Speaker 1: Quest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 3: The SECN. We're starting to be charity drive on the show. It's called Adopted Jack. He's going to be home alone, him and his little two year old son.
Speaker 4: I'll be fine, would you be?
Speaker 1: Have you got stuff planned?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean just looking after him in general?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: On Saturday, that's a tick for that parent task Bomber's first game on Saturday afternoons. Be invited to.
Speaker 3: That r Yeah, I mean it's what every two year old wants to do. Go and see that underwhelming team back in action.
Speaker 4: But yes, I will be looking for suggestions of what to do with a toddler when it's just your son and you. But it's b Anchor. I'm worried about it because she's doing this hike three night overnight hike camping. She never really camp before, and she.
Speaker 1: Walking with all the camp on her back.
Speaker 4: She's got the proper pack, she's got a tent. Did she brow from a neighbor, she got a new sleeping mat, new boots.
Speaker 3: Now, yesterday when I asked you where was she hiking, you had no idea other than a state. So she's she's traversing New South Wales.
Speaker 1: Have you narrowed down a location?
Speaker 4: Minimurah It is on the south coast of New South Wales.
Speaker 1: Beauty in Nara.
Speaker 4: So she's doing like a coastal walk camp situation for three.
Speaker 1: Nights, having a couple of buddies.
Speaker 4: Yep, her work colleagues.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's an amazing thing to do.
Speaker 4: I'm just worried about her preparation because three months out she was saying, I'll be doing a lot of you know, the StairMaster at the gym. I'll carry Gordy on my back around the park so I can get these used to the way on my back. I haven't seen any of that. And she leaves on Saturday. You're kidding. This woman runs marathon.
Speaker 5: I reckon.
Speaker 4: She's all right, she is fit. She ran a marathon eight years ago. You can't hold onto that for training for a free day hike.
Speaker 3: Yeah wow. And so what about like boots walking boots? Has she warned those in otherwise you've got blisters first.
Speaker 4: Time last night, that was just around the park, Like, oh, my toad's a bit squished. This has not even been twenty minutes. Twenty minutes, you're going to be wearing these for three days.
Speaker 3: Plus you've got all that camping get and plus whenever you go like camping, you don't sleep very well.
Speaker 1: The moment it's.
Speaker 3: Light, you have to wake up because it's beaming through that little tent and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: She's going to be wrecked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's got all this confidence that, Ah no, I'll be fine. Everyone else said, I'm over prepared.
Speaker 1: If how how.
Speaker 3: Well you're alive, your heart's beating, you're good to go.
Speaker 4: So did honor to do lesterdays? Go get new boots or size up the boots because she.
Speaker 1: Felt that when did she start hiking?
Speaker 4: Saturday?
Speaker 1: She flies.
Speaker 4: We drop her off at the airport eight o'clock on Saturday morning.
Speaker 1: Boots all take time to wearing.
Speaker 4: In the wilderness by Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Notice that like the socks, and that needs to be warning when you buy new socks on that walking.
Speaker 4: I need people to say, like, if you are a hiker, is she underprepared?
Speaker 3: People will be listening to this. They can know she's okay, she's all right. Nine four one four one o four three. And if you ever been in a situation where you were just terribly, terribly awfully underprepared, where you just had no idea what you're taken on. This is the Christian O'Connell show podcast. It's Jack Swife, Bianca under prepared. Three day hike, three nights, yeah days, zero preparation would you say.
Speaker 4: None besides the walk around the oval last night in.
Speaker 3: A new late too late, don't even bother late, not doing anything, is it? And then getting brand new.
Speaker 4: Boots today that's going to today?
Speaker 3: This comes from Caitlyn Wallace listened to a show right now, Monicaid and Christian. I'ma as a Scout who's gone on many night hikes and day hikes. The anchor is definitely under prepared. I don't know the trials she is doing. It doesn't sound for miniar, so maybe the distance per day isn't too bad.
Speaker 1: But wearing boos you never won before is one of the biggest things you should never do. This comes from Scouts.
Speaker 3: She also needs to make sure that she's got lots of plasters for her feet. She will get cuts and blisters if they are brand new boots.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be agony for her. Let's get a Maddie here, Maddie underprepared.
Speaker 5: I'm a little bit underprepared. Yeah, I mean I've been hiking for about seven years now and also a Scout leader, So if she were to have been wearing her boots for about maybe a week prior, then that would have been perfectly fine. I mean, as long as she wears them within this week, then I reckon she'll be okay. It's honestly just a matter of making sure that she brings a lot of blister pads and she brings a heap of band aids as well. Fitness wise, I reckon she's perfectly fine. If she goes for runs, then she should be.
Speaker 1: She is healthy. She is.
Speaker 4: Maddy Rio suggested in the studio that you can buy new boots and then wear them into the bath to help them mold your foot. Have you ever heard of that.
Speaker 1: You've never heard of that.
Speaker 5: Personally, I've never done that. I've a pair of leather boots, so don't really you want to do that. But honestly, back in the day, I bought a pair of boots last minute because mine was falling apart, wore them that week for the hike, and I didn't get any blisters. If you double socks, there's one pair of skin socks and one pair of hiking socks. Then that will actually reduce the amount of blisters to get as well.
Speaker 4: That's actually very helpful, Thank you, Mare.
Speaker 1: Maddy.
Speaker 3: Do you recommend using Marino socks. That's what someone recommended to me once. When you go hiking.
Speaker 1: Don't wear the hiking feet in anything else.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, don't wear bamboo socks. Don't wear cotton socks. Always stick to the natural fibers. They dry faster, they're breatheable, They'll keep you warmer even when you get wet in them.
Speaker 3: And Maddie, you can't buy these boots that are don't take as much wearing in. I got some last year when I went in Ireland. We were not walking eight hours of day and the guy saw me boots that said they were pre broken in.
Speaker 1: I bought them.
Speaker 3: I don't know if someone in that sweatshop, but you know the little to run around in the mature the London bring or something, he said they were broken.
Speaker 1: It's so you're the greatest salesman I've ever heard.
Speaker 5: That brings alarm bells for me. If some shoes already broken in, then that tells me that the shoe is not going to be appropriate for your fo.
Speaker 1: We don't want to scout alarm bells.
Speaker 4: That's one of the badges they got, get alarm and read what words?
Speaker 1: Maddie, thank you very much your help. That's okay, all right? Andy? When were you under prepared? Mate? Good morning and yeah, good morning. Yes.
Speaker 2: We went on an eighteen week trip board to wet western Australian Northern territories last year and I will very well prepared with the crocs. And and we the through the national parks were in minimum high did with about three kilometers maximums about ten kilometers. And the parks over there are not flat, they're all over rotten.
Speaker 1: Boarding, bloody lazy w way where they flat? When these was something for us.
Speaker 4: Now I like to be an advocate for crocs, but even imitation.
Speaker 2: Hiking where they are great, you know. And there was one or two people looked at me a bit strange. I don't know why, because I had my shopping bag as well with me water.
Speaker 1: What do you mean a shopping What do you mean a shopping?
Speaker 3: Back?
Speaker 1: Are your bag for lying for someone?
Speaker 2: Andy took a photograph of me without me. I forgot me. I love me backpack in the caravan that particular day, had a shopping back with the watering.
Speaker 3: You're the type of guard they have to send one of those rescue missions, aren't they? The English guy lastly wearing crocs and shopping bag.
Speaker 1: Well, a lovely day for it, very flat down. They're like, hey, wait, have you got the phone? Must flask? I mean I've got hanky on my head, darling.
Speaker 3: Come now, Andy, what what happened in the end with this this epic trek?
Speaker 1: Then in your crocs with a shopping bag.
Speaker 2: Oh well no, no, I did the ten cads So there was no Yeah, there was no dramas, but it was quite ironic. Two weeks before we finished our trip, we're calling it alex Springs and there was a sail on and I bought a beautiful play of walking shoes.
Speaker 1: Why did why didn't he use? Didn't you use them?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, there is two weeks as.
Speaker 3: Good idea to buy them after a trip, isn't he.
Speaker 1: I've not been to alex Springs. It must be. It must be a tribute to as well. And he loved in the chat to you mate, you've got a great accent. I love it.
Speaker 2: I can say, Jack, please get your wife to get some crop.
Speaker 4: He loves crust just so much.
Speaker 1: Croc and trek and the thanks the corner may take care. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast