Speaker 1: Hi Heart Podcasts, hear more Kiss Podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: A good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 1: Bady, what our windows down?
Speaker 3: That's my world? Risen the dust only good fab, Doug all down.
Speaker 4: I've don't much, but yeah I'm not our big get and what a lot?
Speaker 3: It don't matter where.
Speaker 1: This is the pickup, Hi, guys, Happy Friday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Everyone, end of the week. It's the Pickup with Brett Hockeley and Laura Burn.
Speaker 4: Okay, can we just talk about something that is so crazy? Laura, now, no, it is. I'm losing sleep about it. You know, the series on stand alone it's the best. Yeah, well, the new season's come out.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it yet, but you guys have been talking about it NonStop and I will go homes after in the watch it.
Speaker 2: Producer Grace is like a mega fan.
Speaker 4: But it's like it's always been cold, like it's and when I say cold, like cold locations and cold.
Speaker 2: But this year they are doing it in South Africa, which seems unfathomable to me, Like to think.
Speaker 4: Of the idea They're going to be thrown into the wilderness where there's things like lions and buffalo and hippopotamuses, and.
Speaker 1: So if you've watched the last few pot of My hippopot of if you've watched the last few seasons of Alone, normally, I think it's in Canada somewhere, and they have to get all their like structures built before like the dead of winter hits and catch the like. There is no person that's ever been to South Africa that would feel comfortable just being out there in the wilderness with the lions hanging out in a ten with.
Speaker 4: Like an arrow.
Speaker 2: Sorry, what's a bow and arrow going to do?
Speaker 1: Apparently though, so episode one has already dropped. The second episode dropped today like at lunchtime. But apparently in the first episode there was a woman who already.
Speaker 3: Caught a wart hog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she's just eaten bacon living large at the time of the last year.
Speaker 4: She caught it with like a bowl and arrow. They're actually crazy. I could not do it. I'd be day one.
Speaker 2: No, you'd be dead, but I'd be riding an elephant out of their day one.
Speaker 3: Brittany sitting up in a tree with a cheetah. That's the end of Brittany Brockley. Oh sorry, I think we were just hanging out with it.
Speaker 2: I was like, that sounds fun.
Speaker 1: Well, guys, you going to watch it the brand new season alone. It's available and exclusively on stan and the episodes are dropping every Friday one pm. Now we have the most amazing woman on the line and I'm calling it now.
Speaker 3: I'm saying next contender for Australia of the Year. I reckon too, absolutely and if not, we're going to submit at ourselves for her.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Her name is Brook Macintosh and Brook is halfway through running fourteen thousand kilometers solo around the entire country. That is two marathons a day, every single day, for one hundred and eighty days.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Now it's either crazy or brilliant, or probably both because I can't even run a kilometer without stopping.
Speaker 3: So this is really something impressive.
Speaker 1: But also Brook is aiming to raise one point four million for suicide prevention through the Blue Tree Project, which she needs all of Australia to get behind her. I know that there's been a couple of male runners over the last year that have made it through the media and have been you know, people have spoke about the quite amazing feats that they've done in running, but I do think some of the things that Brook has had to face as a woman doing this across the country is something that is unfathomable.
Speaker 3: Brook, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a massive feat just wrapped up seven thousand kilometers and your ladies wouldn't believe it. But I've been doing a few detours and I've actually added an extra five hundred kilometers.
Speaker 4: But why yeah, No, it is truly incredible and I cannot fad them doing two marathons a day. I did one half marathon once and I just thought I deserved a medal.
Speaker 2: I was like, wow, this is incredible.
Speaker 4: Tell us why you're doing this, Like what happened in your life that you thought I'm just going to go run around Australia and raise millions of dollars.
Speaker 6: There is so much to unpack there. But in August twenty twenty two, I was going through the depths of suicidal ideation myself, and the week that I was actually wanting to take my own life, I was actually involved in a massive high speed car accident and it was through the healing and the recovery of that process that I realized that I didn't want to die. I just wanted my internal pain to end. Had me on a path of having just one more conversation, and I was working five all at the time. So I went back to site and I opened up about my mental struggles with the guys on site and it was actually a permission slit for them to start having more conversations. And by me doing that, I received so many thanks and gratitudes for opening up. And in August twenty twenty three, I ran sixteen hundred kilometers top of Wa to bottom of Wa to raise awareness of mental health. And when I finished, I was like, oh am I stopping here. There's still so much more of Australia that need to hear this message. So now I talk the Queens lamb Brooka.
Speaker 1: You're incredible, honestly, I mean, I can only imagine how taxing this has been on your body. How are you feeling at the moment, and what's been the effects on your body so far?
Speaker 6: The first four weeks of this run was pretty horrendous, Like my body was just adjusting to what was happening. But now my body's pretty adjusted. I don't feel too many aches and pains, at the moment. But I'm also something else that we experience out here is our pms and our periods and all that. So I'm always battling that, not battling that, but that is a massive challenge every single month. On like the week leading up to that, I'm like, all right, cool, you've got to tap her a little bit and then you can go full again for three and a half weeks. Yes, that's been a huge adjustment.
Speaker 1: But also, like you know, you think there's been like people that ned Broklyn that people have been talking about who have done big runs and stuff. There's other factors that they don't have to think about, and that's a safety element. Like being a woman being out there running around Australia, there is so much more risk involved. How are you keeping yourself safe on this run?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So we do our run in smaller blocks, so I would run ten kilometers and then the caravan would be there quickly checking refuel of anything, and then I would run ten kilometers. I also carry like a safety SOS device on me and a two way radio as well, especially in the parts where we have nor reception, just so I know I can always get a hold of the guys.
Speaker 2: What do you want people to know?
Speaker 4: Like, now, you've got so many people listening to you, You've got so many people following your journey, and I hope these conversations you know more people are following your journey. What do you want to say to people that might be feeling what you were feeling a few years ago?
Speaker 6: My biggest message is there's two parts. It's one to have just one more conversation and it's to speak up. But before we do that, we need to build the courage inside of ourselves to be able to do that. So my biggest message is to have courage to have just one more conversation, And on the flip side of that is to have courage to call out BS behavior because I believe it's the best behavior that happens in society that sends people down the society. About this spiral of suicidal ideation depression anxiety PTSD.
Speaker 1: I mean you've said it here in your mantrad just one more breath, just one more day, and just one more conversation, Brook, How can people get behind you because there's so many Australians listening right now and what you're doing is absolutely phenomenal. How can we all help you get behind you and raise more money.
Speaker 6: It's sharing the message, sharing the cause and donating to the cause. By googling just One more Brook, you'll be able to find our donations link. And also we've been really encouraging people to hold their own fundraisers in their own communities and then donating the funds raised directly to the course.
Speaker 1: Can people follow where you're at in your journey? How can people you know specifically if you're coming through a town that might be near them, or you're in an area around Australia.
Speaker 3: How can people see where you're at?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I love runners coming out to run with me. That keeps me going and it's such a forest gump moment whenever that happens. So we post all the time on our Instagram. Instagram's the main one that we're on. Inside our channel, we post the towns that were coming through that day. But we've done a huge part of Australia right now. So now we've got the top end of Queensland and then Northern Territory and western Aushrelias, Go Brook, what is.
Speaker 2: Your Instagram now? So people can go and find you right now?
Speaker 4: Follow along and any runner wherever you are, go and join our in her efforts.
Speaker 6: Brook Macintosh double underscore.
Speaker 3: Oh you're amazing, honey.
Speaker 1: Well done, and like we said, I reckon you're a very strong contender for Australia the un next year. It's just crazy what you've done. You should be so proud of yourself, and so was Australia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we need more women like you Australia. Go and get behind Brooke. Hey, Laura, I got an update from a friend today about something that happened that I realized I never told you about.
Speaker 2: But it's so funny. So I recently got married nearly.
Speaker 4: Two weeks ago now, but the week before that, my husband Ben and I were over seas in Italy at his best friend's wedding.
Speaker 1: I did see this. You're wearing a red dress the internet. Well, Deli Mail had a real field day with it.
Speaker 2: Oh actually I didn't tell you that part too.
Speaker 4: I wore a bright red dress right, it's a Tuscan summary wedding.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 4: You can wear red dresses to weddings, but apparently you can't wear them to certain European weddings.
Speaker 2: I did not know this, But when you wear a red.
Speaker 4: Dress to certain countries in Europe's wedding, it's a statement of saying that you've slept with the groom I need is it?
Speaker 3: Yup? Yup?
Speaker 2: They told me that. No, they told me that after the and I was mortified.
Speaker 4: I was like, I just like flurried around that wedding in my red dress everyone there because they're all European.
Speaker 3: So was that in the area that the wedding was? Was it? I don't know, I see like you said to certain parts of Europe.
Speaker 4: Like well, I asked the bride recently. I went back to her and I just double checked. I said, look, do I need to clear something up? I have not slept with your husband and I and she's like no, that's like an old thing for different places.
Speaker 2: So that was fine, that's not even the stories.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 4: So at their wedding, they've had their wedding rings for like eighteen months to two years.
Speaker 2: They've been engaged for quite a while.
Speaker 4: The husband has gone to get his rings and get everything ready for the day, and he realized he had put them on the bedside table the night before, went back to find them gone, absolutely gone.
Speaker 2: This wedding ring.
Speaker 4: That he's getting married in like eight to twelve hours. He's had it for two years missing. So he goes and finds his future wife and he's like, hey, did you clean up? Did you move anything? She's like absolutely not. What are you missing?
Speaker 2: He had to tell her that. He's like, well, my wedding ring.
Speaker 4: So they go to their son, their two year old son, and they're like, where.
Speaker 2: Did you put it?
Speaker 3: Did you you know?
Speaker 4: He's too did you take something here? It's golden shiny, Like, where did you take it? He's just laughing running away. Anyway, They've searched the house. They had every person there that was working there. Everyone like turned it upside down.
Speaker 1: I think most parents are gonna obviously not wedding ring related, but your kids take things and you lose it all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, keys in.
Speaker 1: Bins, keys in toilets, yeap rings in gardens like kids just there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't leave it lying around.
Speaker 4: He's blamed his son, right, like he's deflected to blame. He's a two year old son, nothing to do with me, Like he should know better, so.
Speaker 3: He should not know where he's too.
Speaker 4: The wedding goes ahead and he has to get married with like a sports ring, like a like a whoop thing.
Speaker 2: You don't have the whoop ring? Has it?
Speaker 4: Just like so it's just this big thick not that great looking gold.
Speaker 3: You're not taking wedding photos of that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we laughed, we laughed, we laughed.
Speaker 4: He got into big trouble with his partner that you know, he's blamed his son. Anyway, flash forward a week later to our wedding. He still is wearing his ring, that's the sports ring. Anyway, he puts his hand in his pocket. What do you think he finds his pocket.
Speaker 1: No, because he was wearing the same suit that he wears suit pants.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it was in his pocket.
Speaker 4: He had it in his own pocket the entire time, gets married with like a gold sports band blames.
Speaker 1: You're so mad at your husband. You'd be like, you had one thing to do and you manage to lose the ring, and then you blame the two years off, But then it was on your being the whole time. I feel like the model in this is that, I mean, firstly, he's the liability, but you can get away with blaming things on your kids for a while. We're at a phase at the moment, so Lola thinks farts are really funny.
Speaker 3: Lola's four. She thinks farts are hilarious.
Speaker 1: So if anyone has farted, all you have to say is that Lola did it, and she'll go, yeah, it did, and then she takes it. She loves it, she'll claim it.
Speaker 3: Then you're off. Scott Free's so we do it in our household to bring her over to my house. I'll use it.
Speaker 1: We've been on a real discovery journey today. We've learned a few things about each other in this team. So there's a New Zealand show that was talking about the concept of how you read books.
Speaker 3: So hear me out.
Speaker 1: When you read a book in your head like you're you know, you sit down at the end of your day and you have your favorite book and you're reading through the dialogue between different characters. Do you voice those characters in different ways or do you just read a book like you're reading a normal piece of paper.
Speaker 3: Have a listen to this.
Speaker 5: My husband Aunt and I were lying in bed reading our books and I said to Art, oh, this book is taking me ages because it's set in Scotland. And Art was like sorry, and I was like, oh, well, it's tricky for me to do a Scottish accent, and I didn't realize that that is perhaps an abnormal.
Speaker 3: Thing to do.
Speaker 5: So when I'm reading, I'm doing the voices in my head and the accents.
Speaker 3: It's like a narrat Okay.
Speaker 1: So we discovered that our very own Brittany Hockley also does the same thing, which is just utterly insane, not weird.
Speaker 2: It's not weird, mind you, mine's exactly.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 4: My favorite book series ever, there's six books in the series, is.
Speaker 2: Called Outlander by Diana Givalden.
Speaker 4: It's been mental TV show, but it is set in the Scottish Highlands.
Speaker 2: It took me years to read those books, mainly because there's a the six thick books.
Speaker 4: B it's Scottish, you have to do the Scottish accent.
Speaker 1: In the Scottish or is it in English? But therefore, because it's not, it's.
Speaker 4: Set in Scotland, and it's a lot of it's set in what they call the Gaelic, which is like the language back in Scotland. And a lot of it is written because it's set in the seventeen hundred, so a lot of it's written in different kind of English, like a really old school English, and I read it in my head how it is set and how it would be like.
Speaker 2: Oh, lass, I read it like that. I do. That's what I do.
Speaker 3: Okay, but we little. But that's a very specific example.
Speaker 1: What if you're just reading, like a romance novel that's got, you know, a guy and a girl in it. Do you read like as in your head, does the male voice have a male sound and the female voice isn't it?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 3: Do you create characters?
Speaker 4: I think I'm more more so than male female. I'm more accents. So if someone has a French accent, I'm doing that in my head like I'm you want to gossolt like whatever, I do it like who? I don't know, but that's how. That's how my brain works.
Speaker 1: I just read it like I'm reading any piece of paper boy nothing, it makes no difference.
Speaker 3: I'm just efficiency.
Speaker 1: I'm in there, I'm out like, I know it's the guy speaking, I know it's the girls. My brain doesn't need the character rehearsal.
Speaker 4: You need to read for the imagination where it transports you, where it takes you. You want to have all your senses. You don't want to read like you're reading a dictionary.
Speaker 3: Well, this is like this is the other thing.
Speaker 1: This debate or like question came up quite a few weeks ago. But do you have an internal monologue? Was the other one. So you know, I think a lot of people, as they're just getting about their day, they have a little voice inside their head, not a crazy one, just like the you know, the little voice that you hear that tells you what to do and talks to you as you're doing stuff. And mine is always talking to me. And then there are some people out there, a percentage of the population that just hears nothing.
Speaker 3: That's me. I don't believe your brain.
Speaker 2: I don't talk in my head much at all.
Speaker 3: Like I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't really have an internal monologue. I don't talk things through it. I don't really have a filter. But my husband Ben, we have quite a few arguments about the same thing, and that is him telling me he's told me something before, and we've we've broken it down a couple of days ago. Actually, he said, I say things in my head so many times, and that I've convinced I've said it out loud to you. And it's not until I've said I will put my life on this. You haven't told me that that he realizes he's only said it in his brain.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting here with my mouth open because he is actually shocking to me that people don't just talk in their own heads all the time. Mine is so noisy. Maybe that's enough, Loot, look at your.
Speaker 4: Life and look at what's around you right now and your internal brain.
Speaker 3: I need to be medicated.
Speaker 1: But I just feel like my brain is it's always going, and if it's not going, I'm like counting things.
Speaker 3: I'm doing all kinds of weird stuff just to keep my brain occupied.
Speaker 2: It's not that I.
Speaker 4: Can't do it, because some people are a step further. There are people that do it. There's people that don't do it, but there are some people that physically can't.
Speaker 2: They cannot must drop a voice in their brain.
Speaker 4: I can do it, and sometimes I will, like I'll roll my eyes in my brain, do you know what I mean? Like my brain will be like, wow, I can't believe she said that or whatever, not about you. Maybe it was about you, But.
Speaker 2: But my brain's not messy and chaotic like I'm not doing it. It's quite empty. I think I've told you that.
Speaker 1: Before, Gracie, you producer, Gracy, you what are you.
Speaker 3: Doing chaos thoughts?
Speaker 4: Constantly think I'm thinking, but the voice is going content.
Speaker 2: God, it's cod No, it's so relaxing to me.
Speaker 3: Wow, I would love to spend a day in your brain. Just tune out for a while. I find this utterly fascinating.
Speaker 1: Look, I mean, go and join the conversation on the pick up socials if you want to tell us if you have a constant internal monologue, maybe you do a full dress rehearsal for when you're reading books and everyone's got an accent in it and a special voice.
Speaker 3: And like to know because I feel like we all do this very differently.
Speaker 2: You should see how I read Harry Potter.
Speaker 3: That was a wild ride. Alright, well, guys, we're out of here.