Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 1: Flexing Frooms on cater I'm very mindful of referring to people doing things as trends, because sometimes we just do stuff in big numbers. But for the last ten years, and for the ten years before that and the ten years before that, we've seen a ton of musicians move into acting. Who's to say, what was the intention to begin with? Maybe they always wanted to be an actor and became a musician. We've got Harry Styles, yep with Griana, Lady Gaga, Billie Eilish, Ludacris.
Speaker 2: Lady Madonna, Madonna did some acting.
Speaker 1: Can we get a fact check on that one? Anyone from from the last five years? Prominent? Donald Glover he.
Speaker 2: Was an activist? But yeah, or was he different? It's different when it goes the other way?
Speaker 1: Oh, we all got We've got to know, No, it is.
Speaker 2: It's different when you become an actor to a musician. That's a harder jump. That's a harder jump because people don't take it through seeing who else. It's on the tip of my tongue. Donald Glover, Drake de Grassy, De Grassy came first matdow khin radio presenter into being a musician. Anyway, it's multimus, I'm in touch.
Speaker 1: Thank you, we'll get that fact check. We'll say it for like a little treat, little treat for us. Now, Like I said, I want to call it a trend, but it's an observation that I'm seeing and when I observe things, I want to pull them apart and see why that could be happening. Now, thanks to TikTok kind of exposing the reality is what it is to be a musician for people who are up and coming and trying to break in. It's illuminated in more ways than one, how exploitative the industry can be. People signing these contracts that are trapping them into making no money for an extended period of time, signing away their creative rights, their creative intention, and becoming their likeness, their likeness, all of the above, and so have some to think maybe, if we want to be critical, maybe it's just not sustaining to be a successful musician, aside from the fact that you know you won't make a lot of money with streams, and so you have to tour back to back to back to back, hasn't. Harry Star has been on tour for like three jillion years. He has all you do a little one tour and charge six thousand dollars a La Taylor loves dollars. It's a lot of money. Though you can see the whole thing on TikTok. Everyone's like, how can she charge this much? Master's price gouging.
Speaker 2: I thought you meant she earned six thousand, Come on, now, be for real.
Speaker 1: And so I thought, maybe being a musician isn't inherently.
Speaker 2: Attacks a lot. To be fair, she got a haven in Panama, perhaps off the coast, little beach shack, flying playerut in that plane, not five oo, which relies Kandama like carly enough.
Speaker 1: M. Then we think is because being a musician isn't sustainable and being an actor is a far more I would say, maybe reasonable way to make your money. You know what you're signing up for, you know how much you're gonna make. You do the job, you get paid, it's done. Whereas you're a musician, let's say you're someone with an intense hype train around them, like when Frank Ocean took a five year hiatus. You're coming back to so much immense pressure before you've even made the money. You spend five years making an album, you release it, you get a few streams, you might not make any money.
Speaker 2: J reckon he was working every day or having little holidays to work. That's true in the creative process. I apologize missed Ocean.
Speaker 1: Anything else you want to add?
Speaker 2: What a voice?
Speaker 1: Do it be worked every day?
Speaker 2: No, I'm actually wondering because like, like if you're not in the creative industries, you'd be like why does it? You know, people say like when's the album? Whn's the album? Like he were having creative ruts.
Speaker 1: Well, to be fair, he took that long because he was he was finding a really clever way to get out of his contracts, not get out of them, but to fulfill the obligations of his contracts really quickly and make twenty million dollars releasing Endless with.
Speaker 2: Apple Panama on the Beach. This is the most part break you with Flex and Frooms. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast. For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.