Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the Sitdown. I'm Matrolope, a writer and editor for oz open dot com, and.
Speaker 2: I'm vig Christie, managing editor for Australian tennis magazine VIV.
Speaker 1: Fantastic to have you back in the studio. I've missed you. How was Roland Garross?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Matt, it was amazing. I hadn't been to a Paris in ten years and seeing clay court tennis it's something quite magical. But speaking of special while I was flying to Paris, you had a fantastic interview with Todd Woodbridge. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Chatting to Todd was great. I was joined by Vig Rudnikoff from our production team and it was funny. Todd kind of said, I've been waiting for may invite to the Sitdown because we've been going for two years, but he's always been on our list to someone we've wanted to talk to. An absolute legend of the game, one of the greatest doubles players of all time, twenty two major doubles titles, nine of those coming at Wimbledon. He's also an Olympic gold medalist and he's now gone on to build an amazing media career and stays in commentary now. So yeah, this was a chance for us to chat to Todd about the very beginning he got connected to tennis and how it remains such a part of his life today.
Speaker 2: And this is such an in depth chat that it's actually broken into two parts, so stay tuned for part two when Todd talks about his record breaking Wimbledon career. But for now, let's hear about Todd's start in the sport.
Speaker 1: Todd Woodbridge, thank you very much for joining us on the sit Down Podcast. It's good to see you.
Speaker 3: Nice to have been invited.
Speaker 1: Finally, we just celebrated our two year anniversary in our one hundredth episode, but you were always on our plans to get you on, so thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: It's great to be you guys are doing awesome. It's fun I watch.
Speaker 4: Thank You and tell us about how all began and how you got your start in tennis.
Speaker 3: How it all began, I mean that's all I remember, to be honest. You know, my mum played tennis three days week competition Tuesday, Thursday, Saturdays, and I was the mistake child. So I had two older brothers they had already up and left the house and so I used to be taking along in the pram and then when I could walk, I'd hang on the fan and all I want to do is get on the court and play. So I had my first tennis lesson at four, I played my first tournament at six. I played adult comp at ten and I played well. I traveled my first trip overseas in juniors at eleven. It goes back a long way.
Speaker 4: And what about it made you want to stick to tennis.
Speaker 3: I was infatuated by it. I just loved hitting a ball, counting when you learn to count basically how many times I could hit? Could I beat the wall? And I used to played Illoria Tennis Club in Sydney and there was a brick wall and I would be out there hitting away, and everybody that was ever at that club knew about this little kid that was just their hitting. And I used to go there. Used to be a little shared at the back of every court at the club. I think there were six courts in the main row, twelve in total, and I'd go from shed to shed to shard to see if they would give me a hit and let me on the court. So I was annoying persistently.
Speaker 1: I still, at what point in your journey on development did you realize you were good enough to become a pro, Like, how viable was that for you?
Speaker 3: And at what age I would have said at seven eight I wanted to be a PROA did it? I think I could happen? I don't know, but I used to watch tennis all the time. I'd race home from school, and in those days you had the summer of tennis that used to be every state Open would be on and they'd travel around the country for like ten weeks. It seemed like the better be men or women. I'd watch as much as I possibly could. I'd then run out to the court and go practice. I suppose by ten I think I won my first national doubles title in Melbourne, and so I think I won three twelves, two fourteen's, two sixteens, three eighteens. I didn't lose a national doubles.
Speaker 1: Title, Okay, So you reckon it was around like age eleven, twelve nationals.
Speaker 3: You were like, this could be, this could be something that I'll do. And then then by the time I was twelve, I played the US Hard Courts Junior Championships, lost to Michael Chang who was about ten, and so it really started then. I mean that's when you first came across great names in tennis. Chang went on to win the French as a teenager. I played Jim Curry for the first time at thirteen. Oh wow, that was an ear. All these guys became pro David Wheaton was there, Samples was hanging around from outside, you know, the Jason Stoltenberg's and Richard Fromberg who were all doing that. And so I guess maybe it was more it wasn't as easy, but maybe it was easier if you were getting the opportunity which I got, okay, and good competition really young.
Speaker 1: I guess maybe not being awed by them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that was one of the key things about growing up in Australia at the time is that tennis was such a significant social sport, both that everybody played competition. Ten clubs were so big, so thriving, but there was minimal things to do. You've got to remember on a Saturday morning, shops would close at midday, nothing was open, so you went to sport in the afternoon Sundays that's all your your families did. Whatever sport you chose, and so that was really integral to being a tennis player. But if there was so much depth, so as a young player coming up, you had all these different levels that you could compete at very quickly. And if as you improved quickly, as I said, I played adult compa ten, they let me go into that and that makes you better so quickly, and you had very good, solid amateur players. The depth was far greater. And people say, oh, it's not like the old days in Australian in terns. Nothing is. Every sport has changed dramatically, including ours, and that's a challenge about developing new players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so many things to as you said, to divert attention now, like yeah, compared to what used to happen on the weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And obviously talking about your pro career now innineteen ninety you formed your iconic partnership with Mark Woodford and just going to read this because I don't want to get any of these starts wrong, but you would go on to win sixty one ATP titles, including eleven Grand Slams, plus gold at the nineteen ninety six Atlanta Olympics and silver at Sydney two thousand How did this partnership start and why do you think you jelled so well?
Speaker 3: Well? Both, that's a big story. I'll do it as quick as I can. I was looking for someone I thought I could win some majors with Mark had won a major with John McEnroe. Macinoe told him that he wasn't going to be playing anymore seriously, he should look for someone. There was this young Aussie kid who was sort of can I play? Can I play with you? And I felt like I needed someone with a little more experience. He had it, he knew what it was like to win a major. He said, yes, we trialed. We played well together. Ironically, we first couple of tornaments we played. I played on the backhand court. He played the forehand because that's where he played with McEnroe, And after quite a lot of high backend returns that I couldn't make, I said, do you mind if we switch? And we did switch them. From there, we had this massive success, but very quickly.
Speaker 1: What was the first tournament.
Speaker 3: The first tournament I think we played was Wembley Indoors in the UK. That was a one off opportunity. We played quite well, maybe made Sammy's something like that, and then we started a season in Australia in nineteen ninety and started well made Sammy's with the Shane Open. We won our first tournament in Brussels and then we won in Copenhagen and then that was the start of winning a lot of events.
Speaker 1: Well you alluded to that, so yeah, ten Wimbledon finals. So you finished playing with Mark in two thousand and then pretty quickly switched to a really successful partnership with Jonus Bjorkmann and that one knew more Grand Slam titles. Well give you yeah, well it was another five with him. I think it was five with him, three Wimbledon's in a row. Yeah, So what was it like converting, like switching to playing with him?
Speaker 3: And like it was a great change, And I don't mean that in any negative way. Yonis probably brought more personality out of me. He's he's the part of the reason that I have transitioned into glossy game show host because I was very very conservative, very straight, very strict, very hard on myself, tuck my shirt in, you know, all sorts of like just an era. And he was kind of loose, relaxed, very competitive, but had fun being competitive and he go loosen up, Teddy, loosen up. Come on, man, it's not that bad. And I'm oh to him. I liked the change. You know, like ten years we play with Mark, so there's always going to be a changing moment and he was that moment for me. Like with personality, he allowed me to be like I used to laugh a lot and have fun off the court, but not on it, and he brought me the understanding I've got a balance a little bit better. And now that was a part of, you know, a friendship that's maintained is that he kind of allowed me to untuck my shirt and do little dancers who on the Aussie Open, I'm out there doing some weird dance. I'd never have done that in my life, and now I do it nightly.
Speaker 4: Love that.
Speaker 1: So I guess it's been a while since you played doubles. What do you do You watch much doubles now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 1: Do you think of the standard of it now?
Speaker 3: It's different? There is some excellent doubles players out there. I love commentating doubles at Wimbled and in particular I still think that the grass courts bring out the nuance a little more than some of the other surfaces, the lobs and creating openings and using lines and all things that are effective tactically in doubles. So I've caught some really good matches the last five six years. I have been so entertaining. You know, I kind of watch it because I want to see what I still sit there in my mind playing the shots. That's what I feel like I'm doing, and I'm commentating. She'll be hitting it here, there's a space, use it, Yeah, that type of and so I actually that's why I actually like commentating. I actually put myself in the shoes of the player, going Okay, what can I do here? What should they do here? How do they unravel this chess match between their opponent? And that keeps me interested and I do as a commentator hope that also the person sitting at home gets that feeling of now they're watching something a little differently and they're looking ahead to what might be able to happen. Aha, there's that moment that we were talking about, and that could be the pivotal point of change in this match. That's the fun part about still being in it. And when I get a match like that, you can tell you get quite excited.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and after that you obviously reached your singles career best ranking of number nineteen, Like, how did you feel after that achievement? And I know, obviously as a doubles and singles player top twenty in both, it's quite challenging as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, we loved playing and I say we like Mark Woodford and I both did the same. We both had nineteen in a ranking, made a Semis Australia home. We loved playing tennis and winning. And I know, could we or I have done better taking just a singles route and not playing doubles, Probably not. I think we would put more pressure on everything. I liked the fact that if you had a bad week in singles, you still were out playing matches, you still had some confidence, You're still putting yourself under pressure. I think a lot of players that sit in a mid ranking in tennis should do more of that. You know, you can't if you're in the top ten, but you can if you're sitting fifty to sixty. And that's sort of how I looked at that little period as well. There's a few things that hindered me. One was Serve and growing up in the crossover of eras at the particular time. If you go back, like we talk about the change of wooden rackets to aluminium to graphite serving with out I served watching the likes of John Nucom and all these classic Aussies. But biomechanically those serves put pressure on your arm and your shoulders and serving change, and so I look very different from the beginning of a career to the end. All of those types of things you look back on and go, oh, I wish you could have had that moment, but you didn't have video to watch back when I started.
Speaker 1: Another single success you had was making the Canadian Open finals because a Master's final, that's incredible. And also you won to ATP titles as well, and that was all kind of happening in the mid mid nine ages. Yeah, if you would reflect on your single s career, where do you think like the season or the period was that you were at your peak.
Speaker 3: Well, we played in an era where surface was really important to your ranking, and there were significant differences with surfaces, and I think that's where the game has really changed the most right now is I feel like most of surfaces play very neutral and same speed, same bounce, high getting the same match that you watched nearly on every surface. But if I take you back to those years, we played indoors on supreme that's a rubberized matt surface where the ball used to skid through. You would get a longest rally of seven to eight shots if you were lucky. So you know, it was a lot of serve block returning, getting in building pressure. Then you had your clay court run, but you also had you had your hard court runs. Now we had an Asian swing in pre like clay used to cross over in spring, so your March April mays and that was important for me. Places like Tokyo Soul, Singapore, they were pretty fast hard courts. They were very effective to my game style. I used to like clay, but it took me eight weeks to play well on it and then it was over. And I'm not joking. I loved clay. I loved maneuvering the ball, but I had to learned to get different flight and it would take time and patience to change your mindset to be to wait a little bit more, and then of course you go us run great, but then go back into the indoor season. Really tough for me because again you came up against big, serving guys that had perfect conditions. I was a good, tough condition player. Put me in wind, take away elements of guys that couldn't bomb it and they had to shape the ball. I could outskill them. And so that was that period where we had all of the variant in surfaces and schedule. So you put a bit of pressure on you about your schedule. You had to play well in these little blocks. If you didn't or you were struggling to maintain. But then if you've got a really good run going, you were set for the next twelve months. And you got to remember we didn't have people that excelled in both spaces, like it was so tough to do well on clay and then do well on grass. Pete struggled with that, right, Gouga struggled to make the transition to grass. Great draw if you've got googa at Wimbledon, that type of thing there was. There were moments where you saw draws at Roland Gaross. They probably looked at me a whole beauty. But then come on grass and that excellent clay couarders and they'd already packed their bags, they already to leave they just you could outdo them quickly a different time, and so you had those those different abilities to play well. And that was that period for me. And as things started to neutralize a little bit about a bit more, it got harder to maintain. And plus I was getting older. I get to thirty twenty eighteen nine thirty, so I have a family and know all your perspectives change. But also this is a really important one. People forget that an athlete is running their own small business, and.
Speaker 1: Well a tennis player specifically, because a lot of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and in my mindset was I got to twenty seven, twenty eight, my rankings started to drop twenty nine. What am I going to do? I had to take six months off and focus on playing some challenges. I did it a couple of times, got my ranking back towards one hundred. But then I'd play regular tour Masters series. I'm in the Semis finals and winning them. I can't get to qualities for the next week, right, Well, you mean playing doubles, which playing on the weekends, I couldn't get there. So I had to make, effectively a business decision that cut my singles short. I can make six seven, eight hundred thousand dollars over here by winning majors doing this, or I give up that and I spend one hundred I go backwards to get my singles back. I made the decision to run my small business efficiently, which gave me the chance to really, I guess, create a niche for what I was doing with doubles. But I don't think people really look at it like that. And you can't run a negatively cash flow business, can you? And that unfortunately people, Art's just a sport. No, it's not. It's your livelihood. You're setting yourself up. You've got commitments, you've got bills like everyone else, and we look at the top guys. That's a different story. But even in what I was doing and what I was in the top twenty of prize money, I think the time I retired but still had to think that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're not sad, like, no, I could have done more.
Speaker 3: Inside, you know, there's weeks and moments you think I could have done better, But overall I couldn't have given more. I had nothing left to give. And that's when you retire too. Because I retired thirty four, stool was playing quite well. I could have gone on and probably straining partner wise, but I could have played and won more. But at the same time it was hard. I go out and practice never miss a ball, like honestly it wouldn't miss a ball, but you need to keep practicing for another two hours and going, oh god, this is boring because you've mastered your skill set and it's too to change everything and you have to then think about what's next. And what's next was important too.
Speaker 1: Yes, one last one on your singles, because I think we should acknowledge that one of your singles titles that you won was in Adelaide, So winning on home soil must have been particularly special. I'm sure, like the very highlight.
Speaker 3: Absolutely it was an Adelaide, Yeah it was. It was called Australian Hardcourt Championships. There's a lot of our events in Australia really have several titles to them to South Australian Open, Australian Hardcourt Championship that they used to move round, right, And I am very romantic about sport and titles and moments and people and places that are important to it. And so having grown up in Australia with such a rich history, to win that title was important to me. You might call an ATP two fifty or whatever it was at the time, but winning that was a very important part of what I old Australian tennis histy is about, and that kind of was a real driver for me. I have this real passion for that type of for that in a sport, I really and I when I have been in my roles, whether it be development or now, when I'm talking to younger players and mentoring whatever, try to remind them why are you here, what are you doing this for? Are you doing it just for money or are you doing it because you're going to get the chance to play on the center court at Womenham where Rod Labor played, or where you know Pete Samprist did stuff with the epic Macenroe Borg matches, Arthur ash beating Jimmy Connors, or Andy Roddick losing sixteen fourteen in the fifth feeder. Like I think about all those things, they are the things that make my sport so incredibly special, and I think it's so important to drive those messages home to young players that are playing. I want passion from our players that really understand how they got here and why they're here. And then they have a responsibility to pass that on.
Speaker 1: I love that and that's kind of Billy Jinking talks about that. Know your history, know what's come before you, it makes more significant what comes now. Hookie school. She talks about that like it's a version of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if I suppose a player or a person like myself and my peer group doesn't do it, who does it next? It will be lost. So kind of keep driving it.
Speaker 1: We'll get them on the podcast and talk to them about history.
Speaker 3: We can do a tennis sipping point in history and we might have to edit a bit well.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Australian history in a way. You played an important role in Australia's Davis Cup team, being part of the nineteen ninety nine and two thousand and three winning teams. What was it like playing in that team environment because you hear a lot of the time as well that you know, playing for your country, it just brings out something completely different out of you than maybe the tour year round.
Speaker 3: It's great and again it has ach Australian heritage to it because we would travel and if we didn't help each other, it was a struggle because you were away for so long and Davis Cup was a real part of why individually we had a lot of success. In terms of my record, I held the record, but then late and took everything from me. I got most doubles wins. Still he didn't get that, but again he's another one of that group of us that thrives on that history of those events.
Speaker 1: Do you also know the stat that you have that you've won the first official ever match at Melbourne Park?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, so when the tournament what was called Flinder's Park then, and you were your first officially recorded winner at the new venue day one nine eight, which is pretty wild because you were playing best of five sets and there were women's matches.
Speaker 3: Ye clayed American called John Lett's I reckon the court was my bit caught eighteen seventeenth. It's no longer there, it's all gone, So John Keena is where it used to be.
