Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Firms. This is the flex and Frooms catch up podcasts.
Speaker 2: The more time you spend on the Internet, the more proficient you should become at not taking the bait. It's getting really boring to me to see the same batch of people riled up about the same things. And I'm not talking, obviously discussing grotesque social humanitarian issues. I'm not saying that. I'm saying every now and then somebody will come on the Internet and say women need to, Australians need to, and everyone's like, and they get themselves riled up.
Speaker 1: Your hair and.
Speaker 2: They get themselves riled up and frustrated to no end. And it gets really annoying to see because the way that algorithms work is the more you engage with the content, the more the content it'll show you. When things arrive on your feed, you don't always consent to that initial interaction. Right when I swipe and there's a little Andrew Tait video, I'm like ah, and I swipe away because I just know he's gonna say something inflammatory that's gonna piss me off. What am I doing there? I'm protecting my peace. This doesn't mean that I can't comprehend that there is a world out there where people think in that way. But on the digital landscape, you have to understand that chaos and outrage marketing is a tactic and it works because you don't.
Speaker 3: Learn interesting and how does this relate.
Speaker 4: To what everything?
Speaker 2: A skill that people need to learn is that chaos and outrage marketing works because you don't remember that you have the agency to pick what you want to watch and engage with. Right, So, every time you see a Kardashian do something inflammatory like and then engagement goes up, clicks go up, retention rate goes up. Right every time you see someone say something misogynistic with no intention of wanting to be corrected. Every time you hear someone misunderstand what feminism is, misunderstand what intersectionality is, and you're like, you're doing exactly what is required for them to keep gaining traction on this conversation. Now, there is a fine balance between you know, not excluding yourself from every difficult conversation, but also recognizing when and where it is productive and when you use the word productive for you to engage, because it's the same people being like, I mean, it's such a scary place, and I can never feel.
Speaker 4: Oh, but you see the headline, you click, You see the MRA article, you click, you see the in cell thread, you click. Stop clicking, stop clicking, or get better at knowing when you are just a pawn in a marketing activity.
Speaker 1: Hard to know, but getting it is really not hard to know.
Speaker 4: It's not.
Speaker 2: It's not because it's the same people every time, it's the same narratives every time, it's the same approach every time. And realistically, you're not in the comments changing mind. You're in the comments spreading the narratives farther and wide. When you're like, hey, frooms, check out this, what do you make check this out?
Speaker 1: Talk about it?
Speaker 2: Whatever, whatever, And I'm just saying, there's a time and place. Let's figure it out together, because we don't get to the destination, which is interdependence and community, homeless and harmony, if we don't figure out what we're being played and we get played every.
Speaker 3: Day, and yet we take the bait timetime again, that delicious juicy Have the Kardashians ever like gone into the food space those lollipops? You take the delicious weight lost lollipop.
Speaker 1: Every time they go into the food space. They had them lollipops.
Speaker 3: I swear they had the gummies, you know, those things that you're supposed to have, all the skinny teas and stuff like that, skinny tea, lollyo food space.
Speaker 4: This is aity.
Speaker 1: No, I'll stick to my chap of chubs.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also think I don't want to see you know, Like, how do I say this? I specifically don't go on certain websites, despite my animal brain wanting to.
Speaker 1: Check out what's going on what websites like, I'm not going to implicate because can you mouth it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Are you covering a mouth? I can't see, oh daily mouth.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: I'll really try to stop myself from going on these websites because I know how they work. They're getting a little petuity gland firing because it's getting me fired up, and I'm also wanting to look at all these base things that are making me feel bad. But it's given me a feeling, and sometimes, you know, in this six sad world, you need to feel something. But yes, I try not to engage so far as I can, because I know it doesn't help my Anything that I can do to help any it doesn't come from feeling put upon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like find the balance between being informed, having the agency to expose yourself to media that doesn't automatically make you feel good, but also knowing that you can tap out and not every salacious, derogatory thing on the Internet is permission for you to expose yourself to dangerous stuff.
Speaker 1: Protect your energy. You've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Daily podcast.
Speaker 3: For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.