Speaker 1: Do you know what your iron is?
Speaker 2: Maybe your iron's in the normal range, but perhaps your ferretin is low. On today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we chat all things iron and what you need to do to get on top of your iron levels once and for all.
Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Leanne Wood.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sissy Burrow, and together we bring you The Nutrition Couch, your weekly podcast with everything that you need to know in the world of nutrition.
Speaker 1: As well as all things iron.
Speaker 2: We take a closer look at supermarket hot chocolates, we have a frozen vegetable product to review, and our listener question is all about the online craze at the moment beef liver supplements. But to kick us off today, Zuzie, we are chatting all things iron because admittedly you and I have both had low iron in the past. Our clients regularly have low iron. It's something that busy women really struggle with, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I think one of my most frustrating things with clients is when I'll look at their blood panel and the doctor will have said it's fine, and I'll look and their ferretin is like a eighteen. Now we'll disclose that recently I had a faretin coming tot eighteen. So it is incredibly easy, even if you are a red meat eater, to have low iron stores. And there's a few reasons for this. The first is that often our intake is not where it needs to be. So if you are a meat eater, but you eat red meat once a week, and you are a young woman who exercises a lot, has young kids, you might have been breastfeeding pregnant in the last few years. It won't be enough, and so over time your stores gradually deplete, and even low iron stores, which is your ferretin, can make you feel very, very tired. So I was prompted to get a blood test because I got up one morning and felt very very dizzy, and I thought, oh my god, what is wrong with me? And when I looked my faireshan had been twenty last year and now it's eighteen. I should have done something then, but again, you know, the doctors didn't say to me at the time, would you like to get an infusion, which is ultimately what many women will need to top their stores up, because routinely what I'll hear is clients, and these are even clients who've just had a baby, and they've gone through their pregnancy, the baby's taken all the iron from them. They haven't been eating a huge amount because they're pregnant and not feeling amazing. And then they'll go home with a newborn with low ferretin and the doctor's suggesting that they take a fair grad sea. Now, iron supplements rip through your gut. They are incredibly difficult to get your iron levels up. It's got to do with a lot of factors, including absorption, and so if your stores are low, many people, I believe will need an infusion to bring it up, particularly if they've got high energy demands, they're breastfeeding, things like that. Even myself, I just know that increasing my red meat intakes slightly has not helped me in twelve months, not even a little bit. And I'm not ready for letting it go. And I said to my own clients, do not walk around with low ferretin. It's really like your body is constantly running on empty. It means that your blood is not oxygenated to the extent it should be. Your brain and cognitive function is not going to be as good as it should be. You'll be breathless, you'd be your sleep and still feel fatigued. You know you're starting behind the eight ball. Your immune systems impacted. It's not healthy for any of us to be walking around with low ferretin. So that's the first thing. If you've had to look at your blood tests and overtime your ferresons declining, you know it's worth exploring. And we should also say leand that low ferretin and low iron can also be a sign that you may not be absorbing, you may be losing blood in certain ways. It certainly warrants medical investigation. So when I was at the GP, the first thing they said to me was, had I had a colonoscopy, because they too are thinking if you've got chronic low iron, it can be associated with malabsorption or even bowel cancer and young people, and we're seeing that more and more. So it's really it's not a sign that something's wrong. It's a sign. You need to understand why it could be low. Are you malabsorbing, are you losing blood? Are you exercising a lot and not replacing? And if everything comes back normal, So for example, I've had a colonoscopy as you had in the last two years, no polyps, no sign of anything toward no other signs and symptoms. The rest of my blood's are normal highly likely. Like many of our listeners, I just don't need enough red meat for the amount that I expend. I do exercise a lot. I probably have red meat maybe once a week if I'm lucky. I always prefer fish and chicken over red meat. So that's the first thing. You've got to get your blood tests, have a good look at them, and decide is it worth investing in having an infusion and getting the stores up. And it was interesting this time the end because the doctors actually offered me two infusions, so when I've had one in the past, they gave me the one infusion. It brings your eye up to about one hundred. He said to me. He thinks you should always have both and bring your stores right up rather than just go. And I thought that was quite an interesting thing. I hadn't heard it before either. Then on top of that, that would be if you're someone who doesn't eat a lot of red meat in general and would prefer to take an iron supplement like multi Fi, which is a very good one a few times a week to top your stores up as opposed to eating more meat. Absolutely, go for it. That is, in my experience, the best thing to do. If you border on low iron, it's certainly not the solution. If your stores are in your boots and you're a tired, busy, overwet mum, You've got to get your levels up and then go from there. Or if you prefer no supplements, and some of us don't because they do rip through your gut, I would say you've got to be having small serves of lean red meat three or