Speaker 1: Gooday, Pete Hally here, welcome to you Ain't seen nothing yet the movie Podcast. We're ourtch out to a movie lover a bet, a classicalor beloved movie they haven't quite got around to watching until now. And today's returning guests, actor writer, comedian great Josh Thompson all below.
Speaker 2: I want to stay here with you. That's the trouble.
Speaker 1: My hat snake sucked. Why hail, it wouldn't be happening, right.
Speaker 3: You ain't seen nothing new?
Speaker 1: Yes, Josh Thompson returns to do Toy Story two. He took on the trilogy, and god damn it, we're going to hold him to it. Josh is the second time he's on, so he doesn't get necessarily the full on bio kind of read out that I do with a lot of my guests. But I will say this, he is such a delight he I think we have something urgeing on, like a romance. He just he did a day. We spoke about this when he was last time on how to Stay Married with Tom Barge, and we just became all became class friends. He's just a guy. When I see he puts a smile on my face, he puts a smile on my face. He makes people feel good. I think he's got a real positive energy about him. He he, We've got to really know each other even a bit more when he took on the New Zealand project and basically sat in the seat that I sat on the Australian project, and I went over there and this kind of chatted to him about how I did it, and then he ignored all of it. To be honest, he did a great job for a couple of years and then basically was getting too much work, so he would hang on it's me ten years to have too much work that bear as you walk away from the project. It took Josh two years. But he's currently in a Pixar series. I think it's Pixar's first TV series as opposed to a movie called Win or Lose, and we discussed a little bit of that is a part that turns out was actually written for him. Josh has a lot of fun. He's the smart, talented and I'm bloody stoke to be hanging with him again today.
Speaker 2: Hello, I'm Josh Thompson and my next three favorite films are Armadaeus and there are simply too many notes. That's all just quit a few and a little bit perfect network. I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. And Labyrinth magic, and up until recently, I've never seen Toy Story two.
Speaker 1: What are you in danger? Here?
Speaker 4: We need to leave now, ol selling you to a toy museum in Japan.
Speaker 3: I know it's okay, Hey, buzz I actually want to go. What are you crazy?
Speaker 1: Look?
Speaker 3: The thing is I'm a rare sheriff Woody Doll, and these guys are my roundup gang, Woodie, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: What am I talking about? What he's round up? Oh?
Speaker 3: It's this great old TV show and I was the star.
Speaker 1: See don't look look look at me.
Speaker 2: See that's mean.
Speaker 1: This has ridden me out, buzz.
Speaker 3: It was a national phenomenon and there was all this merchandise and just got packed up all you should have seen it.
Speaker 2: There was a record player at a yoyo.
Speaker 4: Buzz I was a yo yo buzz What he stopped this nonsense and let's go.
Speaker 3: Buzz I can't go. I can't abandon these guys. They need me to get into this museum. Without me, they'll go back into storage maybe forever.
Speaker 4: Woodie, you're not a collector's item. You're a child's plaything.
Speaker 1: You are a toy for.
Speaker 3: How much longer?
Speaker 2: One more ripping it?
Speaker 3: He's done with me?
Speaker 2: And what do I do?
Speaker 1: Then? Buzz huh?
Speaker 4: You tell me somewhere in that pais stuff In is a toy who taught me that life's only worth living if you'll be in.
Speaker 2: Love by a kid.
Speaker 4: And I traveled all this way to rescue that toy because I believed him.
Speaker 3: Well, you wasted your time.
Speaker 1: Woody and Bars are back. Yes. When Woody, of course, Tom Hanks accidentally ends up in a yard sale, Al from Al's Toy Barn plans to sell him and his fellow cast members from an old TV show, Woodies Round Up to a museum in Tokyo. Buzz light Year. Tim Allen feels like he owes Woody, so launches a rescue mission alongside Rex, Mister Potato Head, Slinky and Ham. There are thrills and spills as the toys make their way across town to rescue their fearless leader, who may be having second thoughts about returning to his owner Andy. There are a spate of great new character voiced by various legends from Cowgirl Jesse, Joan Cusac, Prospector, Stinky Pete, Kelsey Grammar, and Big l Wayne Knight at around ninety minutes. Toy Story two ticks along at a cracking pace with in jokes from Star Wars. It's a Jurassic Park to a bug's life. Plus it hits all the nostalgic emotional notes just as much, if not more than it's predecessor. Josh Thompson, have you ever found yourself in a box at a yard sale?
Speaker 2: I wish what a dream, What an absolute dream. I'll be hid down on there, snuffling away like a pig at a whatever pig snuffle away.
Speaker 1: At truffles, troubles, the slop, it's all there. Welcome back to you. Ain't see mapping yet, Josh Thompson, Yes, you did Toy Story one. We like somebody does a movie that has a classic trilogy kind of attached to it, and this certainly falls under the I think the classic trilogy. We need to have you back. So while the lead did Star Wars the whole three, Gregor did The Godfather three films, and you'll come back to do a Toy Story two. I appreciate it free much.
Speaker 2: That's a great, a great honor. I'm very lucky to be here. I loved it. Yeah, is it.
Speaker 1: True, before we get into it, that you've been using this podcast to refine your Aussie accent?
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. I had to do. I was on a show and oz and I had to play a character who was in Australian and so I listened to this religiously. I got through so many episodes and I loved every second of it. It's been helping me so great. It's so good for just sort of regional dialects and just the sort of little bits in between words, just how what you just sort of little noises that you guys make when you're thinking and whatever, that sort of stuff. Yeah, so I think I think my character I was in the Australian version of the Office. My character's voice is based on yours and everybody else you've interviewed.
Speaker 1: It's based on one hundred and fifty six people. Speaking of accents, I have to say, and correction is on the Office, by the way I made that. The you know, the pressure I felt that series must have been. It was under from and there's you know, you weren't gonna satisfy everybody because you know, the Office is one of the most beloved. I watched it all in about two sittings and I loved it, like, really really enjoyed it. I love the points of differences that you guys brought to it. The Melbourne Cup episode in particular, I thought was it was a beauty. The Felicity was great in the lead, and you and Steen, and it was a great cast. Lots of people I didn't know, some people I did, but really really really lovely.
Speaker 2: So kind. Yeah, it was so it was so much fun to do. I got into it too deeply though, because the other the other actors, because it's a real it was a real office set. You could see they could go because it was semi some of it was improvised, sort of improvised. You could sort of walk around and shoot it from any way. So we were always on set and all our computers and things phones were real. Mine was the only computer that no one could. You could see the screen easily. So I ended up doing a lot of taxes just during set days, and I got through about eight months of Texas. I also got rid of a lot of I photo dupilicates and unsubscribed from a lot of emails, So I do miss being on set and I am behind in my Texas. I hope it goes again.
Speaker 1: I certainly hope it goes again. I think you certainly deserve another chance, and you know I don't when you get done for tax evasion. Yeah, writing on us, speaking of great accents a moment, Great Assie Accents is a show on Netflix which has just come out which I have a tiny like I did two hours on it. I mean like I mean it for like literally twenty seconds, called Apple Side of Vinegar. Yes, the story of Bell Gibson, and I have to say, and I've watched the first few episodes and I really enjoyed it. Look forward to seeing where it goes. It's a real takedown, I guess of the wellness industry and Bell Gibson with somebody who claimed to cure yourself of cancer and by you concoction of diet and things like apple sin of Viniger. But the actress who plays Belle Gibson, I have to say.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm sorry. I thought this is unaware of the series. I thought it was a series about mel Gibson.
Speaker 1: Well, they as you make that joke within the SI, they actually do they actually do.
Speaker 2: I don't remember him being associated with well, almost.
Speaker 1: The opposite you would, you would argue, but it's her name. I want to get it right because sometimes I do. Caitlyn Deaver. You may remember her from Book Smart. That's the first time I saw her, and she's she's great. Her Australian accent is, without a doubt, the best Australian accent I have ever heard from, certainly from an American. You guys have you know, like I understand that there are little nuances and things that you're trying to perfect in your accent, but it's it's not a world away, yeah, even though there is, you know, like there's work to be done that you obviously put in by listening to way too many episodes of this podcast. But an American like it's like it reminds me of the Renee Zellweger Bridget Jones when she it's not just the fact that she nails the accent. She seems to get the little things that you're talking about. When you learn for the office, it's it's not just the words, it's actually how you deliver the asides and how you deliver a line, and culturally, you know, how that fits in. She's not once am I watching her performance thinking she's an American doing an Australian accent. She is. It is sincerely the best thing I've ever seen as far as heard, as far as an accent goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I got to watch it. I mean, I do find it interesting that after talking about the amount of work that I did on my accent, you then started talking about how good another actor's accent is a great length and how good, but the best you've heard it's Australian.
