Speaker 1: On Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: Flex and Frooms, this is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. Happy Thursday, favorite day of the week or the smartest way to commit to crime. FLEXI is bringing that to the table. Do with that Voluebill, Let's come out next. You're with Flex and Frooms. Let's go. You're listening to Flex and Frooms on Kaita.
Speaker 1: It's time for Flexies to big question. Earlier in the week, I asked, what are some good qualities you have that actually work against you? Just wanting to explore what you think, why you think, in the way you think it. But I just think it's interesting to like consider. We put a box on our Instagram story. We've got a ton of responses. We definitely can't go through them all, but to begin, here are some of my favorites. These are all the ways that somebody's good qualities have worked against them. This person says, I have the opposite of arresting bitch face. I've got a resting, smiley face, and strangers always think I like them or have time for them. I am laid back and chill, but people think it means I won't pipe up when they do me wrong. Huge This person says, I can be too patient and too reliable, which I can imagine that would go poorly really quickly. Being extremely logical, Yeah, that's a tricky one because everybody knows that, like some situations core for illogical behavior, just to be silly or to use your bias and not rely on the facts. This person says looking younger than they are, and I was like, what's the negative? But I guess being infantilized constantly or not taken seriously would get really annoying, really really really quickly. So I get it. And the last one, I really feel for you. It's probably why I don't do marketplace anymore. This person says, I'm too trusting. I am the recent victim of a Facebook marketplace scam. Unfortunately, it happens to people, good people all around the world at far too many what's the phrase I'm looking for, I'm not quite sure. Anyway, it happens far too often. It's not fair. I'm really sorry for that. If you love flexi's big question. We having you on every Tuesday, and we reveal the results every Thursday. So I implore you to listen and get involved and also ask these questions to your nearest and dearest. The whole point is for you to understand yourself and the people that you love, and so why not start today?
Speaker 2: As you know FLIXI I'm a fan of a book. I am more into the nonfiction genre.
Speaker 1: I like to learn, which is a great quality being into nonfiction, because there's so much good stuff in books, Like we literally could learn everything in the world if we all just read the books that they're written in.
Speaker 2: Why is it that it's such an enjoyable activity and yet, like so many things, as a hump to get over because the concept of reading a book on like as homework. But then when I'm in bed reading a book, it gets me to sleep. It's very enjoyable.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Clementine Ford, one of my favorite feminist activists, author's broadcasters, has a new book out. It's called I Don't. She's also the author of Boys Will We Boys? And How We Love? I Think is the other one? And there's another one, or Fight Like a Girl or Fantastic Books, incisive, funny, real zingers in every single line. The new book I Don't is a case against marriage. I'm loving it. I'm not gonna lie. I'm probably about fifty pages in.
Speaker 1: That's a lot. What stood out to you is anything that kind of like not not a fact or anything, but just the way that it's written or like any information where kind like oh, I wouldn't have thought about that, but now that we're here, I'm considering it.
Speaker 2: It's like dense, like every single page is like five points and I'm like, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah yeah. She's talking a lot about like the Catholic Church and marriage, about Eve coming from the roob of Adam. She like riffs on that quite funnily. I just think it's like really funnily written. It's very easy to consume, but also has you sitting going oh yeah, yeah, yeah, like gets you fired up and kind of like feels like a positive way, Like I'm the things that she's saying are kind of depressing because it's a depressing reality, but it's also fires you up to like consider your own life. Like I'm reading it thinking, oh, like I'm glad that I might never get married, or it's convinced you of that so far, just that there is even that someone's talking about it, and it's not shameful, like she talks about the whole like women with cats kind of stereotype. And I feel like when you're like approaching thirty, when you're a kid, you think, oh my god, by the time i'm thirty, I'm going to be married. I'm going to have all these things. But then for someone to like outline all the realities of what marriage can actually look like for me more, the thing that I've gotten out of it so far is the idea that, yeah, this alternate reality in brackets quotes is really fun. Like women who never get married are you know, study show are more happy? Like damn, Okay, Well then maybe this is kind of lit And I think it's really nice to come we talk about in relationships and stuff not coming from a place of lack or not coming from a place of oh my god, I've got to go out with this person because the options are running out and I'm getting older. Like, if you can find a way to let that go as a woman, that's really powerful. I know that's kind of like one oh one you should think like that, But I feel like what a lot of friends, myself included, who sometimes fall into that trap of oh, I've got to like it's gotta wait for someone to pick me. When Clementine is showing me there is really you have other options. Enjoy that time. Anyway, big fan is called I don't a case against marriage. I would like to talk to Clementine Fort about it. Need to gather my thoughts. Of course, read a bit more, but so far, so very good people that i'd recommend it to. If all your friends are getting married and you're not, if you are thinking about getting married but you're not sure, if you're feeling disenfranchised by relationships. Maybe anyway, I don't a case against marriage. It's flexan frooms on cat instead of FLEXI. I have my very own favorite producer, Mikayla. Mikayla Floriano heard on the airwaves. The full name, the full name listen, mcafe. Everybody knows I've wanted a little McDonald's bony forever. Mccafes come through and said, girlies, we want you to talk about mcafe and I really bent down and I said, yes, King, let's go, so celebrating their expertly crafted Bruce made coffes. I've been loving Macca's coffee since they introduced Milk Club Almond milk. That was like I found out when I was driving from Sydney to Melbourne like a year ago, and I stopped over at the Macas somewhere on the Hume Highway and I said, I'll get a coffee please, desperate. Didn't know the had almond milk from Milk Club and.
