Speaker 1: Could I Peter Halley here, hosts of You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet?
Speaker 2: We have some classic replay episodes over a couple of weeks, just while we get the season six all kind of up and going. Some great episodes coming up, some great new guests Lucky Hume, Ryan Sheldon and Michael Hing, as well as some returning guests. We've got Ross Noble and Alexi Tollyopolis, among others. But I wanted to play some episodes to highlight some of the people touring around at the moment. I've alviously got my show touring at called Deconstructed Oragami around the country.
Speaker 1: Please come and check it out.
Speaker 2: I would love you to get tickets at comedy dot com dot Au. You can also get tickets for today's guest as well. I love this episode if you Ain't Seen Nothing Yet. It's with Tom Ballard, one of the sharpest comedians on the scene, and he watched one of my favorite films for the first time and kind of loved it. So enjoyed his episode. Tom's new show is called It Is I. It's playing around the country. If you haven't seen Tom before live, then go checking him out. If you have seen him, well you know what to expect, and that is some comedy. Enjoy this replay from Tom Bellard and in Bruges and you won't say nothing yet, go ahead make.
Speaker 3: My day.
Speaker 4: Schewingum online.
Speaker 3: I hope you brought enough for everybody.
Speaker 5: There's only one man who would dare give me the raspberry lone stars haven't.
Speaker 1: Any right now?
Speaker 4: You don't say nothing here.
Speaker 2: Tom Ballard has been delivering master class of stand up comedy for years now. Tom burst onto the Melbourne scene at the age of eight for Memory, seemingly a fully formed, worldly in season comic with a whole lot on his mind. He began on Radio and Warnable until eventually finding himself on the Jays for seven years. I believe he was twelve when he left for Memory. Tom has been a regular fixture on the Australian comedy scene as well as on our screens, hosting such shows as Reality Check and Tonightly with Tom Ballard.
Speaker 1: He even hosted Q and eight.
Speaker 2: He's also appeared on The Projects and Hughey, we have a problem amongst the all those other Channel ten shows. Tom's recent show We are All in This Looking back at the cluster fuck that was twenty twenty was bold, brilliant and one of the best live stand up shows I've ever seen. Whilst many comics weighed up just how much COVID their audiences could handle, Tom jumped right in.
Speaker 1: But it was never just about looking back.
Speaker 2: It was just as much about the future as it was about what had just happened. Tom Ballard is brave, intelligent and not as angry in person as you might expect, And I'm bloody stoked he's with me today.
Speaker 1: Tom aw.
Speaker 3: Hello, Peter, Hi everyone, My name is Tom Ballard. My top three films are you know? The Classics? I Love You Too, How To Stay Married and The Project.
Speaker 4: But when I'm not watching them, it's probably Return of the Jedi.
Speaker 2: Your Imagination, The Matrix, Free Your Mind Ed Hook.
Speaker 4: You are a very poor role model for these kids, do you know that? And until recently I had not seen In Bruges.
Speaker 2: Yes, the brilliant Carter Burwell's eerie Gothic score is almost a character in Irish playwrights Martin McDonald's feature film directorial debut two thousand and eighth's dark comedy in Bruges, But as far as actual characters go, Ray and Ken, Colin Farrell and Brennan Gleeson, both brilliant have been given instructions to hide out in the quaint little Belgian town of Bruges and await further instructions from their boss Harry after an assassination attempt goes wrong. Kenny's quite having this gothic fairy tale, happy to take in the history, the art, the culture, whilst Ray is clearly more anxious, bored and fidgety. He's a man looking for distractions to numb the pain of his horrific rookie era.
Speaker 1: He finds this.
Speaker 2: Somewhat in Chloe Clemens Posey, a local woman who deals drugs with the local film crew, and Jimmy in Angry drug using party intent, racist dwarf played by Jordan Pretens, not Peterdinkliche in Bruce is massively written and executed. The dark tale about the weight of gilt, the power of redemption, and the reminder that nobody swears quite like the Irish Tom Ballard. You've played some sleepy towns, I'm sure on too. Have you ever played in Bruges to Bruges never.
Speaker 3: Never, never looked, never be to Belgium in any way whatsoever.
Speaker 4: No, but I did enjoy this, this beautiful Christmas film.
Speaker 1: This is like the new die Hard is in Bruce a Christmas film.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I do believe that they had.
Speaker 2: To keep up the decorations out of season to make this film. They've explained to the townspeople, this is why we're keeping the decorations up. And I do know that the mayor of this town did say after the film came out that they're going to be more discerning as to who they allow to film in Bruce from now on. Well, this film weighed on your you know, on your mind, like it must get to film or this.
Speaker 4: It was it was always this, Yes, it was.
Speaker 3: It was just it was yes, two thousand and eight, and I remember it being mentioned again and again again. I remember thinking Colin Farrell was a bit shit. I don't know what really what my basis was that maybe.
Speaker 2: Well, but then Colin Farrell was you remember Chris Rock at the Oscars and he made that joke about if you can't afford Russell Crowe, you get Colin Farrell. So he was a little bit he came he kind of hot, and then it was like very much. He got a reputation as being the womanizer. Yes, and let's started making contionhit films. That's what was really bad, wasn't it. Yeah, he makes a big action films, went for those big films and then and then it was a bit of a down with memory. This might have been the film that kind of brought him back, because you want to go him globe for this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Wow, he's amazing in this. He's incredible in this. He's so funny and so duck and just yeah, just brilliant. And then is brilliant again in Seven Psychopaths, the next Martin McDonough film. So anyway, but I couldn't figure out what it was like. No one could explain to me what this movie really was about, and so it just sort of was one of those things that fell by the way and it felt like yeah, cool hips to people might mention they've seen him Bruges.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, I don't really get it.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Fast forward years later and I'm getting a bit more into theater and playwriting and reading stuff, and I hear about this Martin McDonough.
Speaker 1: Guy.
Speaker 4: I happened to watch seven Oh No. I saw Three.
Speaker 3: Billboards of course, and I love that, love that film. So it was so funny and dark and fucked up and so genuinely edgy, and maybe something we can talk about is just how non pc mcdonnery is and how he plays with it.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure what you're talking about. I thought it felt very tweets any one and quite woke.
Speaker 4: And I love it.
Speaker 3: I love that you tell he doesn't give a fuck. Yeah, so yeah, I love that film. Wander to find out more about this guy, and then yeah, watch Seven Psychopaths.
Speaker 4: Absolutely love that film.
Speaker 3: And then when this opportunity came up, I was like, put me down for im Bruges, please.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited when you chose it one because I thought you would love it. And we'll get to that very soon. But so it's actually I'm not sure what number of like it's in my top fifteen. I would say, yes, I saw it in the cinema on the advice and I'm about to drop a name. Joel Legend had said to me. Joel Legend had told me I think he had worked with Martin McDonough and they said, go see this film. It hasn't come out yet, but he's an amazing playwright. I've worked with him and it's going to be great and so and it blew me away. So about your three favorite films I Love You Too, let's talk about it. Writing, yes, performances, it's a it's an asolute master class.
Speaker 1: Enough.
Speaker 2: I did mention Peter Dinklage in the opener because when we were making I Love You Too, and Peter thinklish was in that film. He he told me, he told me a story that he that everyone thinks he's the guy he's.
Speaker 1: Jimmy in in.
Speaker 2: Bruce like, yeah, this is back then before he did Game of Throne, so I imagine it's changed quite a bit. But it got to the point that whenever somebody came up there and said a man, I love you any Bruce, Yeah, and you just go, oh, mane. It was great to make and Colin Farrell is an absolute blast and we had a really fun time making that film. Okay, thank you buy. So when I was a bit fitter, I got it a lot with Joel Greesa, just tell us these days ago, No, no, we don't.
Speaker 1: Lockdown was tough and everyone mate.
Speaker 2: Return of the Jedi, Yes, this is fascinating. So we've discussed Star Wars with Wiley Lee on this show, and he's returning very soon to do Empire Strikes Back and this is and Star Wars has a people.
Speaker 1: We had Adam Christie, who's a Canadian commedity.
Speaker 2: He did War Street, and he made the point that isn't like Star Wars in everybody's top three, but everyone's just like it's like the most successful film of all time.
Speaker 1: The biggest impacts is you know pop culturally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody puts it in their top three, so you'll bypass Star Wars and New Hope and going straight for a Return of the GEDI explain.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess it is derided a bit or not derided, but yeah, people either say yeah if I strikes Back or do you hope? Other other superior films. All I can say is that the level of imagination. I think the imagination is a theme across these three films for me. But the way that that film captured my imagination. I guess I watched it because it's like eighty eight or something. Is it eighty seven round then?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So obviously so I was born in eighty nine, so I'm not watching it till I guess the late nineties really technically, so there's no reason why I'd watched that earlier than all the others.
Speaker 4: But anyway, from the from the get go, from.
