Speaker 1: Welcome to Law the Podcast. I'm Lex Lasry from a Victorian and Northern Territory Supreme Court judge and recently retired from the Northern Territory Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: I'm Greg Barnes. I'm a barrister, I'm a senior council and I've got a long standing interest in law reform issues.
Speaker 1: So Greg, this is the first episode of Law the Podcast. I suppose we ought to have a quick chat about what we expect to get out of this and what the podcast is about. It's not a podcast for lawyers. It's a podcast for everyone interested in legal issues, and we'll talk about legal issues, both Australian and international legal issues and broad legal issues including political legal issues. So it should be an interesting journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I think that the point is, and I often say this to people in discussions, the law is our lives. We live the law every day, and the decision that courts make, the decisions that governments make when they pass laws, and the way the law interacts with people, you know, is really important. And we often said in a sort of one dimensional way we think of law. If you ask people what's the law, they'll often just say you know, a judge and a jury something of that nature. And of course the law is really complex and it does need, I think a podcast like this to get people interested to understand because it can be, as we know, Lex, a very dry topic.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, in this first episode, we're certainly going to be talking about the way the law affects people because we're going to be concentrating on very recent developments in the Northern Territory with Abbi Raj Kumar, who's the vice president of the Criminal Lawyers Association of the Northern Territory. We'll be going into some detail with her about issues in the Northern Territory, which, in my opinion, Greg, everybody in the country ought to be interested in. You're up there at the moment I am.
Speaker 2: I know that you've been up here previously and your reputation is intact. Lex, I've fixed it for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, thanks the diminish it I had.
Speaker 2: I've done nothing to diminish your great reputation. But I am up here for a couple of weeks. I've been working with NAJA, the Aboriginal Legal Service, a lot of young lawyers there. It's a fantastic enriching experience, but also we'll talk about it more. The territory is a hard gig, yes, it is. The things that are happening up here are extraordinary and it should be Australia wide news. That reminds me a bit of the Deep South in the United States and the stories you hear there about the systematic racism and the way in which the place operates is really in many ways and apartheid state in terms of how the justice system and society operates.
Speaker 1: All right, So we'll get into it. To those people who are listening for the first time, don't forget to like and subscribe. That helps us. It helps our podcast get noticed by people, and that's important to get the word out and to get the issues talked about. So we'll get underway.
Speaker 2: The Northern Territory government has decided on legislation after that tragic death that young girl in al Springs earlier this year.
Speaker 3: A man has been charged with the murder of a five year old girl in Alice Springs, along with two other offenses. The girl, now known as Kumenjai Little Baby, disappeared from the Old Timers Aboriginal town camp, triggering a massive search.
Speaker 2: They've decided to put through the Parliament, and of course there's no upper house here, so it just goes straight through, which really weakens the protections for Aboriginal kids and without any exaggeration, you'd have to say, is creating a stolen generation for the future. There have been a number of protests. I know that some of my colleagues at NAJA have been in those protests this week, but unfortunately the bill is now law.
Speaker 1: Well, we're very lucky in this episode to have Abbi raj Kuma with us Am. I right that one of the main things that the legislation does is repeal something called the child placement principle that was I think a result of the Bringing Them Home Report. How did that principle work and why is it so significant?
Speaker 4: That is right?
Speaker 5: So it's the Aboriginal in Terres Strait Island a child placement principle, which is a principle that was nationally graded by every single jurisdiction and this legislation is a clear divergence from that principle, which is why every single state and territory apart from Queensland and the Northern Territory, their child Protection ministers have written a statement affirming the importance of the principle and making it very clear that that principle needs to be central to child protection decision making, and also makes it clear that it's entirely consistent with child safety. So this idea that you know, moving away from this principle is about making children or the lives of children safer or making sure that we're keeping children safe, is completely not true. It's a principle that is fundamentally was put in place to ensure that Abergeal and Torres right Islander children have connections to culture and family and king in a way that is safe. That is, if children aren't allowed to remain in their family home for whatever reason, that there is still an acute and proper avenue and mechanism for them to continue those important connections to culture, family and king. And really that's just gone now, so it's not even about watering it down, it's just gone.
