Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money. She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to She's on them the podcast some millennials who want financial freedom and the end of the year to happen literally right now today, my friends, it is Friday, and it is the last Friday of the year that I am going to be getting my little team together to talk about you our incredible She's on the Money community today. Mis j just gried she is going to be sharing her favorite money wins. Beck say ed, over this side of the table, you've got our three broke tips to share with us. We've got a juicy money Dilemma. As always, this week we're going to be talking all about getting started with shares, and we're gonna be unpacking something you slid into our DMS about. So this week we're talking about friends who borrow money a little bit spicy. But I have also been told that when we get to the end of this episode, our producers Sam and Lisa have cut together what they're calling bloopers from the year that has been scary.
Speaker 4: It's my favorite things that they did last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, but like I was mortified. I was like, that's not that's that's literally just showing everybody who I really am.
Speaker 5: We're not safe.
Speaker 2: We are not saying nobody is safe. Anything said in the studio does apparently not stay in the studio. So we have a bloops reel to share with you at the very end of these episodes, So guys, don't go anywhere, or if you're really bored already just skipped to the end. But before we get there, my loves, how has your week been? It is the last week of twenty twenty three. Beck enjoying it? Not enjoying it? Where are we at? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Really enjoying it? I just got back from Sydney. Saw the family.
Speaker 2: Oh how good is family?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: It was really lovely and I drove there, didn't fly because you know, you guys know I hate flying. Yes, and so it was just like a beautiful, therapeutic eight and a half hours on the same road, the whole away. But I really did enjoy it. And now I'm just chilling until the office opens back up again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's your go through road trip album? Because that's like a you've got eight hours? What do you like?
Speaker 5: Totally I'm big podcast up. Obviously I'll listen to She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: You're quite literally a podcasting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But what I try and do is sit in silence for as long as possible. Really, I do do that. I do because like, let's say, I can get through an hour and a half and then when I start listening to something then it feels like, do you know, like I've not been myself, Like.
Speaker 2: I bore myself for one hour?
Speaker 4: Do you like talk to yourself in your hesh?
Speaker 5: I think about things. I think about things. I look around.
Speaker 2: At the same site You've seen every single time is driven to Sitney and back.
Speaker 5: They're still or inspiring, you know, there's something about an something about an open road in summer jest. You totally get it.
Speaker 4: But see, I would put on like a country like you do a country album.
Speaker 2: I would do either the Taylor Swift Eras to a set list, which I have been listening to on repeat on Spotify. I also read something recently. Do you know what I can't say? I read something recently that's a blatant lie, Jessica. I saw something on TikTok recently that makes sense. Story checks out more alright. Taylor Swift trained for her Eras tour by running on a treadmill while singing her entire Eras Tour set list. Wow, and I can't wait for people to start training for marathons that way.
Speaker 4: Honestly, if there was a way to get me to run, that would be Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can organize that, jess No worries. I know you've already got a walking pat in your house. Halfway there, but I'd either listen to that or we'd just be listening to really gruesome murders the entire way there.
Speaker 4: I'll be in a different car.
Speaker 2: You don't know what you're missing, Jessica.
Speaker 5: Actually, I'm also not a true crime person.
Speaker 2: But anyway, no, no, please, you are not my people, no misteressic. How has your week being good?
Speaker 4: Just been relaxing, eating gingerbread, eating lots and lots of gingerbread. I went boxing day shopping, snagged some deals we love that, just kind of taking the break because we only have a little quick one just to enjoy it. Be aro od friends, go to the beach, chill out, lovely good things. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to eat this blueberry muffin because I definitely haven't had enough food over this festive season. I went down to the beach to spend some time with my family. My parents are down there, my sister came down. I've been hanging out with my husband. We're kind of like in that, I don't know, we're waiting for a baby to arrive. They're coming in February, at the end of February, we think, So that's kind of it's just a bit weird. I feel like we're in limbo. We're planning for a baby. I'm uncomfortable. I'm not having the best time in the heat. I'm really puffy, like all of those things. Really grateful obviously, like every pregnant person. We're all grateful for it, but like, guys, I'm not gonna.
Speaker 4: Lie pregnancy sucks.
Speaker 2: Which one of you was gonna be like, Oh, by the way, here's a laundry list of symptoms you're definitely gonna get and like it's not fun. So I feel like I can be grateful for being pregnant obviously cannot wait for this baby to arrive, but also cannot wait to not be pregnant.
Speaker 6: You're a beach ball.
Speaker 2: If anyone ever tries to tell me ever again like pregnancy is magical, I'm gonna be like, you're a liar, A dirty liar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that seems fair.
Speaker 2: I just don't know how anyone enjoys this anyway. Let's get into the episode, Miss Jess Gricci, What have you got when it comes to community money, wins and confessions?
