Speaker 1: This podcast is brought to you by on Track Studio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Yarning Up, a podcast that showcases stories of First Nations excellence to help us learn and unlearn Australia's history, to work tillward's a better future. I'm your host, Proud Barbara woman and founder of Blackwattle Coaching and Consulting, Caroline cal This podcast was taped on the sacred, stolen and unseeded Aboriginal lands of the Runduri people of the Coolin Nation. I pay my deepest respects to them, my elders, your elders, and all owners of country, of this beautiful place that we call home. Well, Tom Busby and Jeremy Maru aka the musical duo Buzzbymuru, Welcome to Janni Up. It's a huge pleasure to connect with you. As I was saying off a, we are huge fans of your work, so thanks for connecting today and how are you?
Speaker 3: Is today refreshed today? Actually we're on the Primo tour circuit for years, believe it or not, and it's totally different than touring. You work out during the day, you're up early, but you're in bed before eight o'clock.
Speaker 4: If you like Netflix, suber Eats, No kids, quite relaxing.
Speaker 5: That's been visited during the daytimes with nine times in bed early now kids.
Speaker 3: Best part of being an artist, Yeah, very rare. It only happens every few years.
Speaker 2: So you're going to suck it up, I bet, and no doubt we know that your mob have definitely got your hands full. Well, I'm wondering if we could start with maybe, you know, telling us a little bit about you and your story. We know that you've got a sixteen year long friendship and partnership, but maybe we could go back, tell us how you met and how you've come to be sure.
Speaker 3: Well, we're both Rockampton Boys and Central Queensland and Jeremy still lives there, and I'm still in Queensland, but I'm a lot further down south now in Corumbon Gold Coast and just started with just playing at pubs. Jeremy was playing in a band with a maid of mine and that was our mutual friend, and I was at union. I'd come home from the holidays and watch these guys play their covers and everyone loving them and having a good time, and so I brought my guitar along to their gigs and I'd jump up in between the sets, and when I got on, it's actually got to be boring. It's just me playing love songs originals too, so no one wanted to hear them. So I thought, hang on a minute, how do I get all this attention like he's got to getting And in the back of my mind was like, God, it'd be good to have Jeremy decide me because he can make anyone sound good. And anyway, as the years went on, that's what happened. That just timing was great. Our mutual friend left Risbond and I came back home for a year, and yeah, it just got Jeremy call.
Speaker 4: And said, let's link up and write some tunes and play at the pubs.
Speaker 3: And the amount of hours we put in Planet, every single club around town, every day of the week for nothing, actually free beer. We developed a sound and an audience as well. Or started Rocky kind of evolved. We didn't think that we're going to be doing this for a living. We just love what we were doing. That was why I.
Speaker 4: Think it went so well.
Speaker 3: We had no expectations, we didn't put pressure on ourselves, were just loving it.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: Snowboard with a few lucky calls and some opportunities that at the time we didn't know how lucky we were.
Speaker 2: I imagine it would be a pretty humbling experience kind of playing at pubs for as you say, for beer and just the joy of learning the craft. I mean, we're both of you musicians before taking the pub stages on. Is music always been in your crystal ball? Has it been something you both enjoyed growing up?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean I try to explain to people music is are part of culture for me and I mean from big, try strong family. Yeah, it's not something that you're toughish, just something that you do. Black pillows always they share their stories through song and dance. Growing up on Ship, every family had guitars around the kitchen and played songs straight after dinner, and so it was very natural for me and Tom's very similar to big musical families. We always knew we're going to play music one way or another, whether it's at the pubs forever or with the kids at home. But it wasn't for late. For me, it's like, well, well I'll just quit my job to do music. It's actually a job. It really wasn't until I quit my job. I was like, okay, no, it's it's serious now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: You know, music is such a big part of our big black households. I mean ours was Alan Jackson and playing the spoons. We didn't really have guitars laying around, but that coming together to sing and dance. Yeah, it's a huge part of black home. So how lovely and so did you follows grow up together in Rockhampton? You knew each other, knocked about as teenagers and kind of are now working together in this field.
Speaker 4: No, I mean we both met as teenagers nineteen and seventeen.
Speaker 3: I think we were when we met, but Jammy was a couple of years younger, and by that stage different schools.
Speaker 4: You always know each other and hear of each other, and here of people, I kind.
Speaker 3: Of took off straight up the boarding school, went straight to Brizzy to go to UNI, and you know, just coming home on the holidays, hear about this new young fellow that can play guitar. Real well, I'm looking at whatever, I'm like, wow.
Speaker 4: Who is this guy? That's where it started.
Speaker 3: We've got mutual friends and all our families are connected now and that's the beauty of coming from a great community in a country town like Rocky you know each other even if you sort of have never met.
Speaker 2: From knocking around in Rockhampton to going on to making five studio albums. This week you have released your fifth studio album, Blood Red. Congratulations. It's a beautiful album. It's so calming and serene. It feels like a warm holiday. But there's obviously a deep, soulful storytelling throughout all of your music, but particularly potent in this album. I'm wondering how you follows would describe this album and the journey in creating this kind of new sound.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, it's been a longer journey than most because of what's happened in the world, but that actually has worked in our favor in the past. You know, we wrote Jimmy mentioned this yesterday. We had our whole life to write the first album, and then the second, third, and fourth. It was just like quick, quick, quick, knock them out and thankfully don't have too much time to think about those. But with this one, we were thinking about the album. We were hanging out their family. We knew that we couldn't tour too much. It was actually a relief when the rest of the world, particularly the music industry, and it probably feel bad saying this when they were all probably struggling and we're trying to work out what to do next with their careers or how to get work. We were actually the opposite because we just hadn't been able to spend that real good quality time at home with our families. So part of the pro calmness you might hear from that is a little bit of a relief that we got from the shutdown to be able to just hang with their family and say no to gigs for the first time in fifteen.
Speaker 4: Twenty years, we're actually saying no.
Speaker 3: Then, when it came to record the album, we were in no rush, couldn't release an album anytime soon. But we had about twenty songs done, thought that was the album, but none of those songs made the album. And so fast forward and we had a heaps of cool experiences. We were playing random shows every now and then, and so leading up to those shows, one was up in Port Douglas. Let's get a couple of days in Port Douglas and set up the gear, and let's get a place outside of cans in an airbnb and see what happens and just yeah, mulaney, we went to Great kepl no pressure. We didn't have to go there and write a song and had to be great. We just went and we took mates and collaborated and I think as a result, the collection of songs.
Speaker 4: Probably better than most albums so they say, or kill ant Phillip.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we had time to reflect on the stories and probably something I've realized recently because we played the album Start Finish recently out of a beautiful event. KP.
Speaker 4: Hillsbrough the stories.
Speaker 3: In the past, we probably tried to write for other people, or write for radio, or write for a purpose.
Speaker 4: This has written for us.
Speaker 3: These are our genuine stories of where we are in our life and remembering and reflecting back. In a way, it's a lot more timeless than anything we've done.
Speaker 2: Wow, that sense of kind of growth and maturity as artist, but being able to sort of do the music that you love for you and it sounds that we're slowing down and kind of going back to your roots, your family, the things that light you up. Has created this ease with it all and it kind of shines through in the album. Have you got any kind of favorite songs?
Speaker 1: On the album.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are quite a few, and they are so different as well in some ways. So any favorites.
Speaker 5: Tom's changed every sad day. Someone ask him it's a different one different. Yes, mine's pretty solid. Minds smiles from a stranger, maybe because it goes back to our roots. It's just an acoustic guitar and some beautiful harmonies. But I missed out on the riding the demo for this home for some family stuff, and.
Speaker 3: I heard it the next day.
Speaker 5: I was like, well, that's so good anyway, So we went to the studio where we tried to re record it to make it all sound even nicer, and we just couldn't get it. So I kind of insisted that we keep the demo version as the real version.
Speaker 3: I just added some harmony and some.
Speaker 5: Tasteful guitar, and what you hear is the demo version on the album.
Speaker 3: I'm going.
Speaker 1: And I'm over the line.
Speaker 3: He just smile from a stranger, Probably mine right now, maybe because we've been talking at about it a bit the last few days. Is a song called Someone, and that's just the combination of the process of writing it, which was awesome, and how it makes me feel at the moment, but the writing process was by far the most exciting we've ever been involved in. And that is we were overseas and we got to write this with Darius Rucker or Hoody and the Blowfish and obviously you know American superstar and got a call to say, hey, do you want to write with Darius Rucker and go down to his place in South Carolina. We thought it was a stitch up, to be honest, how does this happen? It just came out of the blue. We went to his house and we still didn't know whether we were writing for him, with him for us, for what was going on, or we were just meeting him and no one could tell us anything more. But yeah, he's like, no, I just love Aussie's having it right with you guys would be great. And so we've spent a day at his house having a beer and he's awesome. Man.
Speaker 1: Cave you can only imagine.
Speaker 3: Was bigger than my house. Yeah, surrounded by sporting memorabilia. And the last two people there to write a song with him there was justin Timberlake and Chris Staples. Yeah, and we wrote this song and it was a song that I'd had at my sleeve for a while, and I don't know whether I wasn't confident because it was sounding like a timeless song and I was hoping that to be that. Jamy was the one that courages us to do it. He's like, no, no, there's something in that song. Let's do it. And then what Dary has brought out of us is don't overthink it and just get straight to the point. And you know, in the past we're probably trying to be a bit more youthful and cool and hip, and with this song.
Speaker 4: We just went straight to it.
Speaker 3: And all the great songwriters and our biggest influences, you know, the Willie Nelson's and Tom Petties, Bruce Springsteen's, they just get straight to it and they don't try to fill it up with hipster cool stuff.
Speaker 4: They just tell the story as it is, and that that's what this song was about.
Speaker 3: It's just about fine in love, but it takes a few times to get through it. Whether your heart's broken or whether you break your hearts, there's someone And also I just love the production of it. It's easy going at slow paced, and Jeremy's got a beautiful solo one which is sounding really cool live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for my first brothers and.
Speaker 3: I saw walking around she said, you have a drink salt.
Speaker 2: What a process in terms of creating that song, having no idea that you're going to make a song with Darius that day. What a beautiful, beautiful story. One of my favorite songs. And I don't know whether it's because it's just a point in my life right now where I'm at as a coach and working with a lot of First Nations women in this power of surrendering. A lot of us, you know, have big loads, big mobs and are taking on a lot. But one of my favorite songs on the album so far is Surrender. I really love it. There's actually some lyrics in there that talks about maybe I should let it go, just like you said one thing, I know, time ain't fair, And yeah, I'm wondering if you can expand a little bit on what was the inspiration behind this particular song and maybe expand on some of these lyrics, because it's a really beautiful and poetic song and just the power of us all surrendering to what's in and out about control at the moment. What we are taking on is a really beautiful thing.
Speaker 3: Now, Well, thank you. Firstly, that's probably over all the band's favorite. That song in particular, Minds is mostly of our sound, you know, our original sound, and again one of those songs that we're not trying to write it for anyone else, are actually pouring out our feelings. And obviously you can take this interpret and however you like, but you're spot on with that.
Speaker 4: It's a big challenge to surrender.
Speaker 3: And it's pretty easy to have imposter syndrome and you feel like you're not at the right place because you're not supposed to be there, and it's just accepting, it's trying to be accepting, whether it's in love, this kind of reflection of a lot of people not committing to something because they're scared of the future or scared of what's about the happen. Is it the right move, It's not the right move. And timemt fairline probably sums that whole song up. Don't waste time, you don't know what's around the corner. Just let go, Let go, and whether that's fall in love or taking a job that you're not sure of, or actually just shaking out that imposter syndrome. And our name the only way to become successful is to do something. Just do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take that action, take that step, you know, be brave, and yeah, you're right. Time is not promised and so yeah, all we have is now and given into red hot go right. I mean, as I mentioned before, your friendships and your partnership in music is sixteen years. I imagine with any partnership there would be maybe some little bumps in the road or how you guys work together to create I'm curious to understand as a team, what goes into making an album like this, and how do you work together?
Speaker 1: What's the creative process?
Speaker 2: How do you manage those little bumps in the road about work together?
Speaker 5: I think we've got a lucky relationship really because we don't necessarily disagree on much, even with the music side of things. Early days it was different. I wanted to be a country band. Tom wanted to be a single songwriter. I was like, oh, we should be country. Would have been a good Actually, now we know bread and butter, and a lot of that had to do with learning our trade together and Rocky playing a thousand gigs in pubs a week. We know our sound and it's our first album. A great producer Anthony Losanka is no longer with us, but he made us sit and.
Speaker 3: Play play, play, play, play, repeat the song and packed the song and then record it. And I was just sitting the man.
Speaker 5: I've done this a thousand times literally, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that process really drummed our sound into us. And a lot of people say, oh, I love your first album. Love your first album. Through our first album right through to our last one, fifth one. We've added stuff and we've taken stuff out and we've added stuff from let's do a pop album, make it more country. So we know our roots, We know what our bread and butter is, and that makes it easy when it comes to a greend on things. One thing we always going to ground that it needs to be acoustic and with some nice harmonies.
Speaker 4: We didn't argue a bit too much miss recorded nah.
Speaker 3: I think the other thing is as you get older, you just do understand each other or you know, you don't make people do what they don't want to do, and you know you weet your mates first and foremost and say you've got to respect that part of it.
Speaker 4: And we're both family men. We love each other's kids.
Speaker 3: You know, we look after each other's families, really tight with each other, so that that's a big part of it. And you know, same with our crew. To a certain extent, we're probably to a fault. We actually our crew and our band there become our family, which is awesome because that's how you want to operate. But when it's someone's a little bit out of line or it makes it hard then because then you've got to put the boss hat on and that's not something we want to do. But at the end of the day to running a business as well, so and I it's not like that, but the crew we still got a big family vibe as well, but we're trying to juggle all the hats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the boundaries, I hear you. I guess it sort of sounds like, as you say, you know, really spending that time early in your career defining and getting clarity on where your strengths are, what it is you want to put out there. That discipline in rehearsing and practicing kind.
Speaker 1: Of gave you that clarity.
Speaker 2: And it's beautiful because when we spend time in understanding our values and our why, then we don't often waver from that. So it sounds like that's kind of the case, but in essence you mob have just grown and evolved and built on those sort of early foundations. That's cool to hear the process of working together. Also, because you too have four children in each I'm sure that when you come to work, the art of negotiation and bargaining and conflict management should be at a allow.
Speaker 3: When you put it that way, it is so much easier in the studio negotiating and trying to convince my four year old that you can't have fruitlets midwek for breakfast, traumatizing me.
Speaker 4: They're just thinking about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, trigger, trigger. I know you both have four kids. What are the ages, Jeremy, how old are your fault?
Speaker 5: So I've got a nineteen year old he turned in ten years actually fifteen sixteen, and a five.
Speaker 1: Year old beautiful and Tom, what's your mom play?
Speaker 4: And so Jeremy joined me.
Speaker 3: Lady felt sorry for me because I was down again, and he thought it was funny and then wasn't funny In the end, after his nine year gap, almost eight year old, seven year old, six year old, four year old and a almost two year old.
Speaker 2: Handful, how was fathers and business owners and musicians and friends.
Speaker 1: How do you juggle it? What does it look like?
Speaker 2: How do you find time for yourselves and also for family and for you know, the creative process.
Speaker 4: It's totally different now.
Speaker 3: I look at Jeremy's the way his relationship with these children now and mine, and probably i'd say be totally different because when we were young and we didn't really care about the actual structure of the business. We just cared about playing gigs. Jeremy was in the thick of it with these young kids. You probably can't even remember those times. I imagine I going to it, appreciated going to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not all the time.
Speaker 3: You come home and want to sleep. And I didn't have any sympathy for him because I was like, who cares, you know? But I could go home and just sleep all day long. And now that it's the other end, but it's all about the business side of it, and it's for me. The juggle is real. Man. My wife works full time and she travels away for work as well, and say, you know, I'm away for a couple of weeks now, and she's kind of desperately needing to go away for her work, so she's blocking it in the calendar, so when I walk in the door, it's usually like high five out. She goes for a few days and I've got the full kids and I'm back into that mode again, which I do love. But one thing you do want to show you kids is that you're a hard worker. You want them to be hard workers. And it's difficult in a way because we've got this job that seems so easy and so fun, and it's like we have a party every night, which we are. Every day is a Saturday. We work, so we work our asses off here. In order to be successful in whatever you do, you're going to get up and go to work and work hard and say, I want.
Speaker 4: To show my kids that I'm starting to do that a bit more.
Speaker 3: The last few years was just literally just trying and put one foot in front of the other with babies and nappies. But you can see the light now and so now I'm serving to kind of shove that I'm trying to be healthy as much as it can be and just going to work. It's important that they go to school and daycare know that their parents actually work, and I think that's a good I hope it's a good example set.
Speaker 5: We've got the same priorities to which makes life easy for both of us. We blank outur school holidays. We don't care what things come in. We're home in school holidays. It gets great, so we think the same. We both we're a lot more mature now than we were fifteen years ago or two, which also helps, not a lot, just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, I imagine having the four little ones keeps you pretty young and youthful as well, and you know, holding onto that sense of joy. But yeah, it's beautiful to hear that. I mean, you're right, you know, kids look at what we do, not what we say, and as you say, showing them that to work is to make something of yourself, but to do something you actually love as well is really cool. Not to that sort of corporate hustle and grind that so many of us are led to believe is important, but following your actual dreams and passions, and it's nice that you get to share that part of your lives together. The two is being dads and sharing that journey when.
Speaker 1: You're on the road.
Speaker 2: I know that you're coming up to a tour in August and September. What does the process look like in sort of nourishing yourself when you're on the road. Is it possible to slow down in those moments or do you have any practices and ways to sort of stay grounded through all of that, because I imagine the chaotic family life and then the chaotic on the road would be another form of chaos.
Speaker 3: Well, to be honest, bad example is the Tiny Tawns tour which we just finished. That should actually be a billboard for how to not nourish yourself. But the different tours for different reasons. We used to be able to just get up and go, and I'm talking we didn't sleep a lot on the tour. We were partying.
Speaker 4: We played the gigs every night. Was unbelievable. Couldn't believe a plan to all these people.
Speaker 3: And then you go out afterwards and maybe the labels there and you meet people, and then you've got to go to the airport. Then you've got to hit the ground run and you do promo all the way up to the gig, and you play the gig and you have a few beers to get through it. So you developed pretty bad lifestyle very quickly. But because you're young or you're made to doing that anyway, on the weekends. We're doing it every day of the week, so you can really develop bad habits, which we did, like most bands, but we just literally can't do that these days.
Speaker 4: We still do, don't get me wrong, We still do have those huge.
Speaker 3: Nights, get up and go the next day, it's a slog and the worst thing is then after that is then going home after a huge weekend of gigs and two much drinking or not much sleep, and then you go home to your kids and you're just not a good person to be around. You still get up and do the jobs, but you're pretty grumpy, grumpy, grumpy, grumby old man. That's right. So that was the Tiny Towns tour. But there's a time and place for those shows because you're in small communities. And the whole idea of that is you're supposed to invest into those people, into the town, and we love doing that. It takes us toll that the big turm coming up. Jeremy was just talking about our schedule. There was one week there that looks like Foreshore. It's got to be our busiest week of all time. A's eight shows and seven days or different cities and five maybe us six. I don't want to think about it at the moment. But in order to get through that too, I think it's just you treat it more business minded. You look after your voice. If you can't sing or we can't play, all these people that have bought tickets, they won't get to see the best show. So yeah, I'm looking forward to actually being healthy this tour. We've been saying that a lot over the past few years. But hopefully kick my time.
Speaker 2: I mean imagine it would be quite difficult to manage any sort of structure and routine when you're on the road. But again hearing the journey with it all and working it out and being kind to yourself along the way, you know, speaking of to it, You've toured with incredible musicians Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel Out and John dolly Parton, James Blunt, Guy Sabashian List goes on, can you share any memorable moments or any good stories from any of that time that is worthy of noting and love to know if there's any memory stories.
Speaker 5: Well, they're all pretty amazing, got stories for every single one of them. Elton John was probably for me the highlight discause of his I won the size of the shows and to how good he was live his age to go and sit on a stage for two hours non stop and play song after song after song.
Speaker 3: He's seriously good.
Speaker 5: We met him a couple of times, was briefly passing and he said, I'll pop down and I'll pop down and I'll come and say today.
Speaker 3: And the one night that he came to a dressing room.
Speaker 5: To say good a was Broncos and Melbourne Storm were playing the semi final.
Speaker 1: I'm a Murray so I get it TV now.
Speaker 5: The crew were watching AFL, so we left three pact that we played and we got back to our motel.
Speaker 3: That night.
Speaker 5: He walked all the way from his dressing sheds to our dressing room to say gooday and was like, no one's there.
Speaker 3: We were gone. Well he met all our crew and all that we just met, and I'm like, what him in a meeting probably, but anyway, it was that was an awesome experience. Meeting Dolly Parton was believable as well. She was so nice. But we had to line up like in this huge line of all these famous people as celebrities as well lining up with us, and we were the one supporting and that was really cool. You mentioned Alan Jackson, and actually I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: We supported Alam Jackson as well, like true God.
Speaker 3: Forgot about that. We didn't get to meet Alan Jackson. But with Tim McGraw, oh that is a story. We were fresh meat. I mean it was probably our.
Speaker 4: First kind of big support festival.
Speaker 3: We were the first band on and here we can't were the first due looking rock and Rayle rip Jeets and everyone else is pretty formal and pro, and Tim McGraw was pretty pro talking about looking after your health. He was at that stage of his career where he had then made it very important that there's no alcohol backstage. His crew can't drink for the gig. They've all got to get up and do a run six k's or at least walk every day and trying to.
Speaker 4: Get everyone healthy.
Speaker 3: And they're all lott of colors. These guys have been his band for twenty six years. Or and Jeremy and I having a party in our room. We played our gig and we're having this huge party, and we had a mate plan that did redo for us and we're having this party and this is awesome, but we tucked our way so we couldn't get in trouble and then a couple of the guys from the band Tim mcgrath'sby got the sniff of this noise and they're like, whoa, these guys haveing.
Speaker 4: A party, So they snuck down his whole room. They had a party with the first support fan on What made it Even.
Speaker 3: Our manager at the time was real good at talking rubbish and he was so funny and we weren't even knowing then, but he rang around like a nightclub and said, hey, these guys are I'm managing it's been They just got number one on iTunes. We had nothing huge lineup. It was Townsville, actually towns one of the same rocks. It was a huge lineup outside this huge nightclub, and of all the things, we shared a limousine with Chuggy Chuggy to drop him off to the actual event where Tim Gral's band and all the other bands were going, but we didn't want to go there. We just went to this nightclub and we used the car limo. We didn't get out like this, just over and the security go you here they are and opened the door.
Speaker 4: So it was just all false.
Speaker 6: They didn't Oh my god, who were these guys? All the Tim McGraw's crew and all the other bands that were much higher than us on the bill. They were all ringing our manager going can you get us in? Can you get us in? They left their party to come to.
Speaker 1: The crew. I love that. What a great story.
Speaker 2: And it goes to show I've seen these things on YouTube where people get false paparazzi or whatever and get a real g up and people just start following the crowd.
Speaker 1: Oh, what a great story. I'm surprised you remember it.
Speaker 4: One of the great memories as you see it with young artists.
Speaker 3: Though. The reason it.
Speaker 4: Worked is because we literally thought.
Speaker 3: We were that was the biggest thing that was ever going to happen to us. You know, that was massive. At the time we played, probably I don't know, maybe there was twenty thousand people there and we probably played to the first two thousand that were walking through for us. I didn't know if they heard a song.
Speaker 4: We didn't care.
Speaker 3: We were part of it. And now we look. We had a young fellow supporters in a rocky at local boy named Jame and Bob, and he was so good and he never played a gig, and I remember watching him and the excitement, the absolute excitement he had with his family and his friends there getting fight eysed and all cheering for him, and he played fifteen or twenty minutes and it was like, wow, that's right. We used to feel that the part of this cell was we actually believed it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ever that sort of young invincibility and just yeah, living your best life. I was at a gig at the corner in Richmond. He probably would know it, probably in Horned of Yours. There was a lad the young like followed Sam's Rizzy. He was playing He's like seventeen. It was his debut gig, and just the elation and the aunts were there, and you know, it felt like everyone rolled out the Red Cup and just thinking about this is going to be such an important time in his career, that first time of getting up there, and we were.
Speaker 1: All just so tough for him. I mean with that in mine.
Speaker 2: You know, for any new artist out there, people who are starting their careers as you MOB are at the fifth studio album. Any advice that you give to anyone who's starting out and doesn't have that sense of clarity that you MOB have, well they.
Speaker 5: Just take it all in your stride, enjoy every bit of it. There's no right or wrong in songwriting and anything, there's no right or wrong. You make smart decisions, look at it like a business. But the main thing is it's just savor every second of it, rememberable and it's hard to think that at the time, but just talking about those early memories now and thinking about these young kids, how happy they are.
Speaker 4: It doesn't get better in ten years time.
Speaker 3: And if you're going well and you got to create, not that you become cynical, but it becomes a business and you start. You know, you might sell a thousand tickets, but it's twelve hundred people. Okay, it wasn't I sold out. You know when your first people are coming. You might have twenty people that come to your first gig in Melbourne. You're like, it's huge people. How do they know us?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So appreciating that.
Speaker 3: And also big bit of advice and no matter how much advice they get on this, they'll definitely suffer. This along the way is don't compare yourself to anyone else because you'll start doubting yourself. Just worry about your own backyard journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really good advice. I think living in the digital age that we live in. You know, comparison becomes the kind of thief of joy, and keep sort of reminding myself and clients and people I work with in people in our community that you know, if you're looking at someone's story, they might be on their chapter fifty.
Speaker 1: We're on our chapter.
Speaker 2: One water our own grass instead of thinking about what's over there. So it's beautiful advice to not get disillusioned by the process and the sense of mastery and the journey.
Speaker 4: Of it all.
Speaker 2: All right, So August September, you're hitting the road. Where can we find you? Where can we see you? Where can people come and experience the beautiful magic that is blood Red.
Speaker 3: Well in Melbourne, we're playing at the corner Ah Local. I'll see you spent a few years, I think last time we were there we had the Testy brother supporting our.
Speaker 4: Talking about support acts.
Speaker 3: We are hoping she does just as good as the Testy Brothers because we absolutely love her. We've got Jim Cassadally joining us on the road, who is just so good. She's so good. And Steph Strings is another awesome young female talent that's joining us for three shows Sydney, Thuryule and Newcastle obviously all up and down the East Coast.
Speaker 4: Pretty much everywhere.
Speaker 3: We're not going to Western Australia just yet, so anyone over there that's been asking, we're definitely working on something for you guys. But yeah, I think have some really beautiful venues, the Princess Theater and Brisbane, and of course in October we take it to our home rock Hampton, Keys Townsville, Mackay and everything's selling very well. So we're really thankful for everyone that's been supporting this and it's going to be good to get back out there.
Speaker 2: And you know, we'll all be following along the beautiful journey on socials, no doubt. We love your social media here at Blackwatt or just so and down to earth and just a really good vibe. So all up and down the East Coast not quite at wa and how nice to go back home and play with the mob there and kind of come back after this whole journey. Yeah, that's too neat well, Jeremy and Tom, it's been so lovely to connect with you too today and to learn more about what goes on behind the scenes. And congratulations again on your new album and.
Speaker 1: Can't wait to see you at the corner.
Speaker 3: I'll be there, yes, bring it on.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the chat, great, thank you, Thank you so much for listening. You mob.
Speaker 2: If you are vibing this season of yarning up, then please head over to Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts from to show us some love, rate and review. Alternatively, you can get in contact and give us some feedback by visiting www. Dot carolinecow dot com dot au