Speaker 3: The rescue of Hard Solo from from jabb or the revenge of like the Jabba Palace sequence, I just like my mind was blown. It's an adventure. It looks fucking cool. I thought it was really funny. I like the Ewoks. They probably are a very cynical merchandise exercise, but I think they're really cute and great. And I guess just the drama, the Shakespearean drama of that final confrontation and Darth Vader's decision to find the good within him.
Speaker 4: I was terrified of Faalatine.
Speaker 3: He was the scariest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. It's just like an incredible adventure from go to woh.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm, you know, a massive Star Wars fan, and I love Return of the Jedi. I particularly love the first half, like the whole Jabbaz Palace thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I literally you.
Speaker 2: Know, when The Mandalorian was released and they had that final little teaser, yes, which takes place a Jabba's Palace for the next series they're going to be doing, I literally punched a Yeah. It was so good to be back in Jabba's Palace for some reason, you know, and I just loved it. I remember seeing it twice at the cinema, I think maybe on the same day, but like or the next day, and I was sitting there watching it, and a guy the second time, and when Luke enters in the in the club, you're not sure who who it is, and a guy behind.
Speaker 1: Me went start fader, and I just went, no, it's not what a prick. Yeah, yeah, it's our podcast about spoiling movies.
Speaker 4: Really talking drink.
Speaker 1: It's an ad.
Speaker 2: It's at the man Let Peerlindine do their job.
Speaker 1: But it is it is.
Speaker 2: It is a fantastic ride, and it often doesn't get put in. Empire is the one that I think people will gravitate towards. But often, you know, you don't hear Return of the Jedi. Everyone loves it, you know, but it's usually either Star Wars or Empire.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think my brother is quite a purist too, and I think he always.
Speaker 2: Looked his nose down, down his nose a little bit of the Return of the Jedi, maybe thought it was too easy. And I remember I remember loving the Ewoks, you know, when it happened. I think maybe over the years I grew a little bit when I heard about maybe the toy, you know, merchandise side of it, that I grew a little bit more cynical about them. But I think that was a lot of that was in hindsight. I think at the time I just was all in for theox one.
Speaker 3: I think maybe, yeah, if you were, like if you were slightly older, and yeah, you've been through the coolness of New Hope and by strikes back, you might look at the C three po being hailed as a god by these little ewoch things that are going what are we doing here?
Speaker 4: Like why why isn't someone killing someone with the lightsaber?
Speaker 2: Or It is a reminder, though, when people talk about the new films and they get you know, they get their arguments online that these films were made for kids.
Speaker 1: Really, that's not true. How have you taken the latest, you know, the new Star Wars?
Speaker 3: I really I watched them all again recently in my endless quest to procrastinate from achieving anything, and even Solo really.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 2: I don't think it was as bad as I thought it was the first time I watched it, but it didn't quite capture my heart and my soul.
Speaker 3: And they were they were all actually great fun. I thought the final three were.
Speaker 4: The fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the most recent sort of Free is part of the trilogy. I just watching them back to back. I just had a lot of fun. I think Snoke was a bit stupid and weird. And you do sort of notice these competing visions of the various directors, and you, I guess, knowing what we know about the tension, about the direction that certain films went, that you it can feel a little bit uneven, But I don't know, it's fun, that's really all for me.
Speaker 2: The lack of synergy between the three films, like the communication between JJ Abrams and Ryan Johnson kind of really surprised me to learn that there wasn't a whole lot of discussion about what you're doing and where's it's going to go, and like and being part of the Disney family, you think, well, there, Marvel's part of that family. They have executed this amazing whatever it was nineteen film mark.
Speaker 1: Yes, it worked brilliantly.
Speaker 2: Surely you tap Kevin Fag on the shoulder and say, can you run your eyes over this?
Speaker 1: And you know, any ideas you have or have you any any pointers. That's the only thing. But I love for the thing I love about Force Awakens.
Speaker 2: It felt like a Star Wars film kind of immediately for me, where I think some of the prequels going oh, this feels like it's it's I can see it Star Wars, but it feels different for some reason and not in a great way. And this felt Force Awakens straight away. I like, I like the last stupid that don't Yeah, I know people, but I always go well. He brought up a good point which has kind of a few times since sometimes I guess has raised it the idea that what does the Empire actually want? Like it's not actually defined. It's basically just good and bad. And that's I think when you think about Star Wars, that's all it is.
Speaker 1: It's good and bad.
Speaker 2: And I think that's that's why when people complain, like in The Men Laurie and look Skywalker's back, it's.
Speaker 1: Like, can we just move on from school? No? Because this is the guy.
Speaker 2: This is the guy and kind of like Dart Bade and Palpatine, they're like the other dudes on the other side, like the shadow is his looms large so you're always gonna come back.
Speaker 3: It's like that join me, like will rule the galaxy? Like what does it actually look like Invader's head? Like what is a successful administration of the galaxy? And what does he do for fun? And like how does he pleasure himself? Because it's just being evil is the being evil?
Speaker 2: Being evil is the thing never and sitting and getting the best arm chair in the galaxy. Basically, But I really love, I love, I really enjoyed the Rise of Skywalker. I watched it, I said a couple of times in the cinema, and I left it for a while and I revisited, i think during lockdown, and this really enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: The choice to make Skywalker like the cynical burnt out like that was very It was very jarring initially and very weird, but I thought, yeah, it paid off the end.
Speaker 2: Incredible shaking people after last year. I'm saying that the story's not over yet. Let it still who knows what's going to happen? And I actually thought maybe he wasn't he was going to come back. This part of me thought, well, you know, who knows. Sure he disappeared off that rock, but maybe it's a Jedi mind trick or something anyway, and.
Speaker 3: Then the prequels, which I can look back now and go, these are not so great, but my my memory and my sentiment with those films is incredible because I went to like Midnight premieres in ninety nine with my brother in the cinema, and that was the most like on a school night, that was the most exciting thing that ever happened, staying up till midnight.
Speaker 4: The movie started at midnight, which is the scariest hour of all.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: And then you know the pod racist stuff. It doesn't do much plot wise or anything, but it's it was cool.
Speaker 4: It was fucking cool. It exilt.
Speaker 2: I remember walking out of a fan of man it's actually kind of thinking it was. You know, it was a good Star Wars as much as I just said the whole you know, the whole thing that times didn't feel like exactly what Star was in the same way I think the Force Awakens achieved, but I still walked out going nah, I think it was just good to have been that world again. The Attack of the Clones is the one that let's the prele because I think Revenge of the City is good. I think Revenge of the City is the best of of the three, actually, right, And I think Take of the Clones is just you know, it's just all about red tape and administration. Really, I mean it's it's I find it quite dull. But all right, Return of the Jedi done. And your second one little film called The Matrix.
Speaker 1: The Matrix, Yes, ever heard of it? Uh No?
Speaker 2: I discussed it with Kitty flannag and we may need your help to completely understand that. We still wrestled with it a little bit. I remember seeing it at the cinema and knowing that we had just seen something revolutionary.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, Matrix Revolutions, I mean, yeah, what can you say? Just an incredible mind bending film that I can watch, I can watch again and you know, a million times. And it was so it was so cool, it was so smart. It was it was simultaneously this like existential exploration of the self and reality with like cool action sequences and bullets and stuff, and like kung fu.
Speaker 1: That's what I love about.
Speaker 2: You can you can watch all the three Matrix movies, and there's another one coming out soon and really delve into what it means. Or you can just watch it and going this is a really cool film. It's great, Yeah, totally, And I.
Speaker 1: Probably was more on that side as to completely.
Speaker 2: I got lost in the weeds a little bit at times, and even revisiting is the one film I was a bit nervous about because I know how they'll get about the Matrix, and I'm like, oh, I think I understand it. So if I was asking you what is the matrix? Go what is the actual matrix? What is the actual matrix?
Speaker 3: The Matrix is a virtual reality created by artificial intelligence to keep human beings distracted while they kill us and use our body mass as energy in order to survive.
Speaker 1: Connor White, Scott Morrisson is doing. Am I right? Am I right? Andrew Bolts called into a podcast RM. We didn't even have a phone number. And then I like the other two films got me crazy.
Speaker 2: They're great, and I went further like going, I think I started making that point after more so with the sequels. They're just cool films, chases and you know, it's awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fucking great.
Speaker 3: And the architect thing, yeah blew my mind. And I didn't get it at all, and I was scared and confused. But then you watch it a couple more times, you go, oh, yeah, it all makes sense. He's just saying it in a weird way. But you know, that is an incredible twist that this has happened multiple times, and the human beings, the nature of human beings cannot be solved, and you can't and even a highly intelligent computer cannot create some world that will fool every single human being all the time because there is something else, there is something within us yearning for freedom that will inevitably fuck up the matrix, which means that the one is created, then they have the revolution, and then it all happens again.
Speaker 4: It just repeats, It repeats again, again and again.
Speaker 2: Were surprised that counter Reeves understood all of that.
Speaker 3: I've never seen Hill and so he is like neo to me, Like, that's what was my introduction?
Speaker 4: Like that was got you?
Speaker 2: I knew from Yeah, I knew from point Break was well my actual reference point, but also Parenthood. He was so good in Parenthood. Break comedy really still stands up today. It's really great. But yeah, but I think I joke about that because I remember when he was on Row Live rode through that question what he's the major, and he just had his answer, you know, like and he just knew and I think it. And then I kind of got a bit more interested in Keanu Reeves and he's actually like a really intelligent dude. Yeah, he just played a lot of dumb roles leading into the matrix. So he was a bit of a mind bending as mind bending is. The idea itself was like, can it Reeves is across this?
Speaker 3: I was obsessed, Like I watched all the like you know, on the DVDs, had all these extras like how it was made and what was going on in the process behind it. Wachowski's were fascinating figures. I was fascinated by their brain, how much thought they put into this. They always conceded as a trilogy, which was incredible that they always had that was the pitch for it, So to be able to do that it was amazing.
Speaker 4: And then Cloud Atlas, to me is extraordinary. I love that film.
Speaker 3: Right, A lot of people think of shit, but I just think that an incredible film. Jupiter Ascending is one of the worst films I've ever seen in my entire life. So like, who are these Yeah, these these siblings who were able to I don't know, kick it out for Bendetta.
Speaker 1: Even Debt is great.
Speaker 3: Yes, I like that and and races that racist ones all right, yeah, but yeah, Cloud out List to me is yeah, that that is extraordinary film.
Speaker 2: My any criticism of the Matrix is they could have got rid of the Commonwealth Bank logo that you see in one of the final scenes shot in George Street and sorry.
Speaker 3: I once I did a work experience at Melbourne Theater Company when I was at a high school because I was very cool and Belinda McLaury was in the play that I was. Work experience at MTC means you sit there and you watch them rehearse. Just the easiest work experience of the world. And Belinda McClory was in it and she plays I believe switch right in the place. So so just the fact that I was like near someone that was in the Matrix was like, yeah, an incredible moment for me because it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all shot in the citney right and carry on.
Speaker 2: Moss was just awesome in that that was the first time we saw I became away of Moss and she was She was in Memento too, and that's kind of the ones that I know where's she got. I don't know. I'm sure she's done some other stuff. I think I think Catherine Keena started stealing all her roles personally, or maybe that was already happening beforehand.
Speaker 4: Do you think the fourth one will or can possibly be good?
Speaker 2: I I often think things are bad ideas, and I get proven wrong constantly. From Dancing with the Stars, which I called the Daryl Summer's Dance Show and became one of the you know, one of the giant hits it around the world Transformers, I was like, this can't work. Maybe he's going to see this and one of the biggest movie franchises of all time. So like that heresy Jake about studying computing at university, there's no money in this. I could have gone either way, so I want nothing past.
Speaker 1: Of the Macasics are involved. I imagine they're doing it.
Speaker 4: I think both, I think both of them.
Speaker 1: Maybe was one of them right.
Speaker 3: But Lily Wachowski produces Work in Progress, which is an incredible TV series that everyone should watch. I forget the name now, but it's centered about this lesbian woman who's like a legend in the Chicago improv scene, and it follows her experience of dating a trans man and had this sort of midlife crisis. Basically, she has this box of almonds and she's going to eat an almond every day, and if at the end of eating all the almonds she's still not happy, she's.
Speaker 4: Going to kill herself.
Speaker 3: That's the initial premise that comes into the show. Anyway, extraordinary show, Working Progress that everyone should check out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are a activated of the armors. Where can you see it? You know that's on stand stan all right, Working Progress? Check it out.
Speaker 2: Finally, Hook is a movie that has come up before, and I must say I haven't seen it, even though it's been suggested to me.
Speaker 1: Mark Humphreys had this in his top three.
Speaker 3: I was literally listening to this on the way here, and I had About a Boy, the Grant film in my top three. I love that film endlessly, both for the soundtrack for what it is, and I think Hugh Grant has never been better than in that film. And Nicholas Holt is adorable, and Tony cl It gives a standard performance.
Speaker 2: And he's one of that sounds rape but badly. John Boy is just one of the complete kind of efforts.
Speaker 4: Perfect in every way.
Speaker 3: And but then Mrcovery is mighty be no hook is my Princess Bride is the millennial Princess Bride. It is an extraordinary film that is funny and just unbridled imagination that I could watch a million times.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that absolutely has.
Speaker 2: To be my top for reasons. I have no idea why. I just have not seen it, and I I will, I will now, an't they? Yeah, Yeah, it's it's Oscar Mike, it's Robin Williams, Steven Spielberg's restricted it. Yes, yes, And there's no reason why should have seen this film. It doesn't Huffman's incredible.
Speaker 4: It's just.
Speaker 3: And I remember you guys talking with with MRC Comfrey is about like, you know, Robin Williams doing Robin Williams is Peter Pan. But I guess in every other representation of Peter Pan, Peter Pan doesn't seem that fun or like he's a little boy, but like what does that actually mean? Like he's not playing pranks or anything. Really, he's just a boy who doesn't want to grow up. And I guess Robin Williams is that. I guess he was Jack as well. Right, this is adult man who has the spirit of a boy within him. So he's the perfect choice and his rediscovery of his inner child. That's what the film is really like, finding the child with him, kind of thing like he grew up and he becomes a sort of boring man who's like always on the phone. He has this massive nineties like mobile phone that he's constantly yelling into and then someone grabs it off and throws it, throws it out the window. So he's like obsessed with work. He's just become this burnt out, you know, hold out adult. And then he finds he's in a child.
Speaker 1: He's Julia Roberts in it. Yes, she's think about, she's think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was aware of him, but I must say I had no idea it was any good at all. Well, I think when Mark Humphrey said, I was a bit shocked by In fact, I think when he might have said this his first film, and I thought he might have been taking the piss like to be honest, I just have not had any reverence for it or any kind of like I must, I must watch it. But that has flipped on its head, and I will get to around a watching hook.
Speaker 1: But let's get on to talk about the movie.
Speaker 2: Where he had to talk about in Brews two thousand and eight, Martin Donna, starring Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, and Ray find I saw this in the cinema.
Speaker 1: It is one of my favorite films. Did you like it?
Speaker 4: Loved it?
Speaker 3: I know, I sort of knew, to be fair, having seen seven Psychopaths. Knowing what I knew about Martin McDonough, I knew going to it this time around that I was going to like this film. But I watched it twice. We were gonna live this. A few weeks ago, I did reschedule because I was sick as a dog. So I sort of watched it while I was sick, and I was like, I know this is good, but I'm coming in and out of consciousness. And then I rewatched it yesterday in preparation for this, and I loved it even more the second time. And it was so funny and so beautifully structured. I mean, you can tell he's a playwright and he knows how to construct a story. Every little detail and scene is sort of setting something up and there's a payoff, and it is this beautiful mediation on guilt, what it means to be a good person living with the consequences of your actions insanely dark and fucked up and yeah it was really up my alley.
Speaker 1: So soo things you mentioned it I want to explore.
Speaker 2: One is that that everything is there for a reason, and that's it's you can tell he's a play right, and there's things like The two things that come to mind are and it's it's so it's so tricky to do sometimes so and what what how Matta and we done?
Speaker 1: Does it really well?
Speaker 2: Is it comes often it comes across as this banter or a joke, and then it comes back. The bottle is a good example of the uh they're talking about the karate and then and then the bodying fact we might play. I think this scene when they're talking about the lollipop man, just a lollipop man.
Speaker 1: It came at me with a bottle.
Speaker 4: What are you going to do?
Speaker 1: Shut him down?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: And my book, don't sorry someone comes out to you with a bottle, that is it dead weapon.
Speaker 4: He's got to take the consequences. I know that in my heart.
Speaker 1: I also know that he's just trying to protect his brother.
Speaker 4: You know, I know what a bottle they can kill you.
Speaker 6: It's a case of it's you or him if you commented with his bare hands, that would be different, and that wouldn't have fair.
Speaker 1: Well, technically your bare hands can kill somebody too. They can be deadly weapons too. What if you knew karates?
Speaker 6: Say he said he was a lollipop man, he was a lillipop man. What's a lollipop man doing no fucking karate?
Speaker 4: How was he?
Speaker 6: What's a fifty year old lollipop man doing no fucking karate? What was her Chinese lollipop man? Jesus ken, I'm trying to talk about, trying to talk.
Speaker 2: About so much to talk about this in that's in the line that what I was referring to was the bottle gets played almost as a joke there, Yes, and then later on in the restaurant, the woman swings a bottle at him and he sees it as reason enough to then hit her a bunch in the face, which you will get to the the PC and the darkness of this in the sec and the other thought. And you may have some examples of things that you were planted and come back was and I are going to miss it. So I said this a few times when it came out on DV DVD, and then I watched it when we were going to do it a few weeks ago, for the first time in probably years, and I was reminded how bloody extraordinary it was, and you was good, and he was on my favors, but it was even better than I remembered. And but I had I think I missed this fact that the tower is closed later on because an American had a heart attack the day before, which is obviously the elephant of an American that Colin Farrell's Ray was teasing earlier on in the movie.
Speaker 4: I'm not being funny.
Speaker 3: Fucking elements, but yes. But even so, their first tourism scene, they go to the square and Ken goes up the tower, looks down and like does a sniper shot of Ray right, like all this beautifully foreshadowing and planting the seeds of what's to come.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of doing that same tourism.
Speaker 2: Scene and the coins and the coins as well, he can't use his coins, so they give the notes, which we'll get to we'll cover the and film I think in good detail and the later on.
Speaker 1: But that comes back later on as a factor as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, beautiful, Yeah, callbacks and structures that are sort of threaded throughout and then I guess thematically too, and maybe this is a little bit later too, but like only on the second watching did I kind of get oh, Bruges is purgatory, right, so those religious elements, and you know, people have compared it to sort of waiting for godd Oo and those kind of literary references of two duds waiting and we're all waiting to see what's going to happen at the end of all this which way we're going, And I mean the final lines of the film again, it's sort of you know, maybe life is whether your hell is just being in fucking Bruges for the fraternity. And so when they're looking at the painting, the Hornomous Bosh painting, which apparently was a big influence for Mud McDonough, questioning what does actually means to be purgatory and where am I going? Is Yeah, it's just sort of beautifully done, never heavy handed, just sort of there if you want it. And of course the mirroring of the of Ray's actual crime to a child and what Harry ends up doing is a beautifully balanced kind of ending, to which Harry replies, Oh, I see.
Speaker 2: It's just like perfect that he's so good. Will you raise Catholic at all? Or do you have any religion in your not at all? Because this really plays to like Catholic guilt life is and you know, and the McDonough family because his brother. He's also an extraordinary player. Cavalry with Brendan Gleeson, which also is an extraordinary film, and that starts in a in confession and Brendan Gleeson plays a Catholic priest in a small town.
Speaker 1: Go see that film, forget a chance, I have seen that? What?
Speaker 2: So he starts off the very first scene. This is not spoiling anything. The very first scene is somebody comes to it. We don't know who it is. It is, but he says, we all be returning next Sunday and I.
Speaker 1: Will kill you.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: So he has to kind of work out who it is.
Speaker 2: And he's kind of like not in a mad rush to find out, like he's just trying to kind of calmly kind of find out. And he's not sure how serious this guy is and why. But all say, he's not sure why he wants to kill him. So he's going to try to work that out. But no, it's it's it's extraordinary. Let's talk about the the fact that this I love the way Martin McDonough doesn't spend all his credits at the start, as far as there's a version of this film where you begin with the assassination of the priest, and I love that we just don't we know something's happened, but it's kind of eked out a little bit.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: There's a scene where I think the first time is Brendan Gleeson's character Ken says in the hotel room, he goes while we're here because of you know, and he is, yeah, I know why we're here, don't You don't need to you know, And and then there's a few of those kind of moments. And we just heard it with the lollipop man a scene. I love the way they play that out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, well, I mean, I don't mean to say it. And then why do you go bring that up? Yeah, the fact that I killed a kid. I mean, God, stoll throw that in my face. But that's that's just brilliant withholding yeah, withholding information intrigue. I did this playwriting sort of Workshoper recently anyway, and they just idea of intrigue which I thought was such an interesting idea.
Speaker 4: That you so rarely see.
Speaker 3: Trusting an audience to be like you know, they'll they'll put that away in their head. They know that's an unresolved question. We don't need to get all the answers right now, and.
Speaker 1: You should and you shouldn't have all the answers.
Speaker 2: As soon as you have all the answers, Yes, the movie is over, really and you need to, like if you think of the good movies, and Matt McDonald is so good of that with all these films, you don't know where this is going.
Speaker 1: No, you can't. Nobody gets it in the Brudge going Yes, so happened?
Speaker 2: Predictable? Yeah, predictable. Yes, the PC nature like the darkness of.
Speaker 1: This comedy. Let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: Like this is a good example because people might see this film and go, well, you can't say that I don't like these characters saying these, but I think you get the set your own culture, your own your own boundaries, and go, this is the world we are playing in.
Speaker 1: And they do it very early, and they do it constantly.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think when Ray says they're filming midgets and runs over, it starts there.
Speaker 4: You sort of go, oh my god, what is this film?
Speaker 3: Or I believe the line if I'd grown up on a farm and was retarded, Bruges might impress me.
Speaker 4: But I didn't, so it doesn't. So and again, is Ray a good person?
Speaker 3: Which is the central question of the film too, right, he's this he's constantly trying to have people tell him that he's a good person, or he's trying to find goodness.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: He views Chloe as a nice someone, nice or whatever, which is so funny too as this drug dealer who's just tried to mug him.
Speaker 4: But yeah, she's nice. He wants Hurtle like him, he wants to be a good person. Harry.
Speaker 3: When he's trying to chase down Ray says, I'm not gonna shoot.
Speaker 4: You to the hotel owner.
Speaker 3: I'm a nice person, for God's sakes, even though I've tried to go kill this other guy. So the question like what does it mean to be a nice person and a good person is sort of running through there. But Ray's not a nice person, uh, and so he says messed up stuff.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, it's always so interesting to me.
Speaker 3: And I've run into these issues every now and again with with some recent writing projects, and I've been thinking a little bit about offense in comedy recently, and it's just so interesting that we about how when when when irony, Yes, sometimes irony for some people doesn't seem to apply. Like in a movie, a character can shoot someone in the face, and that's all part of the movie. But if you would say to midget or retarded or you know, use these terrible sort of jokes, then that's unacceptable, and that's.
Speaker 4: Crossing a crossing a path.
Speaker 3: There was a there was a review in The New Yorker that I read said, no one wants a movie that tiptoes in step with political correctness, Yet the wilful opposite can be equally noxious. And as in Bruges, Barges and blusters its way through dwarf jokes, tried abuse jokes, jokes about fat black women, and moldy old jokes about Americans, it runs the risk of pleasing itself more than.
Speaker 4: It's paying viewers. And I couldn't disagree more with that.
Speaker 3: I think that's a very New Yorker, you know, uh, self important view. I think I think that's objectively what Ray's doing is objectively funny, and we don't need to like him as a person.
Speaker 4: And it's funny because what he's doing is so wrong.
Speaker 2: But what's fascinating is and with that going through what happens at the end. We'll get to that later. But did you want Rader survivor do you want Rady to get out.
Speaker 4: Or you live?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't want Harry to get him right, Yeah, so you got Harry looking and I didn't want that to happen. And when you think about what that is, Martin McDonough and Colin Farrell have achieved to create this character who says, the most awful thing is doing this has killed a child, and we're still rooting for him at the end. Yes, isn't incredible? That's an incredible piece of writing.
Speaker 4: That is very true. I love that.
Speaker 3: I love a film where someone you think is an asshole becomes your favorite character by the end. That's extraordinary and that's hugely down to Colin Farrell's performance. But yes, bye, by the writing, you're absolutely right, I mean, yeah, the brilliant moment when the hotel latter says says, why don't you just go home? And how he goes don't be stupid. This is the shootout, Like this is just this is the end of the film. We have to have a shootout, This violence has to happen. YEA a beautiful depiction of that, which I also think is a huge strength of the film. It's sort of doing what say Goodfellas or Sopranos does, which is saying these are terrible people, like the way that we glorify gangsters and a lot of really dumb people seem to think the point of Godfathers all good Fellas is to celebrate these awful murderers, when in fact it's actually trying to satirize it and try to show these people like how show us how terrible they really are. And the Sopranos is the perfect example of a guy who thinks that that's that's a cool way to live your life. Yeah, I think that's really the film's really beautifully showing that how stupid and awful and ugly violence is and try to contrast it with the ways represented in a lot of other films.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I did love that.
Speaker 2: Ray the way he almost flirts with Chloe is to talk about in his words, midgets, you know, kind of committing suicide, like this is how he charms a lady. He also, I think that's when the line that Belgians are only famous with two things, chocolates and pedophiles, and only made the chocolates that get to the kids.
Speaker 7: He's a charmer, brilliant, But it's self aware too, because when she says he doesn't like to be called a midget, he prefers to be called a dwarf. And then he's like, well, exactly, you know, like how tough would that life be if you know, if you people call you a dwarf? Of course you would to blow your fucking brains out, Like just brilliant, Like he's marm. McDonald is fully aware of what the politically correct term is, but he's also fully aware that this character is going to be aware of that, and he's not going to make that character that in his film for the sake of the sensibilities of people who write for The New Yorker.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: And this is made thirteen years ago, so you can imagine even being The New york had been weirder about it now, because you know, you get we live in an age where you know an athlete or you know a singer who have grown up on the streets or with a single parent families or broken families who maybe didn't go to school, job out of school twelve.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to have.
Speaker 2: The workers' views in the world, So how are we supposed to represent you know, the uneducated on screen?
Speaker 3: Right? The conflict between the way that we see the world as it is, in the way that it should be or the way that we would like it to be, or the way that you.
Speaker 4: Know, using certain terms.
Speaker 3: In media or in art, you know, are we reinforcing the use of those terms, are we endorsing them or what?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: I have very strong views against it.
Speaker 3: I was recently writing on a project and the feedback I got from people gave me an impression that they sincerely believed that the representation of racism on the stage was a equivalent to or you know, as bad as just being racist, it was effectively being racist. Questions of satire, of irony, of how bad these characters are, Like, how do we feel about these characters.
Speaker 4: Who are being racist to other people even if they're being funny.
Speaker 3: Can a character be funny and be racist and we still know that racism bad and that character sucks?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: I think we absolutely can and sometimes it feels like the kind of gatekeeper folks have a very low opinion of audience's intelligence, right, They're like, I get it, I know what you're doing, but these idiots, these rooms out there, they're not going to understand what you're working with.
Speaker 4: And that's quite frustrating, I think.
Speaker 3: And that's why I feel like this is so incredibly refreshing and just sort of blows makes all that look so silly to me.
Speaker 4: I really love that about him, brush.
Speaker 2: I did love when Harry leaves a message. I think this is so beautiful the way this is. Let's have let's have a listen to the message Harry leaves. He's so he's given it to the This is he's read this to the receptionist, who has then typed this out.
Speaker 4: This is the message number one.
Speaker 5: Why aren't you in when I fucking told you to be in? Number two? Why doesn't this so tell? Our phones with fucking voicemail? And I have to leave messages with a fucking receptionist. Number three, you better fucking be in tomorrow night. When I fucking call again, they'll be fucking out to pay. I'm fucking telling you, Harry, I love.
Speaker 2: This featuring that receptionist or sorry, the hotel owner. She is because he makes that note at the end she's not the reception she's actually the hotel owner with her husband typing that out. It's beautifully done, and Harry is not revealed. We do not see Harry until an hour into the film. It is so good that scene and it's one of my favorite scenes of any movie when and it's played. It's a long scene and it's all I'm not sure it's one take, but it is one shot, yeah, because it is actually because because in the on the TV Awesome Well's Touch of Evil is being played and that's one of the famous, one of the most famous continuous shots in cinema history. Right, So that's a little homage that they're put in there. But I love the fact that you don't cut to Harry. If you know who Harry is played by, you kind of have an idea of you know who you're doing, but you know not everybody does know that or he's aware, so that it's don't show the shark until the shark wants to attack, and it's it's so brilliant and that's scene the way that plays out that he you know, the whole closing is as he left.
Speaker 1: As he left and he's taking.
Speaker 2: A shipware make sure he's not outside the corridor, and then the whole you know, we get a little bit of information that you know, Harry has been to Bruises when he was seven and he loves him Bruges.
Speaker 1: It's like a fairy tale.
Speaker 2: And he's angry that when when Ray says that, Key says that he wasn't raised thing, and he's like he's in sense by and then he has to kind of talking down By. Actually no, he did actually say he said something like, oh, it's like a fairy tale, and I'm glad I'm here. And then and without knowing that that is basically giving Harry exactly what he wants. And he wants to give Ray this fairy tale before he gives it, you know, before he gets killed.
Speaker 1: It's so tragic because we know how much Ray fucking hates through.
Speaker 2: That. So like, as Harry's painting out this beautiful nice thing again, he's trying to do something nice for the guy that he's.
Speaker 4: About to kill.
Speaker 2: Yes, nice thing is so ship Yeah, from Ray's point of view, it is, it is incredible. And the other thing Matt macdoneerdos was really good is that he shows when we do see Harry, we see him and he's he's angry, he's he's banging into the phone against it.
Speaker 1: He calls his wife and in them and an object.
Speaker 2: But he apologizes to it later and he'll we see him with his kids and that connection he has with his kids. So it makes sense the idea later on that the idea that because you imagine some you know, bosses of hit men would forgive this, would go, well, let's us move on. Sure you fucked up, let's not next time, don't kill a kid.
Speaker 3: Yes, you don't know what the priest did either, by the way, so fascinated by like the story there about that hit.
Speaker 2: There was a deleted scene and they discussed it and Ken and Ray had different opinions that they didn't know, but they supposed it was to do with pedophilia, yes, or that it was a land deal that Harry was trying to negotiate and the priest was against us, right, so, which apparently has a similar kind of similar themes in primal fear, not in primal fear. Yes, So there you go, and it would have been in a way an easy get out for Martin MacDonald to lean on pedophilia, that this priest deserved to die. Yes, And it's actually funny because it all becomes about the you know, the the the boy dying. Yes, but you're right, we don't actually kind of you finally have not caring about the priests in the way because if the boy trumps the priest.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, priest, you can do some fucked up stuff. You're never gonna die. But the children think of the kid?
Speaker 3: I mean, can we talk about that scene because that's twenty four minutes in right when you see that scene, you see assassination of the flashback h you know, Ray sees some kids walking around at the square in Bruges and then he flashes back to that scene and that scene is horrific Like that that shot is just like at that moment, you're like, what is this movie that I'm seeing? Can I laugh anymore? Will there be any more laughs after this? That is such a brilliant reveal. The boy is holding a note where he was doing his prey is his prayers?
Speaker 1: Right? He's better the confession especially, he's going to confess.
Speaker 3: Yes, what is it being moody? Being that maths and being sad. He was going to confess about being sad and then he was shot in the head.
Speaker 2: And there are three there are three things that Ray I think he's also is as well.
Speaker 1: Is he mad at Maths? I think I think there is something where he in the film.
Speaker 2: I forget what it was, but I do remember making a connection with the note and the boys list of Confessions and Ray when I watched a while ago, and it was this. I'm sure there's a scene where he's a bit fidgety with genius.
Speaker 1: Genius.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like if you're starting a pro And I don't know where the idea actually, do know a little bit where.
Speaker 1: The idea came from.
Speaker 2: As far as being sitting in Bruce Mark McDonald had been to Bruce yes, and had like a time like he was younger, like I think partied for it, you know, a couple of nights and so a little bit of the culture, but then got extremely bored. So he had this whole weird experience where he's like, yeah, it's some pretty good nights there. But there was other times where he was this bored out of his fucking mind. So he almost became these two personalities so he actually bactually split these personalities and and what made these two personalities into Ray and Ken.
Speaker 4: Oh god, that's a genius. But now that's life.
Speaker 3: Life is having some great nights and then being bored at his fucking mind pageous.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so I'm not sure when the idea of like a boy being murdered you're waiting for confession came from, but imagine I can't imagine as a bleaker starting point where you kind of go, Okay, this is going to be.
Speaker 1: The worst thing.
Speaker 4: What is the worst thing you can do? Is it is kill or you know, abuse a child?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's you know, yeah, maybe the only worst thing you could see happening is being abused Weekley.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But so for him that this side, we're going to do this and we're going to make it funny, Yes, like really fucking funny.
Speaker 1: Yes, is incredible.
Speaker 3: It's just yeah, so bold, and that's so interesting because children, you know, of course innocent, and so the idea of innocence and guilt is there.
Speaker 4: And yes, and even.
Speaker 3: When when Ken brings in Harry's kids, he's fucking fucking cunting kids, Oh my god, and then apologizes like I'm Sorry, that is too far. I don't want to bring your kids into this. Please let's play a bit of that scene. This is Harry and Ken having a beer in the in the Golden Litz streets of Bruise.
Speaker 4: Let me get this wrong.
Speaker 5: Not only have you refused to kill the boy, you've even stopped the boy from killing himself.
Speaker 1: We should have solved my problem.
Speaker 5: We should have solved your problem, which sounds like we would have solved the boy's problem.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't have solved this problem. Ken.
Speaker 5: If I killed a little kid accidentally or otherwise, I wouldn't have thought twice. I'd have killed myself on the fucking spot, on the fucking spot. I'd have stuck the gun in my mouth on the fucking spot.
Speaker 1: That's you, Harry.
Speaker 4: The boy is the capacity to change. The boy has the capacity to do something decent with his life.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, Ken, I have the capacity to change.
Speaker 4: Yeah you do. You have the capacity to get fucking worse.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Now getting down to it, Harry, let's face it, and that'd be funny.
Speaker 4: I mean no disrespect, but you had a cut a count. Now you have as me a cunt.
Speaker 6: And the only thing that's going to change is you're going to become an even bigger.
Speaker 1: Count there you have some more count kids. Leave my kids fucking out of it? What have they done?
Speaker 5: You fucking attracted that a bit about my count fucking kids tracked that bit of duck kids going over board mate.
Speaker 1: That's going overboard mate here, that is funny, but from what the official record?
Speaker 4: What a talking about striking from the record, there's.
Speaker 1: A type of on the other table just taking it all down.
Speaker 2: There is not only the here that's funny, but the look on ray Fines his face is there before we didn't get back to the themes and what's happening. But you think of Ray Fines, like, if you like, line up his performance in some like Quiz Show and The English Patient and Constant Gardener the Grand Buldabest Hotel in Bruges, Like the range of that man is extraordinary. Yeah, Like I think he's under like highly rated. We all know he had good inn actories, but I think he might be absolutely one of the best.
Speaker 4: Isn't he in Red Dragon as well?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Isn't he that's like the serial killer with the tag so get back, Yes.
Speaker 3: Which is probably a weird odd film, But I remember him being terrifying in that Yes, no extraordinary, but the fact that he's playing that character and the guy from the Grandpa to Best Hotel extraordinary. He's great, He's so good and yeah, as we said, to hang on to him, to not see his face until an hour en is incredible.
Speaker 4: It gives the story such energy too. When he starts.
Speaker 3: You know he's coming to Budapest and we want to see that confrontation. And I guess again that that theme of like being a nice person, being a good person, he did something good for Ken and that he killed the guy who killed Ken's wife. So they got this debt and this obligation to one another, which Ken honors by essentially sacrificing his life and saying, look, if you're going to shoot me because I betrayed you by letting this kid go, then so be it. I'm standing by my principles.
Speaker 2: And the respect that for McDonagh has for the audience to catch that information because it's not you know, they're actually there was They shot some flashbacks of all this thing, all this happening, and Matt Smith, doctor who was going to play were played. Yeah, because they shot it young young Harry doing this, but the because it's not and because they've got the thick accents, imagine a lot of American audiers don't catch this information. And it's just mentioned that, you know, a couple of type the party.
Speaker 4: They're doing drugs. The always said the midget. But that's the wrong thing to do, Jimmy, we're not quoting Ray.
Speaker 3: That's a very bad Jimmy is talking about the race war between black and white. Ray's wondering how that will work out of the midget world anyway. And then yes, in Passing, Ken just says, you know, my wife was black. I loved her very much and she was killed.
Speaker 4: She was killed by a white man.
Speaker 2: How do I fit into that that kind of moral that moral middle ground a gray area. Yeah, as you say, mentioned very briefly in passing, and it's Harry actually mentioned. Is Harry immediately connected to that.
Speaker 3: Or Ray says Harry got him? Yeah, a friend of mine got him.
Speaker 2: He says, yeah, yeah, which I think is even off screen for memory, Like it's so brief, so it's like it's easy to miss. And I think maybe the first time I saw it, I did I did miss that.
Speaker 1: So it's just it's just incredible.
Speaker 2: This film kind of reminds me of like if Alexander Payne and Quentin Tarantine they got together to make a film, This is the film they would make.
Speaker 4: That's beautifully put. Yes, I mean yeah, saw a few.
Speaker 3: Reviews of it saying it's kind of like a gangstery film, but it's not at all.
Speaker 4: It's not in all in any way.
Speaker 3: That's just the sort of the prism through which to explore questions of morality. And yeah, I mean obviously if we relate to this film, we haven't killed children, but we have done bad things in our lives, and those hang over us making amends for those whether we can ever ever get past them, and whether we deserve to be forgiven for those things. Yeah, yeah, really really big questions. There's always two premises in this movie. One, if you explain what this was, it was two hits and after a hit gone wrong, get told to go to Bruce, small sleepy gothic town to wait for further instructions from their from their boss. But then it kind of becomes something else when and will play the scene when when Ken gets the instructions to kill his partner and he finds him sitting in a park in the playground watching kids.
Speaker 1: He waits for the kids to leave and he approaches.
Speaker 2: Him and he he's gone out, and he realizes that Ray's about the put a gun to his head and stops himself, which is a brilliant premise, like when you when your target as a hit man is about to kill himself. And that's what and that's what we played a little bit out of order, but that's what Harry was saying before, like you had the problem was solved, and you jumped in and fucked it up so that all happens. And then they they realize and and and Ray realized that Ken was about to shoot him, and they have a chat.
Speaker 4: Have to be I'm so sorry we made choice to kill me.
Speaker 6: Go and gets nectarmarsuck of burls. Listen, I'm gonna give you some money and go to tryin somewhere, my.
Speaker 4: Dam and Ray, you'll be a dead man.
Speaker 1: If you've been missing something. I don't want to be a dead man, right, killed the little boy and save the next sile boy.
Speaker 6: Just go away somewhere, get out of this business and try to do something good.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna help anybody dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's u it's the ability to put I mean, it's that that's not a there's not a lot of funny in that scene.
Speaker 1: Like the Lollipop Man scenes is a good example of the fight. Think I must say one of my favorite lights and.
Speaker 4: He says, or do I would be a doctor.
Speaker 1: You need exams. I don't know why, but you need exams. It's just like so adorable and heartbreaking and very funny.
Speaker 3: Same.
Speaker 2: He's one of the best, this character, the Colin Farrer. I think he's the best Colin Farrell and I like I like Colin Farrell. I think since this movie, he's gone on and done really great performance and he's done something before Phone Booth. You know, an earlier one of his earlier films there was that was great with Joel Schumacher. But this guy's dumb, but he's not. It's a different kind of dumb than we've seen portrayed in you know, the way an American movie might portray somebody dumb.
Speaker 1: He's not necessarily the dumb things. You know that you can see what he's trying to from his perspective.
Speaker 2: It's like before he might have good intentions, but he's just he's not He can't quite put it the way he wants to put things.
Speaker 3: Well, like, this is why we forgive him in part or at least are prepared to are invested in his his his journey throughout the film, in that he killed the priest for money and he killed the kid by accident.
Speaker 1: Okay, so so he is.
Speaker 3: You know, we don't know his backstory, but he's killing people for money. He says, Look, father, I murdered someone for money. Like, it's not like he's a psychopath. Like maybe Harry is a little bit more unbalanced and maybe enjoys killing people. I don't know, but he's like circumstances have brought him to the point in which he found himself killing a priest and then to his own horror, and how cut up he is and how racked is by guilt by killing that child. We're prepared to recognize ourselves in him a lot more. You know, we know we're not horrible people, but we've done this terrible thing, and oh god, I just wish I hadn't done that thing.
Speaker 4: And that thing haunts me and lives with me to this day.
Speaker 2: And when we find out as well, I think this this is a great piece of writing. When we find out that this was his first this is his first hit.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yes, what are like up? Until then you got to go, what these guys? How many people is it killed?
Speaker 3: In?
Speaker 2: These two feel like there's been a you know, like partners for a while. And then when on the train of leaves he goes, what an idiot? You know this is my you know, my first hit? What a great hit man I turned out to be.
Speaker 1: I can't do anything right.
Speaker 2: I can't even kill a preece, kill a priest. Everybody goes it does aim quite low at the priest. I think it was a rookie era. He seems to aim like midrest, so he shoot higher. If you shoot low, you're gonna some kids kids learn it.
Speaker 3: But like the writing comedically, I think it's worth just noting bits where it's always hard to explain how it's funny, or the the skill that mcdonnaugh has to know that that will be funny. Alcoves right, the pronunciation and the use of the term alcoves, I could not tell you why that's so funny. But just a Belgian man speaking through flebish, I guess it looks like a language. Is just his obsession with that particular term and it's just like anyone else would cut that. But he's like, no, that's I can tell that that's going to be really funny. Yeah, and he's absolutely right.
Speaker 2: And one of my favorite lines to do is after Harry smashes the phone and he's talking to his wife and he's like, I have to go to and she goes, I was going to be dangerous yea.
Speaker 3: Is it something to do with the phone? I'm like, there's nothing funny to me that the character asking you the dubbest question of all something to do with the phone.
Speaker 1: Because he has just pounded the phone into the desk six times.
Speaker 2: Another thing that he does really well is is that we kind of feel for Ray in a way because we've all been bored on a holiday we didn't want to go on. Sure, and it's very it's very you know, it's not he doesn't lead with that, but it's he's very We're very aware that Ray is completely bored to the point where he doesn't even want to hang aroun and to see Jesus' blood.
Speaker 4: No, you don't have to because SHE'SUSU up there. So good.
Speaker 3: That's so interesting about McDonough partying and being bored in British.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can see it anyway.
Speaker 3: That's and yeah, imagine that to be able to split two sides of yourself into different characters, which I think maybe is in the waiting for Godo tradition, is that I don't know all the ins and outs. But Beckett is like, is you know there are those Those characters are two sides of the same of a say, right, the consciousness basically, you know, just in the same way that we are constantly arguing with ourselves in our own head as we're bored and wondering about what the hell to do. Ye, turn them into two characters, put them on stage and let them have it out.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and and it keeps on.
Speaker 2: He doesn't judge the characters, really does he like, we like our opinion of the characters keep shifting. I think, yes, I found it for me anyway, and even within like nobody's exactly who they appeared to be, like even to the point where the American that he hits in the restaurant.
Speaker 1: In fact, let's just listen to that scene because it's a it's a fun scene.
Speaker 4: Yes, I am talking to you.
Speaker 1: What's fucking unbelievable? Well, I'll tell you what's fucking unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Sh I'm blowing cigarette smoke straightened to myself and my girlfriend's face.
Speaker 1: That's fucking unbelieving.
Speaker 6: This is the smoking sect.
Speaker 5: I don't care if it's the smoking section, all right, she directed right in my face.
Speaker 1: Man, I don't want to die just because you're fucking arrogant.
Speaker 6: Uh huh isn't that what the Vietnamese used to say?
Speaker 1: Vietnamese taling about the Vietnamese?
Speaker 4: That statement makes no fucking sense at all.
Speaker 1: Because it does Vietnamese over and over and get.
Speaker 3: Anything more sense. But how does the Vietnamese have any relevance whatsoever to myself and my girlfriend having to breathe your friend's cigarettes?
Speaker 4: Oh tell me how saying.
Speaker 6: That's pretty your Yankee fucking content.
Speaker 1: I don't bother. Oh yeah, that's a lady being hit in the face.
Speaker 4: You hit the Canadian, the Canadians.
Speaker 2: So the American ends up being a Canadian. You know, he thinks Chloe is a movie producer. You know, on the movie she ends at as being a drug dealer and a thief. So there's just some lovely.
Speaker 1: Stuff going on with playing with who we think people are.
Speaker 4: It's so rich yeah, it's so rich. And yes, as you say, we shift a million times on.
Speaker 3: Whether we like people, whether we consider judgment of them, and it gets extremely messy. And that really is I see that I think far more in theater than I do in films, that kind of moral messiness, that gray area maybe.
Speaker 4: And that was the other thing I was going to say to you, like the great fear.
Speaker 3: My understanding of reading what I can about the history is that films like this are not long for this world, in that Hollywood will will not, does not he is not interested in this kind of I have no idea what the budget is, but that kind of mid level budget where it's mainly people talking. It's a psychological moral quandary of a film like I don't know how many more of these things can can happen.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like the doom and gloom around cinema has been going on for decades now and it hasn't quite you know, happened in the way that we were expecting it to. And there's been the marvelization of cinema. But I will argue there are still great films being made, you know, Nomad Land, I saw no mad Land, and The Father and they were both brilliant. Even a little gem based on the Patrick DeWitt novel French.
Speaker 1: Exit I was really good. Rochelle Feifel was amazing in that films. If you've got people like you know.
Speaker 2: Mark mcdonnah and in his brother and the Coen Brothers and you know, Where's Anderson and poor Thomas Anderson like these, it will always be people who don't want to make those can't you can't step and even the studios they need people to make these films to then graduate.
Speaker 1: You can't stay was.
Speaker 3: Directing a Marvel film now like after No mad Land is like a massive movel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you need you need people to hone their craft on these, so it's in their interest. I think that these films continue to have them. But with that said, yeah there is These films are hard to get made done, so the you know, we hope that Mark McDonald has earned some credits, you know, whether it ends up being on Netflix. I mean Netflix has paid an enormous amount of money for Ryan Johnson's Knives Out sequels, which you know I would have you could see how that was that that he was setting up that Daniel Craig, the long character to become a you know, inspected, you know, Cluseo style character. So I can see now that, Okay, yeah, this makes sense. There'll be more mysteries. But if that was just the one film, that would have been fine as well. So I'm hopeful that, you know, if Martin McDonald, who's made these films, and one thing hollywoods always loves is awards, and he won awards for three Billboards with France and McDormand won the Best Actress Oscar, So I'm hoping more films like this get done. Let's walk through the final act. It's one of the great incredible third acts, one of my favorite third acts. Anyway, We'll start with Chloe in a way saves Ray, and that's almost her reason for being here. I think like she kind of saves him one that she gives him, she makes Bruce more appealing to him, and then that she almost physically saves him because she's kissing him with his hands on his face as Harry and Ken walk by, which is a nice touch. So they walk by and stop me if you want to make any points along the way, and it's going to go through it.
Speaker 1: So then.
Speaker 2: Ken, so Chloe and Ray see Jimmy. He's in the school uniform because they're shooting. And again this is brilliant because we just think it's funny. Look, they've put the dwarf in a school uniform and they've gotten about the kid. Yeah, we've got about the kid. Yeah, And we don't see the foreshadowing at all. It's just finally they're taking the piss out of him, isn't Isn't life funny?
Speaker 1: Ken? They go sorry.
Speaker 3: It starts with Ken telling Harry that that Ray is in any one of the million towns that you can be in mainland Europe.
Speaker 4: Cut to him walking out of the Bruge for the President Bruges or whatever.
Speaker 3: Just like beautifully beautifully done that, Like, yeah, when he was leaving Brudges on that train, I was like, how are they going to get him back into brutes? Obviously you can't leave now that up at the end of the film, and of course, again brilliantly structured, he gets arrested for punching for hitting the Canadian hit in the.
Speaker 2: Canadian and so Ken and Harry walk by and they've gone up to the Clocktawer, which is closed because an American had a heart attack earlier. Again brilliant. Harry ken Is proposed going to the tower because it's quiet and nobody will be there, and he's accepting that Harry will assassinated.
Speaker 1: That's him at the top of the town.
Speaker 3: Just one other small point, yes, back to the initial confrontation with the Americans. What I loved is that Ken also sort of said, don't go up there.
Speaker 1: It's too narrow.
Speaker 3: So the easy thing to be would be that Ken is constantly the skold, or he's always the straight man, I guess, or like he's a very normal guy who wouldn't possibly say anything rude, but no, he's still a little bit of just a dumb, irish guy as well. Like he also sort of says don't go The way.
Speaker 2: I read that was was Ray said it as a you're fucking fast, right, you know, you know you can't go up there, and and Ray kind of said it like he's been up there, and he probably struggled because he's a bigger guy, struggled hesbably saying just so you.
Speaker 1: Know, okay, it's not it's not an easy.
Speaker 3: Right, and they turned that Okay, yeah, that's probably probably sport says. So they get to the top and feel good at watching movies.
Speaker 2: Well, I was saying this a few times, but he killed so you know, they talked about he killed his Wife's this kind of he's made a little bit clearer up here.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful confrontation.
Speaker 2: I love you, Yes, it's and it's like there's respect, there's love, and that puts Harry off. He's like, well, I can't go kill you now you've said all these nice things, and then shoots him in.
Speaker 1: The leg yes, which is so great because you think he's gonna let him go.
Speaker 2: And then the way it's a cut, it happens really quickly and it's so funny and leg it's almost like ray shot. He's almost like Ray thought he might get away with it, even though you think he's accepted it, like he's fully accepted, so ken that he has accepted at this stage. But then when he gets shot in the leg, he's like what. And then we've got blind Eric who's been shot in the eye by a blank, which makes it the second time Colin Farrell shot somebody in the eye with the blank in movie history.
Speaker 1: He did an Entiger Land as well another job she maker film.
Speaker 2: So he raises he wants to tell line little gay boy. He raises to tell Harry, who is now helping Ken down the stairs of the tower, so he tries he finds Harry. He tells him that Ray is just outside to the left, sitting at the table. Ken tries to stuff Harry. They struggle. Harry shoots Ken in the neck and he apologizes and he says, I'm sorry, but he killed a boy. Again just re emphasizing the moroc code. He killed a boy and that's going to be important. So then Ken drags his bleeding body to the top of the tower. He puts his gun away, he buttons himself up and he drops the coins that he has in his pocket because of the tight ass Belgian tower guard would not accept these one cent short or something in your work. In your work so good. And he's also been killed by Harry. But the lad because on the forehead, and that is so great because you know, we know who Harry is. He has no idea who Harry is. You know he's not going to get out of this. Buy about a third tap maybe in but a second tap. You know he's not getting away with this. And I love that it happens in the background as they like.
Speaker 1: Ken is like he's like, well, you're about to die, I'm going to keep walking. I don't want to be here for this.
Speaker 2: He jumps the coins below into the square so he doesn't, so he creates room for him to fall. Yes, you could argue that by dropping coins it could draw a crowd kids going I want coins, coins, But I guess I guess. You could also argue that people see these coins fall and they'll be looking up going, well, I don't want to get by coin.
Speaker 1: So let's take that at face for you.
Speaker 4: He's trying to be a good person.
Speaker 2: He's trying to be a moral for him to land on, absolutely and the only way he's doing this, the only way he can he believes he can stop is by causing a distraction.
Speaker 3: Sorry that the shot in the neck too was insane, like just loads with blood, Like it's extremely violent and visceral. Yeah, and you really think that he's he's easy going to die on the staircase. But yes, he's managed to make his way up to the roof.
Speaker 2: Kenna Justice tie and he steps off the ledge and he falls down, and it's it's it's not a nice sound.
Speaker 4: Squelch is extraordinary, it really is.
Speaker 1: And Ray sees it.
Speaker 2: He races over, Ken tells him, Harry's here, take my gun. We think, okay, he's gonna have a gun because he's taken his gun off him before. And then we realize the gun is broken, which is so fucking greg at that moment when you're riding where you're going to go, give him some hope. Okay, this is this is the solutions here, we've got it, yes, and now it's not, and it's so great. He's where's my gun? Where's my gun? He has nobody's gun. It's back at the hotel, I think, he says, because he's put it in the draw. He goes back to the hotel the Getty's gun.
Speaker 4: You've skipped over one of the greatest slides of the film. I'm going to die now.
Speaker 1: Just brilliant final words, Such a funny thing to.
Speaker 2: Say, and his face has half the skin ripped off. But it's both gruesome and hilarious and heartbreaking because.
Speaker 3: Death is so often you know that that's a massive moment in any film when someone's on their deathbed or when they're passing away and saying, oh like that, but like, just got to die now, and that he does, and that he's dead and that's life, and that's sucking death, raised deathbed. He's cobblestones, and so there's the there's a chase back to the hotel that Harry sees Ray, so they're chasing. He gets back at the hotel, he sees we see Ken's last will and testament. So he had this as a as a he had an idea of what how this night might go down. Harry, he's fighting with the hotel.
Speaker 2: You mentioned this before, Yes, he says, I'm like, what does he say, I'm not going to shoot you.
Speaker 1: I'm going to shoot through you with your baby. I'm a nice persons.
Speaker 2: A stand up Harry makes, makes you know, makes it known that this is this is a shootouts.
Speaker 1: The shootout. It's always that.
Speaker 2: We've spoken about this a couple of times, the Fifth Walling movies, where there's almost characters refer to something like they know it's it's a movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is a good example of that. And then there's a negotiation.
Speaker 2: There's the negotiation and negotiat how to get out of this hotel so they can take the shootout away from the pregnant lady.
Speaker 1: There's again some honor and.
Speaker 3: He is saving the next little boy, right, yes, like Ray is not yes, is like no, we're not gonna do this shit out here, Like he lines up the shot like he could try and shoot Harry, but the risk of.
Speaker 2: Shooting that unborn child is him saying, no, I'm not going to do that. I'm saving the next little boy.
Speaker 1: That is excellent. You are good at watching movies too.
Speaker 2: So he jumps out the window and jumps onto a boat and we think again again, we think, great, he's away.
Speaker 4: He's away.
Speaker 2: He's not going to make that shot. I think even says you can't make that shot. Drops he's going into the canal as well.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 2: Then Harry makes the shot. He shoots him straight through. You think he's probably dead, but he's not. He stumbles off the boat and he goes into the town, the city square with Harry in pursuit, where they are shooting this film and it kind of it's gothic, it's fairy tale. I'm sure there's a whole lot of references going on that I probably haven't they completely understand religious and.
Speaker 3: Like I think it's supposed to be herodymous Bosh esque, like that artist excuse me of the painting they were looking at before Furgetree.
Speaker 4: I think he's trying to evoke those those same yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's it's beautiful again. I mentioned him in the in the Carter Burwell score is incredible. He's my favorite composer. He does a lot of the Coen brother film and he's just is the guy you want if you're making it film And in this ballpark.
Speaker 4: And a reading and it's so there's so much sort of they feel like siblings these these.
Speaker 2: And after reading the two scores that I often just play right, they're both incredible. So Jimmy then Jimmy ces Ray. Ray sees Jimmy the school in the school uniform. He starts saying, the little boy, the little boy. Harry hears this and goes, yes, he doesn't he doesn't see Jimmy in the in the school uniform.
Speaker 4: He says, yes, the little boy, this is happening.
Speaker 2: That's why this happened. This is why you're about to die. He shoots him and because he's bought these bullets that he knew. He said, I know I shouldn't, but I'm going to buy these bullets. The head explodes.
Speaker 1: Dumb dumbs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he shoots the bullet. It's so powerful it goes through uh Ray and blows the head off young little Jimmy in the school uniform. Colin Farrell's Ray goes over that the CV's okay. Harry comes over standing over him and he says, oh, this is oh I see, I see yes, Tolon Farrell's trying to tell him, no, this is not a little boy.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's still terrific, right, This is like the question of children are innocent?
Speaker 3: So what a which is it okay to kill someone because they're like old enough, I guess, so they're not a chart, they're an adult.
Speaker 2: Like we don't necessarily care about the priest, we don't care about Jimmy the racist dwarf, Like what what who is supposed to care about? But Harry doesn't hear that he's leaving his own morocode. You've got to stand by your principles, he says, and he ends up putting a gun into his mouth and shooting him. So it is just the most incredible. Ray gets stretched off and he you know, he talks and then he talks about the idea that this maybe maybe hell or purgatory is living in Bruges, and he wants to live. This is important thing. So this is another thing that I think that mart m don does really well. We begin with a character who wants you know, basically has he wants to die. He's talking about killing himself. You know, he nearly did. We don't you know if he would have pulled the trigger. We suspect he might have because he's talking about he's in a pretty low place. We have a character who wants to die. Ray wants to live, race full of life. He's like, he's embracing life. He's in this small town. He's seeing the culture, respects the history. And then these two kind of you know, they cross party, you know, they change position, and in the end we have a character, the character who wants to live is actually wants to die now, and the character who wants to die now as except you know, wants to live to live.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: Also, he talks about, you know, he fantasized about going to the mother of the child of that he killed and asking for her judgment and saying whatever it was, if she wants him to go to prison for life or for him to die, he'd accept it because at least in prison or dead, he wouldn't be in fucking bruge, but he said, and then I really hoped I wouldn't die.
Speaker 4: I really really hope I wouldn't die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, brilliant ending, a brilliant way to leave it in that. Yes, I want to live. I want to keep going. I want to find some way to keep going.
Speaker 2: And if that means being judged for my actions, or you know, facing up to the consequences of my actions, then I guess you know they're so brilliant.
Speaker 4: But I suppose that tension.
Speaker 2: I want to get away with doing this horrible thing, but I also know that I should face up to the judgment of having done it. It is it's incredible, it is incredible. Well done, Martin McDonough.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he's listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll get back to him. He'll get back to him. Some fun facts before I'll let you go. Here's some fun facts abouting Bruce. I did mention that Matt Smith played young Harry in some flasht there. There are quite a few deleted scenes that are available online.
Speaker 1: Check them out. The word fuck did you did you notice that? I? Did you come up every one to the end?
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred and twenty six times in a one hundred and seven minute film, which makes it one point one eight per minute.
Speaker 1: The f bomb get strong. Oh nice. So there you go. Five actors.
Speaker 2: If you're a Harry Potter fan in bruges Worth checking out. Five actors also appear in the Harry Potter franchise. I won't go through who everybody played. You can work it up. At Brendan Gleeson, it was in at Clemens. Posey who played Chloe. Was in Syrian Hines who almost sort it's kier In Heines or Sirian Hines. He was the priest shot that in two hours and people would know him from Peaking Binders and Game of Thrones. He is an amazing Irish actor. He was also in Harry Potter and Colin Farrell's also in Harry Potter. Yes, they are the fun facts. I covered a few during our conversation.
Speaker 3: One shout out to another great line. I always hated history. It's all just a bunch of stuff that's happened. Fucking great. You two are weird. Johnt some cocaine that was really great.
Speaker 2: And when Bredan Gleason appears gacked out of his head, look the varrel so so good man.
Speaker 4: I want to watch it again. I want to watch Seven Psychopaths again. I want to watch Three Billboards again. And I've been fascinated to know what he does. You know he's dating Phoebe waller Bridge.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I think I didn't know that. Actually yeah. And also check out Cavalry. Yes I have seen that. Yeah, yeah, I wasn't one of the audience.
Speaker 2: I did point to you when I said it, which, yeah, gave you a sense of that I was talking to you, mate.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: This podcast comes with homework. I really appreciate you watching this and pleasure watching her twice in fact, so here's to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Thank you, mister.
Speaker 4: Pete ong load.
Speaker 1: Of an autumn day.
Speaker 4: I saw her first on the new.
Speaker 2: Tom Ballard. He's a smart kid, funny kid. Like him, like him a lot. Go see the show it is I touring around the country. He's fantastic.
Speaker 1: He's the best it is. I go see him comedy dot com dot A.
Speaker 2: You can also take a tickets for my new show Deconstructed Our Garment, playing around the country in cities and towns.
Speaker 1: I look forward to seeing you there. You may realize why I'm away at the moment.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm sure I'll have something to say about that as well. Next week on the show, our final replay before we kick in to season six. Lloyd Langford very funny man and was great to hang out with. He's doing a show also around the country right now. Go see him Comedy dot com dot a you Lloyd Langford.
Speaker 1: Check him out.
Speaker 2: You can also buy tickets for my new show Deacon Structed our Gami also playing around the cities and towns around Australia. I've got a bit to say about lots of stuff that's been happening recently. So next week Lloyd Lankfort watches The Princess Bride. Finally somebody covered the Princess Bride. We had a great time with it. Enjoy next week and you won't say nothing yet. And so we leave Old Pete save Lan Salt and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.