Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the sit Down. I'm viv Christie, Managing editor of Australian Tennis.
Speaker 2: Magazine, and I'm Matt Trolopa right Afozopen dot Com.
Speaker 1: This week on the sit Down, we catch up with Matt Ebden at an incredible time in his tennis career. He is the world number one in doubles, he's about to return to Wimwaroden where he's been a champion, and he's looking ahead to his Olympic deboot. Matt, thank you for joining us on the sit Down, and you are joining us at a pretty amazing time in your career. Australian Open doubles champion, rolling Garrass semi finalist and world number one in doubles. Talk a bit about those miles stones for us.
Speaker 3: Thanks. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Most recently, well yesterday, just regaining that number one ranking after Roland Garros. You know, we had no points to defend there from last year we lost first for round the close match, so obviously we had our sights set on doing you know, prioritizing the majors and the big tournaments, so to.
Speaker 3: Go pretty deep was nice. We played well.
Speaker 4: I was sort of happy with getting through there, but then on the flip side to lose the semi and then feel that you were actually so close and really could have you know, been one set away from the final and one match away from winning.
Speaker 3: It was then really bittersweet.
Speaker 4: Actually, it was a hard few days to digest that, as much as I was sort of happy of being in that position as well. It's sort of the good and bad thing about tennis. Anytime you get a really good result, you're sort of happy with it, but then at the same time you're like, oh, it's a missed opportunity. So you know, I obviously want to try and capitalize and win all these slams.
Speaker 3: Now, now's the time. You know, we're not getting any younger.
Speaker 4: And no time, like the President where at the peak, at the top of our game, So it's the time for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, and the tour never stops really, So just a few days ago you were at Roland Garrel's playing the semi finals, and now you're on the lawns in the UK preparing for grass court tournaments. Is that one of the most extreme adjustments in professional sports?
Speaker 4: It can be for me, not so much because growing up well, playing a lot of my junior tennis in Perth.
Speaker 3: I played a lot of club and league tennis on grass.
Speaker 4: So I step on the grass court and I feel like I'm just gone into the lounge room in in my living room at home. It feels that comfortable. I feel so natural. For me, it's probably the opposite. It's probably when you finish Miami the hard courts and then you go onto the clay. That first week just doing that training, going onto the clay, you know, all those specific movement patterns, drill patterns for the body. Adapting that way is probably the biggest one for me. But yeah, going back onto the grass is really natural, and yeah it's always a fun, exciting time for me, so I love it.
Speaker 1: So it's fair to say this must be your favorite time of the year.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: You know, we're try and trick ourselves mentally and not be judgmental and on different services.
Speaker 3: I've been out of saying now clay is my equal favorite along with the grass.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's no secret that a lot of the grass court was the hard coret swim with an Aussie Open US then. But now you know, having some better experience old clay and getting that confidence, I would say, and believe that I could really win the French and even now Olympics. With Olympics coming up, it's good timing to start playing well on the clay because it's a big play here too. So but yeah, you know grass court season is the next thing. So yeah, I mean London already going to start hitting on grass today and Queens this next week.
Speaker 2: Matt. We were talking to Stephen Farrett last week on the podcast and you alluded to it before you played a lot of junior tennis in Perth on grass, he said, coming from England to Australia, he couldn't believe how much grass it was in Perth. We're in Melbourne. There's actually not a lot of grass here, like it's at some clubs, but it's mainly in the country. Like, was that the main surface you played on when you grew up and is that why you've got the style you have today?
Speaker 4: It wasn't the main service. I would say hardcourt generally my well birth years, let's call it. I was in South Africa those first ten year of in my life, ten twelve years and then in Perth since then and hardcourt was the main surface for sure. And then in summer in Perth they played. Yeah, we played some Arependance on grass at that junior club level, at Edmund's club level, and they still do and then probably at least half the club's their main surface on in summer it is grass. They're more of tended to hardcourt now, but yeah, it was hard and grass, and then in the winter there was a little bit of clay, but not not too much. So yeah, I guess I grew up from those years of sort of fourteen to eighteen playing at least half my summer tennis on grass. So against men, I was developing my game. So I was learning to servoli use hands. I was playing against guys older than me, so I had to find ways to win strategically and with movement or with hands or craftinness on the court. So I think then all that experience over the years and training on it with guys older than me, even some guys who were twenty years older than me, but you know, they had good craft and.
Speaker 3: Skills that I could learn from and pick up.
Speaker 4: So along with my modern style of the young up and coming player, I was able to learn the slice backhut, even the slice forehead and the servolli out of put balls in bad places on a grass court where you might get a bad bounce out of the court, so that would favor you passing shots.
Speaker 3: You know, all those little things. Now do it in the doubles.
Speaker 2: I wanted to take you back to twenty eighteen. You're probably at the peak of your powers on grass, certainly in singles. You made the den Bosch Semis, the Harler Quarters, pushed Federer very close, scored a top ten win over Gofan at Wimbledon, and made the third round there. So that was an excellent grass court season. I wondered what was clicking for you so well there. I think that season you also reached your career high ranking in singles, and maybe you could also tell us what it was like to face a pretty much peak Roger Federer on a grass court.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: That was definitely one of the best seasons results wise.
Speaker 3: The ranking wise, Yeah, I had.
Speaker 4: I think I hit the top forty that season, so that was my career I for singles thirty nine, I think it was.
Speaker 3: So I think that.
Speaker 4: Came on the back of a year a year and a half of more development and improving my game, my mentality, myself as an athlete on and off the court, and that was just a further progression of playing well that folve months before that, I think I was coming into that grass court season. I don't know, already top fifty or top six, I don't know whatever it was. But I played well at in New Welles or Miami in the six to twelve months before that. Obviously to have that ranking, let's say, and that form and then yeah, coming into the grass court season, I was always confident.
Speaker 3: I think even first.
Speaker 4: Round in Denbatch, I beat Jills Muller, who was defending champion.
Speaker 3: He'd made semis at Wimbled in the year before it beat.
Speaker 4: Rapha, So those are the kind of wins I was having and playing really well, and I sort of knew how on grind at the moment, I was probably playing a sort of top ten level. There was probably you know, eight other guys playing great undrafts, but I was probably somewhere there and that probably showed that. Wimbled and I played I think Goffin was seven in the world at the time and the good grass quarter and I beat him in straight sets, so that was a you know, good got through to the third round, unfortunately lost to Jill Simon seven six in the fourth set, and I hadn't actually.
Speaker 3: Lost to him ever before.
Speaker 4: I'd beaten him the both the two times before, and so probably thought I could have maybe should have is a bad word, but I could have won that one. Then pushed on maybe to the fourth round or quarters or something great.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't to be.
Speaker 4: But yeah, same the week before Halley One, some good matches there. Beat Corl Schreiber that you know, German favorite. He had obviously won there in Halley before, so to beat him and then to play Roger after that was a dream come true if I had won, But yeah, it wasn't wasn't quite able to win.
Speaker 3: Lost close match he's had seven six, seven five. I think it was. Was the first one to break serve.
Speaker 4: Actually I was up a break in the second set twice I served for the second set, So yeah, for me, I just really wanted to at least get the second set there and have a chance at the third. I don't know if I would have won or not, but I was playing well enough to I thought, having to have a chance at a third set and try and knock him off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was number one in the world at that time, he'd.
Speaker 4: Won a ten times in a row. He was in his favorite and maybe one Wimbledon that year as well. But so yeah, yeah, that was a nice period for me. I'd obviously always wanted to get to the top ten myself, let's say, never quite hit the actual number, but I did feel a certain periods on the right surfaces and conditions in my career that I played let's call a top ten level.
Speaker 3: So probably some of those months they're all grass.
Speaker 4: As a grasscourt player, I was probably playing that sort of a level, and that's why it gave me those.
Speaker 3: Results that I had and the chances I had against Roger.
Speaker 4: And then at Wimbledon then yeah, obviously in Denbosh the week before that too, and then yeah, I'm glad it's obviously kicked on for grass court double success obviously.
Speaker 3: You know, to then be able to win Wimbledon in the doubles a few years later. Yeah, it was. I said at the time, it was more than I could ever dreamed of. I didn't I didn't even dream of it. Being left good.
Speaker 1: Where does that achievement sit, Matt in everything that you've achieved in tennis.
Speaker 3: I think it's probably number one.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I had at the time, and then even winning Aussy this year it would maybe equal it or come close.
Speaker 3: But I mean, we all know what Wimbledon is. It's kind of like folklore.
Speaker 4: You know. It's even not even just as tennis players or people in tennis, as people in South America who don't watch tennis, who play football, that.
Speaker 3: They know what Wimbledon is. You know, they know who won Wimbledon. It's sort of I don't know it. It has a special aura about it, and I think even as Ossie's we kind of identify as Wimbledon as well.
Speaker 4: It's not our home Slam, but our second home Slam, let's say, is the last one hundred years, we've had some many great Ozzie champions win there and singles, doubles, men's, women's, mixed, doubles, whatever.
Speaker 3: It has such a great heritage for us, and there even as a kid, my parents and my family took me there when I was I.
Speaker 4: Think about seven years old to go watch and uh yeah, just those special early memories and then you know, to win women and then even coming back to OZ and seeing how that was so well received and seeing how many people did actually stay up all those late nights and watch the matches.
Speaker 3: And follow online and in the media, and yeah.
Speaker 4: For that, even though two weeks after I came back, he was a it was a real big buzz and just to sort of.
Speaker 3: Go be a part of that, and yeah, I don't know my name part.
Speaker 4: Of that was kind of surreal in a lot of ways, but it was very special and yeah, very very grateful that that one went away.
Speaker 1: And what's it like going back to the All England Club as a Wimbledon champion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a little bit spooky.
Speaker 4: It's you kind of walked through there and well, the year coming back if we'd won it, Yeah, I'm back through the doors.
Speaker 3: You see your name on the wall on the champion board.
Speaker 4: And obviously all those great feelings and emotions fill you up inside from day one and sort of through the old tournament and you kind of play with definitely an extra confidence but also maybe an extra freedom because you feel like this is great.
Speaker 3: I know I play well here, I know I'm one of the favorites, let's say.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, you know you have already done it and achieved it too, so it's you know, no one can take that away.
Speaker 3: From you, so you kind of.
Speaker 4: Able to kind of draw on the best part of the confidence and let's say, obviously the pressure of being a favorite, but maybe pressure is also awful a little because you've won it before. So it's a super nice feeling. And to know that for the rest of your life, I can come back to Wimbledon, you know, as a member, guest, or play the legends or something one day and when I'm eighty five years old, come back and watch with my wife something that it's a nice thought to have.
Speaker 1: What is the tournament like generally? Could you maybe explain it to our listeners who haven't been lucky enough to experience it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Wimbledon it's a hard one to really explain.
Speaker 4: I feel like any other tournament during the fifty two weeks I could really explain really well.
Speaker 3: But there's something about Wimbledon.
Speaker 4: It's tradition, it's history, or it's kind of small, it's the intimate. Even cener court that's for another discussion. We'll talk about senate court. It's a whole different ballgame of itself. But the grounds, the tournament in general, Yeah, there's not too many other things like it. I think in sport you might have to look at some of the most famous Hallard cricket pitches or locker rooms around the world, or for other sports fans to empathize with those feelings of how it really is. But yeah, as a player, it's there isn't anything like it. It's sort of hard to explain until someone goes there and sees it. But I think as a fan, I think it's I mean, it's probably we're stuck in the stories in our own head of you know, the tradition, the hundreds of years of things we've seen on TV, the great champions, we've seen.
Speaker 3: It all around the world.
Speaker 4: But as a fan, I think if you go there, I think it's the it's the intimacy. I think it's that everything is.
Speaker 3: Slightly more bunched up, even center court. It's it's it's incredible, it's it's got an aura about it. But it's not the biggest court in the world.
Speaker 4: The fans are really into it, obviously, they are extremely well educated fans. They're being around Wimbledon for fifty years themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just it's it's hard to explain. I mean, yeah, if.
Speaker 4: If you get the chance, go to Wimbledon and see what I'm talking about, and you'll sort of hopefully get some of that mystic kind of a feel and an aura of that tradition that we feel and experience going there. That there is different I suppose also British summer. You know, everything comes to life a bit. There's still kind of cool, but Chris, everyone's sort of super happy. If it's funny. Yeah, it's there's a lot of special things about it. But yeah, if you can't get there, take my word for it. It's it's a special place. It's a hallowed turf. There's a special aura and the mysticness, let's say about it. But yeah, really did get the chance. If you get the chance, go and visit.
