Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week at night. Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you are currently watching and gives you a better insight at our television industry and streaming services. Today on the podcast, I have the latest eliminated queen from Rupol's Drag Race down Under. It is faux Fur. This week, the entire queer media has fallen over themselves to get a chat with the queens that make up Rupol's Drag Race Down Under Series two, which has had its first episode out on Saturday on Down Australia. Well, guess what, guys, I've gotten in line and rightfully so. The show has been an international sell leboration of queer and diverse themes which simply wasn't around when I grew up. What RuPaul has brought to the global stage is nothing short of amazing. And it has been phenomenal to see our entertainment reporters, journalists and podcasters of the like all supporting this Australian version. Sadly, I was sick last week, as you can hear in my voice, and I had to change my plans to attend the Sydney launch. But I have snapped out of it and I'm ready to bring you the tea Each week with the Eliminated Queens. These episodes are short, but certainly pack of punch. Much like today's guest, Foe was loud and obnoxious, but in Drag that is something to celebrate, So sit back and enjoy the chat and feel free to let me know what you think. However, let's get started with today's guest. I'd like to welcome Faux Fur to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: No matter how many time things go wrong, I just last things off. I am thrilled to be back down Under. The best part of it all is learning as you go. The last queen's standings will walk away with the title I'm going to come back on all starts? Didn't you settle teeth? Which one of my queens will snatch the title of down Under Next Drag Superstar. So I'm like trying to peace make the young girls not to attack the older girls, but they were both just going at it. Racist me the best drag queen, which I made myself a promise that I wouldn't change.
Speaker 1: IPO, how are you good?
Speaker 2: How are you e?
Speaker 1: Congratulations on making it onto RuPaul's Drag Rates down Under. You know, I want to ask you straight away. Your entrance was absolutely fantastic iconic. Was the hat not working? Was that a part of the routine that you planned or was that actually just classic faux.
Speaker 2: For girl that was that wasn't the first to have it. I wanted to go in there like yes and like bag but like like life is, you're gonna adapt real quickly and adjust to all these wardrobe malfunctions. I'm gonna burn the hat, burn the black panty. But no, it just kept falling, and I was like, right, we're just gonna make this work. You've done this for seven years. You should know how to adjust and make these things. Like you may want to lay that.
Speaker 1: You may want to lay up that MSG before you get a dined to me.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you may want to lay off that MSG before you get addicted to me. I'm glad they captured it and that Wardrome mouthfund you because it just shows you me, no matter how many times things go wrong, I just laughed things off because like literally, that hat would not give up. It was like, no, you're not having a moment, and I was like no.
Speaker 1: Now, well, the phenomenon of RuPaul has been such a huge international success. What was your first memory of RuPaul's drag rates.
Speaker 2: Getting cast in? Like literally getting the congratulate congratulations you are on season two? Oh oh my god. That was probably like a memory that I'll kick to life because I never knew that I could get on this show. I was okay, I put my audition in even though I wasn't going to because I was so nervous and I was like I'm not ready and that's just myself sabatore and I did it and then I got it and I was like, there is no way. This is a joke. This this this is a prank, this is they probably sent it to the wrong fo fir. But then I realized there's any one of me. But it was just so surreal and it goes down to date for me because getting that call made me go, wow, my dreams are coming true. Something that I always thought that was a fantasy became a reality and it was ridiculous. And then once that became a reality, I was like, Okay, what else can I do? Like I might as well take it to the whole new heights, Like my new goal is to be Oprah after this, And I'm not judging you. I'm dead serious. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I'm like, I want to be the next Oprah.
Speaker 1: Well this is a really good starting point, So let's you know, and I think there's a lot of people that are going to go with you on a journey, because even when we started to see the promos of season two, you definitely stood out amongst the crowd. So maybe an Oprah shows on its way.
Speaker 2: Maybe not anytime soon, because you know, I'm still too young and I don't have the Could you imagine me being a like Oprah at this age with the life experience that I have, and no one's gonna take me serious? So like that's down the track, But until then, give me my own reality TV show, make me the next Kardashian, and OWL can give it to you.
Speaker 1: Being eliminated first must have been a bit of a kick in the teeth for you. Did you want to throw a tantrum?
