Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud Yr the Order Kerney Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money diaries where we get to talk with one of our incredible She's on the Money community members all about their money story. Let's jump straight into it, because this week I got a message and it sounded exactly like this. Hi, Victoria, I came to Australia from Brazil five years ago as a student with one thousand dollars and now I make one hundred and eighty thousand dollars. A year plus working in mining, from working on a cruise ship to doing air Tasker, I have sacrificed and saved, and I have finally made my way up the pay brackets. I love she's on the money and cannot wait to share my can do story with you. Ah money darrist I can't wait to hear your can do story either. Are you joking? From doing air tasker to earning one hundred and eighty grand a year? Are you kidding?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yes, looking back, I cannot even believe that I lived so many lives, I worked in so many things, and now I'm here having a leadership position in a very major dominated industry and like just thriving.
Speaker 2: Queen, absolute queen behavior. I love to see it. Let's get into it because I am very excited. It's a very inspirational story. Let's start the way I always start money. Dis tell me if I asked you to give yourself a money grade from A through to F, what would that grade be.
Speaker 5: I think I would be a grade B because I think I'm good at savings. But I also like I'm a Taurus, so I think I like to indulge myself.
Speaker 2: Into Yeah, that's going to get you, Yes.
Speaker 5: Especially traveling, so I travel a lot, so I could be better at savings, but I think I'm pretty good at Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, i'm a Cancerian, so it's like my way or the highway. If I want a little treaty treat, I obviously deserve a little treaty treat for doing nothing. So like, that's absolutely fine, let's get into it. Though you moved here five years ago from Brazil, tell me more about your money story.
Speaker 5: Yes, so when I was living in Brazil, I'm a mechanical engineer, so I staid in mechanical engineering and from the beginning, my dad always said, you have to have a spreadsheet, have a spreadsheet for everything.
Speaker 2: He's a genius man after my own heart.
Speaker 5: He's like, I won't give you one cent if you don't show me that you were doing a spread cheet and everything. And then I was like, oh my god, this is so annoying. This was actually the worst. I was like, no, this can't be true. I can't do this for the rest of my life. But I eventually got into it. I never saved any money. I was not good with money. I absolutely didn't have any money. I graduated and with zero savings, but then I was an adult and in real life, and.
Speaker 4: I had to fight a job. And I couldn't fight a job.
Speaker 5: I had a mechanico engineering degree, I knew how to speak English, I had done internships, but I couldn't find a job.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, Yeah, especially because you were so talented and the fact that you speak honestly such clear English. I mean, you've been here for five years, but I'm sure that you've been able to speak English for longer than that. It's just like wow, Like that's such especially where you're from, Like that's so valuable.
Speaker 4: Yes, it should be.
Speaker 5: And I graduated from a good university and with an engineering degree, and I couldn't find a job.
Speaker 4: And then that got me.
Speaker 5: I spent like six months apply and because I live in a remote part of Brazil, I had to travel for job interviews.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: And then it was very heartbreaking for me.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, was that really disheartening? Were you just really upset? Because I would have just been like I've tried so hard and i just feel like I'm getting nowhere.
Speaker 5: I got nowhere. I was so heartbroken. It was at a point of my life. I was like I just was lying in bed, and I was like, what's the point. What's the point.
Speaker 4: And then I just decided to get a job. I said, I'm going to get a job anywhere they want me to get a job, like they anywhere they accept me. And then I got a job in a cruise ship.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, I feel like I love this work ethic. You're like, no, I'm not gonna lie in bed. I don't care. I'm just going to take any job. You just applied for a job on a cruise ship one day, yes.
Speaker 4: Because my friend said that.
Speaker 5: I had a friend alongline friend and he said, I think that if you get a job in a cruise ship, it'll.
Speaker 4: Give you a resilience.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then he said I think that'll be a very good grow opportunity for you. And then I applied for it.
Speaker 5: And then they were like, they literally take anyone that can speak English.
Speaker 2: So I mean, all right, well we've got a job ten out of ten.
Speaker 4: Yes. So I got a job. And then my parents were not very happy because or like you were an engineer.
Speaker 2: Because you can't get a job as an engineer, Mom, that's why.