Speaker 2: NIJA put out a very very good and comprehensive release on this on the tenth of July, which is still current because the build didn't changed. But one of the things that pointed out was currently well in the legislation as it was, there were rights for indigenous children and their families and communities. So one of the one of the protections, for example, was that there had to be consideration to original child's right to enjoy the Aboriginal culture and tradition of the child's family and community. And you know, obviously through that connection that's now been weakened. Using a phrase, and it's used a number of times where rights have been stripped away, it's now the phrase should should be given the opportunity to participate. So there's nothing mandatory about it at all.
Speaker 1: Am I right in saying that one of the things that was a hallmark of this legislation was the complete lack of consultation and the very short time for anyone to say anything about it before the government put it before the parliament.
Speaker 5: That's exactly right, And as we're all very much aware, what's incredibly risky about legislation innately is when legislation has passed this quickly, when it's passed this quickly without a proper exposure draft, for example, time for groups and bodies and individuals to express their concerns. Obviously, the opposition put forward some amendments that were informed by community and by people on the ground, including lawyers, and none of that's been heard, and a reflection of why that process was such an appalling and frankly disrespectful approach to law making is the fact that the Children's Commissioner s Sheelena Musk, who was the first Aboriginal Children's Commissioner here in the territory, decided that all she could do was resign because it was so clear that the government simply wasn't going to listen.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just extraordinary that in the twenty first century you would get legislation which is designed to diminish the rights of the most vulnerable group in the community Australia wide, but certainly.
Speaker 1: In the Northern Territory.
Speaker 2: It's an extraordinary piece of legislation and I think on it again shows that I've been interested in Abbey's comments on this because she, of course worked for Mark Dreyfus, the former Attorney General in the Albanesi government. A lack of a Human Rights Act in Australia, this sort of legislation probably wouldn't pass muster in somewhere like Canada.
Speaker 1: What do you think.
Speaker 4: I think that's exactly right.
Speaker 5: There's a reason why so many groups have been pushing for human rights up for so long. It would provide Australia a proper framework to make sure that we're able to properly protect against legislation like this. But frankly, I'm not surprised that legislation like this has passed.
Speaker 4: In the Northern Territory.
Speaker 5: We're in a situation, unfortunately, when it comes to the justice system where, for example, senior ministers and the Chief Minister of this territory thinks that increasing the prison population is a good thing, that it's a sign of success in the justice system, and legislation like this, whilst it's about the child protection system, will of course have a direct impact on the justice system.
Speaker 1: What's their rationale for doing it? I mean, what do they say will be the benefits of the legislation?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that's a I mean the reason I think there's silence by Happy Hi myself is it's a very good question.
Speaker 1: Do they not try to rationalize it? They don't bother they just do.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say this because I don't come from here, but I think this is an element of the systemic and in trench racism of conservatives in the Northern Territory. I mean, if you tried this sort of legislation lets in Victoria, which is by no means perfect. I mean, it would be seen as outlandish and seriously inhumane. But you know, in terms of what's happening here, what's dangerous about it is that every expert, like every expert within the territory and outside the territory, says this legislation is the wrong way to go turn back, and yet government just ignores it.
Speaker 5: I think fundamentally the government is trying to explain this legislation by saying that by getting rid of that principle, or by watering down that principle, we we'll ensure that children Aboriginal in torrest rate I landed children in particular, dealt with earlier. That there's earlier interventions. And what they're trying to say is that right now children are left in unsafe environments for too long a period of time, and they're simply left in those environments because they are Aboriginal Torres strait islander and they're blaming the principle and that is fundamentally incorrect, which is what that statement from all of the other ministers across the country have said. And sorry, we should discuss this. Actually, Greg at the outset, nobody. None of us want to see children in unsafe environments, who are being treated poorly, who are simply not being able to you know, who are in a position where they're not able to be taken care of by their parents. None of us want to see that this legislation isn't about that, and I think that's the point that we really need to drum home and make sure that Australians across the country understand the principle itself does not interfere with ensuring that all children are safe. And unfortunately, the government is trying to spin this legislation, which, as Greg has rightly pointed out, absolutely is rooted in systemic and institutional racism. They're trying to spin legislation is something that they're doing to keep Aboriginal and terrrest rate Island a children safe, and frankly, we can't just sit back and accept that that's why they're doing it.
Speaker 1: So does it mean that there's a challenge coming up in relation to legislation.
Speaker 2: I would have thought so there's As we all know as lawyers, there have been a number of challenges to end legislation. I remember I think there was a challenge in relation to the intervention legislation in two thousand and seven. So I wouldn't be surprised to see some claim. I think lawyers will be all over this, and for the right reason.
Speaker 5: Let's not forget that we're facing a federal court challenge about dictating a cap on compensation when the government acts unlawfully in prisons.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, we've got a history of challenges and there's a reason for it, and it's because we've unfortunately set this precedent of bringing in laws like this that are rushed, that haven't been properly consulted, and it's all to make political points.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is not just N two related to Australia wide, but the hate speech laws passed earlier this year. There was a one day hearing I think of a Senate committee and then a week or a few days to put your submissions in and the bill was already drafted. This is the same problem and it's I mean, as you've just said, Abbi, the problem is that you get bad legislation, you get bad outcomes.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you, Abbi about the Northern Territory have now sought to cap haven't they payments to people who are the victims of unlawful acts in prisons, illegal strip searchers, assaults, various other things which are compensable if someone can demonstrate that the officer concerned was acting unlawfully. The Northern Territory have now sought to place a financial camp on how much compensation can be paid, and that is now the subject of federal court challenge.
Speaker 5: Well, many Australians may remember the full Corners report on don Dale Youth Detention Center when kids were tear gassed and split hoods were used against them.
Speaker 6: Those cells were ghoulish, They were something medieval.
Speaker 3: They were kept in those cells for up to twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 1: They had no running water.
Speaker 6: The only water in the cell was in the toilet, so they couldn't even wash their hands. They had to request water. They eat food with their hands. It must have been sheer hell, sheer heal.
Speaker 5: That was an example of the Territory using Dracroonian methods and frankly torturous methods in a use just as setting. And obviously all of that then went made its way through the courts and various compensation payments were paid out in twenty twenty one, the Northern Territory sought to bring in caps. For example, if an illegal strip search took place, I think it was about a six thousand dollar cap. If there was an illegal assault, it was about a three thousand dollar cap. Prior to that, there was no cap. And you've got to ask yourself why the Northern Territory government thought and thinks that we need caps in order to make sure that the government doesn't have to pay out huge amounts of money for the way in which it treats prisoners.
Speaker 1: Well, we know that it's almost an acknowledgment that there's unlawful activity going on all the time, which you've properly compensated for is very expensive.
Speaker 2: Well, and of course this encourages unlawful behavior. This encourages another Dondale because you know, you'd go to a lawyer and a lawyer and'd say, well, you're only going to get six thousand dollars or five thousand dollars a lot of work in this and there's you know, no serious compensation. Makes it difficult to run these actions. The other thing I should say is you took about spithoods. As I understand it, the current government said spithoods are back. They have, despite the despite the internationally shameful figure of Dylan Vola in the wheelchair with the spit hood, this government says, oh, well, who cares. You know, it gets me a vote, you know in Catherine or Alice Springs or dal and I'll do it. It's just you know, you combine that with capscomb spray. I understand Abby that there will be armed officers on buses. That's right, this is the Deep South. I mean Trump would come here and say this is fantastic this place because Chief Minister's doing a great job.
Speaker 4: Him Wood and it's something we should all be incredibly embarrassed about.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, what's the idea of armed officers on buses? What are they there for?
Speaker 2: Well, there's so much lawlessness. I've seen a few buses driving past. I have to say they look very sedate to me. But apparently there's some terrible lawlessness on buses to the point where you have to have offices with guns. I mean you can just imagine a confined environment in there. A person with mental illness, for example, has an episode on a bus, which is frightening for people, and you could imagine some panicked kid who's in a uniform just pulling the gun out.
Speaker 1: That's what will happen.
Speaker 2: Inevitably. I mean, you hope not, but it's inevitable.
Speaker 1: The other issue which Abby I was wanting to ask you about, although it's been bubbling away for a while now, but there's a serious issue about legal aid in the Northern Territory, isn't there, and in particular whether or not the territory government is funding legal aid properly so that the workload can be dealt with. Am I right about that? You are?
Speaker 5: And it's an incredibly concerning reality here in the territory where, unlike every other state and territory in the country, if you need a lawyer, you won't necessarily get one. We've spoken at length in the past about how important legal aid is, not just in the territory but across the country. And even legal aid in its current form means that there are people that fall through the gaps. But here in the territory, if you're not in custody, you do not get the legal aid lawyer.
Speaker 4: Wow, And that is incredible.
Speaker 2: At risk of going to jail.
Speaker 5: Even if you're at risk of going to jail, if you are not currently in custody, you do not get the legal aid lawyer. And the reason why that is the case is because the current government took away about four million dollars of funding.
Speaker 1: While saying they're increasing it infected diminished.
Speaker 5: They've explained it away is an increase in baseline funding, but they've completely scrapped all of the expensive case budget. They've scrapped the discretionary budget, all of which, as we all know, is where a lot of legal aid funding has to end up going. Trials are expensive and so fundamentally and we know this because the Director of Legal Aid, Catherin Voumard, sent a letter to Klan explaining the realities of the funding, and so we know that there was ultimately and fundamentally a decrease or a cut in funding and as a they've had to cut services. And what that means is if you're a Territorian finds yourself in some kind of trouble with the law and you can't afford a lawyer, you are at it alone.
Speaker 1: And so what happens what happens? I mean you're talking about cases in the local court and cases in the Supreme Court as well.
Speaker 5: Yep, talking about both cases. I mean, there's complex avenues that we could talk about. We don't have time to talk about at all. There's nice dietric applications that could be made to try and I guess put your case on pause until a lawyer can be either allocated to you or until you can afford a lawyer. But all that means is massive delays in the justice system, and of course justice not being served.
Speaker 1: Are judges and magistrates or local court judges and Supreme Court judges, are they being asked to stop cases and listen until a lawyer can be found for someone? And is that happening? Cases are just stopping.
Speaker 5: It's only very recently that there was a Court of Criminal Appeal decision which made it clear that Dietrich applications could be made in the local court. So we're starting to see those applications being made and we're certainly seeing justice on pause. We've seen it in the Supreme Court from the Chief Justice himself, who made it very clear that a defendant was not able to simply represent himself in a serious indictable trial where he was likely, if found guilty, to go to prison for a long period of time.
Speaker 2: We should explain for our listeners. The Dietrich principle, which is that the High Court said many many years ago, I think over at nineteen ninety two, said that you know, if you in a serious trial and you're not legally represented, there can be what's called to stay and adjournment until you get a lawyer. And that's been a principle for a long long time now in Australian law. Leaving aside the human rights issues about the right people have to legal representation, this is really dumb forinancial management on the part of the Northern Territory government because delays is cost to the court. It means eventually what happens, as has happened in tas many a list of delays, delayed cases get so big you have to go on higher judges to sit to try and help clean up that list. But also it means more pressure on the prison system. So you know, you might think, politically art smart, why should we give lawyers, you know, these defense lawyers money, But it's fiscally irresponsible, yes, I mean, like you know, banging everybody up in prison and youth detention it costs a bomb and you know, government's governments seem to think that you know, we've got to cut here and cut here and cut here, But what they're doing is just kicking the can down the road.
Speaker 1: My fear is that the sort of tabloid pictures of more and more people going to jail and going to jail for longer, and the problem not being solved, but the imprisonment becomes the solution. My fear is that in the current atmosphere in this country, that sort of stuff appeals to an increasingly large number of voters and is very popular. Regrettably, people aren't interested in what happens after the prison gate shuts. They just want to see someone going behind the gate.
Speaker 5: It is and it's very concerning that that is the case. But I think what's important to talk about and to remember is, as Greg said, obviously the immense cost. I mean, you could put someone up in the Hilton here in Darwin in the dry season. It's about four hundred dollars a day that was keeping people incarcerated. Obviously, there's a huge amount of money that we're spending on it, but it's also just incredibly stupid policy. Our prisons are not designed to rehabilitate people. There are no programs that work that are in prisons. So this idea that we're just going to lock everyone up and somehow the problem's going to magically disappear. It's just completely preposterous. And as you say, Lex, yes it may appeal to some people, but I actually think that Territorians are smarter than the government thinks. Territorians understand that to the most part, if you put someone in jail for a short period of time and then you let them out, nothing has changed in that time. If anything, Actually the evidence shows that things get worse.
Speaker 4: They certainly don't get better.
Speaker 5: And so I think that is why I'm so concerned about the rhetoric and the lines that are being thrown out in relation to the government being proud of the increase in incarceration. Somehow that increase is being seen as a measure of success, when really it should be seen for what it is, which is a measure of failure. Government policy failing, which is leading to people falling off that cliff and landing in prison.
Speaker 2: Well, and then get you get increased what we call recidivism, right, that is coming back into the system because you've committed an offense within two years of release, and again you'd just piling on the expense. One other issue that I wanted to raise and just pulled out some data before the podcast. Four one hundred and sixty seven per one hundred thousand adults is the Indigenous incarceration rate in the Northern Territory for white for Europeans, it's two hundred and twenty five. I mean, that's just staggering. I mean, in your practice, for example, you did a lot of criminal how often would you see a white defendant?
Speaker 5: Incredibly rarely. I mean when I was at legal eight it was. It was obviously a lot higher given that Nager exists. But all you have to do is do a prison visit Greek to understand the reality of prisons here in the territory.
Speaker 1: Or go to the court. I think in the time, the relatively short time I spent up there, I think I sentenced at most two non indigenous accused. All the rest were Indigenous.
Speaker 2: Well, you go to the local court in Darwin, where I've been going the last couple of weeks, if you see a non indigenous face, my experience was, I mean, one it's extremely rare, and two they may well be a witness. But one of the things I did want to say about this, of course, is that people say, oh, well, you know, Indigenous people commit more crime. I mean, the real issue is dispossession and poverty, lack of opportunity. You know, we could keep going there and that's why you have over representation in your justices.
Speaker 1: And it won't ever improve under the current regime, no prospect.
Speaker 5: That's right, And lex, I'm curious to hear your experience as a judge in terms of the stories that you heard, But would I be right, and assuming that most of the pleas that you'd see in the Supreme Court, you're hearing a huge amount about a person's life. You're hearing what they've gone through in their story. It's incredibly rare that you don't hear a devastating story of life and policy affecting someone in such a negative way.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, it's the bug me principle. Pretty much. Every day you just hear continuous story of deprivation, and I just don't get a sense that there's any will to do anything about improving that over all circumstances. It's it's just seems to me in the Northern Territory to be at least at government level, to be accepted as a factive life that we just have to put up with. It's just the will in the people who could do something about it just isn't there at the moment.
Speaker 2: Well, not only that, I think, I think under the current government, as Abby was pointing out, I think there's some pride take and political pride take and in the fact that they lock people up. In fact, the deputy Chief Minister up here is a guy called Jared Mayley, who I think.
Speaker 1: He's a lawyer.
Speaker 2: His brother's a lawyer.
Speaker 1: His brother's lawyer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Peter, and I know Peter, and we're not criticizing Petter at all. But his brother said words the effect of if you're getting into trouble, we'll find you a bed. And what he meant was it mean. It didn't mean harmless shelter, he meant prison. I mean that's the attitude, and the attitude is also let's build more prisons. I mean, it's it's a pretty some of these ministers here don't go to the United States of all places where you're seeing some states, right wing states like Texas close prisons not because they've developed bleeding hearts or compassion, but because of the expense it just doesn't work, and they're thinking, why are we spending all our budget on this one. We could be spending a non preventative programs or better schooling, etc. So you know, the penny is dropping amongst some of the right around the world, but not here.
Speaker 1: No now, Abbe, I thought we'd conclude your segment in this podcast by giving you a chance to plug the Criminal Lawyers Association of the Northern Territory, better known as CLANT. You've just held a very successful conference in Bali which celebrates, apart from anything else, forty years of that conference. Tell us a bit about the work that CLANT does and the things you're involved in.
Speaker 4: Thanks.
Speaker 5: CLANT was founded in nineteen eighty six, and as you've said, we've just celebrated our huge fortieth anniversary in Bali. We had two hundred and forty five delegates from across the country and it was an incredible opportunity for defense lawyers, prosecutors, judges. We had psychologists and experts all sitting around discussing some of the more serious issues that are plaguing the territory and of course the country. CLANT was created to be a voice in the criminal justice system for the most vulnerable and disadvantaged people here in the territory, and I'm really proud that Clant.
Speaker 4: Has continued to be that voice.
Speaker 5: We've had incredible people work their way through either being the president or being members, and we've got a long history of making sure that when laws like the ones that we've discussed on this podcast are pasted, that the truth is being told in some way, and that defendants victims of crime as well, that everybody has a voice and is heard in a way in which that is meaningful.
Speaker 1: Abby, thank you very much for being part of our podcast. Been a great pleasure to have you and to have your insight arts I must say, Greg, perhaps I won't speak for you because I'm a lot older than you, but as someone who's a lot older than everybody, it's great to see people of Abby's talent and commitment involved in these issues. It's the thing that gives us hope that people like that will really make a difference. So ABBI thank you again for being part of our podcast.
Speaker 2: Just add to that, the young lawyers at NARGA that I work with are all much younger than me, but I think it's fantastic to see that sort of commitment. I mean it's you know, you come out of law school and you're a young lawyer and you've got enough on your plate trying to establish your practice. But I think the law is political, and I think Abby, it's all strength to your hand because your work is critical, particularly in dark times. I think that's when it really counts.
Speaker 4: I think it's really important.
Speaker 5: I think one of the things that keeps all of the young lawyers as inspired as we are and as determined to make a difference in whatever way we can as were, despite how difficult it can be, especially in the current climate, is the hope that we see when we see, especially young people in the criminal justice system.
Speaker 4: Actually turn their lives around. Yeah.
Speaker 5: You know, a lot of us go out to remote communities, we go out to water, we go out to Gombologna.
Speaker 4: And we see these beautiful kids.
Speaker 5: We hear their beautiful stories, and they might have had an incredibly difficult upbringing and they've seen all sorts of things that none of us could even imagine. And yes they've gotten into trouble, and yes they've made some bad decisions, but over the one two or three years that you spend with them, you see such positive changes, you know, whether they've gotten a job, or whether they've taken up a sport, whether they've come into dull and realized that there are opportunities for them that they want to take on. There are so many beautiful stories of hope and positivity out there, and it's really easy to be all doom and gloom sometimes and talk about all the problems, but they are committed lawyers and interpreters and psychologists and practitioners and social workers that are doing everything they can despite the current climate to make sure that especially young people have every single opportunity to thrive. And that is something we can all hold onto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great that's a great way to win this and it is inspiring when you see the winds. It's not all about gloom and doerm and people cycling in and out of prison. There are some great stories.
Speaker 1: So thank you, Abby, Thanks Abby, Thanks so much. Well. Greg. There's a lot to talk about in the Northern Territory, and I think we ought to resolve now that we're going to keep talking about these issues as the podcast goes on and develops, because everybody in the country, not just in the Northern Territory, everybody in the country ought to be interested in this, and they ought to be interested in the deprivation that Indigenous people have to undergo through in many cases no fault at all of their own. And I just, I just, I must say I find the tolerance of injustice to Indigenous people, the tolerance of it by people, is really repugnant. People just turn their backs and somehow or are there something's got to be done about this, closing the gap, whatever the measures are, we're just letting it happen. And I think it's an appalling indictment on us.
Speaker 2: I mean, we saw one government intervene in the Northern territory. I think for the wrong reasons. The House back in two thousand and seven, the Albanezi government could and should intervene because, just to explain, territories are more susceptible to commonwealth governments intervening because they're not states. And you know, it's so bad my observations up here, but also talking with Abby and others, it's so bad up here that the comwealth aught to intervene. And you can't imagine that some of the reformist governments of the past, the Whitlam government, Malcolm Fraser who had a great commitment to Aboriginal people. You can't imagine that they would have sat by. But unfortunately we live in an age of political timidity.
Speaker 1: Oh and in the handsome era where the sort of nonsense that comes out of her mouth about Indigenous people seems to be getting traction. I mean, it's just appalling.
Speaker 2: And people don't remember this. This started under Howard with this term mainstream. We got a mainstream all these Aboriginal programs, as though there was no disadvantage. But anyway, well that was great, Lex. I think you know one of the things we can do with this podcast is get voices from outside the axis if you like, of Sydney, Melbourne and Camber and because there are some fantastic voices around this country well worth hearing and listening to in the justice space at the coll face like Abby, but also doing some fascinating research in a range of areas that you can expect. Our podcast will broadcast at various points as we move along on this journey.
Speaker 1: Okay, Greg, thanks Lex, see you next time. This episode was produced by Bravecasting Media, edited by Michael Tankard. Original music by Justin Humphries from Phoenix Sound Studios. This podcast is recorded on the lands of the Wrungerie people of the Coolan Nation. We pay our respects to their elders, past, present and emerging. Thank you for listening, See you next week.