Speaker 1: Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Welcome to them Christian o'con show podcast.
Speaker 3: In my house at the moment this week, I was talking yesterday to a teenager who may or may not be one of my daughters. This teenager has been going through a.
Speaker 2: Breakup this week. Oh dear, Yeah, we've all been there, haven't we. We have.
Speaker 3: Everyone has been there, those teenage breakups, the ones and in your late teens, in your twenties.
Speaker 2: They stay with you even all these years later.
Speaker 3: I was sort of saying to this teenager who may or may not be a daughter in my house, as you say, it's.
Speaker 2: Not really irrelevant. It's just that teenager going through a breakup this week. I was just.
Speaker 3: Saying, I still remember you remember all those breakups, don't you.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable, even.
Speaker 3: Though you know Monday twenty fourth wedding anniversary. They're like little scars and they don't fully heal.
Speaker 2: Maybe they're not meant to.
Speaker 3: So today we're looking to sell up our jew box, the Broken Hearts jukebox, because one thing about being broken hearted is there's this strange It's that the joy you get a picking over a scab. You know, you know you shouldn't, you should just let it heal, let that heel over you. You pick at it and it starts bleeding, and there's a strange, weird joy in the slight pain, the melancholia.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's a certain amount of sadness that wells up in your body and you can only wash it out by diving into it. It'll get out for a long time. Or you can just dive in and play this song.
Speaker 3: That's quite right. Yeah, you got to head towards it. And sometimes there's a song that we would listen to over and over and over again on a loop, tormenting yourself, whether it was your song or it's just a song that somehow you have a meaning to for me. We go back to nineteen ninety three and a breakup and this song that I kept listening to over and over again by great Irish band called the Hot House Flowers.
Speaker 2: BASI why are you frowning?
Speaker 3: It'll be easier in the morning, They were singing to me and going, hey, hey.
Speaker 2: Christian, it's going to be easier in the morning, buddy.
Speaker 4: Irish country sounds a bit of a yet way Van Morrison, this is beautiful music.
Speaker 3: Let's go back to nineteen ninety three, and that pain borrowed me be you can imagine is this gonna easy?
Speaker 2: Days are going to come? Easy days are going to come. Do you just listen to this moment?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You want to take time?
Speaker 3: Oh beautiful Patsy, what's it for you? What was the song you listened to over and over again with a broken heart?
Speaker 6: Well, I was busted up by motorbike boy.
Speaker 2: Oh nineteen, and there's.
Speaker 7: Bits we're not allowed to talk. Don't think we'll ever get another full story.
Speaker 2: I don't want to.
Speaker 7: Patsy was one of those ladies at school that got involved with someone.
Speaker 2: A little bit older. Come on, who had a motorbike.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is my greatest fear, someone of that turning up one day and I will go full Liam Neeson and just run him over.
Speaker 6: Not just any motorbike, Like we're not talking a trail bike. We're talking a big, thumping like road bike.
Speaker 4: Okay, Ye, it wasn't like it was like a loped or one of these electric bikes.
Speaker 6: Anyway, it was very cool. But this was huge in the charts at the time. Wendy Matthews the day you went away.
Speaker 2: When you say he went away, was that back in the big House prison is that what you mean him?
Speaker 7: You know about those weird ladies get to correspondence to get married to someone who's the lifer, you know, like Ted Bundy had about eight wives.
Speaker 2: No, there's a very nice boy. But distance. This was at the time when was this eighteen forty one.
Speaker 6: It was massive in the charts, and I used to lament. I used to go into work room and it'd be playing, and I'd just sit at my share and I just couldn't start the day until the song had finished. Swallow in Mine.
Speaker 3: Yes, are you happy to tell us a story which is actually very recent for you?
Speaker 2: About the doctor?
Speaker 1: Yes, I can tell you about the doctor. It's a it's a recent word.
Speaker 2: Do you know about this the doctor.
Speaker 6: I have heard about the doctor, but I might not know this part about.
Speaker 2: The doctor for a while.
Speaker 1: Early last year, yeah, early last year, coming, yeah, sort of early twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: We'd come to work on a Monday, and we all knew he'd had a fun weekend with the doctor. And then suddenly there wasn't a bounce in a step one Monday, and we found out that the doctor.
Speaker 1: Doctor disappeared.
Speaker 2: You're no more going to be no more house course, very well, thank you.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this one hurts, not necessarily so much because of the heartache, because heartache goes away, right, but the embarrassment and the shame still sticks with me. So basically what happened was I fell in love. I hadn't been in a serious relationship for a long time, and I just kind of fell head over heels very.
Speaker 2: Early in the.
Speaker 1: Early goings of the relationship, so much so in fact, I would tell my friends, yeah, she's the one, like it's definitely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I presume she was.
Speaker 1: I actually found and I've got it in my hand now, a broach that I found on the ground of her name. I plan to give it. I know it's a bit weird looking back to give her something you found off the ground, but I thought.
Speaker 2: I was meant to get her name, and maybe it was at the time we're.
Speaker 1: Meant to be together. And then I actually poured my heart out of it on Instagram in a message tour and she was trying to line up another dinner.
Speaker 2: Young people do it now.
Speaker 1: I woke up on a Monday morning then to this message which is hard to read but probably funny for you guys.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, and I was feeding the pain of it's the okay, oh okay.
Speaker 1: I would have preferred to have this conversation in person, but I think I should preface our next hangout. I think you're such a fun and in brackets and funny guy, which is like on the head and genuine person. I really enjoyed hanging out with you. But three t's in the butts, I'm not sure if there's anything more than just friends there for me. Of course, if you're still keen to hang out, that's something i'd totally be up for.
Speaker 6: She doesn't deserve you. You know what I'm going to take care of that?
Speaker 2: Is she going to get that biker when he's next? Dono? She's not the one, She's not the one.
Speaker 1: But it's the embarrassment of being like you were way too in love and they were just like.
Speaker 2: The language and that three tees in the butt That what was the song?
Speaker 1: Sorry? So the song that got me through was one of the saddest breakup songs of all time.
Speaker 2: Dry your Eyes by the Strings.
Speaker 3: My God, I love this song. Dry your eyes, mate, This is a brilliant breakup song.
Speaker 1: Try your eyes.
Speaker 5: It's heart to say makeup.
Speaker 3: It's actually a genuinely heartbreaking tender song from Mike Skinner The Streets. There is a moment where your friends do need to actually there's a moment to be wallet wallowing, and then there's a moment when sometimes you need to be radically moved out of that. Isn't it when your friends do and friends actually have to say to you, Okay, now try your yes? And this song is right on the cusp of that. That's a brilliant one. All right, what is the song for you?
Speaker 8: Then?
Speaker 2: I saw a broken hearts jukebox? Who needs feel good tunes?
Speaker 7: Fridays about broken hearts?
Speaker 5: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: I know it's Friday, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: We're talking about heartbreak when you that heartbreate you have when you're a teenager in your twenties, and sometimes there's a strange joy listen to a a song that kind of torments you, but there's a kind of strange energy in listening to it on a loop over and over again. For Patsy, was this song by Wendy Matthews. A lot of you saying this was also your kind of breakup anthem on a loop.
Speaker 2: There's not a que for Rio when he was left in a heartbroken way by the doctor.
Speaker 5: Are you.
Speaker 2: Her beIN maker? Some wounds take a long time to heal. Men for me we go back to ninety three. BESI I know what I'm doing. When I'm done here today, I'll listen to this driving home. No, yeah, I am.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're sticking it up.
Speaker 2: Thatsy. Some great ones coming through, Christian.
Speaker 3: The Lonely Hearts breakup song for me Take a look at Me Now by Phil Collins.
Speaker 2: What a song.
Speaker 9: There's I mean, could Shakespeare have written a sonnet more beautiful?
Speaker 3: So take a look at me now. There's just an empty space and there's nothing left here to remind me, just a memory of your face.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Oh, take a look at me now where there's just an empty space and you coming back to me.
Speaker 2: It's against.
Speaker 7: Oh god, guys in the morning, take.
Speaker 2: Your work house house right now.
Speaker 7: All right, there's opened up the Lonely Hearts Club jukebox today. Mark, good morning, morning, Christian morning everyone, Markey boye.
Speaker 2: Okay, the Heartbreaks jukebox is open. What's the song for you? Mate?
Speaker 5: The song for me was Brick by Ben.
Speaker 2: I Love. What a beautifully heavy sound song this is.
Speaker 3: There's one I listened to a lot where my daughters were born both times Gracie and still fighting?
Speaker 2: What's that only nine? Hello, son, You're a bird or something like that.
Speaker 8: Oh it's beautiful, Mark, this is a brilliant one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look it was.
Speaker 1: It was on high rotation back in the late nineties at the time of the breakup, and I was the one who'd initiated the breakup, so I wasn't feeling the greatest.
Speaker 5: Realized that I was playing this song a lot, and the line She's a brick and I'm trawling slowly made me feel even worse about the situation.
Speaker 2: So I know, sometimes I listen to these songs at the time.
Speaker 7: Don't actually bring you any comfort today, there's comfort in the discomfort.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's actually what you need. Mark. That's a great one. Thank you very much for sharing that today.
Speaker 3: Mate, have a nice weekend, you too, say guys, Tests Tests, Hey, yeah, hello, Test.
Speaker 2: You sound like it's a recent breakup, are you okay?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: No, I'm thinking about the song.
Speaker 2: Take us there, then take us there? Well, my song was Whitney Houston all at once. Wow, what happened?
Speaker 1: I've got the news happening.
Speaker 2: Oh, so what happened? You were. When was this?
Speaker 4: I was in year eleven in all girls school and I thought I was really hipped because I had my therapist boyfriend.
Speaker 8: Went to school the next day.
Speaker 5: My friend told me that, oh no, he's not with you anymore.
Speaker 4: He's with someone else.
Speaker 2: Oh that's awful. He told your friends to tell you that is horrible.
Speaker 5: But a doubt.
Speaker 6: If it doesn't work out with her, he'll come back to me.
Speaker 2: I know what a cat eight a week to play. I hate the game that year eleven is brutal.
Speaker 7: Yes, this is one of the toughest one to hear today.
Speaker 2: Open heart surgery on the radio today, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 7: Test hopefully you know tragedy bus time equals to Christian O'Connell break for a show.
Speaker 2: Sure that test. Thank you very much you call. Have a nice weekend.
Speaker 6: Problem you two guys, love you show.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I'm see let's get Brucie on Bruce, Hello, Alloy and gang. All right, so take us back to the breakup, Bruce.
Speaker 5: I was here year ten ago. I was in a primary school going out with a girl and she left me for another boy at another school and broke my heart. And my song was please do not go by the one on FMS.
Speaker 2: This is deep, great song and.
Speaker 1: Jeez, the.
Speaker 2: Big emotions, big thoughts for in you can hear the pain, the voice you hear, you can I can hear in yours.
Speaker 7: I even even twelve, if you're now in year twelve, so it's still hurts two years.
Speaker 5: I even I even said her the tape, I've.
Speaker 2: Done that, I left to take once in a doorstep to something that broke here exactly right, her mom.
Speaker 3: Means said, don't don't do that, stay away from that house. There's a moment I'm totally forgot about that.
Speaker 2: I wonder why
Speaker 9: This is The Christian O'Connell Show podcast