Speaker 1: On the Yeah, I even put like a little park.
Speaker 3: And I think the score score was something like one love and two or something like something like that. So yeah, that was as.
Speaker 1: You know, at the time. I think they were.
Speaker 3: Liked so so Australians will know. Eddie Maguire of course, is very famous here if internationals won't. But he was a young cadet journalist with Channel ten and Edie's gone on to be one of the most famous journalists and commentators and sports personalities in Australia. He was courtside and did a cadet journal story on me. So they're being interviewed. It's a great little piece. It's actually been up on our socials. Before I go back and reflect on it, my voice was matured since.
Speaker 1: Then because you're what like sixteen or seven.
Speaker 3: I would have been sixteen six, Yeah, maybe about to turn seventeen later in a few months time.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty cool piece of history as we need that plark.
Speaker 4: Since retiring from your professional playing career, you've obviously had quite the impressive media career. Was that always your plan to do something like that.
Speaker 3: I always liked it. Actually, I don't know if it was a plan, but it was something i'd obviously thought about. Like when I was at the Austrains to Sport and Canberra and we had to study and go to school. I did media studies and back in the day we didn't have like you fancy equipment whatever. We used to have a couple of video tapes but I remember, you know, mashing up videotapes and doing tennis reports. So I was always like, maybe if I didn't make it, I would even go into sort of part journalism in a sense. So it's been in me in that way, and I always looked upon the careers of other greats John Newcomb, Fred Stolly being in the broadcast booth as something that I could do and would like to do. So that was definitely in my mind as I was sort of halfway through my career. You know, you're looking at where do I go from here? And that was that was the radar.
Speaker 4: So you've obviously done tennis and now a bit of Olympic commentary as well mced events presented on postcards. Everyone in Australia will know who's the host of Tipping Point on Channel nine. And last year you took out the LOGI for most Popular TV Presenter And did your tennis career at all prepare you for what was to come?
Speaker 3: I mean, he prepared me to be able to do the things I'm doing. But I mean, how ridiculous, you know? Is that an impost syndrome to have a LOGI. I was talking about it with someone recently because when you're in the middle of your tennis career, you have a good week, and I always believe you've got to celebrate it. I have a glass champagne something, and then you move on and get ready for your next one, what's coming up next. And even at the moment in what I've been doing, I still feel like I'm right in the meat of my media career, and so I celebrate it, but get ready to do it again and want to do a good job again. And I probably have that mentality of work hard, do a really good job, well done, What's next. So I haven't really reflected upon how I've done that transition of all the other things. I know it's not easy, but what I've always said to myself was that do the things you trust you can do, and back yourself. And if there's something I know I shouldn't do, I don't go near it. And so the things that I've taken on, I felt confident that I could, whether it be moving into the hosting space to go into Olympics, and more recently over the last you know, Summer Games, Paralympics and the Winter Olympics, I've actually gone into leading other sports and that probably has been. One of the biggest things for me was to come off let's say Winter Olympics, where Australia had some amazing moments that I called. I found that extreme pressure because you cannot ruin that moment, and there have been amazing broadcasters that have done that and been so famous for the call. And I walked away from the couple of calls and made proud of what I'd put down. I actually, in my broadcasting space think that the last few months have been some of the biggest for that reason. There was Cooper Woods's medal, who he won the moguls in Lavigno in Italy. You do your prep work when you work in these spaces. But I had prepped for Jakara Anthony to win gold weird prepped for him to hopefully make a final, and then all of a sudden, here is the top contender running last with a chance to beat the greatest of all time in his sport. The prep everything that came out of my mouth there was natural. It had been thought about, but none of it had been prepared and written down. But it was probably my best work ever. So it's an interesting thing. I say that because of the transition we talk about Obviously tennis is get me the grounding to have the confidence to do that. But I have loved that opportunity to continue to be able to do more in different spaces, and you know, I reflect upon that, you know, when it's all over and go. That was a ballsy effort.
Speaker 1: Yes, with like so many people watching going yeah, strains really get behind Olympics. And you do stay connected to tennis, though you've alluded to it a bit in this interview that there's been a bit of like coaching and working with like talent development and things like that and some consultant coaching with players. Was that something you always wanted to kind of stay connected to tennis with.
