Speaker 1: Welcome to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. How you doing, Welcome to the nineties. I'd like to play I Make this look.
Speaker 3: Good Messa sheffields nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: You can't handle the crew, go o.
Speaker 4: Her.
Speaker 2: Christian O'Connell's eight z of the Nineties. Yeah, baby, everywhere we're pulling about the nineties, going through the alphabet, we land on the letter R. So we just malade Robbie Williams for some great songs lined up this hour. We've got to separate Robbie Williams and Ronan Keating. They're like two powerful magnets. Have you ever seen them in the same room. They never showed the same stage. They can't. It's irresponsible on the radio show to put them back to back. So closing out the hour is Roning waiting in the wings. Oh, the letter are restaurants and home video recording. Let's get into restaurants for the nineties. To me, restaurants in the nineties, it was all about Pizza Hut. I remember when Pizza Hut came to the town that I grew up, and it was big news. It was like Hollywood had come to town, right it was huge. I went there for a birthday and my dad took me there and I actually felt like I was on in an America movie. It was such a big thing, right, do remember the adverts hit the Hut. I couldn't believe I was actually having the big sort pizza them was that deep dish kind of Chicago style.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was so deep now because we only ate Pizza Hut as our main pizza when I was a kid, I didn't know about thin pizza until my char later on in life.
Speaker 2: Thin crust. At first, I was suspiciously that they ripping us off here pizza where it's all that heavy dough. It's got no flavor whatsoever. And I remember actually going on a date with a girlfriend to Pizza Hut to impress her, because in the nineties you would do that. If you're dating someone now and you go to Pizza Hut, there's no second date, is there? You're like, you're down on your luck. I went out with him. When do you go Pizza Hut? I don't think he's doing very well at the moment.
Speaker 5: But the great thing about Pizza Hut in the nineties were they're eating restaurants where you could go to the self served desserve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for like six barks. I were thinking, like how they are they? Okay? This I can keep going on. I've just been up for the fifth time.
Speaker 5: This is the best date ever.
Speaker 2: What are the restaurants when you think nineties, what does it sum up to you?
Speaker 5: I'm thinking of all of the all you can eat restaurants. The other two that we went to were Sizzler and Small Geese, And honestly we were as me and my brother were so excited to get to the dessert bar that were right.
Speaker 2: It was like Christmas Eve, you know that white heat excitement you get because it was a real tree.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you ran the soft serve machine yourself.
Speaker 2: And you could go there first forget about first course.
Speaker 5: No, well, my parents said you have to eat all your dinner before you go, so like we would like down pizza and then they get there's jelly cubes, yes, soft serve or the sprinkles, the chocolates on top. It's so sad that all you can eat restaurants through thing in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember as well. I wasn't until I was well into being a grown up. I actually went to a restaurant that had three courses. I was like, do you that sound like a something called a starter? And I was like, what's the starter for?
Speaker 6: We all go like pigs to a trough y, we eat what we want.
Speaker 2: Starter should order and then even ordering dessert. That never happened as a kid, I parents don't have the money from me that my dad always gave this accuse. He would say, we don't have the time, and it was never when we got home. It's like here plenty times, sort of watch TV, watch a big rush to get back. Even now on the menu, when I see the kids are a wife looking at dessert, part of me still thinks, oh you can't.
Speaker 5: It's instinctive.
Speaker 2: I already or desserve just raised that way. There was the height of election. Can we can't have? That would be financially ruined? Who's going to pay for it? Christian Connell's show podcast Eighties of the nineties or the letter are this hour we're talking about restaurants of the nineties. Jack was talking about sizzlers. Now I just found this, Well where too for lunch? I know where I want to go for lunch. I don't want to spend a lot.
Speaker 3: Of money, not fast food.
Speaker 2: Fast food definitely not fast food. But I don't want to spend a lot of time, So we're two for lunch tomorrow. How about Paris, Paris for lunch.
Speaker 6: I don't want to spend a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Mistake seafood salad.
Speaker 5: They said one too many times that it wasn't fast food, which makes me think it was fast.
Speaker 2: They were all marketed as that, weren't they fast food restaurants? And then Pizza Hut. I'll have some pizza.
Speaker 4: I want some pizza too.
Speaker 2: And pasta, yeh, pasta, and have that a bit of grain sellon on the side.
Speaker 3: And there we'll actually dessert.
Speaker 2: Do you want the works? The work? Well, the pizza, pasta, salad and dessert. You can eat five ninety five at lunch and seven ninety five for dinner. Yeah, the works five ninety five or seven ninety five from Pizza Hut.
Speaker 5: Those prices are unbeatable. Remember the works?
Speaker 2: All right? No, four one four, one oh four to three. Anything to do with the restaurants this morning, let's go to Aaron. Good morning, Aaron, good mornings.
Speaker 3: There you're going, I'm good.
Speaker 2: Mate, welcome to the show. So restaurants in the nineties.
Speaker 3: Yes, so Ba actually still has a we can eat pizza. The decorder stains, the food, everything is all stains.
Speaker 2: They're from the nineties.
Speaker 3: Change from the nineties.
Speaker 2: Barratt is full of yodi woldy, yoldy wody pizza.
Speaker 6: We have to make a pilgrimage.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is amazing. We should hire a coach and go with us and take some listeners as well. Just to a pizza and then come back.
Speaker 3: You can eat the whole lot.
Speaker 2: And have you been there recently or just seen it?
Speaker 3: Aaron, no bet two years ago?
Speaker 2: Still what was the pizza like again?
Speaker 3: Past Loco was still from the nineties.
Speaker 2: Aaron, that's a great one. Thank you very much for giving us a cool mate. Phil, Good morning Phil.
Speaker 4: Here you go, good.
Speaker 2: Phil and Phil restaurants. What have you got for us?
Speaker 3: I used to go the Swagman Beck in the seventies Inferantry Galley.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That was a big, big, smallstboard place. But you had to take your drinks right, so when orange juice was like two dollars fifty, they're being a bit tight.
Speaker 1: I used to get the oranges off the displays, taking back the table, cut them in ap and squoze me orangehit.
Speaker 2: Well we I mean, this feels like a story from past, doesn't it. Yesterday we heard about taking a toaster on holiday squeazy orange to save U two bucks.
Speaker 4: Phil us a lot of money. Bag.
Speaker 2: No it wasn't. It was two bucks. Feel you, my hero. That is a great story. I'll send you place. Phil. Okay, thank you. Let's say let's send him two dollars actually, so we can shout himself and no jail on us.
Speaker 4: Lance. Good morning, Lance, Good morning.
Speaker 2: Good Lance. So restaurants, Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: On a day to a restaurant with a young lady and that I was tacking to me meal and mishell a net and the next thing I see is a pulling in text thank goodness and get grasshopper in my cellar. But we ended up getting the entire meal for free from the restaurant.
Speaker 2: Do you know what pretty good scam? If you just brought some grasshoppers just chuck them in the salads, great free meal?
Speaker 4: Yeah no, no, quietly, man of fight, They said, oh they're just changed your cellar supplies.
Speaker 2: Got your lads all right? Lance, Thank you very much for cool might have you know sometimes you're getting pizza based and you roll it really thin and he keep rolling it starts to get a bit of gap pizza. That was Now producer Tom has got an amazing story about You know, younger people might be listening right now, going, oh, come on, you know it kin'd of been that exciting to go to just a pizza restaurant in the nineties. It really was. It was a big, big deal. It was like Christmas Eve.
Speaker 5: You had free access to the dessert bar. Can I say that again? You ran the soft serve machine yourself?
Speaker 2: Did you? Guys also find that it was very hard tooever, get your dad out of the house to go to a restaurant. Why are we think so reluctant to go to a restaurant? So I've taken him to the gallows and the moe's telling him that a friend of mine had been to the new Chinese restaurant when I grew up. My dad just went sounds weird. What do you mean not fish and chips or Chinese fish and chips, But it's fish and chips, Chinese fish and chips. What else we could there be? Some Tom, please tell them about how excited you got as an eight year old.
Speaker 1: So I had my eighth birthday at the Pizza Hut Oi you can eat at Saint Luke's and Auckland, New Zealand. And it was me three mates, my best mate Dan Monroe, and we basically went feral when we went in there.
Speaker 2: You would do you ate someone? You're basically in Wonka's place.
Speaker 1: It was a lord of the flies definitely. And and I talked to my mum about this and she said that when we had finished the mains tour, Dan Monroe and I grabbed the full veggie pizza which no one had touched.
Speaker 2: No one ever touched that veggie pizza. It was like getting stale there during the day, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: We stripped the veggie pizza of all the toppings, took it to the ice cream bar and covered it in ice cream to make an ice cream pizza.
Speaker 2: This is an outtake of Willy Wonka, right, And then what happened you get thrown out?
Speaker 1: Well, we tried to eat it all and then obviously made ourselves violently sick and we were probably asked to les.
Speaker 2: I've just seen there's a pizza hut, the nearest one to us. Do you know there's actually quite a few pizza It's still going.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you go in there. They're the smallies. Don't get tricked by what do you mean? You can't even sit in They don't have tape takeaway, so they're just for the delivery guys.
Speaker 2: Seeing the one nearest restaurant. There's one in Pranz so that's not Peter.
Speaker 6: No, you get tricked, don't get your hotel.
Speaker 2: They exist now as takeaways.
Speaker 6: You can hear Peter Hut delivery. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, who orders pizza Hut and take away people?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: I thought everyone just went Dominos or any of your local ones. Peter stood just trying to mind. I'm happy to buy everyone Friday a Pizza Hut takeaway. Peter, let's go back to the nineties.
Speaker 1: This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.