Speaker 1: Welcome to them. Christian o'connon show podcast.
Speaker 2: What is your work Experience story? Good on into Stacey. Our workers emailed this one him. When I was in year ten circa nineteen eighty eight, I had a work experience at the Melbourne Theater Company. Hey probably would have seen Patsy on the red carpet.
Speaker 1: I was so excited.
Speaker 2: They had me working on their set designs. Each set designers meticulously created in a minsha version before they build it to scale. I don't know this particular day, out of glue over fifty pole beads onto a wire above the stage which represented lights. So I was left to my own devices with no supervision. After couple of hours, I started a little wit woozy. Turns out I got high on the glue and passed out on the floor. Only this is the eighties, when the glue was very different. In the eighties. I had to be discovered half an hour later by my concerns supervisor. That's called an ambulance. But I came to and seemed seemed okay. Next day they found me a different job. That's from Stacy.
Speaker 1: Greg.
Speaker 3: Good morning Greg, Good morning Christian, Greg.
Speaker 2: What's your work experience? Story made well again.
Speaker 3: In the nineteen eighties. I did work experience for the Air Force armory and they had me rebuilding rifles and arming bombs and making things.
Speaker 2: You bank, this is amazing. First of all, how old are you.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm a sixties child.
Speaker 2: Yes, how old were you when you were actually working with rifles and bonds in an armory fifteen fifteen. See you're handing like you know, munitions and gunpowder.
Speaker 3: Well, to start with, the riffles had to be cleaned and stripped, because a new service is a regular maintenanceing. Apparently, after every fifteen you met your test fire them while they left me to my own devices. And I had seventy eight rifles ready for test fire, not fifteen.
Speaker 2: What could possibly go wrong fifteen or boys unsupervised? Either one rifle is too many, seventy eight. You've got your own militia there.
Speaker 3: What they gave me three boxes of ammunition, said go down the firey range and testify them.
Speaker 4: So I did.
Speaker 2: Do you know we could do a whole phone and stories like your Greg called. It was a different time. It was the eighties.
Speaker 3: Look, the best part was and you know those those old ladies movies where they were arming the bomb and the guy was squeaking and shaking and don't touch the sides. Yes, well, they had me doing that with laser guided missiles for the for the Air Force one day and they told me if I touched the side, you will go bang. There's a fifteen year old me literally squeaking trying to put this detonator into a bomb. It was awesome.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, right, we can look about No good, my god, that's so dangerous for you. That must have been like some of the greatest days of your life.
Speaker 4: Fifteen year old boy?
Speaker 5: What could be better?
Speaker 2: Seriously, every fifteen year old livestream, what did you tell your parents you're doing every day when you go? How did you even make it.
Speaker 3: To Well, see, that's that's a great thing. Because I lived a small country town in New South Wow, So I had to find my own billert near Newcastle, Coause I was at the ref base in Williamstown, so I didn't get to see my parents for two whole weeks. There was even better.
Speaker 2: So you were just sort of camping in with the actual sort of the end of the airmen and stuff like that, and the pilots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what a story.
Speaker 2: Greg, that's a great one. Thank you very much for givinci call.
Speaker 3: You have a great weekend, guys enjoying William.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: So many great stories yesterday about work experience, and after a while quite a few of these stories were so drawl dropping. They were about obviously very young people, teenagers being given way too much responsibility. Ten minutes ago we heard from Greg who when he was fifteen did work experience for the Air Force, And yesterday when we were sharing our stories about work experience, it's what work experience is now. It's born as hen, isn't it a cardboard box? Yeah, the Guitar show. That's like Monday to Friday. Greg in the eighties was cleaning and firing seventy three rifles and then handling and maneuvering a laser guided missile and told not to not to miss the edges. We'll all go up a fifteen year old. So that's why we're doing more of these sim home, good morning, good morning. Some I know you had a good week. So what's your work experience story mate?
Speaker 5: Way too much responsibility for someone so young. Yeah, I was doing work he experienced as a radiographer at a local hospital. So I got the awesome opportunity to go into theater to a surgery that was happening that needed the next raydon I go in there because this is awesome. It's like, oh, okay, this is what I really want to get into, either nursing or radiography or you know that kind of thing. And go in there and the surgeon invites me up to the table to come and have a look. So I go up there.
Speaker 2: Wondered if they're up to that while we're on conscious day, you know, just inviting mates face. Let's get this blobby.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: I got up No, I think close. They called me up and they come on, come on work experience, go come on home.
Speaker 4: Look.
Speaker 5: So I go up near it and it's like, ah, oh okay. Then he's talking and the words are starting to blur and become a bit warped, and it's like, oh, feel a bit funny. So I take a step back and keep stepping back, stepping back, stepping back back, kicks the wall and then all of a sudden, I'm just sliding to the floor. Yep.
Speaker 2: So what I just seening? Obviously what there was an open It was.
Speaker 5: There was no blood, no blood, lots of yellow so I'm assuming eye done or something, and just lots of flesh, lots and lots of flesh.
Speaker 2: What was the surgery?
Speaker 5: It was I think knee replacement. It was a knee because it was held up high on an angle and open exposed knee and muff fall and bone and.
Speaker 2: All right, room starting a woozy in here, right, And so what happened to the career was a working in medicine.
Speaker 5: Good time, four pet early and decided that really wasn't for me.
Speaker 2: Simon, thank you very much your story. Have a nice weekend, and.
Speaker 4: You two guys take care.
Speaker 2: Tanya.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Good morning, Christian.
Speaker 1: Hell are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good Tanya? What was your work experience story?
Speaker 5: Christian?
Speaker 4: It was nineteen eighty five. I was sixteen and a half and I was assigned to the broad Minnows Magistrates Court. And on the fourth day I was after observing all the clerk of courts, they asked me they were short staffed and they asked me father would do a case on my own. So left in a room because it was a case being heard in camera and swearing in witnesses and passing evidence to the judge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never this. This takes a biscuit laser guided miss out. I could understand. It's Australia.
Speaker 6: This, this justice system needs to be upheld wherever you are in the world, Australia swearing your witnesses.
Speaker 2: Didn't you put it on your left hand and the other one put up in the air. I've seen the movies. I've seen Pelican Brief and yeah, you say telling pokey bies and did you do it or not? Well the way, just did you do it? I'm curious.
Speaker 4: I was so engrossed in the in the case that because the doors are locked, of course I missed them trying to call me on the on the back phone on the desk, and so missed the flashing red light, and all of a sudden I saw three or four heads pop up in the at the door in the glass panel going motioning for me to answer the phone because they were so worried about Mick and they couldn't come in to see if I was okay.
Speaker 1: Sounds terrifying.
Speaker 5: It was fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Tanya, thank you very much. Cool, have a nice weekend.
Speaker 4: You too, Banks Well.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's Show podcast