Speaker 1: She's on The Money Radio Show.
Speaker 2: With Victoria Divine starts now, Hello and welcome to that. She's on the Money Radio Show podcast, the podcast for millennials who want financial You got it right. You usually tell me it's not just for millennials or it's blah blah blah. So what's your constructive criticism or how I can be better?
Speaker 1: Tip this week? Victorian?
Speaker 3: No, I don't have any advice for you. You are perfect this week.
Speaker 4: I've got advice we didn't ask actually, all right, Instead of ordering a mcfluurry and McDonald's, which averages around four bucks at the moment with inflation, probably five, you order a thirty cent cone in the Sunday lid and then they put toppings on it and it's still the same price as a soft serve, but it's the same volume as a mcflurry. You're welcome.
Speaker 3: They don't even flurry the mcfluurry's anymore, honestly.
Speaker 4: No, they don't. They stopped flouring.
Speaker 1: What what is flurry?
Speaker 5: You know how mcflurry is? Right?
Speaker 3: They used to get that spoon, the square spoon, and they put it in a Yeah it was. And I never understood why the spoons were like that, and they would put the spoon in with your toppings and like flurry it around. What They don't do that anymore. They just put some soft serve in a cup, Chucks and m and ms on the top and chuck that spoon in there as a sick joke to let you know that your mcflurry was never flurry.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is actually ridiculous, like.
Speaker 5: To be honest, and I'm sad about it.
Speaker 1: Put some effort into a McDonald's.
Speaker 4: I'm all for saving the turtles, but we need to rethink the paper straw because sits in then all of a sudden, I'm sucking on a crumpet like it's disgusting.
Speaker 3: Not given things like bamboo straws exist, there's those sugar cane straws. Like, there's so many other options, yet they chose paper as some kind of sick joke.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm glad like that could have been so misconstrued if somebody just came in late down and what.
Speaker 1: The hell we were talking relate to a No one comes in bay to a podcast.
Speaker 2: Travel Sometimes I don't listen to what's actually being said.
Speaker 1: I don't pay attention. Guys.
Speaker 2: All right, Yes, you need to be paying attention though, because our She's on the Money radio show this Saturday was an absolute cracker. We had a brand new segment because people are just going crazy and they just need to come come ya.
Speaker 3: I feel like this has come out of me ranting on my Instagram stories so many times, and our producer saw it and was like, Yeah, that's good content.
Speaker 5: Let's just chuck that on the radio me like.
Speaker 2: The one that you did this week that caused a little bit of a stir in the news.
Speaker 6: Mate.
Speaker 3: I don't even mean it, like I'm just posting my experiences and people get mad about it.
Speaker 5: It's not my fault.
Speaker 2: I have a listen to a not Victoria Divine, but like Victim Divine. Sorry, you don't have to say everything that you think though, Victoria just putting it out there.
Speaker 5: But it's how it got me here, So maybe I do.
Speaker 2: Speaking of how you got here and why you are great at solving people's money dilemmas. If you're thinking about getting pregnant, or may be you're pregnant at the moment, we're going to.
Speaker 3: Talk about paid parntal leave from the minimums. I feel like it's a good topic because it's one that confuses everybody.
Speaker 5: TLDR.
Speaker 3: Check your contracts with your employer because that will guide what is actually gonna happen for you.
Speaker 2: Every single person's like, all babies cost me so much money, but you're going to make them money.
Speaker 5: They do. And you know what.
Speaker 3: I was talking to my girlfriend Phoebe the other day, and Phoebe owns a company called The Memo, which is a remember a really big baby company here in Melbourne that is starting to take Australia by storm.
Speaker 5: She is an absolute legend.
Speaker 3: She owns that with her friend Kate Casey, and I'm obsessed with them. But I'm going to do an episode really soon on She's on the Money about how to afford a baby and what it costs Phoebe, because Phoebe's just had a baby, about what it cost her and what she had to fork out and what was worth paying for and what wasn't. And I think that'll be a really good episode for She's on the Money because I don't even know what a baby costs.