Speaker 3: Probably one of the more disappointing things, not in a bad way, but I love coaching. I actually really love talking tennis and unraveling.
Speaker 1: Like what you were saying with your commentary as Yes.
Speaker 3: But you've got to make decisions in your journey about which way you go, and mine was made by the team care of my family. I would have probably gone out on tour and coached and I you know, like I worked with the owns Borkman straight after playing against Semi's A. Wimbolton and Quarters of Wimboter and Thomas Johansson make Quarters Here. I worked with those guys and then I went into development and I did a lot of sessions with players from from here, and I think made difference in parts of their game. But I didn't want to go on the road for thirty eight weeks a year again. I'd just done that two young kids. I need to have that time. Right now is probably the time that I could go back out on the road. But I've gone into other space. Yeah, but I if there was one part of my journey, I probably have a gap there because I do love I love technique, I understand that well, and I love tactics, and I love watching people and go, why don't you think about this here, let's learn this shot so you can do that, and let's simplify things. You know, a lot of players have weird technique that we can sim and make them more solid. I probably wish I could have done a bit more of that at this point, but I still have had been in and around it, and I use that in the role that I play in the booth.
Speaker 1: If you think that that is something that is a gap, could you in five years. Do it does that interesting?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I know you've gone down one path.
Speaker 3: But you know the way that everything is in the world today, there's snippets of everything, right. I think it would be something that I could do in bursts you do. You could come in and work with a team on different things. You know, one of the things for me is transitioning to the net and voling. I know we can't serve volleying all that, don't think I'm that old. But you also can win matches by building pressure. But how do you do that? How do you transition? Where does that ball go? What's the percentages? Like? What volleys can we improve? Those are really exciting parts to me. And all of a sudden, you have a guy who doesn't think he can volley. You teach to volley. Game changes right because he's confident coming in at the right time, finish at the right moment, gets a break, holds a serve, wins a set and ranking change. Things are very possible, and there are moments in time, but you have to prep for them. That would be something that I would be able to do is to come in work with them and then send them on their way. Come back, reassess it, how we're doing, and go again, as opposed to doing a thirty eight week a year full time job, because I probably you know, I'm not up to speed enough on my pop songs and so forth to be really connected.
Speaker 1: That's a big commitment.
Speaker 4: It is a big commitment, especially if you've done it for.
Speaker 3: And it's been your whole life so well.
Speaker 4: Speaking about the game today and the sport, it's obviously changed a lot since you were playing. Is there anything in particular that you really love about the game right now and something that you kind of dislike a little bit.
Speaker 3: There's lots, I suppose. I mean, the game now to watch at times is extraordinary. Yeah. If you fortunate enough to sit courtside sometimes and just watch the pure power and athleticism, it's like, whoa, how are they doing that. The other part, though, is there is an element of groundhog Day within what we watch now that has developed. I think I was thinking about this with the success of Yannick Sinner more recently the Nine Masters series. Extraordinary what he's been able to Only one major left, and he's sort of got everything apart from an Olympic medal that'll be there.
Speaker 1: About like completing tennis. He's one all night Masters, he's three.
Speaker 3: And his age extraordinary. But what it got me thinking about was that how quickly two young players have come and stood way above the rest, and how did that happen? And one of the key things that has happened since the early days that I was talking about the mid nineties and two thousands is how much the surfaces have changed and how much as a player I had to think about will I be a fasco player or will I be a slow court player? And if you were really good, you could meet in the middle and become an incredible champion. However, today everything is similar and all the surfaces are playing pretty much the same. Can't you can't do it Wimbledon what I was able to do. And Yannik is such a great ball striker and player. Is he the most complete player? I don't think so. I don't think he has the skills and touches and transitions of Alcoraz, yet he certainly worked upon them and got better. He isn't ftter in moments, in time and creative points. Isn't Jokovic with the longevity. But we need contrast, we need different ball speeds. We need different court speeds because then you can have somebody come in and agitate a player like Sinner. And if we keep it too neutral, we're just watching this on a different colored surface. That's an important factor for our administrators and tournament directors to really think about. And so tennis today is far more demanding physically. Athletes are bigger, They are bigger and stronger of both wings. They have weapons on both wings which used to work on one side. You had a big fourhand or maybe had the great double hander, but you didn't have both. And serving is so dominant now, so part of the serving meant to neutralize the surface. So you know, do you fiddle with rules. I'm not a great thing on changing traditions of things, but I think let's start with making things a little quicker, a little slower, a little heavier. All those types of things are nuances which I think can be brought back into the game.
Speaker 1: Is that just on grass or do you think that's happened with clay as well?
Speaker 3: Well, it certainly happened with hard court. You know, hard courts are measured and neutralized and there's all that technology to know what the speed it is going to be and how it's going to play. I think clay is it varies a little, but in terms of we don't play much in Hamburg and stuff so much anymore, it's not a bigger toiments. So that's a different clay to what you get down in Spain and the powdery French dust of rolling Gaross. But the thing is, we now know that that ball, the way it bounces and the speed of it isn't that different to Wimbledon, and Wimbledon's been able to get a higher bounce from the beginning of the tournament. It's measured. They know it's going to bounce at a certain height, they know how much mois is going to be. That there isn't the nuance of the weather and an organic natural surface as much as what there was, So you know, that's really changed. As I explained, you know, I beat Pat Rafter on a court where I knew I'd played on it enough to know there was a little slope. If I could get it in there, I could get my surf to cut it would help me. That doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 4: That's exactly what I was thinking of when you explaining all of that.
Speaker 1: Just that story again, Yeah, how like it's been leveled out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's this laser level, yes, yeah, yeah, And they're perfect. They're beautiful to play on, you know. I mean I'm not complaining, which is but you know that's the whole thing about I say, a grass court right now, you can hit a sliding serve. It doesn't slide so much. It hits an is straighter. A kickserve is far more effective on grass. And it used to be yea kickserve used to be able to hit. Now it actually jumps and it's hard changes. See that that's changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, that's fair, Todd. This has been so great to hear these stories and learn learn a lot more about your journey. The last one from us is well, I guess yeah that now, like having come through those eras and how you commentate and you watch a lot now you alluded to Sinner and Our Christ before. We're seeing in tennis now these generational greats like Sinners, our Chrisis one seven, Major Sinners one four, she filond Texs one six, Savaline because one four. There's a lot of really good players playing right now. How do you think this era compares? And when you watch them? Yeah, what do they make you feel.
Speaker 3: Well. They're playing a level that no one's ever played before. I mean, I think the the Alchorz Sinner rivalry and the quality they're playing in their other matches before they get to I didn't think anyone could play more spectacular, impressive style of tennis than Federer. Yet they are, they are, They're playing bigger, They're playing. You know, our Crez has got that variety. It's been an extraordinary couple of years. I did not anticipate we were going to have that. Many people are tennis is in trouble, what are they going to and now they state it's in trouble because we've got two great champions. No one's ever happy. I think we are watching probably the best tennis we've ever seen. I think it is the most complete. I had the conversation about is Ciner the most complete player? Not yet, but in terms of what he's producing, the quality, the consistency, the manner in which he's been able to do it. So I talked about egos in locker rooms. We've got two incredibly well presented young champions on the men's side. Again, the women's side has got the competitiveness amongst that there's an ability for egos Jontech to go away and work with a Raffa and find a new way to come back at the and still have that fire so important to have. As we know with Raffa, Novak and Roger they all drove each other to greater heights. That's what they have delivered for this next era and be fascinating to see how the rest of the field, particularly on the men's side, can start to match and rise to the occasion to challenge these two young grades.
Speaker 1: Todd, this was an absolute pleasure. Thanks for joining us today to chat and Gray.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've gone down some rabbit holes that I was not expecting.
Speaker 4: But anyway, for us, we've got great stories out of this thanks to Pleasure.
Speaker 2: Well, Matt, great interview, and thanks to Vic for stepping in. Amazing job. But I'm really glad there's a part two because I learned so much in Part one. I guess about how tennis has been his life for so long, and even now his fantastic media career is built on the foundations of his start in the sport at age four.
Speaker 1: Well, we're really looking forward to bringing you Part two in a couple of weeks. We'll be back again next week with another episode of the sit Down. Please remember to subscribe so you never miss an episode when it lands in your feed, and if you could leave us a rating or a review, we'd love that too. See you next week, Viv, See
Speaker 2: You then, Matt,