Speaker 5: So I went to the cruise ship. And then this cruise ship I worked for six months, and let me tell you, they don't have any days off, like, no days off, No, not a single day off. You have to work every day for six months and you only get paid like five hundred US dollars.
Speaker 2: Wait, like a week or a month or a month? No, absolutely not.
Speaker 4: You're going to get paid a month and plus.
Speaker 5: Because I was a salesperson, I was getting commissioned, so if I seld things.
Speaker 2: I'd buy stuff from you. So did you make lots of commissions?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: In total I would get in between seven hundred US dollars and a thousand US dollars per month for six months.
Speaker 4: But it was working twelve hour days or more.
Speaker 2: My gosh, did you enjoy this experience or is that something you're like, I really want to be in the engineer now.
Speaker 5: I felt like it was a great experience because one day one lady told me, oh, I used to work like you did before. And the beadt thing about this is you're never going to have a worse job ever.
Speaker 2: The audacity. I love that. So you can only go out from here, babe, It can only go up from here.
Speaker 4: You can only go up. And then I thought it was very inspiring actually because no matter how bad like I'm feeling about my other jobs, I'm like, I've been through worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair, fair, But I.
Speaker 4: Got to travel. It was very fun.
Speaker 5: It was a little bit tiring because you worked for eight hours and then you will have a chance to travel. You were in Barcelona, but you're like, oh my god, I'm so tired.
Speaker 3: They not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, but I saved a lot. I saved like three thousand US dollars. I didn't spend any money shit. I like, I think it's just something changing in my brain. And I was really focused to come Australia because I thought that Australia would be a good place to restart.
Speaker 2: Have fresh split.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to have a fresh start.
Speaker 5: And I had saved those three thousand dollars. It caused me maybe like five thousand dollars to come to Australia. I know. My dad helped me with a little bit more money and then he said, okay, now I have to go. And then when I arrived here, I had very little.
Speaker 4: Money, like I was nothing. I told you, like one thousand dollars, two thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Which in this economy doesn't stretch that far.
Speaker 4: Right, When I had to play for Bond. I was living in a room with two other girls, Like, yeah, wow, my house had I think, my.
Speaker 2: People what and you're all sharing rooms, all sharing rooms.
Speaker 4: That was a guy leaving the couch.
Speaker 5: It was crowded, but I think it's a lot of international students come here and they.
Speaker 4: Had experienced the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I was here and then I had six months because I wasn't studying English.
Speaker 4: I already knew how to speak English. I was study a Certificate of in Project Management SMART and I started looking for jobs.
Speaker 5: And it was I thought. I was like, I'm going to get into the country. I know how to speak English. It'd be so easy.
Speaker 4: It wasn't easy.
Speaker 6: No, oh my gosh, it wasn't easy, like as easy as I thought now that I when I think about it, it was easier because I could speak English.
Speaker 4: But when you're leaving the moment, you're feeling like, oh my god, overwhelmed, overwhelmed.
Speaker 5: I'm in this new country, I don't know anyone. I'm leaving this room with these two other girls who I've never met before, and I don't have a lot of money. So I had to find money. So I signed up for air test because the other people that lived with me, they told me about it. And in this air tester, because I didn't have any experience, no one was and hiring me book to you.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm guilty of that. Honestly. Whenever I'm booking an air Taska, I'm always like, I really want this job done. But like, obviously it's people I've never met before, so I literally just go, oh, they've got some good reviews, or I'll book them. That makes me want to book people who don't have any reviews.
Speaker 4: It happened.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry that was me.
Speaker 4: It happens.
Speaker 5: But because I will do that to you, like I will hire someone who has experienced. But then I just decided I created a great profile. I put some pictures so everyone could see like I'm smiley, I'm happy.
Speaker 2: A nice lady. Yeah yeah, like if I met you, i'd book you immediately, that's okay, yes.
Speaker 5: And then I noticed that if I got into the app at like six am or seven am, some people were posting jobs and no one was there to apply. And then I was like getting them because I was a faster, like the fastest.
Speaker 2: Yes, smart woman, she's speedy's speedy.
Speaker 4: It was all about speed. And then I started growing and I did so many jobs, like cleaning jobs. I did, handing pamphlets on the streets.
Speaker 5: I got some flowers for a guy to propose to his partner.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's so wholesome.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: And I had like many, many, many opportunities. It was a jump start, and it gave me a boost of confidence that I was really needing at the moment.
Speaker 4: I just started to have.
Speaker 5: A goal to make like one thousand dollars per week, and I was like, this is so impossible.
Speaker 4: I will never make one thousand dollars per week.
Speaker 2: Did you do it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, a thousand dollars a week on Air Taska.
Speaker 4: Yes. I was doing everything.
Speaker 5: And then because I was doing a lot of cleaning jobs and I didn't have vacuum cleaner, I used to get the vacuum cleaner behind my flatmates back because they couldn't see that I was taking the vacuum cleaner. And I was taking the vacuum cleaner on the public transport to clean other people's house.
Speaker 2: I love you, You're the best. Not the hustle is real. Get it clean, I No.
Speaker 4: I applied for and then I applied for another job. Who was promotions.
Speaker 5: It's they give you a stent and they make you go to supermarkets like you go to woolies. You go to calls and you have to do sampling. So you have to give some people. Do you want to cheese? Do you want to try this cheese? Do you want to try this yogurt? I told them that I had a car, but I didn't have a.
Speaker 2: Car, a ha ha ha.
Speaker 4: I remember, just for the money, and I was getting those standards.
Speaker 2: It's big, big, big set up, set.
Speaker 5: Up public transport, and I would go to so many places.
Speaker 4: It was insane.
Speaker 2: You're crazy, but I love it. And I also like mad respect for the hustle, like there seems to be I don't know this underlying, Like you know, people come in from international and they take our jobs. Like how many people actually have the resilience and the drive to do the jobs that you have done? Like I love it. You deserve everything that comes your way, like that is the best ever.
Speaker 5: That's how I was very focused on staying here because I love the country.
Speaker 4: I fell in love.
Speaker 5: It was so nice. I was like, I'm living here. I saved money to go to a migration lawyer. And then he said I was like, I'm an engineer. I can't stay here. My skill is in high demand. And he said, oh, I think. I don't think.
Speaker 4: Because you have no experience in engineering, it's not very likely that you migrate, so you have to get married.
Speaker 2: And I was like, what, No, let's get a new lawyer's let's not talk to him. He sounds like a bit of a fluff muppet.
Speaker 5: I was like, why, no, no way, and then I told I. Eventually I talked to someone else and they're like, no, we're going to have this plan for you, and you're going to study civil engineering a diploma. You're doing to do a diploma, you're gonna graduate, and then you're gonna have a graduate visa and it will be allowed to follow your path. And I was like, yes, this is the playtime going. And I arrived here in February two, twenty eighteen, and by June twenty eighteen, I had saved three thousand dollars four.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's the costs. Yeah, good work.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: The hustle was real. I bet you didn't want to separate with that too quickly.
Speaker 5: No, But I was like, I can't do this. I'm saving so much money. This country is amazing. It would get better. And then I did.
Speaker 4: I study. I paid for my course because when you're international student, you have to pay as you go.
Speaker 5: You don't have like hats or you can get alone. And I paid for everything and I didn't go out. I was leaving in Brisbane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people asked me, Oh, how about the restaurants in Brisbane.
Speaker 2: You're like, I don't know about restaurants in Brisbane. I'm saving.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I haven't bought clothes nothing. I was just saving, saving and studying, saving and study and saving and study. And then at the end of it, I have like four thousand layers and savings. And I decided to go to Japan. I was gonna thirt thirty, and then I was freaked out.
Speaker 2: You're like, I've got to do something big.
Speaker 5: I was having a crisis. I was like, I'm thirty, I have to do something. I've got to Japan. I was in Japan and I was living my best life.
Speaker 2: I love this. I love this.
Speaker 4: I thought, I'm going back to Australia and I'm working as I work and I'm saving this money back.
Speaker 2: It'll be funny exactly.
Speaker 4: It wasn't it was March twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's the worst. You got kicked twelve you were down.
Speaker 4: It was March twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: I mean, at least you squeazed a holiday in before the world locks it down. Strategic.
Speaker 4: I like it y and I had to come back because my boss was calling me and he was like, is that defent? Borders are gonna close. You have to come back.
Speaker 2: You need to come back, otherwise you're never coming back.
Speaker 4: I'm never comming. I I was never going coming back because the country stay closed for two years.
Speaker 2: Yes, crazy.
Speaker 5: I came back and I couldn't find a job because I worked with hospitality. I worked with international students, and that's how I paid my course too, because I got a job in this student agency and they had a discount, so it was much easier because I had like a thirty forty percent discount on my course, which was a very good money saving.
Speaker 2: Yeah money wain yeah money.
Speaker 5: Wait, Yes, twenty twenty happened, and then I just concentrated and finished my studies, studying a lot. I had some jobs, but it wasn't something like real, and then I de scided I only wanted to work as an engineer.
Speaker 4: It was very hard.
Speaker 5: I offered to do an internship for free, where I went from Brisbane to Go Coast on a train. I had no money, and I was having even less money because it costs like ten dollars the round trip from as a student, and I was like, is this the right choice?
Speaker 4: It wasn't really the right choice because I stayed there for one month and they told me I saw basically.
Speaker 5: I'm not really good at apparently at drafting. I tried again. I did everything.
Speaker 2: Seriously, I'm so proud of you. Are you proud of yourself? I bet you're proud of yourself. You have to begh after all this, I am.
Speaker 4: Because I paid for a company they span your regiment.
Speaker 5: That's how desperate I was. I don't recommend this to anyone because it is so bad and desperate, but I was desperate.
Speaker 4: I was desperate. I was like, I have to do something.
Speaker 2: You knew what you wanted.
Speaker 4: I had to try. I like I already had to know.
Speaker 5: So I spent my regiment and one company they called me and I worked there for one month. But the guy said, oh, you don't know how to do this, so I'm not paying you and I'm like, oh, fair, fair, I don't like you either.
Speaker 2: So oh no.
Speaker 5: Finally, in November twenty twenty, I had a friend and she said, oh, my friend has a vacancy in her company and you should apply. And she sent me the vacancy and it was for a civil engineer with five years of experience. And I was like, oh, but I'm a mechanic engineer with sero years of experience and she said, oh, that sounds different, but I applied anyway, give it a crack. It was COVID What's Crazy Times and then some guy called me and he was like, oh, are you interested to move to the outback Australia and leave in this mining town and we'll give you a job.
Speaker 4: And I was like absolutely, I'm going.
Speaker 2: Of course, I'm down for anything. At this point.
Speaker 4: I'm young for anything.
Speaker 5: And he said how long will it take you to come here? And I said one week.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. He would have been like that's crazy. Yes, fired immediately.
Speaker 4: U huh. In retrospect, when I'm thinking about it, I think, oh, I just said yes to this random guy I don't know to go to out back Australia. That's a little bit dangerous.
Speaker 2: That's a little bit questionable, but we're not gonna You're safe and fine now, so let's not talk too much about that.
Speaker 4: So it worked out fine.
Speaker 5: I went there and they had me on a salary of fifty four thousand a.
Speaker 4: Year, and for me, I was great. I was like, this is great. I loved it.
Speaker 5: I have an income now after a year of not tiving in an income. But I was working like sixty hours a week. And then I did the mess and I was like, oh, this is like a teenager working at McDonald's would make more money than I am.
Speaker 4: And then I was like, oh, this is not good. But like one month.
Speaker 5: Later they were like, oh we're making It was really good. So we're giving you a raise and you are making now seventy five thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: What from fifty four thousand to seventy five is a massive jump.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's why I was like, oh, my god, my god, much money. I was so impressed.
Speaker 5: But I was leaving the desert and a city with six thousand people. They have two pubs, and I was there all by myself again in the city where I knew and I didn't know anyone, but I was making more money than I could ever imagine I was going to make. And then everything happened. I got invited to apply for my permanent residency, and I told them, no, I can't live here anymore. There's nothing to do in this town. I'm not a big drinker. That's the only thing that people doing here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't. I'm going to leave.
Speaker 5: And then they said, oh, what if we labor hire you as an engineer to another company and give you fifty dollars an hour?
Speaker 2: And You're like, wait, well, why wasn't that an option at the start?
Speaker 5: I was like, okay, so I'm working for twelve hours and fifty dollars an hour.
Speaker 4: That's so much money. Of course I said yes.
Speaker 5: I said yes, And then I started working for this new company as a labor higher in August twenty twenty one. So in six months, I was like, I seex seven seven eight months, I went from being a student and making fifty four thousand dollars and to being a permanent resident and and making fifty dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. And you thought you'd picked there, didn't you.
Speaker 4: Yes. I was like, oh my god, this is so good, so good, so good. I was so happy.
Speaker 5: I was not so happy because it's a very demanding job too, very long hours. I started working at five am. But then I continue in this company and then they asked me to join the other company. I was being labor hirghed and they decide, oh, I'm gonna pay you sixty dollars an hour.
Speaker 4: And I was like yes, please, yes, please, yes, yes. It was great.
Speaker 5: I had like really good bosses who was They were always looking after me and they were like, oh, I'm gonna help you to negotiate your salary. He was the one who like, don't take less than sixty dollars an hour. As for sixty X for sixty, you're gonna get it. And that's worth really good for me because I was like fully, really proud of myself because I had people behind like who are helping me and eventually these balls of mine. He retired and I started working there in August. In December, he wrote a letter to his boss and said I'm going to retire and I want to be in my place.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what uh huh?
Speaker 4: And I was like, are you sure because you have been doing this for like thirty five years and I'm not thirty five years of age.
Speaker 2: No, you don't even look thirty. So that's the money win for everybody involved.
Speaker 4: Yes, And I was like, are you sure, and he's like, no, I'm sure.
Speaker 5: You are really good. You're really good. You need more. Of course, I'll guide you through it because you need experience, but you won't only get experienced by doing it, and I want to give you this opportunity. And he retired in April twenty twenty two and I start working in his position.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, and that's how you got to earn one hundred and eighty thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: Yes, because and then now I worked there, they didn't give me any raises, and then I asked them. I was like, oh, I'd been working in this role for like five months and I didn't get a raise or a letter saying I'm in this role.
Speaker 4: I'm just getting pushed into meetings and asked for.
Speaker 2: Saying, oh, yeah, that's not cool.
Speaker 5: No, no, and I asked for it, and then I said, oh, I'm going to see what I'm going to do. And then he offered me seventy five dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. And now she's rolling in it. I cannot believe it. Yes, I'm so proud of you. So tell me now, what's your job description and your salary package?
Speaker 5: So I'm a quality manager. Yeah, and I get a flat rate which is seventy five an hour. I do twelve hour days, so it adds up and yeah plus super supernovasion and that's what made.
Speaker 2: Yeah money when and that comes out at one eighty grand plus a year depending on how many hours you.
Speaker 4: Do, uh huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So tell me you are a hustle at heart like you are a very good saver. What are you now saving for? What's your big money goal?
Speaker 4: I'm saving to buy a house.
Speaker 2: Yes, are you going to live here forever?
Speaker 5: I will live here forever. I'm a seatter now and then I'm going to live here forever. So I'm trying to buy a house right now. I have everything saved. But money wise, I'm very I never made any big purchases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say, you need a good mortgage broker. I've heard Zella money are fantastic if anybody needs the best mortgage brokers in the business. But it's scary, isn't it, Especially when you go from not having a lot and having to work so hard for every single dollar to them. Being in a position where you're earning a lot more, do you feel like it can be kind of ripped away from you? Because I feel like a lot of people in your position that I talk too often like ah, what if it doesn't last?
Speaker 5: Yes, I feel that a lot. I don't do big purchases. I never bought a car because I I think that's a lot of money I don't need that I can leave without it. And because it's everything is so recent and it changes so much and so fast, I often feel some conscious like, oh is this gonna last?
Speaker 2: We know it is. You're a hustler, You're not going anywhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's when I was thinking about this and how far I came and how I had to restart again so many times, like COVID and I made it. I feel like I'll I'll be I think I'll be all right.
Speaker 2: I'll be all right, you will be absolutely fine. I'm so proud of you. Does it sometimes make you remember back to that time when you were in Brazil laying in your bed, going is this even worth it? Like I feel like so many of us have been in that position where we're like, this isn't worth it, nothing's working out, and then like a few years down the track, look at you killing it.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: And I also I wanted to share my story because some people are like, oh, I see a lot in the group.
Speaker 4: What people like, Oh, I'm twenty five and I don't have a house. Oh I'm gonna die. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know it's dramatic, isn't it. And you're like that doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: That doesn't matter. You can start again and try.
Speaker 5: I never thought about this as being oh, I'm so brave until everyone was pointed out though, oh you're so brave. You're so brave, and I was like, okay, actually maybe it is, and yeah, just everyone, you can do it too.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's interesting when people use the word brave right, like, please, don't get me wrong, I would love to be labeled brave, Like being brave is very, very impressive. However, I feel like sometimes you get labeled brave when you're just doing what you feel like you have to do in the moment. You're like, I'm not being brave. I just need to live life, and I just need money, and I need to put food on the table, and arguably that's not that brave. But I think it's it's more about being honest with ourselves, like so many people give up and to get up every single day and just do what you need to do and carry you know, whole sampling setups on trams and trains and you know, not having a car, like that's brave. That is brave. Like lots of people wouldn't do what you did, and I think that's why we default to this idea of, oh my gosh, that's so brave, and that's actually them saying I would never do what you did. I don't have that tenacity, and so you kind of go, yeah, I do, though, yes I do.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 5: And I feel like, especially in this immigrant community, there are a lot of people here who are by themselves, but they only see people who have partners driving because it's easier when you have someone to be your financial and emotional support. And I think it's good to spread this message that you can do it on your own too. I was not alone, like people are like, you're doing all.
Speaker 4: By yourself, and I'm like no, I had friends and my friends and then the family and.
Speaker 5: My friends help me so much. They were like always sporting me and saying you can do all this. You are amazing. They gave me a lot of support, so yeah, everyone can.
Speaker 4: Do it, I think so.
Speaker 2: No, I'm obsessed. I'm obsessed. Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. I have a few more questions for you, so guys don't go anywhere. All right, money diarist, We are back and your story is incredible. But I want to know do you have any investments? If so, what are they? If not, do you have plans?
Speaker 4: I do have investments, of course you do. I went to a financial advisor. Oh you queen, Yes, because I'm a planner. You are right.
Speaker 2: I mean your dad instilled in you that you had to have a spreadsheet, so I'm not surprised.
Speaker 4: I have ten thousand dollars in shares.
Speaker 2: No you don't. Yeah, oh my gosh, I love this for you.
Speaker 4: Uh huh. So I saved seventy thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: No you didn't, So no you didn't. Yes, so you you came to Australia, you with like one thousand dollars and did air task of tasks and now you are earning one to eighty plus plus super You have ten grand in shares and you've saved seventy grand. Yes, you're a queen.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I think, oh, for the amount of money I make, I could be saving more. But I think I did really well with my savings because I travel a lot this year. I went to Europe, I went to Bali, I went to Thailand.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you've still got seventy grand in savings. Oh my gosh. All right, well, we need to take all of our tips and tricks from you. I love this so much. Do you have any debt? No, no, debt. I've never been in debt. You've always just been a hustler.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: I had like a credit card to buy my MacBook and it was like two thousand dollars and that was it. I don't have any credit card debt, loans or car repayments, and I don't have a mortgage yet so yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that would be good debt when that happens.
Speaker 4: Yes, when when it happens, it will be good. But at the moment, I don't have anything, just my investment.
Speaker 2: So tell me. I feel like we have so much to learn from you. What is your best money habit?
Speaker 5: My best money habit at the moment is the thing that at the beginning of the year, I didn't have a lot of savings.
Speaker 2: Wait, so you've done most of these seventy thousand dollars in the last twelve months. Yes, you're crazy. I love it.
Speaker 5: It's because after I got my job and I was just went crazy.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: You know when you were on a diet and then you stop dieting and they were over eating.
Speaker 2: And you're like, I can go out to a restaurant now.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: The thing that helped me a lot was getting paid in a different account. So I opened this account. I started getting paid p in that account that I don't see, and then from the account, I get my expenses that I planned, and I pay myself weekly and I have to use only that money. And that helped me a lot, not too just seeing money in my bank account, like oh, I can't afford another T shirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I am guilty if that. That's why I had to like create my budget and cash flow like spending plan, because if I didn't do that, I would have just spent whatever was in my account. I'd be like, well, it's there for me. I told you before. I'm a kancian. I deserve a little treaty treat I have to have all my stuff taken off me.
Speaker 4: Yes, And you're like, oh, what is it? Hundred dollars, It won't matter. I had so much.
Speaker 2: Yes, it matters, It matters. It matters so much.
Speaker 4: It mattered so much.
Speaker 5: And another thing that I think it really helped me is I had a lady who does a consulting for your word group, so she would see your clothes and she she's a personal shopper, and she I was buying a lot of because I grew so much. I was not seeing myself in my clothes, and I was buying random clothes that didn't suit me, were not my style just because they were cheap or and she helped me into only buy what I really need, and that helped me not buying a lot.
Speaker 2: I love this. So you've gone from being like a broke Brazilian student with one thousand dollars to being a baller who owns one eighty, who's very very well dressed. I love this. Look at you go. Now you're just like a fashion queen.
Speaker 4: Uh huh. And now I also I make more.
Speaker 5: I'm more conscious about what I buy, so sometimes I have I see something on TikTok, like, oh, I have to buy this foundation because it makes.
Speaker 4: Your ski glow.
Speaker 5: And then I'm like, I have to buy this. There's only sixty dollars. It won't affect me too much. And then I wait, I save this in my interest wish list. Yes, And I think about it for a while and I.
Speaker 4: Don't forget about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that's me. I forget about it. If I don't buy it in the moment, I've already forgotten about it. And sometimes I do buy it in the moment, and then I forget about it and then it arrives my house and I'm like, why did I buy that.
Speaker 4: Free gifts?
Speaker 2: Why did I do that? I should have thought about this more. I meant to be the person that runs ches on the money, like I should be better at money. Yes, So would that lean into your worst money habit? What is your worst money habit?
Speaker 4: My love my worst money habit? There are two, which is traveling. I do like my trouble.
Speaker 2: That's not a bad money habit. No, I love that. That's a good money habit. I'm not letting that be a bad money habit. That's life experiences.
Speaker 4: I'm not very stingy with my money.
Speaker 5: So I try to help my friends and I give them money, which is it's a bad thing for my finances, but it's a good thing for them.
Speaker 2: But it's also a good thing. You sound like such a wholesome human being, Like you are so generous and kind, Like is that not nice?
Speaker 4: Yes, it's nice.
Speaker 5: It's bad for my money, but I'll have some friends because I can't count on all my parents to give me this money support. Like if I'm struggling, I know if I with they will help me. And I know that a lot of people don't have this, And.
Speaker 2: I feel I'm not letting that be a bad money habit. I know, absolutely not. It's too kind. Yeah, I feel like it could be a bad money habit, but like, let's reframe it. Does that make you feel good? Like does it make you feel like you're supporting your friends and like your community, and like I feel like that's a good money habit, Like I feel like more people should give and if it's supporting those that you already know and love, like, is that not great?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I think it is. It's just if I can help.
Speaker 2: Just because lots of other people don't do it. Doesn't make it a bad money habit for you to do it.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's these two were the the two things that I spend most of my money in things that I shouldn't suppose to. Yeah, and sometimes you know the occasional shopping and you're like, uh, yeah, it's a lipstick.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I'm so obsessed with like lip tints at the moment because of TikTok. Like I'm seeing all these girls on TikTok with beautiful lip tints and I don't own one lip tint yet, but I know I need to. And I have this like list in my phone of all these like lip tint companies and usually they are like Korean brands. So now I've got to find a way to buy them, but I want to try them first. Anyway, It's very very complex, but I totally.
Speaker 4: Get it, Yes it is. It is complex.
Speaker 2: I can't agree with you though, that that's a bad money habit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like that's the amount of bad money habit. And I think I do I should invest more. But because of the country I came from, the economic situation is not as good as in Australian. There's not as tables in here. When they ask me oh we have to do see your investor profile. And I'm like, I'm very conservative.
Speaker 2: Conservative. Yeah, I'm not surprised. I'm not surprised.
Speaker 5: They're like, you cannot be conservative. I'm like, this is the only part of my life.
Speaker 2: I'm conservative, But this is my money story. This is how I've grown up.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, I think it's because of where I came from.
Speaker 2: But those are goals for the future. Yeah, those are goals. Like investing more is a goal. It's not a letdown, right, Like that's something that we can do, not something that we crucify ourselves for not doing already.
Speaker 4: Right, I bought the book that she's on the Money Investment.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, thank you. That is so kind. All Right, so your money still is crazy. You arrived from Brazil five years ago, hustled your way up to one hundred and eighty thousand dollars. You've got some good money habits. You have saved seventy thousand dollars despite traveling, and you have ten grand in shares because you were smart enough to see a financial advisor and get those ducks in a row. You're planning on buying a house. Literally, hustled more than anyone I have met in the recent times. You think that your worst money habits is being too nice to your friends. And at the start of this episode you said, my money grade I think is a bee. Okay, I'm not gonna argue with you, but what would it take to get to an A or an A plus.
Speaker 4: I think if I went back to what my dad said about spreadsheets.
Speaker 2: I can help you there. I can help you there. I have a very good one. I'll gift you our money master class, and then you can go through all of that and it will sort you out and then automatically, I think that makes you an A plus.
Speaker 4: Yes, that'd be great. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Of course I am so proud of you already, and I do genuinely think if you're feeling a bit, what I'm getting from this story is that you're just feeling a bit like I'm doing what I think I need to do, but you don't actually have like a solid plan or you didn't listen to your data in spreadsheet enough. But I feel like you don't have enough of a like solid like No, this is my cash flow, this is where this goes, this is what this goal is working towards like I think we need that like money system to make us, I guess, feel really empowered. So it's not necessarily about going, oh, well, I have money coming in and I put it in my savings full stop. It's kind of like, well, actually, my cash flow system takes into consideration that I have these savings goals for travel, this savings goal for the future house I want to buy, this savings goal for maybe a car or something that you want to achieve in the future, And every single time you look at it, you go, no, I'm working towards my goals. I'm saving, I'm investing like it just makes you It's a lot more visible, right and it means that you feel like you're on track, because right now, I'm sure if you talk to your financial advisor, they'd be like money darist, You're fine. But that's not how you feel if you don't have a plan, right.
Speaker 5: No, it's when you go to see a financial advisor. I think it's very broad to what they present to you, and it's just like seeing a mortgage broker. They're like, oh, you have to choose a suburb you like, and I'm like, are you kidding me? There are how many twenty thousand suburbs in Australia hops you to laer it.
Speaker 4: Down to five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair, Sam, Yeah, I think you need to just create a plan. So I'm going to set you up with that, which I'm really excited about. If anyone's listening and actually wants to set themselves up with that, use the discount code pod five zero so pod fifty and it'll give you fifty bucks off. We'll make sure that the link to that is in the show notes as well. But Money Diarist, I'm so proud of you. I just want to be your best friend. So next time you're in Melbourne, we're going to go out for a drink. But thank you so much for sharing this story with our community. I know they're going to love it. I know they're going to be as obsessed with you as I am. But it's really special that you wanted to share this.
Speaker 4: Hi. Thank you. I love the show and I'm so happy to share. And I like one of my goals is to empower other women.
Speaker 2: You're doing that, you're winning, so.
Speaker 4: I want them. If anyone wants to talk to me about being your money and developing your career, there I'm always up to it and I'm in the group.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I love that. All right. Well, if anyone wants to talk to our money Direst, shoot me a message and alah hook the two of you up.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 2: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine and She's All the Money are authorized representatives of money sirper P T Y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine