Speaker 1: Sweetie haid my grandma. Everybody. People would pay their fines because I mean, you don't have to. But like, I mean, you don't have to do anything. I think people who choose to be Laura Biding are very virtuous. But yeah, shout out to all of you today. Oh hold on, I'm still talking about people anyway. Today through me tells us about Alf the Sun. The amount of people who recommended that movie to me, I think you're all reading me wrong.
Speaker 2: You would like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to cry period, Like I want a happy cry. I don't want a sad cry. I don't want to I don't want have synthetic, synthesized emotions planted into me by a story that most viewers who watch don't know what happened. Mood anyway, enjoy the episode.
Speaker 2: Bye. This is Flex and Frooms on cater. At times here on the show, we do step into our cultured realm where we take in some not too much. We take in some movies, some books, and we love to give the audience a recommend nation or two. I recently watched a movie. It's a first movie I've watched in ages. Yes, I was in bed all day and so I needed a little bit of picked me up. I was with my mum in Melbourne. We spent the day in bed chillin. Love to do that anyway. Clicking through Binge, I found the movie After Sun. Now, this is a song that won a lot of film festival kind of things.
Speaker 1: I think it was like a sun Dance type of movie.
Speaker 2: Exactly twenty twenty two. I'm pretty sure it came out came out, So I was surprised and delighted when I saw it on Binge. Given Binge is a streaming platform that now has ads, and I've got a thing or two to say about that.
Speaker 1: Does Binge have captions yet?
Speaker 2: Oh? I haven't even tried.
Speaker 1: That's why I dropped off using Binge. They don't do subtitles. What. Yeah, it was a big thing. Is this my Binge?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Like, Binge's actually quite glitchy and la la la, And I was like, okay, let's let's do a bit of let's not do a hard launch. That's really a soft launch.
Speaker 2: Binge is ages old now though. Yeah it's a subsidiary of Fox tells that right. Anyway, I'm a binge gely. It's my favorite. They got sex in the city. I come across After Son and what after Sun is is it's a movie based in the nineteen nineties and also now where it's a man and his daughter. I think this break might have a bit of spoilers, so just turn it down for the next two or three minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be a big dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's still the beauty of the film. It's not one of those films that has like a specific linear kind of like plot, like I'm not gonna lie. After the movie finished, I was doing a bit of googling.
Speaker 1: I think that's the meme with this movie. I don't know much about it, but those who have watched it struggle to say what it's about and struggle to recall what happened.
Speaker 2: I think it's a movie you have to watch twice. But essentially it is about a man and his daughter. It's Paul mescal what's that normal people? And he like he's meant to be thirty one and she's meant to be ten, which I'm glad they said, because he looks our age.
Speaker 1: Which pushing thirty.
Speaker 2: We could have a ten year old, do you realize that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: We could be crazy?
Speaker 2: Imagine it anyway. I thought the film was a really beautiful illustration of what I imagine would be like when you lose someone when you're really young.
Speaker 1: What do you mean lose someone?
Speaker 2: Like someone dies right, that's like a father figure, or like someone that's older, and you're that you're this age where you can't really comprehend what happened. And so what she does is we kind of realize that she's this older woman who's just had a baby, and she's combing through this old footage from the nineteen nineties that she took of her dad. Like you know when you're a kid and you have a cam callder and you're like doing like.
Speaker 1: Diaries, Yeah, bits and pieces.
Speaker 2: My mom was like, this is literally you. And when I have old movies, like at Christmas, I'd go around and like do everyone such an annoying little shit? But Yeah, I thought it was a really beautiful like if I guess if you wanted to empathize with why of that feeling of wanting to know more about someone who died when you're too young to understand it, and did he die it's inferred, it's infared. It's also inferred that he's here, he's struggling from some mental health foibles. So the idea is that, yeah, he passed away from depression, but there was a lot of beautiful Yeah. I just thought it was a beautiful, really intricate look at when you're an adult and you're reflecting on your past as a child and trying to put the pieces together because now she's the age that he was when he passed away. I just thought it was beautifully done, and it really also captured the nostalgia of the late nineties, like being a ninety I'm really trying about it. I'm trying to push it. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's early two thousands and the nineties for you, whereas for me, it's a blur. Like as soon as I say the Naughties, the only thing I think of is is Destiny's Child Soldier music video clip where they've got that wax paint on their face like just and they're wearing camo. That's all I see when you say Naughties. And then if I hold onto the image, I see the Lady Marmalade video clip facts and that is it. Not one movie. I don't know what the streets looked like. I don't know what my thoughts were there's just nothing there for me. I came into sentience, I would say twenty three Wow, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, we couldn't be That's when I started.
Speaker 1: Early onset sunset.
Speaker 2: I've seen enough so yeah, it's called after Sun. Check it out. It's on binge. I think watch it with someone so you can debrief. Otherwise it might be a bit of an isolating experience, but it is what it is.
Speaker 1: If you were single or soon to be single for various reasons, this could be an interesting thing for you to have or no, would you wear a ring to let everyone know you're single? Now we have known of those what are they called those profess ing clatter rings? Is that how you pronounce it? Cla double dagh? Never Scottish Irish. There's like a little heart in two hands. You've seen those rings, you know the ones. So I used to wear those when I was younger, And I remember being eighteen and going to one of those cheap, like three dollar drink kind of bars and meeting enough Irish and Scottish people would be like, oh, you know, you're wearing it the wrong way. That means you're single or taken or whatever. I had no idea, so I just stopped wearing it, But recently I came across this Well, they refer to themselves as a social experiment, right, and they're on a mission to make meeting the love of your life in real life that much easier than apps. And it doesn't involve speed dating. It basically involves you deciding to wear a plastic mint green ring from the company called Pear. Now, when I first came across this brand, I would say about nine months ago. It was my TikTok video and it was zooming in on all these people who are walking down New York City street wearing this green pair ring. Obviously a stunt. People weren't actually wearing it at this time, but their whole idea is that part of the limitations of meeting the love of your life you just can't tell who's single anymore. So if everybody's wearing this ring to single that they're to signal that they're single, that'll be like removing the barrier to entry, and then we don't have to rely on apps anymore. I have my critiques. I won't get into them now, but what I will say is that when I went on the website they're saying, now, the ring is thirty nine dollars for a piece of plastic. It's super ugly, by the bye. When me be honest, it's an ugly plastic silicon ring that looks like it belongs in like a bottle top or something. It's just not cute. It's not fashionable. I don't know anybody who'd really want to wear that and would feel comfortable wearing an ugly ring signal that they're single. It's thirty nine dollars s USD usd USD. And at this point they're saying that they're not selling the ring, but they believe that if you join this social experiment, you are essentially feeding into what will be the single most important thing to happen in modern dating history. They say they if one point two billion singles around the world wore this little green ring on their finger, that we wouldn't need dating apps. And they believe that millions of single people will be wearing this in the future. Would you wear this ring?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not, babes. That's why God gave me a voice. Oh okay, we can say, excuse me, sir, are you single?
Speaker 1: Have you done that? Before?
Speaker 2: You know what I was thinking the other day, I went to I went to a restaurant.
Speaker 1: You'ret this.
Speaker 2: I went to a restaurant. This guy said us, and he was really nice, like a really good vibe, and I consider it like I learned his name and I was like, hey, x, I zed like bye, thanks so much nice? You know, making money, you were giving him hospitality service back. But I was just thinking as you were saying story like damn, I probably should have like asked him, what is he single?
Speaker 1: How would you phrase it? I think it's important to prepare so the next time it happens, you're not practicing.
Speaker 2: Okay. I would have said, hey, so, like how long have you worked here? Oh? Cool?
Speaker 1: Oh no, you sound like every uber driver who asks me too many questions? Is that where you live? Where are you going? And you work away in the city. Why are you asking me this? King? Try again for me please? Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: Cool? So like are you from Sydney? Question? Okay, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: So what's going to happen And what I imagine to be happening is that you're at a table with how many people?
Speaker 2: One other girl?
Speaker 1: Okay? Cool? So what you say the next time it comes over? We need a third party to help us figure out this dating situation. Wait, you're single? Right? Oh my god, there you go. This is so good. This is what you do. Let's say me and you are sitting at a dinner table and we're like, uh, something silly like mentally paying for dates. That's the debate we're having. Bring this third party, okay, Tim, Tim, can you help us figure out who's right in the situation before we give you the question? You're single?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: No, I have a girlfriend? Okay, great, So this is what we were saying, sinking, you know, and then you've you coaxed it out of him, but it's not about him.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Let's go out.
Speaker 2: I'll bring you back to the restaurant. I think, are you across the fact that Channing Tatum and Zorry Cravit's a dating Yes?
Speaker 1: I saw them in that paparazzi shot of him riding like a low profile bike and her somewhere in the shop.
Speaker 2: If you find that not to be the most random couple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like to me, I think most Hollywood couples are quite random. Where are you guys hanging out? Where'd you meet? I understand that, No, I don't because I think in Hollywood everybody would be so over familiar that it would just feel like you were meeting colleagues constantly, constantly, constantly. How are you escalating?
Speaker 2: That? One piques the interest and said how long have you lived in Sydney?
Speaker 1: You hit him with us what high school did you go to?
Speaker 2: Just check and just say, oh cool, mine went there too, and they probably would go to the same high school if we know anything about anything. Anyway, I saw a story a couple of weeks ago of Channing Tatum and Zoe Kravitz supporting a local lemonade stand, allegedly their friend's kids Lemonades kid. It got me feeling nostalgic as per I am wanted to do here on the show, And I thought, first of all, did you ever do a lemonade stand as a kid?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Why do you grimace?
Speaker 1: I thought that was just like American TV fodder, babes.
Speaker 2: I was so like American eyed, like you don't you truly were?
Speaker 1: I mean, I definitely sold chocolates. Oh yeah, we all did that.
Speaker 2: But that's Australiana.
Speaker 1: That's Australiana. But lemonade stand is American TV show movie content. It's not real.
Speaker 2: Tell me, why I get that chocolate box with the caramelica while as malfreda frogs bring it straight in the house. So Dad give me fifty dollars boom, and I eat them all because it would take one day. I'm like, I have anxiety thinking that I have to go around asking people for money.
Speaker 1: Baby Frims. I have too much going on. I have a lot going on, Dad, I really can't get into this right now. Literally me, I'm doing the rounds at church, doing the rounds after school, getting in touch with my local community.
Speaker 2: Why did they make us do that?
Speaker 1: Terrible?
Speaker 2: For what?
Speaker 1: Who? Who was the charity? We're gonna probably eat those words.
Speaker 2: But on the topic of Americanized Australians, I did the lemonade stand.
Speaker 1: Wow, what did you charge?
Speaker 2: Oh hard to say. I'm gonna say fifty cents to one probably a dollar donation.
Speaker 1: Adjusted for inflation. Yeah, and I got coin donation.
Speaker 2: And we live on the most random like road where nobody would stop, so it was not giving, you know, a viable business. We also did go billy carts.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: Billy carts is like a do you know what that is? Caitlin? Yeah, like it's like a little it's like a race car will barrow. No, like it's a little kid sits on it and like you steer it.
Speaker 1: Next.
Speaker 2: Also did trick or treating in two thousand and two that really hit him different. Went down to the local housing development and like walked around.
Speaker 1: And obviously dangerous.
Speaker 2: It was where the expensive houses were.
Speaker 1: Oh got it?
Speaker 2: Anyway, say to sort of say.
Speaker 1: Did you go alone with other kids with parents? How did that work?
Speaker 2: Just my older sister I know obviously did the trick in them treating. She's hanging back waiting for the chocolates.
Speaker 1: I mean, I definitely lived on in I've lived in a child friendly could a sack before, not a colder sack, but a child friendly environment where it wasn't unusual to do trick or treat.
Speaker 2: But we're too old for like when that wasn't a thing like now trick or treating is big in Australia, is it really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Babe, where I live, you've had door knocks? Oh no, because I live in an apartment. But like walking around BONDI yeah, I'm seeing all these little tiny tricks and tricksters. Anyway, really quickly, this is where the lemonade stand originally.
Speaker 1: Oh, we haven't even got that, honestly, at this point, let it go. At this point, let it go. You don't need to know.
Speaker 2: All say is have a little reflection on your childhood. How Americanized were you? Because I think it makes sense why I'm going to New York in a few days, because it's to me, it's the mecha of the world.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, we love TikTok and I've probably go on TikTok once a week for two hours.
Speaker 1: Which I think is so fascinating.
Speaker 2: Do you know why, though, It's because I wouldn't have social media if it wasn't my job. I got Instagram in twenty sixteen, babes.
Speaker 1: But I've said similar, like the only I only started Instagram posting diligently when I knew there was money to be made on it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's on you. I did it for the love of the job, so certainly taking turns here in there. But I realized I don't really go on it because there's no one to see if anyone's commented, because I don't really post on it anyway. Blah blah blah. My favorite TikToker is a chick called better names for you for as in the number. And what she does is she finds a regular name Sam John not regular name. Well, I say what I said by it.
Speaker 1: And Mohammed okay, he takes.
Speaker 2: A name like Mohammed and makes a million different nicknames from it. Oh cute years ago nicknames for Jeremy, You're such Jeremy jeremeter like a meter, like a millimeter, hemispheream Harris, Harris, Pheamy is in the globe.
Speaker 1: Jeremy Cecy, Jenny Mom, Jeremy Cecy, Jenny Mom, Jeremy Cecy Jenny Mom, four friends and one of my mom Jared's.
Speaker 2: And I'll give you one more.
Speaker 1: Jeremy bear me. Okay, this is what frooms humor. The way that you are hacking it and the rest of us are like blink blink, blink, blink blink.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the ones I gotta get it. I swear you'll go and you'll find your name on it. But I thought I would make my own nicknames for you. Flex mummy, and I'm a list, thank you, okay, ready, Flex flex mammy, flex Miami. Yeah, let's try and tested flex seeds, ye fax and science.
Speaker 1: We're getting really far away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a bad one. I'll bring it back. Lexi ah fax and science.
Speaker 1: We already did facts and science. But that's twice.
Speaker 2: Flexible, L Boy Jones.
Speaker 1: Boy flexible, I don't mind L boy.
Speaker 2: Okay, fraxing as in like the tax thing, fracking, fracking. Oh but fraxing rex Hunt. Are you across him?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Fisherman real Australian Anna, mummy Milkers Yeah yeah, flex mother mary yep, flex My mummy is a saint, okay. And then finally xxx sex Store.
Speaker 1: Guys, that is actually quite creative of you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I really think sometimes if your brain it's three pm, you're feeling a little bit wishy washy, sit down opposite your colleague and say, hey, Mohammad, I'm gonna have a little gir at your name, make a few nick names. Yeah, of course if they are consenting, it's could I.
Speaker 1: Didn't consent to this. And yeah, here we are you talking about best practice? Have we confirmed if Melbourne has a staring problem? It does, but unfortunately for all of us involved, Melbourne also has a walking problem. Gotta listen to DM here that says, oh this is sweet, hey, flex and through me love your podcast. Radio show Flagship. Your ability to be both entertaining and insightful is just La Chef's kiss. Oh sweet. Anyway, I was listening to an episode from Monday and you're discussing harm and you were discussing hammer bent. Okay, okay, okay, wait. I was listening to an episode from Monday and you were discussing hormon Bernians have a staring problem. I have an opinion on that subject. However, I do believe that Melbournians have a walking problem. It doesn't matter where I am or what time it is, they'll be, without a doubt, someone who will speed walk from behind me to then just stick out the same pace I was at. Also, not only do they not know the correct etiquette i e. Walking on the left side left correct, they also often stop abruptly still in I've done that occasion. It happens still in the middle of the footpath to check their phones. As a little side note, the concept of personal space seems to be ignored or unheard of by Melbournians. Again, I could be outside at a park and someone would choose to stand right at my shoulder. So it has really made me understand and agree with the reasoning behind Dan Andrews locking your down for so long brutal.
Speaker 2: She said, Dan ate with that.
Speaker 1: The walking problem. I think it can be thinly veiled in a lack of cultural context, because I have a distinct memory of going to London for the first time and getting torn a new one walking standing on an escalator coming out of what do I call it? The tube?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Standing on the wrong side the way. This lady came at me. Are you dumb?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: What's the accent?
Speaker 2: Are you dumb? Are you dumb? Move?
Speaker 1: Get out of the way. We are all trying to get to where we need to go. Move. I don't move so well, Thank you, thank you. And I was just like you could imagine. I feel like you don't see my airhead tendencies now, oh god, because I've had to. It's a correction. I've made an intention.
Speaker 2: I was, yes you, oh bade my ask for the fallen out. It's like going on Swanston Straight in Melbourne. I have distinct memories. Yeah, I'm the girl who's wo real fast. Okay, I've got my crumpler back back on. I got my new balance, very very steazy twenty sixteen kind of vibes. Little mum barber k it was serving thirty five and a twenty year old's body. But that's neither here nor there. Walking down Sunday Street, tell me what you're walking for.
Speaker 1: Abreast you've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 2: For more, tune in to cater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio