Speaker 1: Hi everyone, and welcome to another episode of the sit Down. I'm Mattroloca, writer for oz open dot com and I'm.
Speaker 2: Viv Christie, Managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine. And Matt, why do we sit down this week with Simon Ray?
Speaker 1: Well, we've always wanted to sit down with Simon Ray. I think he's a long term colleague of ours who's arrived in Australia via New Zealand, and so we had a really wide ranging chat about how he discovered the game in New Zealand, the kinds of players he went on to work with, including Nick Kirios and Sam Stoza, and now that he's moved into the data analysis space. So it was Yeah, it was fascinating to pick his brain on all of these things.
Speaker 2: This is actually one of my favorite interviews that we've done so far for the sit Down. Simon was so candid and insightful and his passion for the sport really shone through.
Speaker 1: Simon Ray, thank you very much for joining us in the studio today.
Speaker 3: Hi Matt, Hi Viv, thanks for having me. Good to be here.
Speaker 1: Why don't we start at the beginning and how you came to play tennis in a country like New Zealand, which may be compared to Australia, doesn't have quite the same tennis tradition or visibility at the top.
Speaker 3: No, I think that's really fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been a while since I explored that question or thought about that question. I grew up on the north shore of Auckland back in New Zealand, as you describe, and really stumbled across tennis, almost quite literally. So Dad used to walk the dog near the lake. There's a natural freshwater lake, a volcanic lake near where we live on the north shore of Auckland, and the dog would really enjoy being exercised near that lake and the tennis courts border the lake Lake Poopuck on the north shore of Auckland near Milford and Takapuna, and the dog would be hunting for tennis balls and finding plenty that had gone over the fence. And one day an elderly gentleman beckoned me down to the court when I was there with my dog. I think maybe I'd had a rack in my hand and I was hitting on the wall, the volleyboard, the volleyboard wall.
Speaker 3: You know, which never misses.
Speaker 4: And Joe o' rourke, this great Catholic man from the Milford Tennis Club on the north shore of Auckland, said to me, come on down, Come on down, and he went on, I must have been I don't know, seven or eight. And he went on to hit with me before school most mornings for the next.
Speaker 3: Three or four years.
Speaker 4: And he wasn't a coach as we know a coach, but he was a volunteer at the club. He was fixing up the fence, he was fixing the lights when they were out of action. He was teaching me life lessons. He was a World War Two veteran. I was a poor bear at his funeral and he was the most remarkable man. And so that was my introduction to tennis. He literally, out of the goodness of his heart, introduced me to the sport. Became a part of our family, or I became a part of his. And so it was really that fateful kind of path that led me to the sport of tennis.
Speaker 1: What was it that made you stick with tennis or that you loved about it?
Speaker 4: Okay, sorry, there was a part of me that really enjoyed and this is probably two parts or two sides of this coin. I think later on in life, and that's perhaps this is me thinking about the grass being greener. There's a part of me that wishes I wonder if I'd explored a team sport for a little longer, and the appeal of the team sport, but I think being young and ambitious and driven, I think what I I really would have enjoyed was that hard work, which is something that I've tried to pride myself on over the journey as a solid enough work ethic, the reward for effort there. So if you wake up in the morning and get to work, whether it's on the volleyball or with Joe O'Rourke, who was a self taught man, or with my first formal coach at the Milford Tennis Club, and the harder you work, the lucky you tend to get and the more doors open for you. And so I think that was probably one of the things, was the competitor in me was growing and evolving and I was seeing opportunity out of my hard work. And that's always a nice feeling, I think anytime for all of us when we get reward for effort. So it was probably that. Right back at it now, I'm talking a little bit older, probably eleven twelve thirteen, as I got into the competitive pathway that existed in tennis in New Zealand.
Speaker 1: And your competitive pathway took you to college, I think, yeah, University of Tennessee, Yeah, and then also the New Zealand Davis Cup team.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you mentioned Matt and I think it's a good segue, and you mentioned probably part of the limited lineage that tennis in New Zealand has experience compared to the incredible lineage of tennis in this country in Australia, and I think that's really fair. But one of the childhood heroes of all of us down in New Zealand was Chris Lewis, who made that Wimbledon final in nineteen eighty three. I think it was against John McEnroe, and that was a moment that all New Zealand has tended to remember. Chris ended up and his brother Mark, who coached Michael Stick who was the German Wimbledon champion. So there was a bit of a coaching royalty between Chris and Mark there in New Zealand, and both of those two ended up coaching me at seventeen eighteen, and I was a handy junior in New Zealand. You know, I was probably final of twelves Nationals and semi final of fourteen's Nationals. But I was never really the best junior in the country until I had started to have a little bit more success really by virtue of the fact that I came under Chris and Mark's umbrella for a couple of years there. At seventeen eighteen, I was finishing my time at Auckland Grammar School at the same time, and that was seventeen eighteen was when I first broke through to become the national champion, if you like.
Speaker 3: In the eighteen took me.
Speaker 4: I was around the mark, but it took me until seventeen probably to win my first national title. And off the back of that at eighteen, look, I thought I was ready and good enough to go and play professionally. And I was driven and hungry and wanted to chase the dream like every seventeen or eighteen year old did. But you know, Mum and Dad probably had the good counsel and the good awareness A to know they couldn't afford it, and b perhaps to see some of the things that I couldn't see and go, oh, I'm not sure in their own minds. Maybe I'm not sure if they thought that'd be a question for I'd have to ask them today. But really, the only path for me financially where we were at was the US college system and the University of Tennessee. And Chris Marney, who was responsible for giving giving me my first coaching job here at Tennis Australia, was my assistant coach there in Knoxville at the University of Tennessee. So sometimes what's that saying, it's not what you know, it too, you know, And that's certainly been something that's been true for me in my journey in tennis over the two or three decades.
Speaker 3: I've been lucky enough to be in the sport.
Speaker 2: And then you, of course went on to have a coaching career. How did that coaching career come about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I mentioned Chris really to this day very indebted to Chris. So, you know, I mentioned my playing ambitions and I probably had one shot at that and graduated from the University of Tennessee. I finished my playing eligibility in two thousand and four, but I hadn't finished my ironically enough journalism degree at that point.
Speaker 3: In time.
Speaker 4: It did go back and finish that in two thousand and six, and was really fortunate that the university, because it's in their interest they want to graduate their student athletes, they would pay for you to come back and do that. So look, long story short, we had a really disappointing Davis Cup lost there to Pakistan. I think in two thousand and four, I had a base in America at the time. I had an American girlfriend at the time, and I wasn't as resilient. In hindsight, I wasn't as resilient as I would hope that my kids would be in the same situation. I probably thought, oh, look this is getting a bit hard. I'm running low on funds. I've got an American girlfriend back here who had this really disappointing diabolical park that lost to Pakistan. We're down to group two in Asia Oshi only for the first time ever. It went a bit pear shaped and the team environment. We lost three too, and I was the loser of the three ties and the five match rubber if you like. It wasn't a great sequence of events, if you like. And at that point in time, I thought, look, I'm never going to play again. And it was only as a byproduct of finishing your studies you were required to come and hit some balls with the next student athletes that were coming through. So a year or two later, I'd started doing some informal coaching with some youngsters on the team and found myself a little bit older, perhaps that little bit wiser. That's arguable, just a different perspective on life. And as I was coming towards the finish the later stages of my actual degree, I thought, I'm probably hitting the ball better than I ever had before, and started to play again. And that's when I had just a little bit of really lower level success on the future what we called the future circuit back then. And look, in two thousand and eight, I had some arm problems. That wasn't the reason I realized it at twenty six years of age. I think at that point in time two thousand and eight, Yep, I'm not good enough and I'm never going to be good enough. So that can be quite to confronting, or I certainly provide a bit of a jolt in your life, a bit of a where to next. And for me it was quite simple. I'd always loved coaching of all sports, I'd always studied coaches, coach k and during my time in the States at the Duke University men's basketball program, or you name a coaching book. At Paul Rouse's book back here in Melbourne, you know, I'd read it. As a teenager. I was passionate about coaching, not just tennis, but all kind of all things sport. And so if it was a case of I think there's a saying for that as well. What you can't do, you try to teach. So I thought, hey, I'm not going to be able to make it as an elite player. I'm not good enough, I don't have the ability. I'm not going to kind of crack that glass ceiling. Let me try and turn my hand to something that maybe I can be truly great at. And I don't think i've, by no means have I been truly great at coaching. But the opportunity that Chris as my assistant coach at Tennessee, had then pivoted to become the head coach at what was the National Academy in Melbourne back at that time. He was short on staff, and he said, hey, look, there's no guarantees here some but if you'd like to sue this, you can go through the process and try to win the role. So I did and Melbourne came home for me back in two thousand and eight. So that was really what opened my pathway to the last of the best part of the last couple of decades here at Tennis Australia.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, and you have coached some high profile players, including Nick Curios at Wimwooden in twenty he was twenty fourteen, he made his run to the quarterfinals. What was that experience like working with him?
Speaker 4: Look, I reflect on my time with Nick. It's a long time ago. Now it's a decade ago. I reflect on my time with Nick really fondly. By and large. That's not to say that went challenges along the way, and you know Nick is someone that would certainly challenge you as a coach. I learned an enormous amount from Nick. Just on your first point, I think Brent Larkham, who was another person that's been a really big influence on my coaching career and given me great opportunity along my time here at Tennis astral said to me once, look, good players make good coach and I think that's true. So I was really fortunate to have throughout my coaching tenure at tennis astraight access or opportunity or an involvement with some of our better players in the sport. Nick loved to challenge, He loved to push back. I learned a lot. I think, probably some of the things that I thought I believed at the start of my time with Nick, and then what I'd learned over that eighteen months. And it was only eighteen months, but I learned an enormous amount. And I think I'd be better for that experience where I ever to re enter the coaching fray And as I said, yeah, by and large look back on that time really fondly. One thing about Nick that I do recall, you know, I think that's probably evolved over time and turned into that entertainer and that charismatic kind of showman and that alternative style. And I think there was an element of that that was always there in Nick. There was always kind of a trickiness in coaching Nick or applying some rigor or some discipline to Neck or Nick would love to argue. I can remember talking about language with Neck and why it was important, and he would take the alternative point of view and argue his case really strongly. But one thing I do remember. You know, Nick would be doing a simple training drom warming up over at the National Tennis Center here, just a few hundred meters from where we are today, and he'd be warming up, hitting balls up and down the middle with his peers, you know, some of the other best players in Australia. And if I were down his end, you know, just four or five meters behind him at the baseline, and the players missed down the other end. This is in the first five or ten minutes of the session. He would say things like, you can't afford to miss that, just quietly under his breath.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It wasn't a sledge at the it was almost I reflect on that as him being this is the cerebral part that I think we has gotten lost maybe over the last decade or so. This is the cerebral part of neck that was going, I reckon. I know the level and that's not the level, and that miss there is going to end up hurting you. So things like that I've always been able to kind of vividly remember. And then the Wimbledon experience specifically in twenty fourteen, Gee, that was interesting. And Aaron Kellett, who was the physical performance coach, did a great job with Nick because Nick when he came into the program at fifteen, Nick was flat out doing one push up. And again, you know, the clever part of Nick, I think realized over the ensuing four or five years, oh, my physicality is probably not going to wash based on where it's out at the moment. So Nick and Aaron formed a really great team and Nick actually got to work on his physicality. You know, it wasn't always perfect, and he pushed back and challenged Aaron as well, but he knew, I've got a hole here in my game. Aaron can help me. Let's get to work, you know. And there were plenty of ups and downs on the way, but I always respected or admired or want to acknowledge that part of Nick. You know, he knew what needed to be done, whether he could bring himself to do it on a daily basis, but he knew He's not silly Nick. He was pretty clue onto where he was strong, perhaps where he needed room for improvement, and who could help him along the way.
Speaker 1: So Curiosi's Wimbledon campaign in twenty fourteen, he started with a win over Stefan Robert and then said heaps of match points to beat Richard Gasgay. But you were a little bit concerned that he might have a letdown after the gas Game match when he played Vessely so.
Speaker 4: And I remember saying to him, mate, Hey mate, our time might be come to an end, but I'm not going to let this die. I'm not prepared to allow you to let go of this golden opportunity.
Speaker 3: Because it was classic Nick.
Speaker 4: It was like Nick against gas Gay in round two, underdog against one of the great players, one of the elite play. That's his environment, like on show caught to it, when we look at what I can do, look at what I can bring to this moment. Then it was Vessely who was a really really good player, I don't get me wrong, really accomplish play. But then it's sort of like, oh, this is just a bit more ho hum. This is now round three at Wimbledon against someone forty six in the world. I'm just making this up forty six in the world. Oh, I've actually just got to go and win this match to then get through to round four and have the raffa opportunity again. So round three was the challenge. Raffa and Gasque weren't the challenge, and I'm sort of saying to Nick like, hey, mate, I'm sorry, but I'm just not prepared to allow you to waste this incredible opportunity. I wouldn't be doing the right thing by you. And we had a bit of a robust conversation and by no means am I the reason that he won that match. But there's a bit of an insight into some of those conversations. And he came out actually after that rain delay and he was firing and all silly, Yeah he was, he was. It was a different Nick than we saw in the hour and a quarter of tennis before the rain delay, and it ended up being an incredible note for Nick and I to finish on. Obviously, the match over Raffa, the win over Raffa was something I'll never forget and speaks to I don't know how I don't have that in me. I don't know how you can walk on to that court for the first time you've never walked on there before, and I've said this before, and not think that you're going to be competitive. No, no, no, no, you're gonna you're thinking that you're going to dominate this guy, and you've got no shadow of doubt in your mind.
Speaker 3: It's like, watch me go. Are you coming with me?
Speaker 4: I remember I came in from a run that morning and we were kind of sharing an apartment or town and he said to me, so I pop around the corner, so sow good morning, Nick. I pop around the corner. He said, signs come back. I said, Oh, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Nick?
Speaker 4: He said, oh, I'm versing your boy today, versing your boy because he knew I loved Rafa and I talked to Nick all the time about Raffas.
Speaker 3: Stand That's me, raff is my guy.
Speaker 4: I'm a Rafa guy, like standards day in day out, discipline, carry your own bag, do it the right way. I love everything that Raffas stands for. And Nick kind of knew that, and I said, no, no, no, Nick, you're my boy again. So that's just him like just needling a little bit or just but it was almost like he was sort of saying to me, I got something in store for you today, you know, And sure enough he did. It was a remarkable performance, and I reckon he wasn't far away from Bitten Rayonich in the quarter Finals either from memory.
Speaker 2: Sounds like he prepared you for that match against Rafa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Well I came back.
Speaker 4: It's actually funny you should say that because there was a bunch of us over there. You know, there were probably four or five of us the night before the match. I remember Todd Larkham, who'd had such a big involvement with Nick throughout his developmental phase at Canberra. One of the best coaches I've ever had anything to do with. And now Tennis Australia Pathway, Mark A. Reid, who's my boss today, who was the head of Innovation, who was leading up our Triple sm team back then, so our sports science and sports medicine team.
Speaker 3: He was over at Wimbledon.
Speaker 4: And Shannon Nettle, who was again a good mate of mine today, Stinger and one of the best coaches I think we've ever produced in Australia.
Speaker 3: I just I rate Stingers so highly. And we're going through the footage. They said to me, how much footage if you watched on RAFA and.
Speaker 4: I would have watched fifteen sets by this point over the preceding thirty six days. Anyway, we're going through it and the sort of four of us are agonizing over it, and I'm jotting down my notes in my book. And it's funny you should say that if I came up to Nick before the match, we had the routine, you know, you warm up, and then he'd go and have a shower whatever you and then I'd go to my notebook, right, and then.
Speaker 3: We're about to have a bit of a chat.
Speaker 4: And it was always very earnest for me, very serious, very you don't want to get that wrong.
Speaker 3: That's your moment as you've got a responsibility, right.
Speaker 4: So I went through the report and I wasn't quite sure just how well I was connecting or where his mind was at. So I said, Nick, just checking him, mate, you got all that, like you know, serve return from the back of the court. This is the plan A, this is Plan B. Keep this up your sleeve. This is what I'm expecting. He's at his most dangerous when he's dealing, when he's operating in this way. So we can't let that happen under any circumstances. Good, you're clear with that, to keep it simple. Yeah, so yeah, yeah, I'm good mate. I got it, sir, big play big, I got it. I was like okay, beauty, and please do. I've watched that fifteen hours of fifteen sets of footage and consulted the other experts in the room, and it was like that was him saying, just watch me, shine, sir, big play, big back myself, biggest stage in world tennis. I'm going to put in something special. So that's a really good prompt to reflect on that story.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I also remember that.
Speaker 1: I think my undying memory of that match was that between the legs when he hit and when you watch I don't know what point of the match it was, but like he almost half folly something between his legs. Yeah, and the commentator whoever it was, was just gone, like they were just never seen get by what they saw in the way he celebrated, and you were like, yeah, it was quite as you said, when he walks onto the court, how do you come on and own the place when you've caught in tennis and you have been there was that was almost that moment.
Speaker 4: I'm just in awe of that. I don't have that in me, you know, I wouldn't. I don't know how you instill that in someone. I'm just in awe of that. Capability that Nick has to shine in that moment and to produce his best tennis and to have not one shadow of doubt that he's going to dominate that environment. You guys are kind of really prompting me to reflect on these memories that I wasn't sure that I still had, because when that shot happened, that's an example of the type of stuff that Aaron and I would have been trying to say, we don't want that.
Speaker 3: Stuff, and you do it.
Speaker 4: So I remember I was kind of leaning over the hoardings, you know, and holding on like this, and Aaron's kind of I can't remember if he's half jumped out of his seat, and I'm trying not to kind of go banana's myself. It's obviously the hell of a shot, but I'm trying to play the poker face, right, and I'm just kind of hanging under the hoardings, going mate, I'm not moving.
Speaker 3: I'm not applauding for that.
Speaker 4: So the rest of the jokers in the stand and you're trying to send the coaching exactly.
Speaker 3: So I suspect that was well.
Speaker 4: Time would say that I've fought a losing battle there, because there's been more and more of that over time. But hey, that's what I believed, and that's what I wanted to stand for as a coach, and that's what he wanted to stand for as an athlete.
Speaker 3: And he's the one out there playing. So there you go.
Speaker 1: Interestingly, the next player you worked with with Sam stoves a polar opposite, much more reserved and.
Speaker 3: Inwood and plays of a Korea different vas.
Speaker 1: In Korean that she was already a Grand Slam champion obviously playing, you know, coaching a top woman versus the top man. What was that shift like to go from working with Nick to Sam?
Speaker 3: A big shift?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think I reckon I made some mistakes along the way, but happy to share any of those. Before I do that, I would just kind of tip my cap and marvel at what a professional, what a work ethic, what a love of the game, what a mentally tough human being before you even get to tennis player, Because you know, as Federer said recently at the kind of commencement speech, you know that fifty four percent of his points at the greatest of all time or one of the greatest of all time. And Sam had plenty of heartbreaking moments, particularly here in Australia, you know where. That was a really challenging environment for her over a long period of time to handle being the hometown favorite and all of that expect and pressure kind of heaped on her shoulders, and she'd.
Speaker 3: Just keep fronting up.
Speaker 4: Like you know, Sam is talk about mental toughness, because it's one thing to kind of shy away from that or try to avoid, or it's another thing altogether to kind of know it's coming, know what you've got to deal with, know how uncomfortable maybe it might make you in certain circumstances, and to keep showing up. I just kind of marvel at Sam's mental toughness, and it learned a lot from her because where I was coming from and where Sam we're coming from.
Speaker 3: Like Sam.
Speaker 4: I think Sam's attention to detail, professionalism, attention to the one percenters, I found those quite remarkable. But in Sam's mind, she didn't want any praise for that. That's just business as usual. She's just like, no, no, no, I just want to know about the next opponent, top three ways to break through them, that's all. But I found Sam an icon of the sport, an incredible credit to herself, to a family I mean, what can I say hasn't already been said about Sam? And I learned a lot along that journey as well.
Speaker 2: You returned to New Zealand and had a stint as high performance director tell us about tennis in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: Today, Well, that was kind of a really I was really grateful for the time in New Zealand I had a and I was really grateful for what led me to this point. As it turns out, I might not have realized it at the time. I had a tough marriage break up here in Australia, We had a restructure at Tennis Australia and I could have reapplied for a coaching position, no guarantee I was going to win it, but I chose not to. So there was a kind of a redundancy involved there. So and I moved back home. Now, if you talk to I don't know, if you talk to a GP, they'll probably say to you, hey, some of the more stressful things that can happen in your life relationship breakup, tick, moving house, tick, and lost a job tick.
Speaker 3: So that was a really challenging period for me.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't until probably a couple of years later that I was able to maybe sit back, take stock and see it for what it was. Perhaps wasn't processing that period at the time as well as I might have been, but I was grateful for the time back in New Zealand. It was a small team, it was on a shoestring budget. We were really well led by Julie Patterson, who was the CEO, who I think you guys would have had experiences like this throughout your professional journey. We all would have where you may not gel with someone early days, but by the time I left, and Anna, who's now the mother of our three kids, was pregnant with our firstborn. She was over in New Zealand for a period of time, but she'd always been really clear, if and when we're lucky enough to have a family together, I want to do that back in Geelong.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that you talk about the success of New Zealand players because it kind of has been this more successful period with Daniel and Venus at Tokyo, Aaron Routliffing Doubles and Lulu Sun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How do you think that resonates back in New Zealand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's been huge news. I reckon the biggest news since the Chris Lewis nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 3: I think it was eighty three. The reference that.
Speaker 4: I made earlier was Lulu and this run to the fourth round of Wimbledon over the last couple of months, so it's been front page news on the New Zealand Herald back there.
Speaker 3: It's been huge.
Speaker 4: So I think tennis hasn't been in the headlights in that way. I don't reckon since nineteen eighty three. So even though Lulu's a really recent addition, you know, we've seen that in Australia. We've seen the outpouring of love and admiration and support for Eiler and Dasher and some of these players that didn't always call Australia home but certainly do so now and will forever in a day, and I think it's the same in New Zealand, and just so exciting for Julie and the team at Tennis New Zellen who still Julie still heads up the team there at Tennis New Zealen. I'm really hoping that that can inspire a generation of youngsters like we've seen here with Ash and with Leyton and with Sam and with all of our our and now it's Alex and all of great champions in Australia and tennis. I think at a really and I don't know the data and behind this at a really simple level, you know, I think you want to hold the trophy up like those great champions. So I'm really hoping that can be the catalyst that has tennis more on the map over the next couple of decades in New Zealand than it has been.
Speaker 1: I actually heard an interview they syndicated an interview on se n Z so C New Zealand and they got Belinda Cardwell, Yeah, the strain up in semi finalists to talk about lu Lusan and it was this growing story. It was really cool and even to remember the chief made of semi finalcy so that that's been actually a lineage of good of good results of New Zealand. I's just a little bit spaced.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think I don't reckon there's any reason why they can't overcome some of these challenges. Another one is it's a wet country and winter New Zealand like it's seriously wet. You know, people ask me how Melbourne compares. I reckon Melbourne. I don't know the science on this I reckon, Melbourne feels colder to me, especially over the last few weeks.
Speaker 3: It's been pretty.
Speaker 4: Bitterly cult It's turned this week, which is fantas but I think New Zealand gets so much more rain and you can overcome that. But you've got to have the indoor facilities, and you've got to have your youngsters that can kind of access the courts at the right time and can get the support from their schooling, and you need the tennis ecosystem. And my view is on Kiwi sport and they've always done it well. They had a terrific Olympic Games just passed again in Paris. They punched well above their weight. They do it through coming together. Yeah, and I don't think we've done that tremendously well in tennis in New Zealand over the last two, three, maybe four decades. So that's an opportunity that lies in wait.
Speaker 1: I reckon your focus now is data analysis, and I know you said before that's something you're very passionate about and you strongly believe in that as part of your coaching philosophy. So I just wonder where that why that side of the game appeals to you and how that kind of came to be in your coaching philosophy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think probably the best way I would try to answer that was probably HARKing back to what I touched on with my time with Nick in terms of the you know, the notes and he said, yeah, I've got it some. I've done seven and a half hours of homework for this moment, and next gone, yeah, I've got it some.
Speaker 3: So big, play big, I've got to just watch me go to work.
Speaker 4: But I think that responsibility of a coach to be as informed as you can possibly be, as rigorous and as applied and as specific as you can in your analysis of the next opponent, I think that's a really heavy responsibility. And I've heard Dave Taylor, who's a coach that I admire so much, talk about the responsibility and the weight of responsibility that a coach has in their hands, and I think that's always something that weighed really heavily on me. So a big part of that is the work that we do now in terms of what can we understand that can help our Australian players and coaches, is that trends of the game itself over time, is that how player A has changed from twenty twenty two to twenty twenty four, so that our Aussies when they come up against them, can be prepared for those changes. No, no, no, they're not the same player that they were in twenty twenty two. Let me show you how they've changed over time. And I think some of the talk about work ethic, you know, some of the traveling and the rigor that's involved in coaching is really demanding, particularly living down here in Australia so far from the tennis hubs around the world right as the tennis kind of calendar follows the sun everywhere. But the work ethic of this team I'm involved in now, to be honest, I've never seen anything like it. Vivan Matt, you know, and I see you in here the first thing in the morning, but I'm out of here at kind of early in the afternoon or you know, early in the evening. And this team I'm working in, you know, Olivia and Shatia, doctor Olivia Kan and doctor Shatai Goonku and Levi Hardlesten. These guys are working so hard in the back end to kind of power these insights, and Levi and Shatia engineering the systems and lives working her brilliance to help me tell the stories of how players are maybe evolving. So that's the part that I think ties in with kind of the world that I've known is hey, guys, you guys can do some brilliant work in a way, I think part of the challenges And I was still having this conversation just before I came in here with Live, Hey, Live, we could do a fifteen page kind of real deep dive on Taylor Preston, for example, is one of the Aussies that we're really supporting heavily at the moment. But we've still got to be able to make it simple enough for it to resonate with the coach like we've all only got and Brad's a really clever guy, Brad, but we've all only got so much capacity to absorb information. So how can we take the wonderful amount of insight that lives able to generate and craft and curate and distill it down so that Brad's got three, maybe four really easily understood clear takeaway. Okay, I need to get to work with Tay here, here, here, and here and maybe it's just two things for the next three months, and these other two can sid on the back burner, but in twelve months from now, we need to see improvement across these four areas, so that's still part of the challenge, is simplifying all of the amazing insights that these guys are capable of crafting.
Speaker 1: Well, Simon, thanks so much for being really generous of your time, and I'm glad we were able to stir some memories in your mind and get you to reflect on that. That was really amazing talking to you.
Speaker 4: It's been a lovely opportunity for me to reflect on all of these experiences. So thanks for the invitation, Vivan Matt I really appreciate this.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Wasn't that a fascinating chat with Simon and all of his experiences in tennis.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I often think when we have our sit down guests that we could just talk to them for hours longer, But I guess there's so much time in the day I've got, isn't there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we would love to keep talking all day long, but we'll be back next week when we talk to John Fitzgerald on Davis Cup and Australian Tennis.
Speaker 1: And in the meantime you can join John on the team. This Thursday on the Aoshow Weekly.
Speaker 2: Details for how to contact us are in the show notes, and as always, please remember to subscribe, rate, and review.
Speaker 1: Oh and while we've got you here, feel free to reach out to us if you've got any ideas for who you'd like us to sit down with, and we'll see if we can make it happen. We'll see you next week, Viv look.
Speaker 3: Forward to it. Matt,