Speaker 2: I didn't want to throw a tantrum. I was very devastated. And if you did kick me in the teeth at least then I could go report you gave me straight teeth because you know, oh my god, it was it was hard, Like in the moment, I was like, holy shit, I'm here to represent Asian drag queens and you know what Australian Asian drags can do. And it was hard because I got sent home first and I didn't get to show so much. But the way the episode aired and was edited, it was perfect. It showed just a glimpse of whu faufur is wanting you for wanting a take, wanting you guys all wanting more. And trust me, there's so much more of me to give out there, and I'm gunning for All Stars. I'm telling you now I'll be back on All Stars because I feel like there is so much more that you guys don't know about me. But that's a good thing, because now I've left you on a cliff and your order like, shit, we really.
Speaker 1: Want to know more, you know what I really wanted to know when you left. I mean I thought you were going to be a part of the whole series. I mean, you allowed and you were obnoxious in the best way possible. But I just want to know, who were you going to do for snatch game?
Speaker 2: Everyone kids asking this question, and I was gonna do Bettman rock Ah.
Speaker 1: Can you give us a little bit of that now? In the words of.
Speaker 2: RuPaul Prince, what are you gonna do that, bitch?
Speaker 1: There was a prevalent storyline through episode one of series two about agism. Did you feel that the older queens were overlooked or that they weren't being given the respect they deserved. How did it play out for you?
Speaker 2: Oh, when that whole thing was happening, I was like on the other end of the work room unpacking, So I didn't really pay attention because I was like, I need to unpack everything. I need to get everything that wasn't organized in my little space. But I feel like I'm stuck in the middle because I am twenty seven years old. So I'm like trying to peace, make the young girls not to attack the older girls, but there were both just going at it, and I was like, guys, stop love, friendship, peace, But yeah, it should. Age should not be a thing to stop you from chasing your dreams and goals, even if you're young. Like, there are a lot of different life everyone's different, everyone's life experiences and lessons are different, and all is valid, you know. So when it comes to drag, there is no limit to it, There is no age to it. There is no gender or boundary to it. You do what you want to do in Dragon, that's the best thing about it. And having that topic come up was like categorizing it into something a bit negative for me because I'm twenty seven years old and I've been doing this for seven years, but I only started getting noticed two years ago when I just like when COVID happened, and I quit my full time job and I wanted to take drag seriously. And then COVID happened, and I was like, ah, Stavability, what happened? Universe? Fuck you? But that didn't stop me because I was like, you know what, this is going to show me. This is going to show how crafty I can be. And so when COVID happened, I created a show called Foam Mondays, and it started off in a little studio with me and my boyfriend living in a small studio and I just started doing it. And I'm not professional, not doing lives or podcasters or anything like that. I learned and I grew whilst every life I've done. So that's what I mean when it comes to doing drag or doing anything. Dreams and passions, you're never going to be ready for them. Ever, no one is ever ready for the opportunities and their dreams and goals. Just jump and go for it and learn on the way. That's the best part of it all, is learning as you go and then taking the blessings and enjoying those.
Speaker 1: You know, while you were going around and talking to everyone, I want to know what you thought of this, because the media keeps declaring this divide between New Zealand and Australia. Is that an unavoidable storyline or is there a bigger beef at play.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't know if there's any beef because I would just eat it because I love my food. Girl, girl's gotta eat. And trust me, if anybody, if you ever see me, I love my food, so I'm always eating. And anyone's like, where does this bitch put it? I just I'm like I don't know. Maybe because I exercise my mouth so much that I'm losing weight bym using my mouth. I feel like there isn't a divide. We are very you see it in the show how close we are as sisters, and on the premier and night were unseparable. So, yes, that's just TV how they want to bring out these storylines and everything, but that's just entertainment for you. Behind the scenes, it's completely different. It's still caddy, it's still shady, and it's still bitchy. But that's the part of drag that I love about because yes, it's sorry shade, but we do it in a way where there's love and humor to it.
Speaker 1: How did the producers find you? Because interestingly enough, as series one was going to happen, every series two was going to happen. All of these Australian drag queens were falling over themselves to get onto the show, and so some good questions to ask because people be listening going how did this happen for you? You know, how did the producer get in contact with you? Do they find you on social media? Do they go to one for drag shows? Did you send them some combination chicken and BEEFO.
Speaker 2: I just auditioned, literally just auditioned and waited two months and then like after the audition just went quiet and I was like, okay, I'm not on whatever broke down. But then like one morning I woke up and I was like, like, it was like getting a Willy Wonka golden Chicken, That's what it was. I woke up and I was like, there is no way, There is no way, right, And then I went back to sleep because I was like, this is a joke. No, went back to sleep for another four hours and woke back up and I was like, the emails still there. Oh my god, I'm on the show. And it's all such a blur because it happened so fast, so quick, remember so much, but all I remember is having fun and being so loud that when I came back, I didn't have a voice for like a month, like a good month.
Speaker 1: What are your suggestions for future queens? Like, what do you think drag queens across Australia and New Zealand need to do to get noticed?
Speaker 2: Just be you? I know that's hard to say because like obviously our drag personas are different to our boy personas. And sometimes it doesn't need to be separate, and sometimes it doesn't need to be an alter ego. You can do whatever you want. Like me, Ala Drag is the same person in Drag. You know, I'm still louder, self noxious, but the only difference is as this one here, miss faux fur makes the money whilst Tommy pays her bills and gets everything organized and makes her go like get a jobs. So the only advice I would say is just take the leap and go for it, because we're never going to be ready for these things in life. You can. You can always be so prepared for something, but when it actually happens, you're like, well, half the things I prepared for I didn't even use or get to use because you were too focused on preparing yourself when you should just go for it and learn as you grow.
Speaker 1: That's a really good advice. I think it's really kind of you to be able to share that. Can you nominate a future queen? Can you nominate someone that you think she'd go on RuPaul's Series three.
Speaker 2: I would love to see my drag daughter Mulan. She has been doing drag for maybe a year now and she's she's six seven. I don't know how I birth a six foot seven drag queen, but I did. I would love to see my daughter on that because it's also one of her dreams. And she's the complete opposite of me. She's more glamour, she's more royal, and then there's me. I'm just down route nasty and I'm like, she basically saw me, and she's like, I'm going to take every trait that I don't want some foe and completely change it because she's just so quiet and she's so sweet. For a giant, who.
Speaker 1: Do you think win or lose will have the most amount of interest in them once the show is over? Yes, this is kind of a question about the thirsty viewers out there. Who do you think is going to get the most amount of attention Me?
Speaker 2: It's about me. Yeah, they put me on the pork chop. I was pork chopped and I'm like, you just cut me off the show and there's not enough meat to cut and what bones? What pork to chart? Should just keet me in there?
Speaker 1: It must have been so interesting for you waiting for this to air on television. And what's the most bizarre message that someone has slipped into your dms. Since you appeared on the show.
Speaker 2: Girl audentist's sending me like discounts to fix my teeth. They'd be like, we would not to fix a RU girl's teeth, And I was like, I'm going to come back on All Stars New Settle teeth are fullsh like straight and nice pearly white. Because everyone's like, oh, she's going to go back, and every every drag queen, every single time they go back or come back onto a season, their lips are done. M I don't all real, so I don't think I need anything bigger, but I'll get my teeth.
Speaker 1: They're iconic though, they are a part of who you.
Speaker 2: Are, like exactly, they have character.
Speaker 1: I think that they have character, and you know, everyone walked away from the series could see that it's important to embrace who we are, embrace some of the things. I think there's an importance in the fact that you look so confident with it. And I don't know if you need to fix your teeth.
Speaker 2: I personally don't want to fix my teeth. Well, the thing is, as long as my teeth are healthy, and they are, I'm going to keep them. And also it's a trend in Japan. Do you know how many people want these type of teeth in Japan? It's a kawaii thing. It's like people go into search to get them jagged. And I was like, at least I was born with her like halloo, don't have to pay thousands of dollars to get crooked teeth. But like, people pick on me on that, on my teeth, and I honestly think they're insecure about something and I'm not. And I'm just happy with the way I am and in this community that we grow in, in this gay community, there is just so much judgment. There's a lot of negative connotations. But I think that's the best part. You grow tough a skin, So these things don't FaZe me as much as I would love to have free dentistry for the whole rest of my life, which someone did offer me that and I was like, oh my god, I got free dental for four years. And I was like, girl, yes, I'll take it. Because in this world and inflation, loving's free anymore.
Speaker 1: It is not. It is not. You know, before you go, you know, there's something I always ask everyone on this podcast, you know, I think this is like the one hundred and fiftieth episode. But everyone gets asked, what's something from behind the scenes that we didn't see that we won't see that you could share as a behind the scenes secret of RuPauls. But I do think that you might be under contract and you can't really tell us anything from behind the scenes. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Very right? But okay, there was a moment. There was a moment I think would have been also very iconic, and this would show you how c I am because I'm not the smartest bitch, even though I'm Asian and I'm an a grade student, but I failed a lot of other things in school. I said Sydney Lauper was a one hit wonder, which they didn't get. They didn't capture that moment, and all the queens just dropped their shit and they were like, you dumb bitch. And then they were like like, they're like to me, she did girls when they have fun, I see your true colors. And I was like, oh, only for she did, I see your true colors. And that's why I thought that she's the one hit wonder. Oh my god, I would have I would have died, like I would have got canceled for that. Literally for not knowing where pop culture and she's a gay icon and I'm sitting there like, I am bringing so much shame to the gay world right now. You just talked for this whole thing, and I was just like, you've gone quiet something.