Speaker 4: First one is a little bit niche, but it comes from Emma and she said money win. Late October, I received an email from my payroll saying I owed them over three grand as I was overpaid on my birth leave. My child is now almost two.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 4: It didn't seem right to me, so I went back and checked all my payslips and requested that they double checked by doing a full audit, which they did. Fight this week they email me to say, actually, you don't have an overpayment at all. We actually owe you two hundred dollars as we underpaid you. And also, by the way, we didn't pay you forty five hundred dollars into super. Well you're on birth leave.
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, excuse me.
Speaker 2: She said.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy I stood my ground and didn't just agree to pay it back. That is a big mistake.
Speaker 2: That is not just a big mistake, that's embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they sneaky double check you or receipts always people.
Speaker 2: That gives me the ick for that employer.
Speaker 5: Totally.
Speaker 2: Really, if I did that to you, Jess, would you like try and leave? Because I would.
Speaker 4: I think I'd be going. You work for finance company.
Speaker 2: Extra embarrassing for me. Oh my god. Imagine if I've messed up like my super or my taxes or something.
Speaker 4: Embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Outsource it, guys, it's outsource it so I can blame other people. Next, I've got a money win from Sue who said I paid for a normal entry ticket to a festival on the weekend, but somehow I ended up with a VIP ticket around my wrist.
Speaker 4: Love us.
Speaker 2: She didn't didn't tell us how that happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe they just gave her the wrong one.
Speaker 5: And she was like, would you say something? No, you would.
Speaker 4: Would exactly, not in a situation where they're not losing out. Do you know if I went to the shops and they didn't scan something through, then probably company, I supparent.
Speaker 2: And then there's me calling over the attendant of the calls check out the I'm like, so this didn't go through that, like when I put it in, like it didn't change the measurement. Could you just like, oh, scan it in? Because now I'm anxious And they're just like, you should have stolen it. Everybody else steals it.
Speaker 5: That's cute.
Speaker 4: Well, I have a good win to come actually on that theme, but firstly one from Shay who said money win. I opted out of capitalism for Christmas. I didn't spend money to travel to see people that made me miserable. I didn't spend money on stuff people don't need or want out of obligation or guilt. And I didn't spend money or my health on booze that would be used to cope with dealing with family drama.
Speaker 5: Amazing, weeen we love to see it.
Speaker 2: Also, just because they labeled as family doesn't mean you have to spend any time with them. If they don't nourish you, bye, absolutely completely cut them out.
Speaker 4: Next, Skyly said, I bought a twenty four pack of Huggies nappy pants usually twenty two dollars using a discount on door dash, and only paid eighteen dollars.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good, that's a money win, already a win.
Speaker 4: But it gets better because they were out of stock, so they substituted it for a pack of forty eight. Who saved twenty one bucks and I didn't even have to go to the shops.
Speaker 2: As someone has recently been buying nappies. That stuff is wild. Actually, side note, can I play a little game with you too?
Speaker 4: Oh please?
Speaker 2: I've been planning for a baby, and as you guys know, I'm a spreadsheet girly. I'm going to need to know how many nappies and newborn news is each and every single day, and I'm probably gonna put it in a spreadsheet calculate how many nappies I need at what size and when and where and how much do nappies cost and what is the best price that I could potentially get. So the real question here is goes how many nappies does a newborn news each and every single day?
Speaker 5: My gut says like six, Yeah, my gut says four. Four?
Speaker 2: You reckon, Well it's actually nine or ten. So you're using sixty plus nappies a week? Who when you have a newborn. And I was like, nah, that math can't be right. So I call one of my midwife friends and I was like, hey, just wondering, like, you know, trying to plan one. They will like just buy a I could have nappis and buy another packet when you start to run out. And it's like, well that seems quite logical. I want to do the maths. I want to work out what these nappie's going to cost me. Yep, And it's nine or ten a day. It goes down as they start to be able to like control themselves a little bit better.
Speaker 5: But like, sure, what do you.
Speaker 2: Mean ten a day?
Speaker 5: That is excess. That's a lot. That's a lot of.
Speaker 4: Nappies so many ways, And you wonder she was so excited that she got them for half the price.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, because you just go through them, and then it makes me think about like landfill and whether they're biodegradable or not, and whether I should be doing a cloth nappy parenting thing, and then I have to manage my entire life around clock. I just it's a lot, is a lot.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Anyway, carry on, Jess, what else have you got?
Speaker 4: I've got a win from Ashley, who said I was in need of a gift idea, so I decorated a mug with polymer clay and I kept one as a gift to myself and she put a.
Speaker 2: Cute that's so cute.
Speaker 5: That's so I love it.
Speaker 4: And then lastly I have a wind from Beck. He said I went to buy two meters of fabric at Spotlight and they tried putting it through and the girl said, it appears we don't sell this, just take it.
Speaker 5: Wow, that is so cool.
Speaker 2: Her boss is like, I saw now sing, no.
