Speaker 1: I Heeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can hear more Gold one I four point three podcasts, playlist and listen live on the free iHeart app.
Speaker 3: Got anything good?
Speaker 4: Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: All right now we're going to be looking for your spottings of celebrities in the shops. You know, this is amazing. Over the weekend, Tom Hanks made a surprise visit to the Greg Chapel Cricket Center in North Sydney with his son Truman Hanks.
Speaker 1: To buy cricket gear. What on earth he's done? He's done quite a few movies here, hasn't he? Do you remember me?
Speaker 2: Were starting during lockdown Queens. I think he was doing the basloment the Elvis movie.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, on the Gold Coast. But is he not just watching cricket now he's he's playing cricket.
Speaker 1: Americans are playing on my.
Speaker 5: Now playing in the World Cup.
Speaker 1: But it still still very surprised at Tom Hanks and they chat to with stuff about cricket.
Speaker 2: But we're unaware that the T twenty World Cup was on the way, same as the team Australia. We're out there despite the you're out a while ago praying that island beat?
Speaker 1: Who is fit Zimbabwe?
Speaker 6: Now we're playing Oman in a dead rubber right, yay?
Speaker 2: They got a beach cricket step, a couple of caps wicket keeping gloves.
Speaker 1: Is he paying street street cricket? I just kind of love this. We need to know more.
Speaker 5: I hope it's the start of a movie. Maybe he can play Don Bradman or something.
Speaker 1: I want to know more about this.
Speaker 2: If anyone sees sitting in listens, if anyone sees Tom Hanks out about it, He's obviously there at the moment doing something. I didn't know he'd be a cricket fan. Most Americans aren't. No, I think he would be.
Speaker 5: I see him as like an opening batsman, very serious, very disciplined, just sort of setting up innings more English.
Speaker 2: Yes, in his starlar play, Tom Hanks does not look American, does he?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: You're right?
Speaker 1: Do you know what? It's certain Like George Claney looks and Brad.
Speaker 2: Pitt they look that old school kind of Hollywood actor from like the sixties or seventeen. Tom Hanks looks more malnourished. He doesn't look American, all right. Stars in the stores, you're spottings on celebrities in the stores, pats, Who have you've seen?
Speaker 7: I saw Melissa George once in the cosmetic section of sas Fifth Avenue, Home and away. I'll hulland drive addim. I can't say a maneuvol amateurville, thank you horror. And I thought about approaching her, but she gave me the side eye, and I.
Speaker 1: Thought just to say Stanley distance.
Speaker 7: Well, but which I get. You know, she probably thought, I'm not Melissa George the actor today. I am just wow getting my gift with.
Speaker 1: Purchase you like anyway? Caresse? Why are you approaching us?
Speaker 7: So I did it, but I said.
Speaker 1: Someone did that, I would made even more of an effort to go and annoy them.
Speaker 2: Oh my godness, a famous person here, guys.
Speaker 1: But she was walking.
Speaker 7: Your body language wasn't greater, arms were crossed, head was down, and she gave me the side eye. So I thought, nope, not today. But I did see her.
Speaker 1: Cain has bounced up and down. Who have you seen? Stars in the stores?
Speaker 8: So I worked at Bunnings when I was sixteen, and I served tests from Mcloud's daughters.
Speaker 1: What a show, What a show it was?
Speaker 2: It was the Estrange sisters, the dad had died and they'd inherited the cattle.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, pation.
Speaker 8: So many other dads died along the way. They all had different dads.
Speaker 2: I don't know how if you were a dad in that show where they live, how you got life insurance?
Speaker 1: Wait? What what is that? A postcode? Was? You know what? McCloud. Oh my god, you simply cannot ensure it. You won't make the end of this phone call. I reckon that was a secret murder bumping them off.
Speaker 2: That is a classic to It must have been early two thousands, yeah, yes.
Speaker 8: From two thousands is when it started. But it went for like ten years. I think it was very long. But oh my, I couldn't believe myself, Like I couldn't believe it. She was in my line and I just said, I love the show.
Speaker 1: So much, So I bet she was really cool about it.
Speaker 8: She was really, really nice.
Speaker 1: Now tell me this, Can you remember what's in for?
Speaker 8: I can't remember what she bought. Actually, I was just so starstruck that I just was chatting to her and just buzzing her stuff through.
Speaker 2: But I don't remember what she got.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: I'd love to hear we but a signed thing today of stars in Bunnings as well. Anyone seeing Chris Hemmersworth in Bunnings, I bet it, guys.
Speaker 1: I had Tilda Swinton and George Miller come up to me. Worry me. Why now, why did Tilda come up to you?
Speaker 2: And it looks a lot like Conan O'Brien, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The ones.
Speaker 2: Conan was interviewing her and he said, sometimes I get mistaken for you.
Speaker 1: She was not impressed. ConA thought it was hilarious. She's a lovely she is. She's a proper actress.
Speaker 6: I was playing with the twins in Sydney Park getting a coffee and she just literally walks up and just starts chatting to me about my twin children because she's got twins as well. And she's like, oh, you got twins, lovely, and I'm like, oh my god, this is Julia Swinton. And then she's got next to her George Miller, Mad Max director, George Miller, and he chimes in and goes, oh, I'm a twin as well.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, that show started a twin podcast, a twin cast.
Speaker 9: It was amazing and we just chatted like normal parents in the playground. It was one of the weirdest experiences of my life because they were filming. They were shooting a film just nearby, so they just sort of wandered over to get a coffee and there we were chatting.
Speaker 1: Real what celebrices have you seen in the stores?
Speaker 5: Murray the original Red Wiggle at Sultan's Table in Sydney getting a late night greasy kebab at about one am, All.
Speaker 2: Down the kebab, sauce, the chitty sped all down that red shirt. Oh no, yummy, yummy in my tummy.
Speaker 5: It was the end of a very long pub crawl from me.
Speaker 2: Meant they get on it once you've done a whole day of screaming kids.
Speaker 1: You want to get on it, Donny and smash a few frothies. Yeah enough.
Speaker 5: He must have been up to something because it was very, very late and he was getting a very thick greasy kebab.
Speaker 1: All right, stars in the source, Who have you seen and Where?
Speaker 4: Christian O'Connell Show one podcast.
Speaker 2: Christian I saw a golf course in Perth. Gabrielle Batistuta one of the best Argentinian footballers of all times, that one of the best players of all time, one of the greatest strikers ever, Oh, incredible legend of football.
Speaker 1: Christian. I also saw Melissa George. Oh everywhere.
Speaker 2: Lissa Antonio saw Melissa George Pat's late nineties wards. I actually got a smile, not a side ee. Well yeah about the vibe as we give off, isn't it If you met Pats you'd side eye. Not like that, by the way, Sorry I sort of make that clear, but more like danger stranger kidnap. I probably got a panel van at the back waiting for you with curtains, one of those.
Speaker 1: Christian I used to work.
Speaker 2: I used to work at Willie's rex Hunt, a regular customer kissing the fish.
Speaker 1: What's he? Uh? Chas it here? I met Elton John when I was thirteen. Wow, where we're all is? Christian?
Speaker 2: Eddiezard came up to me, Am I makeup counter. He told me he loved my eyelashes back when I had extensions. We then went on to chat about the European referendum. He had his nails painted with the EU flag. We had such a lovely chat. Christian, my mum and I ran into Guy Bits at Spotlight. That's one of my favorites so far.
Speaker 1: What is he doing in Priscilla.
Speaker 2: I walked in awe and my mum continued chatting to him about it soon to be new curtains and renovations.
Speaker 1: He was the loveliest guy. That doesn't surprise me, Christian.
Speaker 2: Once I was in Woodies in Sydney and I reached for an avocado and someone else was reaching for the same avocado.
Speaker 10: It was Hugh Jackman, after you, after you, and he'd know how to pick a good ay wordy wordy wordy?
Speaker 1: Would would would you be doing the squeeze test? And then what are you putting them back? The ones? He's pretty squeezed. He's got to be careful this big clause.
Speaker 2: He's making guacamole right there, right, all right. So the reason why we're doing this is incredible story over the weekend of Hollywood star Tom Hanks and his son buying Australian cricket gret gear and one of you was actually there, Andre, who's on the line now, Andre, Good morning, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Christian, I'm good so you you were there.
Speaker 11: I was literally in the shop. I'd gone in to get a new grip on my cricket bat and it didn't occur to me that it was Tom Hanks standing in greg Chapel cricket store in North Sydney on a Friday morning.
Speaker 2: I get it, but why would you think, oh, there's bound to be some Hollywood stars there.
Speaker 11: Well, that's right. I had a finite amount of time or for a turn week old baby. I had five minutes to get a new grip on my cricket bat and get back home. And Truman was talking to the shop assistant. Evidently Tom was in there, and it did not occur to me. My wife was at home watching You've Got Mail, which he watches.
Speaker 4: Probably every week, and.
Speaker 3: Send me the news article two.
Speaker 11: Days later, and I said, oh, yeah, I was in the store at the time, and she's not really spoken to me very much since.
Speaker 1: So that is incredible. I love that.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, you needed that grip. The ten team needed you really urgently in the World Cup.
Speaker 11: Yeah, let's not go there.
Speaker 2: Christ Andre, thank you very much you calling, and I hope it's all going well with the ten year old Town week Old as well.
Speaker 11: Thank you very much. Have a good time.
Speaker 4: O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: So Big Store of the weekend, Hollywood A is to Tom Hanks and his son spotted in Sydney mine cricket gear.
Speaker 1: This is is it research street backyard cricket?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: And he sounds like thirty yeah five, isn't he?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I know it's just odd. You know it's odd if it was for his grandkid or I totally understand, but an actual grown up kids.
Speaker 5: Your thirty year old two thirty year old American men pa cricket.
Speaker 2: Is paying backyard cricket or is this research for a role?
Speaker 5: I hope it's research for a role.
Speaker 2: We have questions and when he answers right now that we're looking for your sightings of stars in the stores, we've had some great ones and they keep coming in as well. Christian Richard, Dean Anderson mcgiver oh in the Perth Apple Store.
Speaker 1: Crafty screen.
Speaker 2: Christian Chris Hemsworth went wild on the Gold Coast.
Speaker 1: So was he wet and wild? He's just out in the wet and world. What are we talking about?
Speaker 2: I've had to say my wife melted when he spoke to her about her kids are in similar ages, especially because he's going to be in trance shirtless. Yeah, he's not doing the damn thing of hiding the Dan Bob with a.
Speaker 1: T shirts he hasn't got a Christian.
Speaker 2: Years ago, I used to work at Channel seven in the green room when Steve Aizard had his big chat show on Denzil Washington was a guest on the show chat to myself and mcconey for fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Was a really nice guy. These are brilliant keithing coming.
Speaker 2: Michael Hutchins Oh padding to markets in Sydney back in nineteen ninety two. He was with his then girlfriend Helenia Christiansen. Wow, now this is called stars in the stores. Would you say the Vatican is a store?
Speaker 1: Not necessarily?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Are they selling merch there? You know, Tatholic merch.
Speaker 5: I do have a hot Italian priests calendar that my friend bought for me just outside the Vatican.
Speaker 1: So just outside the gates, oh you.
Speaker 2: Know, like just outside the mcg made in sporting ground they have those people setting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the footy records. Yeah, is it like that the Vatican? It must be yeah, well, uh.
Speaker 2: Tania sat ving Rams he's a great actor in pulp fiction and all the Mission Impossible movies. The Vatican two thousand and eight he was filming Mission Impossible. Christian I met Peter Brook Westfield's Paramatta he was going for his tenth win.
Speaker 1: I wish him good luck. He signed my receipt. That's all we could find. Yeah, that's Bogan. That's so Vogan. Don't do it? Know the fuel voucher Pete going to claim is his expense as legend.
Speaker 2: Christian I basically had dinner someone's flatsing here. Christian, I basically had dinner with Kim Kardashian.
Speaker 6: Wow, wow, what is that it?
Speaker 1: That's it? I need to know more of it.
Speaker 2: I'm more interested in Peter Brock and Hugh Jackman going for the same avocado as you can. You can take it with your Kim Kardashian Cool Carl and Jackie O were Kardashian Free radio show.
Speaker 1: We've got Matt on the line now, Matt, good.
Speaker 12: Morning, Good day, Christian.
Speaker 1: How are I I'm good?
Speaker 2: Now, We've got to get you on this is we're talking about all these celebrities in everyday stores because of the Mighty Tom Hanks buying cricket gear. So your colleague served him or worked at the store Saturday morning.
Speaker 12: I'm not sure if he served him, but he was definitely there. He worked there on the weekends. He worked for us during the week and there on the weekend, and yeah, he was just so starst hanging on about it all all day when I was with him on Monday.
Speaker 1: And can you tell me what did he buy?
Speaker 12: Bats and gloves and just all sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Did you see what it was for? Didn want to ask him, like what's this for?
Speaker 12: I'm not sure that's what I've been trying to get onto my mate, trying answer. He's got a day off, so he's probably sleeping so quite annoying, to be honest, I'd rather wake him up. And he's just ignoring my call.
Speaker 2: Well, let us know when you raise him, because we have and I think, like everyone listen morning, so many questions about why was Tom Hanks buying all that.
Speaker 1: Ossie cricket gear. It's just a lot for him and his grown up son.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, sure it is.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 12: I was like, you sure it was Tom Hanks And he's like, wait, you don't miss Tom Hanks. That's pretty bare.
Speaker 1: All right, Matt, thank you very much, and give us a call when you were. Mate wakes up.
Speaker 12: Okay, yeah, too easy.
Speaker 2: Michelle's on the line now. Good morning, Michelle, Good morning, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Michelle. All right, stars in the stores.
Speaker 3: Who have you seen Russell Crowe and Tom Cruise?
Speaker 1: Huge? What were they doing together?
Speaker 3: They were together? There are Tom Cruise's birthday party. It was about twenty twenty five years ago. I worked at Eastern Creek go cart Center and they had actually hide out the entire go cart center his hosts and hold Tom Cruise's birthday party.
Speaker 2: There's so much happening right now. You've got ethan hunt taken on Gladiator. Who wins?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Tom Cruiser's bodyguard told me that they all were told to let Tom win.
Speaker 2: In my mind though Maximus, Gladiator, Russ and Crowe wins.
Speaker 1: He's at the top of the opodium. Are we not entertain always wins?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah we did on that night, that's for sure. That's for sure. And his son was there as well, and his son was dressed as Tigger from Winnie the Two.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so cute. And tell me this, Michelle, So were you working there? What a thing to be to witness?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: The funny thing was my sister was working there full time and has coordinated the event, and she wouldn't tell me who was coming, only that I had to wear makeup and make sure my hair looked really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get those roots as well, says, you know, you might be you might be leaving with Tom or Russell or both.
Speaker 3: She just said, if you don't have lipstick on the.
Speaker 1: Star quite a long go Cup place.
Speaker 3: They're very cold for a really long time. They were there for like a couple of hours. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was just doing like laps racing each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a full on go Cup center and they actually were racing, and there would have been twenty people there. They all turned up in black oudies and black you know, rangrovers and it was all tinted windows and all very excited. Realized, Oh it was a pinched me moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a great story, and tell me this.
Speaker 3: I wanted to get like a photo with them, and they said like, yeah, I did get a photo. But then I also a couple of weeks later got a signed photo of Tom Cruise in the mail. Because back in those days that's how you got autographed.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: It would have been before selfies and sort of iPhones and all that.
Speaker 3: We did. We did get a photo that I remember. We did get a photo. I don't have a copy of the photo. Someone else took a camera and we were able to get well, able to get a photo with.
Speaker 2: Them, different time. What a great story. Oh, thank you so much. Recording in Michelle, thanks.
Speaker 3: For yeah, welcome aboard and yeah good luck.
Speaker 2: Great to be on board, Michelle. Thank you very much your story mate. That's a kider one for one of the best ones of the show so far this year. Great story, Thank you. Thanks title today's show is Tom Always Wins.
Speaker 4: A Christian O'Connell show podcast