Speaker 1: I've seen yours and I've seen her.
Speaker 2: I'm glad. I'm glad that it.
Speaker 1: Has been top of mind. I must say that I'm watching this thing and I'm blown I'm blown away. But I mean equally, I mean, you obviously missed the episode when I was talking this much about your accent. I mean, I'm not sure how you missed that episode.
Speaker 2: I know what you mean that because Anthony Hopkins was in a movie called The World's Pastest Indian and he played a Kiwi. But he played a Kiwi from the tip of the southern tip of the South Island who's from in the cargo and they in the cargo is one of the only spots in New Zealand that actually has a regionally specific accent because they kind of roll their rs. It's kind of more slightly more Scottish should have feel to it. And even New Zealanders, a lot of New Zealanders were like, he's got the accent wrong. But his accent is amazing. It's specific to a tiny area in the South Island that most New Zealanders don't even understand how good the accent is.
Speaker 1: Must that be for Anthony Hopkins and he's actually put the work in, He's gone above and beyond, and even Kiewee's are like, shit has bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's because most of the population doesn't live in this tiny area and only people from the South. I know what people from the area sound like. It's pretty amazing. But yeah, I'm sure well Antie Hopkins probably Okay, he's probably gotten through it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I think he's not worrying too much about what people in the Wellington are saying about his accent. In the World's fast as Indian. Let's talk about your next three favorite films. Obviously I mentioned at the start Star Wars entered the Drag in the top secret with your first three favorite films, and you follow it up with, let's start with a film that I haven't seen and I've been meaning to check it out, which is of course, well, of course, but Armadaeus.
Speaker 2: Oh, you Pete, you've got to watch it. It's so good.
Speaker 1: You know why of the side of recently, I must watch it because I was watching Parenthood, and which I love that movie, and you kind of I kind of know everybody in it, Steve Martin and and all that, but the son have you seen Have you seen the Parenthood or do you remember Parenthood? No, no, I haven't seen that great, great movie about parenting. And but they're young. Joaquin Phoenix is in it. But it's got a performance by a bloke who I hadn't seen before. It kind of looked familiar to me, and I was always like, where's that guy from? And I googled him as I was watching it, and he's he's best known for playing as he is, and in Parenthood he's so he plays his kind of the son of Steve Martin's younger brother who and Steve Martin's always like doing the right thing and being the best dad, and this kid's like the black sheep of the family, and and it's such a beautiful performance that I was, well, if Armadas is what he's known for, and I need to watch Armads.
Speaker 2: That's that's Tom Holts, I think, yes, yeah, and he's he's incredible and so Amadeus. It's about it's about Mozart, but it's really about a composer called Saliary. I'll try not to spoil it for you. But who's played Who's played by f Murray Abraham And he's incredible. They're all incredible. I think everybody got nominated from us Becars what it's one of those movies. And he's he learns of a new composer in town. It's Amadaeus. He's a young upstart. He's uncultured, he's brash, he's got a horrific laugh. He's and but he he's has the musical gift of an angel. And because it's based on a play, the dialogue is incredible and it gives these wonderful actors so much room to chew through. It's so good when they all of it's so good, and it's backed with this incredible Mozart. You know, the classical music has been put together with it so well, and so it's really about the consuming j that Saliary has about this Mozart, this sort of buffoon who doesn't deserve this gift from God. And so Salu goes on a journey to destroy Mozart, and it's it's it's incredible. It's got one of my favorite scenes of all times where and it's an introduction to Mozart. Salary is the court composer for an emperor, and so he hears that Mozart's coming. So he writes a march, a piano march, and the emperor learns of it, and the emperor wants to play it. So the emperor can't play piano for shit, and he's playing it awfully, and so you get this amazing thing where Salari is trying to teach the emperor how to play, but without insulting him. And if you've ever had piano last lessons, you can hear that discordant as soon as you hear a discordant chord or a wrong note, there's just a lot of those, and you can see it on his face how much this composer is struggling with this, the highest person in the land, butchering his music as Mozart comes in, and Mozart gets everything wrong. He doesn't know who the actual emperor bows to the wrong person, and then then they all meet each other and it's just this wonderful mix of tension between there's there's an opera I can't remember who, but there's at least court people, and they've all got their status and it's just this huge status play. And then Mozart wants to write an opera in German and Yon doesn't want them too. And then by the way, he starts talking about the song that was playing when he came in, and then Mozart goes, oh, I can play it, and they're all from memory and from one from one hearing incorrectly, and then he plays it amazingly, and then he says it's not quite right, is it? And then he starts just doctoring it and changing it and improvising it. It's this incredible scene of him making the music insane, and then you recognize the song. It becomes so it's almost like Mozart walked and heard a song, made it a Mozart song in front of the guy who originally wrote it. But it's just this wonderful introduction of different levels of musicality from this guy who can't play a guy who wrote it and then the world's greatest genius and you hit. It's just it's just a great scene. It's hard.
Speaker 1: So is it kind of the idea? Have you ever? Like, you know, we've been doing comedy a long time, the two of us. Over the journey. Sometimes you'll you'll see whether you're watching it on special, like a you know, coming to a Netflix special, HBO special, or you see somebody live you're gonna go, ah, maybe I should retire, Like maybe I should. Yeah, maybe like you and for it and for that night you're kind of equally inspired, but also a little bit like oh fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I remember I think I saw Seinfeld come to New Zealand and he did it. He did an incredible show. And I was watching it going at about ten minutes and like my brain switched and just went I just stopped laughing, and I just went, you're watching a master I need to just start learning. And I just sort of went as if I was at the school and I just I just didn't enjoyed it a different way. But this is so this is like consuming rage, jealousy, and this guy does anything you can to destroy Mozart, And yeah, it's I don't want to ruin it, but years what, Yeah, it's it's so good. It also has it's really funny, it's incredibly world Regulus, it's beautiful. Everyone's got it's been the same wigs. Yeah, yeah, but no one's got everyone's got their own accents, so no one's doing hoity toty accents. So Tom Hools sounds like Tom Whols an American.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about that? Because occasionally you'll see a film, often like the World War Two films. You know, Tom Cruise did the movie. It's basically just been Tom Cruise. I'm like, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. And I'm not sure what a secret ingredient is.
Speaker 2: I think I think it works in this instance because if Mary Abraham has a American accent, but it's very cultured, and most of the other actors are British or you know, Italian, so they sort of vised the natural accents. But because Mozart's got it sort of younger American accent, he feels like he doesn't fit right. So that makes sense thematically for the whole thing. And his girlfriend and it's the same sort of accent that seemed very young in Heaven, rude and brash and loud, which may or may not suit an American accent quite well. Yeah, and because I think what was the one where the nuclear thing blew up?
Speaker 1: Which which movie was? It was a Michael Bay film. I was like, ah, again a movie with an explosion. I think this movie with an explosion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Chernobyl, they all had their natural accents, but no one was doing Russian. I felt that really worked really well. But yeah, so that's it's just as a great film. You don't have to be into classical music. It's about jealousy and revenge and it's beautiful. It's really beautiful. Also, it's quite really funny, Like the guy Salary is also obsessed with food, so there's there's all this stuff about cream puffs since there's venus nipples and all these sort of pastries that just take a lot of boxes for me. Yeah, music, acting and cream puffs.
Speaker 1: Labyrinth, labynth Yeah, David Bowie of course, young Jennifer Connolly and Jim Henson was directed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jim Henson, Yeah, I mean Watcher growing up, I wore out of VHS tape that we taped off television. I did very well pausing at the right time during the record to get out all the breaks.
Speaker 1: The pressure, Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of pressure, but I really really had it sort of.
Speaker 1: Then we spoke about a bit last time. Was there was there in your family? How many siblings do you have? Siblings?