Speaker 4: We don't know what happened.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 4: That's everything I got.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think that that is a very good wrap. Miss Beck sayed, what broke tips have you got for us? Like the last three of the year, you're feeling the pressure to make these really good.
Speaker 5: A little bit trujular.
Speaker 2: She doesn't care look at her face. She's like, no v all my stuff is good.
Speaker 5: Also, I'm very organized, So I think, I think, I feel.
Speaker 4: Okay, you've never let us down before.
Speaker 5: Thank you. That's so nice. You need happen.
Speaker 2: So ten out of ten, what's your first broke tip of the week?
Speaker 5: Okay, so this first broke tip is maybe more of a life hack, but also definitely a money saver. So this one's from Emma, who says that what she does basically is on melk prep days she bulk a bunch of brown rice, white rice, whatever it is. It turns out to be a lot cheaper than say, buying like a one kilo bag every now and then, usually not using it all. If you end up leaving in the back of the pantry, like one of those big ones. There's really big ones, you know, there's ten kilo ones.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I don't need ten kilos of cooked rice.
Speaker 5: You just got a bolt cook it all, freeze it. It lasts forever.
Speaker 4: Where do you put it though?
Speaker 2: I mean I didn't freeze, o, Jessica, that's where you freeze.
Speaker 5: True, you don't have to cook the whole ten I was gonna.
Speaker 4: Say, a picture you trying to get ten killed, like that whole big ass sax worth of rice into your face.
Speaker 2: So I think a life wind would be just like maybe cook like one kilo of it, and I would say, probably don't freeze it all together either, like you know, individually glad wrap the packets she gets.
Speaker 5: Send the photos all individually glad wrapped, which is great because I feel like, even when we're cooking rice, we over estimate how much we need end up chucking the rest out.
Speaker 2: But you can freeze rice. You can you don't need to chuck it out.
Speaker 5: But often you'll be like using the chicken curry spoon in the rice and you're like, ah, it looks a bit gross, let's just chuck it out anyway, not gross if it's definitely not gross. But I feel like when you you know, when you're just doing that for per meal, yeah, you end up just chucking it out. So bolt cooking a bunch of rice, it's very feeling. It'll you'll need in times of need when.
Speaker 2: You're just way cheaper than buying that pre prepared microwave rice. You're basically making your own microwave rice much cheaper because one you don't have to pay it, but two you're probably going to put it in the microwave any way to reheat it, So what's the problem.
Speaker 5: Totally better for the environment as well.
Speaker 2: Love it, money win, life win.
Speaker 5: I like that one absolutely. This next one comes from Alex who recently moved and had a lot of kind of like half used toiletrees, some were full, but ones that she wanted to donate. Unfortunately, you can't really donate toiletrees due to hygiene reasons and other things once they've been used. That's true, but this is also kind of just we're talking about this maybe last it might have been last week or maybe a couple weeks ago, where she kind of set up this thing with her friends where it's like a toiletry swap. So when we were talking about this a couple of weeks ago, we were saying, like a skill swap of sorts. So you could do this with really anything with your friends, if you're moving, if you've got a bunch of little things that you need to declutter, just make it a thing in your friendship group if you have one, or in your community Facebook group or wherever just try and set up a little yeah, toiletry swap little things like that. She also says that this is really honestly helpful for some if you're ever running low on toilet tries. Hotels and hostels have stacks of abandoned ones in lost property, so that is also an option if you're, like, literally for someone maybe doing it tough living on the street, go to a hotel, go to a hostel and see if they have anything in lost property. They probably even have clothes and stuff in there that you could maybe take. But that's something I'd never really thought of before, lost property.
Speaker 4: From going to landfill or something like that.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, absolutely so smart.
Speaker 2: When you say, like a toilet tree swap, I laugh a little bit because that was from Alex, and my little sister's name is Alex, and like, I think my little sister's version of a toilet tree swap is coming into my house, opening my skin tap and going I'll take this, this and this, and I just really want to try this to be and then all of my stuff goes. There's no swapping, there's just taking, but it's all my half opened product that I might actually be enjoying. But she thinks she'd enjoy more.
Speaker 5: Yes, of course. Oh well that's a money win for her.
Speaker 2: That's a little sister win, I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that. Okay, So my broke tip is I probably should have mentioned this last week because it's almost the summer's almost over. But basically, this summer.
Speaker 2: What are you doing? You gatekeeping? I know I kind of gave all people on the show to gatekeep.
Speaker 5: It's you. I don't believe it. I never saw this in my life.
Speaker 2: I didn't see this coming either. We're gonna have to talk.
Speaker 5: No, well it's not too late because holy moly, Struke Bowling and Archie Brothers are all offering ten dollar games and she beats over the summer.
Speaker 2: Oh that's kind of cool. Yeah, if you have cute date.
Speaker 5: It's a cute date, it's cheap date. You can take your friends, you can take your family, maybef you have little kids and you don't want to be blowing the budget over the school holiday.
Speaker 2: Also, maybe want air conditioned space to do something for a while if you don't have aircon at home.
Speaker 5: Exactly right, exactly right. So yeah, take advantage of that. I think I might.
Speaker 2: You think you might thin you're going to go bowling. I haven't been bowling in here, you know. Oh I think, actually, Jess, Yeah, exactly what I was going to say. Oh, that was messy.
Speaker 5: Let's not talk about it. I don't need to hear about this off air.
Speaker 2: We went to bowling, but it was bowling in a bar. Dangerous, Yeah, very dangerous. None of us are very good at bowling. So we were there for the festivities.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very much.
Speaker 2: So well, I love those. Let's go to a really quick break on the flip side. We're going to be talking about getting started with shares. We've got a spicy DM about friends who borrow money, and the countdown to the bloops is on. I'm really scared, but also kind of excited to hear how many times I've messed up on the podcast or said things maybe I shouldn't have. So don't go anywhere, guys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, guys. Let's take a listen to the Money Dilemma.
Speaker 2: Hi. There, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The Sheese on the Money Team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved. Simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hey guys, I'm made thirty five year old female with a little bit of surplus money and I'm wanting to explore perhaps purchasing shares EFTs, don't know what they are. Would love your advice on where to get started, and really just basic knowledge that we should have as women to get into the final market.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh well, hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast Millennials who want Financial Freedom. So we have five hundred plus episodes of I would say financially, some of it's questionable. The Friday episodes, you might want to give a little bit of a skip if you're not too interested in what we call our personalities. But on Wednesday, we do what we call a deep dive, and each and every single deep dive, the entire purpose of that episode is to educate you on a topic that maybe you haven't discussed before, or maybe a topic that you have seen before, but no one's ever broken it down in a way that actually made sense to you. And spoke to you in a way where we're peers having a chat. You're not silly for not knowing this stuff, You've just never learned it before. I'm excited because I can answer this so quickly and so easily. My friend, we did an entire investing series with our friends from Charez's recently and even the year before. So if you're interested in learning about share or ETFs, what I would do is key into your podcasting app. Any podcasting app does the job, and I would key in she's on the money shares or She's on the money ETFs, and an episode that is directly related to that topic is going to come up. I'm a little bit biased. If I were you, I would really start at the beginning of our podcast because the way that we've structured it is really so that you can kind of build those foundations. And now we're nearly five years in. Isn't that wild? Nearly five years of content in, But we've kind of leveled up the content in a way where sometimes you do have to go back to basics and listen to a couple of the older episodes to go, let me collect all of these basic foundations that I need to create my financial literacy toolkit and then build from there. But excitingly, the team and I sat down a couple of weeks before Christmas and jess, what do I make you do?
Speaker 5: We put together a spreadsheet?
Speaker 4: Is anyone?
Speaker 2: No one is surprised? But what was in the spreadsheet?
Speaker 4: All year's worth of content?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the reason we did that was because I just said, look, I'm obviously having a baby this year. We obviously already put lots of thought, energy and effort into the content that we create. But I was like, what did we do like five years ago that might have changed? Like let's review that. Okay, we've got, you know, an investing series that we're doing in twenty twenty four. All right, we know that we wanted to build on one another. So if you went and just listened to those investing episodes, you get like a juicy amount of knowledge that kind of builds on each other. I didn't want to be in a position where, you know, five years in you would think that content might get repetitive. I am also surprised guys that we still have so many topics we haven't tackled. But I just wanted to make sure that we were nailing it, and if we had already done it, we went back and we checked the episode and said, is this outdated? Do we need to update it? You know, is there anything that has changed? And in the world of investing, so much has changed. So I'm excited for I guess the structure of next year to roll out, because it's basically going to be a here's an investing guide, here's a savings guide, here's this, that and the other, and we're really keen. So from my very very biased perspective, I would be starting with our content. There's obviously a heap of other podcasts you can listen to Girls that Invest My Millennial Money are two of our friends of the show that we know and love. There's also a whole heap of investing books out there. I obviously already have three books, guys, It's going to be five in twenty twenty four because having a baby, it's just not enough for one year. So I'm going to be releasing a book in May and then another book in November, which is very very exciting. But also all of our friends have finance books as well, and if you just go into any bookshop, the finance section have a look, read the blurbs on the back, find one that resonates with you, because to me, that's the most important thing is that you're learning from someone who talks to you in a tone of voice that you enjoy, because otherwise you're not going to listen, you're not going to engage with it. So that is my advice. Do you guys have ourthing to add to that? Because I've just basically done a sales pitch on the She's on the Money podcast for you to listen to the She's on the Money podcast.
Speaker 4: I think you've had it. I was just gonna say, if you want to get the investing the shoes in the Money book, we'll popplelink in the show notes to make it easy for you.
Speaker 5: Smart lovely, Yes, credit we do.
Speaker 4: I've got your girls.
Speaker 5: And for me, I was going to basically say the same thing as Ve. I think that you do a really good job of covering basics and also intermediate and also advanced. So yeah, go back and have a little listen.
Speaker 2: Go back and have a listen. Also, thanks for the listens. Love you guys. Let's move into the next part of the show. This is the second last part of the show today because we've got to get to the bloops. But as always, you guys have slid into our dms about a spicy topic, which is friends who borrow money. So here is the DM my friends. Hello, she's on the money. I need advice, my friend, You're in the right place. We have advice, we have opinions. We're going to have a little bit of trauma. One of my best friends always asks me to borrow money. It used to be like twenty bucks here and there, but lately she's asking for more than one hundred dollars at a time, saying she desperately needs it to pay rent, she doesn't have a job, and that I'm the only person she can turn to for help. I do feel bad, and she has a really fractured relationship with her parents, so living at home is not an option. In the past, I've mentioned I feel really uncomfortable her asking me for money, yet I always seem to give it to her because I am guilted into it. In brackets with a face palm emoji. I've even suggested that I can help her get a job and assist with her applications, but she always declients. Not long ago, we went out for dinner and where the bill came. She didn't have any money to pay. She said she didn't want to let me down and was embarrassed to say she couldn't afford it, so came anyway. I obviously had to pay for the entire thing. I need this to stop, but also want to be sensitive with her, as I know she's currently struggling. What do I do.
Speaker 5: She didn't mention if the friend pays it back at her in a reasonable time, which I know is not the really the point, but.
Speaker 2: A little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 4: There's a big difference between a friend who borrows money all the time but will get it back to you when I can add a friend who borrows money and doesn't pay back.
Speaker 5: And doesn't pay back. And I'm wondering she's not employed. Maybe she does have other income and can pay it back, But personally, I really want that information because I'm thinking of me and my best friend Olivia, who I.
Speaker 2: Always I'm going to nickname her money bags.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I literally always borrow money from her, but I also paid back quickly, and we have like a sibling relationship where it's not awkward to say no to each other. So I think that's different in a way. But I'm still kind of like listening to this and just wondering what the dynamics like. Yeah, and is she too uncomfortable to say a firm no, a staunch no. It is awkward. Your friend is obviously struggling, but that's not your responsibility. Yeah, this person seems like a really good friend, Like.
Speaker 2: I can tell that they're a good friend by the way that it's written. Yeah, because they obviously are worried about them struggling. They don't really want to say no, but they're also like, I can't keep doing this. I've had enough of this, like it needs to end. But they also don't want to, like say a firm no, because if they say a firm no, it might be like a line in the sand with the relationship, and clearly they don't want to draw that line. Yeah, it's really really hard, Jess, what would you do?
Speaker 4: I think it's hard because it's one of those things where to me, it sounds like her friend is going to be reliant on this until she no longer can be, So I wonder if cutting it off is in a way to benefit the friend as well, like to be like you can't rely on me for these things, particularly with the dinner for example, It's not as if your friend is saying, hey, I need money to pay my rent or I'm going to be homeless, Like your friend did not need to come out to dinner with everybody, And I understand that she was embarrassed, But there are ways that you can tackle it and approach it, and I think any friend be understanding of the fact that you can't afford to do it. So I feel like perhaps if our listener was to draw the line in the sand, it might in a way kind of help your friend to have to let you know it's fine or flying right, like I'm pushing you out of the nest. You can't, you gotta fly. You got to figure it out. But at the same time, I do feel like I have to flag that that has the potential to be volatile, and it has the potential for your friend to react emotionally and be really upset. So it's something I think that you do have to be prepared for that if that's what you want to do. But I completely agree with our listener. If I was in that situation where I wasn't comfortable lending to a friend and I had expressed that and they weren't being respectful of that. I would find that upsetting. It's a totally different thing, like you were saying in your example with.
Speaker 2: You and Live.
Speaker 4: You know, if she's happy to do it and she knows you're going to pay it back and everyone's fine, then there's no reason to not behave that way. But particularly I think the fact that she is expressed to her friend that she's uncomfortable and they're continuing to do it. An That's what I don't really like because normally in this situation, i'd say, oh, like talk to your friends, like let them know how you're feeling, blah blah blah. But it sounds like she's done that and their friends not changing the behavior, And I think that that is really disrespectful and unkind, particularly when it comes to luxuries not necessities.
Speaker 2: Yeap, Yeah, like going out for dinner.
Speaker 4: You don't need to go out for dinner, babe.
Speaker 2: So I was really empathetic of the story, like and of the question. I was like, this really sucks, like we're in the middle of a cost of living crisis. Like I totally get it. You know, we don't know why her friend doesn't have a job. There could be really valid reason as to why she doesn't have a job. There are six million I could come up with on the spot as to why she can't work at the moment, and that's fine. I'm assuming that there's not like a massive issue with not working. Given the friend has suggested, oh, I can help you with the applications, Jess, like I could feel them in and you know, help you along that process. I'm assuming that there's nothing that you're aware of, that is all. I don't want to say. Fine, but like you're letting them get away with it, Okay. I think it's taking it a step too far when you're going out for dinner and just expecting the other person to pay. I feel like you're then in a position where you're being taken advantage. It's crazy to me. I think it's really rude. Like honestly, like, obviously money is fickle and all of that, but like, yeah, okay, you were embarrassed. You know, it's more embarrassing putting your other friend on the spot and being like, well, now they're okay, I don't have any cash. You're gonna have to cough up two times the amount you thought you were going to have to for dinner. Now like what if I'd only budgeted enough for one, Like now you're putting that burden on your friend and expecting that to be okay, Like I get embarrassment exists, Like please, don't get me wrong. We've spoken so many times on the show about how you know, in theory you should just say no. But then there's me who also I'm a people pleaser. Yes, you're also people pleaser. Like I know that if I asked Jess to brow money, she'd be like, oh, that's really weird. Okay, now yeah, of course fee Like even if you know, but even if you didn't want to do it, because with just to night people pleaser is we would do it anyway. And I'm not saying that that's the right thing. But I also think that when it comes to money, we should just be honest about our thoughts and feelings and all of that kind of stuff. So I get it. I don't think I could say no to a friend because I do want to help. I'm that type of person that goes no, no, no, let me fix it, like I want to help. But at the same time, like then there's the line of like, hey, can I borrow one hundred dollars? Like I'm so sorry, I have to meet rent. Happening all the time, and you're going, oh, should becoming reliant on it becomes rude, It becomes entitled when you're then going out for dinner and just being like, oh, by the way back, can't pay? What are you doing?
Speaker 4: And if they can't work, I think there are so many other options, because again I agree with.
Speaker 2: Last month, you did your or this end of the month's really there, but you did your find one thousand dollars without finding a new job.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, And that's the thing is, like there is so many options if, as you were saying, not everyone can work, and that's totally valid, but even outside of government support, that is available selling stuff a Facebook market place, returning cans. I did surveys, do you know what I mean? Like, there are so many options that you can make enough money to get you buy Like even just doing surveys, I was making fifty bucks a week, one hundred bucks a week slay, which is just from your phone. And not everyone is going to want to dedicate or have the time to dedicate. But if you're in a spot where like I really genuinely don't have the money. I think there are options that you can explore, and is it going to pay you five thousand dollars a month? Obviously not. But if you just need money to get buy if you just need money to go to dinner, so you're not relying on your friend, there are definitely things that I think she could be exploring that aren't putting her friend in this position.
Speaker 2: Honestly borrowing money. I think it's a fickle topic because so many people are going to be opinionated on it. Some people will say absolutely not. I'm very much of the opinion I will lend money to friends, but I see it as a if they pay it back, nice, But it's you either get paid back or you lose a friendship. And like to me, I'm always like, okay, well here it is, but I'm never going to chase it. If that makes sense. Some people are completely for it, like Beck, you've got a friend where that relationship exists and it works. We can't argue with that, and that's absolutely fine. But again, money is inherently emotional. It's when it steps out of you know, being I'm so glad that I have this support I'm so glad. You know, I'm grateful to being entitled, and this feels like it's gone from being like I'm grateful to being entitled. If that started happening to me, I'd want to cut the friend off to It'd be like you are taking the absolute mickey. Get in the bin, yeah, hard agree, whatever else say, they go. The first question we asked was, do you think the friend is potentially taking advantage of this person? Ninety eight percent of you said yes. If this was you, would you end the friendship? Thirty percent of you said yes, I don't need that in my life, but seventy percent of you said no, I'd certainly set some boundaries though. If yes, what did you do when someone asked you to borrow money? Sixty six percent of you said I gave it back and they paid me back nice. Twenty percent of you said I gave it, but I wish I didn't because I never got it back, and fourteen percent of you said I said I wasn't in a position to lend to them. If you did lend money to a friend, we said how much? Thirty six percent of you said the most common amount to lend was ten to twenty bucks, Thirty five percent of you said fifty two hundred bucks, eighteen percent of you said two hundred to five hundred dollars, and twelve percent of you said more than one thousand dollars. Wow, that's so much money.
Speaker 4: That's the other thing is her friend's asking for one hundred bucks at a time. That's a lot.
Speaker 2: That's a lot.
Speaker 4: That's not a Hey, my card's not working. Can you spot my eight dollar latte?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it's an eight.
Speaker 4: Dollar nothing on nothing. Sorry, I'm taking eight dollar latte.
Speaker 2: Don't know where she's drinking.
Speaker 5: Not too shocking, I reckon.
Speaker 2: I spent on average like six seven dollars a yeah, not too far off for own non coffee drinking goal, which, by the way, suspiciously close, suspiciously close, and also like weird that you don't drink coffee. Maybe twenty twenty four be her year. Maybe maybe all these bad things keep happening to you because you don't drink coffee.
Speaker 3: That all right.
Speaker 2: We also said have you ever had to ask a friend to borrow money? Thirty four percent of you said yes, and sixty six percent of you said no.
Speaker 5: It's been nice.
Speaker 4: I feel like most people will have. I don't think they're asking to borrow money. Like I've definitely borrowed money off feet where I've been somewhere. It happened when we're oversea. I was like, my card's not working, and.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of funny.
Speaker 4: I already ordered the Starbucks, can you faine?
Speaker 2: It was kind of funny because she's so embarrassed and obviously I was like, yeah, like it's fine, but like it was the fumble at the register of her being like I only have my phone. Ah, I really had my phone?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, dress, Well, nothing is more stressful.
Speaker 4: It is, and I feel like an incidental borrow of money.
Speaker 2: So let's be honest. It wasn't even a latte. It was like a strawberry Assaye refresher and I'll.
Speaker 4: Stand by I'm pretty sure. But that is I think, vastly different to habitual burrowing, which is what this person is doing. And it just sounds like she doesn't respect our listener, which is not.
Speaker 2: Friendship is built on respect, and right now, that's what is lacking in this friendship. So I do feel like your friend is taking advantage of that. And while it's not the easiest thing to say, I think you do need to go. Hey, Like, honestly, I just start off with the truth. Hey, I just really think that this has become quite habitual. Honestly, I don't know how to explain it to you, but I do feel a bit taken advantage of. Like I feel like, you know, the time we went out for dinner, you're not telling me in advance. It just puts me in a really tricky spot because it changes the rest of my week and I had to change my budget and I had to you know, just explaining it. I'm not saying that they deserve an explanation at the end of the day, no is no. But as a people pleasing girly, I want to explain to you why this is, you know, upsetting me or you know, not the right thing to do, And then how can I w with you to make sure that you're okay and I'm okay and we're all in a happy spot, Because I really don't want to lose this friendship. But like, if this just keeps happening, I'm going to end up really frustrated and then you know, I'm probably going to avoid your calls or something, and I don't want to get to that, so what can I do? And I feel like kindness in that circumstance because do you know what your friend probably hasn't even noticed. Yeah, they just expected you to be there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so true.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about what the community said, because it's always the spicy stuff in the dms. So your response is when we said, what are your two cents, we're pretty wild. My friend from high school asked me to borrow fifteen thousand dollars for a house deposit. I obviously told her I didn't have any cash.
Speaker 5: I mean fair.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 5: That's a lot.
Speaker 4: That's like a whole different thing. Again, that's a different story.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Someone else said, I have a personal rule that I never lend money that I would be upset about not getting back. Yeah, that's all. That's like your Someone else said, you're not responsible for your friend. You need to set strong boundaries because that's how she's going to learn. Someone else said, how about in the future, just choosing to arrange free activities, so when they ask to go out for dinners, suggest to walk because they can't afford it anyway, and there will be no tricky conversation. Someone also said, just stay friends, but hang out at the park or free spaces byo snacks and drinks, and then say sorry, I don't have the cash. Next time they ask. Someone else said, if she's a real friend, she won't be offended if you say you're unable to help her financially. That could be a good way of pushing back, which I would agree. Like, you know, if it's a bit confrontational, you're like, I don't really want to tackle this. I would just go next time they ask to cash, be like, oh my god, yess, I would love to, but I actually don't have one hundred dollars cash. Sorry, And then if they say you do, just be like, look, I really don't like you know, heberbills have come up and rawr up, Because even if you do have that cash in the bank, it doesn't mean it is free. Like, it doesn't mean it's able to be lean out. It doesn't mean that you're okay with doing that. And saying well, I actually just don't have the cash to lend out at the moment doesn't mean that you're flat broke. It just means you don't have cash to lend out at the moment, and that is okay, totally. There's been a lot of people saying exactly what I say. So I'll end on this because I think we all want to get to bloops. But someone else said I would never give someone money and expect it back. It's now a gift to see it that way because it will never ruin your friendships, Amen, which I think is really important. I mean, obviously it's way better to pay back. Please pay it back. Don't just expect friends to lend out money and then it be free money. But I think having that mindset is going to keep your friendships intact. Do you have anything to add, guys, please please yes. Our producers Sam and Anna Lisa unfortunately record us when we don't think we're being recorded, and they don't dispose of footage that we think has been disposed of where we've messed up. And they have said that they have put together once again another Blue Briel for us to listen to. So how that we dive straight in. This will be the first time we are hearing it as you guys hear it, because they wouldn't let us hear it before to prepare our responses, which I think is quite rude to talk about it.
Speaker 6: It's been another year. If She's on the money. And while it's been a big one, you'll be happy to know that behind the scenes, a lot of things have stayed the same despite our best efforts. The girls keep getting.
Speaker 2: Gussie when it comes to the inn.
Speaker 4: I had that gurgle that was disgusting.
Speaker 2: I was just going to burb but like a deep burd Did you hear that? It was very sexy? Oh my god.
Speaker 6: And by girls we mean all the girls, even Victoria's dog Lucy.
Speaker 4: And so this outlawing of Lucy. Good god, did she fart? Oh sorry, that's really right? Good, Yeah, she's right there. God, I got her like a with and I was just like stopped working.
Speaker 6: We are, of course, led by Victoria, the pioneer of professionalism, who would never ever struggle with technology.
Speaker 2: Oh did I just press? Did I backspace?
Speaker 1: Ordered?
Speaker 8: I posted I like had my microphone on while I was like in thing, and it transcribed me into the comments section on our Money Wins thread And it started from Helloa malcom to She's on the money.
Speaker 6: Like Beck joined us this year, and she brought a new energy to the show, as well as new interpretations of legal boundaries.
Speaker 5: Actually, I don't know if this is legal, but if you take the step.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is legal.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't. Perhaps I should not, yeah saying it if I don't know.
Speaker 6: We've had the normal fun with everyone's stumbles.
Speaker 2: Miss Jess, can you take us through our community money wins this week?
Speaker 5: Absolutely mousy?
Speaker 4: Yes? Deep?
Speaker 6: Or was she just stripped? She's the top.
Speaker 2: Of our company to the public. So we'll keep sixty percent of it. We're going to issue forty percent of it to the We're going to issue forty percent of it to the public. One is from Cassie, who is talking about rewards cards and kind of sorry, it's gotta get.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 6: Guys don't get to see how unhinged the girls can get if they have to do a whole day of recording. But well, I'll just let this speak for itself.
Speaker 2: Where's your energy? Where's your passion? More passion, more passion, more energy energy.
Speaker 6: It's truly been a big year, and we expect that parenthood for Victoria will surely only make things calmer than this. In twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Four, here are Beck's top tips on creating your perfect portfolio.
Speaker 4: All right, so from.
Speaker 6: Some Harry Potters whisper shit, Now some of you may have noticed a new word made it into Victoria's vocabulary this year. Some have said the excessive use of the word sleigh was too much, but what you all didn't realize was that v was actually getting into the Christmas spirit early.
Speaker 9: Slight slap slack slave like slap, slate slap slap slap sleigh slave slave slife slap slafe sligh like slight, slay slafe like slay slay.
Speaker 6: His to another smart and very very silly year in twenty twenty four, which she's on the money.
Speaker 4: Well, that was slay my favorite episode we've done. Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Love I'm always very impressed with commitment. Sam has to one saving those files because like you don't go back like I don't know, maybe he did go back through all of it, but not only saving them, but also like getting the right tone, like did you hear that sleigh and he puts.
Speaker 5: It into the right time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what a good audio engineer does for you guys.
Speaker 5: That was not as scary as I thought it would be.
Speaker 2: I thought it'd be way more scary. But honestly, like even in that Sam couldn't use all of the illegal stuff. You keep suggesting on the show that's true, twenty twenty four, it would just be like beet beat beat beat, because like we'd just be like censoring out everything you say.
Speaker 5: I remember that for next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Beck's like okay, so yes, have you heard of the five finger discount?
Speaker 5: Yes, we have broad tips. He's steal everything.
Speaker 2: One out of ten. We will not not slip up again. But it has been a year. I am very grateful to have shared the podcast studio with the three of you this year. I feel like we have thrived. I feel like we have also survived. But I also just I'm so grateful, Like I just I love what we do. I cannot believe we are heading into our fifth year of podcasting next year, and we have so much planned for twenty twenty four, and I just I can't wait to share it. Like I kind of want to just like dump it on everyone all in January, but according to our marketing and our content people, that's not how it works.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 2: But no, have the most beautiful New year, guys. I cannot wait to see you bright and fresh and early come the new year. And don't forget subtle plug, we are running your best year yet online goal setting session with me, launching on the seventh of January. So if you're like still feeling a little bit stodgy, not sure, if you have a heap of motivation, I've got you. We're going to set goals together so that you two can have your best year yet, because I just I have a feeling about twenty twenty four. Guys, it's our year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got a good feeling. Got a good feeling.
Speaker 2: Well, enjoy the rest of the day, guys, because it is coming very close to the end of twenty twenty three, and we will see you fresh and early in twenty twenty four. Love you, and we'll see you around.
Speaker 5: Tapping you guys. Bye bye.
Speaker 2: Did By share on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money. Sheper pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine