Speaker 1: Flex and Rooms, Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 1: Helloelo Or, welcome back to the podcast. It's Monday, the tenth of July. We are back from holidays. Thanks everyone for letting us live. I was in Melbourne chillin', drove to Melbourne, got my car service. Shout out to whoever serviced that I don't know something my dad organized. I'm gonna be honest, that's still fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm want to learn how to change my oil never.
Speaker 3: I don't need to learn that.
Speaker 1: But on today's show, I think that nature is healing. I did go on a walk when I was in New South Wales and I need to recap with everybody. Flex also says that people in Melbourne hotter.
Speaker 2: That's no I have said that.
Speaker 4: I take it back, but it's an assessment made by a VIP listener who worries how I ever lived in Sydney for so long, given that from the perspective, everyone's ugly and I am not.
Speaker 1: WHOA.
Speaker 3: Let's go here's the podcast.
Speaker 2: Babe, Mummy, can I listen to Flex and Frooms? Flex and Rooms.
Speaker 3: I'm cat Flex.
Speaker 1: Did you know that in eighteenth cent England, rich people employed hermits as garden nomes. They dressed them up as gnomes and made them sign seven year leases where they couldn't speak to anyone. They just had to potter around the garden in a little noome costume.
Speaker 2: Is your culture?
Speaker 3: And I said, you know what, it makes sense.
Speaker 4: Can we get some more information? Can we get some more information? Can we get ethnicity of nomes? Is it going where I think it's going? No?
Speaker 1: Okay, definitely not. But I did, I did wonder and I brought in this break.
Speaker 3: What was it called?
Speaker 2: They're called.
Speaker 3: Yeah, babe, I know what gardenme is.
Speaker 1: They're called ornamental hermits. Ornamental hermits happening?
Speaker 4: What if the definition of a hermit? Because I'm thinking like a homebody, But what's the traditional root?
Speaker 3: It's this.
Speaker 1: So garden hermits or ornamental hermits were people encouraged to live alone in purpose built hermitages, foils, grottoes, or rockeries on the estates of wealthy landowners, primarily in the eighteenth century. Such hermits would be encouraged to remain permanently on site, where they could be fed, cared for, and consulted for advice or viewed for entertainment. So you had your little hermits for like looking at them like they're part of the garden, and then the other hermits for advice, sage, advice, the concept they were novelties and eccentricities. Quite like I would say, the little tiny people that you follow in your phone in the garden home not going to speak backs, watching us be ornamental. We are the real garden homes of the twenty first century.
Speaker 4: There might be something there. Because I was gonna ask, what's the modern equivalent we're doing it now? I thought, that's just so odd and key. How could we view people like that just for ornamental properties and advice.
Speaker 5: And yet we do that every day. Guys, what a few in the room with us? Yeah, you get paid to look. But also, guys, just while we're here.
Speaker 1: Grotto's had become more popular during the eighteenth century, is placed to withdraw for meditation, relaxation, and reflection. With an increase focus on industrialism and production. Contemplative garden meditation was viewed by some as an extravagance which should be now with the lack of personal free time in combination with an increase of disposal income. Again, it's kind of how we feel the popularity of a natural garden landscaping and the rise of neoclassical culture established an environment in which the idea of garden hermits as novelty guests became popular.
Speaker 2: This is wild.
Speaker 4: I would love to know how we got from actual people to ceramic or even at this point plaster sculptures.
Speaker 2: But at a different time.
Speaker 3: That is absolutely amazing.
Speaker 2: Guys, not your eyes glistening, you sick o.
Speaker 1: We are garden nermits. That's a nomen a hermit as one word nervets. Good night, you're inflexan forms on cateranermit.
Speaker 2: I know you've missed us.
Speaker 4: We've just come back from our break, but the nonsense and the cerebral talk continue today. Threw me a big question for you. Do you talk to your neighbors?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: You know, I have a you to bee from the neighbors.
Speaker 2: Do we have an update from that?
Speaker 1: Okay, so guys, a little while ago, my neighbor across the hall I walk into the house is a ransom scent.
Speaker 3: I think who has passed away in the building.
Speaker 1: They had left their stinky, wet garbage bag on their doorstep. I'm sensing some housemade animosity like.
Speaker 4: I don't get it because it's like I'm going to do it tomorrow. I want to go outside you right now.
Speaker 3: We're in a carpeted venue.
Speaker 1: Guys, yeah, take it out, so alas it is quite a friendly building this morning. I see you guys, so hello, hello, but no further chat.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you keep it tired, you keep it lying.
Speaker 3: One hundred ccent.
Speaker 4: There is a phenomenon happening. People do not speak to their neighbors. You can attribute it to we live in apartments not houses, people are inherently unsafe, or it's dangerous, whatever it might be, it's a widespread issue. I was reading an article which was an exerpt from the Atlantics, not off TikTok. That's incredible, not of TikTok from the Atlantics podcast called how to Talk to People, which I think for people think they're above listening to we all need it because we're all suffering. And this episode in particular was how to get to know your neighbors, because this person was having a I don't know, an analysis of some sort or hypothesis that because we all have commitment issues, we don't want to get to know our neighbors.
Speaker 2: And I thought commitment issues all of us. What do you mean?
Speaker 4: And this person was speculating that because we're afraid of intimacy, we're not prepared for We don't want to break the floodgates and invite this relationship in because it's our safe space. I got to be here every day, and if I talk to you today and tomorrow and the next day, are we obliged to have a friendship. Are we obliged to escalate this relationship to the next level? Do I need to invite you in? Do I have to build on this relationship? Which is fair because that's my hesitation of befriending my neighbors. I've had a few interactions in my building that I don't know what to do with. For example, I might be coming out of the lift and someone might recognize me and say do.
Speaker 2: You live here? You said no, Do I lie?
Speaker 4: Do I invite this seemingly nice but potentially dangerous stranger into my daily life? And he tells, you know, I'm not a fan of dock sing. I don't like it. But as I was reading this excerpt of this podcast, they suddenly got into this place where they were talking about how they feel like we're all seeking this thing that we fear, and they mentioned this phenomenon called the prisoner's dilemma.
Speaker 2: I said, what's the prisoner's dilemma?
Speaker 4: It's this idea where in some ways we interact with people and we say, I don't trust them, or I think they might not trust me. Let's say you're a prisoner in jail looking out to the fellow prisoners. You know why you're there, but you don't really know why they're there. You just know you're in the same place. And so do you give them the benefit of the doubt, knowing that they could be a serial killer murderer? Or do you let them in and give yourself and them the benefit of the doubt that you can behave in a way that's safe for both of you.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: The only antidocte of feeling like we can't trust people or our neighbors is by like giving into it and almost like suspending your disbelief and like showing that first step of vulnerability, which I feel like every time I do it, I'm like, am I going to live to regret this?
Speaker 2: Do I really want to become the person.
Speaker 4: Who has given this neighbor this illusion of a friendship that's not going to be there. Maybe I have talked to my new neighbors once before, and the next time was about a week later, and it was like really early, and I was like, do they want.
Speaker 3: To talk to me?
Speaker 4: Until I didn't say anything, but then they said something and I felt really bad.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Point is, I don't think there's a good reason for us not to know our neighbors. And I think that any justification you could make as to why you don't need to know them could be easily debunked with logic and feelings.
Speaker 1: I must say, I'm afraid because my neighbor has heard some stuff that I've said online.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it will change our lives to the better, definitely.
Speaker 1: Like neighborly relations. Yeah, you will need to keep up the jones. It's and also, if you're a Sisters fan, you know that there's some tension between Flanders and Homer for certain.
Speaker 3: I'll let you be the judge of that.
Speaker 2: I'll let you be there.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is flex and Rooms on Kaita.
Speaker 4: Rumor has it people are hotter in Melbourne exponentially.
Speaker 2: Not my words from the mouth of a flex and frooms listener.
Speaker 6: Hey Flex, Hey free me. I was just recently listening to the podcast EPP where Flex goes to a Bunning's in Melbourne and it's just taken aback by the sheer beauty that is held under the Bunnings roof. And I thought this was funny, like a funny mention because a friend and I just went to Sydney and from touchdown, like when we got off the plane, we were like, why is no one in Sydney hot? So I was just sort of interested in what you guys think. I don't know, why does Melbourne feel hotter than Sydney? Is there something in the water? Like is it just us? Or do you guys agree? Like what's your feelings? And like why is it that way?
Speaker 3: Tell us?
Speaker 4: Perhaps the question is are Sydney people inherently fugly and Melbourne people inherently In this essay?
Speaker 2: I will will I do want to put here?
Speaker 4: We do have an excerpt that was not played, but was written and sent with the voice memo. Confusing though, babes, because I do know flexus from Sydney and she's a hottie, must have been isolating for her there.
Speaker 2: In fact, it was In fact, it was.
Speaker 4: There is something in the water, and I'm just not sure what it is. It's not that while I was in Sydney I had perceived everyone to be, you know, varying degrees of not heart. That's not what was happening. But when I touched down and I went to the I'm going to say it. I went to the Bunnings in Collingwood, Oh, and I said, everybody here is a ten, which is not what I want or expect at a Bunnings. And it made shopping very difficult. Of course I felt eyes on me, but they were just working and I was into it. Listen, yeah, everyone else.
Speaker 3: In a horny place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I run is hotter and I'm not sure why.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but I'm going to reiterate the horniness that I feel when I go to a Bunning's. Talk to us, to me why last time I went? Not only did I need a shit that's been established as a fact that occurs when you're a Bunnings a phenomenon. Why am I running into attractive people go?
Speaker 4: I think it's because we understand there is an inherent sexiness in being helpful, applying yourself, building, alchemizing with two hands, we get it, and we don't see it often out and about.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 4: And so you put that in a concentrated space with all the tools and the resource and the people that you need to get things done. It's a biological thing.
Speaker 1: I think all sorts to do with the smell of the fertilizer, very earthy. I this weekend, froom's price went away on a hike. I have recently been going on little hikes. I was definitely a inside girly for my whole life, big sim's energy.
Speaker 4: I'm surprised by that because you're extremely outside. That's one thing I know about you.
Speaker 2: You're outside, You're surfy and your rollablating. What happened, Well, life humbled you.
Speaker 1: Life humbled me pretty pretty bloody art, and I said, I got to get out of here. So when I started moving my body, I went to the gym. Of course, that's yet again inside. So I've let that go and now I'm letting the elements of nature hurt me and excite me. Hated camping, but now I'm you know, I'm with a friendship group that.
Speaker 3: Likes to go outside.
Speaker 1: Okay, healthway, my friend Michelle says, I think we should go on a coastal walk. On Sunday, despite any kind of hangover, we go down to the Royal National Park, New South Wales. I'd been there once or twice. I must say everyone, this is a PSA. This is a radio wide PSA. If you are in New South Wales this weekend, if you can find a way, drive down to the Royal National Park and go to a place called Burning Palms.
Speaker 3: It is a coastal walk. You walk down.
Speaker 1: They've engineery in such a way that they have not.
Speaker 4: The engineered man made in all the right ways.
Speaker 1: And they've got like a footpath that's kind of like grippy that they've put down there. Through a path, you look, there's a big mountain, there's a sweeping beach with barely anyone on it, and then you walk through it and we're walking through this kind of like forest and there's all these little tiny shack houses and I'm thinking, what's going on? There's no roads, this is purely a bush walk. Why these little houses all of their blinds are closed right spooky. It looks like it's a house for gnomes. And there's about twenty of them scattered and the literal only way to get there is through this actual bushwalk that would take you twenty minutes to get it.
Speaker 2: It feels spooky. I don't know if I like that.
Speaker 3: It was bad jojo.
Speaker 1: However, we're on the walk, we go for a swim. It's amazing. Just now, bras like loving life. We go sits where the figure eight pools are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is what I was going to say. I'm frowning because I've made the mistake of thinking that I too want to go on a bushwalk to figure eight pools and every time it sucks.
Speaker 3: Have you done it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I hated it, I think three times in my life. And the novelty of the drive gets you really pumped and excited. Then you get out of the car want you and if you find a parking spot, you're doing the walk. And because it's destination based, I find that I just can't enjoy the journey to go to the pools.
Speaker 2: And once you get to the pools, I'm like, I gotta walk back. I don't know. It's not for me, but I like that it's for you.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Did you see all the houses when you did it? No, I must have gone a different alternate.
Speaker 2: Route because I don't know what Burning Palms is.
Speaker 1: But I will say, guys, I had to get home and once we got reception, I googled what are these All? These houses are scary And it turns out in the Great Depression in the nineteen thirties, a whole bunch of Australians moved and created shacks there because they couldn't afford the city, and the government hasn't broken the houses down or anything. So now it's just the descendants that use them as holiday houses.
Speaker 2: We're coming full circle.
Speaker 3: How incredible I do.
Speaker 2: Literally, you couldn't.
Speaker 4: Even do that these days though, if I started building private property on public land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because a national park at the time. Still it's one of the world's oldest national parks. Yeah, okay, older only by Yellowstone, guys. So if you feel like going into a slice of history Royal National Park in New South Wales, if you're coming up from Victoria or any other state, check out Burning Palms. Super creepy, super fun.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, tune in de cater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.