Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week that Life. Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for clicking and downloading on today's episode with Farmer Dean from Farmer Wants a Wife, which continues this Sunday night at seven thirty on Channel seven. This twenty two year old third generation cattle and crop farmer has had his own contracting business, working on other farms since he was a teenager. He also runs the farm in partnership with his dad. Tom has a practical approach to life and a seriousness that is tempered by a genuine ability to laugh at himself. He loves traveling, enjoys country music festivals and horse shows, and for Tom, falling in love is one of the most important things in life and is very serious about finding the one that approaches it all with good humor. We will unpack Farmer Dean's decision to leave the show early. We talk about missing out on meeting potential latecomers and if he felt that the remaining girls had pushed him into making a decision quicker than he had planned. We will get some interest insights into the pressures of his farm life and how the recent droughts had affected his mentality. During production, I'm also going to find out how and what his dating history had been like in the past, and if he let his previous partners know that he was going to be on national television. There is so much to unpack with Farmer Dean, So sit back and relax as we unpack the wonderful world of Farmer Wants a Wife. How have you been like? This must be so exciting to be a part of a show like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty wild, pretty bit of an eye open and that's for sure.
Speaker 1: While all the other farmers are starting out and they're starting to build their relationships, it kind of feels like you've already settled up your tab at the bar. Did it shock you to that you found a connection so fast with one of the girls?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so like I have probably won that Paul for one pretty quickly. I guess it's better than orn for all of them, your four for one more than the others. It's just the I guess, it's just the way of It's just feelings, I guess.
Speaker 1: I mean, I could see from the very first time he saw tea again. I was like, Oh, I can see some connection there. There was definitely some sparks. You mentioned this in the show a couple of times about being maybe a soul mate. Do you think Tigan and you do have some soulmate traits that are going on here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, we probably do. Yeah, that's for sure, Like we we probably have a lot in common. I guess you could say that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you pick her to be the first to go back to the farm because you did pick someone else, and I was curious about what that decision making process was like for you in that first episode.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess I sort of. Tegan and I probably hit it off pretty well on the speed date, and I just thought, maybe it's just best to try and get to know someone else.
Speaker 1: The show's kind of odd, isn't it, Because it's not how things happen.
Speaker 3: In real life.
Speaker 1: There's no way that you would walk into a b ands and go on six dates, do you know what I mean? Like it's an unusual situation for anyone to be in.
Speaker 2: Oh, one hundred percent, it's so wild, Like you know, like the speed dates and everything like that. You know, you get to know, eight women in a day, Like, that's definitely not something I've done before, but you know, like, yeah, it's ridiculous, crazily Well.
Speaker 1: I guess before we get into more of this, I was curious to know about how you're experience was with filming this show. Was this anything like you expected?
Speaker 2: I didn't really know what to expect, and I when I was chosen to be one of the one of the farmers, I was literally going in pretty pretty blind. I guess you could say, like, I guess all the farmers were like, it's just I guess I didn't know what to expect.
Speaker 3: What was your dating history like before doing this show?
Speaker 1: Had you been in many relationships before signing up for Farmer Wants a Wife?
Speaker 2: I sort of. I've only been in probably two. Yeah, probably before this show. I probably only one real serious relationship.
Speaker 1: And did you speak to her before doing the show? Where you did you try and clear that out with her just to make sure that she wasn't you know, just walking through the house one day and see on one of the commercials. What sort of communication did you have with her before taking part of the show.
Speaker 2: Nothing? Really, We probably we sort of when we went separate ways were just we sort of went separate ways and we both didn't really stay in contact.
Speaker 1: She'll be getting a surprise, She'll be driving along a freeway and see your big mug on a banner on a billboard somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, bloody hell.
Speaker 3: You missed out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Did you worry about any you know, like if I was to do a show like this, I'd worry about, you know, if there's any any bodies that need to be buried, any skeletons that are in the closet. Do producers ask you about any of that kind of stuff? Do they have conversations about anything in your past that you might be worried about surfacing during you know, being on the show.
Speaker 2: Yes and no, Like they ask you about your past, and yeah, they go through you a fair bit, which is bloody fantastic, Like you got to you got to do a fair bit to get on the show. But I was very honest and yeah, like I me and my past relationship don't really have any bad blood. Like obviously we don't talk every day and we don't ring each other every every month or any but we we probably ended on pretty good terms. I guess you'd say, well, I guess.
Speaker 1: It was interesting fatigue, and because there was this moment where you guys were all together in a social situation for the first time and you got this message from someone else saying that she may have a boyfriend on the outside. How did you deal with getting that text message?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was I don't know. I guess it was a bit of a bit of a shock, but yeah, I don't know. I don't really know what to think of it. Really. I was love too. I love the proteo phased about it. To be completely honest.
Speaker 3: Who sent you the message?
Speaker 1: Was it the guy that was claiming that he was an ex boyfriend or was it one of the other girls from the other farms?
Speaker 3: How did you get that message?
Speaker 2: I seriously don't know it was It comes through on a on a fake account, and yeah, I don't really know what to expect, but yeah, it comes through on a fake account and had zero followers, So I don't really know what happened. It was a little bit bit fishy.
Speaker 1: It sounds to me like someone's created a fake account and then tried to create a fake rumor.
Speaker 3: I guess that's kind of what's happened.
Speaker 1: The other thing I was going to say was, you know, Tiff was away talking to the girls from Tom's farm, and she was talking to Taylor. She came over with this message and said to you guys, what's the deal? What's going on? Do you think it was the right way for Tiff to come and approach that situation with everyone there, or do you think she could have tried to bring you aside and talk to you about that message?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess she has every right to ask a question, definitely, like she was in the in the love game, so obviously she was fighting for me too. If it makes them yeah, I can, I can totally. I can totally agree her for that, But I probably think maybe she could have went about it in a different way, like it did sort of upset Teager out their bit.
Speaker 1: Oh she stormed off, Yeah, that's right, And then did she was she very clear about the fact that she didn't have a boyfriend on the outside, But did you ask for her to try and prove that anyway? Like what sort of conversations did you have that helps you guys get back to a better place.
Speaker 2: I've seen her pro seeing Teague and how upset she was sort of gave me a fair indication like if it was if it was true, I think it would have come through on a on a normal account, if that makes sense, absolutely, seeing her how upset she was, Yeah, it was. It wasn't very nice.
Speaker 1: I kind of feel like in some ways, having a bit of drama to unpack between the two of you almost brought the two of you together. So whoever tried to create this drama kind of backfight in their face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly like it just it probably brought us closer, if that makes sense. Like it's a bit it's a bit different to say, but brought us closer together. And you know, seeing how it said she was and just made me probably look out for her a bit more.
Speaker 1: And I guess it kind of put some clarity on the other relationships as well, because it was interesting. Bella said that you two were from different worlds, and she talked about that right from the start. When did you figure out that maybe you weren't a match with Bella.
Speaker 3: Day one?
Speaker 1: When you brought it back to the farm, when she took it, When did you take off her map?
Speaker 2: It's hard, you got to you gotta can't just say that, you know what I mean? You got to got to be nice about it.
Speaker 3: I think you answered the question with not answering the questions.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, I don't know. Yeah, it was probably when a few attach things happened on the farm. Like obviously I said to the girls all the time, I said, farming is not easy, you know, like it's a way of life. It's not it's not just a job. It's it's a lifestyle. It's not always fun games. It's not always you know, he's going to speed cows or have funnel, you know, driver around the farm and look at the view. You got to get down and dirty and have a crack, you know, like you just you got to give an inca crack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did kind of look a little out of place.
Speaker 1: I was thinking, I don't know if you're I think she looks like she'd have a good time on a like a montage of being a farmer's wife. But I don't know if she'd do very well with the long haul, you know, with the day to day.
Speaker 2: No. I think it's being from a big city and coming to you know, being from a big city and coming to countries not Don't get me wrong, it's not easy, like it I couldn't. I couldn't move from the country to the city, if that makes sense. And it's the same for her, I guess, you know, like it was probably bit of an eye opener for her, you know, like she's done it, I guess, and she's like, yeah, okay, well yeah, I've done it. Now.
Speaker 1: It's a culture shock for a lot of people, and you know, being remote and changing your lifestyle at that age, I mean, it's a big undertaking for anyone.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 1: I guess it's a hard thing to realize until you're actually there. And maybe Bella herself got there and realized that this isn't for her, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Mean, Yeah, exactly right, And we did talk about that, Dean.
Speaker 1: I just was going to say, my favorite thing about you is that you have no poker face, like no poker face at all, and the remaining girls seem to get they were onto you with your whole relationship progressing with someone else. Is that something that happens to you and you're you know it happened to you in the past that people have claimed that you have no poker face.
Speaker 2: Yes, So, like it's it's just it's just so I am really, I guess I'm not the biggest thing, I don't try and actively someone who I'm not.
Speaker 1: Would you have gone along with the whole? Will they won't they get together? If Tiffany and Bella didn't put the pressure on to sort of speed things up.
Speaker 2: Probably like it was, they were both pretty out there. I guess you could say like they were both pretty out there. I didn't. I didn't know if I didn't know if they could be on the farm. That was the biggest thing, Like I don't know if I could. I guess it sort she thought through my head like I went and when I spokeus to some of my very good mates and my very good friends, and I just said, what do you think?
Speaker 3: And what are they say?
Speaker 1: So? And so then what happened is that because you leave. I mean, that was one awkward dinner that you decided to leave, and we got to see you driving away. It had me wondering whether or not you're just were afraid of conflict, or whether you were going away to speak to some outside sources to get some advice on what to do next.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I guess it was very I was very stressed out, I tell you the truth. Drama and all that sort of stuff is definitely not for Farmer Dean. I hate drama. That is my pet hate. Obviously, that was a fair going through my head at the time. I was very very stressed out, like things on the farm weren't in a very good state, Like we were in the worst drought we've ever seen on the farm, and you know, having that, and you know you've got to think of you You still got to think of your future, like your livelihood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I mean that's that is one of the other pressures that I don't think people have seen talking about the drought. You know, those sort of factors would be so overwhelming, especially when you're trying to consider other people while being on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, exactly right. It was bloody, absolutely wild. I guess you could.
Speaker 1: Say, well, actually, a good question to ask, was it even possible, because this is something that came up with the girls, was it even possible for Tiff and Beller to maybe put some more effort in because Teak and did sort of say, well are you putting any effort in? And you know, sort of ask them you already made up your mind. Was there anything possible for Tiff and Beller to do?
Speaker 2: At that point, I wouldn't say I had in my mind made up. By then, I was still in a pretty big Like at the dinner, I was still in a pretty big I was still pretty very confused to what to do and what to you know, like is it too early to give it a crack with teagan an eye? Like is it I need to get try and get to know these girls too a bit more like when they come out and just want to start drama. I was just like, that is not to me, Like, you know, it's not who I am. And I'm like, it's not who I am, it's you know, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Did you ever speak to those girls again? Was the last time that you ever saw them on camera? Or have you reached out and tried to have a conversation with you to say what went wrong? Like have you ever seen those girls again?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen them again, but I have I have flung them a message and said I hope you will okay, And I just just you know, just to keep no bad blood, if that makes sense. Like I'm I'm a very loving person. I'm very caring person. I don't hold any grudges with anyone, and I hope no one holds any grudges with me.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed watching them packing actually and leaving, because I was really happy for you and Tiagan. At that point, I was like, those girls could leave, this is totally fine. When did you realize that Teagan was the right pick for you? You didn't pick it to go to the farm the first time, but you knew there was a connection. Was it the very next time you saw her?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: When did you realize that you guys had a spark that was probably bigger than anyone else's.
Speaker 2: Probably when I felt a really really big spark was our solo died together.
Speaker 1: It helps when you've got giraffes and ronoceros's and it's a really pretty setting.
Speaker 2: You know, I could just spend one on one time together with Sagan.
Speaker 1: You didn't want to hang around and wait to see if there was any intruder ladies. I mean, you're normally in Farmer once a wife. You get another two girls that turn up. Were you worried about, you know, making this decision too early and missing out and seeing these other two girls?
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously it was. That was a key point of it. I was very stressed out on the far time, Like obviously we were in the worst worst drought, and I was just likely how like I was just I was I was like, I was very stressed, and I just thought, you know, Segan and I had a pretty strong connection by the by the end there, and we just yeah, I don't know, it would have been I guess it was. It would have took something pretty good to come into that connection.
Speaker 1: Do you think that you'll keep up some of those romantic dates, because the last time that we saw the two of you, I loved the fact that you were in this barn with the candles and everything. It was very romantic. Moving away from the show where you've probably got a hand to set up some of those dates, do you think it's a lot of pressure for you to try and live up to creating some of that romance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I'm pretty I'm a pretty romantic sort of person, I reckon.
Speaker 1: I kept looking at those the you know, the all of these candles burning in these barns with a lot of hay, and I just felt really nervous. It looked really pretty because you've got like a John Mayer song playing in the background, But I was like, is that a fire has it.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping that they are like lights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally, it was. It was crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess the only other question to ask you at this point is was calling this relationship early? Has that put too much pressure on tag In? You know, she looked pretty excited to find out that the other girls had been sent home and you were going to give her the shot. But you know, like any relationship, sometimes when you declare how you feel too early, sometimes it can be a lot of pressure. How did she feel with that? Did she feel like it's a lot it's too much pressure at this point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously it was a lot of pressure we had. Yeah, it was. It was a fair bit, but yeah, it was. Yeah, obviously it was. It was pretty we had We had a lot of fun, that's for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I really do hope that things work out. I'm looking forward to a reunion episode to see how things have gone, which I think is going to be very exciting. What is something that I ask everyone who joins this podcast is what's something from behind the scenes. What's something fun that happened while you were filming this that we might not get a chance to see, Like, what was something fun that happened during production good in.
Speaker 2: The middle of the farmers and have a video with them you made for life.
Speaker 3: Definitely, have you kept in contact with everyone else?
Speaker 1: And let's maybe it'll be fun to put them in order, like who's who's your favorite farmers?
Speaker 2: I couldn't pick a favorite, I said, sh you would not pick a favorite farmer like all the boy I get along with all the boys so well, and I account them one of my very very good all my best mates. I can. I couldn't pick a favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you have a group WhatsApp chat that you can communicate? Like, what's the best way to keep in touch with all them?
Speaker 2: With them all, oh, we give each other a bit of a core or thought that are so often Yeah, it's just it's just good to see. Like obviously Bird's not too far from where I live. Yeah, yeah, but it's only like an hour hour, so you know, you know that's not too far.
Speaker 1: Well, Dean, I just want to say it's so nice to catch up with you. I feel like I've interrogated you, but I feel like, out of all the farmers at this point, with you finishing up early, there's just so many questions, so many loose ends that you know, definitely people are going to want to want to know those answers too, So I'm sorry if I went a little to sixty minutes on you, but I've absolutely loved watching you on this show. I think that you're so fantastic and I'm looking forward to watching Australia, you know, fall in love with you throughout this journey and good luck with this relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you very much,