Speaker 1: I'm asking everyone from your series just in case we can't do the behind the scenes thing. Is shady or a lady? You can answer these questions truthfully and be shady, or you can pass on the question and be a lady. These are the four questions. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Let's goal?
Speaker 1: Who was the most talented on series two RuPaul's Drag Race down under Me? Who was the funniest?
Speaker 2: The funniest was Spanky. She's hilarious. She's got that old school humor, and I feel that it's such an inspiration because I'm not that funny. So seeing someone funny naturally funny, I'm like, you got this.
Speaker 1: Who did you not like or who did you not get enough time to get to know?
Speaker 2: I think I about to know them really quickly, really fast, because I'm like, I feel like sometimes people are like to me, oh, you're in the wrong job, though, because I'm very good at investigating and just getting to know someone. In five minutes. So but the person I wish I got to know more was Uri.
Speaker 1: Okay, maybe you'll be on the Hunted Hunted series two as one of those private investigators.
Speaker 2: Oh can you imagine? I love that?
Speaker 1: Okay, who was the messiest queen who made the most amount of mess in the work room?
Speaker 2: Me and I'm so tiny. I met the biggest mess in the workroom. But it was chaotic mess. All my stuff was like dispersed everywhere in the workroom, and every single time I was trying to find something, it would be on the other side, like somewhere in the workroom, and it would take me hours to find. But yes, I have a messy wing.
Speaker 1: But this one, this one might be really hard for you. It might be really hard. But did you agree with last year's winner?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do agree because she worked so hard and she is so amazing and she won on her own challenge, so no one should take that away from her. So I do agree.
Speaker 1: I just want to say to you, I mentioned this a little bit earlier. When I watched all the promos for The Queens of Series two. I was so excited for you. I think you did a fantastic job. I was absolutely devastated. We were all blind sided that you left on episode one, and I can't wait to be in your audience to see what happens next.
Speaker 2: I can't wait either. Thank you.
Speaker 1: It was a lot to chat with you, Lovely, to.
Speaker 2: Chat with you. That was so much fun. So I'm still getting used to getting into it and talking about myself. It is hard. I don't like talking about myself because I'm like, when I go out and do drag, and what drag. What we do for drag is to make sure everyone else is having fun and making sure you're the life of the party. So for me to talk about myself half the time, it's hard because it's just a way of the way I was raised that we don't talk about it because it's like a cultural thing. It's like an ego thing, and the more you talk about yourself in my culture, it's like a negative thing. But I'm getting there. I'm getting used to expressing myself and talking about myself. It's so self absorbed, and I know it's funny because I've got nothing to orbit around me because I'm so skinny.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think it's a good thing for you, you know. I think it's a good opportunity for you to be able to sort of lean into the character of it as well and embrace that kind of obnoxious side, but then still behind closed doors be you know, this beautiful person that you are, you know that is a little bit more humble, you know, I think that those two worlds are quite separate when it comes to drag.
Speaker 2: I know and know what you mean, and it's hard because you also had to put yourself at standard of like where you now because I'm a rude girl. But at the same time, I made myself a promise that I wouldn't change, I wouldn't lose who I was as this journey grows.
Speaker 1: Well, even though you were allowed, I still thought that you had the most amount of heart in that episode. You know, the heart comes through. It's like reality TV. People often say, oh, it's you know in the edit, and they blame certain things, but the audience you can't lie to them. They get the truth regardless as to what you know. Producers choose to show us. And for you, we walked away with knowing you allowed and obnoxious in the best way possible, and that you have a lot of heart, and that's an amazing thing to have. Seen on such a big global platform.
Speaker 2: I know, thank you so much. I honestly, I'm a little girl with a big heart with a big mouth, Like it's just who I am. And there's so much love to share. There's enough negative things around the world, so I'm here to shine my light. I'm here to give you guys my heart. I'm here to just make sure that everyone is loved and cherished.
Speaker 1: And keep those tapes, I reckon, keep the tapes.
Speaker 2: I will. I'll definitely keepe them. They helped me to stay better. Can you like it's great? I can bite into things and actually threw them down and break them down faster. So put me in a food competition and I will win, trust me.