Speaker 2: I haven't been since twenty nineteen and I just want to jump on a plane after hearing you say that Viv is going, Yeah, Viv is about to go.
Speaker 1: You've got me excited for the English summer.
Speaker 2: We know you've been very generous with your time, Matt, thank you so much. We've got one more, if that's all right. It's about Australian tennis because also there's a fair bit of strength in those ranks too. We've got an enormous amount of guys in the top one hundred. There's what Demon's doing. He's become a top ten player. You referenced Davis carb Australia is the thing, the finalist the last two years. You've been involved in Australian tennis for a long time. Now, How like encouraged are you with like the current crop and where the strength of Assy tennis is right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very exciting and I think it's again it's a progression of all the work that everyone's done behind the scenes and then the grassroots the last fifteen years.
Speaker 4: I would say when I came up broke in top hundred, I think only Layton was still top hundred when I came out, I think I was number two, and then obviously Tomic came and then Nick and that came later. But it was at some point there was only two of us in top hundred, whereas previously there'd always been five to ten guys at least. And then since that point, I'm proud to say that there was then started to become always five or eight or ten or have a many top hundred and it's you know, people take it a bit for granted too, how odd it is and we sit here and we throw out numbers of these guys winning as many Slams and the many people in the top hundred. But it's incredibly, incredibly art the ranking system to get that many points at the top level in a twelve month period, to have a ranking of the top hundred, and that's why you see only every ten years there's only unfortunately only ever, I don't know, it's six to ten of us or these players making the top one hundred from Australia or from any country really, because the level is that hard and it demands so much physically, mentally, emotionally, financially, and even be from Australia, what I've seen and everyone's shared this, yeah, even geographically it's very difficult.
Speaker 3: We basically have.
Speaker 4: To live away nearly the whole year away from home, friends, family, since you're sixteen, seventeen, eighteen years of age through it till into your thirty.
Speaker 3: So your whole life almost as an adult.
Speaker 4: And you know that's incredibly demanding, and there's thousands of variables that go into that. I think us I can say to a lot of the young kids coming up or their parents or coaches when they say, oh, the schedule, they going my yeah, but being a good tennis players almost irrelevant. That's the easy part. You know, anyone can be a good tennis player. But and you put together a career where you have ten year in the top hundred overseas, the whole time away from your support system, your friends, your family, your home, living with travel, you know, dealing with all those things physically, mentally, emotionally, relationships, coaches, all those things. So it's a lot. But I'm proud that there are I think five or six guys in that top hundred now again and then still and some more pushing and some more coming back, let's say. And similarly on the women's side, I think the women they also had a few stronger years there and a couple of that being injured and lost ranking a bit. It would be nice to see another four or five of the girls push up into that top hundred and really solidify us as you know, one of the top three four tennis nations on the planet. Obviously, Yeah, like you say, two Davis Cup finals, we've been able to do that on the men's side, so you know, we're obviously right up there and strong, and obviously the girls coming off the back of Ash being world number one, and hopefully that can inspire them to push on up as well, and then some coming back from injury again, I know. So it's yeah, it's an exciting time for Australian tennis. But I think, yeah, it's also a result in a combination of processes and players that were put in place a good fifteen years ago. I watched them change and take place before my eyes and I've benefited from a lot of them, just the support, the structures, the networks that they were sort of trying to build and give players the self responsibility to and in this tennis life, that's what it's all about.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: You can give the people help you and whatever, but in the end, we're the only ones out there at the tournament, scanning the points on the court, winning the matches, doing the hard yards, doing the tough things, and it's important we have a lot of support and help as well, but it's you know, ultimately comes down to the players being self empowered.
Speaker 2: Well, viv the time could be right for Ebden to do just.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, and I really hope we have a chance to chat to him about those experiences. So we'll be back next week with another episode of the Sitdown, and in the meantime into John and the team on the AO Show.
Speaker 2: Weekly and details for how to contact us are in the show notes below, and as always, remembered to subscribe, rate, and review. We'll see you next week five.
Speaker 1: Look forward to it, Matt