Speaker 2: Yeah, two older brothers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Usually there's somebody in charge who was like you are we Yeah, we all agreed that you are the best at hitting the pause button when you need to hit the pause button to get the rid of the ads? Were you and you were?
Speaker 2: You were the time, despite despite being the youngest, I was definitely in chat. Dad was wildly inept the amount of things that we recorded with like the entire second act is gone or just just pure I don't know how he just recorded the ads instead like recording like pressing it twice or something at the wrong time. Really disappointing, just a bunch of ads. But yeah, that was definitely me and I really nailed it. But you know, I loved puppetry. I loved all of that. That really felt like movie making to me when I when I was young, just saw that magic. So many people working together with miniatures and puppets and stuff to just make one moment. I didn't know. It was like one moment when I was a little bit, We're working together to get that, to make magic. For me to look at that really felt like something special, and that's what got me into the industry itself. So I just fell in love with that massive crush on Jennifer Colin cant Colin, Conny.
Speaker 1: Conny, funny, love my wife. My wife can never say Billy Connolly, Billy. I think Connolly is one of those her names is, you know, can be a little bit tricky for this.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of yeah, what is her name?
Speaker 1: Connolly Connolly?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is the other one? Billy Colony.
Speaker 1: Colin's the same saying it's Billy Connolly and Jennifer Connolly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I'm never going to trust Billy Colony.
Speaker 1: Billy, he's good, he's very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big hands. But I also was so passionate about it. I think it's the first time that I swore in front of my family. There's a bit at the start where the stepmother says to Jennifer's dad, she treats me like a wicked step mother. Mother. No matter what I say, and I from memory, I stood on the couch. I couldn't take it anymore, and I said she's a bitch and he's a bastard and would have been seven. And my family was so shock. It was so shocked. So was I. I was so I didn't even know what happened. I just had to say it.
Speaker 1: Was on first viewing or was that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no no? And you had been you'd been, You've been stewing on this, and I need to tell somebody somebody's feelings a bastard.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought my family would pick me up and parade me around and be like, yes, someone's had the courage to finally say it out loud, But no, No, I just got told of Yeah. And I was unaware of David Bowie's package until a recent viewing. It's there, It's there a lot. I don't know how I didn't. There's a there's a lot of it. It's just a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he deserves one. He deserves was a great man. Do you think there was there was help there or do you think was I mean if I?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I would have I would have requested some help. I don't want to get into it too deep. But yeah, but also I mean, yeah, I don't I mean, I don't know. Do you have to examine the it's a pretty clean shape, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, there's standards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's not the sort of it's not like a Corinthian column. It's more like a Doric if you know your columns Ionic really maybe ionic. Yeah, but there's no, there's no, there's no scrolls at the top.
Speaker 1: It's worth a rewatch, at least in Google imaging your other of your next three favorite films. I write it down, but I can't understand my own writing. Now, Network, Network, Network, What a film we've covered it on this on this podcast. What like just a brilliant piece of writing, almost about perfect film. You know that, all the elements so good.
Speaker 2: I love, I love, I love all of it so much. Like I I initially got swept up in the Oh my god, I forgot that. Great there we got you. What's the speech? How it would be a speech? And open the window and.
Speaker 1: I'm out of hell. I'm not going to take it anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I and I was a in a room with a window, and I had the compulsion to go to the window, and if I had been brave enough, I would have done it. I was watching it my way up and I was like, man, I really want to yell it out the window.
Speaker 1: You like watching films and yelling ship. That's why your family is like to sit down. We're not pausing the movie while you go and yell at the window.
Speaker 2: Josh, this again every time? Yeah, but I you know that that initially caught me, but I've watched it so many times since. I love Fate that a way. I love Beatrice Strait, who plays the wife of I don't know if it's the main guy, but William Holdman.
Speaker 1: Yes, am I writing so somebody who got nominal for the Oscar for this and it was one of the shortest amount of times you'd be on on on camera.
Speaker 2: That's better straight, yeah, right, and incredible. I don't know what the facts are, but an incredible bit of acting, an incredible monologue. And she's sort of like not in the main shot a lot either, She's kind of like down the corridor, but she just nails. It's such a beautifulce of writing about him cheating on her. She says something about one last roar from a lion before he you know, it just gives up sort of thing. It was just so so great to be so affected by, you know, a middle aged woman, something I assume I am not much in common with, but like, it hit me so hard. She's so great. But I think my favorite part about it is the Ned Beatie speech, Yes becomes to see you've met with the forces of nature, mister Beale, and just everything about that, just how it's almost sort of in the dark. It's shot down a long, long, wide shot of a table, so much of the monologue is he's in the light at one end and then he goes into the dark when he starts lying. It's such a good monologue. And to think I might be remembering this wrong, that he learned it on a plane on the way there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think he was a late calling. Yeah, I might be wrong on that, but there was Yeah, there was an incredible performance. Is that one I think was he nominated? I think he might have been nominated on us almost just had that scene.
Speaker 2: It was Yeah, It's like I've seen that scene written on paper, and it is so hard to remember a scene like that where it's a lot of companies and business talk and to make it legible and to make you understand it. It's so hard and he just kecks it out of the park. It's so good. It's one of my favorite scenes ever. And I also love.
Speaker 1: Patty Joevsky and Sidney Lament is an absolute legend. Love Sidney Lament. But Peter Finch Aussie, Yes, got a point of out. Assume was the last film he made and one of the post humorously.
Speaker 2: Post humorously, I believe that's the.
Speaker 1: Exact pronunciation one day winning Oscars posthumously in Australia because he's legend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Back for The Dark Knight, Yeah, yeah, such an incredible film.
Speaker 2: And also like just keeps being so relevant, like everything that they talk about in that scene. And also you've worked on network television as well. The Robert de Vaial character, the sort of slimy, business orientated network exec. Before I worked on a network show, I thought he was great and amazing, but afterwards I was like, wow, Okay, I've seen too many of you walking around the free So he's so good. They're all so good. It's a great it's one of the greatest films it is.
Speaker 1: It is so good and and what you say about it becoming more relevant. I've become really interested in this mainly through this podcast actually, because it makes me think about the films I'm watching more than just you know, taking them in and they be a little bit disposable if you don't get to have discussions about them, whether it's with mates at a pabor or the person that you've seen it with. But movies that movies stay alive. And it's not just because we're watching great performances and we're seeing younger versions of maybe actors who we know now as their older selves. But it's the topics I chat I had the pleasure of having a Chodle Edgy of four on last week, and we're chatting about children of men and how that there's a line that Michael Kaine delivers when there's a group of illegal immigrants that go passing a bus and he says, you know, they they do their best to make a new life for themselves here, and now our government are hunting them down like cockroaches. And you look at what's going on in the States and you kind of think, and then Citizen Kane and you're up network. These movie has become more relevant. Ice watch shut we did recently with the Cavlin You kind of go watching you guys watch shut now with the p Diddy and Epstein in the Shadows experience. And I think I think I'm trying to tell us something. I think Stanley Kurbrick was actually trying to point something out. We were ready. So I do think I love movies that kind of feel like they're still fluid and they can change with the time or the times catch up with the movie. And speaking of great movies, let's get in to this one right here. Every day he's round it. Okay, So, Josh, I've seen Toy Story one. You enjoy you enjoyed it very much a memory and if you dispute that, and I have it on tape, all of it. So don't go changing your finion now. But did you for nineteen ninety nine, starring of course, Tom Hanks and Ed al And Joan Cusack, joins, Kelsey Grammer, John Rickles is back well, Sean, John Ratzenberger, Andy Potts. The cart is amazing, directed by John Lassida. I'm not sure where he's at the moment with all the cancelation stuff written by a whole bunch of people. The thing about picks out films. Like the original story is by John Lassida, but Pete Doctor also was in on it, Ash Brannon, Andrew Stanton who did Funny Nemo, and about three or four others, so it's they do get everybody involved. But did you enjoy Toy Story two?
Speaker 2: Pete? I didn't, and then I did.
Speaker 1: Oh, whoa, whoa, whoa, What the hell? What's going on here?
Speaker 2: Basically yes, I did, but like I'm just but I really, I really didn't for a bit, and I'm not. I've been thinking about it all night, Like I I probably watched. I started watching it when I was too tired. I think I've done a gig and I was. I was tired, and I was watching it and it just didn't hit like the other one, like Toy Story one hit. I'm going purely from me. I believe that as we've got the we've got a friend in you, and Andy's playing with Woody and all that nostalgia hits and looking at all the toys and all the you know, the little bits like the army guys got the little sort of extra bits of plastic sticking out from from the scene from the molding and all that sort of stuff I just didn't have. I think it opens with yea, so Toy Story Too opens with the video game. It turns into a video game sequence, but it's basically a buzz light Year sort of Star Wars esque homage, Star Treks sort of homage. And it goes through and I just didn't care. I was just like, Wow, what's going on? What's going on? And then it goes back to the gang in the room and what he was being annoying, and I just I just turned me right off. And it didn't get me until the yard sales started happening, and you know, I'm going through a similar thing with my children now, trying to get rid of some of the far too many toys sport little buggers. Then then I stopped watching it, and I watched went back and I watched it this morning, and I got to say I got back on board for the yard sale. But when the song, the random song came up with the daughter playing with horses and and veits, I was like, well, I guess I'm going to start crying.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask because when we turn about Toy Story one, a couple of years ago, you said you're an emotional wreck with you know, with young kids, and ye continued.
Speaker 2: Still continued, so the daughter's six now and just all that. I don't know. It just I was like, okay, now you got me. But also I don't know, I think the film really ramps up from there, like it really turns into into a lot of action and there's a lot more at stake. I think. I don't know. I just didn't like it for a start, but then then I.
Speaker 1: Did, Yeah, well I saw this in the cinemas and I I knew it was good. So I kind of I'll probably watched that a little bit differently than you did. I was I was comfortable that it was going to get to where it got to, and and I did. I did always think almost watching a back, it was better than I remember. For me, it was always Toy Story was amazing. Toy Story was a slight like an ever so slight dip, and and Toy Story three I think is the best because I thought they did what they do there is incredible. And we'll get to that maybe in a year's time. With you, Josh, I will point out that Toy Story two is one of the high Unrotten Tomatoes, one of the highest rating. In fact, that's officially second and the highest rating movies ever. Right, Yes, it has a one hundred percent Rotten Tomato score based on one hundred and seventy two reviews. The only the only movie that does better is a movie that I've never heard of, Could Leave No Trace, which is at one hundred percent after two hundred and fifty three reviews, so I'll certainly be checking that movie be out. Toy Story one is also at one hundred percent, but curiously only from ninety six reviews, which is still incredible. And Toy Story three, somewhat surprisingly but they are wrapping it up, is ninety eight percent, which I think you know, is arguably the best of the three. I still haven't seen four because I don't know why they made another movie because I think the trilogy was perfect. I will see it one day. In fact, I might go to see it soon. Whilst I'm in the Toy Story space, I'm working with Colin Lane recent at the moment on a play called Pete on the Star Catcher coming to Brisbane soon. We'll talk that Toy Story and his favorite was Toy Story too. He just said it's the best. He thinks the best sequel ever made, So I guess you have the conversation about Godfather too and by Strikes Back and perhaps Toy Story two. But I really enjoy it. But the sequence you speak of when Jesse is talking about being disposed of, which is what you know is lurking in the in the back of wood. He his brain at that point because he's had his arm injury, where the Cottons kind of come loose and he starts, you know, thinking is easy disposable. And Jesse tells that story where and he has been loyal to his toys at this point, but will that time? Will that change? And I think it's it's the sea. It reminds me of the the sequence in Up. Have you seen Up? Yeah, the one of the opening sequences where the death of his wife, and it's just like, oh my god, this is I thought I was going to see a kids film, and this is like hitting hitting adult, adult parts of my my soul and my my emotions and my heart and that that felt a similar, beautiful, classic Pixar targeting at the heart strings.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. And to see it when Jesse is under the beard and then she's covered in dust and then how long she's been under there, and then to realize the girl is basically fully an adult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: I'm not quite sure, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, i'd say, yeah, she looks for me maybe like early for me, it felt like early twenties kind of thing, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, really grown up. And then to be just dropped off and what I would call a very strange donations area.
Speaker 1: There's no system, there's no system.
Speaker 2: A truck with boxes, truck in the middle of the wilderness, there's no one running around, and the trucks open and there's this donation boxes just lurking around. There's no one. It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Because it's prettier than having it in a city.
Speaker 2: That's right, That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the only reason reason that's where the job off point.
Speaker 2: The back all around the back of a red Cross. It's not it's not because it does not look as but yeah, that that happened. I guess, I guess I just found. I don't know. I got. I was alienated by the space sequence at the start, and then every everyone's character was kind of annoying or being annoying, Like I love Wayne Knight so much, Yeah, but he is he's peak annoying.
Speaker 1: Some of the voices they bring in. In fact, the three voices they bring in and actors Wayne Knight, Kelsey Grammar and Joan Cuz all so distinctive, like there's no yes, there's no having to look at Google who's playing who's playing Sticky Peete here, Like that's Frasier, we know we know that voice, and that's Newman. Yeah, yeah, and it was jo slightly. We may never hear it slightly longer than the Fraser and Kelsey Grammar and wayn Night, but it's certainly there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she she had quite a harsh her initial voice. Character voice is very harsh for a while.
Speaker 1: I'm imagining it's based on like Calamity j Yeah, yeah, I guess so, yeah.
Speaker 2: But I was I was just like, I don't know this is And I think that as well, combined with all the sort of Star Wars easter eggs. I mean, I love Star Wars obviously, but sometimes when when something is so easter egg heavy, I can I'm quite good at picking out sound effects, so I mean I probably missed a whole bunch, but there was you know, lasers, lightsabers coming up when doors are open, the door opening sound from Star Wars, So I was like, nah, no, yeah, I'm not getting on board because the doors sound the same. I know what you're trying to do.
Speaker 1: Mate, That's when you have to go, Josh, go to bed. You've had a gig, get some sleep, gets some nine eyes.
Speaker 2: Particularly Well, that's fine. You take it out of the movie.
Speaker 1: How do you responded after a bad gig? I take it out into a story too.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I think, isn't Kelsey Grammar isn't his voice incredible? Like he dances between the line of sounding so wise, that sort of Morgan Freeman quality of yeah, I should really listen to what you're saying and then turning into Sicho Bob. Yeah, just just with a slight change of infliction. It's so good.
Speaker 1: It's so good because you kind of, do you know, believe in Stinky Pete the prospector that he is the wise you know, sage and the turning point when he does turn is is really you know, quite powerful. And I think he's you know, as a villain in this story. I think is great because you kind of, you know, you think the villain is the toy collector and he is he is a villain. I guess in it, But I think the real villain, he's stinky peep. But like all great villains, you kind of you understand where he's coming from in a way. And this is one of the great thing about what his choice of does he does he stay or does he does he go back to Andy or does he stay with these toys. It's it's a dilemma Like I found myself thinking if I was a toy and would I go back to and Ian faced the prospect of maybe ending up on the side of the road and this dodgy you know, charity drop off or do I, yeah, do I live forever with these these you know now friends and you know in the Museum of top where people are going to be fascinating. He's just learnt about this this fame that he has, and he finds that a little bit tantalizing. Yeah. I think it's a really it's a beautiful it's a beautiful dilemma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was one hundred percent I would totally go to Japan. I don't know if you've used the toilets over there, but they.
Speaker 1: Are incredible, so incredible how they would feel on what he would be Oh my god, waky.
Speaker 2: Clay squeaky plea. But I know I was I had the same I was trying to think through it as well, which is amazing for the film to be able to do to me, to put me in his shows. Yeah, you're right. It was so good.
Speaker 1: When Sticky Pete mentions the whole idea of the Spotnik stuff. But when those guys are popular, and then Spotnik happened and space toys became the thing. I haven't quick listened to that scene.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, wait, wait, what about the gold mine and and the cute little gritters of the dynamite.
Speaker 2: There was a great show. I mean, why cancel it?
Speaker 1: Two words spot Nick. Once the astronauts went up, children only wanted to play with space toys. I know how that feels.
Speaker 2: But still my own show. I mean, look at all this stuff.
Speaker 1: Didn't you know why you're valuable? Graperty?
