Speaker 1: Get Apeter Hally here, Welcome to you ain't seen nothing yet now. Today's episode is a replay, the final replay before we get started with the new episodes with Lockey Hue next week, who has never seen the movie Touch of Evil. We finally got him, the unicorn of this series. We finally got him. Next week, season six will begin, but before we do, before we do one final replay and it's with a fantastic comedian, Lloyd Langford. He's playing at the comedy festivals around the country at the moment. Check him out. If you can, go to comedy dot com dot Au and you will be able to find Lloyd's brand new show and yeah, you will not regret it. He had a great gala I know, a couple of weeks ago in Melbourne, so one of the actually absolute hits of the Melbourne International Festival Gala. Also Comedy dot com dot Au you can get tickets from my Also a new show, Deconstructed Oragami playing around the country. I'll have a lot to say about a lot of things, and I cannot wait to see you there. But this is an episode that was very special because the Princess Brian had been one of the most requested movies that we had. It's been No. One out of this people's favorite movies by I think more than any other movie. And Lloyd stepped up little Plate and he covered the Prince's Bride in fantastic fashion. So enjoy this episode before we get back to regular broadcast next week. And you ain't say nothing yet.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 1: Dance with the dead of the pail of mind.
Speaker 2: I'm walking ahead.
Speaker 1: I'm walking ahead.
Speaker 2: Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world.
Speaker 1: She walks in the mine happening right, so.
Speaker 2: You ain't seen nothing new.
Speaker 1: Welshman Lloyd Langford has won over ossie crowds over the past few years with his non showy commitment to top notch gags delivered inch perfect in his increasingly familiar well straw. Before resettling in Melbourne, Lloyd appeared on UK panel shows eight out of Ten, Cats, Russell Howard's Good News and QI, amongst others. Ossis and Kiwee's have loved these appearances on the local versions of Have You Been Paying Attention? Lloyd can also be seen right now on Paramount Plus with his partner The Freaking Hilarious and Edmunds in their live show Business with Pleasure. I watched it a few days ago. It is bloody hilarious, as is Lloyd his funny razor, sharp and talented. Despite his website saying he's an actor of limited range, even so, I'm bloody stoked to be hanging with him today.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: My name is Lloyd Langford, and my three favorite films this week are Master of the Flying Guillotine by Jimmy Wang Yu.
Speaker 4: A world with silent soldiers of death try everything in their power to conquer the most gruesome weapon ever conceived.
Speaker 2: The Last Detail by hal Ashba, This man.
Speaker 5: A Beer You gotta have a fucking beer.
Speaker 3: Man, And a film called Mustang by Denise Gamsi Ergovin. I'm embarrassed to say up until this week, I had never seen The Princess Bride.
Speaker 1: From Cliffs of Insanity, the pits of the spaf and fire swans with unusually large rodents to a Spanish swashbuckler with an unusually large companion rob Rowners, The Princess Bride has enchanted audiences since its release in nineteen eighty seven. Well, actually, this was another example of a classic movie finding its audience once It was released on VHS Inconceivable, based on his own book The prints Bride by screenwriter William Goldman, who wrote Bookcassi in the Sun, Dance Kid, All the President's Meant, among many others. The film begins when Colombo visits his grandson Kevin Arnold, who's feeling sick, but to be honest, showing very few symptoms. If he was my kid, he would have been going to school that day. What follows is a fantasy adventure, a fairy tale full of fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, and miracles. Oh and Andre the freaking Giant. Lloyd Langford, are you ready to climb the cliffs of insanity with me today?
Speaker 2: Yes? I am very much so excellent.
Speaker 1: We have your approval. The terms of conditions have been ticked. Welcome, Thanks for joining me, and thanks for doing your homework and watching The Prince's Bride. Why did you nominate this one?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's one of those films that is kind of I've seeped into the popular consciousness, and so I was familiar with aspects of it, and for some reason I just never got round to watching it. So when you asked me to do the podcast, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to rectify that. Also, my other choice was the seventh Summarai and not three and a half hours long.
Speaker 1: I must say, and I think I said to you, yeah, if you enjoy your experiences, that you can come back and we'll do the seventh Samurai. I do sometimes I'm relieved sometimes when I come home from the project and I've got the podcast the next day and I have to watch a movie. When I see it's a ninety minute film, it often comes as a relief. So thank you from the bottom of my heart. As well, this the previous bride has in a way felt like it's played. It's been a character on this podcast because it's come up a lot in people's favorite films. Okay, but I always have to point out and Listen is probably bored with me saying it. It hasn't held the place in my heart then it has for a lot of my guests because I saw in my twenties and it's not sound. I don't like it at all, but it just I don't have the reverence for it that some of my guests have had, and they tend to have watched it when it either came out or not long after it came out, at least when they were kids.
Speaker 3: I remember when I went to university and the first few of university you're all put you know. I was living with twelve other people, and we're all from all over the world in different.
Speaker 2: Places and stuff. And one day in.
Speaker 3: The sort of communal lounge, I started talking about the Goonies and none of them knew what I was on about.
Speaker 2: Wow, And nobody had seen the film.
Speaker 3: And so as I'm describing the film, I just sound more and more insane. So I imagine The Princess Bride is like that for a lot of people. They saw it very young, and so it's one of those films that has been with it for a long time. And obviously, you know I'm I'm thirty eight, No, so I don't know if I'm the target demographic.
Speaker 1: It's funny because often, like if I traveled overseas or speaking of people from overseas, I may assume they don't know various Australian movies. Yeah, but I think we all think that we all know the American ones. Yeah, so your situation, we're talking about the Goonies, which is I loved as a kid. I saw it in the cinema. I had a Goony's t shirt for well as an adult.
Speaker 2: So did you pull it up or do the truffle show?
Speaker 1: So what did you know about the Princess Bride going? And what were your reference points?
Speaker 3: If any I knew my name is Inigo Montalia, I knew that bit I'd seen. I think I'd seen the fencing sequence or part of the fencing sequence, like the stuff on top of the cliff of Instan is.
Speaker 2: It the cliff?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was going to say the muntains of mental illness. I was familiar with that.
Speaker 1: If any point, Lloyd, did you stop laughing at inconceivable?
Speaker 3: I think he's he's such a good fun Mesidi.
Speaker 2: He's such a little twerp.
Speaker 3: And apparently he keeps saying inconceivable because he was in the actor was in the film My Dinner with Andre I think yes, and he says inconceivable in the film. So it's just like it feels like a private jokey Rob Brian is gone, Ah, you said inconceivable once, and now I'm going to give you a script that has it one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 1: Times that Mel gives him a film poinject going, I want to say freedom a lot, freedom please, and.
Speaker 2: The onslaught of cameos.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know it really is. I mean is we won't get too fair? Well, couple go back and talk about all the cameras, because there's a whole bunch of them. There's some interesting stories behind them. But I do want to talk about your your top three films, and this is a first on this podcast. I have not seen a single one of them. In fact, two of them I haven't heard of. Is Mustang? That a Turkish film? Yes, yes, I've seen it. That is a brilliant film. Yes, so that well, my reputation has been restored. I've seen at least one of these films. The last detail by hal Ashby, I have not seen it. I wanted because I've been getting more into hell Ashby since I saw hald and Maude a little while ago. We did that episode with Jerdine Hickey. So, and what's that the first one of the masks? I couldn't write it down in time the Masters.
Speaker 2: It's the muster of the flaying guillotine.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start with that. What is the mass of the Flying Guillotine.
Speaker 2: Well, it is.
Speaker 3: An insane kung ful film from the mid seventies, sort of written.
Speaker 2: And directed by the star of the.
Speaker 3: Film, who is a guy called Jimmy Wang Yu, who was sort of like the top kung fu guy at the time. He was in a film called The Chinese Boxer, which basically kick started the whole kind of passion for kung fu and sort of unarmed combat in films. I think he's a very, very difficult man, and he was with the top studios in Hong Kong, Shaw Brothers, who made most of the classic kung fu films, and he had a big fallen out with them and he left. He basically broke his contract at the height of his fame and was like, fuck you guys, I'm going to Taiwan. I'm going to make my own films, which is what he did. And Master of the Flying Guillotine. There's a craze mainly featuring Jimmy Wang Yu for films featuring a one armed man. So he plays the character who's who's variously called this one armed boxer. He's he's a kung fu expert and he's got one arm. I mean Jimmy Wangu has two arms, so in the films, he's hiding one of his arms. He's kind of tucked into his trouser band, all hidden in his shirt. And Master of the Flying Guillotine. When I started getting into kung fu, and this was a film that was talked of in like hashed reverence.
Speaker 2: This film, You've got to see this film.
Speaker 3: And then I think Quentin Tarantina was like a big fan of it and kind of publicized it and talked it up, and then it got like a full kind of DVD release, kind of bells and whistles, and the.
Speaker 2: Plot of the film is.
Speaker 3: There is a man who is blind and he has been wronged by a one armed man in the past, and he's a sort of kung fu master who's pretending to be a monk, and he vows to kill every single one armed man he ever meets, such as his anger at one armed men, and he's got a device called the flying guillotine, which it's like a sort of hat on a on a rope that he kind of throws and it's sort of like a I guess, like a frisbee action. It lands over the person's head and then he pulls the rope and it decapitates them. Yeah, so he he's vowed to kill every one armed man he ever meets. And then parallel to this, Jimmy Wang Yu is just trying to go about his normal everyday business with one arm.
Speaker 1: And he picks on the wrongs on the.
Speaker 2: Wrong he does pick on the wrong guy.
Speaker 3: There's a kung fu tournament and Jimmy Wangyu enters it, and the Blind Master of the Flying Guillotine rocks up because he's here.
Speaker 2: There's a one armed man in town.
Speaker 1: This one I am doesn't have six fingers.
Speaker 3: He only has five in total. The whole film is on YouTube and I watched the first five or six minutes last night. The first five or six minutes really gives you a flavor of what's going to happen, because the Blind Master of Flying Guillotine, he's living on a mountain, he's on his own and he's just kind of waiting basically to find out what's happened to his two disciples.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 3: A carrier pigeon arrives with a note on its foot in braille because he's blind, and the note is from his two disciples, and it says if you get this note.
Speaker 2: We've been killed by a one armed so you need to avenge us.
Speaker 3: We're about to go and try and kill this one armed man and we think he's going to beat us, so we're sending you this note in advance, basically, so you need to avenge us. Then he jumps through the roof of his house and then lands outside with his flying guillatine. He decapitates a few sort of dummies that he's got set up. A chicken gets in the way and he decapitates the chicken and the flying guillotine. Then he turns around and sets his house on fire, and then he walks.
Speaker 2: Down the mountain.
Speaker 1: It's the first five minutes.
Speaker 3: It's the first five minutes, and I think they weren't as they weren't as bothered by copyright at the times. All of the soundtrack is like nineteen seventies crowd rock. They've just stolen all of this brilliant progressive German music and it's got like you know, it's dubbed and it's it's just a lot of I mean, I've seen a lot of kung Ful films and a lot of them are really bad, and this one is brilliant.
Speaker 1: So and where there's Bruce Lae, as far as the history goes that it is his posts or pre Bruce Lae.
Speaker 3: So no, this was I think this was seventy six, But basically the beginning of the seventies, Jimmy wang Yu was kind of the top dog, and then he had that breakup of Shore A Taiwan and then yeah, and he and he basically left the sort of major studio and I think he kind of opened the doors though for those kinds of films, Like Bruce Lee was definitely making films around that time, and it only really came to like international fame with Enter the Dragon.
Speaker 2: Jimmie wang Yu.
Speaker 3: Also did a great osploitation film called The Man from Hong Kong, which is Brian Trenchard Smith's first direction, I think, and it's got George Lazenby in it and an opening scene filmed at Uler Rule, which I think would be illegal now and probably was illegal then.
Speaker 1: You can't decapitate anyone, I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure. Well, I'm I'm gonna check out The Masters of Flying Guillotine on YouTube or wherever I can find it. That sounds like a lot of fun. The last data about helps Jack Nicholson. There are they marines who will just come back or they got they off judy or something is that they're in.
Speaker 3: They're in the navy. I think they hate they hate marines. There's a fight scene with with some marines in a public toilet. What happens is Badusky, who's Jack Nicholson and Mule Hall. I think ortis Young. They're given a detail which is a very new sailor Navy guy who is a kleptomaniac who's played by Randy Quaid, has stolen a collection tin but it's the I don't know, it's the commander's wife's charity or something. And so they sentenced him to eight years in jail and Jack Nicholson and Ortice Young have to transport him across the country to the jail where he's going to spend eight years. And he's completely green, he's klept a maniac. He's like very very young, and quite early on, Nicholson says, we've got a week to take him, and we've hope and it'll take us like a couple of days, so why don't we show him a good time. We've like he's never been laid, I needs to never like a drunk, and he's never done anything, and he's going to be in jail for eight years. And Jack Nicholson's worried that he's going to get victimized and bullied in jail, so he's like, we're going to toughen him up and we're going to take him and we're going to basically show him the sights. And my dad showed me this film, and I think it's probably got some of the best swearing I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's got.
Speaker 3: At the time it was released, it had the record for the most number of fuck words in a film, which I think has since been surpassed. But there's there's I think there's a good seven or eight swear words on the poster, which gives you an idea. It gives you an idea of just how foul mouthed it is. But it's this brilliant, sort of nineteen seventies style, kind of realist, sort of quite bleak kind of view of the state of America and the state of military and the state of bureaucracy sort of.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: But by dusky and middle hollow, they're annoyed by the task. At first, they're like, why are we doing this? And then they kind of realize maybe we can have some fun because they're they're off the base for a week as well, so they can kind of as long as they take him to the prison within the week, they can kind of do what they want.
Speaker 1: So there seems to be a thing speak about with Alex Aidelman about he raised it the idea that most American films they strive to say something about America. Yeah, I'm not sure of Austray and films across the boat. There's certainly some that do that. Waiting for it is you know an example that springs to mind. But the movies made you know from Wales or even that the UK. How do you feel like that's something that they like? There's a certainly there are some, definitely there are some. But do you feel like that happens a lot, you know in films out of the UK where they're trying to say something about the UK? Like I feel like almost every film in America has to say something about America.
Speaker 3: I guess this was kind of like nineteen seventies kind of new Hollywood. There's sort of end of or maybe not the end of the American dream, but a more kind of critical look at the American dream and how you know, the problems in Vietnam and kind of you know, inequality in racism and structural problems. I think America is probably a very very self obsessed place. Yeah, it's very inward looking. Yes, So a lot of American films are about America. I mean there aren't. I'm trying to think about that. You know, the trends in British cinema.
Speaker 1: I feel like This is England is probably saying something about England. But across the board, I'm not sure if Richard Curtis is necessarily he's trying to.
Speaker 3: Say so I'm saying that there are no black people in That's what Richard Curtis is saying.
Speaker 1: There was one in Love. Actually, I'm pretty sure. Mustang. I'm relieved that I've seen one of these films and it is a cracking film. It was one of these films I one of those delightful cinematic experiences I had where I just went and sat without knowing much about that all. So it's it's largely, uh, it is concerned with the arranged marriages, and it's it's quite brilliant.
Speaker 3: I watched this, I'm pretty sure I watched it on SBS and and I were just kind of flicking through the channels and like, oh, you know.
Speaker 2: Let's let's watch a film. And I was just kind of it's so out of my sphere of experience, you know, and.
Speaker 1: Very different than the flying.
Speaker 3: I thought I would give a mix of genres and decapitations.
Speaker 2: This film features no decapitations. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I've been to Turkey and I I guess you go to Turkey as a tourist or whatever and just have a holiday, and this film is kind of about it's just kind of a critique I guess of conservatism within Turkey.
Speaker 2: And you have.
Speaker 3: Five sisters who work off and and are kind of looked after, and they get caught basically frolicking, for one of a better word, or messing about on a beach with some boys.
Speaker 1: Doing something that if it is happened in Australia or in England not would be made. Yeah, they've just been completely normal teenagers.
Speaker 3: And their guardians, who are sort of ultra conservative, then confine them to house arrest and basically say you're all getting married, We're going to sort of sort this out. And it's just a great film about their spirit and about how they aren't happy.
Speaker 2: Being contained in this house.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I've been watching a lot recently where you have like child actors or whatever who are just incredible and they all all the girls, and this is just like wonderful and I don't know, it took me to a different place and I really I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: It's what I love about foreign cinema. Though I mean I can I can certainly be swept away by English you know, speaking movies, but I feel like I get swept away more so in foreign language films because I'm usually experienced with a culture. Yeah that I you know, I think about if ever, so to see a representation of Turkish life, but also that idea of arranged marriages, and for my understanding, because I think we have a very Western view of arranged marriage marriages as far as like they're evil and they how can they do it? But I think from my memory, Mustang you know, gave a real you know, there was it gave an even reasonably even handed view of what it could be or what potentially it does look like. And also because it obviously works with some people. It doesn't work for others. I mean, they have a pretty successful I think they have a lower divorce rate than in western countries. Now that maybe because people are too afraid of quite possibly, but you know, you do hear of these arranged marriages that work very well. Now in Mustang, you do you feel for the girls because they are you know, they're almost you feel like they're prisoners to a degree, and they're bursting, you know, and right now watching it, I imagine you watch it now, the back of your mind might be what is going on in Afghanistan with you know, the Taliban. Without giving too heavy and we will talk about the Princess bride very soon, but I imagine that that like to see the part that that part of the world and the ship they have to deal with that that we don't even think of. Is it's sobering, but it Mustang does it in the way that's still entertaining.
Speaker 3: It's very funny. Yeah, I mean they're they're their ultimate goal is to go and watch a football march. Yeah, and there their attempts to get to this march is really good.
Speaker 1: And I think that's what is it's fun about it. It's like you recognize these teenagers kind of immediately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're universal, absolutely.
Speaker 1: They just want to do the things that we take for granted. But yeah, you're right, it's it's a really fun film and a beautiful film. Actually, I think it's great. Okay, let's get stuck into it. The Princess Bride nineteen eighty seven, Rob Rainer, written by William Goldman based on his own book, and lastly, straight out Lloyd Langford, did you enjoy it very much? So that's a relief not only for me but for our for our listeners, because it is. It is a beloved film, and I'm really I'm really glad. What was your take us through your initial thoughts?
Speaker 3: I was confused a bit by Columbo.
Speaker 2: I knew that.
Speaker 3: I knew that it was this incredible sort of fantasy film. Then when there's this the.
Speaker 1: First thing you sees his computer game and it's.
Speaker 3: This annoying little kid in the bed. It's like, what's going on here? And then when it got into it, I was like, oh good, all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so I will ask before we get into the film, like what was taking a sick day like in the Langford house, because that wouldn't have passed the Smith test. In our house, he was not sick enough, and I want to be playing computer games in my bed No.
Speaker 3: I mean the amount of toys in his bedrooms. He's probably ill from inhaling all of the plastic things. We I if you were sick at my in my family, like you stayed home from school, you sat on the saw for all the eating a buttery toast and watching daytime television, and then after that you were like, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I can go back to school now.
Speaker 1: We used to watch basically we watched the Midday Show with Ray Martin and then Days of Our Lives and we would that would be maybe be the Phil Donahue and basically the same experience.
Speaker 2: So you could watch Neighbors twice.
Speaker 3: Actually ah there'd be a lunchtime showing of Neighbors and then there would be like a five point thirty showing, like a repeat for closer textual analysis. So if you were sick of school, you could do you could do the double. You could watch the Neighbors twice.
Speaker 1: You see todd Land has been hit by that high as twice. That is that is incredible. We used to drink a lot of flat lemonade. I remember that was supposedly that was I don't know it was good for an upset tummy.
Speaker 2: I don't know we did it anyway, you know, just because I grew up poor.
Speaker 1: So let's have a quick listen to the beginning, with the setting up of the grandfather reading to his grandson.
Speaker 2: I brought you a special present. What is it?
Speaker 1: Open it up?
Speaker 4: Oh bo, that's right. When I was your age, television was called books, and this is a special book. It was the book my father used to read to me when I was sick, and I used to read it to your father. And today I'm going to read it to you.
Speaker 2: Sports and it are you kidding?
Speaker 4: Finishing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles.
Speaker 2: Doesn't sound too bad.
Speaker 1: I'll try and stay a week.
Speaker 6: Oh well, thank you very much, very nice.
Speaker 4: Your voted confidence is overwhelming.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: The Prince's Bride.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a storytelling device. It's it's quite brilliant, and it's it's susceptibly brilliant. I think I feel like it's one of the When I watched it last night, I was like, yeah, I've seen this many times before, but I'm not sure if I have. I've seen voiceovers and people reflect, but it's a good opportunity for them to throw some gags in yep, to you know, fasten the action a bit, just give ahead.
Speaker 2: Put some white powder in Peter Fox's hair.
Speaker 1: He was he wasn't. I mean the mastage was also. I mean I he grew that mustache, certainly not in that close up at the end it looked a bit glued on. You can almost see the glue throughout it. Where were you a Wonder Years fan? No?
Speaker 2: I don't know the Wonder Years at all? Is that worth?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 1: I'm having a Goonies moment right now.
Speaker 2: Is that where the kid is from? Yes?
Speaker 1: So, Fred Savage, Wonder Years is huge in Australia, but then it's kind of forgotten about. And Wonder Years was huge. It basically was Kevin Arnold played by Fred Savage, his best friend Paul Feiffer, and Whennie Cooper was a girl in their neighborhood and he had a bit of a crush on her, and it was Yeah, it was brilliant. It was just about based in the seventies, sixties or seventies, and it was just him navigating life and puberty and it was really like beautify written and the joke was with Little Helpful my friends. That was the theme song. Great.
Speaker 3: So I last night watching The Princess Bride. I watched it with Anna Edmunds, my partner, who'd never seen The Princess Bridy either.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: So we're both watching it for the first time and within the first two minutes she's like, that's Fred Savage from The Wonder Years, and I'm like, I do not understand what you're talking about. Also, let me watch this film.
Speaker 2: Because if you shout out every time you recognize someone, this film is going to take a lot a long time.
Speaker 1: Well, The Wonder Is for anyone who hasn't seen the one, it is really worth checking out. There's particular episodes. There's a great episode where they're going to a party and they've got like either six bees or it might be three bees or four beers or bottles of bees, because they've got to bring these beers to the party. And it's shot over like the night and they're trying to get through this party and they keep breaking bottles and it's just like the closer they get to they like another bottle of breaks and they end up with one bottle or maybe don't have any bottles. They got to rack up to the party and so we don't we don't have the beer. But it's it's just an episode that's always stuck in my mind. It's it's a it's a cracking, cracking one. But anyway, we wiped well on the Wonder Years. It's really efficient this this beginning though, Like we get into it, into it, and you've got Robin Wright, who on a film debut, is stunning as he is Carrie Elwis, and I got to say, did you know Carrie Elvis?
Speaker 2: I knew him from Robin Hood men In takes.
Speaker 1: Yes yes, which he makes after after this is mel Brooks. He's he's stunning.
Speaker 3: Classically good looking, sort of Douglas Fairbanks, Aero Flynn. Yeah, he's he's more attractive than Robin Wright. His eyes are very piercingly blue.
Speaker 1: Well they she talks about his eyes. I don't know about something about the storm.
Speaker 4: Or something one perfect.
Speaker 5: I like this after.
Speaker 1: Stam's reference to a painting. Apparently, I'm surprised that Carrie elwas. I had to like basically fight, like look, watch a few videos to find out how to say his name. I didn't. He doesn't live in the zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: I always thought it was euss in a plural of sheep.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, if I hadn't looked it up, I would have said carry yours, and I would have had the deal with feedback and hate mail. When somebody's in, somebody is a leading man who does a great job in a movie that's much loved, we expect them to go on and become superstars. But he doesn't. He just what he does. He goes on becomes just like a working actor, which is there's and there's nothing wrong with that at all. Like he has constantly been in work. He was in Liar, Liar, Jim Carrey was the dad, and he's unsigned, failed, He's Kissed the Girls and various films. But I'm surprised and Robin Wright has gone on to become Robin Wright, Jenny and Forrest Gump and obviously house had more recently. But yeah, Kerrie always is really good in this, and I'm a surprise he's not more of a household name.
Speaker 3: He plays a similar kind of role in robin Hood Prince of Thieves, right, Yes, yes, that's not Prince of thieves.
Speaker 1: No many so Kevin COSTAVERSI.
Speaker 3: He's he's very stylized and his performance could be from like a nineteen thirties kind of swashbuckler. Yeah, and obviously that's intentional, yes, but maybe he was type cast as this kind of over the top sort of dashing hero.
Speaker 1: Maybe he tried to get swashed backing in all of his roles, just it didn't work for Ulverstone. We're trying to make Fortoon. Sorry, Kerry, we're dropping you. We're bringing Charlie Sheen in. So. Yeah, the chemistry between Robin Wright and Kerry, you'll is there for everybody to say it works. You know, I'm not sure what's the situation with Robin right, butter Cup? Is it her farm? She's on a farm?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do we just not see her parents?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure how. I'm not sure if he's a properly employed there is he being p the minimum wage?
Speaker 1: I suspect so, because it's it's interesting how we do love Robin right pretty quickly or butter Cup even though she's being horrible like making him make him do these when she asked.
Speaker 3: Him to fetch that jug that's from right next to it, next yes, yeah, come on, butter Cup, pull your finger.
Speaker 1: You can do better than that, butter Cup. So we were here. A favorite character we meet, obviously, we meet the three bandits, Vazini, who played by Willa Sean. Zini's apparently Sicily, and he didn't exactly go.
Speaker 2: I actually read that he was.
Speaker 3: He was constantly nervous the actor about being fired from the role, and partly because he wasn't Sicilian.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, and I think he had Danny DeVito had been offered a role or something like that. So he was constantly.
Speaker 3: He's he's brilliant. And it pains me to say this. As much as I love Andre the Giant, he is fucking rubbish in this.
Speaker 2: Film, Like he cannot act at all.
Speaker 1: No, it's there were times when I was watching this and I was just like, oh, Andre, you're doing your best. And I think he did. I think he did his best. Lloyd and he's great.
Speaker 3: I mean he is great, and I do love him very much, and I think he's you know, I wouldn't put any anyone else in the role. But I after watching the film, I was reading up on it last night, and apparently.
Speaker 2: There's a scene where he was so.
Speaker 3: Bad at delivering his lines that Mandy Patinkin slapped him across the face in order to get a bit more urgency into his delivery.
Speaker 1: Faster A thought, I was going faster.
Speaker 4: You We're supposed to be.
Speaker 1: This class, you were this great legendary thing, and yet he gained.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm carrying two people, and.
Speaker 1: I do not accept excuse.
Speaker 5: I just pretty have to find myself a new giant, that's all.
Speaker 3: Don't say that, please, I mean, I must be one of the slowest talking people in show business. And I sund like i'mon cocaine compared to all of the giants. Maybe, and he's so big that maybe the blood takes longer to pup around his body, so his reflexes at his reaction time to other people's lines, you could park a bus in between some of the gaps.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 1: He was in a lot of pain during the making of this film. He has chronic back pain, which is due to his size. And you know, probably wrestling he's probably a good thing to do, if you if you if that's the case, But there were times when when they had that fight that that he was basically Wesley Kerry elwas was on a table basically like behind and he's a stunt double where they could he was in quite a bit of pain, even when at the end where she jumps but a cup jumps down and he catches her. She was on a wire and they had him leaning against a wall, which the obviously took out in posts. But he was in a bit of pain. So maybe the maybe the painkillers played a part in his delivery. Maybe he's never got another chance again. Maybe he could have been an awesome wells.
Speaker 2: I think he.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't want to do him too much of a disservice as well, because I think he had a quite a tougha. Yes, I've watched documentaries among him and you know, so I say, I say that he was bad in this with all of those covees.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, I'm kind of relieved that he did say it, because I didn't want to say I'll get the hit meal because he like, there are some lines that you could not I could not.
Speaker 3: Understand that we had the subtitles on from the start, just I think because we've been watching something else and they were useful for his lanes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because even I kin'd had to rewind the bit where the boat goes off, and only when I kind of re want to watch it the second time I realized what was happening with the rhyming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, kept in the sentences yet to wind up vasini.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a great gift.
Speaker 5: Yes, not for that.
Speaker 1: Are they're actually ahead?
Speaker 2: If they are, there no more rhymes. Now I'm mid it anybody, Yeah.
Speaker 1: A giant? I did, I did, Yeah, I did watch it go. Oh, he's doing his best.
Speaker 2: Apparently.
Speaker 3: There was one point during filming where he let out a fifteen second continuous fart, So a fifteen second long loud fart in the middle of a scene that ruined the tea completely obviously, like if you think like one two like, it's a long fart. And Rob Reiner said to him, Audrey, are you okay? And he said, I am no, Boss.
Speaker 1: If you're interested, Andre, the Giant's fart would have just finished now. He wasn't always he was. Initially he couldn't do it because he's wrestling commitments and.
Speaker 2: They wanted Swartz.
Speaker 1: They wanted Schwartz, Yeah, and Lane Mason also auditioned, but then they Ruber and Wild laugh when he heard that he's only six foot four that was not tall enough. So yeah, I mean it works only because like he is basically like a BFG.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's his character is slow witted.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, and because you know it's it's real, like there's no Hagrid tricks going on here.
Speaker 3: There's a great bit early on when they capture the princess and he puts his hand around her neck.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, And.
Speaker 3: You see the actual size of the man, like he's absolutely huge. Apparently Robin Wright would get cold during the filming and he would just put his hand on top of her head and his hand is so big that it would warm her head up.
Speaker 2: Covered the totality of the top of her head.
Speaker 1: You can't do. I did that with Carrie big Moore Projects some nights, and just like I've been told, there are there are shots where you do the c's hands and you realize they are, like he's a giant man. Yeah, quite obviously he was not shining when people know there. We have the sword fight the Cliffs of Sander. That was one of the first scenes where I thought, this is my first favorite scene of the of the movie where it's like this is this is fun, this is well.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed the screaming eels.
Speaker 3: Screamings the great name for a band.
Speaker 2: Actually, do you know what that sound is? Highness?
Speaker 1: Those are the shrinking eels. If you don't believe me, just wait. They always grow louder when they're about to feed on human grass in the In the book, apparently there's no screaming eels. They're just sharks. And the Zini lets her know they're sharks. She's just jumped in shaking first waters and he throws a cup of his own blood, I think, into the water to attract the sharks and it gets out. But screaming eels, I think way more fun. The puppetry was very good. Like I'm sure there are people who might watch it in twenty twenty one and kind of rag on it a bit, but I thought it all worked, even the rodents size, which apparently were little people in those costumes. They don't look real, but they work.
Speaker 2: No, they are. Yeah. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I think William Goldman was unhappy with the effects, but I always prefer practical effects in the film than obviously they wouldn't have been able to use any CGI in eighty seven or whatever.
Speaker 2: But no, it feels. It feels like the threat is there, the eel is there screaming.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, and the sound design it works for all those animals. I think it's I think it's actually rob Brainer does the does the yeah yeah. But also the sword fight, I think it's a really well staged sword fight. Like they one of the guys who basically choreographed Star Wars. Yeah, choreograph this fight. They worked really hard on any any spare time they had, they would be doing this like that. They use no stunt doubles.
Speaker 2: They are fight.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize the moves that they're talking about, you know, when he says, oh, you can use this defense or this whatever those are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're using Bonetti's defense against me. App I thought of fitting considering the rocky terrain.
Speaker 1: Naturally, you must suspect me to attack the Naturally. I find that tiple cancels are cap don't you.
Speaker 6: Unless the enemy has a study he's a good far.
Speaker 2: Which I have.
Speaker 3: So it's impressively because they're not. There's a bit later on, like when he's Wesley is chalking the giant and you can tell that it's not under the giant's someone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But the two of them are doing all of the fencing. Yeah, and it's impressive. Yeah, it's very it's good. Apparently Rob Rainer that when they first showed him the choreograph scene, it was a minute long, and he said, no, it needs to be three minutes long. Yeah, So it's impressive that they're doing the fencing and they're doing the ship talking. Yeah, you know, and they're doing the referencing the fence in terms, and it's kind of posts more than like they're they're having, you know, a verbal duel and a physical duel.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's good and yeah, and it's we've already got the context that they there's a respect for each other, yeah, almost immediately, so they're finding you know, and you know, I think we probably know that this is going to end in the draw, or at least not not bloodshed or death. So it works, it works really well. Is in Ego Montoya the best character in the in the film? Is it his film?
Speaker 3: I should think you're you're very, very glad to see him again, Yeah, because he he did. After the fencing, he disappears, and you and you're and obviously after the fight with Andree he disappears as well, and there's a whole of a chunk of film that happens.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, he's he's the heart of the film.
Speaker 1: I think I completely agree.
Speaker 3: His his vengeance for his father and it's kind of this. I don't know if she'd like me saying this, but and thought that. You know, the bit where Wesley is stuck on the cliff and they're having the conversation about whether he's going to help him out but whether he's going to kill him and all that, I think I was like, what's going Like, what's happening here? But I very much enjoyed that. Yeah, there's bits in the film like that where there's like too much explanation going on that are really funny, where they just draw stuff out and you're like, he could just kill him, but he's like helping him up to the cliff and then he's in, he's it's down and he says, I'll give you like i'll give you five minutes and I cut your breath and stuff, and you know it's really it's not obvious. There's a lot that the film does that isn't the natural thing that you would do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I suspect, like there's a funny thing going on where I wonder if that is actually in the book, Like at some point, are we like veering off and the movie is actually becoming a movie as opposed to being a book, Like if we were to read the Prince's Bribe, did that scene that actually kind of happen or do we kind of like drift off into something else at some point and becomes its own thing. I kind of felt that was part of it for me. I might be wrong. I don't know. Yeah, I just think any of montoya is is so much fun that let's have a listen. This is gipping a little bit ahead. But one of his famous.
Speaker 2: Scenes, you've killed my father. My name is Mtya. You killed my father. Prepared to die.
Speaker 4: Stop saying that.
Speaker 6: My name is you killed my name, prepared to die. Offer me money, yes, power to promise me that all that I haven't more?
Speaker 2: Please offer me everything I asked for. Anything you want.
Speaker 4: I want my father.
Speaker 1: Were you as prepared for that to be that emotional?
Speaker 3: I was not prepared for it to be as violent. I mean they they get stabbed apatedly. And I don't know what I was watching the film, and there's obviously multi plays the film, but like, is this a kid's film, like or.
Speaker 1: Even The Son of a Bitch? Yeah, only seven in a kid's film? Is you know? Edgy?
Speaker 3: The torture scenes, and there's certainly the blood like when Inigo Montoya gets he froze the knife and the dargon kind of gets him in the gar I was.
Speaker 2: Like, what what's happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I was like the little sick kid in the bed, like grabbing Peter Fawkes Arbor saying you're reading the book wrong.
Speaker 1: Having a miss because Star Wars famously has no blood, right, And you can imagine there might have been a conversation at some point, are we going to have blood in this film? Like I imagine that would there would have been a consideration because it would have potentially affected ratings.
Speaker 3: He gets savaged as well. Wesley gets savaged by a roardent of unusual SI.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a little bit revenant about it, isn't it.
Speaker 3: He gets a big old bite on the arm and then I think he gets his shoulder, he gets his shoulder burned.
Speaker 1: Right, it's it's you're right, it's actually quite it's quite a violent scene that one. If I'd have watched that you know if I was eight or nine, yeah, I think it would have terrified me.
Speaker 2: It's frightening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I was really, I was really, I really felt for in Ego and in Ago Montoya. I always feel like I gotta say his whole name. I was surprised at how emotional I felt with that scene and apparently Mandy but tinking when he kind of stabs Christopher Guest, he imagined that he was stabbing cancer because his father had passed away with cancer. So that's how he kind of imagined he was taking revenge on cancer.
Speaker 3: It's I think it's one of the one of the beauties of the film as well. It sets up the fuck that you know, Wesley and Buttercup a separated and need to get back together. Yeah, but that it's a fairy tale and that's going to happen, Yes, But it's also sets up any Montoya's revenge very early on at the top of the ledge of mental unwellness. And so that's the that's the one way you're like, right, yeah, and then when you when you spot the devious Christopher Guest and his tailor made glove, You're like, this fuck is going down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's is this a funny like, well, I won't say funny, like a slightly strange role for Christopher Guests. Obviously he knows brand and this is spinal tap years earlier, but it's not. I was waiting for their character be funnier and it's fine, and it's not, but it just this. I rarely have seen Christopher Guests in kind of straight role, so I was expecting. The closest I got to a laugh was when he ran away in the Cause, which I thought was funny.
Speaker 3: I actually didn't recognize him really at all until you know, there's so many sort of famous commules or whatever in the film, and he doesn't.
Speaker 2: Really do much for the first half of the film.
Speaker 3: Christopher Gas character, he's just there, is he sort of agreeing with the king.
Speaker 2: He's very good.
Speaker 1: He's very good, very good. Yeah, he's just not funny at all besides that running away like because he's got the torture machine and you know the machine which apparently was built for James Bond film Never Say Never Again, and they didn't they didn't use it, so they readapted it. And I really liked the machine because it's kind of like we used to seeing you know the torture scenes in movies where there's electrodes used and all that, but just seeing what this would look like if it was based on like water and mechanics and the and the settings I thought were really funny for some reason.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you know the actor, but the.
Speaker 1: Mel Smith Yeah, yeah, a big Mel Smith fan. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he he's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when he his his his kind.
Speaker 3: Of entrance and the joke where he talks with a kind of egoish voice and then clears his throat, where.
Speaker 5: Am I the bit of the spot from think don't even think about trying to escape.
Speaker 2: It's very good and.
Speaker 1: It's a great example of not having a whole lot to do but making every second count. Yeah, he's he's fantastic. Apparently he had more contacts for the role because he was an albino, but had like an allergic reaction or some kind of a reaction to it, so that it was really quite painful and uncomfortable for it. But he kind of sold it on and got through it, and as a result has never ever watched the film because he just it brings back painful memories for him, which he seems to be the one, the only which I can understand because he's had that experience. But the cast seems to all still love this film. Sometimes you have actors who will be part of a massive film that some might say define them and they kind of have a bit of a pushback against in later years. They've all we had many Patinkin on the project, you know, a couple of years ago, and he's very happy to talk about the Princess Bride still and apparently two or three times a day somebody will yell out and he like it would annoy most people. He loves it, absolutely loves it.
Speaker 3: I think maybe because the film as well kind of has achieved success I wouldside of the original kind of theatrical run. Yeah, so the people that know about it have kind of sorted out.
Speaker 2: I guess, yes.
Speaker 1: It becomes like a people's champion movie. People discovered this, you know, it didn't do particularly well. It opened on the same weekend as Fatal Attraction, which was an instant, huge hit, very different kind of movie, and but it tested really well, like tested better than any film in nine to eighty seven outside of Back to the Future. So William Goldman was really upset. Is it paramount that they didn't make it work, and he just thought they didn't quite know how to market it as a film. I think I remember maybe I didn't see it in cinets when I first came out. Maybe I was even put off by the title. I thought it was maybe you know, yeah, I can't say these age but then you know it was for it was a it's a fantasy film for girls. You know. I didn't obviously I didn't see the trailer. I didn't know the giant was in there. But I just I just thought that it was you know, it was aimed not at me. You said something really interesting about the idea that you know that but a Cup and Wesley going to end up together. But they do do a really good job of making you think that's not going to happen. Like literally, you think where.
Speaker 2: They kills, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: You know, when like when they first he's dead, you think, okay, he's dead. He's I think it's probably there's maybe a chance is not dead. You know, the communication wasn't as reliable back then. Wherever this is set, who knows when it's set. There is a reference to Australia, so we assume it's it's post seventeen eighty eight. When they find him on the machine and he's dead, you're gonna think, Okay, this is interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's happening now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I this may very well be heretical, but I wasn't that big a fun of mystical Fred.
Speaker 1: Or whoever it was, who Miracle, Max.
Speaker 2: Miracle, Marx.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. You see. Apparently Manny p Thinking popped the rib because he was laughing so much and he's trying to hold it in. Rob Ryiner had to leave set because he was laughing so much. I wonder if it's because we can see it's Billy Crystal just doing Billy Crystal stick.
Speaker 3: Within the last year, Anne and I watched When Harry met Sally. Yep, I'd never seen it. I think maybe she'd seen it before. And it's the same director, Rob Rainer.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he makes this I'll talk about I'll just mention it que quickly. Now. Rob Rainer goes on one of the all time great film runs as far as comedy goes. These are the films he makes over the decade. In eighty four he makes this his final tap. It makes a great little film called The Short Thing in eighty five, if John Cusack stand by Me in eighty six, The Princess Bride in eighty seven, When Harry met Sally in eighty nine, Misery in ninety, a Few Good Men in ninety two, makes an ambition film called North of Bruce Willis in ninety four, doesn't quite work, and then makes quite an underrated film. We love it in Our House at the American President with Michael Douglas and Anette Benning, which is almost a weird for run at the West Wing because you've got Martin Sane as the vice president to the Michael Douglas. So it's one of your time great runs as far as the director's Billy a miss on there that you were when Harry met Sally. We did with Melissa Long for mass Chef on this podcast, What did you think?
Speaker 2: I really did not like it?
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I found Billy Crystal an annoying ball end.
Speaker 3: It feels, I don't know if it hasn't aged well, but like he's kind of a douchebag to Sally throughout the entirety of the film, And there are very what felt like to me long bits where Billy Crystal had clearly had some kind of standard material about a topic. Yeah, and they're sort of crowbard into the character. So he's got an opinion on everything, but he's also got like fifteen jokes.
Speaker 2: About that thing. Yeah, I just.
Speaker 3: Didn't I didn't get on with it. And this was fighting with Miracle Marx. You know, it's Carol Keene and like it was. It's a bit of fun. But yeah, I cured how much everyone had loved it. And maybe I just I think I'm just realizing I just don't like Billy Crystal.
Speaker 1: I like Billy Crystal, but I'm also aware that he's got his things and that's what he does. There are times, maybe on my mood, where I'm like, maybe it hasn't aged well, not for any when Harry met Sally's in his stream one as far as the way we look at men and women and gender and all of that. I do think though, to defend when Harry met Sally, as far as Billy Crystal's Harry's kind of behavior towards Sally, I think you know they are. I think they're both kind of you know, he is more annoying than her to beginning. She's she's a bit proper and you know hyphen Luton. I mean he's spitting grape seeds into the window. I mean it's average behavior. But what I liked about it is I think you do see that character evolved, particularly when they both when I come back again, they're both out of their marriages, they marrial relationships at least, and they're leaning on each other as opposed to kind of being at war. And I think that's where the movie kind of picks up pace and actually becomes quite enjoyable. But if you don't like Billy Crystal, there's no way of enjoying when Harry mets away.
Speaker 2: No I don't. I'll need to investigate further.
Speaker 1: You don't have to.
Speaker 2: I definitely won't.
Speaker 1: The only other one you might go if you want to give Billy Crystal one last year City Slickers, yeah as a kid, right, and Missus Saturday Night possibly, But listen, I'm not here because I thought Miracle Max is fine. But I just didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't enjoy the floppiness of Westley.
Speaker 1: He didn't well.
Speaker 3: I was kind of like, ah, the gangs all back together, you know, the Giant and Inigo and Wesley, like, let's star on the castle and kick some ass and the fact that Wesley is kind of just a big lump of ham I mean, I think.
Speaker 2: Carry always does it well, like it's fine.
Speaker 1: Really well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I was like, I get you know, because you're wait. I was waiting for him to fully regain his.
Speaker 1: But isn't it that that doesn't he fine the strength to stand when when Hamper Dick played by Chris Sarandon, who we spoke about when the Dog Day Afternoon, he finds his strength to stand and take him on and he's sword at him in the same way that in Ega Montoya finds his strength when he needs it to take on Count Rougen.
Speaker 3: Now he only finds the strength to stund after the king's been tied up.
Speaker 1: No, it's before then, the day before, it's before, is it. I'm sure Derek he stands up, but he's faking it so he's unable to sword fight, but he's stands Yeah, that's what I like about He stands up. He stands up, and even though even though like he basically that's all he can do, he still manages the king surrenders and that's what I liked about that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and he talks about fighting to the the pend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, is that right. There's there's a weird there's a weird moment they have when Robin Wright jumps on the bed and starts kissing him and all that, and he kind of he makes it almost like I'm not sure what he says. He says something, but it's on was really playful, and it's almost like it almost felt like a contemporary kind of boyfriend girlfriend style, like this is a silly thing. I'm just going to say, like leads into her head.
Speaker 2: And I think they were sort of getting it on rate the actors.
Speaker 1: Yes, they were. Yeah, I believe they were. I read that they were smitten with each other and that he found Robin Wright's beauty kind of distracting, so you can probably.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have no evidence for this, but they were definitely fucking.
Speaker 1: The Daily Mail. There we go. There was Lloyd language.
Speaker 2: She jumps on that.
Speaker 3: That's quite funny when she sort of jumps on top of him and she's like why aren't you?
Speaker 2: Why aren't you And he's like I can't move.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that's my way. Maybe he does that cutely. Whatever he says, he does something. Maybe that's one thing you can do. You can kind of like at least say something, and because he can't move his hands and legs at that point, and who knows what else. Peter Cook makes a great talk at cameos. The hilarious Peter Cook plays the priest.
Speaker 6: I have listen, marriage is what wins us together to day marriage, that wessing arrangement, that dream within.
Speaker 1: Ugly Yeah, I mean, I'm not sure if anyone's doing that these days, to be absolutely honest, it's got a little bit of a release watering about it. Yeah, but yeah, Peter Cook doing some some nice work. Carol Caine, he's also in. She was in the last detail is.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's at the Buddhist party.
Speaker 2: They go to, right. I think it's her first role or early role anyway, in.
Speaker 1: My master I would assume did you know Mark Knopfler was He did the score.
Speaker 2: I knew at the end obviously at the credits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and he Roberina asked him and he said, I'll do it. But he had one condition, and it's a weird condition. He said, I want the hat that you wore in this is spinal tap to be in a scene somewhere. It's a weird, weird condition. So in the bedroom at the start, you'll see the hat that rob Berina wore in spinal Taps hanging in a Kevin Arnold's bedroom, Fred Savage's bedroom. Also, he asked Paul McCartney to write two songs, right, Robert obviously on a hot streak. Paul McCartney writes two songs. Robertina says, I don't, don't they're not good enough. No thanks, Oh, that's that's confidence rejecting a beatle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm hoping it was after the frog chorus he did the Raudents of Unusual Size chorus.
Speaker 1: It is that, I mean that takes I've always wondered sometimes when I've heard people. I've gone to people and say, can you write this for the movie or whatever it might be? And what happens It does set up an awkward situation, but that I can't imagine a more awkward situation, and asking Paul facky McCartney to contribute to songs and but there's a track record that suggests that Paul McCartney's really good at writing songs, and then saying nah.
Speaker 3: Doesn't every known again you hear a story like this about Paul McCartney where he's been blatantly mugged off. Do you know the story that he told Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson, at the height of his fame, had all this money, and he said, what you really need to do is invested in song publishing so you can buy, you know, the rights to famous songs. Invested in those, and then every time the song wants to get played or use an advert or whatever, you get dividends and you don't have to do anything. It's like investment property. And Michael Jackson goes, oh, yeah, okay, cool. And then the rights for the Beatles songs came up and Michael Jackson outbid Paul McCartney. He gave him this advice and he was like, yeah, all right, and they just used it against him and bought all the rights of the Beatles songs.
Speaker 1: Paul McCartney's been trying to get on this podcast. I'm not ready for you, Paul, not ready. There's a different ending planned for this. It was supposed to be paid. The fork leaves and Fred Savage.
Speaker 3: Comes back and says, just one more thing, you're not it'll get out of bed, you little prick.
Speaker 1: Fred Savage looks at the window and there are four characters on their white horses out in the street. He's kind of riding off. It sounds like a really nice ending, but I do like and the reason Robarina went with the ending, he wanted to tie backs back to the idea of it being about a grandfather and his grandson and that connection that they had, because I guess the theme, one of the themes is that that love can't even triumph death, and that's why I guess Wesley dies twice, yet love prevails. And when the grandfather comes and like it's it's he's not really happy about that.
Speaker 2: And then I guess his cheeks he.
Speaker 1: Doesn't like, he's let's get over him. He's old. You've seen once every six weeks.
Speaker 2: He's confused of all the talk. Compoies in he let him pinch your cheeks.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so I think they think. I think they got the ending right. This there's always been talking being remade. Fans are against that. I don't see any reason why this needs to be remade. There's talking about there's William Goldman actually wrote notes or about a sequel called Buttercup's Baby, which has been this talk about. But William Gordman died in twenty eighteen, sadly. So yeah. The idea came because William Goldman had pneumonia as a child and his father, his grandfather read to him and that was and any wanted to right a story that his daughters could enjoy. And they said, he said, what do you want me to write about? Once said princess? Once said a bride, and the princess bride was born and it took years to get made. It was you know, I would have.
Speaker 3: Thought that the perfect sequel that they've sat up and fall picture is and it's and it's too late, no, but is to have.
Speaker 2: In Montaire as the dread Pirate Roberts. Oh, because Wesley says to him, he says, I don't know what I'm going to do now I've avenged the death of my father. I feel empty. And he says, have he sort of becoming.
Speaker 3: A pirate because he has to part on the you know, the the name of the dread Pirate Roberts.
Speaker 1: And but a CAP's baby, let's say there is one. He goes, he goes, hey, well he turns to the da so he actually becomes a genuine pirate.
Speaker 2: And put him on the straight and narrow.
Speaker 1: Yes, with obviously Wesley and and but a capaches bad a cap? Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: How old is Mandy Patinkin?
Speaker 1: No, he's Goby and seven the.
Speaker 2: Dead Pirate Roberts.
Speaker 1: I actually I was thinking you could do it, and I was still thinking about Young Many particular. He's so good and he's clearly the best in this, in this, in this, Let us know if you agree. He has any podcast at gmail dot com. Who is your favorite character in The Princess Bright? Is it? Is it? In Ego Montoya played by Many Petinkin. There was a fun story that Walidy told when he was on this podcast about Many petinking and his appearance on the project. But I won't retell. You can check it out there just quickly Willim Goldman. But as you don't know, one of the absolute legends of screen Hollywood screenwriting. I mentioned he wrote All the President's Men and Butch Cassidy and The Sun Dance Kid. He also wrote Misery, The Stepford Wives, The Original One, Marathon Man, Maverick Chaplin, Absolute Power. He did write Fierce Creatures, though, which is oh.
Speaker 2: That's the sort of late period John Cleese.
Speaker 1: Thing, The Fish called Wonder Sequel. Yeah, it's terrible as good as a fish called wonder was Fierce Creatures? Is that bad?
Speaker 2: I haven't. I haven't seen Fierce Creatures.
Speaker 1: They worry about that one.
Speaker 3: I'll I'll put that on the list of things to do. I've got to watch the entire output of Billy Chrystal.
Speaker 1: Just watch some Crystal at the Oscars. That's yeah, that's probably Billy Crystal at his best, perhaps, but anyway, I'm not going to bag Billy Crystal. I quite like him. In fact, I saw you play the five Thousand Sundays that It's Childhood. That was very good. Lloyd Langford, thank you so much for doing your homework. This podcast does come with homework, and I'm really stoked that you did it. And I mentioned this in New tr at the start, But congratulations on your Paramount Plus special Business with Pleasure. I watched it last week and it was bloody hilarious.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Did you enjoy doing it?
Speaker 2: I did enjoy doing it.
Speaker 3: Quite a funny poor script is that they Paramount Plus said to us we could get a free subscription to Paramount Plus because we've got a special on the channel, and and followed all the steps and then got charged ninety bucks.
Speaker 1: Are you sure? Are you sure? Because what happens because I I I got paramatplus gifted to me, but I do make you put your credit card detail in, So I think what happens is it kicks in the show. Are you sure you've been charged?
Speaker 2: She's had ninety dollars?
Speaker 1: Technical that sounds like you've been charged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it was.
Speaker 3: That was a show that we kind of just devised during the first lockdown and then I never imagined that we'd We just thought we would do it a few a few times or whatever, and then it became this big thing and we we did three nights at the Comedy Theater in Melbourne, which was just insane, and one of them was filmed that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was such such good fun.
Speaker 1: It's a really fun watch. So check it out on Paramapplus. You will need to pay for it obviously, great, so mate, thank you so much for watching this. It's a special day in Melbourne today. This will be going there obviously later on but we are officially out of lockdown. Still a few little restrictions, but we might go have a beer. Yes, well, thanks mate. That was Lloyd Langford. That was our final replay we're getting to the serious business. Season six has finally arrived in the unicorn that is Lucky Hume, the person people have been asking for the most. Find a film that Lucky Hume hasn't seen is in Encyclopedia of Film, and we found one Touch of Evil Awesome Wells nine point fifty eight, written directed by Aills and Wells, Ganetly Chelton Heston, playing in Mexican. We'll talk about that. And yeah, I cannot wait to get stuck into season six of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet with in the best way possible, Locky Hume. Touch of Evil can't wait until then. Life for now, and so we leave old Pete safe than Souf, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.