dude, come on, I've got a baby in the car. She's been screaming for twenty minutes. We've been driving around this car park. And she yelled out the window, it's your choice. You decided to have kids.
Speaker 5: That grimes my geeze Like I would have been absolutely furious.
Speaker 2: Oh I did.
Speaker 1: I was like, I wish your mother didn't have any kids.
Speaker 2: And then I was like, oh my god, I need to stop.
Speaker 4: This happened to my sister recently.
Speaker 5: So I was over visiting my fiance in Italy a couple of weeks ago, and my sister was.
Speaker 4: Overseas as well.
Speaker 5: She's got a at the time, like six month old baby, and my sister was on the train, had to travel two and a half hours to where we were. The train was packed like sardines, right, and so Sherry's standing up holding this baby because there's no room to put her in a pram for two and a half hours. Fine, not fine, well no, but Sherry, that's what Sherry said.
Speaker 4: Write her words.
Speaker 5: She's like, fine, I get it. Did I choose to have a baby. Yeah, I'm happy to stand up. I'm not going to ask anyone to sit down.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 5: But then she had to breastfeed. No one moved, no one offered. I've seen the pictures. She's sitting on the ground in a corner with all these men standing over a bit, not for any other reason. Then at Sardine's right, it's just packed standing over a while she's trying to breastfeed a baby and protect it from being like bumped by luggage and bumped by people. And she's like, people were looking at me on the ground in my situation, and not one person offered. And I found that so sad, And she was like, I didn't want them to give up my seat for the rest of the trip. I'd obviously been standing for an hour. I just wanted somewhere safe to breastfeed for ten minutes. Then I would have gotten back up, but everyone just looked at her blatantly the I and looked away, And I thought, what kind of a world of we living in where there is not one person on that train that would see someone in a more vulnerable position and offered to help.
Speaker 1: I mean, and also we can sit here and be like, yes, of course, someone decides to have kids.
Speaker 2: Guess what, someone decided to have you.
Speaker 5: Totally at the end of the way, your mom to be able to sit down.
Speaker 1: Your mom was pregnant once upon a time too, I don't know. I read these and apart from that woman who yelled at me in a car park one time, it was Christmas and she was just full of holidays here, I feel like most people are good people. Like I've not had experiences where people haven't been helpful. I've had loads of experiences where I couldn't get a pram up the stairs and someone stop and help me carry the pram or carry things because I had too much. Like I would say, overwhelmingly, my experiences have been good, and so it's really sad to me to hear it specifically Sherry, who's a new mum who experienced something like that.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's the difference, right.
Speaker 5: They're the quick little things that not really inconvenient to anyone. But people have this really weird attachment to their seats when it involves giving.
Speaker 4: Up a seat for something.
Speaker 5: But you, guys, remember, if you're listening right now, a woman carrying a baby's like they're running a marathon every single day, So throw them a bone, give them a seat, all right.
Speaker 2: Well, look that's it from us, guys,