Speaker 1: Once you realize, I don't know, depends what you've been through. I suppose once you realize that every single day, depending on what your mood is, it doesn't really matter regardless, you have been blessed with another day, and even if it's not the best day, you are still able to wake up tomorrow and do more things for yourself or try again or better yourself in different ways. That as well as if you're going through hell, keep going. That's something that resonates with me because my mom, she's been sick a lot of my life, so she has a lot of little like different diseases, ailments, just things like that that she just keeps going. And I'm like, Okay, if my mom can do this, I can make it. I can make it through another day. It'll be all right.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Rise and Conker Podcast. I'm your host Georgie Stevenson, former lawyer turned entrepreneur, social media personality and personal development junkie. This podcast is for my girl gang who want to feed their mind with positive and expansive thoughts to help them step into their power and live their most authentic life. We chat a variety of topics including mindset, business, relationships, health, and so much more. Basically, wherever you are on your journey, I want to help you feel inspired and empowered to rise up and conquer your next bold move. I know that's going to look different for everyone, but just no, I'm right here by your side and that you have the RNC community behind you.
Speaker 3: Let's do this.
Speaker 2: Hello guys, and welcome back to the Rise and Conquer Podcast. I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson, and today I am joined by the very inspiring, very motivating Libby Christiansen. So Libby is chatting to us all the way from the US. So the audio isn't one hundred percent, but this episode is worth it, so stick with us. If you don't know Libby, she is a woman of many talents. She's an absolute powerhouse in the gym. I follow a lot of her workouts. They are hard but epic. She is a fellow Jim Shark ambassador, and she's a much love Instagram and YouTube star. Plus just to add things on the top, she's also studying at UNI and she's just about to graduate, which is so so exciting for her. In this chat today, we chat about motivation, we chat about her health and fitness journey, how she got started on social media and really what was a pivotal moment in her rise, and we also get into a huge role in the Black Lives Matter movement. This episode was such a great chat. Libby is like honestly so full life and just so much energy. I think you guys are going to love it. Let's get into the show, Lippy, welcome to the Rise and Conquer Podcasts.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I'm happy to be on here. I guess, yeah, on here.
Speaker 2: I know it's weird, like gosh, like I'm happy to be you know, on air or like what do I say?
Speaker 4: Yeah, It's okay. I'm just excited.
Speaker 1: I'm super I'm thanking you were like, I want to meet with Livy and I want to talk. So thank you, No, right back at you.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: I've been a long time follower and lover of all your content, so I just want to share you with my rn C fam and get into it.
Speaker 4: Yay Georgie.
Speaker 1: When I tell you I've been watching you since I was a child, since it's been a hot minute, I feel like we've grown up together, so it's all the same same level.
Speaker 2: I love that I love that, So let's get straight into it. For those who don't know who you are, could you just give us a little snapshot of who is Lippy?
Speaker 3: What does she do?
Speaker 4: Sure? Okay, So my name is Libby Christiansen.
Speaker 1: I just turned twenty three in January and I'm a current college student. I actually should be finishing up college with my degree in liberal Arts and Sciences. I'm majoring in communications and I'm minoring in psychology. That takes up a lot of my time. But other than that, I am your average little social media gal. I post my workouts, lifestyle content, all kinds of stuff. I just share myself with the internet, you know, as we do. But I live a pretty average life as of right now. A lot of my focus is on school. I should be done next week, so I'm just counting down the days next week.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's done. College done.
Speaker 1: I'll be a full college graduate. I'll be a first generation graduate in my family. So I'm very excited about it.
Speaker 3: Congratulations.
Speaker 2: That is so epic. Oh my goodness. And what are the plans for after college?
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 1: I'm thinking I will just kind of let it ride, wait it out, just because so much is up in the air. I want to enjoy my time where I can actually focus on content and social media, doing what I really enjoy, kind of expanding myself online and then you know, seeing what happens afterwards, but definitely trying to travel and use the time that I'm not using towards school right now to kind of just enjoy and relax.
Speaker 2: Well, all I can say is, if you know we're not even getting the full Libby and you're like doing all of this with college and content and everything, guys, imagine when she's finished college and we.
Speaker 3: Have the whole Libby. I'll just watched out. I'm scared and uproar.
Speaker 4: Literally, Libby will be in every corner, I swear.
Speaker 2: I just imagine the content you can create.
Speaker 4: I can't wait for it. I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: I feel like it'll be a huge weight off of my shoulders, a huge stress relief. I've been able to quit like a in person, full time job while also juggling social media as well as full time college, so I've like knocked those out slowly but surely, and eventually I'll get down to just being able to focus on what I really enjoy. So I can't wait for that.
Speaker 2: I absolutely love that, and I resonate with that so much. I remember doing my social media and UNI and it's just like when you can't focus on one thing fully, you feel almost like this guilt for even one.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I'm torn in too many directions.
Speaker 2: Ah, yes, but so bloody exciting. Can you give us just a little snapshot, like, what does the day in the life look like for you? I'm sure it's different, but a typical day in the life right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely so. Usually I will wake up.
Speaker 1: It just depends on the morning, and I'm really a morning workout person, so I like to get to the gym as early as possible. It depends if I have like online meetings or anything like that, but I'll usually wake up anywhere between like six to seven thirty, and then I'll head to the gym do a workout, usually takes a couple of hours, and then I will head home, hop onto meetings, kind of start my day, answer emails, all that kind of stuff, and then I kind of relax do content edit depends on if I film the YouTube video or what content I'm wanting to put up, like if it's a workout on Instagram or TikTok or anything like that. Then I kind of relax, eat some food, hang out with my dog and my boyfriend, and really just connect with a lot of people online. That's what I find myself doing throughout the day quite a bit. I'll answer dms and comments, have full conversations, and then eventually I will start to wind down, have some more food, and then I'll start like schoolwork at the end of the night, so I can actually just like focus on that all of my day is really out of the way, and then that's about it, just the same routine each day.
Speaker 2: I love that I'm the exact same, Like my day is so pretty much the same. And when yeah, so petive and when people are like, oh, like why don't you vlog more, I'm like, cause it's boring, Like I don't do anything interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hope that there's some type of like excitement throughout my day so I can be like, oh my gosh, should I film this? Should I document it?
Speaker 3: But I'll put this on my stories?
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Let's kind of get into your health and fitness journey. So that's definitely what I see you focused on your social media, and you can see you have so much passion and so much like you know, motivation, and to be completely honest, you're so my hype girl. Like when I'm lacking motivation for health and fitness, like fitness, I go to your page because I love like your mini rants and you know, just the yeah, you can see the spirit is there, which I absolutely love. Can you tell us about your health and fitness journey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm really happy that it all translates really well. That's what you see on Instagram is what you see in person. I am all energy, A million topics are in my head at one time, so I'm glad that it translates the same way. But in terms of my health and fitness journey, I've always been an athlete. I ran track and field when I was in middle school. In high school, I was a sprinter and that's what I loved to do. And then my junior year, so eleventh grade, I stopped doing track because I was focusing on work because I had to pay for everything myself and I was just very you know, I had my priority straight. So unfortunately I had to stop running track, and also the coach at the time, I don't know if you've like been in athletics where a coach will make you actually like loathe the sport completely, like hate it because they take pride in you rather than like their work.
Speaker 4: They think that you are just everything to them. I don't know.
Speaker 1: My coach really made me like mm disliked the track and feel the whole sport of it.
Speaker 4: So I kind of fell out of love with it. But I had a lot of like.
Speaker 1: D one university scholarships, but I didn't want that coach to receive credit for me, so I actually just stopped running completely my senior year. So when that happened this summer of my senior year, after I had graduated, I really lacked like direction because for so many years I was having somebody tell me, all right, go sprint this, go do this, do long jump, all of this, and I didn't know what to do with myself. So my sister she was like into, you know, the influencers. This was like twenty sixteen when it was you know the world of fitness influencers had just like really begun, and she was like, have you seen all these like influencers working on and everything. I was like no, But she told me about the gym, and my sister and I didn't grow up together when we were younger we're twins, but now we're like a lot closer. But at the time, she was telling me about it, and I somehow went to the apartment gym at my dad's house because I was visiting my dad in Utah and she was visiting my mom here in Kansas. And I went to his apartment gym when he was at work one day and I just started lifting some weights. That's really how I got into weightlifting, and from there I really just enjoyed it. It makes me feel super strong and powerful, confident, and I feel like that's like my zone. So I really haven't stopped lifting since then. But yeah, I definitely take pride in not going your typical route in terms of like fitness influencers. I guess that will come out with plans and an app and whatnot. I truly just started my Instagram showing like my accountability or my little workouts that I was doing, and it just spiraled into this. So what you've seen if you scroll back, is just like my entire journey, I suppose. But I've never been the type to just come out with a plan or anything like that. First of all, I'm not certified to do so. In second, it's just like a free resource. I've never claimed that I'm a professional or anything like that, but I just enjoy sharing stuff. Sharing My personality and my finish journey is really tied into my lifestyle, so it's super simple for me to be authentic in that way online.
Speaker 2: M I love that and I resonate with that because I'm much the same where I'm not necessarily well, I'm not I'm not qualified as you know, a pet, but I just really enjoy sharing my workouts, like I don't have to pay for them, and I just.
Speaker 3: Really enjoy it.
Speaker 2: And obviously, you know, I have some sort of knowledge because I've been training since I was seventeen. But I love your workouts because I always go to them and I do a lot of them when I'm like, I want to know, bullshit workout and I just want to, like, you.
Speaker 4: Know, grumblers, try one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh your workouts are hard, though, I'm like, holy fuck.
Speaker 4: They are a lot. I love it.
Speaker 1: I love to feel like I am about my breaking point. That's my favorite thing, Like what else can my body do? I just love to know that I'm capable, honestly, That's why I love working out.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a big thing about you too, is I can kind of like I definitely got the vibes that you came from an athletic background, because don't you think there's kind of like, you know a difference in the fitness world is like really training for that you know, aesthetics to look a certain way, doing like the entrend you know, fitness fitness regime compared to when someone like loves to move their body, and like you very much remind me of like you know, Natasha on YouTube, Like you can tell she just loves movement, she loves like, you know, the athletic side, which yeah, I can see absolutely.
Speaker 1: I just I swear ever since I was a child, I've just run around like a crazy person always, and I finally found somewhere where I can actually focus that energy. And it's just through movie my body and having some type of like routine or just trying something new. So it's cool that I get to share that and document it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it, And so tell us because you just seem like you have all the energy all the time. You're so motivated, you're so pumped up. Do you ever have like off days or days like you're I'm not.
Speaker 4: Really feeling it absolutely literally all the time.
Speaker 1: And I think that comes with just having so much on my plate in terms of a lot of things are writing on my shoulders, whether that is like school and being able to finish. I owe it to myself to, you know, finish school. I can't tell you how many times I've been like, all right, I'm dropping out. I'm done with this, I'm over it, just because it's so much to handle, and you know, your priorities are elsewhere where you're actually passionate, but motivation's not there. It's absolutely discipline and actually knowing that when you come out of a workout or do something for yourself at least like if it's a self care day or anything like that, you're going to feel better and you're gonna feel like a reward rather than you know, sulking and being in that upset mindset. I feel like you have to like know how to dig yourself out of it, because I can't tell you how many days I've sat and I've just been like, yeah, I'm just gonna sleep the day away, which I still do sometimes because I just literally can't handle it. And that's like a good form of self care for me to be able to like rejuvenate my body. But oh absolutely, I don't feel motivated all the time at all. And I think that having a community of people that kind of look to you for some type of like reassurance and motivation your themselves, it kind of allows you to build that up for yourself too, if that makes sense. Yeah, sure, it's like you just go off of each other.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, you feed off that one hundred percent. And so tell us about like if you aren't feeling motivated, like.
Speaker 3: What what will you do? What will you tell yourself?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What's the pet talk? Give it to us.
Speaker 1: So I am a quote girl. I have tattoos of quotes everywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My favorite is like my trademark that I somehow came up with on my stories about day is still a luxury. It's just it resonates so well and it's so true. I don't know how it came out of my mouth, but I believe it every single day, literally have it on my body. And once you realize, I don't know, depends what you've been through, I suppose once you realize that every single day, depending on what your mood is, it doesn't really matter regardless, you have been blessed with another day, and even if it's not the best day, you are still able to, you know, wake up tomorrow and do more things for yourself or try again or better yourself in different ways.
Speaker 4: That as well as if you're going through hell, keep going.
Speaker 1: That's something that resonates with me because my mom, she's been sick a lot of my life, so she has a lot of little like different diseases, ailments, just things like that that she just keeps going. And I'm like, Okay, if my mom can do this, I can make it. I can make it through another day. It'll be all right. But yeah, I think that having those motivational like quotes as reminders or just little things that make you think and reevaluate your day help you to kind of get through it a little bit better. But you know, self care too. I literally took a bath today because I was like, I would love a bath.
Speaker 2: Hey, brons, Yeah, no, I love that. And I'm also such a quote queen, Like, I know it's very you know, it's very Oh, of course she's using a.
Speaker 3: Quote to motivate her.
Speaker 2: But I was like, no, that she actually works, Like, I absolutely love that.
Speaker 3: So it's a bad day is still a luxury.
Speaker 1: Yes, And you don't have to be luxurious with material things. If you realize, like you have a twenty four hours that somebody else possibly doesn't have, you really put things into perspective a lot more and I think you appreciate every single moment a little bit more as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's the big thing.
Speaker 2: Like what I see there is like a huge mindset on perspective and gratitude and when you can kind of get back to that and realize, like, you know, the little things don't matter that are in how fucking epic that I do get to do a workout and you know, I even have this opportunity. I even have a gym to go to, you know, to move my body and staff Like getting back to that, it's almost like you want to slap yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're like, why would you do this? Bitch? Like what the hell? No, Mari, why bit? But it really be like that sometimes.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, like thankfully, like we do have a mindset where it's like all right, let's snap out of it, let's get go, And there's other people like that are writing on us that we carry throughout the day, and we have to be able to like step into our character for them, even though sometimes we don't feel at ourselves with It's like sometimes if you do it, you believe it.
Speaker 4: You know, like this is unlike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's just like you know, the whole quote of whether you believe you can do it or not.
Speaker 4: You're right, yeah, yes, how true it is. It's almost rude. It's almost as effectful.
Speaker 3: And I'm about it. I almost like need you on FaceTime.
Speaker 2: So like anytime I'm like having this little wingy moment, I can just like have you there, and then you'll just say that.
Speaker 4: To me literally look at you. You know what I'm gonna say, yeah, and I'll be like, yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm being a wingy bitch.
Speaker 1: No. I love that perspective though as well, like yeah, it's like you can do this, you can do this. Don't let you know, negative thoughts or those intrusive thoughts get to you because you've come so far. Look at this, with every single obstacle that you've had in your life that you were like I can't make it through this. Okay, Well it's tomorrow and you've done it, So I mean, like, what's next? You have another hurdle that come over, get it down?
Speaker 2: And what I always say, like, imagine a life where you had no hurdles, nothing bad happened, everything was easy. You would never learn any life lessons. You would never you know, get to that next step and feel accomplished. Like if you think about it, life is literally just like learning shit lessons. And you mean the bad days you need those emotions to realize the good days, to you know, feel those things.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, it's like you can't make it through life without any struggles because you wouldn't have learned anything and it would have all been.
Speaker 4: It would have been too easy. If only life was easy, you know. Yeah, excuse me, so easy to move.
Speaker 2: Libby's dog wants to come online with us Bronx.
Speaker 4: If he there's no Bronx, you know, here's something else.
Speaker 3: Well, I love that little pep talk. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Let's like, let's switch gears and let's chat about social media. So I honestly can't even remember how I came across here. Maybe it was like it was definitely before gym shark, So I don't know. I've just like i've just come across to your page and loved the workouts of everything was happening. And I remember following you when you were like twenty thousand, like.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my comeback has been very recent. I will say like I definitely was sitting stagnant at some numbers for a long time.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I get like three hundred K.
Speaker 4: I don't know how to deal with that. I literally don't know. I don't know what's going.
Speaker 3: I knew you're a big deal.
Speaker 1: And that's the crazy thing, because it's like, you know, when you see numbers, you're like, oh, you must be famous in your town.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Literally, my neighbors don't know who I am. There's maybe like one or two girls at the gym that are like, are you Libby? And I'm like yeah, and it's like oh hi.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like when people like do people just come up to you all the time. I'm like, no, no one knows who the fuck I exactly.
Speaker 4: I'm a piece of shit. Like they literally walk past me. I'm the person that they run into with the grocery car. I swear.
Speaker 1: I'm like, don't worry about me. My toes are fine, It's okay.
Speaker 3: I'm just a doormat. It's fine.
Speaker 2: No, so yeah, you've had to come up like things have happened. And don't get don't get me wrong, Like it's huge. I enjoy your content so much. You bring so much to the table, and you're one of those people I'm a big person of I will constantly go through my feed and mute people, unfollow people, and you know, continuously make sure that what I'm consuming is feeding me and fueling me in a really positive way. And you've made all the cuts. Oh so you two says thank goodness.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, I'm sorry to do the same thing though, I'm like, are you feeding my mental are you helping me grow? Like? Am I learning anything from you? If not, I'm so sorry. It's nothing personal, but like that's not necessarily on my feed. What do I need to consume this for?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Not interested?
Speaker 2: And also I find that if I have like too much going on, like I even like just having a small kind of group that I'm you know, feeling off and looking at so it doesn't feel almost too flinting. But yeah, so you know you've definitely you bring it to the table, which is huge. So firstly, your big congratulations because that's all your girlfriend tell us about, you know, your relationship with social media. Like you said, this wasn't something you know you planned or thought was a thing. But now you're here, you're doing it, You're creating content. Ow, what's your feelings about it?
Speaker 4: I love social media.
Speaker 1: And when I tell you, Georgie, when I tell you that I've literally watched you since I was a child, I'm not joking. So do you remember when Instagram came out? It was like twenty twelve. You know what tumblr girls were? Yeah, it's helpless girl.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was a tumbler girl. I had an.
Speaker 1: Instagram and I was thirteen, thirteen years old in middle school, about to be in high school.
Speaker 4: So I'm like very aware of social media.
Speaker 1: And what's crazy is like I was doing sponsored posts before they were sponsored posts, before it was hashtag gifted.
Speaker 4: Like I was.
Speaker 1: Literally just receiving like little diy hairbows from these all businesses at thirteen years old. So it's crazy because I feel like I grew up with social media in such a huge way. But eventually I did this iPhone case collection okay on YouTube, my first ever YouTube video.
Speaker 4: It was for an iPhone four.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I had all these squishy, crazy cases that were sent to me, and I put that a video on YouTube and I swear I had the bullies in middle school and they were just making fun of me, and I was like, oh, I can't take it anymore. So basically, they started playing that video in middle school, which I feel like happens to a lot of people.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They played it on the projector so I literally like wept. I was like, I can't do this anymore, Like this isn't for me. So at thirteen, I deleted my account. I had like fifty thousand followers then, how crazy, Like that's how I know, Like, ah, it must be my personality. It just might be me as a person that people flocked to, which is really nice and reassuring.
Speaker 4: But at that time, I was like I can't handle it, can't do it.
Speaker 1: So basically I remade an Instagram A couple of years later and went through a breakup. My ex knew my passwords to everything, and this was when I had like an okay following where I had carryover from my thirteen year old self. I had like three thousand followers that just like followed me for like lifestyle and stuff. Right when I entered college. So I was a freshman. My ex I broke up with him, and he had my passwords and he went through and deleted all of my Instagram because he knew how much it meant to me, like how much I loved social media and Instagram. And when I tell you, my heart was just ripped out of my body. I was like literally crushed. Nothing hurt me more in the world than that. So my first Instagram picture, if you scroll down and look at it now, it's me my freshman year of high school, I mean in college, and I was like, you lose, and it was like a selfie okay, and then the next one.
Speaker 4: Was I win, Georgie. I cannot make this shit up.
Speaker 3: This is I know you're like, I didn't.
Speaker 4: Ask that question.
Speaker 3: I know, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: So basically I was like, I'm not bitch, okay, and I didn't even know it yet, but I was like, I'm not letting you get to me, stupid hater. So then as time went on, I literally like went through college, met my boyfriend, and then that's when the little random workouts started. But I feel like I've just really grown up with social media and OG's will know it too. But it's just crazy because I just feel like social media has a huge place in my heart.
Speaker 4: I used to watch YouTube forever ago.
Speaker 1: I've just been around it so much, and it's just really cool to kind of come to a place where I consumed so much content and I was so invested in other people and now other people are like.
Speaker 4: Libby, what's up?
Speaker 1: What are you eating? Like what are you doing today? What's your workout? And it's crazy that it's come full circle that way. But I'm so thankful that all that stuff had happened that I deleted my first little Instagram everything, because it put me where I'm at now and I've learned so much and i feel like I've just like accumulated so much knowledge and experience from it.
Speaker 4: Although I'm like still young.
Speaker 1: It's I'm glad that it's been slow growth though, because it has cool as it is to blow up overnight for people. I've been doing this for like almost five years, just on the account that I have now, and it's so cool to hit little milestones to be able to reflect and not everything happened too quick where I won't forget special things. It's been a gradual growth, and I'm just very, very thankful for it because if you told me where I would be six months ago, wouldn't have believed you. I would have literally laughed in your face. It's crazy, It's just crazy. I'm just so thankful for social media and as crazy as it seems, and how weird influencers. My dog is I snoring as weird as influencers seem. My dog is literally an influencer. He has an Instagram. It's just like, I can't be anything but grateful for where it's taken me.
Speaker 4: You know, it just you can look at it in.
Speaker 1: A shallow perspective, but if you actually do a deep dive and think about, oh my gosh, like this has really changed my life and made me a better person, opened me up to new experiences and new people, why not be thankful?
Speaker 4: You know, I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been It's so it's so true. Like you said, like, you know, the slow growth and being so thankful Instagram growing with you, and I feel like you're definitely, you know, a quote unquote influencer who is so authentic.
Speaker 3: You bring so much to the table. You're such a positive.
Speaker 2: Influence and it's like we need more of that. So yeah, I yeah, I think I think that's so important.
Speaker 1: I think, And yeah, I think part of it is also as much as we hear the term influencer, that's cool and whatnot. I can influence you to pi a pair of Jim Shark, that's so cool. I love that for me, But I want to be more than Jim Shark, and I want to be myself and I don't want these other things to be my identity.
Speaker 4: I'd rather have impact rather than influence.
Speaker 1: So I hopefully, hopefully I impact people in a positive way, not just influence them to you know, spin their coins or like X, Y and Z. But I hope that I do make a positive difference in people's lives and urge them to be confident in themselves and unapologetically themselves and authentic as well.
Speaker 2: But yeah, oh absolutely, And I think you definitely hit the nail on the head there because there's almost like this new era of influencers that are coming through that it is impact over influence, and people like you know, consumers and I hate calling them you know, followers, but it's like they want to see the real shit that yeah, they be to have a look at your sponsored posts and whatnot. But unless you are giving value like uh, you know, and adding to their lives, people are smart. They're not gonna, you know, stand for it. And I, I don't know about you, Libby, but I kind of went through a new if you, if you truly are an OG, you would know this. But I went through a bit of a transformation where at the start I was a super surface level influencer like I used to post, you know, bikini pick my Instagram really kind of blew up at the start with a before and after photo.
Speaker 4: It was there.
Speaker 2: It's very kind of like surface of all fitness. And then I kind of remember this pivotal moment where I kind of saw what was happening in the industry and I was like, I don't want to be that person, and I know there's so much more that I can bring to the table. I almost felt like not enough, Like who am I to speak about you know, female empowerment and you know, all these different issues. So but then I remember there was kind of this Pervottle moment where I was like, no, I want to be known more. But then you know, just looking a certain way or yeah, like that sort of side, and I really kind of brought this other aspect and it was kind of bringing the whole georgy to the table. Do you have a similar sort of thing or have you always been the Holy be?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I would love to say that I've had a similar thing, but like it's really take me as I am, relieve me, Like, bye, Yeah, I have always been off the walls, like energetic, one hundred percent myself. I say things how it is, and I need to like sometimes stop myself and check myself because I don't need to hurt people's feelings. Sometimes I'm just brutally honest and I state my opinion and it's not a well liked opinion, you know. But I feel like I have always been one hundred percent myself and I've had a lot of people turn heads about that, and I've had a lot of people judge me for it. But it's like that's the biggest thing I feel like with my platform is because I am so unapologetically myself and so confident in who I am, there are always people my audience that follows me.
Speaker 4: They flock to me.
Speaker 1: I'm convinced because you know, you see people and you're like Oh.
Speaker 4: My gosh, she's so quirky and weird.
Speaker 1: But deep down that person has that little part of them that they're like, I just wish I could express it the way that somebody else does. And they flock to what they relate to. And that's how I know I have an audience that I do, because they're freaking hilarious.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: They send me the funniest dms and they have the exact same humor as me, And I'm like, you guys, my people. And that's what's crazy, is like, if you're not my people, there's a reason you haven't found my page. And what's meant to be yes, Like what's meant for you will not pass you by? Okay, yes, So it's like everything happens for a reason type thing, you know, yeah, double quote. But it's like I feel like I wouldn't have the audience that I do if it wasn't meant for me, and I wouldn't be where I am now if it wasn't meant for me, And these people probably wouldn't come across my story or my page or find me somehow if they weren't meant to, Like they probably needed it at some point in their life, whether it's me show you my dog running in the backyard. There's a girl that's like on to me because she thinks I don't water my grass, but it's literally winter here, so the grass is dead. And I'm like, okay, so I don't know how you found me and this was your first DM was telling me to water my grass, but like, do you want me to go like lay a pipeline outside and put a sprinkler system in and the dead of winter. I'm sorry I hasn't covered yet. I don't know, but like my audience lasted that as stuff because they have the same humor and it's just like, I feel like I found my people. I can't wait to do a meetup. Oh my gosh, it'll be so fun.
Speaker 2: But this is so this is a huge thing that be because I feel the exact same way of when you do show up authentically. When you are you know, you're quirky, and everyone's quirky, everyone's weird if you truly express yourself. But when you are that person, you attract the exact yes people, and anyone who you know says otherwise or talk shit, you're like, well, thank god, because they're not my people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're not spearing. You must have sometimes too far. I'm sorry. I don't know how I got recommended to you said yeah bye. But that's what's.
Speaker 1: True, is people flock to what they relate to, whether that's fitness or if it's me being mixed race, me being adopted, me having a twin sister. Like there's so many facets of me I feel like that people do relate to, and it's like, oh my gosh, it comes with so much else, Like there's so many more things to learn about me as a person that I can share based on my own experiences and just myself that you might fall into the Libby hole, you know, the little what's Libby about hole and be like, okay, well I'm here because she has curly hair. Now I didn't know she had a dog and a boyfriend. But I'm here for it too, you know. It's like, I don't know. I feel like that's what spirals and people turn into it.
Speaker 4: Be like, oh my gosh, you're my best friend. Nor'm like, hey, besties, what's up.
Speaker 3: We love being in the Libby hole.
Speaker 4: We love it.
Speaker 2: We love being in that Libby hole. All right, Libby, Well, let's buddy swap. Oh wait before we swap gears, Sorry, before we change topics. Do you just want to give some advice for someone who maybe does want to start social media or you know, something on the side and they are not feeling confident enough to express themselves. What would you say to that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like there's always this hesitation when you're pursuing something that you aren't sure of what the outcome might be. And I think it's important to kind of allow yourself to try new things, whether that is getting into social media, or posting your workouts or even filming yourself in the gym for the first time. The more you do something, the more comfortable you get with it. And it kind of goes hand in hand with what we just talked about. If you're wanting an audience, you can't play into the numbers. Just know that the people that relate to you will flock to you, and whatever is meant for you is going to come, whether that is a small audience, whether that's finding a new hobby or a new passion and completely like sharing that on a different platform. I think that with it being twenty twenty and twenty twenty one, we connect so much with other people based on their experiences, and I think it's really important to show and share your authentic self, share your journey, and honestly be yourself. Everybody wants somebody that they can relate to, and it's so important to not sugarcoat stuff because because somebody would like to hear their exact same story or a piece of that in someone else, because they won't feel so alone, whether that is in weight gain, weight loss, your fitness journey, being a college student, living on your own for the first time. There's so many different things that somebody just wants someone else to relate to. And I think that being able to share yourself and just kind of taking that leap of faith and not knowing what might happen.
Speaker 4: You never know. You could be like me and be like, Okay, I was not expecting any of this, but you'll be grateful that you did it at first.
Speaker 2: Oh, we love a motivational talk by you would be.
Speaker 1: I guess it.
Speaker 2: No, I couldn't agree more and yeah, no, we love that. And I think it's also super special what you said about, you know, not being too worried, because if you're feeling a certain way, like there are other people feeling a certain way.
Speaker 3: There are other people were interested. You just need to find your people.
Speaker 4: Absolutely yes.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Naked Harvest Supplements, the natural supplement company I co founded with my brother. This company was really brought to life because I have been using supplements for such a long time since the start of my fitness journey. But what I really struggled to find was all natural supplements without the crap, that were tailored to women's health and that actually tasted good. And that's how Naked Harvest Supplements was born. Our hero products are a natural pre workout and our.
Speaker 3: Vegan Thrive Protein.
Speaker 2: Our natural pre workout is vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and is a natural energy boost without the crash. This is your go to to enhance your workout and to get you in the mood to conquer your day. My favorite flavor is sweet Strawberry, which literally tastes like strawberry clouds, Oh my god. And tropical iced tea, which tastes like that lipped and iced tea drink.
Speaker 3: It is so refreshing.
Speaker 2: Our Thrive Plant protein is also vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free and it is so smooth for a vegan protein. I know our nhgang loves cooking with it or using it in that post workout smoothie, and so do I. My favorite flavor for the Thrive is definitely our newest pancake batter flavor. It is the real deal and tastes exactly like the name. If you want to enhance your performance and optimize your day, try Naked Harvest now. I've also got a special code for my Rise and Conker podcast listeners. Just type in Rise and Conquer Podcasts out checkout to receive a sneaky discount that is Rise and Conquer Podcasts and the end is spelt out. It is not the simple. I'll also pop the links in the show notes if you want to check that out. But let's get back into the episode. Well, let's change gears, let's swap topics. And I really wanted to chat to about the Black Lives Matter movement because you were a huge account that I went to during this time and it was like, I'm from Australia obviously, so things were a little bit different here, but it was.
Speaker 3: Also it was global.
Speaker 2: It was clearly a global issue, and yeah, you were definitely an account that I loved watching. I loved, you know, getting a lot of information for you. You were sharing a lot of information, And I really wanted to bring it up today because I think sometimes, you know, these movements can happen and people get involved and people are posting, you know, the Black Square and doing these certain things, and then it's all of a sudden not trendy, and we're not you know, thinking about it or talking about it, whereas I know you're still talking about it. You're still so informative in this area. So I wanted to bring it up today. Can you firstly tell us why it was really important to you to be really involved in the Black Lives Matter movement?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I feel like I have never been so passionate or heavily involved in anything in terms of social media until the Black Lives Matter movement came up. And it's always been a movement. It just hit social media and exploded as it should have. It got the recognition that it needed, and it brought a lot of change and understanding and education to a lot of people, especially during COVID when all of this had just hit, because I mean, we weren't going outside there wasn't anything to do, and I mean, unfortunately the timelines did line up with different tragedies that happened, but it gave people a place to learn and educate themselves and to drop their ego and to stop acting like they knew everything, because even I don't know everything. But I just felt that it was so important to at least talk about something that I've experienced, that people that I love have experienced.
Speaker 4: Because you don't know something as much as you know it unless you've lived it.
Speaker 1: You know, you can do as much research as you want, but a lived experience is I think a little bit more valuable than just learning from reading a textbook, because as we know, textbooks have been altered and whatnot, and history is just a mess. But when you're living in a moment, that is so important. I think that being outspoken about it and sharing your own experiences, sharing resources is really something that brings people together and allows them to connect on a deeper basis rather than just like, hey, this is what I ate today. No, let me tell you about these lives that were lost due to racism, due to white supremacy, due to X, Y and Z. This is something that affects me and if you support me, I would really appreciate. I would really love if you took part in this and shared your support, because I mean, there's not going to be changed once we all kind of come together to you know, move forward for it.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, one hundred percent. And I think also what you said about you know, there is so much information and there's articles and those books and there's textbooks, but going to someone and listening to their real life experience and even just the huge thing that I saw in the movement was just people.
Speaker 3: Being more aware of.
Speaker 2: Oh, on their Instagram feed, they do just follow you know, white blonde people who look like that.
Speaker 3: And because I think.
Speaker 2: Almost a lot of it, Like I remember kind of having a discussion with my friends who kind of explained that whether like I think, for me, the biggest thing was awareness because before it's like it wasn't evin and a thought, but for the first time, it was thought provoking and it was out putting that awareness in which is huge. But also why I did love going to your account too, was you know, from listening to someone who does have that personal experience too, which I think is so important.
Speaker 1: And I absolutely have completely different experiences from other people, and I talked about this a lot, is that I am biracial, I'm light skinned, and oftentimes people of darker complexion are quote targeted for absolutely no reason at all other than racism. And I, even as a young mixed female, experience racism differently than my boyfriend, who is six ' three. He was a lineman in college football, but he's a black man in America, and he experiences, you know, life so much different than I do. And I think that it was also important for me to try to bring his experience to the table because we hear so much about black men and how they are profiled and targeted in all of these different ways. And I don't know if people really think about the aftershock that that brings to the people that surround those men, or what the repercussions might be, or what the mental capacity or stability might be for somebody that is around somebody who's heavily affected by racism in that way. But I think that bringing it up and actually sharing those topics and experiences brings a lot more value to you on your individual platform and to an entire platform as a whole, because it's like everybody's learning and I like I said, I have a different experience than somebody else, but I can still live my truth and share my own truth as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so important. And I did love that too that you brought your boyfriend's experience into that as well. I wanted to know from your perspective. And please, don't get me wrong, I know you know we need to be taking these steps ourselves and being more aware and taking you know, our own action to find this out. But what would your kind of recommendations be for people who maybe they have fear and I to be completely transparent, have kind of felt this with saying the wrong thing, you know, sharing wrong information. What would your advice be for those people in regards to educating themselves first and then how to show up in a way where they can feel like, you know, they can have a conversation about racism and these salts issues.
Speaker 1: I feel like no matter where you're at, there are always going to be those people that will say you're not doing enough, or you're doing too much, or this is performative. But if you actually care to learn, I think that educating yourself by learning about other people's experiences. Oh my gosh, there's so many different people that you can follow or scroll back on their page or look at their highlights to see what they were talking about at that time specifically. But there's also other resources that talk about history in America or the reason that people wear box braids, like I've done a whole video on that, just a little snippet, But I think that expanding your reach or broadening your own horizons is really important. And I think that also talking with people or kind of looking into other people who have experienced life differently than you is valuable because if you're empathetic at all, you probably will feel those same feelings, although you won't experience it the same way. You can still resonate and try to understand what it might be like to live like them. But when it comes to actually sharing your allyship, I think that you have to be honest with yourself and acknowledge the fact that, hey, I am not a black person in America, but I would love to learn about it, and I would love to share my support, and I would love to educate myself and others on this topic because it is necessary for change to happen. And I do have a part, especially with a platform, to kind of voice this and to give those who do not have a voice, give them a voice and give them a platform. And I think that part of that was sharing black creators, which was great. And I think that now I've seen a lot of people sharing about the Asian community because the Asian community has also experienced an insane amount of racism, which is so okay. But I think as these things come up, it's important to be in the know and be part of it, rather than sitting on the sidelines and just hoping that it blows over. As uncomfortable as it might be, it's so necessary to do your part and to be able to acknowledge what's going on because you never know, like your child might experience this and you want to know how to talk to them about it, or how to teach them how to talk to a friend or learn about it. But I think that being open to the conversation is the most important thing, and also just trying because nobody's going to get it right the first time. I feel like I've said things incorrectly, even on my own platform, and I'm a black woman in America. But all I can do is be truthful, and I can right my wrongs and acknowledge the education that I do have and hope for, you know, hope to learn more in the future. And I think that everybody can do that, regardless of who you are, if you want to be part of the conversation.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that you touched on we're not always going to get it right the first time, and as long as you can acknowledge that and keep moving forward and keep learning and keep being open minded.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that's huge.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think that's the most important part. Sorry, I'm moving things, but I do think that's the most important part, is actually knowing and coming to terms with the fact that you're not going to know it all.
Speaker 4: You might not ever live.
Speaker 1: The same experience as someone else, but that does not disqualify you from being an ally or being an advocate for someone.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. Oh I love that.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for chatting to us about that and everyone I Libby, do you still have all your highlights from Black Lives Matter?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: I do. They are a little bit back, but I mean they're there, and I mean I literally looked at those the other day because I have not visited them since I posted them, honestly, and it's just wild because I think I reference for people to go check it out, and I had replies to my highlights, so I was like, what are people replying to I went back and looked at it, and I was like, Oh my gosh, I'm I'm so proud of myself because I feel like for so long I've just been the type of person I kind of just like, yeah, I'm going to put my input in here. But I can just see how passionate I was, and I still have the same passion to share so much with people. And it's crazy because those highlights and those stories were literally in the moment of so much happening, from a mott arbery being shot by white supremacists up until me going to a Black Lives Matter protest being tear gased three times, like you see so much, and it's just me being candid and sharing my own experience and then trying to educate people and sharing resources.
Speaker 4: And I think that that.
Speaker 1: Was a really pivotal moment for me, at least in my own life too as well as social media, because I really found myself not only like in the in the world of fitness, but this is another part of me, and I think that opened up a lot of the conversation. For a lot of black creators or people of color that are creators online, they were able to share their own experiences and be raw and real and candid, and I think that's also what opened up the conversation for people that do follow them or for other content creators that they just saw how real it was, and I think that they empathized a lot, and they realized that they had to do something as well, because they don't want their friends to feel like that online. So I think that urged people to do their part and to really want to be part of the conversation.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. And those highlights, they are They're unbelievable. I remember obviously watching them in real time, but I did see that you had saved them. So guys, please go back to all the way back to Libby's highlights, because they are really good and really informative, and you can, you know, you can see how much you showed up and you were, like, you know, so there in the moment doing the thing, which is amazing to see.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's like four of them right now, but I just remember how exhausting it was. Georgie.
Speaker 1: I literally don't think I've ever been so mentally fatigued in my entire life, but it was obviously it was so worth it. But I remember talking to my friend a Jazzi, and we were both like hitting it on Instagram. We had hundreds of stories every single day of resources and then talking about what's going on in our own experiences, and it.
Speaker 4: Was like a mod arvory that was a whole thing.
Speaker 1: And I remember going on the run on his birthday and I was like, okay, like I feel like I've done my part, but I want to do more. And then a couple of days later, we have George Floyd and I'm like, Okay, mentally, I can't handle this. And I felt like I was so engulfed in social media and I felt like it was my job to educate people, which obviously it's not, but it felt like I want to share this and I want to put as much information out there as I can.
Speaker 4: But I cannot even.
Speaker 1: Tell you how tired I was. Like mentally, I was like, what else am I supposed to do? I feel like I'm doing everything I can. And that's the thing is like you feel like you're doing so so much, but racism still exists. And there has to be fights that are fought and you have to be part of it.
Speaker 4: And that's kind of the thing. I feel like I kind of compromise. I did.
Speaker 1: I compromise my own mental health, but I felt like it came at a greater cost and I felt like it was worth it. But now when these things happen and when there is a large conversation, I feel like I can take a step back, take a breath, analyze what's going on instead of just you know, it's like when somebody comes out with an apology video, they're like, oh my gosh, I have to hop in here at the moment and I have to correct my wrongs or whatever.
Speaker 4: No, I've learned now.
Speaker 1: That I don't have to throw my entire body and everything into something. I can take a step back because I know that a lot of the work or some of the work has been done, but I don't have to do it all myself, and I won't be the person that doesn't all myself.
Speaker 4: I can only do my part, and it's important not to fatigue myself with trying to do that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, one hundred percent. And like I actually remember thinking that during the time, like you could just see how on you are, how on you were.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like how much heart was involved in everything you did. So I could imagine you feeling so fatigued and so drained. But it's just, yeah, so amazing to see. And like I said, guys, those highlights of there, make sure you check them out. It was it was honestly so pivotal and it was just even your content for me was such a pivotal moment in my awareness and my understanding, and so yeah, I couldn't imagine everyone else to Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: I'm happy that it somehow made an impact on you.
Speaker 2: No huge part, honestly, and that's why I really wanted to chat about it today.
Speaker 3: But Libby, thank you so much. You are literally such a legend.
Speaker 2: That was a very ausy slang word to say, but mate, you're a legend.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: As So this season of the Rising Concord podcast we are chatting bold moves and bold action, and I wanted to ask you what's next for you and how will you be taking bold action in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, bold moves and bold action. Well, first of all, we're getting this degree literally next week, Like I need.
Speaker 4: In the mail right now. Old, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I'm just really proud of myself because I mean, I'm sure you can relate when you're in school, You're like, oh, I could just give up. I could just be done with it all and move forwardit. I'm just really proud of myself for sticking it out. Because I was supposed to graduate in twenty twenty in May, and then I was supposed to graduate in December of twenty twenty. That didn't happen. Things got pushed, and here we are now March. What a random time, but March of twenty twenty one, I will be a graduate. That's definitely like my biggest, most near move I suppose. Other than that, I really just want to expand myself and I really want to build a business for myself. I have a couple of things that i'm working on the I'm super excited about. Like, I don't know, I don't know how this works. Like I'm new to this game, Georgia, you've been in it. I'm like, I need coach, please, But I'm excited for what potentially might come. I'm just really thankful, honestly thankful that I've been able to come this far, I've had so much stacked up against me, and I'm like, oh my.
Speaker 4: Gosh, statistics mean nothing.
Speaker 1: But I can't wait to build myself up, grow a little bit more, learn about myself. Hopefully I get to meet some people, and you know, hopefully twenty twenty one provides what we want. But other than that, I mean, I don't know. I just want to live life for a little bit, make some bold moves randomly. I'm sure, I don't know. You know how these opportunities come up.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you got to have sactly No, Liby, you are honestly such an inspiration. We bloody love you, and I like, I'm just telling you right now, like you don't like. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm sorry. Happy to have some coach and calls anytime you want. But anything you do, I know it's going to be so epic because you put your heart into everything and like you said, you show up so authentically you and it's going to make sense and it's going to be, you know, on purpose, on point. So I have no doubts that twenty twenty one few is going to be epic and I just can't wait to see it.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, and Libby, can you let everyone know where they can find you, where they can join the Libby Hole.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course, you guys can find me on Instagram. I'm at Libby Christiansen. Also on YouTube Libby Christensen, and I think that's it. I guess I have a TikTok as well. I'm not a huge TikToker. I'm no Charlie Demilio.
Speaker 4: I'm really just me, but I believe it's literally the same username. Thank goodness. But yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it all three and I'll put that in the show notes. Guys. Ah, thank you so much. Libby, Yes, of course, thank you. Thank you for.
Speaker 2: Listening for another rn C episode. I really appreciate taking the time to be here with me, and also for taking the time for yourself. If you found this episode helpful, it would be so amazing if you shared it on your stories and tagged us, or simply just send it on to a girlfriend or family member who would benefit from listening. We are an independent podcast run by me and my amazing podcast manager, so it would mean the world to us if you left a review on the Apple podcast app. Also, if you're vibing this podcast and the concepts we're chatting about, and your craving community. Please come and join us over at the rn.
Speaker 3: C podcast community Facebook group.
Speaker 2: Just search Rise and Conquer Podcast Community on Facebook and I will be in there to chat to you until next time.