Speaker 3: I thought, in your brain, chemistry rewine.
Speaker 2: And my one. That's different. Anyway, Mickey, we want to catch up, because every catchup is over coffee. Yes, we know. We've both been watching The Backhams and I just wanted to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I actually had a lot of thoughts. My first thought was being that Victoria went through a lot like David would get a call be like, hey, you need to play from Real Madrid tomorrow. And then he called Vicky and hey we need to go to Spain tomorrow. We're moving you and the kids. And she'd put up with it, and she moved. He'd give her like twenty four hours notice, and he did this every time he moved clubs.
Speaker 2: Oh my word, see I missed that bit. I only watched probably forty minutes of the first episode. All I'm gonna say about the Beckhams is I implore everyone, once you watch the show, and even if you don't type in Ali g Beckhams.
Speaker 1: And they did.
Speaker 2: Have you seen this one? No?
Speaker 1: But I know what.
Speaker 2: I know what ali g is. Oh my god, thank heavens. They were doing like what was it called, like a red nose relief for a charity thing on TV and he interviewed the Beckhams and it's so funny and they take it really well. And that's when I fell in love with Victoria David Beckham.
Speaker 3: Okay, maybe i'll in preparation for our next coffee catch up, huh, because we'll do them weekly, I think, as you should with your nearest and Darras.
Speaker 2: Step in, guys, step in.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll do a little alig compilation. I don't have time to watch holding for me.
Speaker 1: I'll i'll report that.
Speaker 2: Oh babe, you know I love that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll do that for you. I'll do that for you next week, next week.
Speaker 2: Let's see that, honestly. Oh thank you mcafe.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: However you take yours? How do I? How do you take yours?
Speaker 3: Soy, always soy milk. I was an oat girl. I've converted back.
Speaker 2: Sorry for that. Mickey from a summer's morning cool kick to a chilled afternoon pick me up drive through for a barista made ice cold coffee at McCafe. Now that's coffee fit for a nousey.
Speaker 3: Thanks mcavey.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Flex and Rooms on Kita.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about what it would be like to commit a robbery? And I don't mean watching money heist on Netflix and being like I could do that. The steaks are so high. I would come too, because I've thought about that too. But if you really needed to do it, what lengths would you go to? I'm not going to solicit any more information because I do feel like I've got a legal duty of care to not encourage you to commit a crime. However, I was reading about this guy in Poland who has done something that I thought i'd only see in like a Hollywood blockbuster. Twenty two year old guy stood motionless for two hours inside the display of a store until it's time for the stuff to pack up and leave. He would be literally pretended to be a mannequin. So basically he was stealing stuff from a clothing store as well as jeordy from a jewelry stand within a shopping center. And basically he just stood with a bag in his hand, motionless, pretending to be a mannequin, hoping that everybody would leave and that he would just walk out afterwards. I don't think he thought it through because once the doors are locked, how is he going to get out? Not quite sure. But basically he was found out, he was filmed, he was documented. But we have to, I guess, award him for the ingenuity it takes to do something so silly and so brave and not really thought out but powerful. Nonetheless, I respect it.
Speaker 2: I did see that. He like, yeah, we gotta give points for creativity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just gumption points doing stuff because we all have a lot of thoughts like oh what if we did this, and we'll just never do it for obvious reasons, the fear of failing, but also the fear of being criminal. But in this instance, just to see it through. There's something to learn from this pretty beautiful stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm currently reading Jian Yankovic's new book, Just Friends. Have you heard of it?
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 2: So it's a brand new book. It's a debut book. It's about the power of friendships, and it got me thinking, FLEXI, what is something that you've learned from a friendship that you don't think you could have learned in a romantic relationship.
Speaker 1: Pro social behavior that is fueled by love and not manipulation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, drop the mic.
Speaker 1: Pro social behavior is this idea that you do a thing that's good for somebody else for nothing in return, Like you just do it because you want to. So you know, let's say I know that you like eating with a fork and not a spoon, so I make sure that when I serve you dinner there's always a fork and not a spoon. Like, I don't have to do that, but it's just a nice thing to do. You would never probably wouldn't notice or ask, but it's nice. I think in friendships you learn how to be pro social with training, but it's like it comes from your heart. It comes from a want to be good to that person with often very little expectation in return. I mean, you're setting a standard, but you want to do it right. But I think in romantic dynamics you often think you're being pro social when you're being manipulative, Like I'm doing this behavior because I want this in return, or I'm trying to generate a very specific outcome that I feel like I can only get if I do this thing.
Speaker 2: WHOA, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: I would say that I learned how to have hard conversations in friendships more than romantic relationships because with friendships there's less pressure because you've got more than one friend. So then you can learn like because then part of you is like, oh, like you're going to be more willing to be open and honest because you're not thinking, oh, they're going to like think I'm crazy, or like they're gonna think, you know, if I fudge this up, then we're going to break up. Because when it's with your friend, there's more room to kind of talk about that stuff. See how it's how a conflict resolution from my friends beautiful Mickey, you got a name?
Speaker 3: Learning when and how to tell the truth? Oh, that was one beautiful I've been thinking about because I often have to think to myself, is like, is my opinion and what I think serving the other person or is it serving myself? And That's something I've learned like to mitigate as I've gotten older through all my friendships.
Speaker 2: Huge mood, Well, loving the book, Loving my Friends, and love you FLEXI you've.
Speaker 3: Been listening to the Flex and Firms Daily podcast. For more, tune Indicater on dab or stream it on iHeartRadio,