Speaker 5: I just assume they're really expensive.
Speaker 1: I thought it was like one hundred grand a year or something.
Speaker 3: Oh I don't even know what it is, but I just feel like, babies are so expensive. And I say that as the only experience I've had of purchasing baby stuff is those expensive gifts you get when you get baby showers.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing is there when I said one hundred grand a year. Our producer Richie, whose partner is about to have a baby, he just saw that.
Speaker 1: Hello darkness, my ole friend playing as your face went wide. Ye seriously rethinking how.
Speaker 5: Much does your baby cost you thus far?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Probably twenty grand?
Speaker 1: Holy mold the start.
Speaker 5: That was an expensive decision.
Speaker 2: We could have sold mate, Move on, Sorry, Jess. Something that's not gonna cost you anything gonna save you a bunch of money. Actually, it's the She's on the Muney radio show right now.
Speaker 7: This is she's on the Money radio show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's on the Money Radio show with Australia's number one finance podcast of Victoria Vine Mitch Jury as well. Guys, we're doing all thanks to Budget direct Winn't Have Can Stars Insurer of the Year twenty twenty two. Budget Directs Insurance Soul Victoria what legend.
Speaker 3: I feel like they are good eggs doing good things. But speaking of good eggs doing good things and the opposite of that news media is pretty cooked and it's stressing everybody out with news headlines all around Australia talking about the economy, talking about letters, talking about the cost of fuel, and I feel like we are all getting pretty stressy. So I've collected a few example headlines for you guys, and you're going to tell me how much fear they instill in you. So first one, big banks shock prediction zero.
Speaker 1: That could mean anything like that is so vague.
Speaker 4: Can I just say the media give the bank so much press? There's press releases. I don't even know what the RBA is and anyone's talking about I thought that was a hospital in Sydney. Everyone's like the RBA, I have made a big decision. What have they got new beds or something?
Speaker 1: No, that's RPA, Mitch.
Speaker 4: The banks are scary in my mind.
Speaker 1: Anyway, give us another one, Victoria. What's the next one?
Speaker 3: People are talking about crypto coming back after a massive plunge. I just feel like it is instilling fear for no good reason. And another thing that I got really under my skin about eighteen months ago, which you guys probably will remember, is when all through the media people were talking about the soaring prices of after pay shares, and we're not talking about after pay as a product, we're just talking about people investing in them as a company and.
Speaker 5: As a financial advisor. I was like, sir, what why?
Speaker 3: Because they're not even profiting that much to justify the share price that exists. They've never paid a dividend, which is an amount of money that you get paid if you're a shareholder in that company.
Speaker 5: Where's the value here?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: Why would I do this?
Speaker 3: And then now it's completely come off and everyone's complaining that they've lost money on those shares.
Speaker 5: And they thought it was a good idea.
Speaker 3: But they thought it was a good idea because they saw it in media, not because professionals were talking about it.
Speaker 1: It's all about the hype exactly.
Speaker 3: And you also look at what happened pre COVID. Do you remember pre COVID?
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 5: Oh you don't, It didn't exist.
Speaker 4: Now it's a bit of a blow to be honest, I'm blocked it out as well.
Speaker 5: But let me refresh your memory.
Speaker 3: Before COVID, all through the newspapers, we were talking about how property was going to plummet and people were going to get sheep houses and cheap apartments and it was going to be a buyer's dream, right that happen? No, what are we talking about now? It's not that sexy to talk about how property didn't drop, So there's.
Speaker 5: No articles on that.
Speaker 3: In fact, I found an article a little while ago in a newspaper pretty much at the very back of it going property prices have remained stable, and I'm like, yeah, I know it makes sense. So it's one of those things where you're just like, the media talk about things and instill fear in us, and I think we need to be really careful about what we're consuming and what we're believing and what we're not because it actually ends up impacting our mental health and how we feel about things and the decisions we make around money.
Speaker 5: And that gives me the ick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will just say, I'll give the media one credity. The price of lettus is ridiculous. I can barely afford a cheeseburger, which is a travesty.
Speaker 3: At the moment, guys, I've gone back to frozen spinach. I will not be buying lettuce. Like, if you want a salad at my house, not happening here, have a frozen block of spinach.
Speaker 5: Because that's all.
Speaker 4: That's why she's not doing her morning poos trap because she's all up from the spinach spineach.
Speaker 5: In my smoothies.
Speaker 3: I am absolutely regular follow my Instagram stories, you know I love a good meta musal.
Speaker 1: Okay, come your farm, Victoria here in the media jop.
Speaker 2: All right, let's do this thirty and one A six five. Give us a call right now. Have you seen a news headline and you've just thought to.
Speaker 1: Yourself, come come if you have thurstay one A six five.
Speaker 2: We're going to take your calls next right here on She's on the Money Radio show for your Saturday Morning.
Speaker 7: This is She's on the Money Radio show.
Speaker 1: Via Saturday Morning.
Speaker 2: It's She's on the Money Radio Show with Australia's number one finance podcast of Victoria Devine.
Speaker 3: That's you, Oh spicy, I feel like there's nowhere to go from there.
Speaker 5: Honestly, step for down, speaking of down the share market right now.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was going to say, like Mitch Cherry, who's on the show as well.
Speaker 5: That was pretty I'll take that.
Speaker 4: But I am up. I'm in such a great mood to be here with you guys. We've got a great show.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: On Saturdays.
Speaker 1: We are doing this.
Speaker 4: Come here.
Speaker 5: News media is pretty cooked at the moment.
Speaker 3: I feel like there are headlines coming out my ears about how bad the economy is, how expensive lettuce is, what the cost of oil is, what petrol looks like, and I'm just over seeing the media overhype things to terrify us.
Speaker 5: So we're going to get some people to.
Speaker 3: Call through and tell us some headlines that they think people need to calm their farms about Victoria.
Speaker 1: What are you doing, mate? There's no need to talk because we got this come um y that is art's glorious.
Speaker 2: Thirty one six five is and number. Give us a call right now, just like Tommy has done. Mate, What do you think the media need to come um ya over?
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Well, there's this third He calls himself the slum Dose millionaire because he's young, like he lives in Vegas. I made a million bucks off singing earlier this year called bloody dog Coin And yeahst you could say, and I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 5: The slum doge millionaire lum dose.
Speaker 3: I love the confidence in that, though, imagine naming yourself that. And also I don't mean to be a bit rude, but like property prices in Melbourne have just hit in our verage of what one point one million dollars?
Speaker 5: Is that even that much money?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, it's like when they got million dollar listings, it's like, well, hang on a second, that's just a regular yeah, slum dosh millionaire.
Speaker 3: I love it, but I also just feel like that gives me the eg Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know what media come come yam, speaking of Indy, you think the media need to come down with property?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh. Yeah. I am so sick of seeing some twenty year old being able to retire because they've got a billion dollar property portfolio or something like that. Those stories are everywhere time.
Speaker 5: It's actually really easy.
Speaker 3: All those guys did was stop eating avocados and now they can afford property.
Speaker 5: It's actually mat Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I went to a cafe the other day and I saw in the menu that the smashed avocado was twenty seven dollars.
Speaker 5: I was like, no, do we can't afford property?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 5: Yeah, not great.
Speaker 3: But at my local supermarket, avocados money win dollar.
Speaker 2: You know what you need to do, though, Victoria, buy those dollar avocados, make your own avo smash charge twenty five No twenty five, undercut.
Speaker 3: Those, undercut them, and then after I've undercut them, I can afford a house. Is that right?
Speaker 1: Money win that come to my house?
Speaker 5: If Sully smaver. But I'm kind of sick of seeing these million.
Speaker 3: Dollar property portfolios as well from young people, because you also go, I know, mum and dad helped you out there, Sirlow.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's exactly it. Where are your parents?
Speaker 1: Hey? On thurday one of six ' five.
Speaker 2: We are taking your calls right now because we think the media are just blowing up headlines and they need to calm Come Yu, you're hating the Dow Jones, mate, talk to us, buddy, what's wrong?
Speaker 7: Every single morning they're going on about it.
Speaker 1: It's up, it's down, it's up, it's down, it's up.
Speaker 6: Get these guys something to flatten them out.
Speaker 3: My favorite thing about mediocre, midle aged white men talking about finance is they always like to throw those terms and acronyms around make themselves seem smarter, and it's like, okay, Dow Jones is just the average of.
Speaker 5: What the market looks like. It's not actually that exciting.
Speaker 1: Is that what it means?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Literally? Wow? And how aggressive was that for a Saturday.
Speaker 3: Morning I Dave and I too piece kids in the car.
Speaker 1: Davy mate, Hey Dave, I think you need to calm you.
Speaker 4: Come ya um? All right?
Speaker 2: Coming up next Victoria, We're going to solve somebody's money dilemma.
Speaker 5: We are.
Speaker 3: If you're struggling with your cash flow and you've found yourself in a little bit of a pickle and need some advice, you can hit us up on the She's on the Money socials this week.
Speaker 5: We've got Brontie.
Speaker 3: Who wants us to share some tips on paid parental leaves. She's expecting a baby in the next few months and I'm going to dish out some.
Speaker 2: Advice because with all of your kids, you'd be the expert, not a parent.
Speaker 3: And that's exactly who parents want to hear parenting advice from.
Speaker 5: So let's do that after the break.
Speaker 1: Right after this on She's on the Money Radio show.
Speaker 7: This is She's on the Money Radio show.
Speaker 1: This Saturday morning.
Speaker 2: It's She's on the Money Radio Show with Australia's number one finance podcast of Victoria Devine, Mitch Jury as well, and it's all thanks to Budget Directs. Well, the winner of Can Stars, insurer of the Year twenty twenty two. Budget directs Insurance sold what a small flex.
Speaker 5: We're just the insurer of the yo biggie neck.
Speaker 1: Haven't they done that for the past five years?
Speaker 3: Though She's like, way more than five years, But do you reckon? Their team goes to coffee and they're like, oh, where do you wear cour Budget Director, We're actually the insurer of the year, and everyone's like, yeah.
Speaker 4: We've solved insurance. Insurance has like we've got solved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so give up your losers. Anyway, it's time for this.
Speaker 4: Each week we bring someone's financial story on the air to get Victoria to, you know, jump on your soapbox. And that sounds like it's unsolicited, but we love when Victoria gets her Chanelle shoes on that soap box. You should see her. She so delicately jumps up and she gives advice. So you can hit us up online. This is one from Bronti. Bronti sent this in. She says, Hi, Victoria, I'm pregnant and I'm having my first baby in October, and I don't understand how paid parental leave works, and there's mixed messages on the internet. I turn around an annual salary of roughly seventy five thousand, so should she just get paid her normal salary for eighteen weeks. She's also read that there's flexible paid parental leave. She'd been confused. You can get thirty days off. What's your advice, Victoria?
Speaker 3: This one is a little bit of a pickle because it actually depends on who you're employed by, where you're employed, and what your employment contract says. So at a minimum, paid parental leave here in Australia is able to be received by working parents for eighteen weeks at minimum pay, So like that's the base amount that you'll get, which means if you work for a small business or a company that doesn't have a different parental leave policy in place, that'll just be the default, right, So if you decided to go have a baby, that's what you'll get at minimum wage. It won't matter what you actually earn day to day or what's on your employment contract because it kind of defaults back to minimum wage because you're out of that business. I love that it's eighteen weeks. I feel like that's a really good amount of time at a minimum. For most months it is not enough and they want to take more time, which I totally understand. However, there are a few options that are available. One the first thing I do is actually check your employment contract, so where you work, to see what their paid parental leave is. I've got clients who work in government and they actually get six months full pay or twelve months off at half pay. I've got clients that have epic parental leave policies where it's actually twelve months of full pay leave. I've got clients who work for really big companies as well that have come to me and they're like, oh my gosh, like I've got this really great salary, really big company, and then we look at their policy and they only have the eighteen weeks of minimum pay because it's not something that their HR department has organized. So I think it's a really interesting point because it's not ever going to be consistent, and the best thing you can do is actually go to your employment contract, have a look at what that says, and go from there, because as much as the minimum exists, there might be some bonuses that are on top. But when it comes to that, there's also the ability to negotiate with your employer. Right, So if you work for a company that only offers you the minimum of eighteen weeks, you can go, look, I really want some more time. Is there any way that we could go, you know, part time, or I could work some more hours now so I get some time off later, or is there the ability to double that eighteen weeks and just have it at the half pay, or take some time without pay at all. And I think that there's a way to make it work. You just have to have open lines of communication with your employer about what that means.
Speaker 5: However, as I said, it's different for everybody. But sneaky thing that.
Speaker 3: I've been talking about in the Shees on the Money community recently is actually about superranuation. So you don't get paid super on that amount of money, which means for the period of sleep that you're out of work, you're not actually contributing to your retirement savings. And that doesn't put women in the best possible position. So if there's any way to negotiate with your employer for even just that to be included, future you is going to be in a significantly better position. But there's another sneaky tip, and that's maybe have a chat with your partner, because did you know your partner can pay you some super to make sure you're not behind exactly, so you can. Yeah, your partner can actually put some cash towards your supranuation and get a tax refund for in some circumstances. And I think that that's really important to negotiate because if you're the person that is the primary caregiver, your retirement savings shouldn't go behind.
Speaker 5: It's a group effort.
Speaker 3: We all should be on the same page, and these are things that we need to talk about more consistently and openly.
Speaker 4: Wow, well, my tiv I'm not a financial advisor, but have twins and then everything will be double. That's how it works, Victoria. Right, the more, the more you get, that's how it works. I think that is.
Speaker 1: That's good advice for me is stop giving advice.
Speaker 2: Definitely great advice and always be practicing. Hey, speaking of sneaky, those little sneaky tips that you've been given. There, we are going to do Super Savis Saturday, Victoria.
Speaker 5: Next, I'm obsessed with Super Savior Saturday.
Speaker 2: Let's go your sneaky little tips on how to keep more bucks in your bank account that's coming up right after this on She's on the money radio show.
Speaker 7: This is She's on the Money radio show.
Speaker 2: For your Saturday morning right across the country. It's She's on the Money radio show with Australia's number one finance podcaster, Victoria Divine mits churry as well. It is your favorite time, Victoria, because it's time to do.
Speaker 1: This simper savo Saturday.
Speaker 2: All right, Miss Devine, it is time for you to give our listeners some sneaky little tips on how we can keep more bucks in our bank account. What do you got for us this week? You sneaky little tip giver?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: So tip number one is subscription services. And you're like, Victoria, Netflix, I'm not getting rid of it. Stop thinking I'm going to become a millionaire from this.
Speaker 5: We're not. That's not going no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: But I like how she says that about our listeners when it's really about her.
Speaker 1: She's projecting.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's actually any advice on here is me projecting my personal feelings onto you guys.
Speaker 1: That's okay, other people, that's what I do.
Speaker 3: I've got enough therapy to be okay with that, so thank you. But it's all about subscription services and you might be rolling your eyes, but from little things. Big things grow, and we actually need to care about the little things because they all add up.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So if you aren't using a subscription, obviously the advice there would be to cancel it. But my favorite tip is if you're an iPhone News I've I told you guys offline this yet, if you're an iPhone, you pick up your iPhone, which I want you to do lich truly right now, go to settings and in settings.
Speaker 5: You'll have your Apple ID right up the top.
Speaker 3: You'll click your name, and then after that you'll click subscriptions and it will tell you all the money you're wasting on apps that you subscribe to that you're no longer using. So what you're going to do is scroll through that and have a look at all of the apps that you're paying for that you might be able to cancel and save a few dollars.
Speaker 4: Of Do I need Jenny Craig Plus and Wait Watches Premium? I probably could get rid of those, good Night.
Speaker 5: I don't think you need them.
Speaker 2: Well, what about me learning French from Babbel since November last year?
Speaker 5: How's that been going? What's that testing you?
Speaker 1: Jesa?
Speaker 2: I think that means I'm not sure now every.
Speaker 1: Long way babbel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I am just opened mind because I don't actually take my own advice.
Speaker 5: I just know it's good advice.
Speaker 3: And I realized that I have been playing a dollar forty nine for Splice the video Editor because I thought at some point I'd become better at making tiktoks and reels and stuff.
Speaker 1: Business expense though well I'm.
Speaker 5: Not even claiming it because I didn't even thought.
Speaker 4: I was paid Tinder premium in a relationship for four Your boyfriend feel about that.
Speaker 5: Before he actually calls as well.
Speaker 3: Moving on, Tip number two is consider cost per wear. So this is me being a little bit self indulgent, and we need to check our privilege here as well, because not all of us are in the position where we go, oh wow, I wear a winter coat a lot.
Speaker 5: I'm going to go buy a.
Speaker 3: Really expensive one because it brings down cost per wear.
Speaker 5: But for every clothing.
Speaker 3: Purchase that you make, I want you to ask how often that I'm actually gonna wear this? So we want to consider our cost per wear because if you're just going to wear it for one weekend out which women are particularly good at.
Speaker 5: I say that because I am.
Speaker 3: Often the first to go oh my gosh, I've got this party on Saturday night, going out with a few girlfriends. I really want a new dress for it, but we need to check ourselves and go do we actually need that, or if I got something I could wear or something I could borrow from a friend. And something else I think is really fun to do is up shopping Melbourne, CBD.
Speaker 5: We live where he the rich people live. They give away their stuff all the time.
Speaker 3: Go down to a wealthy little up shop and pick up some bargains, and then you can always donate them when you're done with them, so the circle of life keeps going on and on.
Speaker 2: So don't go down to the Frankston op shops, is what you're trying to say.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know what they've got there. They might have some good stuff.
Speaker 2: You never know, that's true. One thing I do know is that's all we've got time for for this week. She's on The Money Radio show because Mitch Tury, you've got to get out of here to go and do your favorite show with.
Speaker 1: Your favorite people. Every week.
Speaker 4: There's been a lot of projecting this week. Listen, Tom and Veronica, you are kill my closest friends and I adore both of you, and I just want you.
Speaker 5: To know that I will right thank you.
Speaker 3: But do you remember being invited to his holiday? No, they all went on holiday together.
Speaker 5: We weren't there.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go that came out of me.
Speaker 4: You would not have wanted to be within a square meter of me.
Speaker 3: Well it makes sense that you don't need the Jenny Craig gap, then, doesn't it all?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Week again?
Speaker 2: This is starting to get vicious, so we'll be back next week for everything. Make sure you check our socials just search She's on the Money, the Life on Cut radio show with Laura what's.
Speaker 1: Her name again? And Brits Who Sorry.
Speaker 4: Britt Hockley and Laura Burn That.
Speaker 2: Is coming up next with their buddy and
Speaker 4: See you next week.