Speaker 1: Life Uncut acknowledges the traditional custodians of country whose lands were never seated. We pay our respects to their elders past and present.
Speaker 2: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. This episode was recorded on Drug Wallamata Land.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, and welcome back to another episode of Life Uncut. I'm Brittany and I'm producer Keisha feeling in for Laura. Okay, hold alone one second. I think I've left the stove on. My past is cookie.
Speaker 2: Hang on.
Speaker 3: Well, al redes that I will tell you what we are doing in this episode.
Speaker 2: This was such an incredible chat.
Speaker 3: We are chatting with Taya Heartless and Alisha Rogers. Now Taya and Alisha are ever in America and they are in a closed quad polyamorous relationship and is the pastor boiling over the stove?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm back, I'm turned the stove box. Yes, today's episode is absolutely incredible.
Speaker 1: I saw this online and I had to reach out and contact the women because I was so intrigued by how it worked and listening to them talk about how the relationship work really.
Speaker 2: Opened my eyes to a whole nother perspective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the way it works is that Taya is married to Sean and Alicia is married to Tyler, or at least they were individually married couples. Okay, so they came together. They are now a part of the One family. They've got four kids, they've got a fifth one on the way. The biological origin of those kids is not known because it's not important to them, and they live their whole life as the one family under the one roof.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very modern day Brady Bunge with a sexy twist. I think you're kind of gonna love listening to it as much as we loved recording it. My little gold medalist over here for the one hundred meters athletics hurdles.
Speaker 3: Pretty ukily out of big weekend and you took home a gold trophy I did.
Speaker 1: It wasn't in hurdles, wasn't in one hundred meters sprint. No, it was the Media week they called the next of the Best awards, and I.
Speaker 2: Hate even saying that out loud.
Speaker 1: So Mediawig had like Industry Award, which is really nice, and it's for like radio, TV, like all the front of house kind of things, but then all the back of house kind of stuff as well, production and sales and literally everyone that's involved in media, which I think is really nice, A really big celebration with everyone that works in the industry.
Speaker 2: So it was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I was nominated, so you get nominated, like I was nominated a couple of months ago for Next to the Best Radio.
Speaker 2: I was stoked and got nomination.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I was like, there's no fucking way I would ever win, and long story short, I want.
Speaker 2: So that's what I'm gonna say. But I'm really bad. I absolutely no.
Speaker 1: I just I definitely didn't expect to win, and yeah, it was really nice. It was also really nice because Mitch Drury, who you guys all know and love as well. He's our radio co host and he won bronze, so he was there as well for an award, but he also presented me my award, so that was really nice. It was really nice to win an award and be recognized for something that you love and you work really hard for and you're passionate about. But then also to be given the award by like one of your closest friends.
Speaker 2: Is really cool as well. Yeah, this is all like this is very lovey and very anything I couldn't even win the Bachelor.
Speaker 1: The last thing I won was the Easter hat parade when I was four years old, and all I got was.
Speaker 2: Like extra streggs. This is a real moment. It really is in making up for it. No, it's really care that's definitely.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely gonna put my award front sender next to my Easter hat.
Speaker 2: We're very proud of you, and I'm not surprised you won.
Speaker 3: But even if you are well done, thanking big round of appause.
Speaker 2: The reason that I am sitting.
Speaker 3: Here again today, apologies if you're getting sick of me, is because our wonderful Laura ben She's a little busy knocking people out on.
Speaker 2: The ants floor.
Speaker 1: So Laura, our lovely Laura Burnie is still on Dancing with the Stars. Did you see the video she posted where she chaoed her dance partner Daniel.
Speaker 2: It was like a behind the scenes video. Do you know? It wasn't the footage that made me so alarmed?
Speaker 3: It was the sound. It was because you know when you slow down a video and it's.
Speaker 2: Like they did like it.
Speaker 1: For anyone playing at home, go on to Laura's Instagram if you haven't seen her. She posted her behind the scenes of her getting chaoed. Well, no, she chaoto her dance partner. So they're they're practicing in the studio. She's in this little black outfit and they're doing some I don't know what the charter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they're practicing the charter.
Speaker 1: And she did like a toil out and she went to rapid fire toil in and a full on like hook with elbow to have dance partner's cheekbone. He dropped to the floor. He went flying like two minion dropped the floor and you heard. I was like, surely she's just broken this guy's face.
Speaker 2: Anyway, dance stas is going really well for Laura.
Speaker 3: Was like, I wouldn't fuck with Laura Hey after that video. I think I used to think that you'd be the badass. If ever I was in trouble and I needed someone to like take someone out on the street, I really would have put my money on you, but I'm revoting.
Speaker 1: I'd like to put Laura forward. No, I would still put your money on me because she's so gangly. She can't control the limbs. Her limbs go flying like.
Speaker 2: But Laura is still on dancement stars, so we're all rooting for her.
Speaker 1: We actually do not know when it's airing, but I know I can say it's soon.
Speaker 2: I know it's soon. It's probably we got to be with the next month.
Speaker 1: I can't get in trouble for saying that because I genuinely don't know, and I haven't signed an NBA yet.
Speaker 2: But we're really rooting for our girl over here. So Keisha's on board. On the podcast, Kisha, you're actually lucky. I was about to say the exact same. I'm surprised, and I'm sitting here today, you are lucky.
Speaker 1: Did I let you back in that hot seat after the things that you did to me last week?
Speaker 3: I think you're lucky because I have experienced some of the most intense, hurtful trolling.
Speaker 2: I had to deal with in my entire life.
Speaker 3: And I'm of course talking about your stupid wallgate photos.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm calling this scenario. Now, it's a scandal.
Speaker 3: This is a three weeks sagon. Now we've talked about this for three weeks. It's the issue that will not go away because.
Speaker 2: You don't let it.
Speaker 1: It's the issue of the photographs that I put on my wall. We have mentioned the last three weeks in the podcast so Yes. I printed out some photos of my boyfriend and Ben and I and put them on my wall, and Keisha had a problem with it. Laura Burn had a problem with it. My friend Kim a problem with a lot of people in my life seemed to have had a problem with the fact that I am in love and put some photos.
Speaker 2: On my wall. We did a video and it sort of went viral. It went pretty big, got picked up by some pretty big people. I think Vogue gonna talk about it.
Speaker 1: Want to Vogue wanna Passion, not style, the merry condo of not get what is it not sparking joy that's coming next on Netflix. Vogue reached out to me and they said, we saw the interior of your home and we want to feature it.
Speaker 2: Okay, how believable was that?
Speaker 3: So we put up a video, right, I reckon over ninety percent of the comments and or messages that I got that were not in the hate category. And by the way, I know that some of the messages I got were like tongue in cheek taking the piss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Jasha wasn't actually trouble you life, as were just fun trolling They were like, this is so mean. Leave Brittany alone stuff believing Brittish she's newly in love.
Speaker 3: And I was like, mate, I know that, but the photos are too small, and this is what everyone kept on bringing up with me.
Speaker 2: But I agree with that, but don't you try and bend the truth.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: That was not your problem, and we have video evidence. Your problem was that I shouldn't have printed photos out at all. Now, when I got the photos, I agree they're too small for the space.
Speaker 2: I agree that is not the problem. But imagine, imagine if I had made them bigger. What you would have done. Is not just the size, as all of the.
Speaker 3: People who messaged me mentioned, it is the problem.
Speaker 2: What's the Okay, So I didn't notice this at first, only news comment on one day. I believe what I said was it just looks weird.
Speaker 3: It's weird, and I've now got more evidence as to why it's weird.
Speaker 2: I'm five foot two, right, so I'm sure. And I was.
Speaker 3: Looking at the photos kind of being like, they're really high up on the wall, but maybe they're not high up on the wall for someone who's a bit taller.
Speaker 2: They're too high.
Speaker 3: It's the size, it's the composition of the fact that not all the one it goes like portrait, landscape portrait.
Speaker 2: I did that on purpose. I thought it would be cute. Also, I picked my three favorite photos and one of them was taken in landscape, so I worked with it. Okay, my rebuttal fucking court. Proceeding my rebuttal to the shrine on the wall is I live in a rental. Believe it or not.
Speaker 1: I do not own a house in Bondi Beach. I will never own a house in Bondi Beach, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: But there were already holes in the wall. So I worked with what I had, and.
Speaker 1: I have tried to do the best I can with the amount of love that I have left in this room. And that is what I came up with, the wall shrine of the semi professional photoshit that we didn't actually book at the Louver, And I'm happy with it and I love it. And a lot of people wrote to me. Actually ninety percent of people in the poll said having photos of yourself and your partner is fine. They only said it was gonna be a problem if I had three giant photos of myself on my wall.
Speaker 2: Which I do not. I did not have one photo of myself on the wall.
Speaker 1: I also asked Ben who is the subject of the photo shoot?
Speaker 2: And Ben thought it was very lovely. Of course he did.
Speaker 3: He's the one who's in the pictures.
Speaker 2: Get laid. He's like, it was amazing, he just laid. Let's be real. Anyway, Wargate saga, look faite.
Speaker 3: The people came to defend you, okay, they they came with their pitchforks fierce.
Speaker 2: The one hashtag I wish took off was hashtag live laugh Leave Brinillo, Like that.
Speaker 1: Was such a missed opportunity. Like years, I'm here for the people. The people have spoken to Shrine.
Speaker 2: He's okay. My most valued comment was just Shrine in capital letters.
Speaker 1: We actually even had if you were listened to the podcast a few months ago.
Speaker 2: Comedian Joanne McNally. She's the irishmedia we had on.
Speaker 1: She's one of the hosts of My Therapist Ghosted Me, a great podcast. She's so fucking funny. Anyway, she slipped my damns and she's like, I am dead. I cannot stop laughing at this whole Shrine Wallgate and.
Speaker 2: Made it to Ireland. The Shrine made it to Island.
Speaker 3: Made you know girl Joanne mcnaly anyway, Man Island.
Speaker 2: But speaking of shrines, this got me thinking I had a friend. This wasn't not that long ago. I had some friends. They live in the UK. They're guys.
Speaker 1: What they did to their flatmates so their flatmate that a bunch of guys that live together, three guys. One of their flatmates had this date that he was so fucking chuffed about, like he was over the moon about this. Cheek was a ten. He was like, I'm vibing, I'm connecting. I think this could be it.
Speaker 2: I'm so serious about her.
Speaker 1: It was the second date and he knew that he was going to I shouldn't say kne was going to sleep with it, but they were.
Speaker 2: They were there.
Speaker 1: He's like he had said to the boys, if you can clear out tonight, you know, like we're going to dinner. I got this lovely date. I reckon you know, I would love to spend good night with her in the apartment alone.
Speaker 2: Things could get a little hot. And also that's what you do right when your flatmates and you live with people. Anyway, boys, you need to clear out tonight. I got this hot date.
Speaker 1: They agree, all yours mate, we're here for you. We're going to support you in your quest for love. So he goes out on the date when his future wife.
Speaker 2: Where do they go? Did they go to? What pub? Do they? They went to dinner? No? They oh? The boys, Oh, I don't know. You just gotta leave. It's just the rule of the flats, like and somewhere else to say tonight party or whatever you want to do. Those walls are paper Thin's true, but.
Speaker 1: I think it's more like, of course they can come back later in the night, but it's like to sleep like it is their house. But it's more like, you know, give us the majority of the night and come back and sleep when we're done.
Speaker 2: And does it? So they agree.
Speaker 1: So anyway, all Mat goes out in his date with his ten future wife. The boys inadverted Commas go out to the pub. But what they decided to do was they printed off, like thirty photos of Princess.
Speaker 2: Diana a shrine.
Speaker 1: They printed off thirty photos of Princess Diana, got heaps of candles and they put them in his room. Yeah, so they put a shrine of Princess Diana with candles and notes and like prints print offs of like magazines and stuff, and they put it all through his room.
Speaker 2: Then they left.
Speaker 1: Now when he comes back from his date, it's getting frisky and he's like, I'm going to lock this down.
Speaker 2: Goes into his bedroom and she turns on the light and there's a shrine of what would you do if you were the girl? Would you imagine? You imagine what I mean? Like, she's the people's princess. Okay, we all love princess blocking on another level, like from the grave, she's cock blocking. She's like, this ain't going down. Also, like the more.
Speaker 3: That you know in any of those scenarios when something like that happens, the more you defend and try to justify, like, oh this wasn't me, Like oh sorry, you know, like I promise, the more guilty you've seen, Like then you're like, I don't even like her.
Speaker 2: And then she's like I love princess. I like her, but not enough to print off, not to have thirty photos of her in my bed. Oh my god, that's what I do. I'd probably think I'd gone to the effort together.
Speaker 1: I'd probably want to get laid, But then I don't think i'd call him back, Like I think i'd commit and go through with the deed, because you don't. You reckon the second day, you're lying her you had a nice dinner, probably some wine, and always says you're already there.
Speaker 4: Do you know what.
Speaker 3: I've had a housemate stitch me up in a bit of a similar way to.
Speaker 2: This, explain what you've got such a problem with. Try the alarm bells are ringing.
Speaker 3: No, it's a similar kind of embarrassing moment, but they fucking got me really good.
Speaker 2: So I had started.
Speaker 3: Dating this musician and this is I'm talking like, oh, this must be seven eight years ago.
Speaker 2: It's like a long time ago.
Speaker 3: And I was living in this apartment in Newcastle with hilarious housemates. Right. So I'd started dating this musician and I had told them, hey, just so you know, he's coming around tonight, just getting their heads up. I didn't even ask them. I definitely didn't ask them to leave the apartment. And maybe maybe that was my number one mistake because just before he got there, one of my housemates started playing their music through.
Speaker 2: The speakers, right, the musicians music. Yes, So you know they were kind of like, well does this get you in the mood?
Speaker 3: You know, And they were taking the piss, which was all well and good until he I can't remember what speaker it was. It must have been one attached to like something in the lounge room or that kind of thing. And we're talking seven or eight years ago, so I don't remember them.
Speaker 2: I was a giant binbox six pe.
Speaker 3: I don't remember how it was played anyway, So music goes off, he comes over. It's all you know, It's gone great until like I was having a drink of wine on the couch. We were just catching up and I went to put some music on and I just hit on and out plays his music.
Speaker 2: So like, so the music was off when he got there.
Speaker 3: He was off, but it was like loaded in when you press it on it It's like kind of when you get back in your car and whatever was playing most recently starts starts playing. You're like, I would have preferred porn had to start playing, because I just looked like such a fucking fangirl. I was like, I'm seriously over Housebaates like they just you know, they were listening.
Speaker 2: He probably turned him on.
Speaker 1: Most musicians are so godlike complex, they won't people would be listening to.
Speaker 2: I would hope that that didn't turn him on. You probably get you paid for dinner. Every time his truck gets played, he gets money from it, just getting his streams. Babe, I supporting the cause I had this other friend.
Speaker 1: Now this was years ago, but it's just make him you think back another friend that did a similar thing.
Speaker 2: Guys. Again, it's always guys.
Speaker 1: I don't think I know any girls has cooked their friends same thing. Hot date was coming back to the apartment, so they went and bought. They must have just gone to like Kmart or something. They went bought fifty stuffed small toys and put them on his bed.
Speaker 2: So that when he comes home on the date, like you're getting freaky, legs arerapped around the waist.
Speaker 1: You know, your barge in to plunk on the bed and you can't lay down, and you sit down, all these teddies jump up like it's on a trampoline. They go everywhere, fifty stuffed teddies of all everything, all Australian animals, native animals.
Speaker 3: They would it be worse if it was all of the one type, all different?
Speaker 1: No, And so she thought he had a stuffed toy collection, and he's like, I don't know how to say.
Speaker 3: Not heat a yucky, yum, I have stuff toy one one.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: If there is a guy in his thirties that has a bedroom of stuff toys.
Speaker 2: Not yucky and yum, but there's alarm bells for me, I'd be like, I have did a guy that has those you know.
Speaker 3: Those like figurines with the big bubble head things.
Speaker 2: I don't know what they're.
Speaker 3: Actually called, but I went into his room and they were like, I'm not exaggerating more than fifty and put them in air bondies as collectibles, and it was a bit weird.
Speaker 2: You still slept with tast more than that, but I did find it a little a little strange. What would you do?
Speaker 1: Or like, seriously, you've gone back to your guy's house. Let's say it was the shrine or fifty stuff toys.
Speaker 2: What would you do? Am I the age that I'm at now? This weekend's Friday night. When you're in your.
Speaker 3: Early twenties, you like, they breathe in the wrong direction, and you're like, nope, that's an equal.
Speaker 2: When you get into your third a lot more slides right.
Speaker 3: You're like, I'm pretty sure he's a stalker and showing eighteen red flags on the first meeting.
Speaker 2: He just really cares about it, like it depends on how hot they are. If it does, if he's an eleven.
Speaker 3: If it's Zac Efron, I'm probably gonna say you play on.
Speaker 2: I don't really care how many stuff toys, zach Efron. I will role play as a stuff point with a cut off this dress. Zack. All do it.
Speaker 1: If you guys have a story like this writing, if you have stitched somebody up like this, or like a flat mate or some or a friend, or they've stitched you up, please write in because I reckon this will be brilliant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would absolutely love to read your prank stories.
Speaker 1: Speaking of love, I met I'm not saying you're in love, but I met Keisha's boyfriend Tom Blarone.
Speaker 2: I met Todd Blaroon. That's a bit of a stretch in real life. What did you think?
Speaker 1: He's exactly what I thought he'd be. I mean, it's hard because I feel like I already knew him because I've face timed him quite a few times. So Kisha and I have this relationship with each other's partners where we just all facetimed. No one knows each other, no one's real we're all just facetiming from a distance.
Speaker 3: So we're talking to a closed quad polyamorous family today on the podcast brilliantly maybe early stages. I'm not saying that I'm sexually attracted to Ben. I find him attractive in the sense that I'm like, I can recognize he is hot, and I know you're listening to this, so like, you're a great looking guy. Do I find you sexually attractive? No, because you're my best friend slash boss's partner.
Speaker 2: I also wonder like, should I be offended by.
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 2: I don't want to root you?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you want your friends to want to bang your boyfriend, not actually do it, but just like to recognize it they're hold Or do you want them to not find his attractive?
Speaker 2: Because I'm sort of like, what's wrong with him? Then, Keisha, why don't you want to.
Speaker 1: Make I feel confident enough want to bang my boyfriend?
Speaker 3: I feel confident enough to say that if I were to meet Ben none of us knew who he was, and I met him at a bar down the street, I'd find him very hot.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, you're a ride.
Speaker 3: But now because I know him and I also know him as your partner. Nothing could be more repulsive. Like I'm clenching right now, I'm clenching all of my orifices.
Speaker 2: Right now, you're clenching your vagina close in case he actually walks into You've never got to be worried about it. What I will say is I really like him. I've given him the tick of approval. Do you want to bang him? That was the next question. Do you no? But it's like we already share, Delilah, we're kind of halfway into this polyamory. Yeah, we are almost closed quad. I can't wait for the Daily Mail headline pretty ugly.
Speaker 1: And you do want your friends, it's always nice. You want your friends to be with good people and you want them to be happy.
Speaker 2: And there's nothing worse. I mean, there is a lot of things worse, but it's up there. Nothing worse than like when your friend he's like, hey, I want you to meet when your boyfriend and there just like a dick and they're they're rude and they don't treat people nicely, and.
Speaker 1: You don't vibe it. There's nothing worse because you're always gonna pretend to vibe it. But I don't pretend to vibe to blown.
Speaker 2: He's a great guy. Yeah, I'm tim to blow.
Speaker 1: That's a big thing because I used to like crunches, but now I'm too tu blowing do blow.
Speaker 2: I'm taking over.
Speaker 3: We have got a really funny accidentally unfiltered that came in that I would love.
Speaker 2: To share with you. Hit me.
Speaker 3: I feel like I am missing accidentally unfiltered. If you guys have any really good ones, can you please send them in. We've decided to only do them every now and then now because we didn't want to overcook the good stuff. Okay, so here it goes it reads. So when I was eighteen, I decided to go on a kentikie. My parents, especially my mom, and I are very open to talking about sex and everything like that, which is great most of the time. As I finished packing, my mum gave me the debrief that went something like, you know, just do whatever you want on your holiday, but make sure that you're safe. I'll buy you a pack of condoms just in case you get into that situation. The mom supportive. I like this, she's making sure that a daughter thing, you know, safe. My dad overhears the conversation decides he wants to be helpful, goes to his room, comes out and says, here, I have three left.
Speaker 2: Take these. Oh my god, I'm not sure what.
Speaker 3: Is worth your dad giving you the condoms or saying that he has only three lefts?
Speaker 2: So is it equal time? No dad going, dad support to go? No mom, I'll go and get my own condoms. Like I get this a support.
Speaker 1: But if you're old enough to you're having sex, you're old enough to get your own condoms. You don't need to get your frang off from your dad.
Speaker 3: Oh they're pretty expensive. I wouldn't mind a couple of freebies from your dad.
Speaker 2: And when he's like, oh i'm a bit short, I've only got this one left. I've only got three left.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the minimum they come in is like packs of ten extra lance. You know, if they were like the rib Yeah, the ribbed condoms make a difference. Have you ever felt one?
Speaker 1: They don't make a difference. I don't even imagine that he knew them anymore. I think they're out of action.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I've never experienced any of the like you know, this is meant to be better for her pleasure on although the looped ones are better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think the ribbed ones. The problem was it was giving men like a false sense of security.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 1: Well, they put the condom on and they thought half the job was done. They're like, oh yeah, better, Thank You's some so much confidence. You're like, no, bro, doesn't work like that. All right, Well that's enough of that.
Speaker 2: Let's get into the chat with Taya and Alicia. So we are lucky enough to have Taya and Alicia with us today. Guys, welcome to Life on CAD.
Speaker 4: Thanks for having us.
Speaker 2: Where are you both coming to us from?
Speaker 5: We're in Oregon, Lemanon, Oregon. We're about two hours outside of Portland.
Speaker 1: I stumbled across your story online because you guys are pretty viral at the moment. You've got a big TikTok account and I've seen quite a few interviews going around, and I was just so intrigued by your story. So I'm really looking forward to getting into today. But let's start with who you both were before you met, So who you were in your couple. So, Taya, did you want to go first? What was your situation?
Speaker 5: Like? Sure, I am married to Sean and we got married in twenty seventeen, so we'd been married for two years before we met Tyler and Alisha and had been together since twenty fifteen, and we were living closer to the Portland area, so about two hours side of where we are now, which is where Tyler and Alisha are from.
Speaker 2: What was your relationship like we've shown at that time? He were you guys as a couple.
Speaker 5: We didn't have any kids previous to meeting Tyler and Alisha, and we met through work, so we were kind of both workaholics at the time. We spent most of our time together through work, and life had kind of started. We both got new jobs separately, and life had kind of started to slow down for us. We were working security, so we worked a lot of nights and weekends and life started to slow down a little bit, and so it kind of changed our ability to spend more time together doing other things outside of work, and that changed our dynamic a little bit and allowed us to go out and have a little bit more fun overall. So that was really nice.
Speaker 2: And how about you and Tyler Alisha?
Speaker 4: So, Tyler and I have been together since two thousand and seven. We got married twenty twelve. So when we met Sean Taya, we were just about seven years married, and we have two kids prior to meeting them, and at the time, let me think if if I can remember their ages, right, I think they were four.
Speaker 2: You say, I want my kids' names again.
Speaker 4: And Tyler and I had been kind of into the swinger community before we had kids, so like seven years prior to that, before we got married, and then we kind of settled down and did life for a little bit, you know, got a house and had kids, and we were at the point where we didn't want to have any more kids and we're just like, yeah, let's explore again. And we ended up matching with Shan and Taya on an app and they were the first couple that we matched with and then ended up going on a date with and falling in love.
Speaker 1: So, so what were the reasons for you, both individually and your relationships that you decided to start swinging? So, Alicia, you had said that you guys had done it for quite a long time and it was obviously just for some excitement in your life. Yeah, what was it for you guys, tare because it was your first time swinging.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we had gone to like a local club in Portland and we had been on apps, probably about six months before we met Tayler and Alisha, And for us, it was just I'm quite a bit younger than Sean, so it was just about life experiences and I wanted to experience all of life with him and the place that we had gotten to in our relationship. We had built a lot of trust up and it was fun to talk about other people and flirt with other people, and it's just a unique experience to have those conversations with your partner. And so those kind of conversations quickly turned into exploring apps and going out and meeting new people, and so it was quick where our conversations turned into actions, I suppose. And we didn't meet a whole lot of people before meeting Tyler Alicia, but we had kind of just dipped a toe into the community.
Speaker 2: When you met each other.
Speaker 3: So when your two couples met, was this something that you identified as like particularly special about that connection.
Speaker 4: I don't think it was necessarily like when we met, but it was more we started talking and then five days later we actually met up in Portland at a really cool event that they were holding up there, and the talking leading up to that. It was really interesting because Sean and I are really similar in our personality styles, and Taya and Tyler are really similar their personality styles. So it was kind of weird, just like this guy's like in my head, like I feel like he is me, And there was just a very very different dynamic than what I was used to, and so it was just really intriguing to like want to know more about them.
Speaker 2: So I have never I mean, do we say swung? Yeah, telling me I've never.
Speaker 1: Been to any swinging event, mainly because I can't get a relationship to then go to swing.
Speaker 5: I've got a.
Speaker 1: Relationship now, it's fine, But can you go to a swinger's event and just swing with one person? Or is it always a couple going and meeting another couple? Like, are there these sort of rules at these events?
Speaker 4: No, there's tons of different dynamics and it's really up to every individual couple and what their boundaries are, what their hopes are and desires, And of course, when you go to an event, it's not necessarily guaranteed that you're gonna connect or hook up with anyone, honestly, And Tyler and I when we did it seven years ago, it was for like maybe six months, so I think that our experiences are pretty equal in the amount of time we've actually spent in that community, because then again, seven years later, when we met Shaanaya, they were literally the only people that we talked to and connected with. But yeah, it just depends on your own dynamics and what you're looking for to go to those events. But there's also apps and stuff too, So it's like we didn't go to a swinger's event, we matched with them and decided to go on like a date.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I think there's two things about that. So one, Sehn and I originally were just looking for another female. There's part of like just my sexuality exploring that and exploring that with my partner in like a safe space that was a huge positive for me in this situation. We quickly learned that they're called unicorns for a reason. Single females are not really I mean, they exist obviously, because triads exist, and they are out there, but they are called unicorns for a reason. They're hard to find. So we quickly learned that there are a lot more couples out there that are looking for similar situations, and it's unique in the sense that like there's people who are looking to stay together with all four of them, and there's people who are looking to be in separate rooms and kind of like swap for the night. So there's different dynamics across the board. And the good thing about the community is everybody is really whether it's swinging or polyamory, everybody's really open and communicative and honest and really just honestly. You have to be really straightforward about what you're looking for, so that kind of helps narrow things down.
Speaker 1: So you go to these swingers events and I know you guys said you met on an app, but when you do go to a swingers event, does it turn into a form of sex club? So do you go to the event and there are rooms at the event and you hook up there or is it more of an event that you go to that's a bar or somewhere to just make the meeting and then you guys go away separately and do your thing.
Speaker 5: But it's both. The club that's in Portland, which I think they had previously gone to, it just was owned by somebody else, so they had rolled over and a little bit different of an experience with the same concept where the first floor is like a club, there's dance floor and food and a bar and all that, and then later in the night the upstairs opens and that's where there's closed rooms or open spaces on the third floor, so each floor kind of has a different experience and you can stay on the club level all night long. And honestly, like since we've been together, we've gone just the four of us just for fun, because the atmosphere is a blast. It's lots of open minded people. It's positive just in general, like body positive and sex positive and whatever else. But it's just a really fun atmosphere you can go. I mean the times that Sean and I went when it was just us too, we never even hooked up with anybody else at the club, so it was usually somebody we'd met on an app. But the club in general was just a fun place to for like open minded people to kind of meet up.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you guys went on a date. How did things go from like this first initial date to moving in together?
Speaker 5: So how they went that fast?
Speaker 4: It's yeah, yeah, So we met up in Portland and we had gotten an airbnb so that we could spend the night together. And before we were leaving from that night that we spent together. We were already making plans for the next weekend and tell us my kids were going on camping with the grandparents. So we're like, hey, you know, we can save money if you guys want to come down the Lebanon and see what it's like in our small rural community. And they came down and again before they left, we were making plans again, and so it just kind of progressed in that very natural way of like we realized we weren't really wanting to look for anybody else, Like we deleted our apps and we're just like, we kind of like this that we have going on. And then it was Sean and I that actually kind of developed feelings or admitted our feelings for each other. First I was talking to him, and I think him or I one of us said that, like, I feel like you're my girlfriend or I feel like you're my boyfriend. And I'm like, yeah, I feel like that too. Is that weird? Because none of us knew what polyamory was. We didn't know what a quad was, we didn't know any of these terms, and that was not something that we were looking for. So the more we were kind of catching feelings for each other. Then we started looking into what that meant, and honestly, Tyler and Taya were a little bit more reserved in their feelings or admitting them. So Shawn and I kind of gave them a push and said, I remember talking with Tyler and saying, like, it's okay to like her more than a friend. It's okay that you have feelings for her, like if you love her like. It felt like one of those things where you shouldn't admit that you have those kind of feelings when you're in a monogamous, married relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, I actually think that has a lot to do with how we're being socially conditioned.
Speaker 3: Right, Like absolutely, we're kind of taught that if you fall in love with someone, you're not going to fall in love with someone else.
Speaker 2: But that's not necessarily the case.
Speaker 3: That's kind of just what has been drilled into us because it's kind of norm in society. So at that time that you realized that you had feelings for each other, was there a part of you that struggle with the idea of telling your partner, like, hey, just so you know, like, I do have these feelings of love for someone else, but it doesn't necessarily detract from the love that I have for you, Like, how did you kind of navigate that?
Speaker 4: I think Sean and I kind of talked about talking to Taya and Tyler about that situation and letting them know it's okay, so that they could admit their feelings to each other as well. Yeah, not giving them permission, but having that open conversation that like, this isn't wrong.
Speaker 5: Well, it's very obvious, Like we all were very on board with wanting to spend more and more time together. We were talking twenty four to seven when we weren't together, like Sean and I would drop everything and drive down just to spend a couple hours together in the evening, driving two hours there and then getting up early to drive home because we just wanted to spend all of our free time together. So it's very obvious. So we all had feelings for each other, but Tyler and I were like, no, no, that's not what I now.
Speaker 2: I'm obsessed with you. I talk to you all the time, I want to see you, but nah, it was.
Speaker 5: Very middle school. I even remember Sean being like you like him, you love him.
Speaker 2: And I was like, uh no, I know when I listen to this I guess this is probably a worry that most monogamous couples that do want to try swinging or do you want to try a threesome, this is the worry that they have, what if my partner develops feelings for that person? And I guess for most people, I'm going to say.
Speaker 1: We all know that there's no relationship, right. I mean, that's why we want to speak to you, because we want to really highlight that. But you guys are definitely an anomaly. It's pretty unusual to swing or have a threesome and then all fall in love like that is definitely rare.
Speaker 2: Most couples would be like holy shit.
Speaker 1: But in your relationship it sort of was tenfold because Taya your I think you mentioned before you're bisexual. Alisha, are you or were you only looking more for males to have these.
Speaker 4: Experience with I am straight. There are times that I will interact with the woman and t and I have interacted and stuff in you know, more of an intimate way. But I think women are a beautiful, But I just I don't have that same sexual attraction towards women with.
Speaker 3: The sexual aspect of it, like in your experience, do you think that polyamorous relationships are more about sexual connection, or do you think that they're more about emotional connection.
Speaker 4: It can definitely be both. I mean ours started as a physical attraction and then it developed into the emotional attraction. But I don't think it needs to be one way or the other.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's a bit of a misconception that a lot of people have about polyamorous relationship.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely absolutely. I think people assume that we were unhappy in our marriage. They assume that our spouse is weren't enough for us. There's all kinds of things. There's assume more sexual deviance and when really our relationship has no more to do with sex than a monogamous relationship does. Truly like it has nothing more other than we sleep with a different person every other night. But I think that polyamory in general is primarily about emotional connection, whereas swinging is more physical. I think that polyamory is it means quite literally many loves, So there's going to be a romantic side of things. But every relationship is and dynamic is so different. You could have a friends with benefits and it's a friend type of love. It could be a non romantic type of love and still be sexual, if that makes sense. So there's a lot of like kind of relationship anarchy in polyamory where they just don't follow the normal relationship escalator, and so you can see all kinds of dynamics that focus on all kinds of different things.
Speaker 3: When things got a little bit more serious between you guys, did you kind of openly tell the people in your life that that's where things were headed? Did you keep it a bit of a secret for a while, And I guess, like, how did they respond to that information?
Speaker 4: We definitely kept it quiet for quite a while. And there's so many rules and stuff that we thought we had in place when we first started back into that sort of lifestyle, and one of them was that, you know, these people are never going to meet our kids. And within a few weeks they were telling us how excited they were to meet our kids, and so that didn't take very long for us to introduce them to the kids. And then once we realized that this wasn't just a temporary hookup type of thing and that we were actually wanted to be in a relationship, and I was calling Seawn my boyfriend, Tay and Tyler had admitted their feelings. We kind of got to the point where we needed to start telling people. Sean had mentioned, you know, the idea of moving in together, since we did live two hours apart, and that was around four or five months into the relationship, and Tyler and I were looking to purchase another house and we decided maybe we should look for one that's going to be big enough for all of us, so the idea of us all living together, we had to tell people. It took me a long time to put myself out there, just because I really worry about what other people think of me and the acceptance and judgment and stuff, and just being a very public facing job that I'm in, Like, are people not going to want to work with me because of my lifestyle because it looks so different. And we definitely got some mixed reactions from family and friends, a lot of people that just didn't get it at all, a lot of people that were concerned about our children and wanting to make sure that they were treated right and not that they were neglected or anything like that. But they're just like, well, if you're bringing new people into your life, you better make sure that they're kind to the kids and the kids are treated right, and we're not going to bring people into our life that we don't think to treat our kids well. Well.
Speaker 1: It's also in a way, it's no different to a couple that have kids that break up and they start dating different partners. You're still bring someone else into that child's life.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah. And for the people who were supportive of us, there was still a concern overall of like, we don't want anyone getting hurt. I know that that was the same thing with my family, like, yeah, this is great, I'm glad you're happy, but I'm scared for you because it's different and we've never seen it before and we don't really get it, you know. So I think that overall, like even the support the people who supported us before they had really seen it in action, they were worried.
Speaker 3: I think naturally as humans like we can be adverse to change, like we can. It can make us feel anxious, it can make us feel uncomfortable if we're in any situation that is a bit new to us. How did your kids respond to all of you moving in together, Like, did they adapt well to that?
Speaker 4: They did? They had gotten used to Shantaea being around quite a bit, and so when we talked about moving into this new house, we asked them, like, what do you guys think about Shawna Ta moving into And they're like, yeah, that's awesome, that sounds great. Like they just had gotten used to Shantea being a part of our life, and so to them there was not even a question about it. There's like, okay, cool more people.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing with kids too, there's such a level of innocence that they say, this is how it is, like mom and mom and dad and dad, and we all love each other and this is what my family is.
Speaker 2: Like there is our judgment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they were honestly just young enough I think, in my opinion to really start talking about relationship dynamics anyways, and what's out there. You know, you can be monogamous, you can be polyamorous, and some people love one person and some people love multiple people, and some people don't choose to be in romantic relationships at all. So the timing of being able to kind of like I live our truth along with having those conversations was I think it was a good time to be able to start those conversations with them, and like I remember the first time we did something as like a family and going out to the zoo together, and it just was really easy. And that's kind of how it always was in the beginning with all of us. It's the other people that made it difficult, right, Like, there are definitely speed bumps that we had to work through in our relationship, but it's definitely a society that tends to make these things difficult.
Speaker 1: Did the kids understand when you all moved in together? Did they understand and did you explain that you were moving eat together as a family or did they just think like mom and Dad's friends a movie?
Speaker 2: Nane, What was the sort of explanation then?
Speaker 4: I actually, like, for the longest time, didn't want to give Sean a kiss or like hold his hand or anything in front of the kids. It's like, oh, what are they going to think? And it really surprised me that they were just totally okay with whatever was happening and the like, they didn't really have much of a reaction. And it was actually after we were all living together, Sean had said to me, He's like, they know that you're my girlfriend, they know I'm your boyfriend. I'm like, do they And so I asked our oldest and I said, who is Sean to me? And he just turned around. He's like, Oh, that's your boyfriend, like he knew it. So I don't know if they quite got that when we moved in together, but we never really sat them down to have that conversation in the terms of like actual titles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think we anticipated co parenting at the level that we are at now. Like obviously we anticipated being active participants in their lives and being parental figures, but I don't think we anticipated being as blended as we are now where we Like, we didn't initially play on having more kids together. We didn't plan, so these things we kind of work through as time went on, and the kids were just very adaptable in every situation that we've kind of come across, and there's just been a lot of love and fluidity throughout it.
Speaker 3: You know, it's so interesting to me what you say about kids being adaptable. I've got a friend who grew up with two moms and we're nearly thirty, so it wasn't as common back then to have two moms, and a lot of people as we've gotten older have asked him, like, were you bullied for it were you picked on? And he pretty often says like I was never bullied by kids, because like kids are like sponges, they just take on any information that you give them. You know, he would just be like I've got two moms and they go okay, like you know, that's cool, Like do you want to come and play on the playground. He would kind of say that it was more when kids got to the age that they would start taking on the opinions of their more conservative or potentially judgmental parents. That's when he experienced a little bit more judgment Has that been the case you, Has it been the people that you know a bit more of like society that maybe don't know you as well, that have experienced it, or have the kids experienced a form of bullying because of this?
Speaker 4: The kids have never said anything about any of their friends or peer groups bullying them, or honestly saying anything about our relationship. I love the story that involves Taya's cousin that we were at a birthday party for their grandpa and our daughter was explaining to her that She's like, yeah, I have two moms and two dads, and it's just was just a normal conversation for her, and there.
Speaker 5: Was this she was like, oh okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And then they went and played the game together, like Who's who.
Speaker 5: Her father has not been a supporter of ours, So for us, it was like kind of validating to see her. They're close in age, and it was kind of validating to see our daughter go up to her and say, oh, yeah, I've got two moms and two dads and she was like, oh cool. Couldn't have cared less, you know, moved right on past it.
Speaker 4: I have heard her explain more to adult than it is to other kids that she has, Like she'll refer to Toy as her stepmom sometimes, and she'll refer to Sean as a stepdad, just because that's an easier term for people to understand. And the fact that our seven year old has to put it in those terms for the adults to understand what this relationship is really speaks volumes.
Speaker 1: And so you just said that your family member that wasn't a supporter of you, you know, the daughter was in that story. Who are the people in your family that you may have lost or had a bit of a conflict with over this situation.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, speaking of the other kids. We've had quite a few people in the beginning, a lot of their friends especially like what am I supposed to tell my kids? Like how am I supposed to explain this to them? And that's something that we actively speak a lot on our social media now because it's like the education about being able to speak about relationship dynamics and not sexualize them is so important because because there are so many different dynamics. There are people who have divorced parents or people whose parents are remarried and they do have two moms and two dads, they just don't live in the same household. And so the fact that that and in those dynamics where those people are co parenting together is praised, and ours is you know, said to be disgusting or confusing or whatever it may be. It's a hard pill to swallow. I guess sometimes it doesn't quite make sense to me. But I have a couple of uncles who just honestly, they haven't really given there was no conversation, there was no opportunity to kind of meet my partners. And see, I think that that's the problem when people aren't willing to give it a chance and kind of see what we're about, or even learn and educate themselves on what it is or what it could be. And the ignorance really kind of is what leads their decision making.
Speaker 2: In terms of finances, we get a lot of questions from people that write in and say, how do you share finances in a relationship?
Speaker 1: You know, do we pay fifty to fifty? Do we put x amount into a joint account? Do we keep our own account separate? Who pays for what they earn more than me?
Speaker 2: Am?
Speaker 1: I supposed to meet them halfway? All these sorts of questions, But you guys have got that double How do you manage your finances in a relationship with four of you that I'm making an assumption all four of you own different salaries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's something that we actually struggled with for quite a while, and it was just in January of this year that we decided to all combine our finances and kind of come together. And it kind of stemmed from the idea that Taya's a stay at home mom. She doesn't have any income unless she, you know, makes extra on Instagram or TikTok or something, and like that's not fair to her that she can't save for something because she doesn't have that stream of income. So it made sense financially for all of us just to combine our funds and have conversations over what our household needs and if there's any big purchases, make sure that we're all on the same page about it. But then also, like, okay, what makes sense. After all said and done, all of our bills are paid, all of our fund stuff is paid, we should to like have a little bit of money that we can all decide to do what we want to on our own. And whether that be saving or doing something special for yourself, or going out and buying.
Speaker 2: Something and going to a spa or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. So it's like when all the needs are covered and then we each have like our own little allowance that we can choose to do what we want with that. You want to get an extra snack, you want to go get your Starbucks coffee or something, then that comes out of your allowance versus out of our joint account. And there's no secret to this is the way that you should do it or could do it. It's just something that we are trying and has worked for us so far.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been a new endeavor for us, like she said, but allowing us all to have the same amount. It was working through like, Okay, obviously some of us make more than others, and how do we navigate like not pulling rank or I make this much choice, she'd be able to spend this much more so the allowances, having even allowances across the board. We all get so much money a month just kind of levels the playing field for us. And then we talk about big purchases as a group.
Speaker 3: I love that growing up for me in my situation, my dad was, you know, the dad that went.
Speaker 2: Off to work. Mom looked after the kids, Mom did all of the mental load of our schedules. She always knew where dad was, you know, when he was traveling for work, et cetera. How does it work with you guys? Do you have like a home manager?
Speaker 3: Like does that fall naturally in someone's camp where one person knows what everyone's work schedules are when you need to get groceries, those kinds of things.
Speaker 2: How does it work for you guys?
Speaker 4: Well, Sean and I are more of the planners. It depends on the thing when it comes to the mental load, like I had already had, Dylan and Rena coming into this relationship, so I kind of met that traditional mom role of the mental load of scheduling the doctor's appointments and this and that, and getting to share some of that with Taya has been awesome. But we have a shared calendar and so like if you have something that's coming up, she's making her baby appointments and stuff, and she you know, looks in the calendar and make sure like, Okay, nobody else has something else going on this time, I'm going to schedule it for this and then we all get a notification when it comes up. We have our shared grocery lists on there. Taya and Tyler like to go grocery shopping, so they're the ones that go and do that on Sundays. Like it has taken a long time, but we definitely have somewhat of a system now. But I definitely have a lot of schedule living rent free in my head about who is where and when and what needs to get done, and I make my lists.
Speaker 5: And then Sean has started We all have like a line on the calendar in the kitchen now and he fills out the calendar for the week of where everybody is at and the appointments and then the dinners because we make a menu for the week, and then we always grocery shop on Sundays, you know, as long as everything kind of goes to plan and we've gotten there. But the shared calendar is a lifesaver. I always say that I've never not parented with four people. I've never parented outside of this dynamic, and it's still hard. So I mean, if that explains it at all, like parenting gets hard.
Speaker 4: But you're starting to see a lot more people that even in non romantic relationships of just like moms, single moms that are living together and raising their kids together, or two sets of friends that are married, you know, just like our dynamic, but they don't have that other relationship in there that are all living together. One make your help hold more affordable, and two now you have each other there to help support kids.
Speaker 1: Let's get into the juicy goodness. Let's get into the logistics of this situation.
Speaker 2: You've moved in together, you're two couples together. Who's sleeping with you? What rooms are we in? How do we decide the rules and swapping? And you know who gets what and when?
Speaker 5: That has changed over time, much like a lot of our relationship and a lot of our boundaries and things like that, and Likelysha said, we didn't know what polyamory was before and being able to identify it and then do research and kind of validate that was huge. I mean, even now we learn every day right how to kind of function in this relationship because there's no roadmap for it. So originally we would spend two nights with our married spouses and then one with our other partner and kind of rotate that way. Well, I was working nights at the time when we first started this rotation and it was really hard. I specifically wasn't seeing Tyler very much at all, and just because of the way our knights fell, and we just weren't getting enough time together. So we switched to every other night and we've just been doing that since. And since then we've moved towards a lot more non hierarchical relationship. We've worked through even down to sharing finances and splitting even time together and not to be equal, right, but to just set ourselves up for the ability to spend time together as much as we can. Like we switch spots on the couch every night, depending on whose night it is. We sit by that person. We switch seats in the car depending on whose night It is, just so that we have opportunities to sit next to that person and hold their hand if we so choose. For us, it just kind of is mostly happens naturally. Sometimes I PLoP down on the wrong spot and it's not a big deal. You know, It's not She's not like, get out of my spot.
Speaker 2: It's Friday night, get out of my spot.
Speaker 5: You're in the But it's not something that's like a hard rule where it's like, hey, you know, and it's like there's any hard feelings about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I used to be the tan. I would switch rooms, but once the babies started coming, just didn't make sense. And so the guys, Yeah, the guys switch rooms instead. But Tyler and I keep our stuff together in one room, and Taya and Sean keep their stuff together in one room, and then they just take their pillows and toothbrushes or whatever they need for that night. And then essentially it's once you leave that bedroom in the morning, it's your day with the opposite person. But it's not like I can't go and kiss Tyler even though it's my day with Sean. Like those are not rules in our household. It just happens to be. Like the only rule would be what happens in the bedroom.
Speaker 5: When it comes to like even flirting or hugging or kissing like that stuff, or even like cuddling on the couch, it's any of that stuff is free for all. If there's no boundaries about that doesn't matter whose night it is, especially if your partner is home, like say Sean and Leisha are home and she needs some physical emotional support and it's not her night with him, there's no there's no boundary that says you can't go give him a hug and cry on his shoulder. But when it comes to our different needs physically, we keep things strict to whoever is night it is. If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Is it really quite free flowing in terms of being affectionate and open in front of each other, or have things like let's not I don't want to say, rubbing each other's face, but like, let's not overly be affectionate in front of the other couple, or you just like free for all, it doesn't matter. We're so loving with each other that it doesn't bother us.
Speaker 4: It's pretty much free for all, there might have been some feelings at the very beginning, and I think that part of it has to do with the fact of, you know, love languages and physical touched Both Taya and Tyler are very much physical touch oriented, Sean and I not so much. So they might be more touchy feely and cuddly and kissing more so than me or Tyler or Me and Sean. And at the beginning, I'm just like, oh, shoot, like are they not getting what they need from me? So they're getting it from Taya instead. And then I'm just like really realizing them, like I'm good. I don't need to have that much physical to you.
Speaker 2: Like, just buy me the presence I am. Gibbs.
Speaker 5: That's the beauty of this relationship though, And I think it's something that, especially and as jealousy comes up, that you have to let go of. Is like being okay with your partner getting something that like if I'm not so good at giving them something, and Alicia is being okay with her playing to her strengths and kind of picking up for my weaknesses and giving that to them and being happy about it, you know, and not being like, oh, I need to step my game up. Here. I mean that's not to say that we're not always striving for growth and to be what they need, but ultimately, if they can get it somewhere else too, then why would we want to take that away from them.
Speaker 2: I'm very curious about how you navigate conflict.
Speaker 3: I mean, in any relationship I've ever been in, if I've had a big blow up with, you know, my boyfriend, We'll have this big argument and I'll go and I'll talk to brit about it, and I'll say, this is what happened, blah blahlah, and.
Speaker 2: We'll hash it out and we'll talk it all through.
Speaker 3: How do you navigate conflict in your situation? Because I guess if you were to go and talk to another person in the quad, it could be a bit of a gang up situation, Like, how do you navigate that?
Speaker 5: We learned the hardware.
Speaker 2: We ended up having a mud wrestling five.
Speaker 5: We had all out rolls and ended up taking sides and putting ourselves in the situations that weren't our fights.
Speaker 4: So nothing to you at all.
Speaker 5: And yeah, so we learn the hard way, and that's exhausting and it doesn't do anybody any good. And that's not to say that we don't vent to each other. We absolutely do. Think in the beginning, it made things kind of difficult because when I'm not spending as much time just in general with Alicia because our schedules just aren't set up that way, and you know, being a safe space for my partners where they're having a hard time and that's all I'm hearing of her. That really challenged our relationship early in the beginning. So that's something we had to work through. But also like, if you're not in a place where you can listen to your partner and not react and not interject yourself in the situation, then you've got to speak up or ask permission beforehand, like, hey, are you in a place where I can vent and you can just listen rather than react, because it saves a lot of grief in the long run.
Speaker 1: And does the conflict come between all of you in terms of your husbands that you came into the relationship with, then your boyfriends and then you too as well friends and co parents, the conflicts between everyone, It.
Speaker 4: Just depends on the conflict. There have been conflicts in between all of us. There are conflicts, And like Taya was saying, like if Sean and I are in conflict. At the beginning, him and I could be having a problem and her and Tyler would be fine. But then Tyler only hears what I have to say about it, and he says something to Taya about like why Sean doing that, And Taya is only hearing Sean's side of it, and so then she's like, well, Alicia's doing this. Now they ended up.
Speaker 5: To follow the Seriously, Yeah, we end up taking sides with whoever the story we're hearing, and it just is wildly it gets out of control.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there are times that, like you know, all four of us genuinely are in a conflict, and there are some sides that get taken or one person and there's three people that are on the opposite side of it, and you know, we have to have a conversation. And at times we have done kind of a majority rules type of thing, but it's that person who is in the minority. Their point is not invalidated, their point is not dismissed. They still need to be heard in a conversation needs to be had about it. But ultimately there has to be some sort of compromise, and that's what we really try and get to well.
Speaker 2: I mean it's the age I'd saying, right, there's three sides to a story, but in your case, there's full science full Yeah.
Speaker 1: Are there at times that or would you ever have threesomes with Tilett Sean and one of you and not the other? Or do you have any no go you know these are my boundaries or is it still like, hey, I want to go and you know, be with both men tonight. Are there those kind of options in the relationship.
Speaker 5: It's been a while, but it has happened, and it's been highly talked about and planned, so it's not something that just happens off the cut.
Speaker 4: Yeah. What we say is everything is a conversation. So if you have a need, if you have a desire or anything like that, let's have a conversation about it and so that we can all be on the same page and talk openly about it and establish boundaries if there needs to be, or plan our schedules because there's four of us and we have four kids, so there has to be some prior planning involved too.
Speaker 5: Don't get me wrong. Polyamory in general is a I mean, one relationship is hard, right, and we have multiple not just the two romantic relationships, but relationships between her and I and relationships between the guys, and so it's been a lot of trial and error, a lot of conversations. I mean, we were just joking the other night that us sitting down and talking about our schedule even for the next day, Like we have to make a whole list of things we need to talk about that have come up throughout the day, And we could end up sitting there and talking for an hour and a half just trying to situate the rest of our week and our schedule and things that we need to talk about with the kids and things that have come up over the you know. And so take your normal relationship conversations and check ins and multiply it by four. I mean, it's constant, and it can be exhausting, for sure.
Speaker 1: I'm exhausted trying to manage just mine and my dog's relationship along the four of you guys, be full key talking about communication. I know other relationships that might be open. Everyone has different rules with Okay, yes you can go and be with other people. I don't want to know about it. Yes you can go and be with other people. I need to know every single thing that happened in your relationship with the four of you. Do you openly talk to each other's partners about what you did with the other partner or is it a rule of Like, obviously you guys are open in terms of talking with each other about general life and swapping and how it's going to work, But are you allowed to share the intimate details with each partner?
Speaker 5: I think that depends who you're talking to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if that person wants to know. I'm one of those people that at the beginning I would ask Tyler a lot of questions because I thought I wanted to know, And then over time I realized that it was not healthy for me, and I was experiencing a lot of jealousy and comparing myself.
Speaker 2: You're like, what she does reverse cowgirl. I can't do reverse cowgal. I don't want to know that.
Speaker 5: You have a tendency to compare or if it gives you negative feelings, why do it? Especially when way of established trusts and things like that.
Speaker 4: And I'm a little bit more closed when it comes to those types of conversations, and Taya's a lot more open, and I know that if I asked her, she would be more than willing to share those details and same with Tyler with me, but I've just for my own mental health. I'm just like you know what, I'm good. That doesn't affect my relationship with Tyler. It doesn't affect my relationship with Sean. So why am I putting myself through that?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Can we talk about the kids?
Speaker 3: So did you actively make the decision together we think would like to add to our family or was it something that you just got pregnant and because both of you got pregnant quite close together, is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah, both of the guys had had the secondmies previously and both of them had reversals, so it was a big decision. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Sean had had his reversal before Tyler and I met them, and it was actually Teya took Sean to get his reversal and they met us. We talked about having more case the country. Yeah, over in Oklahoma because it was way cheaper to travel and go to this clinic in Oklahoma. So when we had made the decision and we talked about it more because I had always wanted a third kid, but Tyler and I were just so exhausted our first who are only seventeen months apart, and it was just so much work, and we're like, you know what, it's fine, We're just going to have two. And then we're like, well, I've always wanted to have a third, and we have partners now that are going to be here and support us in this endeavor, so why not you.
Speaker 2: Have additional support now? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Tyler and Taya actually went to the same clinic.
Speaker 2: Back to Oklahoma frequent flyer. I needed two for one deal, but I ended.
Speaker 4: Up getting pregnant first, very fertile, so it happened with real dark quick for me.
Speaker 2: They just look at you and you're like, damn it. Yeah again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I'm like, I am on birth control until you.
Speaker 5: Guys are fast. Well, now they both have a second new schedule next month, so we're done.
Speaker 1: Don then yeah, so you do get that fourth step within a week.
Speaker 5: Of each other.
Speaker 4: Part they're going to get there.
Speaker 1: So at least you got pregnant first, and then what was the time difference? And too, you got pregnant Tya.
Speaker 4: The boys are seven months apart, so it was like six weeks before I had Barrett that you are pregnant pretty close to the end. We weren't pregnant at the same time for.
Speaker 2: Very long, and you're pregnant again, I am, I am not? Yes, okay, and so how far a long are you now?
Speaker 5: I'll be twenty one weeks on Tuesday?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well congrats, So that's number fine? Is that right?
Speaker 1: You had two together and then this is a fit okay? And the interesting part I guess about this. Maybe people don't know this yet, we haven't established it yet, but you as a quad have decided not to find out who the fathers are of the children that you've already had and this one that you're currently pregnant with.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Right? We chose not to find out the biology between the two guys, or we didn't regulate biology, I should.
Speaker 3: Say, is that because you think that it could affect the paternal relationship between the dads and the boy, sorry, the dads and the kids.
Speaker 5: I don't think that that choice was made out of fear. I think that that choice was made out of just genuine like showing how much it didn't matter to us, Like not that we had something to prove, but it just didn't feel necessary for us. And although it may feel necessary to the boys, someday, and if it does, then we'll take that journey together. But us as their parents, you know, having especially parenting Dylan and Rena like and not being their biological parent, it just didn't matter to us.
Speaker 4: Both the guys are fantastic dads to the kids, and I don't think that finding out biology would change that. I honestly don't think that was part of the decision at all. It was just kind of one of those things where we didn't regulate and whatever happened happened because we knew we wanted to have more kids. Yeah, and it's exactly that if they ever want to find out, we will absolutely take that journey with them. But so many people are so concerned about, like what about health histories. We're like, well, it's one of two options. Yeah, they both live here.
Speaker 2: And we know their health history.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so yeah, we have as they talked to the counselors, they're okay, their doctors are okay. Like people get really concerned about that. But ultimately, yeah, we went through every scenario and said, like, how would I feel if Alicia ultimately got pregnant and Sean was the biological father or vice versa, and we all were just like, I just don't care, like that'd be kind of cool. You know. It's like for us, it just didn't matter, and so ultimately we just didn't regulate that at all.
Speaker 2: We all know that a family doesn't need to be blood.
Speaker 1: A parent, a sister, a brother, whoever it is, doesn't have to be blood related. There are far more people that have been brought up by people that are not related to them that are related anyway. So I one hundred percent agree, And I understand why you're saying it doesn't matter, because it genuinely doesn't this for of you that love them. So when the time comes that one of them, do you think that they're going to want to find out? Do you do you guys talk about that. Do you say, hey, I'm sure that when they hit ten, twelve, fifteen, they're going to want to know.
Speaker 5: I don't have any fears about that, about it changing a thing, you know, for our kids maybe, But ultimately, I think with how we've raised them, and because they have brothers and sisters of different biologies, are ready Because you know, Dylan and Reina are biologically Tyler and Alisha's and we know this, I don't see it mattering to them either. I think, you know, say they get to high school and end up talking about biology, and maybe they want to know because they want to be able to participate in their family lineage and whatever that looks like. I mean, I see that maybe as an intrigue, but I don't see it changing our family dynamic at all.
Speaker 1: We've spoken a lot about all the positives in a polyamorous relationship. What do you think some of the hurdles have been all the hardest parts have been about navigating a polyamorous relationship.
Speaker 4: I think when it comes to kids, there's a lot of hurdles about being able to be recognized as having four parents, Like having to fill out a form so that Taya or Sean can take one of my biological children to the doctor if something were to happen to one of our sets of couples. Legally, the state doesn't see the other kids as belonging to them, and so like making sure that you have a will in place or some sort of advance directive, because there's not any sort of legal way to show that you are four parents that are of equal rights for them still being married to your.
Speaker 5: Original there's nothing that protects us legally.
Speaker 1: Now that's actually something I didn't think of, A really good question. Who do you put down on the birth certificate as the father?
Speaker 5: So for our state, we were told originally for the two boys that we have had together, that it should be the legal spouse that goes down. If you're legally married, then the legal spouse automatically goes down as the father. I have since been told that there is an option to put a second father down. I have started to look into that, but ultimately I need to start getting on the phone and get some because online it's like there's so much information that isn't relevant to this, like very specific question that I have. But ultimately that's something i'd love to get to the bottom of before we have this baby. I asked Tyler actually a couple of days ago, like, is this something I should be looking into? Do you want to be listed if that's a possibility, And he said absolutely. But we've also talked about third party adoption, which also is legal in our state, which we've talked about both of us adopting our non biological children so that they would have a legal third parent in each couple. If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Could you just put the the couple down as like guardians or the godparents or yeah, like you said, just make sure that in a will.
Speaker 3: In a will, Yeah, yeah, it's a lot of boops to jump through, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It just it seems like a lot of admin But it's the.
Speaker 4: Same sort of thing about like health insurance and things like that. You can't list another partner on any sort of health insurance or finances and stuff. So we just kind of have to try and work around what the system is. Because the system is built for monogamy, for not monogamy, but like a two person What.
Speaker 1: About when you give the children last names? Is it hyphen for both of you or do you pick the partnership that had the child, Because I assume you want to all feel like one family and you want all the kids to feel like they're immunity, and you know.
Speaker 2: All have the same last names, so you get a new one.
Speaker 5: We're talking about it making up a new last name today. The two boys that we've had together have hyphenated last names. At the time. We have talked about hyphenating all of our last names, but we've talked about doing it after we've had a commitment ceremony, it is fun for us to fill in the gaps of a traditional relationship escalator, if that makes sense. It's fun to talk about having a big party and celebrating. You know, we can't be legally married, but it's fun to talk about doing a commitment ceremony and celebrating each other and then looking into third party adoption and ultimately all hyphenating our last names so that we would all have I mean obviously and want our siblings to all have similar last names. That would be ideal, But we were talking today and throwing around. Unfortunately, our last name combinations are not great so far.
Speaker 3: Something that happens in our Facebook group. So there's seventy one thousand people in our Facebook group now, and I really common thing. People will ask for wedding hashtags, which basically amalgamates the last names into something funny. So maybe we can put a thread in there and see what we can come up with.
Speaker 2: You guys, maybe how group can come up that would be such an honus.
Speaker 5: Yes, because Haddres or rod Liss is just not it.
Speaker 2: If we could come up with something cool, Yeah, it can't be rodless.
Speaker 4: Rock.
Speaker 5: You have too many boys for that.
Speaker 2: Not too much you can do that. You cannot. You cannot do that. You cannot put your kid into run lesson.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: For a couple or an individual that was wants to, you.
Speaker 1: Know, go and have a little adventure, they want to dip their toes into polyamory, what would be your suggestions for them?
Speaker 2: What are some tips? Where do they start? What would you want them to know?
Speaker 5: For me, it's just immerse yourself in the community, because there is so much to learn, and there are so many feelings that come up, and being able to know like that those feelings are valid and the best ways to approach them, and the best ways to communicate your partner and things like that. Like just educate yourself, even if it's online, even if you don't have a community in your area, just joining as many groups and things as you can, you know, even if it's Instagram, videos or TikTok or whatever it may be, podcasts or books. Educate yourself as much as possible, because a lot of feelings come up, a lot of hard feelings come up, and the more that you can educate yourself and be able to validate those feelings, the easier they are to work through.
Speaker 2: Can I ask a step back from that. Did you have a bit of a curiosity. Was that the thing that you were like, well, maybe.
Speaker 3: I am actually considering something else, and then you had a conversation with your partner at the time.
Speaker 2: Was it just a curiosity about other people? Was there something a little bit more distinct.
Speaker 3: I guess that someone may recognize in themselves listening to this and go, oh, maybe that's what that is.
Speaker 5: I think that it's different for everybody. I remember telling Sean early on that when we were talking about swinging, because the whole idea of swinging came up watching a TV show that had a tryad in it. So it was a polyamorous relationship, but it didn't teach us much, right. But I remember saying, I see how people could do that, but I don't think that that's for me, right, Like, so at the time it was like, Okay, I can see how that would work. I just can't see myself in that situation. I didn't know that I was capable of that until I fell in love with somebody else. But I know for some people they find polyamory and they're like, holy crap, so many things make sense, right, Like that explains why I haven't been in a committed relationship long term because I get bored or my needs aren't met or whatever it may be. I can't settle on one person, And it can really make a lot of things make sense where they might have just thought I just can't find my person or I haven't found my person to maybe I want multiple people.
Speaker 4: And there is like a big community out there, and you know, there's Facebook groups. You can go on there and request to join and just read through people's stories and then when you feel comfortable enough being able to go and ask your own questions, because there's nothing better than asking somebody who's experienced that what their take is, and like, exactly what you're doing is asking, like what things should you talk about? Like how do you even start that conversation?
Speaker 5: I always tell people to, like, if you're interested in it and your partner is hesitant or they don't understand, or they have questions, find somebody who shares their life online, who it looks like kind of what you imagine, right, Like, if you're interested in a quad and dating another couple, share our videos with them, you know, share some real life stories with them so they can see how it works. Because if you're just talking about it, and it's so different. You've never seen it before. It can be really hard to imagine, but if you see people living it, it can be a lot easier to wrap your head around.
Speaker 1: We just want to say a huge thank you for coming and so openly sharing your story today. For anyone that does want to go and check you guys out, maybe learn some more about the dynamics, how it works. Where can people find you guys?
Speaker 5: Sure, we're on TikTok and Instagram. We do have a YouTube, but man I slack on posting there.
Speaker 2: That's because you have five kids.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 5: The goal is to get better at it, but all under the same user name Polyfamory.
Speaker 3: We'll put links for all of that in our show notes as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's p l l y FA m O r Y, which is the combination of polyamory and family that Tyler created.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we might have to try and help you come out with your last name. Anyway, we'll put it. We'll put it in our Facebook group. We'll see if the lifeers can come up with a new Last.
Speaker 5: Night, You're welcome. Thank you for having us.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we never finished an episode without our sucking our suite, the highlight and the lo light of the Weekkisha, do you want to kick it off?
Speaker 2: Do I keep it off with my sweet or my suck? You are as bad as Laura. I know.
Speaker 1: We have done four hundred episodes over four years, and every week Laura gets it wrong.
Speaker 2: The suck goes first because we like to finish on the hut. Okay, suck the glued to this podcast.
Speaker 3: My suck for the week is that I am so newly invested in the vander Pump Rules scandal you.
Speaker 2: Are previous to last Thursday.
Speaker 3: I had never watched an episode of the show in my whole life. I recognize Lisa vander Pump because she's an og Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, and I know that she owns all the restaurants, and I understood the premise of the show. Had not watched one minute of it. Obviously, this scandal. If you haven't heard about the scandal, it's like it's gonna be the scandal of our generation.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is like.
Speaker 1: Hot Sweet recapped ten seasons of vand Pump Rules right now for your suck.
Speaker 3: I won't, but I'll give a really quick recap. There were a couple, they were life partners. They were together for nine years. Turns out he has been having an affair seven months with the best friend. Okay, they did a reunion, Yes there is. It's a three part reunion special and they're airing it once per week on Binge.
Speaker 2: Now, previous to this, I was like whatever, I've.
Speaker 3: Read all the articles and I listened to it on podcasts and blah blah blah, and I was relatively invested that. I was like, Wow, that's that's pretty heavy.
Speaker 2: That's a cheating scandal.
Speaker 3: Now I have watched the first episode and I have never craved the new episode of something more in my whole entire life.
Speaker 2: That's your suck.
Speaker 3: I've got to wait another six days and then I have to wait another week for the third episode.
Speaker 1: Wait, you only watch the first of the reunion, not the first of the season.
Speaker 3: So I watched the reunion episode, and then I went back and.
Speaker 1: Watched the previous episodes because I also Kisha and I stumbled across this together well with some other friends that were talking about band pont Raw scandal, so we were like, we feel out the loop. Yes, I also went to try and watch it, and I went from the first episode of the last season because I was like, I need some background and I'm not watching ten seasons. So I went to season ten, episode one, and I was gonna watch the whole season to really get a vibe for the Scandal, and then watch the Scandal series.
Speaker 2: I can't get into it. We'll just skip ahead because it so spicy, Like it's so unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I'm watching this shit and I'm like, maybe I needed to watch the ten seasons before, but I'm like, it's.
Speaker 2: Just not hitting home for me. And I know that's controversial because I know it's a huge show. It's huge. It's probably the most streamed thing this week.
Speaker 3: I reckon, Oh absolutely, but it may suck because now I'm so deeply invested and I have to wait.
Speaker 2: So long in betweens.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, what's your sweet My sweep for the week is that this year I am turning thirty. Our birthdays in August Britain, I have the same birthday for anyone playing at home.
Speaker 2: Twenty first of August birthday.
Speaker 3: I said that I wanted to go to Italy for my birthday. It's my favorite country to holiday in. And you know, I've said this before, but like, my life doesn't look like what I thought it would look like at thirty, and in most ways it's so much better than I ever could have imagined. But I was like, cool, all right, what's something that I really want to do to like kind of celebrate that.
Speaker 2: And I've said that I've wanted.
Speaker 3: To be in Italy for my thirtieth birthday, and so I finally booked flights to go, And turns out traveling to Europe at the moment is a lot more expensive than what it used to be all summer day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, summer in Europe now post pandemic crazy, it's very expensive. Actually, check out a small loan. It's kidney like that. She's for the flight people. Actually they need to do that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so I booked the flights and I was kind of like, look the price of this.
Speaker 2: It is a big.
Speaker 3: Present to myself because your thirtyth is supposed to be a big celebration.
Speaker 2: And I love it. Yes, Italy is an incredible country. I'm very very jealous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: So many aparol spreits are so much lemon trello. Yeah, I'm so excited. What is your suck for the week? My suck would be.
Speaker 1: This actually just happened this morning. I took to for our very standard morning walk. She did a really big ship.
Speaker 2: Sounds like I always picked my poos up like always. Anyway, I put my hand in the bag, pick it up. There was a huge hole in the bag.
Speaker 1: My hand went, my hand went straight in through it to the poop, straight into.
Speaker 2: It was like a warm, whippy ice cream. Yeah, so that was my that was my sock. That's nice, it's nice. Rank It was so I saw that, Oh my god, and I so I had to scrape around it with a hole in the bag. It was not a moment.
Speaker 3: It was not a moment which did you like wipe your hand on the.
Speaker 2: LICTI c no, I went to the bathroom and washed them. Lucky there was a public toilet.
Speaker 1: So my sweet this week, I guess I have to say it was winning the award.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: I should come up with something different, and I tried to, but that was definitely a highlight for me.
Speaker 2: It's not a week highlight. It's like a year highlight.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was actually so so stoked and so proud of you because I saw you, like in the lead up to it, and I was like, do you reckon?
Speaker 2: You're going to do a right, like, do you reckon? You could maybe go trophy and you were like no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, Like you're kind of like no, no, I'm just kind of going along because I think it'll be a good like networking experience and it'd be cool to see it.
Speaker 2: And which was hosted totally support a friend or did we know our girls coming home with the gold? Yeah? So that was one hundred percent my sweet. That is it from us, guys. Please keep your accidental.
Speaker 1: Unfilters coming in confessionals, any funny stories. The call out this week for if you've stitched your friend up well and good, we want to hear about it right into Instagram Life Uncut podcast, Just slide to the DMS and just put a heading out the top. Also ask Uncut aftermaths.
Speaker 2: If we've ever answered your ask Guncut, send a little summarine of what the question was and then the outcome. So we want to hear everything Life on Cut podcast on Instagram and don't forget So you Mum, tell you, Dad, tell you dot, tell your friends, and share the love because we love love. Karabaoa