Speaker 2: I wish the guys could see this. Hey, howdy hay, that's me I'm on a yo yo.
Speaker 3: Ah, Hey, nice teeth and still a good looking guy. Oh it's a bag.
Speaker 1: Oh what are you?
Speaker 3: You pushed the hat and outcome outcome bubbles clever?
Speaker 1: Hey, what's this thing? Do I get it?
Speaker 2: There's a snake in my boot. Hey bulls, go along, go along? Whoa a record player? I haven't seen one of these.
Speaker 1: In ages, And I love that scene. I love you know, what are you finding out? Or the merchant? Apparently when they shot that or when they shot that, when I filmed that, that's what When they recorded the voice, they were actually showing Tom Hanks the merchandise and he was reacting those bits of merchandise. But I'm surprised when he mentions the space toys that he doesn't take unless I'm forgetting, unless I'm kind of miss something that he doesn't take it out. They don't draw a line between that and like more of a a bug bear when he when he sees it buzz light, he is actually a space toy that did actually kind of yeah, like a UK aged space toy. I may have missed something and it's probably there.
Speaker 2: There's one light. There's one. It's almost in a side and I think it's in the middle of I can't quite the pickaxe sort of exchange when it when when the two buzz light years are behind the grate looking through, I think he's throws something out. It's almost like a here we go sort of thing, which I think was really lovely a connection. Yeah, but yeah, I think it was. It was it was enough, I think, yeah, it was. Yeah, Yeah, that was great.
Speaker 1: I do love I do. I think you're right, like this sart of the film is you know you didn't like it. I thought it was fine. But like I said, I I kind of knew where it was going, so I had faith it was going to get there. But when they when what he finds himself with these toys and he has that dilemma with the Jesse moment, that's when it picks up. Yeah, yeah, and the toys getting there, the Witch's hats get across the road, and then they have their own their own thing at the department store with all the buzz light years and that there's a switch made, which is again, don beautiful. Let's have listened to that owl. Listen to me, Listen to me. You're not really a space ranger. You're on car. We're all right, dear hear.
Speaker 4: Bay Well, that's your hold, Hotail, the court martial Bay go.
Speaker 2: You don't realize what you're doing.
Speaker 1: And this is the buzz light your aisle.
Speaker 4: Back in nineteen ninety five, short Sighted retailers did not order enough dolls to meet demand.
Speaker 1: Heyy bun who goes there?
Speaker 3: Stop climbing around and get the car burst buzz I go out of DEFEATSRG you do, Come on, I'll tell you on the way.
Speaker 2: You've got the wrong buzz goof gout.
Speaker 1: Say where'd you get the cool belt?
Speaker 4: Burs well slotted pig there standard issue.
Speaker 1: There's a great joke there with the Barbie, which I should point out. Toy Story one wanted Barbie in Toy Story one, but Mattel said no, they didn't think that really it's going to be a hit, and so bo Pete became the love interest, I guess, and then so they were they were keen to get in on Toy Story two. But there's a line that tour Guide Barbie, which there wasn't a tour guy Barbie until this, and then Mattel released to Go Barbie after Toy Story Obviously it was maybe a wheeling and dealing and Barbie's Barbie's done okay cinematically since I should be Yeah, but there's a line. In ninety ninety five, short sighted retailers did not order doles to meet demand. That was a bit of a dig at. When I was putting Toy Story together, they could not find a toy company to do to make the toys. They all said no, and and they end up finding a smaller company out of Canada who said, Okay, we'll do the we'll do the toys. And and now I assume they're probably you know, you know, the Google of Canada.
Speaker 2: A fine business decision by Mattel who made that I want to car.
Speaker 1: It's also the first time it's the first time he see in his represented toy story one. But he does make an appearance here and and it's you know it all it leads to the Vader a moment and but it is yeah, I do love it.
Speaker 2: Here, I have one give it.
Speaker 1: You killed my father.
Speaker 2: Your Oh well we're by the time we were and like I was loving the Star Wars stuff then like once we were and once I was on board, like I love the zurg intro was cool. I haven't been able to look through him. That was that was awesome. And then the Darth the Darth Vader stuff, who's my father sequence and the elevator shaft that was great because I thought that was really earned and it was that was really fun. And a great way to get the second Buzz out of there and still be sort of happy because they end up playing ball outside of so much fun.
Speaker 1: It is interesting, isn't it? When so when Buzz We're going Buzz too, Buzz two comes out. He he he acts like Buzz did when he when we first meet him in Toy Story one, like believing he is a space ranger. And then as he interacted the world, you see him change. I mean, yeah, and you see that, you see the change in Buzz even in this movie. I mean the fact is in the first movie where it's almost the roles have kind of change, where Buzz is the one preaching the value of being a toy and what he's kind of forgetting how important that is and what his role is. And I do like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did find it strange that that Buzz came to life, Like I found like to sort of philosophically the world of Toy Story, like when do toys gain autonomy? Or like because they run down the aisle and then that Buzz and the display case comes to life and starts running around. But there's this whole shell full of Buzzes, and I thought they were all going to wake up or do something they don't a buzz army a buzz army, And I thought, oh, this is gonna be great. But that didn't happen, and I was like, Okay, I guess the box hasn't opened yet. And then I thought about Stinky Pete. He's awake, but he jumps out of his own box. And then all the Barbies were having a party at nighttime. So if the like if the Barbie aisle was next to the buzz all the Barbies are having a party. And then I guess when Wayne Night comes back, they all jump back in their boxes. But then but the buzz is just stay in their boxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember, I remember this came up last time and we put it out for people.
Speaker 2: Maybe they came forward, got a lot of emails saying it's a movie, Mate, came.
Speaker 1: Much so much movie so late at night.
Speaker 2: Josh, when I was yelling at the TV.
Speaker 1: He's a bit and she's, yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: I do also love the yard sale sort of. But and this whole thing, like since we had really in deep talking philosophically about toys, like how do we say goodbye the toys? Like do we say goodbye the toys or do we just drop them? Because I'm in the midst of trying to get rid of toys out of our house and I'm not sure you and you've got kids as well. Some toys we hate so much they are going straight into dibbin, and some we are giving away without telling our kids. And I don't I feel very horrible saying that. But some of them are we're pretty sure they don't like. But a lot of them, we are the bulk of them. We're going through them and saying, do you want to go to let someone else enjoy this toy? We can say goodbye to it and let someone else have fun with it. Yeah, how do you do it with your kids?
Speaker 1: We have we have quite a bit of Lego in storage and I'm not sure if that's more of a you know, saving them for any potential grandkids or we'll sell them eventually. We just slowly got rid of the toys. You gotta know what toys the kids are emotionally attached to. Yeah, once there's growing out of it. I mean my twenty nearly you know, twenty one year old still has like a puppy that he had, you know, like a toy like a little soft toy that's been a stird and it's like on his bed. Yeah, you know, and we've been on holidays before. He's taken it on holidays and he's unashamed that, you know, he's not he's only embarrassed. He's just like, yeah, it's wolf's mate.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think some toys deserve to be put down, though. Courla Calson gave us a toy which was a steering wheel that drives along the road and sang Twinkle Twinkle a little Star, but it was cat singing, so all the noise and all the indicators were cat's mewing. It's the worst things. I hated it. It was awful. She knew what she was doing. I don't know if she didn't hear it from someone else who hated her. But yeah, we really had to hide that for a long time. And then every now and then you'd bump it in the middle of the night, like trying to walk through the lounge, and you just hear this.
Speaker 1: Man, I do remember walking through the night and offsetting various audible toys. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the reason the toy story brand works is there is this emotional immediate emotional connection with pixel know, we know what a favorite toy feels like, you know, and how important and how loved the toys are. So then when they flip it and the it's told from the toys perspective, and you think, wow, they're looking back at us with the love that we had for them. It's it's very it's very powerful, you know. And then the thing about Stinky Pete is that it all kind of makes sense because you know, when he reveals himself to be a villain, you can understand he's reasoning him, going, no, like, you're my only chance. I'm going to make sure this happens. And at first he's he tries to do it reasonably. Who knows if he would he revealed himself as a villain if what he just had a to go to Tokyo perhaps not was is he is he always the villain? Or he's just like, no, I need I just need this to happen. So I'm going to act, you know, in a way that I wouldn't normally act to make this happen for not just myself, but for Jesse and for Bullseye. But the fact is it works because he's never been opened, like because nobody really has to play with him. Yeah, you know, and it's beautiful at the end when when you know, he gets lumped with the Barbie. That's what he actually kind of gives him what he wants and what he wants, and which is a classic, you know, movie thing. It's like characters they want something, and as a as a writer, you're trying to not give them what they want. You're trying to give them what they need. And what he wants is to be played with, but it's actually not what he needs. He probably would have been happier to go with Woody and Jesse in Bullseye to Andy's place to be a new toy and to be you know, to be loved there. But now he start with it with Barbie, who apparently has an owner who likes to sabotage them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I kind of felt bad for l though after the whole thing as well. Yeah, like he didn't really do anything wrong start doing Yeah, that's I apologize.
Speaker 1: But I think it's worth chatting about. Yeah, outside of yeah, and that's his biggest crime. Like they do paint this kind of almost a stereotype of what you think a toy collector might be you know, John Lasser I think has said it's it's based on him and maybe one or two of the writers, because I think if you toy collectors, you know, like it's kind of funny to a movie about toys and the love of toys, and then the toy collector he's seen is like this kind of oafish, kind of ghoul. I mean he did offer to pay, like he was happy to pay, you know, yeah, fifty bucks, but the fact is that offer was rejected. He was not for sale. He broke into the till. Yeah, and he he stole Woody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I fully take it back. I completely forgot about I've had a huge era. I'm so sorry because the mother also said, no, it's a family toy, which means that, you know, my kid's toy. Yeah. Yeah. Aside from that though, like.
Speaker 1: I'm having to continue the thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really just out there recycling toys orbit for money and sort of taking advantage of people's nostalgia. Yeah, it's pretty bad. I take it back, So I must read the film. I was in a bad had a bad gag. We needed to talk about it. That's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm glad he came.
Speaker 2: I saw him again at the end though, because there was a part there's this fantastic escape from the plane sequence where Jesse and Wood he undo a hatch underneath the plane and sort of jump out onto Buzz and the horse who's called Bulls. I think it's so that's great, it's fantastic, But the hatch is still open and.
Speaker 3: Plane.
Speaker 1: I think there is a I think there is another movie, a very different movie that that those You may have a bloody on the South American football team on that plane because that plane, that plane went down in the Alps, and that that plane went down somewhere that is not safe.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you if Newman was on the plane with the South American football team, the first one, the first one they're coming into. Yeah, it's almost like at the start of another Pixar movie, you know when there's always frozen, like your parents are on this boat that sank, but your parents are on this plane.
Speaker 1: It's it's the pilots. You're having a little chat. Then it's like there's a red light here. This is a flat papen. The mask come to drop down. Yeah, it did, Ayes. Apparently ninety percent of the film that in the in post production and they're putting it together. They lost ninety percent of the film. Somebody had apparently pressed r m asterix, which deletes everything on the file. So they lost percent of the film. And the supervising tech director, who just had a baby recently and was doing a bit of work from home, took a copy of the film home with him to work on at home. And so they found this out and he basically got the copy of the file, wrapped it in a blanket and drove it back to the Pixar to save the film. They got most They got most of the film back.
Speaker 2: Terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, imagine that. Yeah, they did this in nine months, this whole film in ninety which just comesredible, like, yeah, that's unheard of for any film at alone an animation film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and apparently it was. I mean I saw something about that as well. It's one of those. It was the hard drive and the command is like a one of them described it as a caterpillar eating concentric circles of data, working its way from the middle out and so they would have just been watching the hard drug get smaller and smaller and smaller and smaller, and been unable to stop it, which would have been very bad. Yeah, yeah, the whole thing that did you What was your a few favorite sort of adult sort of stuff for the adults watching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a bit where they go into the sort of oh it's not a mystic portal. Why did I write that down? Something happens.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's that bit. Yeah, something happens.
Speaker 2: A bit where something happens and I think there's some aliens, the Little three Aliens creatures, and they say it's a mystic portal. Something quite freaky happens, and mister potato heads back falls off and all the sort of accoutra. Mar falls at the back, but it looks like he's shutting himself.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes you were. You were on the edge last time you spoke about toy story one about the amount of mister potato Head jokes about was falling off. So you've come around.
Speaker 2: They cut it down, they cut it down. Yeah, I was on board for well, that's a good pooh joke. I mean, oh yeah, it's another box ticked for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if Armada I had more shitting jokes and that would be top definitely top top one.
Speaker 1: I don't understand when you know I may have spoken about this some of this podcast before, I may have speak to you about it. But people who don't find like a fart funny, I just yeah, I struggle with there's there's there's an unconfronted trauma in their lives, true that they haven't dealt with.
Speaker 2: Who do you think you are? You're better than a fart? Yes, outrageous, Although I think I feel like I've come to the age where at New Year's we had some people around and weirdly, a guy I don't know, one of my wife's friends friends was telling a story and he just did a big fart, like in the middle of the room. I was like eleve o'clock in the morning, and he just said, oh, sorry, and just kept talking and no one reacted. I turned around and laughed. I had to. I had to say sorry, turn around, and I faced the other way, and I laughed and for so long that because I knew no one else was laughing, and I couldn't stop giggling. And I turned back around and said sorry, I turn around, and it laughed some more and turned back around, and then so then we all continued. But I just I it was the greatest one of the greatest days of my life. I was, I just don't understand.
Speaker 1: I was kind of refigured out it on stage recently. I was like, in this exact copy, like farts are funny, and yes, you don't find fats funny, there's something wrong with you. Because the fact is, there would have been a time. But now with science and we know why farts exist, so we can appreciate they're harmless. They're gonna smellfulttle while we can have a giggle and move on. There would have been a time. There would have been a time where if somebody, what the fuck's that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right right, my body just did.
Speaker 1: Something, I felt something, it made a noise and then it's an odor. Am I dying? Before science could explain it? It would have been a scary fucking thing. We should celebrate hard to be a celebration of science. How science can explain things.
Speaker 2: Yes, on board, I saw like a BBC documentary. It was around the time when cg I was sort of getting cheaper, so they could put like instead of just talking about Australopathecos, Robustis and early Man, they could have animations of them and they had this really good one, and everyone was so like the animation was so good this time it was Neanderthal. Before that might have been aspath Eendsos of Forget, but it was the prime.
Speaker 1: You could say that, but you can't say Connelly.
Speaker 2: It's no, I can't say. And they had the guy who was like on the African Savannah and he was like walking around a whole lot and then he stopped and he just took a big purse. Then he did a fart and then he giggled, and it was so funny. It was so relatable for a guy to be weighing out in the middle of a field to do a fart and go for them to choose that as a universal moment of mirth, it was I really loved it. It's so good.
Speaker 1: I just I love it so much. Hey, before we before we before we wrap up you and if he's anything else, you want to talk about a toy story too? Yes, yes, I feel free, but I do want to mention you you have something coming up in the world of Disney.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is his first animated TV series.
Speaker 2: What's it's Pixar's first animated Yeah, yeah, embarrassing, but yes, I'm going to tell them.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell them, don't, please don't tell them.
Speaker 2: No, Well, I'm sorry. Yeah, it's really strange. I don't understand. I still don't really understand why I was cast, but I'm in it. It's sort of a oh, you're very kind, but like and I'm not fishing for comments. It was just a very strange process. I got asked to do an audition for an animated thing, and I was just like, well, I'm obviously not getting this, but I'll give it a go. So and I'm a baseball coach, sorry baseball umpire, so I gave my best American accent. I listened to a different podcast to get better at that, and they said that's great, but don't do an accent, just do your normal voice. And I was like okay, and I recorded it on my iPhone And then this is such a long time ago. It's being on the shelf for a while during COVID. Actually, when I went able to do a show in Australia called Young Rock, and I had to be in quarant and so I did a zoom call with Pixar and and I couldn't believe that any of this was happening. I was like, you think you've heard my voice't why would you have a New Zealand baseball umpire. It doesn't make any sense. And so I'm having a zoom audition. We're meeting everybody, I'm doing a scene, and then I get a knock on the quarantine door because at that time you had to have nasal swabs at a certain time in the hotels. I don't remember that. Yeah, so I had to go get a nasal swap in the middle of my audition. So I said, please wait, and they saw me in the back and go to the door. Two nurses stick like swabs up my nose, have a swoop around, and I came back. I did the second half of my audition with my eyes running down, whereas like, but there's like stuff pouring out of my nose. But I was like, I just sort of pretended it wasn't happening, but it was clearly I was. They were finding it quite funny. I may got cast because I had a running nose, but also weirdly, in that audition, they were showing me mocked up footage and the character I don't know if you say the trailer, but it looks like me and I just I just cut. It just blew my mind, and then we started. They've just got tremendous resources and the time and money to really work the shows. Obviously they made this Toy Story two in nine months. But you know, I did about ten recording sessions and we'd re record, we'd re record, re record, and times they go, look, we've made this sequence, and that showed me this incredible pixa gorgeous sequence that was emotional and things are happening in it. And then they go, oh, but we're going to change it. They just like scrap it and just do something different, and I just the whole process was so strange, And the whole time, I'm like, why why have you got me? Why am I doing this? It doesn't make any sense. Like it's not like there's no scenes where they go, oh, it's we've got a weird guy from New Zealand to be the coach. I'm just a coach in America who has a New Zealand accent. And it wasn't like I don't think I brought anything and I'm not fishing really but like wildly unique like to the character. I just don't know why you wouldn't get someone in America to play the part. And on the last day, I said, hey, why did you get me? How did this happen? And apparently they saw a project interview and they just liked it and they just went hunting for me. So they had that many people looking for casting out there and I somehow snaked through. And it still doesn't make any sense. I until I saw the trailer, I thought I was just I was like, oh, okay, they'd like what I've done comedically or something, but they'll probably just dubbed me over because it doesn't make any sense. And then I saw the trailer and they haven't dubbed me over. I mean it still hasn't come out yet at this time of the recording, so they still might dub me over. But so far.
Speaker 1: This pisses me off a little bit because you basically, in the Project New zeal And, you sat in the seat that I sit in the Australia and I've done that for ten years, two years, and then pissed off ten years Josh.
Speaker 2: Not once.
Speaker 1: Have some somebody even fixed us and we're casting that guy not once? Yeah, that's that's that is amazing. That's amazing that like that that's yeah. That yeah, you see approach interview and you and you know that's how it happens.
Speaker 2: That's yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess said it looks like the looks like you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, curly here, we've got the same nose. And weirdly like over the years, like there's been a Pixar filter on iPhones and people have like taken photos of me and gone, hey, look your Pexar character. And I've had to bite my tongue for so long because this is we were you know, the audition was in COVID. That's so long ago, it's five four or five years ago, and so I've had to keep it under my hat for so long that I just thought it's never going to happen. Yeah, but really strange, really strange.
Speaker 1: And it's called wind Lose, it's called Win or Lose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it's really cool. It's about a baseball team, and it's about sort of one day or I might be wrong, but.
Speaker 1: I will remind you when you try to talk about what your movie was about, you didn't get a few sentences in and go, I'm not very good at explaining what my moves are. So this is this is a second chance Josh.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well yeah, I'm self emotions not not my best whatever the word is, I'm going a go. But yeah, so, and I didn't have access to all the other scripts. But this an incident happens during a baseball game, and it affects everybody involved differently, So it's sort of like a ration mom Each episode goes back to how the incident affected this person that or the umpire or the kids involved, or their friends, or their mum or their dad. And so that's sort of what the the series is about.
Speaker 1: Is the incident. Is an incident almost really allowed to talents. What the incident is? Is it something that's kind of a bit super natural kind of thing, or is it something a bit is it kind of funny or is it something a bit kind of Oh, this is a bit interesting as far as like it's a bit more like like the slap for example.
Speaker 2: Like the slap. Yeah, no, I think it's it's fairly it's not out of this world. It's a it's just a very intense moment during a baseball game, right, and it's interpreted differently. Baby who was involved, and the two directors are incredible, wonderful, loveliest people that made me feel so wonderful all the time. It was so great because we would record and then then I go, can I try some stuff? And I would just waffle away and give them different options, which I'm sure they threw on the ground. It made me feel so warm and one for the whole time. It's just quite a diferent experience. Not the other directors that mean to me, but like other times when we're recording in New Zealand, you know, we don't have the budget to sort of ass around, Yes, we've got forty minutes, we're going in, go do the script, do some options if you can knock it out. It was a very different experience. So the whole story is based on their experiences from working at Pixar, where they would both going to a meeting and things will go down and they both leave and they both have completely different experiences of what happened. One of them be like, oh, that was a great meeting, and how long was like I think it was a really bad meeting. And they both have arguments of how the meeting should be viewed, and then they thought, oh we should we should make this a series.
Speaker 1: I think that's really fastic. I'm really into this idea. There's been a few things that have happened, you know, both in the news and the main kind of life, where I kind of go, we've walked away with two different versions of we're in the same meeting, Yes, exactly what you just said. And there's some stuff that's been in the news which I won't going to because they've got we've got a murky we're kind of coni versal. Things have happened and people have had these different ideas of what and yeah, as a consumer of the news, you have to kind of go or who do I believe and who do I don't believe? But it's like perhaps none of them or neither of them believe they're lying. They just think, yes, that's what happened to them, and that's yeah, that's their truth, and that's their truth. I think it's a really fascinating area. Yeah, and I think I.
Speaker 2: Think they use different animation techniques or styles possibly animation directors for each viewpoint as well. So I think it's going to be I think it's going to be really great.
Speaker 1: Is it pitched at a slightly maybe slightly older audience, and you know, maybe I think so.
Speaker 2: I think it's slightly older than Toy Story. It's like, ah, I don't really know. Maybe yeah, yeah, it's slightly older than to but I think I think it's gonna be interesting for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well's and that's what picks out do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So well, one of the other things I just love about Toy Story. I'm sure we probably mentioned in the first the first one, but just a little you know, the use because the first thing Pixel will do is make sure that they have a story and you know, and and and we spoke about last time. They always they're the experts and like the obstacles and building the stakes of you know, and they do it really well. I won't go through all the little bits and pieces that they did like I did last time, but they do it really well. But then and then the ones that they've got that then they just go to work at the jokes and and and the references and and that, and some of us just on, some of us just on you know, like there's a the speaking spell stuff, you know, like the fact that Buzz is using speaking spell to to work out the number plate, the registration plate, you know, the etcher skits when they use that, you know, and then there's the Cheetos like land mines.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just I just love the details that picks out put into their characters.
Speaker 2: That's so I did feel really crunchy things. There was a lot of times when when you know that someone would leave and then the toys would play in the cowboy group where there'd be a lot of styrofoam peanuts out right, and then and then and then one night would come back and they'd all jump back in the boxes and I was like, whew, are the peanuts.
Speaker 1: He wasn't very observant though, was it. I mean, you'd be asking more questions like why how does this keep happening?
Speaker 2: Wise, Yeah, wells buzzed by the great as opposed to the box I put them in. Yeah, I mean I was just shouting at the screen about why there's so many peanuts everywhere? I woke up my kids last night, So that was another thing. So you know, it affects us differently.
Speaker 1: The one of the first actually, really I think a little way, a little way into this film for me, was the wheezy character of the penguin, which obviously then goes into the yard sale, but it's that idea and it's so beautiful that sets up this idea, you know, in what his mind, it's not just that he's had his arm wripped, but like now he's met this toy that has been discarded and left and his mum deliberately put him up there that basically just hiding him think and he thinking he's off to the store to get fixed. Then you have this idea that you know, he's collected to put into the yard sale, and then Woody injured, goes in to rescue him. Like it does. It does as much as what he is being annoying because he's looking for his hat, which you understand because like if you're a toy, that's the only accessory what he has from what I understand, like he doesn't have, you know, like a rope or a gun or about the cowboy little things. He basically only comes with his hat, like that would be extremely important to him. And he's kind of got this injury now and this is cotton, so he's you know, he doesn't see himself as perfect, and but this toy collector does. I think there are so many little elements that are small details that play really well. Even the Rex playing the video game to start, and there's a little joke because his arms are too small. He's looking at my ear, I can't do old, which is a funny joke, but it pays off because when he becomes obsessed about defeating So when they meet the other buzz light Year, Yeah, why does buzz light you go along with these other you know, he's a space ranger. Why does he go along with this pig and this you know, this slinky dog. Because he misunderstands. He thinks they're going off to defeat. So that's why he goes on this mission. So it's just things that come across as little jokes. You always seem to pay off.
