Speaker 1: The Rise and Conquer Podcast acknowledges the traditional custodians of the land which this episode is being recorded, the Yugen Bay region. We further acknowledge country throughout Australia and their connections to land, sea and community. We pay our respect to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and terrestrid Islander peoples today. Hello and welcome back to the Rise and Conquer Podcasts. This is the podcast for ordinary people who want to do extraordinary things. If the company doesn't or the business doesn't have clarity and vision, it's not going to go anywhere. It's not going to have you know, the legs and the grit to keep up levelngth. Hello and welcome back to the Rise and concor Podcast. It is our fun Friday epps where you send in your life dilemmas and I provide you my very unqualified two cents on the situation. Well actually today it's not as unqualified because we are talking Bizinius. But before we get into the episode, I just wanted to say if you guys hadn't seen, we just released our very own rn C affirmation wall papers, so you may have seen these bread crumbed on my Insta. They are beautiful affirmations and they're completely free. So all you have to do is go to the website and use the code empower me and they're completely free. You just download that discount is automatically applied it checkout, so you shouldn't have any issues with that. And there is seven beautiful affirmations. Yeah, I just I think you guys are going to love them, so make sure you check them out. And today, guys, we have a bit of a spin and we are doing quick fire biz questions. So we did a Facebook thread and we ask you guys, what questions do you have about anything business related? And you guys had so many good questions. So literally I didn't know the questions. A tea just reads them straight from the thread and I just tell you instantly what comes.
Speaker 2: To my head.
Speaker 3: So I hope you like them. I hope they are helpful.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we chat about things like staff management KPIs being a boss when you know you're a people please put sand up, and even pricing in the current climate. But before we get into this hotline episode, but before we yet into that, let's wear weekly Recommendations. Hi A tier Hello, what is your reck this week?
Speaker 4: My recommendation this week is actually a comedy special on Netflix. It's called The King's Jester and the comedian I had watched previous episodes of a show he had on Netflix, but this was just like next level and he talks a lot about controversial topics, but in such an interesting way that I learned a lot. But it was very funny. Yeah, I highly recommend it. I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: We love a comedy. All Right, my reck for the week.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, if you guys listened to last Friday's Hotline, my recommendation was a show called what was the show called a Tier?
Speaker 3: Was it tell Me Lies? I think it was Tell Me Lies? Did you watch it? No? Okay, I haven't watched it yet.
Speaker 1: So guys, I can't remember if this was the week before or the week before that, but I gave you a recommendation Tell Me Lies on Stan and on Disney Plus. It was on Disney Plus. Excuse me, it was on Disney Plus. Thanks Ta Tia picking that up and in it, I.
Speaker 3: Was like, I love this TV show. It's so good.
Speaker 1: And then I described it as similar to like, you know, previous relationships with.
Speaker 3: My ex and then meeting Tim.
Speaker 1: I just want to say, you take it back.
Speaker 3: I take it back, So you take back the recommendation. No, no, So the TV show.
Speaker 1: Is great, drama, sex, you know, more drama. It's great, and we love a college TV show. I just want to say, because he turns out to be very problematic, oh, very toxic.
Speaker 3: You liked the character when you recommended it, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I was like, I get him, Like it's hard when you're just got out of a relationship and there's a new relationship. But no, he turns out to be very toxic and very manipulative. And I just don't want it on the record that I almost because do I say it's like, you know you like resonated with it, because yeah, I do not resonate.
Speaker 3: You resonate with him halfway through episode one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like literally episode one.
Speaker 3: I just want to put that on the record.
Speaker 1: Because I would be so worried if someone listened to that recommendation when I watch it and then thought, oh my god, Georgie's fucked, Like Georgie's twisted, because like as it progressed, you see, because it almost goes back in time, like the first episode is like them now, and then you keep getting like visions from them back in college.
Speaker 3: Oh and then.
Speaker 1: Like as you keep getting them, you see how messed up he was. Yeah you well, yeah, just a lot of layers, lots happening, lots of interesting things, and I just wanted to put that on the record.
Speaker 3: Okay, what's your recommendation.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got a new recommendation. It's a TV show, Jamie. I know you said we can't keep doing TV shows, but also it's my show, so Jamie's like, give us some education. I started watching Wait, have I recommended this The Handmaid's Tail?
Speaker 3: No? Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So Kate Jones stayed out of my house after the candy collection event and she was telling me about the show called The Handmaid's Tail. I had seen shorts and thought not so dark, not for me, because it looked like a period show and I'm not into that shit. I'm like, boring unless we're doing what's the one we want, Brigidon, unless we're doing bridgiton not.
Speaker 4: But you know what, everyone's like, I don't like period shows, and then they watch it. They're like, but it's so good and it's not just that one.
Speaker 3: They're all pretty good interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, true, I actually haven't watched other ones, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm like not interested in like that day and time.
Speaker 1: But I also don't like medieval stuff. Okay, so like, yeah, anyway, we're going off on attention in here. So Handmaid's Tale didn't really understand the whole concept. She explained it to me and was like, it's twisted. You've got to watch it.
Speaker 3: I'm like into season three. I serious joke, I'm onto season three. It's been two weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I literally and I you know, I don't go to bed past nine pm. I literally stay awake in sony ten pm. But still I stay awake and I have to watch the show.
Speaker 3: I'm so addicted. I think you've got to watch it a tear, you know what. I think.
Speaker 4: I started watching it when it first came out and then got half an episode in and.
Speaker 3: I was like, this is a bit much, but I'll give it a much. Yeah, but I just the bravery. I do think I would like it, the challenge, the I don't know.
Speaker 1: Halfway through season two, I honestly like turned it off and I was like, oh it's too dark. Yeah, making me sad, But then you keep watching, you keep pushing through, and then it I don't know, I'll give it a go. Yeah, anyway, so random. I'm really enjoying that. And it's very I've never been so engrossed in a TV show where I forget the time and don't look at my phone.
Speaker 3: That's what I say. It is like very engrossed. Interesting.
Speaker 1: Anyway, here are some hot fire biss.
Speaker 4: Alrighty, so on this episode, it's a little bit different to our normal hotlines. We were all having a chat in Facebook group and we had a lot of fun biz questions come through. So I thought Georgie would do a quick fire business hotline answer sess with.
Speaker 2: You all the things, all the things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and guys, Georgie hasn't actually heard these questions yet, and I haven't really rephrased what was written, and I'm just reading out what people in the Facebook group are wanting to know. And if you do want to join the Facebook group, hop into the show notes and they should be link there.
Speaker 3: We'll pop a link there. Amazing.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so it's just like my first reactions, just like thirst intoitive thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yes, cool, let's do it.
Speaker 4: So the first one, this person would love to know about how you do staff reviews, set KPI's professional team development, and how you continue to nurture your team.
Speaker 1: I love this because it's so important. I was talking to a HR specialist the other day and she kind of said, you know, you can only go, especially if you're looking at scaling your company or just like scaling your business, you can only go as far as your team. Like that is going to be such a bottleneck. And also someone asked me the other day, like, what's the hardest part about business, and I said, people like, Yeah, to be very honest, it's you know, making sure your team is happy, making sure you know how to deal with each person and really like listen and make them feel seen because you're really only as good.
Speaker 3: As like your weakest link. Yeah, so not that there's any weeklings, but you know, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So in regards to KPIs, so each month I have so I actually have a weekly meeting with each person on because I in Naked Harvest, I'm quote unquote the creative director, So creative we're talking marketing, graphic design, obviously the influencer side of things. And then you know, Cooper is more logistics customer service warehouse, so we split those and he has a weekly meeting with his side.
Speaker 3: I have a weekly meeting.
Speaker 1: With mine, and so who I chat to is you know, Leah, she's Partnerships and PR, Kira, she's social Media.
Speaker 3: Mel is obviously our brand exec.
Speaker 1: So that's all things marketing, our graphic designers, and so just in that meeting, I just.
Speaker 3: Check up what are you focusing on this week.
Speaker 1: I think it's really important, as you know, a business owner, to have your finger on the pulse with everything and just know where your employees are, know where they're spending their time. I'm not a micromanager. I really love everyone to like go off and do that thing and do it in their way, but I do think it's very important to just like know what they're doing in their day to day and also if they're struggling with anything, is there anything that's you know, making them work. For example, something I was chatting to someone about was she was explaining she spent a lot of times just doing emails. Yeah, and she's like, it's wasting a lot of my time. I think we need to streamline this process. So if we didn't have you know, that weekly meaning where I can check and be like, you know, are you spending your time, what's not working? What is working? We streamline processes, we understand things a bit more, so it's really important. And then KPIs is a monthly thing for us. So every single month we set new KPIs and then we have a meeting at the end of the month where we check on those KPIs and it's I explain to the girls, it's not you know, you must meet this otherwise you're fired or anything like that. It's more if they're you know, if they are met, amazing, congratulations, you're killing it. Let's set some new goals. If they're not met, it's more, let's have a look at why. Is it because you know, let's just talk about social media for example. Is it because you know, maybe TikTok needs to be a bit stronger, or maybe we don't actually have any activations going on in our Facebook group, or you know, why did we not meet this? And we brainstorm together, we get a bit of clarity, and then we make new KPIs.
Speaker 3: According to that.
Speaker 1: So that's really import And then in regards to development, we actually had a meaning the.
Speaker 3: Other day with all the team and I think the biggest thing is asking them.
Speaker 1: So me and Cooper we're in a meaning about you know, hr side of things, and we're like, oh, you know, one of our ideas was let's get everyone Audible and do a book club where we all read the same book and then we come together we do a book club.
Speaker 3: And then I said to Cooper, I.
Speaker 1: Think we would love that because me and Cooper love books, We love Audible, we love self help. But I was like, I don't know if the rest of the team would like that or if they would be like this is just annoying as well as like this is like more work. Yeah, then yeah, and you you want to you know, you want your employees to love working, you know, for you and love coming to work.
Speaker 3: That's such a big value of ours.
Speaker 1: So instead of like being like, hey, guys, we got you Audible and we're all reading this book, we had a meaning with everyone and we asked the question, what do you want that is going to help you in your job, that is going to make you want to come to work, that is going to you know, help you develop. And then I had a meeting with everyone after and you know, there was a couple of things like someone came to me and they're like, there's this mini course I really want to do that I think is going to really help me in my skills with you know, my job. Yeah, and so she's doing that mini course and then someone else was like, yeah, I want audible, I want to read self development books.
Speaker 3: So she did that, and so we like to take the approach.
Speaker 1: Of more individual how we can help the team, rather than thinking we know.
Speaker 3: What's best for the team.
Speaker 4: And like, I love that you guys got the walking pad, ye stand up desk.
Speaker 3: That was Mel's request.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's like because I think, you know, especially because our girls generally, you know, they work over the time, they do long hours. Especially we've just had a launch with things happening, and Mel you know, is complaining, not complaining, but it's like she doesn't have time for gym or she's so tired after work. So her whole big thing was like I want a walking pad so I can walk and to my emails. And that's you know, a big value of hers is her health. Yeah, so we're like, cool, let's get your walking pad, like you know, like let's make you enjoy And I think that's such a big thing.
Speaker 3: But it's also like, I'm not going to know that.
Speaker 1: I know, I don't want to guess that because I don't want one, I'm probably gonna try it. And so I think a big thing is listening to your employees rather than thinking you know what's best.
Speaker 3: Yes, I love that.
Speaker 1: Question.
Speaker 4: The next one, this one's quite interesting considering the current climate. But pricing, how do you decide that? How you decide what it is in the first place, and then if you need to adjust it, and then going into getting new clients and old clients to come back to your business.
Speaker 1: Love Okay, So first one, pricing, We generally, like when we price things, we go off a certain percentage. Like in shopify there's actually a button where you can put in the price and then put in how much it costs you and it will tell you the percentage profit margin. So we generally when we're pricing a product, the profit margin is mostly the same around you.
Speaker 3: Know, the board, and that's how we get our prices.
Speaker 1: Obviously, we are looking at competitors, we are looking at things like that, but we I think from an integrity side, like we're rather than being like, oh, well they charge heats for it, let's just you know, charge a lot more.
Speaker 3: It's how much did this cost this? You know, what's the profit that.
Speaker 1: We need to make to keep things running for all our expenses to pay our team, to pay the.
Speaker 3: You're like salary or rent or anything. Does it? No, not exactly.
Speaker 1: So that's what we generally do, is like as I guess a company, we have a certain percentage that we almost need to meet to even bring out the product, otherwise it's just not going to be worth it or you know vice versa. So price and that's actually a good point of tea is with the current climate because of how expensive shipping is, you know, since COVID, and then also just a lot of natural like all our products have like you know, natural sweetness and all these very particular products that have Yeah, just like what the manufacturing costs has gone up so much and we haven't put up our prices. So that's you know, that's even a conversation we're having at the moment. We have and you may have noticed a lot of companies putting up their prices.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot have and put little things out explaining why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like it's because everything is more expensive, yeah, and we you know, we get that. We personally have made the decision not to do that because you know, our big, big pillar of Naked Harvest is our nhgain, our community. And another factor that came in is we know things that are more expensive for us, but we also know everything is more expensive for everyone else, So you know, they're having to pay more for their fuel and all their daily things and for their house.
Speaker 3: Oh god, don't get me started on the mortgages.
Speaker 1: And so we kind of made the executive decision that we wouldn't put up our prices just yet because we know everyone's kind of struggling, yeah, and we're like beautiful, let's kind of be their comfort product, their safety product, where you know, we're not blind signing anyone in saying that, like profit wise, we will at some point have to because like to be very transparent. Like our pre workout manufacturer put it up by thirty percent.
Speaker 3: What we pay thirty percent?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like huge, it's massive, Yeah, which completely cut into our a massive portion of your profit that pays everybody's wage most of it. But it's like, I think, you know, if we can ride this wave and we can make sure our community is happy and really think about them first. And I guess this goes into how do you keep clients coming back? Is we decided our pillars and our values from the start and they're you know, our big value is community. Another value sustainability. Another value is you know, fun and bringing fun and playfulness to fitness. So you'll have values of your company. And I think if your community, if your customers can see you sticking to those things, that very much pays into integrity.
Speaker 3: And I feel like a lot of people stick.
Speaker 1: With companies with integrity, yes, and no matter what happens, if they keep showing integrity like they generally they stick with you. I think about, you know, all the brands I use and that's why I keep coming back.
Speaker 3: So that's a huge part of it.
Speaker 1: In regards to you know, our clients coming back or customers, I think you need to look at for example, if your retention rate isn't great, like survey your customers, you know, be like, you know, why why did you not purchase?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 1: We actually have flows in the back end that we use with Clavio that it's like if someone you know buys something thirty days later, they get sent an email being like do you want to purchase this again, you'll probably run out and then also flows that it's like if you didn't purchase.
Speaker 3: This again, like why not? We'd love to know.
Speaker 4: That's awesome And a lot of people respond to that cut, like not too many, but enough for us to understand what's happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: So that's even like something is you know, you are your business is your customers, so you need to always be checking with them, always listening in. And that's actually, you know, something for the new year we're doing with one of our ranges is we're reformulating because we have you know, the feedback is, you know, we love this product, but this, this, and this basically we love it, but it could be better and yes, ways, so that's what we're focusing on because again it's like if we're not making our customs happy, what's the point. Yeah, So listening to them is really really huge and just understanding them, Like I think a big thing you need to do is like you know that whole process that you would have done in marketing your marketing degree a tears, like you know your avatar of your target person, yeah, your customer persona Yeah, like understanding them, getting really clear on them and trying to put yourself in their position of maybe why they're not coming back again.
Speaker 3: You want to get that firsthand if you just ask the people. Yeah, but that that is a huge thing. I love that. That's amazing advice.
Speaker 4: Oh, this sound's pretty good, kind of like the first one. But how to manage staff and be a boss for the first time when you're a people pleaser so hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's just like, I think that truly needs to be a balance because I've worked for people in the past who there wasn't a balance and they're just kind of assholes.
Speaker 4: And I ever worked for someone that's like too nice.
Speaker 3: No, no, never, never, No.
Speaker 1: I feel like most people in that position are very generally assertive and.
Speaker 3: A type of person. Should we be saying aggressive instead of assertive?
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe no, but aggressive assertive Like yeah, I think it's fine. But I think and that's another big value me and Cooper had. So we both came from jobs where we hated them. I worked corporate, he was a plumber, and we were like, a big thing is we want our team to love coming to work. Yeah, So a part of that is having a relationship with your team and you know them being The big thing is them buying into the dream, buying into the like the end goal of the company. Yeah, the whole your core beliefs of the company. That is the big thing, because if they don't believe in it, they're not going to work their hardest, they're not going to you know, go out of their way to change things or bring them their best self. So I always and to be honest, Like I struggle this myself of showing up as someone who is assertive and you know, leads the team and then someone who is also my team's friend and a people.
Speaker 3: I think you have a really good balance. I feel like I do too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cooper says I'm too nice. But it's a lot of conversation. But yeah, I think you need to have a balance. And I think it's also if you can just be clear get clear first. Communication is just such a huge part. But yeah, I think there does need to be a balance. It's not just all one way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, next question where to start how to make ideas actually come to life? And what's the first point of contact you made when you had your business idea? So just like everybody you know business podcast, it's like make a business plan. But we did that with Naked Harvest. Did you just use like one of the normal scaffold templates or like how did you go about?
Speaker 1: Well, mel Mel brought it to us. Yeah, so I said, we want you know, we want to start this company. I want you to start implementing facilitate it. So yeah, she brought I don't know if it was generic or not, where you know, we went through what do I have values want to be you know, what's our customer and getting really clear in that and then yeah, you could literally just google a business template or yeah, that sort of thing, and that's it's going to be helpful. Like I think a lot of it can be like very fluffy, but it's going to be very helpful because, for example, when you then make business decisions, what we do is are we making this business decision in line without values?
Speaker 3: And that's very true. You know that's going to help.
Speaker 1: Like, for example, that's the reason why straight off we did sustainable packaging. That's why our packaging is like the cylinders not plastic bags.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because plastic bags would have been cheaper, wouldn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh you're like, don't even get me started. Like like for example, like the CANi Star.
Speaker 3: Let's just say it's three dollars a plastic bag. Would a plastic bag?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a bag would be thirty cents, Like I'm talking like ten to one.
Speaker 3: Hundred times emount.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But again, we make that decision because our value is sustainability, so you want it. Yeah, so it's important. So it's like, well, it's not even a choice. Yeah, So that's why it's really important to do those. You know, at the start, I thought it was silly, but it's like, no, you do these and then you make decisions off you know, that business plan or your values and it can evolve, but that's okay.
Speaker 4: And it did your values evolve a lot with NHTRE if you sort of just added more rather than getting rid of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we just added more, I feel like from the start pretty much on the money, Yeah, pretty much the same. Like I was very clear with what I wanted. And it's because the business really started from a pain point of me not feeling seen in the fitness industry as a woman, not having natural supplements that you know, taste like dirt don't taste good. And then you know, I think that's.
Speaker 3: So funny because it's so relatable.
Speaker 4: Literally when you eat something, you're like, this tastes like the healthy version of chocolate.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, like that was such a big thing where you would go to like the natural subsign.
Speaker 3: It was all like ugh, it's disgusting.
Speaker 1: And then you know the last one of I think, especially if you're going to be an influencer brand, you do have a lot more accountability, which I love. So from the start it was very important for us to be sustainable, to really like make sure we hit the mark up here because I feel like, again, this is just like a random you know idea, but or yeah, just like a random thing. But I feel like, especially if you're an influencer starting a brand, people don't they give you one chance?
Speaker 3: Yeah you got well one and done? Yeah you want to done.
Speaker 1: Whereas if you're just a random person that you don't have your face behind it, you can generally fuck up a bit more, don't you reckon?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, because people aren't as critical. They don't have this like person like put on a pedestal already. Correct, you're building up yourself to be on that pedestal as a brand, rather than having a person that's there that you can knock off.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so from the start I kind of knew that influence has had a lot more you know, accountability, which again this is great because that meant that you know, sustainability was you know, our pillar and you know stuff like that. So from the start I had certain things that I was like, no, if we're gonna do things, we're gonna do it properly to the highest standard. Et cetera, love, et cetera, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
Speaker 2: Guys, let's be honest.
Speaker 1: When we're not sleeping, we're pretty much our worse selves. When Ivy wasn't sleeping as a newborn, I turned into just the worst. And she's sleeping now, But it just made me realize how important sleep is.
Speaker 3: And that's why my.
Speaker 1: Absolute holy Grail and h product has to be Moon milk. Moon milk was also my idea. Moon Milk is our functional blend of unique herbs, vitamins, minerals designed to relax your body and mind and have a calming effect on your nervous system. So we honestly had the most amazing testimonies from our enh gang and it has been reported to help people sleep at night, help them to wake up feeling energized and just put them in a really, really great relaxed mood. So we have a whole bunch of delicious flavors available. My favorite is definitely Rocky Road, but I know the og is just everyone cannot go past it.
Speaker 3: Basically, guys, moon milk is vegan, gloden.
Speaker 1: Free, dairy free, or natural, and I would be using this product as obviously to help you relax and unwind, but also if you're like me where you just want to finish the night with something sweet. So this is like my go to. I've had dinner, I make myself a Moon milk, I watch my Netflix, and I literally have the best sleep and wake up feeling refreshed. As always, Guys, I have my potty form a cheeky discount. You can use Rise and Concer podcasts at checkout for ten percent off. That is Rise and Concer Podcasts spelled out completely. Of course that will be in the show notes, and of course you can shop at Naked Harvest Supplements dot com. All right, guys, let's get back into the episode.
Speaker 4: Next question, how do I market I'm so lost about Facebook ads or keeping it organic on Instagram and TikTok mmm.
Speaker 1: See, I just feel like it's kind of hard because when we started Naked Harvest, such a different landscape.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's changed so much in the past three years.
Speaker 3: Changed so much.
Speaker 1: So when we very first started, obviously me being an influencer myself, I knew that it's like you have to play the influencer game. You have to do the influencer marketing, just because I knew how powerful it was. Yeah, and a lot of brands didn't get that memo at that time. At that time, yeah, and the brands that Skyrocketer did, So that was obviously a huge thing. And it is hard because you know, you're paying these huge rates and you're not under you don't know if you're going to get a return an ROI. So it's like a bit scary at the start now, and so we went pretty hard with influencing. At the start, we didn't do Facebook ads for a very long time. It was all organic and then obviously paid on social media. In saying that, now that we're like more evolved and we have more budget and spend, we I really see marketing as an ecosystem.
Speaker 3: So for example, you've got.
Speaker 1: To keep hitting, like you know, the five you know pillars, so you have to decide what they are. You have to decide what you go hard in. For example, Naked Harvest, it's we still, you know, do influencer marketing, so we have a budget there where influencer marketing, I really see it as like no one trusts, so people that you trust you will buy from them, so they're you know, the customers are really getting.
Speaker 3: Like a personal opinion.
Speaker 1: Then we go on to we do Facebook marketing, so that is a very like that's a cold marketing because it's like literally something getting shoved in your face. But you generally are hitting warm people, so you know, maybe they've seen it on my Instagram, they've seen on someone else's Instagram, they've they've seen it a little bit. But then they get hit with you know, a Facebook ad and they kind of generally know yes or no, I'm buying that or not. Yeah, then you have kind of like your subliminal I don't know if that's the right word. You're kind of like indirect marketing, which is like EDM. For example, we have EDM lists, so we're constantly nurturing them. We're not always just selling to them. Sometimes we're giving them blog pos or free value. We're hopping in their you know, in boxes and then also selling to them at certain points. So that's more of like a very intimate marketing because you need you know, you need them to sign up to your EDM, so we do.
Speaker 3: Very open them. Yeah, so we do various things.
Speaker 1: So it's like, you know, on our website, I think we have put your email in and you go onto the jaw to will win a two hundred.
Speaker 3: Dollars off gift card.
Speaker 1: We generally find that is a better ROI than doing the typical put your email in, get fifteen percent off.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so don't just do generically what every other company does, because yeah, we kind of did the math and calculated it, and it works better to do other things like sometimes we'll have that running. But that's another thing is that you to think outside the box, like don't just do what everyone else is doing. So we're like, you know, you'll enter give us sei email. Sometimes we do giveaways on Instagram where the thing they need to do is put their email in, or you know, just different marketing activations like that where you're getting people's details. We also do text marks marketing, so you know we have their number from them signing up and we'll send them texting text is sorry. And then we do marketing even like we do Pinterest, so we have our graphic designer create pins that are very like aesthetically pleasing. And you've got to know your platform. So Pinterest is aesthetic, so everything's got to look very polished, very to a tee. And then for example, TikTok is unpolished, so it's very like real time. I don't want to see it looking, you know, all done up. I want to see what.
Speaker 3: You see like overly edited almost Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also you've got to know which channels are like for example, a reels don't work on TikTok, and everyone puts their reels on TikTok, be included, and it just it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Because TikTok is a different platform.
Speaker 1: So, especially if you're starting out, I would just pick a couple and really get to know those platforms and understand why the person is on there, and create very specific content for that and start there. Don't I think, especially if you're like a one man band like I wouldn't be trying to do everything because you're going to spread way too thin and you're not going to like go deep. And that's like, for example, we kind of ignored TikTok for a very long time because our Instagram just like slapped it did so well. Yeah, but that's probably a mistake because we have fucking a whole team. So that's now you know, we're getting into TikTok, and our strategy on TikTok is very much we show you behind the scenes, we show you very real life, whereas Instagram is more polished, it's more that girl.
Speaker 3: So we're kind of and that's.
Speaker 1: The thing is like we're now understand that the marketing you know, a climate has completely changed, and we've got to up level. We've got to get on board. We've got to understand new platforms and create specific content for those. But I guess going back to the actual question of like keep it organic or paid marketing, you've got to I think you've got to do both. Yeah, if you want to scale, if you want to get into in front of people's eyes, like, you have to do both because even now social media marketing, like on Instagram, even organically, you're just not going to reach even your whole you.
Speaker 3: Know, full lists.
Speaker 1: It's insane, like it just doesn't work like that anymore. I think it used to work like that and you could post something and you could make a great return on literally spending nothing.
Speaker 3: Those were the good days.
Speaker 1: But now it's like Facebook is smart. It wants you to pay for marketing, and in saying that, like, if you do it right and you're doing all the things, you will get a return and it will, you know, work out.
Speaker 3: So I am.
Speaker 1: Such a believer that it's an ecosystem, so you should be doing bits of everything and it will be working all together. Because even if that person doesn't buy off that Facebook ad you paid for, they might then see it, you know, somewhere else that makes them buy. And if you're just constantly touching all the different points and being in all the different places, but you're hitting them like the mark and the nail on the head in those places, yeah, that's when it's like going to work. So that's what if you're literally starting out, I would kind of pick one or two platforms, decide, and also have an actual strategy. Do you mean you can't just fucking do random shit and be like, oh, my marketing's not working, Like you need to have like we have a marketing calendar. We have, like you know, all these themes of the girls actually creating strategies.
Speaker 3: They're not just like throwing shit at the wall.
Speaker 1: So it's important and I would say, like pick a couple try and like have an actual strategy, go hard on that.
Speaker 3: And see how you go.
Speaker 1: And as you kind of get better at that, then you can expand to the next platform and then the next platform, etc.
Speaker 4: Is it almost like the goal isn't necessary. Obviously the goal is, and it's ideal to have clicks and buys from that ad, but it's more in the long run to just create the brand awareness so that when someone for example, if it's Naked Harvest, when they want to finally buy a supplement because they've started going to the gym, you're the first brand that comes to mind that they then google and buy from.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So for example, if we're getting into Facebook marketing, we do both.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you generally have a cold audience, which is and for example, if you're selling to a cold audience, they don't know who you are, So you're not going to put up an ad where like they should know who you are, if that makes sense, You're going to put up a more generic, a more knotty. Maybe you're not even talking about a product, you're literally talking about the brand. So it'd be like Naked Harvest, we do natural supplements for men. Yeah, and you're like very clear about who you are and what you do. And then once that person goes into a warm audience, which is you know, maybe they've clicked on your website or they've bought one product, then you can get like very specific. So you can have a very specific ad of like moonmilk or do you have trouble sleeping or you know, do you have you just started to challenge and want to kick in the butt, Like imagine if that ad popped up like.
Speaker 2: Listening, they're listening to me.
Speaker 1: So it's also that's like a whole other thing is if you are a brand new brand, like I would be focusing on just introducing the brand and being very clear about who you are and what you do. But once you start to get a bit more known and you you know, have a bigger email listen, you have a bigger, warmer audience, then you can be very specific on like pain points.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, again, if it's like a whole strategy, Yeah, do both.
Speaker 4: In the initial stages, how did you go about finding manufacturers and supplies that you trusted. Also, I know you were in law, but was it an I quit and NH was already something that was in the works or did you just quit and know you wanted more. If it's the latter, what did you do in the interim that inspired yourself and your brother to leap into supplements?
Speaker 1: M okay, So first question finding manufacturers. So to be very transparent, we had a manufacturer at the start who I found and I knew in the industry. It is because of like my contacts, things ended up not kind of working out and we wanted to change manufacturer, which then meant, you know, we'd have to do it was a.
Speaker 3: Lot of work.
Speaker 1: Let's just say that how we found our manufacturer who we're with now is so weird. And this is literally why I believe a manifesting, like a.
Speaker 4: Life happens for me moment. Yeah, okay, So my so Cooper found them.
Speaker 1: So Cooper's friend, who he knew from high school, was you know, being a lot at the time. He he's like a roofer and he was doing the roof of the manufacturer.
Speaker 3: No, and you know, was talking to him like, what do.
Speaker 1: You guys do And the manufacturer's like, oh, yeah, we do natural supplements blah blah blah, and he's like, oh, my mate, he just started natural supplements. You know, it's Naked Harvest. And our manufacturer literally, because they are so busy and you know, the factory is only a certain size, they don't take any new clients on so literally they're not on Google, like you've got to know someone to find them. And it's because they're so elite and they've got such a high like grade. They're all natural. They take all the boxes for us, but you actually cannot like Google and find them.
Speaker 3: They're not anywhere. That's crazy. They don't even like have to have a website because that's how like how establishing business is good when they don't.
Speaker 1: Need a web literally, so he was like oh blah blah blah. Anyway, they just like got talking and the manufacturer guy was like, oh, yeah, like you know, give me his number, blah blah blah. I can't remember if he was like he's looking for a new manufacturer or if it was just like a random here's.
Speaker 3: My number, he's in my card. So then we cooper called them. We had a big chat.
Speaker 1: They came to us and we were like instantly I knew I'm such a big person on like energies. They had a meaning, and you know it's like two men.
Speaker 3: Usually you know what I'm like with Maras.
Speaker 1: No, no, they were like incredible, No, no, they were incredible and just like I knew they were good humans. We had a meaning, we set it up, and then so we moved to them. But that's what I mean about. You know, when we're talking about manifesting, it's not usually like a direct eye when I'm.
Speaker 3: Sorry, not mattering me a perfect manufacturer.
Speaker 1: And then no, no, sorry what I was saying, Like you know, in manifest how I talk about inspired action. Yes, so often how things come to you? And this is why I say forget about the how, because the how doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: It's not up to you.
Speaker 1: How things come to you can often be so random, so intricate, so like you would beside, you would never guess it. So it's like we were looking for a manufacturer, how would we know that it would like randomly come from like a person you know, Cooper's high school friend.
Speaker 3: So would then through Yeat doing his.
Speaker 1: Roof like introducing and that's why I say, forget about the how that's not your you know thing and also inspired action. And it's really weird because I'm pretty sure it's something random, like Cooper was just like so happening because where he lives is like a couple of hours away, so happening be there that we can and you.
Speaker 3: Know this and that.
Speaker 1: So it all fell into place, and I very much believe it was like, you know, the universe guiding us to this manufacture because they're so great.
Speaker 3: So yeah, not actually helpful.
Speaker 4: Advice, but like you basically went with your intuition correct in that they the right people for you, and then it worked out. Yes, but you also how early on in the process did you change manufacturers.
Speaker 3: Within the first six months? Oh wow, so quite soon. Yeah.
Speaker 4: But then it's also like reassuring for people because you don't necessarily have to get it right the first time.
Speaker 3: You can, you can change correct correct. Yeah, amazing. And then the second question, So when I quit, Naked Harvest was not around.
Speaker 1: It was not even an idea. I quit because I felt so overwhelmed with life and I knew I couldn't do both, you know, either the law job or the influencing job well, and I needed to make a decision. And also, to be completely honest, I guess I did have this gut into a feeling that it's like I knew something big was happening, and I knew I needed to make space. And I was just like, actually, also a little secret a tear to you and the RNC fam.
Speaker 3: I've kind of got that feeling now, Oh my god, me too, literally, like I know there's something.
Speaker 1: Big happening in my universe, in my soul, but I'm like, I just need space.
Speaker 3: But where do you make the space when you have no space? Well, this is the thing. So it's just what I've got to figure out anyway.
Speaker 1: Side point anyway, So I was just like, I know this big thing is coming, and I just I know I meant for more. It's very like cliche, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I need to make space.
Speaker 1: Obviously it worked out well for me because I had built my influencing up to the point where I was making the same as my wage.
Speaker 3: So you weren't like risking that much.
Speaker 1: It was not financial risk, no, Yeah, and also like I wasn't actually risking fucking anything because I'd finished my degree. Yeah, so like I and I finished my pot, so I literally could go in as a lawyer anywhere. Yeah, obviously, you know, turning down a really great opportunity of risk in itself. But I was just like, no, I need to seek this out. So I yeah, and then I think I was, you know, just doing like random things for a good year before even the idea of Naked Harvest came about. Yeah, I was doing like random things like doing me book, going events.
Speaker 3: Just starting the podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's and that's another thing is like all those things probably got me to Naked Harvest, which was you know, the big dream of the big purpose. But I needed that space and that time and those like small little steps to get me there. So never think anything's dumb or.
Speaker 3: Like off track, even if it feels random.
Speaker 1: Oh and then what inspired supplements? It's I've told the story a million times, but I had a really bad experience with a supplement brand that I was you know, plugging, that I was involved with. I basically found out what they had on their labels was completely wrong. Like, for example, they said, to me feel sick, no refined sugar. There was refined sugar in there. Dairy free there was dairy just so bad, especially because they you know, labeled themselves a vegan.
Speaker 3: It's disgusting.
Speaker 1: And I was having a rant to my brother because obviously that tarnished, you know, me as an influencer and my integrity of working with a brand like that. And I was having a big winch to Cooper and then it was a couple of weeks later that he was like, why don't we do.
Speaker 3: Our own subs?
Speaker 1: I was like, you're crazy, boy, and look.
Speaker 3: Where you are, and Okay, that's amazing, lucky.
Speaker 4: Last question, I have so many questions, but the last I'll ask is about people. How do you go about building teams? How do you attract and retain great talent?
Speaker 2: Mmm?
Speaker 1: I love all these questions about a team because one hundred percent, if you don't have a good team, you go on nowhere fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's actually my biggest advice is I generally would put on someone before you need them, rather than waiting to you're so overwhelmed or you're so don't have enough time, and then you have to try and find someone.
Speaker 3: You have to try, and you're.
Speaker 1: In a rush and in a rush, so you picked maybe someone who's wrong for the job. Something that we do is we bring someone on before it is absolute necessary, and we have fined that that works really well. So for example, Mel, Like when I hired Mel, and I guaranteed her three days.
Speaker 3: I was not making enough to her.
Speaker 1: Three days, but I thought, let's fucking do this because I want to take myself seriously and I take my business seriously. Yeah, even though like you know, it was just like random things. Another higher for example, we have two graphic designers in Naked Harvest. Yeah, whereas you know, like probably could be fined with one, but our aesthetic and our brand, you know, presence is such a huge pillar of ours that if you know, graphics weren't great, or they're rushed, or you know, we're stressing.
Speaker 4: Because that's just physically a bit too much for one, Yeah, that's going to drop.
Speaker 1: And that's such a huge thing that was important to us. So you need to know your audience. And also our audio is me who fucking loves aesthetics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's important.
Speaker 1: You know, we tend to hire before you get to the point where you're pulling your hair out. That's even like you a Tia, like we hired you when literally the podcast was not making enough.
Speaker 3: Money to have two people working there. But I was like, big dreams.
Speaker 2: It's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, literally will make the work for it. So I'm such a big believer doing that.
Speaker 1: And I know that's probably the biggest thing holding people back for small businesses because they have in their head, oh, I'm a small business. I don't need this, I don't need that. I can do it myself. But what you don't realize is you're doing the work and then you're taking yourself out of the most important role, which is the visionary of the company, of the business.
Speaker 3: And you're getting lost in the day to day.
Speaker 1: Correct And if the company doesn't or the business doesn't have clarity and vision, it's not going to go anywhere. It's not going to have, you know, the legs and the grit to keep up leveling, because that's actually another thing is you do. You have to keep up leveling, you have to keep evolving, and if you don't keep up, you get left behind. So if you're bogged down into the day to day things of that, someone else can definitely do, but you don't want to pay them. I'm sorry, Like, you're not gonna it's not gonna work. Yeah, and that's fine, Like because if you want to be a small business, like that's fine. Yeah, But if you have big goals and dreams and like this is your one shot, it's like sometimes you have to just pay the money and like be really uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Also, I fucking.
Speaker 1: Thrive on like, holy shit, we have to make this work because I'm gonna pay someone screwed otherwise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know. I thrive on that. I know other people don't. Me and Cooper thrive on that.
Speaker 1: Actually, it's like the candy collection to know you're like, oh my god, this better work. So I think higher before you're fully ready. And also that gives you a bit more time of taking your time so you know who's right for the role. In regards to you know, actually attracting and retaining, I think it is about a balance between them having the actual skills and them believing in the brand. You know. I think you've got to have both. We tend to market on our social media channels because I want someone who knows Naked Harvest, who believes in the brand. Otherwise I just feel like that is like going to lack somewhere else and they're not going to like understand what we're about and our mission. Yeah, so I think it's really important of them having skills but also believing in the brand. And you know, if you're not a huge brand, it's like when you have the interview of pitching them the mission and seeing how they react, see you know, what words they use, et cetera, and then retaining is you've just got to keep them happy.
Speaker 3: So, like I said before, asking.
Speaker 1: Them, like, like, something we do here is we're big on working from the office because we feel like people thrive. But we do say, you know, if you've got to work from home one day, like because of an appointment or whatever, that's fine. And also something we do say is, I'm so one, so big of my morning routine. So our general hours is seven thirty to three thirty. But for example, if you have a gym class that you know finishes at seven thirty and that's going to make you really happy and the pumped for the day, get here at eight and you know, finish.
Speaker 3: That little bit later. I would rather that rather than be like, no, it's seven thirty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like we do try and be flexible. We do try and ask people, you know, what they want, and also That's like another big thing of something we do when we're doing like probation meetings or checking in like quarterly meetings. Of the stuff is being like what do you like doing in your role and what don't you like doing? And you know, we want people to like do things they're loving and that sort of thing. So I think big things like communicating them believing in the brand, and obviously having the skills. Yeah, and I think I'll just add, sure, what's really good on the retention that you guys do is you make the office a nice environment, Like you've put the effort in to make the office esthetic, to get things like the walking pad. I know it seems silly, but like it makes it a place that you want to come to work, because I know a lot of my friends work from home and they love working from home because they just don't like going to the office because they don't see the point one half the staff aren't there anymore because everybody's working from home, and two it's just not like there's nothing extra yet, whereas here the vibe is so much more. Like I think if I was to do a day from home, I'd be like, oh, I'm.
Speaker 3: Not going to get to go with the walking pad or like.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna like be around everyone. I'll get to chat with people at lunch, and like that's such a big thing, that makes a small thing, that makes such a big difference in the long run to how you feel when you come to work and how you show.
Speaker 3: Up at work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think, well, that's the big thing is like just I always think from the perspective. You know, I've worked corporate, so I know exactly what you're talking about. I fucking hated god.
Speaker 3: Dingy carpets, no windows exactly.
Speaker 1: And it's like you you need to show up as the you know, the visionary of the company. You need to show up in the vibe of how you would want to come to work. And that's that's why, you know, we have spent a bit of money on I don't know if you know the city are, but like we all those boards out there, they weren't originally there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kira told me so, She's like it was carpet or something.
Speaker 1: It was like gross gray carpet. And so we paid ourselves even though we're renting to reboard the whole entire room, because I was like, it needs to be a vibe when I come in and like, that's why, you know, we buy these cute.
Speaker 3: Little chairs and we make sure they're deaths the you know, fun and you actually want to be there.
Speaker 1: And I know that's like a small thing, but it's like, if you think about the amount of time you spend at work, it's such.
Speaker 3: A huge part of your life.
Speaker 1: Yes, so it's so important you know, to me personally and you know to the team that it's like we all love being here. So just I think if you can just like think about it from your own perspective and think about it from someone else's perspective, that's huge.
Speaker 3: That's all they need. Amazing. I love this episode. Thank you so fun, Thanks so much for listening. Guys. I enjoyed the kind of hot fire not knowing what they were and just being like this is it.
Speaker 1: Bye, We're so awkward. Thanks so much for listening, guys. Bye, Thank you so much for listening to another episode of the Rise and Conquer podcast.
Speaker 3: If you enjoyed it and.
Speaker 1: Want more, come connect with us on Instagram at Riseinconquer dot podcast and join our Facebook discussion group, a Rise and Concer podcast community. We're an independent podcast and we have a small team, so we do appreciate your time and support. If you have a spare moment, a follow or subscribe on whatever platform you listen to would be so amazing. And look, if you're feeling extra kind, a review on Apple Podcasts would be great