Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the Sitdown. I'm Matt trollope Arata foroz open dot Com and I'm Dve.
Speaker 2: Christy, Managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine and Matt. This week you managed to catch up with a great guest. Tell me why you were sitting down with Layton Hewett.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we went up and caught him at the United Cup draw which was last Monday, which is actually, for a bit of context for listeners, is probably why you can hear a bit of like construction noise around after the draw. They were kind of disassembling the stage and packing up around us as we were talking, so it was a little bit of.
Speaker 3: A live site as it were.
Speaker 1: But I actually really wanted to talk with him about what's coming up for him because in January it will be the twentieth anniversary of his run to the final at AO two thousand and five, and also we are soon to release the full match on YouTube of his fourth round win over Rafa Nadal and we're actually going to be writing a bit about that too, So it was kind of like we got nostalgic with Layton. We talked to him about his memories of that run and how much of kind of a moment that was in Australia, how much audience came along with that ride, and it was really cool to hear his memories and how you know he remembers it in such detail. And then of course the Davis Cup Finals are coming up and he's the team captain. So while I had him, we also thought about it'd be a good chance to chat about the Aussie's chances there and what a great season it's been for the Green and Gold.
Speaker 2: Well, whether it's the past, the president or the future, there's a lot of ground to cover with Layton, so let's hear what he has to say.
Speaker 3: Latan, thanks very much for joining us today.
Speaker 1: You're worries we're catching you at the United Cup draw, But I think what I want to do is throw forward to January because it will be the twentieth anniversary of your run to the final at A two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Can you believe that was twenty years ago?
Speaker 4: Now? It goes pretty quick when you think about it. Certain parts of it I guess doesn't feel that long ago. And then there's other times when it feels like, yeah, the game keeps going to new levels all the time, and it does feel like, yeah, a long time ago. But ye see some great memories over that whole summer of two thousand and five for me, not just at the Australian Open, but leading into it, and I think that sort of built up then, I guess the expectation and obviously the crowd.
Speaker 5: Involvement over the couple of weeks down in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you won't see as well. Yeah, the winning four Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what is the memory that stands out here most about that summer because there were so many highlights for you?
Speaker 3: Is there one that you're like that was awesome?
Speaker 4: Not really, I guess in the end, Yeah, when you come so close, so this the last mate you win to get into the final, So probably the semi final win against Andy Raddick And actually yeah, I had to come down back from a set down in that match and the second and third sets were extremely tight as well. So probably just the satisfaction of getting over the line in that match to know that I'd given myself a chance to play on the last Sunday at the Australia and.
Speaker 1: It was the Centenay year of the a of that year and I remember Alisha also made the quarters of the Women's There was such a buzz around the Aussies that year. Do you reckon that contributed and buzz around the Aussies and the tournament? Did that contribute your performance?
Speaker 5: DI think well, it certainly helped.
Speaker 4: But I think every year that I played I got unbelievable support, So I don't think there was any different. I think it was purely that I was a contender that particular year that it obviously built up to a bigger thing because I I was making a run. Plus it felt like, to be honest, that I probably had the toughest draw from the very first round that I'd ever had in a Grand Slam. To be honest, every single match I had tough opponents, and in those particular rounds you'd probably expected them all to be second week of a major. Yeah, So I felt like I was playing this epic match every second day. And obviously my matches never went that quick either, so they felt like obviously long drawn out battles.
Speaker 5: I think for everyone sitting across Australia.
Speaker 3: Well, I was literally going to ask you about that. I have an undying memory.
Speaker 1: I'd finished year twelve and I hadn't gone to UNI yet, so I was on break and we were at a house party and you were playing now Band Him in the quarterfinals, and the party stopped and started gathering around the TV and watching you in You Want Other ten A in the and there was just that sense of like the entire country getting behind you. And then the staff and final had four or five million viewers. Were you conscious of how big the following was, of what was going on and did you like embrace it all?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, no, I certainly embraced it, and I think you can feel it, I guess throughout that when you're at the tournament. But in terms of viewers watching at home, obviously you got very little idea.
Speaker 3: Did you know that they were all those hinny like that?
Speaker 5: Probably not that big to be honest, But yeah, it was awesome. Obviously.
Speaker 4: I think the Nombania match might have been played on Australia Day as well at the time, so there were fireworks going.
Speaker 5: Off mid match when we were playing.
Speaker 4: We had the roof open, so there was a lot of stuff going on and that turned into this absolute epic five set match as well.
Speaker 5: But as I said, it felt like every match was nearly an epic match.
Speaker 4: I had to play Raffa in the round of sixty, you know, and normally you'd be playing him in quarter semis or finals the Grand Slam, and that was a day match which went the distance five sets as well.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I felt like I was just.
Speaker 4: Playing all these massive matches and obviously, yeah, it ended up in the final.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask you about the Raffer match of you asleep. So you played him in No.
Speaker 1: Four at the A in the third round, beat him in straight sets. A year on he took you to five.
Speaker 3: You know, getting through.
Speaker 1: That must have been a huge confidence because but what did you notice about that match, Like how quickly he come on the time in.
Speaker 5: The twelve minutes.
Speaker 4: But even though I played him in the third round the year before, you knew how good a player he was going to be. I think I said at the time that this kid's going to win the French over someday. I didn't realize it was going to be the next year, and so it.
Speaker 5: Was pretty amazing. And then, you know, I it was a tough.
Speaker 4: Battle and in the end I probably got him physically, to believe it or not, he was obviously still pretty young at the time, but we played on a day match on the center court and love Lave Arena, the extremely hot conditions, and then when I won the fourth set, I just felt physically I was able to get on top of him and ended up running away with the Fitzer three and for four.
Speaker 1: Months later he went on to win Roland Garross. So your prediction came true. It was so soon after that were you did you think he was ready then to win a major?
Speaker 4: Like his game styles, who did play so he was able to do things You could tell on the hard court how hard it was going to be on a clay court to try and play against that kind of player playing that style. It was something completely different to what you'd seen before. And for such a young kid at seventeen eighteen years old, physically he was in very good shape in terms of able to go toe to toe against men, which not a lot of juniors are able to do.
Speaker 3: He's now just announced his retirement.
Speaker 1: There was all that talk about how his punishing style of play wouldn't lead to career longevity, and he played for years to do.
Speaker 5: With how mentally tough are years though as well.
Speaker 4: I think there was a lot of times that he played through pain and he was probably one of the greatest players to ever be able to do that, I think, and get the most out of himself in very tough positions that he puts his body through, but that was his style of tennis and how he got the most out of himself.
Speaker 1: Just on Davis Cupp and the year for Australian tennis in general, it's been one of the better years for Australian tennis. So many highlights and it's all kind of dove tailing into but back in the final eight we've made the last few years of finals, it's not just demon at the time.
Speaker 3: We've got such depth. How did to the good O this.
Speaker 1: Year and kind of like what's the feeling around and the moments around Australian tennis this time.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's a great feeling around everyone.
Speaker 4: And it's important in the team aspect that it's not just one or two players feeling great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you want everyone going there feeling.
Speaker 4: Like they're playing their part and doing the job that you need them to do. And I think my whole squad feels like that at the moment, which is great.
Speaker 5: They feel like they're in career.
Speaker 4: Best born, whether they're playing singles or doubles or having to play practice sets against other players. They're all pushing each other to get better, which has been really important and that's helped us, I think, get so many guys in the top.
Speaker 5: Hundred now in the world where they were really but.
Speaker 4: They belong there on the tour, a lot of guys at career high rankings as well. We won obviously double slams this year, we won gol Battle as well in dubbles, and then alexis cementing himself as a top ten player as well, so so many positives. Obviously, we go into Malaga the Davis Cup quarter finals, have to play the US, which is a tough ass. But yeah, we're obviously trying to navigate our way through that and depending on the matchups and trying to get that right and hopefully we can give ourselves a chance. You know. We go there and we've got to win three matches, you know, and that's sort of the thinking is, we've got to navigate our way of getting through three of these matches and we can hold up the trophy, but it's certainly not going to be used.
Speaker 1: No, Well, you guys have done that. You've got them you've won the two matches before. I guess they know they can do it. Like you said, what's the difference to get one more?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think the boys have done too much wrong a little bit, especially last year. We're awfully unlucky in the Popera match against Annoldy.
Speaker 5: He had so many.
Speaker 4: Break coourt opportunities and if he break early in the first set, I have no doubt that he would have run away with that match, and we just weren't quite able.
Speaker 5: To get over the line there.
Speaker 4: And if we're able to give ourselves a chance in a live doubles for the Davis Cup final, I know who I'm backing, so you know where people don't understand how close we were.
Speaker 2: Matt, congratulations. That was such a good interview with Layton. Thanks for finishing on the Davis Cup. You know, it just brings back so many memories of Layton and the Davis Cup, and for me, Layton at Rod Laver Arena specifically is probably one of my most enduring memories in tennis. I remember that semi final in two thousand and three. He was down two sets and I my memory is correct, three to five against Roger Federer and Yeah, just a couple of points away from losing that match, which he went on to win in five sets, and then he beat one Collis Ferrero, also in five sets in the final to lead a strow you to the title.
Speaker 1: And that's the last time we won the Davis Cup and we've come incredibly close since then. As he discussed in the interview, it has been such a great year for Ozzie tennis. They are bringing such momentum into the final. Lad it'll be really interesting to see how they go. It sounds like he's pretty boyed about the team's chances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, like you said, it's been such a great year for Ozsie tennis generally, and they all kind of get along really well and support each other during the year, so I think it'll be all positives when they head to Spain.
Speaker 1: And what about if we're going down memory lane, what do you remember about that centenary Australian Open in two thousand and five. I hadn't started working in tennis yet, but I think you were.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, I've been working in tennis forever.
Speaker 5: Match, so I do remember.
Speaker 3: I was soon to join you.
Speaker 2: I do remember it really well. I mean, there was just so much excitement. It just felt like everyone was along for the ride, and you know, it had been such a long time since we had an Aussie finalist in Melbourne, so yeah, there was a lot of excitement, a lot of support and even when he lost the match, of course there was disappointment, but it was a great champion in Moran Seffon so and a great quality final as well. So yeah, I felt like the buzz went on for quite some time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was brilliant and viv In preparing for this interview, you let me in on an incredible stat I'd never heard before relating to Layton at rod Laver.
Speaker 2: Yeah. An incredible fact about Layton is he only ever played on one Australian Open match outside rod Laver Arena, which was his very first appearance in nineteen ninety seven. He was just fifteen years old and he played on court three against Sergei Bugera.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in the twenty year Australian Open career he played every other match on rod Laver Arena.
Speaker 1: And then of course those couple of Davis Cup matches as well. So yeah, what a story history. Thanks so much for joining us on the sit down and we'll be back again next Monday with another episode of the sit Down, and in the meantime, you can listen to John and the team this Thursday on the aoshow Weekly.
Speaker 2: Details for how to contact us are in the show notes, and please subscribe, rate and review. See you next week, Matt, see viv