Speaker 1: Get a Peter Hally here and you ain't seen nothing yet. Excited about today's episode, Sam Pang has not seen the Castle.
Speaker 2: And for something a bit different.
Speaker 1: Because I have friends who are in this movie, I thought, why not reach out to them just to let them know that Sam hasn't actually seen the movie. They either made or were in good mates with Steve Curry, who of course played Dale Kerrigan. He was fantastic in this movie. And I thought, why not give cousin call and let him know that Sam, a good mate of piece as well, hasn't seen the Castle. Peter Elliott as I Stephen Curry, how are you, buddy, mate?
Speaker 2: That's carrying one? I'll get I'll get straight into this.
Speaker 1: I'm recording a podcast about Yeah, I saw, I saw a niche in the market and I I had a window some interviewing this morning Sam Pang. So the podcast is about movie classic movies that movie lovers haven't seen. I was rather shocked to hear that Sam Pang has not seen the Castle.
Speaker 3: That's so Pang. It is so Pang. I like that, like that you haven't sink because you.
Speaker 2: Think I'll find out.
Speaker 3: Because maybe maybe.
Speaker 4: Even have you have you encountered many people close to you over the years who actually have the balls to admit they haven't seen the castle.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: With my life, I'll often get people that are happy to interrupt the dinner to tell me.
Speaker 3: They have seen it.
Speaker 6: Occasionally you'll have someone who's happy to.
Speaker 2: Interrupt your dinner this stage. Sorry, mate, didn't see it.
Speaker 3: So you go, hang on, so why are we Why have you interrupted my dinner with my list to tell me if you haven't seen the film? And so what I'll do.
Speaker 6: I've got a pretty good I think I've got a pretty good bullshit radar.
Speaker 5: So if I.
Speaker 6: Picked, if I feel like they're just saying that just to kind of ruin by entree, I'll go to the s degree and I'll just say, yeah, well it's just about this and that Casis in my life, Cass, Yes, it's about this family who's sort of lived near the airport and the government want to take your house. That we're doing you one way, and you can see them starting to get a little bit more annoyed.
Speaker 3: So that's when I really.
Speaker 5: Put the big artillery out there and I say it's got Eric Banner in it.
Speaker 3: He was in a film called Chopper which is about this guy used to be like.
Speaker 6: A criminal and then finally they would just get to this point where they go so so much.
Speaker 3: I know what you talk on Australia, but you didn't.
Speaker 6: We start with the well anyway, maybe certainly's entertained Pete.
Speaker 3: That probably shouldn't be quite frankly.
Speaker 1: Well excellently, well, well, thanks for thanks for taking a call, and so to be the bearer of bad yous.
Speaker 6: Can you can you tell fampang for me that I'm very very disappuoted.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, mate, and hey, Steve yes, dug into the hole people.
Speaker 6: I realized I've just become part of your podcast with that actually knowing you.
Speaker 1: If we're going to stretch his phone call that for another forty five minutes, I've got another episode.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Oh no, bake it up.
Speaker 1: The line was so good until I asked and okay, thanks Dave, Thanks.
Speaker 2: Buddy, he's looking at your kid.
Speaker 5: I love you.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: They got me happening right now.
Speaker 3: You ain't seen nothing.
Speaker 1: Near gooday, Peter Hally here, welcome to the podcast you Ain't seen nothing yet, where I chat to movie lovers about classic movies or beloved movies.
Speaker 2: They haven't quite got around the scene until now.
Speaker 1: In today's guest Sampang, Sampang took a slow burned strategy to his entertainment career. He started comedy in the most unlikely of places, the Collingwood Football Club under nineteens, then on the tripa r and then he became in Inverted Commas an overnight sensation with his appearances on have You Been Paying Attention? Produced by Working Dog, That's Important and The Nova Brecky Show hilarious, dry and never takes a backward step. Sampang just may be the Clint Eastwood of Australian comedy.
Speaker 3: Hi everyone, I'm Sampang and my three favorite movies are Hete Brother, You are Going Down notting Hill.
Speaker 1: I just wondered whether if mister Thaka realized he'd been a daft prick.
Speaker 3: And the Canniball run we got a secret weapon God our cold payment. But up until recently, I had never seen the castle ergonomic chairs for of them.
Speaker 2: What do you want a dream? Sampang, Welcome to You ain't seen nothing.
Speaker 3: Yet, Pete. It's wonderful to be here. It's one of the few things that I've actually really looked forward to doing.
Speaker 1: Oh well, thank you, thank you. What are the joys of doing this podcast?
Speaker 3: In saying that how long is this going to take?
Speaker 2: It's three hours and I'll cut it down to a really tight twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: No, it's great because I know historically with podcasts, you know, the edit is very important. It's not like there's there's not many podcasts that just pulled out everything. I know, there's a craft and they take out everything that doesn't work or is you know, just long winded. So I really appreciate that about you in advance.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thank you. Sam.
Speaker 1: One of the great joys of this podcast, and we have recorded, you know, some in advance. That is watching movies that either I've seen before and I've loved and watching them through fresh eyes with my guests, or movies that I hadn't seen before and watching them for the first time. That's happened already a few times with The Clock of Orange and Butch Cassidy in The Sundance Kid. But The Castle is certainly a movie that I've seen many, many times. And we'll get to the Castle because obviously that's it's significant that you haven't seen The Castle. But I just want to want to go back on the film that you listed as your favorite.
Speaker 2: Heat is a classic.
Speaker 3: It's a classic, and it's you know, I like that in this modern day of digital channels and you know streaming that it's on almost every day, you know, so that's that's always handy. I don't know about you, Peter, but I remember the lead up to this movie back I think it was ninety five, and I says, I can't remember what it was, but it was massive build up. The idea that DeNiro and Pacina were going to be on the same in the same movie, on the same screen was mind blowing. And I know at the end of the day everyone knows they've been Godfather too, but different parts of that movie they never shared a scene. So it was like I could not wait for that movie and Irene I saw it twice at the cinemas.
Speaker 1: We do cover off Heat in an episode a future episode with Dave. Thoughton had never seen Heat, and I was saying the same thing to him that the lead up, the anticipation of this scene with Danira and Puccino at the diner was was huge, particularly that scene because there was one on one I.
Speaker 6: Do what I do best. It takes course, you do what you do best, trying to start guys like me.
Speaker 1: The biggest compliment I can give that scene is that it was worth every moment, like it actually did.
Speaker 2: It lived up to its expectation.
Speaker 3: That scene and that movie. Absolutely it's justified the hype. And by the way, how hard is narrow down to three just mentioning three movies? Is that's you know, that's pretty tough. But yeah, that that movie is just like you know, whenever it comes on, there's just no point where you can't like keep yeah, yeah, like wherever you come in. If you just discover it flicking around, I'm here, that's it. I'm gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Sometimes though, I will work out is that dynascene ahead of me or has it already been on? If it's already been on, I may have to get on with the rest of my day. But if it's if it's half an hour away, I will I will plant myself and wait for it.
Speaker 3: You are You're much more disciplineman than me. People.
Speaker 1: Did you have a favor a character? Look, you were you on Team de Niro or Tampa China.
Speaker 3: I was in Team de Niro. It's just cool. The Baddie. You know, I really his character really resonated with me, but Gino won me over just because of his you know, to not be out shown or outdone by de Niro, I was pretty impressive. But you know, you know, one of the funniest things I've ever heard the show in the States in Miami, and they were supporting the ice hockey. You mean ice hockey in Miami obviously not that big, and so they did a deal with the broadcast that after a goal that they would do a line for a movie. And because because the sport was so you know, it was just not on the on the radar that they were, they were just happy with any sort of promotion. So I remember hearing an audio of a goal in ice hockey where the commentator said something like, you know, Hellia goes around one, Hellia shoots and his scores, and then he was The deal was that he had to do a line from a movie, and they gave him this line. So it was like, Helly, it goes around, one goes around to his shoots, he scores. I just had Coffy with McCauley a half hour ago. That's what he had. This this brought this professional broadcast had a real game. The radio station give them all these lines, and that was one of them. Of course, you know liked Nero's N's character Neil McCauley, and I just amazing.
Speaker 2: I thought they would have gone for she had a green ass and you.
Speaker 3: Had your head all the way up. And I don't know if that made sense, but you know, hopefully it did.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I might try to track down the audio, but I appeared on your breakfast show Chrissy, Sam and Brownie on Nova in Melbourne a few weeks ago, and I forget how it came up, but I think I mentioned Nodding Hill and you concurred that it was one of the great films, one of the perfect films. And I wasn't sure at the time whether you were taking the piss. I'm glad it's been confirmed that you weren't.
Speaker 3: Hey, WHOA. I can't believe that you've had any sort of doubts about something I said, notting Hill. Notting Hill. I may have seen about thirty times. Wow, and I suppose it has to start somehow, but that seemed like, okay, I'll suspend this belief and then wow, we can enjoy the rest of the movie. Yeah, yes, and you talk about scenes that scene in the book store where Julia Roberts pours her heart out to Hugh Grant.
Speaker 7: And don't forget I'm also justin girl standing in front of a boy asking him to love.
Speaker 3: That scene is for me as watchable as Denier the Channel and heat.
Speaker 2: Wow, it is an incredible scene.
Speaker 1: And again, like the movie we're going to start discussing soon, just peppered with enough comedy to make at work. And when you can get that balance of the tag of the heart string and the tickle of the funny bone correct in the.
Speaker 3: Right proportion, absolutely, which is what not to pree it. But that's what the That's what I loved about the Castle. But we'll get to that. But I just wanted to finish too with that the Notting Hill being that scene being seminal and important to me as I was once asked to I suppose be a speaker, but it was it was a literary night, and the night was titled Unaccustomed as I am, and that was, you know, as unaccustomed as and to public speaking dot dot dot, and the premise was that all ten speakers had to just recite a famous speech from history, And I remember Julian Burnside, the great social justice quirerying man of the law. He started with the Gettysburg address, Noni Hazlehurst brought it home with Paul Keating's Red Firm speech, and a wedged him between was me giving Julia of speech from the l Notting Hill.
Speaker 2: Can you can you recite a little bit of it for us?
Speaker 3: The last bit's the best bit, it's the last most powerful bit. But just can you imagine these words? Can you imagine these words in between the Gettysburg addressed and Keating's Redfern speech, Me standing there in a packed auditorium saying these words been Hello, I'm just a girl standing in front of a boy asking him the love one.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, if anyone has video, oh what's the whole thing? I'll sit through in the Gettysburger dress. I believe in Peting's Redfern speech afterwards, just to just to hear Sam Pangus Julia Robert's.
Speaker 3: Put it this way too, in terms of like that you know the way it's described that does actually sound like perfect. And you know, I love that you appreciated it. But don't think for a second I had any idea what everyone else was doing, you know what I mean, That's just like how the how the cards fell. I didn't I knew that they were on the same night, but I didn't know what they were going to do. And it's like I just you know, in terms of speeches that were really important to me, I really like that one of them is really beautiful and that. So yeah, you get there on the night, a speaker after speakers doing these, you know, different different addresses are going Have I really made the decisions?
Speaker 2: Are you? Are you in the green room or are you watching this in the auditorium.
Speaker 3: The eight of us possibly sitting on staging chairs then getting called up one by one, so.
Speaker 2: You couldn't even do a rewrite you could have.
Speaker 3: I was going to war with you know, my great idea a few weeks ago. But anyway, like it's what I couldn't get out of it, what we're gonning.
Speaker 1: And no regrets now, absolutely not, certainly not right now. Cannonball run discuss.
Speaker 3: Important because it was I think it was maybe a teenager or that I can't remember it was or whenever. The first time I saw it, it was like I saw it with my dad and my brother and it just looked like fun. Like that isn't you talk about an ensemble cast being you know, you've made movies, you made television. They put together it's like they've just decided to grab everyone who are mates and just yeah, you can hang out for a couple of months. Here we're going to shoot this stuff. There's a Burt Reynolds, Don Delawes, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Junior playing priests to driver Red Ferrari. It's there was Roger Moore, there was that. It just looked like a fun it's just a fun movie. And it was also it was one of those ones that might have been helped for me by I Reckon. I had it in the house early on on VHS for a few listeners. That was used that the tape tape for movies and then and once yeah, if that was if you had a tape of a movie, you watched it thirty times. So we just kept on.
Speaker 1: Might only have you might only have a dozen, you know, a half dozen dozen tapes in the house, VHS tapes. So some of those were footy replays, you know, a few might be a music clip from video smash hits.
Speaker 2: And then another.
Speaker 1: You know, you might have six or eight movies a long time VHS is in our house.
Speaker 2: There was a Mamphisno River.
Speaker 1: There was National Lampoon's Vacation, A Night in the Town I remember starring Elizabeth's Shoe was it was one.
Speaker 3: I definitely had National Lampoon Vacation on VHS too, so we did. We did that plenty of times.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what a funny thing about the vacation is if you taped it off the TV, you got the Channel nine version which took all the swearing out. So did you ever watch it the non TV version is that there's a lot more swearing than I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first time you saw the version that you hadn't watched twenty times because you watched the Channel nine version was mind blow. But it's funny. But when he which is that moose, when he punches Wally, I've.
Speaker 2: Never seen my mum laugh so much. And she laughs a lot. She's a great laugher.
Speaker 1: And nothing's more contagious to me to see my mum laugh, like her whole body laughs and she starts.
Speaker 2: Crying really easily.
Speaker 1: But I've never seen laugh more than seeing John Candy on that roller coaster.
Speaker 3: I just remember Nationally and Vacation being wow. And by the way, I was still all in it European, yes, because that the game show at the start where they win the where they win the vacation pig in a poke And then what did you think about the decision to just obviously it's the right decision, but to just to just randomly keep changing Rusty and Audrey.
Speaker 1: I don't know why they did, because Michael Anthony Hall was such a good Rusty, great Rusty, you know, and maybe he was shooting Breakfast Club when they when they wanted to shoot European Vacation. I look into that, actually, I want to find out why they changing.
Speaker 2: They changed Rusty as much as Neighbors changed.
Speaker 3: It's very anyway, I was all in so yeah, Canniball run so going way back. Also, the first time ever, Pete don't know if you remember the bloopers at the end.
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe the first time I'd seen that done actually, and so that was.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, look how much the look how much fun they had making this movie because the bloopers were the credits were rolling and seeing Burt Reynolds and Don Delawise would have taken about fifteen takes for them to get the ambulance beside the side of the road scene right, and you're going, this just looks like they just laughed for two or three months.
Speaker 1: The only slight thing I'll maybe have against cannon Ball Run is you mentioned it was basically just mates hanging out making a movie together. If we didn't have cannon Ball Run, then maybe we wouldn't have grown up swamen too.
Speaker 2: I reckon Sam was taking this idea.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. And also he said, these they're all made through all legends, they're all having a good time. It feels like, and I'm not a director, but it feels like there needed to be a little a few more times where the director may have said, hey, bird, we maybe we should do that one again. We'll just do another We'll do as opposed to Yeah, that's fine, let's just get cut it roll it whatever. I reckon, I reckon. Dean Martin officially just does not know where he is at the time, which is why.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get stuck into why we are here. Mate.
Speaker 1: When you told me, when I pitched this idea to you, you were very receptive. You came up with two movies. If you remember one movie was I think Gone with the Win.
Speaker 3: Can you check what the running time of that was?
Speaker 1: It was it's three hours. I think it's three hours plus. So I think you went and checked. You found out how long it was and said I'm out. So he came in with the castle.
Speaker 3: I loved the idea. I was. It was a very quick yes, and then I thought it would be fun. You know, Gone with the Wind. You're like, how have I never seen Gone with the Wind? Have you seen On with the Wind?
Speaker 2: I have not seen Gone with the Wind?
Speaker 3: And you know, you know, it's like, you know, almost the most famous movie of all time and you haven't seen it. That'll be good. I'll watch that. And then you go to the running time, you go, oh geez, that's a pretty big commitment for a podcast. So when I saw and then you convinced me the castle. The castle's funnier for reasons I'm sure we'll get into. And then when I saw the running time at a very crisp eighty one minutes, Pete, it was a little there was a little punch in the air.
Speaker 1: And I nuzzed you towards the castle because obviously, and for those who don't know this is a podcast.
Speaker 2: Who knows where this ends up traveling to, but here in Australia.
Speaker 1: You have had an amazing career, particularly over the last ten or so years on a show called Have You Been Paying Attention, which is produced by the Working Dog Legends, who have no one's got a bigger comedy legacy in this country than the Working Dog Crew, made up of Rob Sis who directed The Castle, Tom Gleisler, who hosts Have You Been Paying Attention? The great sant Achlaro and Jane Kennedy also wrote The Castle. So you do these shows. You've done the World Cup Fever shows as well with Santo. You know you are great mates with them. They've been very supportive. How how even let's go back, Why didn't you see it? Because why do you see it when it came out? Because you're in the age bracket.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Firstly you say great friends, I say work colleagues. Nothing more, Pete in terms of what So it was seven which made me twenty three And I can't work out if you know these stages of your lives where yeah, the stages of the lives where you go in the movies all the time. Once again, everyone, this is a different time where you couldn't actually just watch every movie you ever wanted on the TV in front of you wherever you want it, but you had to go to the cinema. And I reckon it just twenty three, you know, maybe not the happiest, you know, like let's go and see a movie. Probably not with definitely not with a girl. I didn't have a girl, So it's not like we you know, it was date night or movie not or something like that. And so you know, a big commitment to just go and see it, you know, a little Ossie film at the cinemas. I don't think I was going to I was going I wasn't gonna be spending my hard earned ten dollars on going to see this movie. I reckon. Also, I don't know about you, Pet, you have the stigma attached to so once once, once it's gone from the cinemas and it gets to the video store, when it gets the blockbuster or video easy the idea that you're going into the video store with your with your you know, with your money for an overnight and you're getting an Aussie movie? Were you getting an American blockbuster? Every time I picked the blockbuster, so I just defend myself as like, yeah, I don't know why I didn't see it at the time. I reckon that. The more of the point is, how have you not seen it in the last teen as an adult with plenty of time on my hans? How have I not seen in the last ten fifteen years?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean the build up was quite big, because you know, these guys were already had amazing career as a late show, which I'm sure you watched. Or maybe I'm assuming too much. When when you started working on how You're paying attention? Did you have any idea who working Doug were?
Speaker 3: I thought guys with the comedy company. I was very disappointed.
Speaker 2: Sama Sama's on the Fruit was always my favorite character.
Speaker 3: I was a big lave show fan. Yes, and I used to listen to it on the radio.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: But now I'm having trouble defending myself as the y You just didn't go and see their first movie at the cinemas. No, I saw their second one of the cinemas. I saw The dish Peak and I loved it. Yeah, even that didn't inspire me to go back and watch the first Pie, that one that broke me.
Speaker 1: Okay, so so since then, the more like, when you started working with these icons, did you ever think to yourself, maybe I should sneak a sneak a look, just how I can say, how's the serenity with some confidence?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know once again, yeah, you start working. Santa Salmonid's Cup Fever was in twenty ten and that's the covering the World Cup with Santiathol. But it's produced by working well and every day for six weeks. And not even in the build up to that, did I think maybe just Chris watched the cast at a walking point, it's not you know, maybe you've got something to go on. I didn't do it then in there. You know, this probably says a lot of that. Not once have they you know, tested me like there wasn't early on, Like yeah, they're they're giving me little quotes from the castle to watch all their back as well. They've never because that we know them as well, but they don't care, thank you.
Speaker 2: They're extremely humble.
Speaker 3: Yes and there and they're all looking forward. So you know the fact that I hadn't seen the castle didn't obviously it didn't affect the working relationship. You know, I don't know, it didn't make it didn't mean it hasn't said, it hasn't been an issue. If anything, this podcast, if they even this could be that this could be the thing that you know it was a part.
Speaker 1: Well, I think this is probably timely now that before we get into your thoughts on the on the the movie, and this isn't I want to point out this isn't also a review podcast. We just chat about These are usually people who have just seen a movie they've never seen before. So it's us processing the films. You know, I've recorded some already. Where we start off, I'm not sure how we've thought about the film, and then we get to the end and we're like, actually, I want to watch it again. And so it's not a review podcast, but we just will chat about whatever comes our way. But I sent you a message, Sam, and I just want you to maybe play that message if you can, from one of the creators of the Castle.
Speaker 3: All right, from one of the creators.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go, Sado. So we're doing this podcast. You ain't seen nothing yet. Two movie lovers who haven't seen a classic movie. And it's you know, Judith Wlusey hasn't seen the sound of Music. Luke McGregor hasn't seen a godfather, but there was one that shocked us a little bit. A good friend of yours, somebody you've supported and you've worked with for many years, Sampang. And this is hard for me to tell you, but I don't know if you know already, but he's never seen the Castle.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: I was trying to react with surprise there, but I can't muster up any surprise because nothing about Sampang actually surprises me. When I think you maybe even asked the wrong person.
Speaker 2: Though you know I was involved in it.
Speaker 5: You know, I was the cameraman and wrote, you know, co wrote it and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: I feel a little bit.
Speaker 5: The pot calling the kettle black beest, just personally. I know every single character and every single plot line of every single Jerry Lewis and Elvis movie. But you know, I still haven't seen Crocodile Gundee. So so I wonder whether it would have been different for Sam had had Burt Reynolds played the part of Daryl and Don de Lawiz played the part of Dennis Denudo, or had the film contained the word cannon balls, I think there.
Speaker 3: Would be more chances of him watching.
Speaker 5: I hope, I hope you understand it because it's quite a complex film.
Speaker 2: First sea.
Speaker 5: You know, it's difficult plot lines, complex, complex characters. It's funny fair because you sort of you've asked the wrong person again, not just because I've got my own films that are the great films that I haven't seen, and also that we had such low expectations for the film Full Stops that there were surprised that anyone's seen it because it was sort of like it was it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, we made it as.
Speaker 5: A real movie, but it was sort of a practice movie.
Speaker 3: So the fact that it even.
Speaker 5: Got to the cinema for us is this an incredible thing.
Speaker 2: Incredible thing.
Speaker 1: So obviously you'll be seeing Sam for Have you been paying attention this week so there's no awkwardness or maybe you want to inject some awkwardness.
Speaker 2: What would you like to say to him?
Speaker 5: I'll just have to tell him. I know you haven't seen the Castle, but I've got an admission to make to you. I've only seen the episode that I did.
Speaker 2: In BBC in your Spears show if you.
Speaker 5: Made in the in the late two thousand and so I'm story I haven't seen it. I know, I know it's a great show. I know it's only been rested since I think two thousand and eight, but I think I'll have to.
Speaker 3: Admit that to him.
Speaker 2: Well, he was, he was on message with Burt Reynolds and Cannibare run.
Speaker 3: I know it's made see because you didn't know what my three movie is going to be. Sander doesn't know what they were going to be either, So well, I may not be as hard to read as I think Pete. That was great to hear from Santo, but yeah, absolutely, no apologies for me. I'm glad I haven't seen it. Now I'm actually disappointed I had.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, well what did you what did you make of it?
Speaker 3: This is this may be slightly controversial because in terms of you know, without I know, I hadn't seen the movie, Pete, but you know, it's such part of the Australian psyche and it's part of popular culture in this country that yeah, you know, I had heard that serenity thing and you know, I mean the pool room and all that sort of stuff. So yeah, I know this may be hard to hear, but can you ask me the question again?
Speaker 2: What did you make of it?
Speaker 3: I thought it was UnAustralian.
Speaker 2: Because of a.
Speaker 8: Rook needed more, needed more for and I needed like how he hasn't been involved in it, like hitting I know The Dish was their second movie, but goes to Hollywood or something like that.
Speaker 3: That would I would have watched that. Well what a surprise. Yeah, I love so I loved it. But what we were saying earlier about so, yes it's a comedy, but that that heart is there the whole movie and bud Tingle and a cad and at the end, you know, in court. Yeah, it was just a reminder of yeah, like you know, the best the best comedies are like that. They're not just a series of like funny scenes. There's a you know, there's a there's this through line or there's this heart to it that you care and you and and the themes are universal or that it makes it feel and so yeah, it was so easy to watch. As I was watching it, I was going, well, you are an idiot. How have you. I've expressed some regret for that. I you know, I've seen every series of Mine Amy Vice, but I haven't seen the Castle.
Speaker 2: You know. Well, well I'm glad we're we're rectifying that now.
Speaker 1: I obviously, I've seen it so many times, how many I reckon, I've all have seen it twenty twenty five times, and I what you say is absolutely right. It's got the perfect, perfect measure of comedy and heart. And also there's a reason for ever everything, Like there's there's so many jokes in there that they're all there for a reason and they're all earning their keep, you know. And the first ten to fifteen minutes is Steve Curry as Dale Kerrigan, you know, talking about the house and the and there's jokes everywhere, the greyhounds and the you know, the cars and the poor room and there's all it's all set up in the front of what his dad thinks of all those things and how much he loves him, and how much they love his mum's cooking and and all these things are set up.
Speaker 2: But it's all done.
Speaker 1: Really beautifully to the show how much this house means to them. And you know, you could you could argue that could have been done quicker, but why do it quicker when it's so entertaining.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny to start with the you know, like, and I'm glad you said this is not a review show. Because you know, the critiquing and reviewing is not you know, I can't. I have so much admiration for anyone who just makes something that that trumps everything. You don't how did you make anything? So I don't have the language, you know, to critique or anything. So that that that that's as good as I've got in terms of what I said before. So and that was sincere obviously not a massive surprise like it's It's beloved in this country for a reason. If I was going to revert back to form, I would have said at eighty one minutes still seemed long to me. And talks about you know, him being the cameraman on it. I did notice because he told me that he was the cameraman on it. So yeah, So I noticed that there is one shot in the whole movie, Peek, where the camera actually does anything where and it's the it's it's first it's early shot where Carrigan's talking at the house and then it and then the camera pans to the airport, right think, that's the only time in the whole movie that the camera actually moves for Santo to go around town talking about it.
Speaker 8: It was the cameraman, you go what are you talking aboutbout you?
Speaker 3: You put a camera on a tripod and then you let the actors do the thing. You're the camera man. Where you unbelievable.
Speaker 1: If if I was being generous, I would suggest that that's there were Where's Anderson?
Speaker 2: Before Where's Anderson? I was just a couple of locked up shots. You know, you're right, the camera doesn't doesn't move a lot. But you know, I.
Speaker 1: Think you'd be aware of this great comedy doesn't need the camera to move.
Speaker 2: A whole a whole bunch, and all those scenes scenes work.
Speaker 1: I think it was Woody Allen who or might have been Woody Allen or Peter Sellers who said each each time you cut, you basically take away laughs, you know, like it's it's and you look at Ricky Gervay's and Ricky Gervays there's nothing flash going on with the way he operates a camera. He just he just you know, lets the actors do to work. Let's the script do the work. So I think they had at the time, Sam to be generous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's really generous. You're you're you're really generous man. After listening what you say, I want to take it all back, and I want to acknowledge Sandy Hilaro is one of the great cinematographers.
Speaker 1: I love maybe also Sando. It's our humble Sando is he refers to himself as the camera man. I'm not the DP.
Speaker 3: He doesn't. That's because he doesn't have a language.
Speaker 1: Now, in context of watching the movie, do you have a favorite line, whether it be the Serenity you know, it's going straight to the poor room.
Speaker 2: Did one stick out more than the others?
Speaker 3: It's funny those ones are Pete, I'd heard because you know, like you said, for those who haven't or if you for listening wherever you're listening, but they may not be aware of how how big this movie is in Australian culture. So I'd heard of the Serenity House of Serenia and that's going straight to the poor room and you're dreaming. So it's funny that I probably you know quotes have stuck out for me were ones that I'm hearing these for the first time. So when when I hear it's not a house, it's a home. Yeah, the heartstrings are going Pete. And that's beautiful in this in this comedy, in this comedic film, you go, oh my god, that's like, that's just a beautiful sentiment. And then I loved it was early on, Pete, would you would you stop pretending to be on my side?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: I really like that. It was like it kind of showed. It showed that it was not simpleton, you know what I mean? He could, he could, he had like his street wise. He knew when someone was just bullshitting to him and when he was when they weren't. And found not about that. When when Darrell was trying to convince Dennis Dodo to present him in court, and he says, you know, you defended Wayne. Of course you should do this. You defended Wayne. He got eight years.
Speaker 2: I had forgotten.
Speaker 1: I'll watched it with my kids a few years ago, and I really had forgotten how much Dennis Nudo swears at that photocopy.
Speaker 6: Jesus, this photo copy is just that I cleared Trade three.
Speaker 1: Well, I love the most. I love the trading post running gag dad. Some guys sell on an overhead protector.
Speaker 5: Nah, Now, hang on, Steve, what's he asking one fifty?
Speaker 2: Tell him he's dreaming.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It pops up perfectly in so many great moments, just to just to tag a scene. And then I remember watching it in the cinema in nineteen ninety seven when it opened, and the scene like it comes back so many nice times when they're driving at Bonnie Dune and they get they got to slow down because of the there's a there's a raidar up ahead.
Speaker 2: And then he.
Speaker 1: Asked, yeah he has he has his son. How much did that cost? And he tells him just pay for itself.
Speaker 3: That was amazing. I think it was like seventy bucks or eighty bucks is like adding it just paid for itself.
Speaker 1: And then when the the goon comes to their house and you know it says take you know, take the offer, don't make any trouble. And then Steve's his name is Steve Kerrigan comes up with the rifle and I remember I remember the audience cheering during that. It was a pack center that they were cheering. And then is if that wasn't funny enough and great enough. Then they go into Dalkerrigan, you know, blasting him. You know, I said no more guns in the house, which is a really you know, full on thing. You know, their sons in jail for armed robbery. I said, no more guns in the house.
Speaker 2: How much did you pay for it?
Speaker 3: Was I just I couldn't believe. Just there was so many jokes in it. There's just so many, so many laughs in it. It's like, yeah, that's a fair effort for what. Did Santo describe it as a practice movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's basically saying they did this to make money so they can make the dish, which was their ultimate kind of ambition. And it was done in eleven days for a million bucks, which is just incredible and to the point where they were doing things to save money, like Santa his dad's a lawyer.
Speaker 2: Dennis de Nudo's office is Santo's dad's office.
Speaker 3: Yes, there were bits, So what is it. I've worked with them for a decade now and you just hear stories and so yeah, I could see bits of them in the movie. So yes, I knew Santa's dad or you know, I've met Santa's dad. Can can he pull off a cream suit? By the way, mister, I knew that he was he was a lawyer. I could see even when they go fishing, Pete, you know that Rob and Tom you know that they're fishing, is a bit kind of so that you know, so that you know about Riot or film what you know, like so when they're doing fishing scenes that they know what the you know, they know what they're talking about. The details are spot on because they know straight away. Same with the law. Did you know that? Do you know that Santo and Tom studied law, they studied law together?
Speaker 1: Well, yes, yes, that was kind of part of the the Djen kind of folklore that I think they met in at Melbourne UNI.
Speaker 3: Yes, because me and Cindy always think what a missed opportunity that because because the Celaro lies in the law firm could really have been one of the great that's that's a sliding doors moment and the jury is still out as to whether the right decision was made. Yes, it was great to see. It was great to see that those those guys like parts of their lives so clearly in the movie.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it was.
Speaker 1: It was such a beloved and instantly it felt like an instant classic when it came out. Do you remember there being some kind of you know, people who thought it was looking down it was kind of punching down. But if you know, if you exactly what you just said, if you know Rob and Tom and Sano and Jane, you can completely see this is their movie, and this comes from a very personal place. I think Jane actually lived near an airport, like so I imagine that's made where the idea came from, which she was growing up. So it's it's I it's a very personal movie. Let's talk about some of the performances. It's perfectly cast. I guess that does get spoken about it, but maybe not enough. Everyone is so good in this movie, like Michael Kayton, it's as good as a performance that's ever been seen in the Strain movie, I think. And that's with considering Paul Hogan, you know, Tony Collette, Mirror's wedding, It's it's it's a masterpiece.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who's serious, you know all the big ones. Yeah, he is amazing because he obviously carries the film, but with this amazing cast and great performances. But yeah, he's he's there the whole way. Are you ever to work with you?
Speaker 2: You would have done with Michael Kateon or Yeah, who's serious?
Speaker 3: I go with you don't much Cayton's time, No, I actually haven't.
Speaker 2: I haven't I've met him, but I'll be very quite briefly.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, doing radio interviews and TV stuff over the years, but never spent much time with him.
Speaker 3: Sadly, you know, yeah, the young Eric Banner, Sophie Lee dephen Carry who obviously good frame is amazing, and I.
Speaker 1: Gotta say, I think it's worth pointing cars out. I think he is so good in the I think I said they're all good, They're all great. But I think Cauz is you know, if Daryl's not you know, if Daryl's not the heart of it, and he probably is that then and Becuz as as Dale Kerrigan is a close second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bud Sing well, yeah, I think Jane cast it, so she did an amazing job. This is, by the way, who what if? I yeah, this is this is coming dangerous and close to critiquing Pete.
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: It's only critique if there's if there's criticism, and this is all praise for these for these acts.
Speaker 2: This is Eric Banner's debut, a film debut.
Speaker 1: I think you've done the frontles and yeah, yeah, his debut and that scene when he's chatting, when he's chatting about coming back from the honeymoon and all the airplane stuff. The movies they watch and CAUs is just just obsessed with finding out what movies they watched.
Speaker 2: Is just hilarious.
Speaker 3: Twister and Jim the Big Two drive in those two. Yeah. I I wrote down a couple of other things. They just some you know some, there's some almost some you know word association, the kickboxing groom on.
Speaker 1: The cake and and and then the kickboxing down at Bonnie Bonnie Dune.
Speaker 2: With this with his with his father in law just looking on admiring.
Speaker 3: As the new bride holds the bag. I don't know why. Just fake chimney made me laugh. Fake chimney. Yeah, and I'm sure this is not the first time it's been celebrated. But jousting sticks, that is amazing, Dad, But.
Speaker 2: Jousted sticks tell him he's dreaming.
Speaker 3: How much is jousing stick worth that.
Speaker 2: I've couldn't be more than two fifty And of the condition I never hear jousing sticks ad Middly.
Speaker 1: It's not something you hear a lot, but I never hear justin six without thinking of the castle.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: Also the effort they have to go to to get to the the back.
Speaker 2: Car in the driveway, the amount of cars they have to move.
Speaker 1: Steve, could you move the Camira I need to get the tarana around so I can get to the commodore.
Speaker 3: I have to get the keys of courteen if I'm going to move that camera.
Speaker 2: You watch the boat mate, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, And it's it's really those things are such a different time, and yet they're still kind of it's still around, it's still relevant today. It's still easily identifiable it. So that's that's amazing. I will say this too, I reckon, you're not not having It's probably the worst adaptation of Karka's nineteen twenty six book ever.
Speaker 1: He's come with a he's finishing off with a high brow just a balance up the cannonball run.
Speaker 3: Listen, I don't mind and full disclosed for you. You know that, you know that I googled that. I went, I went. But if you google, if you put the Castle into Google, the movie is not the first thing that comes up. It's's novel from nineteen twenty six. And I thought, yeah, I'll just I'll write that down then use that when I've got nothing else to say with Pete.
Speaker 1: Well, that possibly is a lovely place to wrap this up. It's been, it's been, you know, it's always a joy to chat with you.
Speaker 2: When we find the time.
Speaker 1: But this this felt like a special some special time spent.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. You know you probably could tell immediately how excited, how genuine I thought in terms of what a good idea this is, and I was looking forward to doing it with you. But this is this is a wonderful time to spend with you, because I don't get enough of it. And the last time we did do it, we did an episode of paying attention and it was great to have a few beers afterwards in the green room, to the point where it was on a Sunday night where I had to leave my car there, do the right thing, get an uber home, then before radio next morning, get an uber to the two channel ten and just do a walk of shame to my car. It's genuine and I enjoy spending time with you. But that was that was I did, mate. It was did I come? Did we cover everything? We did everything?
Speaker 2: Well, if you have anything else, please throw me.
Speaker 1: There is one a little the fact which is quite interesting, particularly for Australians listening, which will be the blog majority. I imagine Dennis Denudo's bm Black BMW. At the end, this is all goes to working dog trying to save money and you know, calling favors belong to Eddie maguire.
Speaker 3: Did it really? Well, that's actually that's that's now that I know that that has dated because knowing those guys right now, if they shut that movie, Pete, they could have chosen any of about eight.
Speaker 1: And the reason the reason the family is called the Karrigans is so they could match up. There was a Caragan toe trucking company, so they could match up the trucks. They could get the Caragan branding on the trucks. So that's you know, that's how you make a movie for a million bucks.
Speaker 3: Well, that's you know, yes, you celebrate and appreciate how resourceful they work. And hearing these things, Pete, this makes me think, I can't believe that that they're not in it, that you know, to save to save money on actors, that Tom Santo and Rob are not in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good it's a good point.
Speaker 1: Tony Martin pops up in the end as the as Charles bud Tingwell's barrister son.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if you saw him at the party at the end.
Speaker 3: I saw it, and only because I know you're here this I want to say that he almost single handled it. Brought down one of one of my favorite films ever. Like to do so much damage was so little was an amazing effort. And yeah, like Rob, Rob's a great actor, but probably for the best. Santo and Tom aren't in it, to be honest. Otherwise Santo, Tom and performance, we may not be here talking about this movie. People.
Speaker 1: Well, Tom famously in Frontline played the photocopy of repair Man and only had I think one line, which you I think either finished an episode or even the series, which was It's fixed.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you, I'll tell you we possibly finger this, but I'll tell you how bad an act Tom Bleisner is. They they did a show called Funky Squad.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Tom was in it.
Speaker 3: He played a character called Poncho. I think this is how bad an actor he was. His character didn't have to do any lines because they wrote in so that his character had his tongue shot out in a line of duty. So Tom didn't have any lines because his character didn't have a tongue. Ra had a bullet and he's done or something like that.
Speaker 2: Going wow, going to remember the line being he got shot in the tongue?
Speaker 3: Is did I get did I get to know of the character? I was a poncho?
Speaker 1: I believe so, Yes, I don't have the quite the encsychopedic knowledge of Funky Squad as I do maybe some of their other works, but I believe yes, and punch he got shot in the tongue.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think I've I think I've been sincere enough and given it. It's but then, you know, I can't so boring to just say how great are these guys and how good is this? So I think Tom and and Alkopterer. I think Rob's got off scot free. So I'll just say I thought the direction was poor.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you know, the cameraman has to you know, follow the director's you know, wishes. So if you're saying it coming in to move, maybe it's you know, Santo and Rob take half the blame.
Speaker 3: What I can't think of a better way to finish by just bagging bagging them all.
Speaker 2: I know we've do about three or four finishes. It's doning to feel like a Star Wars film.
Speaker 1: But I want to point out whether we spoke about the performances and an Tanny is fantastic as Sol and Sophie as his Sophie Lee. I mean we did briefly mention Bud ting well, but I really laughed. I watched it again this morning. I really laughed at his listening to Daryl Kerrigan, and there's been careful not to insult Denniston, you know, like just his' I'm not wanting to bag him out, just like yeah, so I'm not sure if he's across constitutional law.
Speaker 2: It was such a beautiful comedic performance understated.
Speaker 3: That was that was wonderful and it reminded me to it. He was very gentle with when when he was listening, which was beautiful, funny and also I should mention too. Then Dennister nudos the two notes that Dennis Neudo passed budzing Wile in the court drink of water question mark and then effing brilliant like I could you know, if you love that movie, I could like in terms of you know, I have your bigger memorabilia, but having those two having those two pieces of paper I would have that would be upframed in my office. I mean, if I had anything to do with that movie like that.
Speaker 1: That just well, well, I've had a good laugh today with you, mate, and mainly I think it's been it's been review ish. We've had some laughs, we've sung some praise. I've seen the internal struggle that you've had throughout this. But then I think that's going to really shine through. It's going to be the vibe.
Speaker 3: It's a vibe. Yeah, there's another one I didn't It's much like the serenity and the pool room and the dreaming. The vibe I've been hearing out for twenty years and now now I've finally seen it in its natural environment in this in this wonderful movie.
Speaker 2: Good on you, mate, Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: Thanks Bete, well, that was a lot of fun catching up with Sam Pang talking about the castle. As soon as he told me he hadn't seen it, I was so excited and kind of pounded in to make sure we got that conversation going. So thanks Sam for joining us. Christy, Sam and Brownie check that out. Have you been paying attention on channel and of course the front bar. Email us if you like at Yasney Podcasts at gmail dot com. Let us know what you thought of the show, whould you like us to get on the show, and anything movie related.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear from you.
Speaker 1: You can also like and subscribe and follow us on all the social media, all the things we encourage you to do. All the details are in our show notes. I want to thank Derek Myers, my podcast manager, Casaways Studios dot com dot Au. Also, I should point out that this episode with Sampang was actually recorded during isolation, so you may have noticed the quality of the episode that the sound quality wasn't as good as what you're hearing right now and in other episodes. So there are a handful of episodes that were recorded in isolation.
Speaker 2: I'll let you know when those ones come up.
Speaker 1: Also, the team at circus Tree Sounds, Tom Witty and Jimmy Saunders do an amazing job if you're after scores for film, TV ads or even your podcast Circustresounds dot com. And I should point out that Jimmy Saunders from Circustreet Sounds actually stitched this show together.
Speaker 2: So thanks Jimmy, You're a champion.
Speaker 1: Thanks for our Dan Movies our sponsors great to have you on board. Dan Movies dot com dot Au. Check them out. Nobody beats Dan's on price. Next episode, we have a wonderful actress, Pia Miranda, who burst into our scenes years ago.
Speaker 2: In Looking for Ala.
Speaker 1: Brandy also won Australian Survivor Amazing Effort.
Speaker 2: Pe Miranda, she is fantastic.
Speaker 1: I've had the pleasure of working with Pea before and she has never seen the notebook. I would have thought she had for some reason, I have her peg. There's a romantic film fan, but it's not the case. So you've never seen a notebook. So we get our mccadams and gosling on in the next episode of You. You ain't seen nothing yet, see then, hmm.
Speaker 2: And so we leave old Pete safe and soult and
Speaker 1: To our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good night.