Speaker 2: The potato hit my my bug beer. There's a great thing. There's a great payoff later because his wife's pecked a his angry eyes and in his back, and then he goes time for some angry eyes and he puts on a pair of shoes instead of angry eyes. I mean I laughed out loud.
Speaker 1: The bloopers at the end, I must say I laughed a light of the bloopers. Such such a lovely touch. Apparently the one with what he's sitting down is based on an actual blue be from I think The Money Pit with Tom Hanks. There's a scene of him like there's a hole in the floor and he's sitting in it. He couldn't quite get up so and he's just laughing, you know, laughing at it. It's all you know, a blue you know. So Yeah, I just thought that was so so nice. Little bugs laugh. A lot of bugs life references in there as well, but where they're like it's having a chat and then all of a sudden it pans out and it's you know, buzz through the garden.
Speaker 2: Kelsey Grammar farting in the box. I was like, Gramma's making the this is great, it is finally we're getting there.
Speaker 1: At the moment started, I did love again. We spoked about last night. But I love when they pull out the perspective and because we are dealing with them in their world. And then when they pull out and you just see Zer chasing bars across the road and this tiny little and he's almost like gliding across like he's on wheels, like he probably is, you know, and and yeah, I think it's really clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a bit. I did a huge one ad on the whole thing, Like I loved Zurgen Buzz so much, so much. Did you hear about the DVD controversy.
Speaker 1: There's a fun up, wasn't there. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently there's an Ultimate Toy Box DVD and a thousand copies of the by the way I got. Yes, there was a there was a glitz of like some of them, they said it was a glitch where that were at some point during the film, it would cut to a scene from High Fidelity.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, John Kuzack, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John Cusack, and then they'd say the word. There's a scene where they say fuck multiple times, and then it would cut back to the film. And obviously parents are very upset, but they've managed to get away with it by saying it was just a pressing error. I don't know if you've ever made a DVD, but it doesn't work like that. You have you put the file on the film. Yeah, another another that's edited into it. So someone I guess it's like when that scene in Lion King, we're like the leaves said six for a moment, like some insider.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like yeah, yeah, I do love that, I do love that. Yeah, that's it sounds like they went across the Pixil went across the tech. They lost ninety percent of the film roll out with Shipouse. It's so bad.
Speaker 2: What happened is today I deleted ninety percent of the work that we've been doing for the past.
Speaker 1: But oh man, we're the day on How to Stay Married where we lost a couple, you know, about half a day and then we were able to retreat. We lost we thought it lost a full day because somebody you know, didn't do something they were supposed to do cards. Yeah, exactly right, And yeah, that that was that was a bit of a sick feeling, and that's you know that In the end, we got a lot of it back and we maybe had to shoot one more scene and it was fine, but ninety of the movie, you know, with you know, the money involved at that level. Yeah, he is incredible. One last fast fact and that is Bulls Eye was going to be played by Martin Short until they decided that they didn't really need bulls to talk at all, and that yeah, they just he should just be like a puppy that they that they love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, which is that I mean, it feels right, but also I love Martin Short.
Speaker 1: Yes he would you didn't go about he's doing okay, yeah, he's solving in buildings. He's fine, he's fine, mate. Always a pleasure catching up. I hope to see you, you know soon for whatever reasons it might be, but treading the boards on stage or high for Luton movies and yeah, well we'll hopefully see you soon.
Speaker 2: Mate. Oh you're very kind. And can I just say, Pete, after listening to three thousand of your episodes to work on my Australian accent, which you didn't care for. You always all of your gifts. Such a wonderful introduction and there's no hint of irony or any undercutting, which is so hard for a New Zealand or Australian comic to do because we exist in an industry where we just shoot on each other as part of the joke, and to deal with the fact that we can't men can't have emotions. It's so lovely and it's so well, it's obviously so well researched. It's not just some generic stuff. And I just think someone should say just how wonderful you are.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that's that's very kind. That's very kind, Josh. When people have when when my guests have actually watched a movie and thought about, you know what they're here to do? You know, but I only have people on the show that I love and that I like and admire, So saying nice things he's very easily done.
Speaker 2: But it's not, Pete. It's so hard. Like when my wife gave birth, my friend said, here's some advice. I think write down some nice things to say to your wife. And I was like, what are you talking about? So I did not write down a bunch of nice things to say to my wife. But then thirty hours into the labor, I was I was like, I was repeating stuff so much, so much that my wife said, if you say I'm a strong woman one more time and I'll punch you in the face. So I'm just saying it's not that easy.
Speaker 1: Which will hurt because I'm a strong woman. I've had this stopped writing when I write cards to my parents for their birthdays and Christmas, whatever it might be, Yeah, thanks for your love and support. Yeah, I've banned myself and writing that because it's like I need, yeah, I need to kind of. You know, it's funny when you cut out and things that you always go to. Yeah, really, there there are times when when i'm you know, and I must say the intro is early on in Yasney, where we're very much written and and I would just kind of read them and and I put a lot of effort into into them and as you go along, because there's there's quite a few things I need to prep for the show. I just thought, I just need to kind of find a place where I can find something that where it's a bit looser, and so I have my I have more bullet points. You know that I read it probably means that the interest are going longer than they used to go for. But no, everything is everything is genuine. And yeah, there are times where I'm like, I can't use that word again because ive us it's somebody else and.
Speaker 2: We do a great job and we notice.
Speaker 1: So thank you, mate. I do apprecure you're very kind man, and I look forward to seeing you in Oza very soon.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I tried reasoning with you, Woody, but you'll keep forcing me to take extreme measures.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, you turned on the TV last night, not Jesse.
Speaker 1: Look, we have an.
Speaker 2: Eternity to spend together in the museum. Let's not start off by pointing fingers, shall we you really are stinky Pete, aren't you?
Speaker 4: Presspector this isn't fair.
Speaker 2: Fair, I'll tell you it's not fair.
Speaker 4: Strending a lifetime on our Dimes store shelf watching every other toy v sold.
Speaker 2: Well, finally my waiting is Pete off and no hand me down. Cowboy Doll's gonna mass it up for me. Now.
Speaker 1: I could talk to that bloke all day and the next day and the day after that. Josh Thompson, New Zealand's Finest with Toy Story two, you'll have to return to do Toy Story three. Whether we get the Toy Story four, I don't know what do you think. I haven't seen Toy Story four, but I feel like we'll cut it off at the trilogy. We'll get Josh back Pixar's own Josh Thompson. Check out, win or lose. Looking forward to seeing it. Love it, bloke, great man fun chat as always, thank you for listening to the show. We appreciate your support. One way. The best way you can support the show is tell your friends about it, but also jump on the iTunes really easy, give it five stars and leave a review. It helps the algorithm for us and gets the word out for yasny. I do appreciate it. You can jump on our speak pipe and leave a message and we're gonna start playing more of them. We don't, I must say, I'm probably guilty of forgetting to get them onto the podcast, but we're going to maybe start doing them at the top of the show so you can hear the audience. But it's fun. Next week on the show, comedian Sam Peterson will be joining us. Sam he's probably best known for his podcast Confessions, which I did on the same day as we recorded this episode, so it's probably out by now. Sam is a great guy, fun guy, smart guy, much loved in the comedy community. He's been asking me to do Confessions for a long time, and yeah, I'm really happy today I got to do it. He's a really lovely bloke, Sam, and like I said, funny as well. Those two leave the combination lovely and funny. I like it. Next week on the show, though with Sam Peterson, we will be covering an absolute classic. It comes up from time and time. On this podcast, we are going back to the Oscar nominated role that made Anthony Hopkins a global name in the chilling depiction of Hannibal lecter, with of course Jody Foster also nagging the oscar for memory. That might be wrong. I don't she wouldn't she should have. It's a great performance Silence of the Lambs. Of course it's creepy, but it's undoubtedly a classic Sam Peterson Silence of the Lambs. Next week and you ain't see nothing yet. And so we leave old Pete save Mansul, and to our friends of the radio audience, we've been a pleasant good name.