Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast. It's Flex and Firms and FLEXI. Have you ever uploaded a video or a photo of yourself crying to the Internet?
Speaker 2: Nah?
Speaker 1: Have you ever been tempted? No?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I feel like no. I just don't think the internet's a safe space. I don't know what they tried to tell you, but I just feel like the internet wants three things entertainment, education, or somewhere in the middle like but and crying is usually entertainment. And so if you cry, just know you've been circulated in plenty of group chats and you've been responsible or instrumental in someone's laugh that day.
Speaker 1: Kind of great for the clowns out intown. This headline from a few weeks ago piqued my interest. It came from Tamman Cursock, who used to be on Home and Away. She did a podcast with Luke Cook, who is an Australian comedian living in America. I actually meant to be on this podcast hasn't happened yet, but he's a funny, funny guy. And she was saying how influencers who film themselves crying on social media. She reckons it's bullshit because if that's the first thing they think of doing when they're upset, to take the camera out, she reckons, it's a lot.
Speaker 2: It's not the first thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, they put it on makeup first, right, that's the first thing. She was saying this because the only time she's posted a vulnerable video of herself crying online was when she had a miscarriage, and she said she posted it because it was her husband taking the video and it was a bit of an awareness piece. But she seems to think an awareness piece, what the way you phrase it, it's a I don't know how asked to say that. However, she thinks that sharing hard moments online is important. But yeah, posting a video at the exact moment that something is raw is very performative. And to which I say, I think that it's a generational thing. We've seen all the belhadide crying videos. I think like for the generation gen Z, for example, they've always had camera phones. It's like very and group chats where sharing your face is a normal thing, like be real, Like I remember when I started in your group chat. When you're really young, you do share photos of yourself constantly. It's just kind of like a normal thing. So therefore, I think, like putting it on the internet, it's.
Speaker 2: Not that far of a stretch for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: No, Whereas I think, like, if you think about it in terms of a social what's it called, like social etiquette, it does feel weird from like an oldie weldy perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it's I would go back to the first point in that posting yourself crying is performative. The act of engaging with social media is performative. Everything you do is contrived, everything you do is curated. Not one thing you do on there is genuine. Because there's nothing genuine about having an experience and then jumping onto an app to share it with strangers for free. It doesn't make any sense. So I think the argument that it's performative and therefore it can't be trusted with an Now we have to start looking at everything with that length and saying, okay, is it less performative to have a cry wipe my and then go like, hey, guys, let's be grateful for each other today. I would argue they're living in the same boat in terms of just level of performativity, right, performance, level of performance. I think it's it's tricky because like, I don't I wouldn't do it right. I wouldn't cry and then take a photo and put it on the internet. But I also think that a lot of people have a fundamental misunderstanding of what social media is used for. It feels weird because social media is turned into this circus for strangers, Like I put myself on the Internet for a stranger to consume, that is weird. If you're using social media to connect with your friends and family, it should not be strange for you to emote virtually, for you to share your feelings virtually. And I think it's becoming so matter that people kind of in use the Internet for its original purpose sharing of information. Yeah, the fact that you'd go on and make money or you'd go on and talk about like the fact that it's more normalized to go on the incident to where people existing than just existing yourself on the Internet. It's better and it's both lame.
Speaker 1: Smooth smooth back Hoti singer Let's.
Speaker 2: Don't Sitting back Suzy wrecking Ball vibes.
Speaker 1: I will say finally that like I feel like it's a very ucy like American tiktoks and people taking the piss out of them, like a woman's husband has just started and she's put a video out there. Living in this Dare I say capitalist society, You're smart to capitalize on your pain and your trauma because you will be rewarded, So it makes sense to me. I wouldn't do it, but wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Free You need to get your bag, and that's the distinction we want to make.
Speaker 1: We will do anything for a check. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast. For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.