Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week The Light. Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors, and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you were currently watching and gives you a better insight at our television industry and streaming services today. On the podcast, I have the Big Brother love bird Sam the latest DIVICTI has been dating good guy turned bad boy Drew. The twenty twenty two love story has been blown up officially with Samming's second eviction. The series was promoted heavily with this year's romance, as fans were keen to see how this relationship would play out. After all, Drew from twenty thirteen was back living with his ex Tully, also from twenty thirteen. The two have been quite the talk of the Big Brother world for nearly ten years. So how was Sam going to fit into that dynamic? Well, if you ask me, it was always going to be front and center. Well until now we will talk new and old alliances, ex boyfriends now Drew and Josh. How Sam was cast on the show, and well, so many rumors that I felt like Santa Claus ticking off a Christmas list. We did have a few glitches along the way, so I do apologize for any frustration, but I think I have cleaned it up as much as possible. However, let's get started with today's guest. I'd like to welcome Sam Minofski to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: It was really hurtful. You know, I've put so much of my trust in this person this year. It's my twenty first birthday. Those three guys definitely feel like my rocks. And I've invited housemates both new and legendary. Some people just can't live together. We'll experience enough to take on the next generation of housemaids. There was still a few things that were a bit sticky between the two of them and the new contenders.
Speaker 1: I'll git big Brother royalty.
Speaker 2: I had a lot of emotional connections and I played from my heart, this is big brother.
Speaker 1: Hi Sam, how.
Speaker 2: Are you very well? Thank you thanks for having me. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I'm all the fields well, congratulations on your time on Big Brother. Was the experience anything like you thought it would be?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. You cannot prepare. You cannot prepare for that experience. Big Brother just doesn't allow for that. Big Brother is just unpredictable. So yeah, there's nothing that I could have done to prepare myself for what I experienced.
Speaker 1: Well, it was an interesting start for you because Josh really blew up your game very early on. What has your relationship been like with Josh since Josh.
Speaker 2: And I have unfortunately we discontinued our friendship. I think that it's for the best for both of us at this stage. My feelings for Sam, to be honest with you, haven't changed.
Speaker 3: She's my dream girl and I want her back.
Speaker 1: You know. There was a few rumors that sort of floated around because of him, and he was telling everyone in Australia that he got you onto the show. Have you got a different version of that story? I mean, is it true that he got you into the series?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. As far as I know, he's not part of the casting team. I received a phone call from the producers and they shared with me that they loved what they saw on my Instagram account. So yeah, well I'm aware of is that they loved me from Instagram. So I got myself on the show.
Speaker 1: You know, a couple of other rumors floated around that you may have met Drew prior to the show. Was it true that you'd exchange numbers Withdrew in Melbourne at a chance meeting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like when I I did not know him before going into the show. My friends told me that there was one night back at the Saint in twenty fifteen or I don't know. I can't even remember when I've just been to the Saint once. I remember the birthday. They're like, you've given Drew your number before. I'm like, I gave a lot of guys my number that year. I don't know, like when he fits into it. So I didn't. I didn't even know what Drew looked like in this year going into the house.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So when did you know that Drew was going into the series? Because there was this other rumor going around that you'd found out that he was going into this series while you're in lockdown? Is that also not true?
Speaker 2: That's not true. No, I found that Drew was coming into the house when he popped his head out of the deck. That's when I found that Andrew was coming in the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if Drew wasn't in the show, would things have played out any differently between you and Josh. I mean, it seemed like that ship at it resale from your perspective.
Speaker 2: No, nothing would have changed my feelings towards Josh. Yeah, Drew came in after Josh, so Drew has nothing to do. They're too separate. But I hope that he does what I was going to do, take down the ultimate player of the game, Tim. If Drew is the one to do it, oh my god, that would be the best, like.
Speaker 1: The best outcome. When you left, you seem pretty confident that Drew would try and take Tim out of the competition. But that is the opposite of what's kind of happened. Did that put a strain on your relationship after you left the show?
Speaker 2: The way Drew played the game and the way I played the game was very different. I had a lot of emotional connections and I played from my heart. Yeah, what happened in the end didn't really influence the way like our relationship after the show. We have different lifestyle choices, We're very different people. He's a very busy guy, and I'm here on the Sunshine Coast, and we weren't. Neither of us were wanting to move for each other. So those are the sorts of things that impacted our relationship posts Big Brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's like the movie Speed, you know, where Sandra Bullock says to Keanu Reeves. You know, relationships based on extreme situations never work out. So I guess Big Brothers kind of like the movie Speed, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Big Brothers like a vortex. It's a completely different world. It's not the same as what it is out here. It's just not reality. Even though it's Reality TV. Everything inside the house is real. The emotions are real, the experiences are real. The context is not real. You know, we have TVs, we have mobile phones, we have a whole world out here that is not what Big Brother is.
Speaker 1: The viewers and some housemates have all weighed in on your relationship with Drew. What do you say when people had made comment that you know you were more into Drew than he was into.
Speaker 2: You think, I think that you know, people are entire their opinion, and I guess I know what's true, and I know what Drew and I shared. So I don't really pay too much of stuff like that because it's like it's not true. But for those people who are questioning the relationship between Drew and I, look like it was reciprocated and it was very Yeah, it wasn't one sided at all. Definitely not and you'll get to see that.
Speaker 1: Have you been reading the comments online? Like how are you coping with you know, now being in the spotlight so to speak.
Speaker 2: Look, I have been reading some of the comments. I really don't have a lot of time. I'm busy, Like I've got a lot of clients to deal with. I've got a lot of stuff happening in my life. I do receive a lot of beautiful feedback and I do have time for that. And sometimes I respond to the fans and thank them. Then I see the phade kise and I'm just like, you have gone to the nth degree to actually get onto my account and share some really horrible things and you don't know anything about me. For those people, I just don't allow time and space for them in my world. Like, I've got better things to do than worry about people who don't know me.
Speaker 1: What's the one thing that people come up and say to you on the street. So when you're walking around up on the Sunshine Coast, you know, what are people coming up and saying to you.
Speaker 2: I've flown back and forth from Melbourne, so I've been seen at the airport a bit. They love me on the show asking about Drew and I. It's just like positive feedback, really happy to meet me. Just really beautiful people. Yeah, it's been really nice.
Speaker 1: You know, the conversation with Joel was pretty hectic that Drew managed to have. Were you disappointed to see that Drew was having that conversation. I mean he seemed to be the instigator in that conversation with Joel, making a pact that you know, they would both get rid of their girlfriends. I mean, how did that play out for you when you finally saw that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, when I saw that, it was really hurtful. My heart did sink and I did feel quite triggered it.
Speaker 1: He's just gave me a proposition that he would take out Alicia down the track if I can get Sam be evicted.
Speaker 2: There's a bottleneck. It was really hurtful. You know, I put so much of my trust in this person, and that completely changed my experience in the house, and had he been honest with me from the Gecko, I probably would have had my own independent space and gain to play rather than being merged with him.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you'd have been able to make some great relationships inside the house. Who has been you know, the strongest relationship that you've built in your Big Brother experience long term.
Speaker 2: So I expected Tim and to us regularly. I was just spected Johnson regularly. And it has been really beautiful dad, just to have that support. You know, Tim has had the experience of being in the house. To Rus is just so truthful and honest and we'll just call me into integrity and and you know, speak so many beautiful words to me. And Johnson's just amazing for a laugh. So those three guys definitely feel like my rocks in this in this experience hosts the Big brother have. And I'm in regular contact with Alisha as well. So it's been nice just to have that support.
Speaker 1: Interesting that with Tully, you know, she really wanted a redemption storyline coming back into the show. You know, how do you think that she went. Do you think that she was able to redeem you know, a different storyline for herself being in the show this time around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, I think it would have helped that, you know, Drew was preoccupied, so that would have kept the whole story separate.
Speaker 1: How does it feel living with your ex boyfriend?
Speaker 3: Look, I'm not gonna lie, it's a bit awkward. I think they're actually very well suited and it's quite sweet most of the time, but being all cute and romantic literally directly opposite me, it's just like, I feel like a creep.
Speaker 2: I think that she was still dragged into the storyline a bit, and look, it was really cool just to watch her stand on her own two feet, and as she evolves in the show, she does really find her feet away from Drew, because there was still a few things that were a bit sticky between the two of them, where she didn't vote for me to leave Andrew's birthday and that that just sort of shows that she's still kind of like, you know, in connection with him.
Speaker 1: She still has a friendship with him, She still has.
Speaker 2: A friendship with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, the Ogs seemed to be imploding at the end of tonight's episode. You know, we really got to see a tease of you know, Estelle and Tim starting to lock horns. You know what do you think has made the Ogs lose grip on the competition?
Speaker 2: In my opinion, I feel that you have two people playing very different games, and you know, too many cooks spoil the broths. So I think that Tim is very strategic and he has such a brilliant mind and he has this ability to see people's gifts and see, you know, what works with them and what doesn't, whereas Estelle I think plays more into the emotions. I think, yeah, there's just a difference there. You know, Tim's quite straight up and transparent, and I think that it can be quite triggering and an explosive blow up. You know what, Tim, just shut up.
Speaker 3: You push people, and you push people and you push people.
Speaker 1: Has the original housemates on the verge of collapse have a bit of decorum?
Speaker 2: No, you could just leave it for a minute.
Speaker 1: Game.
Speaker 3: Do you push people when they're already dealing shit?
Speaker 1: The Ogs are imploating and it's about time. Interesting that you were saying about, you know, the dynamics of Tim and a Stelle. You know, do you think that they are controlling the OG's game? Do you think that they are the people in charge of how that whole system is running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Tim and no Stelle are definitely leading the park for the Ogs. Team's playing his own game, definitely playing his own game, and Estelle is attached to this like pack mentality. He's got to go, He's gonna go.
Speaker 1: We cannot twist it was someone removes the Tully question the question marks gone. Yeah, and Alicia was really emotional in the elimination room. Did you know where her vote was going at that stage?
Speaker 2: It's really hard, Toll. It's really hard to predict what will happen in an eviction ceremony because we are still scrambling at that point, We're still fighting for our position in the house. I could see Alicia was struggling and she had to make a choice that was better for her game. So may being so vogue and unpredictable in my own game, Yeah, I think that she was really struggling to choose because we did have a really solid friendship in the house.
Speaker 1: Has your relationship changed with what now seems to be the real world versus Big Brother? I mean, you're inside a social experiment, and I know this for myself. Some relationships feel stronger in the house, and then they seem to disintegrate after the show. You know what has been the biggest evolution of friendship since the show has come to an end.
Speaker 2: The biggest evolution of friendship has definitely been with Tim Trass. I mean Trass and I had this one conversation at the very beginning of the game and I just remember thinking, this guy is a legend. I love him. I felt an instant connection with him, and I just thought, I don't really need to put much effort into this friendship because it was just this knowing that we just get each other. So I think, to my detriment, not having put enough energy into that friendship obviously caused me issues later on in the game. But since leaving the house, we have just become such solid friends. And you know, I share some of my deepest fears with him and he just gives me some of the best advice. And same with Tim. You know, Tim and I had a very similar or. We had a really beautiful start. We were really close. I was sleeping on the og side of the house, and we just really connected spiritually and mentally and yeah, emotionally. We had some really deep conversations and I think it helps that I didn't know him from Big Brother because I didn't have that like star kind of I didn't have stars in my eyes when I was having conversation. I wasn't starstruck, that's the word. And Yeah, since the show has ended, he's been a massive support as well, and I'm probably going to collaborate together in the future with some work. And we've just had some really great conversations. Like I said, he has a brilliant mind. He's really good at helping people better understand themselves because he sees things for what they are. And I think that that's a really beautiful skill. And it obviously served you well in the game because he was able to use that to his advantage. But in the outside world, he doesn't use it in that way. He don't use that skill in that way.
Speaker 1: You know, Tim really seem to have it in for you during the show. You know what made you his biggest target? Do you think it was just simply that you were taking away his mate from him and maybe that's where the problem fell down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think history has a way of repeating itself, you know, Like I took away Drew's attention. Yeah, and I think that for Tim's game it would have been more fun to have just his best mate back in the house, and unfortunately he didn't have that, and then instead made an enemy out of his friend by coming for me.
Speaker 1: It's so strange, you know. I was reading yesterday online people were saying, maybe Tim has the secret hots for Drew. Do you think that there's any truth in that.
Speaker 2: I think everybody would secretly have the hots for Drew. He's very charismatic and charming. He's just got those beautiful blue eyes, and he's very dreamy.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm like I think everyone, I mean, even myself, Like sometimes when I've been out with Drew because we're friends, you know, I'll be like, this man is just so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Only human, Ben really human.
Speaker 1: Do you think that your second chance to stay in the house was fair gameplay? Because you know, you were eliminated fairly and you kind of walked out and then just pulled the streamer and then all of a sudden you're back into the show. Do you think some of those twists that Big Brother plays with the housemates are fair because not everyone got a second chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean definitely. It was an opportunity for me to come back, and I had this master plan to get Tim, and unfortunately I didn't. I didn't get enough people behind it. I didn't realize that Johnson and Tim had made a deal, and that makes sense now why he wasn't in support of it. So yeah, I did really try to utilize my second chance challenge or not challenge, so just my second chance. But yeah, we don't get to see all that sort of stuff. We don't get to see what happens behind the scenes, you know, where I was really rallying up this strategy, working with a few people in the house, like to rass. We had had a few conversations around some strategies around that, but yeah, it didn't it didn't, unfortunately work out that way. Turns out I'm not that great at playing your brother.
Speaker 1: Well that's one way of looking at it. But at the same time as well, you know, hindsight is a beautiful thing. You know, watching the show back is a completely different thing to what it's like to be in there twenty four hours a day. It's a completely different experience and you can think, oh, wow, I wish I would have done that differently, but that's just isn't how it happens. That's not how it falls down, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, And like the emotions, the adrenaline, the sleep deprivation, the filip through deprivation, all of these catalysts for drama, which is what happens. You know, they're just fires, are just setting off left, right and center. So it's like really hard to hold your ground and stay centered it when you have so many moving parts in a small space with a lot of people, and then you have big brother who's just sate. It's so sadistic. So yeah, of course it's it's amazing looking from the outside in. But yeah, being in the house is just a completely different experience to watching myself.
Speaker 1: Now, how are you going watching it? Like do you have to drink a bottle of wine? Do you have to do yoga beforehand? And afterwards? Like how has the experience been for you?
Speaker 2: Watching the show back, I'm literally screaming at myself. I know what happens, but then I'm just like, don't do it, don't do it. Sometimes I've had wine and sometimes I've done yoga. I've done both. I'm a bit of a libra like that. I like to keep things im balance. Sometimes I've watched it with friends. Sometimes I've watched it alone. It's been a really interesting experience watching back and just seeing, yeah, just seeing how I hold myself. I'm pretty proud of myself, to be honest with you, I think that I like just the work that I've done. I'm not the same person I was many years ago, and I just feel like the way that I stood up for myself, the way that I backed myself, I've never had that before, and Big Brother gave me that. I've never had self belief in the way that I experienced in the house. So even though I wasn't playing the best game, I played my best game and I was my best self.
Speaker 1: It's also strange because I mean, you know, you did really end up kind of playing this game with Drew. You know, in hindsight now, do you wish that you had parked the relationship with Drew. Do you think that it would have been better for you to play your own game and not be in that relationship and then maybe have a cheeky patch with them at the after party.
Speaker 2: The issue with Drew and I is that, like we had this little love bubble that we were in, but we didn't actually play the game together. I wasn't really voting the same way he was. I was voting in a way that was sort of like who I connected with. I was playing with my heart, playing a social game. He was way more strategic. And I think that we've clashed there. But being in a relationship in the house definitely hindered my game, and it, you know, was something that I didn't want to do. My intention was not to get involved with anybody coming into the house. However, Yeah, we just clicked. We had so much fun together. We just laughed all day every day and it was great. So I wouldn't change it, but it did, it did. It did impact my experience for sure.
Speaker 1: Why do you think that he doesn't get along with Estelle in the house? I mean you would expect that because those who had met outside of the house and had a friendship, and you know, they're both Big Brother alumni. You know, they're the ogs. You know, why do you think they clashed so much inside the Big Brother House?
Speaker 2: Ah? I think they clashed because a Stell is quite driven by her emotions and Drew. Yeah, Drew just really wasn't available for that, and he just he doesn't like a winge and a complainer or anything like that. And I think they clushed because you know, they had misinterpreted each other. Stelle had something to say about a lot of things in the house, and then Drew had a lot to say about what a Stelle would say about all the things in the house. So some people just can't live together.
Speaker 1: What sort of advice are you going to give to people when they come up and say, I want to do a Big Brother? Have you got any advice for future housemates?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For future housemates, I would advise staying true to yourself, don't compromise on your integrity whatsoever, and play a smart game by doing that, Like, just make alliances, build friendships, create a solid crew of people who you can trust. Trust is the currency of the house, as is truth. And have fun. Have so much fun, don't get too caught up in your head.
Speaker 1: Yep, easy said than done, but I reckon that's definitely some good advice, you know, to celebrate twenty one years of you know, Big Brothers. Since Big Brothers been on television, I've been on the podcast using retel Colleen's top ten questions that she would ask housemates when they would leave the original Big Brother So I'm going to run through these questions with you. Are you prepared?
Speaker 2: I am?
Speaker 1: What did you miss the most while you're inside the Big Brother House?
Speaker 2: I missed my family support most whilst I was in the house.
Speaker 1: Who was your favorite person inside the house?
Speaker 2: My favorite person in the house would have to be Johnson.
Speaker 1: What was your Who was your least favorite person?
Speaker 2: Lara?
Speaker 1: Who had the most annoying habit inside the house?
Speaker 2: Oh, the most annoying habit? JC? He left his like beard trimmings all over the sink.
Speaker 1: So annoying, That's disgusting. Who was the funniest person in the house?
Speaker 2: Tim? Actually sorry, I'd take that back to Ras is the funniest in the house hands down, because he has a dark sense of humor and I just love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. What was or who was the laziest person in the house?
Speaker 2: Probably on Park Gabs and Leash.
Speaker 1: Everyone says those two, They must have been really lazy. What was your greatest regret now that you've left the house.
Speaker 2: My greatest regret was not playing my own game and getting swept up in a love story.
Speaker 1: And who will be out next? Not what you know, but like when you left the show, who did you think would follow you after your elimination based.
Speaker 2: On the conversations that I had, I think the next person to be eliminated is potentially Stell And who do you.
Speaker 1: Think will win Big Brother twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: I was, yeah, look, I really connected with Johnson and him being a super fan. You know, I just love that. It's really hard. It's really hard because there's so many amazing people in the house. But yeah, leaving the house Johnson, Johnson and I really clicked and I really saw a beautiful side to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing. Well, they're the questions. But the last question I asked everyone who joins the podcast is what's something from behind the scenes that we as an audience didn't see and that we won't see. But something is behind the scenes secret of your time on Big.
Speaker 2: Brother three way love Affair that Drew and I had this Big Brother. So when Drew and I were having moments like we do a lot of kissing, but we did a lot of kissing in private rooms like the tree house, but no one was around, and Big Brother would always liked to join the conversation and give us a little bit of who tease us a little bit. I don't think Australia we will see that. That was fun.
Speaker 1: I think that that would have been really weird for everyone. I mean not everyone's had a three way with big brother.
Speaker 2: Hey no, no, yeah, you walk that was great though.
Speaker 1: You can walk away with that. You can walk away with that. Maybe not the winner of Big Brother, but the winner of having a three way with big brother who's not your real brother. So that's less creepy.
Speaker 2: Boy, less creepy, and way more sexy. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Dam I absolutely love being able to catch up with you. I thought you were fantastic on the show, probably one of the most talked about housemates this year, especially inside the Newbie Realm. Thanks for spending the time unpacking your big Brother experience. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Ben. I really appreciate having having me. It's just been such a great conversation.