four times a week, like a lean land Cutlet some lean beef mints and use it. You know, you've been doing that series on your Instagram with all the hot lunches. You know, do a beef mince recipe that you have a couple of times a week when you go for dinner, get a fill at steak and have it over two meals. Have a steak sandwich rather than a chicken burger. You know, you've really got to really focus on it to get your demands in because, yeah, a lot of us just are not getting enough or choosing to eat less red meat or even following a plant based diet. And I argue that for busy women, it's just not fair that we're walking around with low ferritin. That makes you feel like you've been hit by a bus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I certainly have shoggled with low iron in my past. I was bigin for you at a terin for a couple of years in my early twenties, and then in my thirties I had two back to back pregnancies, two back to back breastfeeding lots, and sort of about four years straight I was either pregnant or breastfeeding. And just for some context, women between about twenty to fifteen need about eighteen milligrams of iron a day, and that's primarily due to regular menstruation. Once women get over fifty, it drops from eighteen down to eight milligrams a day, and that's primarily due to, you know, the average age of metopause. Now, pregnant women go from eighteen milligrams a day up to twenty seven milligrams a day. And I always say to my clients, particularly in that third trimester, the baby is just like a gremlin, like it's just taken everything.
Speaker 3: From your particularly the iron.
Speaker 2: So so many women, and then if you've had a really rough berth as well, like you might have lost a bit of extra blood and all that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: You might have had a hemorrhage.
Speaker 2: Like a lot of times they are replacing it, but sometimes they're not, and that's where it can really really you can struggle to get on top of your iron levels, and then if you have another pregnancy, you know, you just struggle to get on top of it if you're not replacing it properly. So it is really important to be aware of your iron levels. If you are someone that's been really low on the past, it might be worth having a check once or twice a year. If you're someone who is busy and who is tired, who you may be in that postpartum period and you haven't had your blood work dead in the last year, I'd highly recommend going and chatting to your doctor about getting your iron levels checked, particularly if you are, as Zusie mentioned, feeling dizzy. You know, you're breathless even just walking, like doing minimal exertion. In terms of exercise, you know, of course you've gotta be restless if you're doing a huge workout, but you're just going for a really easy stroll or just doing day to day activities, you feel quite breathless. You wake up after a really good night's sleep, still exhausted. It's well worth going to get your iron levels tested. And restless legs is another big one. I remember in the third trimester, my iron was obviously very low. I could not keep my legs still at nighttime, like they would shake constantly, and David was like, what is wrong and I was like, I don't know, I just I can't stop moving my legs. And then when I went back to my ob she was like, oh, your iron must be really low. When we check it was and she said that's a big sign. Restless legs is a big sign of low iron. So that's another good one. If you are sitting there and you have very restless legs at night, probably a good good chance to go and get blood tests. True, but key sauces of iron really really important. As Zuzi said, it's the red meat, you know, beef, kangaroo, even chicken and fish have iron not as much as your red meats. And then if you're talking about vegetarian or what we call non hem based iron sauces, your legames and your beans are absolutely the best sauces tofu as well, dark green leafy veggies and really dried apricots are a great combo. You would get clients to have dried apricots and chick beas like groasted chickpas as a really good high iron snack. And then making sure you're really having what we call that iron boost, that vitamin C. So a lot of the iron supplements on the market do have vitamin C included in them, but if they don't, something simple like a squeeze of lemon or orange juice onto your salad or having a bit of capsicum or tomatoes in a meal when you're taking your iron tablet is a really good idea. And making sure you avoid any what we call iron inhibitors, so the tannins and tin coffee can actually hinder the absorption of an iron. So don't sit down to take your iron tablet or capsule and wash that down with a sipper coffee because you're not doing yourself any favors. And then also I'll just quickly make a really quick note because one of my good friends is just starting her baby on solids and she was telling me how well he's doing on all the vegetables, and I just gave a quick reminder because no one really tells you these things that the most important nutrients. One of the most important nutrients for babies starting food is actually iron. It's not vegetables, you know, they don't really get in much iron. After six months of age, mum's breast milk stops sort of producing that iron, and so it's a really, really, really important nutrient. And I said to her, just sucking on a really well cooked lamb chop to get the juice the iron out of it is a great thing for little babies. If you're doing baby led weeding. Obviously, I've got to chew off the lamb. They're just sucking the juice. It's got to be really well cooked and very well trimmed. All black beans, just squash them, and that can be a really great sauce of iron and also fiber because a lot of bubs get quite constipated dropping down the milk as well. So they're my tips in terms of iron. But like you said, my preference is a liquid over a capsule. If you are someone that struggles with you know, constipation and gut issues and iron tablets, try it liquid because that tends to be a little bit better absorbed than an iron capsule.
Speaker 3: Now, she hasn't given us her number. What was your ferresh and leanne in recent weeks?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's always been lower.
Speaker 2: At one point, I think it was about three in the hospital rang me and they're like, come straight in.
Speaker 1: Now, this is years it go.
Speaker 3: Though she has an in vision two. I've told her she's not listening to me. Butanne, you've forgotten my favorite sources of iron in the diet. Well, if anyone grew up in the seventies and eighties, you cannot go past the smoked oyster and a smoke muscle in the tin like they have to be some of the most efficient ways to get four to seven milligrams of well absorbed heam iron. If you like smoked oysters, if you like smoke muscles, I am a big fan. They're not for everybody, that's the button. I do like them. They're going to be a very good source.
Speaker 1: That's a problem. Though not many people like them, myself included, but I.
Speaker 3: Take them and her husband David indulges with me and the smokedoy sterilia and is horrible.
Speaker 1: And me and me are standing on the side pinching our noses.
Speaker 2: Well, moving on from iron to hot chocolate, because as we know, it's cooling down, maybe not so much in Queensland, but definitely down south a little bit more. It's cooling down and it is hot chocolate weather. So of course, like most times in May, a lot of our clients are saying I have.
Speaker 1: This hot chocolate and this one and this one.
Speaker 2: So we thought we'd do a little bit of a supermarket wreki and look at what are the hot chocolates on the markets.
Speaker 3: So I think a lot of our.
Speaker 2: Clients have used the traditional you know, the Milos and the Cadburys, and it's I don't think we have to cover it on the podcast. They're obviously heine sugar. They're more of a treat food. But there are some better ones on the market these days that are a bit lower in sugar or even perhaps provide some functional ingredients. So the one that you and I loved for years and years and years, and what we admittedly tried to replicate from a taste perspective when we built our rest Hot Chocolate and design our dieticians was the Jarrow one. So we still really like that because it is quite low calorie. But the thing is with that, to me, I always get that funny after taste because it does have the artificial sweetness in their nine to five to one, but the ingredients or nutrition information is pretty good, like a stick of that is only around what fifty calories or something and quite low in sugar because it does have the sweetness in there. So the Jarra one's one of the better ones on the market in terms of a lot lower in sugar.
Speaker 1: The other one that.
Speaker 2: I have clients have a lot recently, in particular as a brand called Avalanche. But I do get feedback that although it is quite low in sugar, it doesn't necessarily taste so good. So my clients tell me that this one is quite low in sugar, and I believe it clocks it around that I think.
Speaker 1: I don't have the nutritionals in front of me, but I.
Speaker 2: Think around forty kind of ish calories, so quite low calorie as well, quite low sugar. But again I think they are using a lot of the artificial sweetness, aren't they, And that tends to be sort of the running theme across the supermarkets are either full sugar or they tend to be quite low in sugar, but they are using a lot of those artificial sweetness to obviously reduce it and replicate that sugar content aren't they they are?
Speaker 3: I think the feedback I'm just a look to confirm the sweetener in avalanche and I don't think it's artificial, but I can't actually get the nutritionals, which that's not our fault. If they don't log them, I'll try and go to another site. But my experience with it is it's really watery. So it's actually nutritionally pretty good, but just watery. And I'm like you, I've always loved the jarra and would have one every night, but I was becoming more and more aware of sort of the evidence to avoid a spartame in the diet. And whilst it did have a milk powder base which and it does has some sugar and I think it's got about eight grams of sugar over all the jarra, but it did have a lovely mouthfeel, which is what we replicated with our rest without the artificial sweetener, because there is I think, so the ingredients in the jarwer is milk solids, glucose solids, cocoa at seventeen percent, which is a nice amount, but it does have nine to five one which is a spartame. Because I think part of it is when you have more of a watery one, you don't get that fulfillment, and that's the case with a couple of those tube style ones. There also is some avalanche, a sugar f that might have the type of sweetener on it actually, so that's part of the issue. And then of course if you go to the good Oh, they're using a erythrotol in the avalanche rain, whereas if you go to the cabri, which is delicious, but we want to be because it's based on pure sugar and that's traditionally what hot chocolate would be. And I think actually for anyone listening who isn't a coffee drinker, who will say to me, at this time of year, I had a hot chocolate. Well, hot chocolate at the coffee shop is got twenty to thirty grams of sugar in a small They're incredibly concentrated. So if you are looking for a hot drink in this at this time of year, and you do get it from a cafe occasionally as a bit of a treat, I wouldn't be having one every day. A little trick is to ask for half strength and they'll put half the powder in so you're not getting as much sugar and it would be just as sweet. You know, you'll enjoy it just as much, but you will cut a little bit. But yeah, the cabri one, for example, per serve, it's still only just over one hundred calories, but it's got thirteen point four grams of sugar because the first ingredient is sugar, followed by glucose syrup another form of sugar, milk, solids, vegetable fat, So nutritionally, it's not a great choice. And my understanding is the linked one is also similar because I think the other thing when it comes to hot chocolates is there's a lot of functional hot chocolate. So we'll be very clear. We do have rest our functional hot chocolate, but there are some varieties out there that retail for as much as sixty dollars for a packet of hot chocolate. Now, it would have to have liquid gold in there to warrant that price. There is nothing in a functional hot chocolate that should warrant it being as much as sixty dollars. You're probably lining the pockets of it. Influences to just be mindful, you know, if it's promising the earth, it probably is too good to be true because that kind of amounts. I don't care whether it's a greens powder, a hot chocolate, sixty eighty dollars for a small container, there is no possible way even if it contains collagen. Collagen does add a cost to hot chocolate, but nowhere near those amounts. And often they might have as little as three grams of collagen, which is not a big dose either. If you're paying that much, you'd want at least ten grams of collagen, if not more so. Buyer beware, you know, if it's sounding too good to be true, or for supermodel selling it, it's probably ripping you off a little bit, because at the end of the day, a functional drink is not going to solve the problems of the world, you know, so just be aware. I think our kind of product is about that thirty dollar mark. That's where you're going to be getting the benefits of some functional ingredients, magnesium, some sleep additions, a whole food base as opposed to artificial sweetness, a great mouth feel. But yet you can certainly be ripped off when it comes to some of the ones out there. And I'm just having a look at the limp one right now, leam, this is certainly much more indulgent sugar, cocoa butter, whole milk, powder, cocoa mass. So it's really a good quality one, but again it would want to be. It's over two hundred calories a serve. It's got almost thirteen grams of sugar and twelve grams of fat. So that's a very indulgent type product that might burn off if you're living in the Arctic, but probably not in the Australian winter. So I would stick to a low calorie option that is reasonably priced, and if you can avoid the artificial sweetness or too much sugar, even if you buying hot chocolates away from the home, that would be the goal. And my client's question was does it matter if I occasionally have a Jarrah? And I was like, no, nothing occasionally ever matters. It's more if you rely on it every day, you would want to make sure the nutrition's going in his better quality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: And I will say I have actually had one of those Lint hot chocolates at the Link Cafe and oh my goodness, it was amazing, like incredible, But yeah, definitely not something I'd want to be having every single night, or I don't think if it in my jeans by the end of winter.
Speaker 1: But it's definitely definitely a tree delicious.
Speaker 3: Actually, tell you what my little boy did the other day. He got milk. I actually had some high protein milk in the fridge and he was using it. I do like those high protein, low fat milks that are out. I am using them a bit more. So he put it in the saucepan and then I said to him. He'd shaved down one of his bunnies from East Easter, so he'd got a Cabri bunny and he sliced it all up, so it was a lot of chocolate, like it would have been one hundred and fifty hundred. And I said to him, Harry, you can't make a hot chocolate by melting chocolate into milk. It won't mix. I said, you need to put some of the hot chocolate rest in there. So he got sort of a heaped tablespoon of rest and mixed in it, and then he melted the chocolate through it. Oh my god, it was so delicious. I was like, yeah, that's how you make a real hot chocolate. Like he had it down pat Man, but he's a ten year old boy who doesn't eat a whole lot, so he can get away with it. But I was like, oh my god, this is like liquid gold. So yeah, you can certainly make some indulgent varieties with your leftover Easter chocolate if you're looking for a bit of a special trait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, delicious.
Speaker 2: But I think it really does come down to read the ingredients, read the nutrition label, and be aware what you're having. As Jusie said of it's a one off occasionally it doesn't really matter, but if you are having something regularly, i e. Every night or multiple times a week, you want to make sure that there are some good quality ingredients actually going into your body. And we quickly go through the ingredients and rest and why we chose them. Yeah, so the base of our rest is whole milk powder, So we wanted to that beautiful creamy mouth feel. We didn't want it to be super watery because ideally, like if you've got a super watery supplement, which we get that feedback that the avalanche is like, people just add milk to it anyway, So it might be low calorie, low sugar, but that then you're adding a whole heap of milk into it, it's obviously going to drive the calories up, so we wanted to start with whole milk powder as our base, what had that beautiful, whole food rich, creamy mouth feel. And then we've got cocoa powder going in, and glycine is one of our top functional ingredients. So glycine has been shown in the research to really support the nervous system and help you wind down and calm down in terms of improving your sleep quality. Then we've got magnesium in there as well, which we know help support muscle relaxation. And then we've got a couple of functional ingredients which have been traditionally used in Western medicine for their beautiful calming effects. So we've got passion flower extract. And if anyone remembers our Restop chocolate, was it last year that we ran out? It was so popular and we couldn't get it back in stock for ages And it was because of the damn passion flower extract which we've imported in from Europe and it got ordered, it got lost, that we got it expressed on the plane and it got We just had so many issues and it was out of stock for months, nearly all through last winter, and people were very upset with us, but it was because of this beautiful passion for our extract we just couldn't get and that traditionally has been used to help to calm and ease an overactive mind. We've also got camomile extract in there, which we know has been well recognized for its calming properties. We've got l trip to fane, which is a very essential amino acid which is involved in serotonin and melotonin production in the body as well. And then finally we've got to jube extract, which traditionally has been used in a lot of sleep support formulations in terms of calming and winding down as well. The restop chocolate is also good and free, so appropriate for clients with Celiac disease as well, and clocks in around sixty five calories with only six grams of carbohydrates in there, and naturally sweetened with a little bit of steavier as well, So that is our beautiful rest formulation. It's not too sweet, but it does have a nice creamy mouth feel as well. And we we'll be doing a special giveaway with our arrests, so if you haven't joined our private Facebook group yet, and you are on Facebook, send us a message on Instagram and we will send you the link to join our private Facebook Design by Dietestians community because we do a lot of special giveaways and exclusive access to things webinar recordings, trainings and that kind of thing in our group as well.
Speaker 1: So it's for our Design by Ditestian community.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, we'd hope to see you there. We're having simple conversations because we're cutting through some of the barriers to chatting to people online in those community groups, so it's worth joining, all right, Leanne, I found a nice winter comfort food. I don't know if you're going to like it, though, I will tell you I did buy it for the family, but I don't know if it ticks all our nutritional boxes. So we have previously talked about our love for the Delhi range of birds Eye frozen vegetables. They've got a whole growing range like seasoned beans, broccoli, and they've got some lovely flavor. Because my belief is if you make vegiet taste good, people eat more of them. And I think in the current climate where you go and broccoli can be like twelve dollars a kilo. You know, when you can buy a bag of broccoli florets that might last you a week or two for seven dollars. Financially, it makes sense. And frozen veggies are generally snap frozen at time of harvest, which means they retain all the nutrition. So they're a very very good choice. And I always have a range of frozen veggies in the freezer. Now for Bird's Eye, who we would love to work with. Birds Eye, if you're listening to us, we love what you're doing with your veggie ranges. But they've got some new ones we am. They've got a cauliflower cheese bake and they have this new scallopped potato with paprika. And I was making a lamb backstrap for the family and I purchased both this scolet potato with paprika as well as the cauliflower bake. Now, the couliflower bake was pretty tasty, I have to say, but I thought today we would review the scolet potato because I don't know if you what you're going to.
Speaker 1: Think of it.
Speaker 3: So this comes in the It's quite a big bag they sell them in. They're like six eight hundred grams.
Speaker 2: I think six hundred grams eight dollars fifty at wol worst. But they do regularly come on sale for about six seven dollars. They're often twenty thirty percent off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eight dollars fifty now for a kilo. Now, potatoes are not inexpensive, are they? Like if you put a few big potatoes and you can think not cheap all right, So the ingredient list is sixty percent potato and forty percent sauce. The sauce is milk, water, cheddar cheese, palmasan cheese, cornstarch, salt, mineral salts, thickener, paprika andion powder, garlic powder, so quite a few powders. It's quite a long list, but it's actually reasonably clean. If you are summarizing it. It's mostly potato cheese sauce, and the cheese sauce is mainly cheese, milk and salt. Like, it doesn't have a huge amount in it, but I guess the ratio sixty potatoes to forty cheese, it looks gonna taste pretty good. Whether it's that good nutritionally, we don't know. So per serve they're saying there's four serves per pack, so quite a hearty serve for four, and for that you get just over hundred just shy of one hundred and fifty calories, so about one hundred and twenty calories per serve, five point four grams of protein, four point eight grams of fat. It's not low fat, but it's low and saturated fat overall, thirteen grams of carbohydrate, one point eight grams of dietary fiber, and three hundred and seventy milligrams of sodium, so land if I was looking at the nutritionals, I would say, oh, I probably preferred twenty percent sauce eighty percent potato. But when I take a look at the nutritionals, they're actually pretty good for a cheesy potato bake. They've kept the sat fat low, which means that they're kind of diluting out the creamy cheese sauce. So if you're making a proper cream sauce you're adding cream or full cream milk to it. They've skipped that. They're kind of using some rich tasting cheeses, and they're thickening it up with the corn start. So in the couliflower, which I assumes a similar recipe. It wasn't thick cream in the sauce. It was tasty, but it did have more a more watery mix than a full cream cheesy sauce. It was quite light, which is how they're doing it. They're using the milk and the cheese flavoring to get it and a bit of salt, although it's not overly highd salt for a product that's got quite a few different additions of mineral salt. So I actually quite like it because when I go to dinner parties with friends and they we make potato bake, it is heavy, you know, it is really cheesy and creamy. There's a lot in it. I actually think this comes up pretty good, and most importantly, it tasted pretty nice, so to save I quite the family ate it. Everyone liked it, so it's got three and a half health stars. I think. Would it be a product I'm adding to the family dinner every night, No, but certainly on a weekend. If I was having a roast meal and wanted to save a lot of time and energy and effort, it would certainly cost me a lot more to make a potato bake with fresh potatoes, cheese, milk. Then this would cost for ease and convenience, so I quite like it a.
Speaker 2: Great I like the entire range. I use them regularly. My girls love. There's like a garlic broccoli one. I love the green bean ones often I put them in the air fryer. And I love the purple bag. It's like potato mushrooms, onion and beans, I think. And there's also like a country venge mixed as well with beans and carrot I think, and potato. So I like the entire range. I haven't tried this one. It is one of the new ones. I have tried the corn ribs. That's another one of the new ones as well. They were really good, but I found it a bit harder to kind of cook them. I was like, oh, can I put them in the air fryer. But yeah, I think I'll definitely try this. I think the nutritionals are very strong, and I think that if you were to buy a pre made, as you said, potato bake, it wouldn't be anywhere you're as strong nutritionally. You get what you're buying, like you're not buying playing broccoli, so you can't expect it to be the world's best ingredient list. I think overall for a nice tasting scullot potato bake, I think it's very strong, and I think that for four serves, if you can get that on SAP for six seven dollars, I think that's a really affordable cost. You just add a bit of greens on the side, add some protein, and that's a really nice, hardy, well rounded meal. But perserving thirteen grams of carbohydrates is very small. So I think even if you had two serves, if you were hungry or growing, or had higher requirements, I still think that would be absolutely fine. And you just whack it in the oven fifteen minutes to cook, grill it on top, and you've got this delicious tasting, well balanced carbohydrate push and it ticks all the boxes from my perspective. And if you say it tastes good, I'm in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like it, so give it a go. So I found that at Coals. But yeah, they're doing a great job with getting making it easier for ousis to eat more veggies that taste great. Actually, that's a lie. I bought them at all worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, always has a better range of the birds eye, yeahs one or two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I buy the coals corn ribs for five dollars and I love the coals Mediterranean vegetables for seven. So they're kind of my staples. And then I'll add these kind of other ones, particularly the broccoli. I like the bird's eye broccoli. And yeah, I just think functional ways to eat veggies is such a good investment in this day and age.
Speaker 1: You think these ones are at will worst. Definitely at wil worse. Smark Koles.
Speaker 2: Okay of this product, and it's our beef liver supplements worth the hype for your iron. And I just every single day am be marketed by a different company. Maybe it's because they heard me and Susie talking about our low iron, maybe it's because all my clients have been asking about it. But I just feel like I'm being hounded left front and center on Facebook with beef liver supplements. And I looked into them because even I was like, oh this sound good. I bought into the hype. But I have to be so clear on this, ladies, like this is not okay. This is the really really over hype. So beef liver itself is a great source of iron. It is a great source of iron, but the supplements are where I have an issue because the supplements have like tiny, tiny microdoses in them. They're so small that it is doing absolutely nothing for your iron. So if you are low and iron, do not waste your money on beef liver supplements. I cannot be more clear about that, because when I looked up I looked up over ten of these different brands online Susie and the majority were providing zero point four to zero point five milligrams of iron only, absolutely nothing. Do you remember when I said about women and their iron supplements, like most women are needing, you know, close to twenty grams you're getting in a serve of these beef liver supplements, not even one milligram, Whereas if you were taking something like a clinical dose of iron, for example, a Farograd C that's giving you one hundred and five milligrams of iron, Like zero point four compared to one hundred and five milligrams is a huge, huge, huge difference. So this is one of those times where the marketing online, the hype is being it's ridiculous, and even I fell for it until I actually looked it up and I was like what, And I hope people aren't actually taking this for their iron because if you are, you're being ripped off. And these are more expensive than a traditional iron supplement as well, so this is like a wellness gimmicky product. It is not a therapeutic iron supplement. You're paying a premium, but you're not getting anywhere near the benefit from actually clinically improving your iron level. So if you are focused on getting your iron up, increase your levels of red meat, get an iron infusion, or take a proper clinical dose of iron supplement. So go into a pharmacy and get something over the counter. And like Susie and I said, we prefer the liquid types to the capsules because they're just a little bit they're better in terms of constipation and gut issues. And if you do find that it is a little bit rough on your gut, try every second day. A lot of my clients have a lot better gut issues taking it every second day, taking a liquid as well. But please do not waste your money on beef liver supplements if you have low iron, because you're doing just that, you're wasting your money and you're not getting anywhere near the effective clinical dose that is going to make a difference at all. Like you're barely even scratching the surface in terms of what your body needs. From an iron perspective.
Speaker 3: I would never take a liver supplement in general. I think the liver is the detox organ of the body. I would never use the liver supplement for anything that I would take anyway, let alone that one is ineffectual. So, yeah, you've gotta be so careful. And yeah, we're being listened to, aren't we listen to Gary?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Well, that brings us to the end of another Nutrition Couch podcast for the week.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: Tell your friends about us so they can listen as well and enjoy all things beef, liver, supplements, iron, and all the other many ranges of topics we chat about on the Nutrition Couch. But thank you for listening and we will catch you in next week's episode.
Speaker 3: Have a great week.